Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: BUSTing Trolls, Part Deux
The BUST Lounge > Forums > As the World Turns
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77
mornington
saaaaamooosaaaa

ahem. yes. sorry, too much custard.
pepper
AP have you tried that homemade nutella recipe yet? president's choice has a non-hydrogenated version as well, it's pretty tasty. i go for the spoon in mouth method myself.

i'm going to be in toronto in a few days for a few days and i swear, alls i'm a gonna do is stuff my fat little pregnant face. dim sum, ethiopian curry on injera, thai, greek, thali, baccus roti, the rice bowl in kensington, indian, lebanese, chicken paprikash! oh my. i can't wait!
pollystyrene
Le Boy and I tried a new taqueria by us earlier this week and we unintentionally got tacos with the two greasiest meats on the menu- chorizo and al pastor (marinated pork with onions). They were sooooo good though, and somehow I didn't get sick afterwards. I don't think I'll chance it again- maybe I'll get one or the other.

Mmm, samosas. I've never had fresh ones- the frozen ones from Trader Joe's are pretty damn good though. I have had the Ethiopian equivalent, though, called sambusas. Those are really good....now I want Ethiopian food.

ETA: Ha, Pepper, we must be on the same wavelength- your post wasn't there when I was posting about Ethiopian food!
pepper
oh that is the FIRST place i'm going when i get there, straight from the airport. i've been drool-dreaming about that injera for DAYS now, it's a torment. that restaurant better still be around or i'm gonna eat SomeBody!
bunnyb
mmm chorizo. I meece chorizo.

I luuuuurve mango chutney (never tasted green); NOW I want Indian, maybe next weekend when boy is here.

So, damn you all. I changed my dessert plans so I could have nutella on a toasted waffle with sliced banana (the diet is week long with the weekend off!).
turbojenn
sooooo.....hungry.....*drools*

Polly - have you been to Wholly Frijoles on Touhy in Skokie? That's our favorite mexican ever...and BYOB. So delicious.
pollystyrene
No, I haven't made it there yet. My favorite is Tecalitlan (on Chicago Ave., between Ashland & Damen) Best guacamole and steak anything (I know you can't eat that- I'm sure their pork stuff is good, too!)

Maybe we'll try Wholly Frijoles when I get a job (I keep making that excuse, but I think we've been out to eat more this week than when I was employed- bad, bad, bad.)
girlygirlgag
QUOTE(pepper @ Jan 21 2007, 08:35 PM) *

oh that is the FIRST place i'm going when i get there, straight from the airport. i've been drool-dreaming about that injera for DAYS now, it's a torment. that restaurant better still be around or i'm gonna eat SomeBody!

DON'T MESS WITH THE PREGNANT LADY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I swear if I ever got pregnant I would embroider that on all of my clothes biggrin.gif

QUOTE(bunnyb @ Jan 21 2007, 08:38 PM) *

mmm chorizo. I meece chorizo.

I luuuuurve mango chutney (never tasted green); NOW I want Indian, maybe next weekend when boy is here.

So, damn you all. I changed my dessert plans so I could have nutella on a toasted waffle with sliced banana (the diet is week long with the weekend off!).

The green is onion, cilantro and mint.

I eat it just on plain basmati.

Wreaks havoc on your breath though.
raisingirl
1) I love samosas.

2) I love pakoras even more than samosas.

3) Crap, now I want saag panner.

4) I think I'm walking distance to, like, TEN Indian restaurants.

5) AHHHH! Injera! Its spongy goodness underneath a pile of greens. ::fans self::

6) Damn you, all of you. cool.gif I'm supposed to be wearing a bathing suit next month and I still want to lose 7 pounds! ::claps hands over eyes::
pollystyrene
LOL, GGG!!

I've only had Ethiopian once and it was unbelievable. It's a place in Chicago called Ethiopian Diamond and I don't have anything to compare it to, but I've heard the flavor of their injera is very unique. It took me awhile to get used to the texture of it- it's so fleshy, but in a good way- it reminded me of fake skin they make out of latex. It was so fun. The only thing I got that I didn't like was their steak tartar- I'm not sure why it bothered me- it was just too much raw meat. I figured I eat most meat cooked rare and I eat sushi, how bad could it be? They gave us a huge portion of it and it was just overwhelming. But the lentils, greens, chicken, everything else was wonderful.

I just read one of the reviews for it- someone said this place was better than any Ethiopian they had in Toronto- I dunno, pepper, you might have to just come here!
auralpoison
My Maude, Tes, you really are my sister from another mother. As soon as I read "apples & Stilton", I thought, "pears & Stilton." Not only are we like-minded perverts, but we digs the same foods. I make a Stilton cheesecake that would break your heart.

Um, HB ordered all the food last night & he gave me a wrapped package of the special naan when he dropped me off this morning. He won't kiss me after the naan since GGG is right, it makes you have STINKY breath. I've been enjoying it, though. That man is too good to me.

Oh, I love the Ethiopian tartare! I've gotten to know the owner of our best local Ethiopian place & she always kicks me down the best shit. I may not know what I'm eating, but I like it.
culturehandy
Somehow my popcorn with dill pickle seasoning doesn't seem so satisfying anymore!
auralpoison
I like my popcorn with fresh grated parm when I eat it! Which I usually don't...
ginger_kitty
I finally got around to trying Nutella, and fell in love!! Very Yummy!

Saag panner is my favorite Indian food, with lots of naan to dip in it!! *drools* I could eat it everyday.
girlygirlgag
Popcorn of any kind is always my pleasure.
pepper
pop. corn. mmm.

melt some honey in with the butter and sprinkle garlic powder with the salt or just garlic salt. honey garlic popcorn! it's so flipping good.

curry powder is awesome on popcorn too.

or nutritional yeast. mix some soy sauce in with the butter for that one. yum.

ok, i have to leave this thread now, the injera talk is making me really uncomfortable. it's days and DAYS away and i just can't take it!
turbojenn
Polly's right pepper, you just might have to come to chicago for some good Ethiopian....Ethiopian Diamond is the very best I've had, and its less than a mile from my place. Come crash as chez turbo, and we'll have a giant bustie feast at the Diamond! And then....we'll go a mile south for some good indian food. MMmmmmm.

I want Indian SO bad now.
bunnyb
We don't have any Ethiopian restaurants here sad.gif; in fact, no restaurants serving African cuisine at all. We don't have a huge African population, although that is improving. Perhaps mornington and I could go for Ethiopian the next time I'm in London?
pollystyrene
I'm not a huge popcorn fan (I love the smell, but it always gets so stuck in my teeth!) but last night I needed something munchie. We remembered that Le Boy's cousins got us some gourmet popcorn for Christmas from this place. We tried the Southwest Cheddar Chipotle and the Cinnamon Creme Drizzle Corn. OMG- so good.

Honey and garlic do sound surprisingly good, though!
mornington
yes! someone who wants to go for ethiopian. i know of several and no-one ever wants to go with me.

mm, popcorn. my dog likes popcorn as much as i do - my grandmother took to feeding him all sorts. mind you, i just gave him leftover custard, so... unsure.gif

i find the pears for pears and stilton have to be hard and not sweet at all; apples are easier to judge. stilton cheesecake, AP?
auralpoison
Oh, yes. They MUST be hard. I like my pears that way. Apples induce nausea in me. Any kind. I dunno why. I can forward the recipe for the cheesecake if you like...
mornington
*shudder* soft pears

yes please, AP! I'm collecting cheesecake recipies for when i next have my friend H round. He is my cheesecake-testmonkey
doodlebug
Apple slices and jarlsburg. Mmm. Love.

I am out of chocolate. Won't someone walk to the 7-Eleven for me???
pixiedust
Ok..so Mr. Pixie decided tonight that HE was in the mood for ice, so who am I to argue! So we went to the cold stone and i had somethign called "for coffee lovers only"! It was coffee ice cream with caramel, toasted almonds and heath bar! OMG...so good! And it even satisfied my Starbucks craving since it tasted a lot like a caramel macciato!
kickitkickitkickit
QUOTE(girlygirlgag @ Jan 21 2007, 04:19 PM) *

Popcorn of any kind is always my pleasure.

Caramel corn = heaven.
I'm with you when it comes to popcorn. I absolutely love the stuff!
tesao
oooooooooooooo, ethiopian!!!

*drools*

no ethiopian restos here, either. doro wat. yum yum yum.

i am SO hungry. i didn't bring a lunch today and i'm waiting for a colleague who said he would go out with me (our other usual lunch partner also forgot his lunch, but refuses to go out in the 39 C degree weather).

maybe i will eat fresh grilled grouper. or humungous shrimp. THOSE i can get here!!!

bunnyb
okay, I can see the troll/newbie's point -and have made it myself- about us not always being newbie friendly (certainly in this instance but we shouldn't just get over abuse with a click of the fingers) but using the fact that some of us know each other really well and have in-jokes against us? is that such a bad thing? we're not trying to exclude others, but it's testament to the lounge being a friendly and caring place.

sorry for being o/t above: cottage cheese and pineapple on ryvita rocks! (ok, it's lovely but I may be bigging it up just a tad to maintain in positive eating mode).
girlygirlgag
Actually, nobody was really unfriendly to the "newbie" until the shitstorm.

I never have problems with newbies unless they are trolls.
kickitkickitkickit
QUOTE(bunnyb @ Jan 22 2007, 11:10 AM) *

[color=#33CC00]okay, I can see the troll/newbie's point about us not always being newbie friendly (certainly in this instance but we shouldn't just get over abuse with a click of the fingers)

No of course not. This is going to take some time and I'm fine with that. And please, don't refer to me as a troll.

QUOTE(bunnyb @ Jan 22 2007, 11:10 AM) *

but using the fact that some of us know each other really well and have in-jokes against us? is that such a bad thing? we're not trying to exclude others, but it's testament to the lounge being a friendly and caring place.

No, it's not a bad thing. I just haven't fit in yet which is nothing against any of you and your friendships. I think as more time passes I'll be able to fit in and be accepted. Back to good eats?

Indian food was mentioned earlier in this thread and I must say that before I moved there was an indian restauraunt on the end of my street. I always ordered the chana masala and veggie samosas. mmmmm.

bunnyb
I didn't say we were; the unfriendliness came about after her bad reaction.

eta: as you can see I referred to you as troll STROKE newbie; it's up to the individual to decide which one they think you are, as far as I can determine you haven't yet proven yourself one way or the other. However, I am willing to give you the benefit of the doubt as you are obviously trying to integrate yourself into the lounge.
girlygirlgag
OKay, newbie, QUIT SENDING ME PM's I DON'T LIKE YOU OR WANT TO BE YOUR FRIEND.
kickitkickitkickit
QUOTE(bunnyb @ Jan 22 2007, 11:30 AM) *

I didn't say we were; the unfriendliness came about after her bad reaction.

eta: as you can see I referred to you as troll STROKE newbie; it's up to the individual to decide which one they think you are, as far as I can determine you haven't yet proven yourself one way or the other. However, I am willing to give you the benefit of the doubt as you are obviously trying to integrate yourself into the lounge.

Thank you. I'm trying smile.gif
bunnyb
ggg, there's an option to block PMs under my controls (on left-hand side).

kickit, it will take a lot to win some of us over, if you can, but don't try to force yourself onto particular posters if they're not being receptive, ok? smile.gif.
kickitkickitkickit
Edit: Not adding fuel to the fire.
And yes, will be blocking her pm.
girlygirlgag
QUOTE(bunnyb @ Jan 22 2007, 04:37 PM) *

ggg, there's an option to block PMs under my controls (on left-hand side).

kickit, it will take a lot to win some of us over, if you can, but don't try to force yourself onto particular posters if they're not being receptive, ok? smile.gif.

Thankyou Bunny, you are a life saver.
sixelacat
'Kay, Imma need AP's stilton cheesecake recipe now! Can I make it with the stilton with ginger I have in the fridge? Oooh, or the stilton with lemon peel.........maybe I'll make two! And dust off the espresso maker while I'm at it......
pollystyrene
You do know how to block PM's, don't you ggg? Go into your control panel where all your mail is; click on PM Buddies/Block List on the left side. Add the persons name in the field at the bottom. Select "No" in the drop-down menu where it says "Allow this member to message you?" Ta-dah!

Makes life so much easier.

Mmm, so my post in Midwestern Mamas about what I'm bringing to the Super Bowl game I'm going to now has me craving my appetizer- you take Pillsbury crescent rolls, the kind that come in perforated triangle shapes and cut all the triangles in half. Mix up chive cream cheese and chopped bacon. Put a small-ish spoonful of it in each triangle half and roll up the triangle around it. Bake it for 10 minutes or so (probably at 350 deg.) I had these at a party last weekend and they were to die for. There's so many things you could stuff them with, too. I'm thinking chorizo, potato and cheese......

ETA: Damn you ladies are fast. Sorry about the redundant info!
pepper
i dunno honey bunny, the first response she got was pretty standard. she said in her next post that that's what she expected so obviously she knew it wasn't a great idea to start a new thread like that. ten posts is usually enough for most people to get a bit of a feel for the board, if they aren't just quickly posting nothingness here and there for the sake of using those 10 posts up as quickly as possible. she's not a dummy, she must have figured the restriction was there for a reason.
that said, i think this newbie in particular is a write off. who sends a pm on their second day to someone who has barely said anything about her and calls her a "fucking cunt"? either someone with an axe to grind already or someone who is just simply a jerk.
i agree that this forum could be more newbie friendly but until and unless the powers that be decide to give a crap again and fix it, it's up to us. maybe we could just direct people to the newbies thread and post a link to it whenever it happens. i also really liked the post that said "this conversation has been moved to..." it just impersonally and authoritatively stated that the topic was closed and if no one else posts in a thread that says that it will fall off the board in no time. we have to all agree on it though and follow through until we get it fixed so it's automatic. that's the trick eh?

do you prefer cottage cheese sweet or savory? little likes it with pineapple and blueberries but i like it with salt and pepper. i'm not much for dairy in general but this pregnancy has me eating all kinds of weird stuff!

man, there are a dozen new posts since i started this one!~ we're awake!
pollystyrene
QUOTE(pepper @ Jan 22 2007, 10:56 AM) *

do you prefer cottage cheese sweet or savory? little likes it with pineapple and blueberries but i like it with salt and pepper. i'm not much for dairy in general but this pregnancy has me eating all kinds of weird stuff!

Both- usually with applesauce, sometimes pineapple, pears or peaches. I recently tried it with spreadable fruit (some organic stuff my mom got at Costco- it was strawberry) but sometimes I like it with tomatoes and black pepper.
sixelacat
Oh, savory all the way! Mixing fruit/sweet with cottage cheese has always seemed so strange to me, I never even saw anyone do it until I was 10, and I just thought they were weird. Have you ever tried it sprinkled with fresh chopped dill? Mmmmmm.......
bunnyb
mmm, tomatoes and black pepper; I do prefer it sweet but, maude-damn, that sounds good.

I'm conflicted on this one; I'm the one who said last week that we should have a zero-tolerance policy on abuse (for established posters as well as newbies) but I'm tired of the pouncing and the in-fighting. I don't agree with the abuse or the comment made in the Just In... thread but I can see she is making a conscious effort to fit in and atone. I'm stepping back and sitting on the fence until I get splinters or a sore arse.

eta: polly, those appetisers sound great. Is the superbowl this weekend?
pollystyrene
My theory, to quote Maya Angelou, "When people show you who they really are, believe them."

When someone's profile goes from "fuck you and the horse you rode in on" to "I don't believe in feminism and I like being subservient to my man and doing housework" to "please give me a chance, I want to be friends" that's pretty shady and seems like someone's who is looking to manipulate.
yuefie
I like cottage cheese with fruit (nmmm, pineapple) but also savory. It's great sprinkled with a little seasoning (garlic, pepper, salt, etc.), but fresh tomato & black pepper? Oh yeah! My family's favorite way is in crepes. I add chopped scallions or chives, some grated onion, garlic powder, salt & lotsa pepper to the cottage cheese, whip up some crepes and viola, everyone devours them.

I need that stilton cheesecake recipe too!

Polly, my mom used make something similar. She would spread cream cheese, scallions, grated cheddar and bacon bits inside of crescent dough and then roll them up, slice in to pinwheels and bake 'til golden.

tesao
okay, so i had grilled lobster tail for lunch. with lots of fresh lime/lemon juice squeezed on it. i had the humongo shrimp last week, so lobster sounded good.

andddddddddddddd.....i have just discovered that nutella tastes wonderful with fresh, juicy, ripe mango!!!

maya angelou, in addition to be an amazing writer, also said some VERY wise things.
girlygirlgag
tomatoes. I CANNOT WAIT UNTIL MID SUMMER!

Fresh vine, tomatoes, and cottage cheese, fresh ground pepper, sea salt and chopped dill.

We do need drooling emoticon.

Tesao, can I come live with you?

A universe where lobster tail is for lunch, is my kind of place.
auralpoison
Okay, so I'ma post the recipe over in the Barefoot thread so as not to muck things up...

BUT. I'd eat my own hand before I'd allow cottage cheese in my mouth. I have textural issues with it & I think it tastes like what dirty feet would taste like. I now want to eat a tomato with pepper & sea salt, though.
bunnyb
oh please do, AP, it sounds divine.
kickitkickitkickit
QUOTE(pollystyrene @ Jan 22 2007, 12:39 PM) *

My theory, to quote Maya Angelou, "When people show you who they really are, believe them."

When someone's profile goes from "fuck you and the horse you rode in on" to "I don't believe in feminism and I like being subservient to my man and doing housework" to "please give me a chance, I want to be friends" that's pretty shady and seems like someone's who is looking to manipulate.

laugh.gif
Can I be off topic for a day? Infact, I am off topic so why am I still being discussed?

ANYWAY, there are only a handful of things that I won't eat and that is sauerkraut, tofu, and mussels. I've tried every tofu recipe I could fine, and still was not satisfied with my results. Maybe it was my bad cooking (I'm not so hot in the kitchen) but I really can't stomach tofu.

For lunch today, I think I'm going to try a spinach pie with creamy alfredo sauce drizzled on top.
turbojenn
AP, I am totally with you on the cottage cheese aversion....stuff is NASTY.

And I'll join ggg in yearning for good tomatoes, fresh from the field!
tesao
muito thank you, AP!! i'm really curious to try it! is it sweet or savory?

mmmmmm fresh juicy ripe tomatoes with fresh ground pepper and a sprinkling of sea salt!

mmmmmm those same tomatoes paired with fresh buffalo mozzerella and fresh basil with just a splash of EVOO!!!

g-cubed: isn't that EVIL??? it was a rock lobster, so just the tail, no claws....but it was a NICE BIG tail, and it came with steamed potatoes and carrots and greens and bread and butter and was only about 14 dollars or so. now, i couldn't eat it every day, but i think that is a pretty reasonable price for a fresh caught that day lobster!

drooling smiley face!!! absolutely!!!

eta: ggg, c'mon down! you can live with me anyday! (but *i* get to wear the tiara!!!)
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.