Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: BUSTing Trolls, Part Deux
The BUST Lounge > Forums > As the World Turns
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77
spot-on
Nbx isn't a troll. She posts in the small boobie thread a lot smile.gif

Jesus is a troll, I hit ignore, idiot sent me a PM too
pollystyrene
QUOTE(spot-on @ Nov 20 2009, 11:53 PM) *
Nbx isn't a troll. She posts in the small boobie thread a lot smile.gif

Jesus is a troll, I hit ignore, idiot sent me a PM too

You know you can block PM's, right? Wasn't sure if you just hadn't done it yet.

Ahh, buckle your seatbelts, ladies. It's going to be a bumpy weekend.
auralpoison
You can also make it so he can't leave any comments on your profile/become a friend by managing your Personal Portal Information on your control panel. He used to love to post scripture on unsuspecting Busties' profiles.

And, cod the lazy ass can't even be bothered to get a new picture.
enfermera
yeah, apparently as soon as it found out no one's in the office on weekends....

is it better to report each post you come across, or does just one suffice? not that i'm planning on chasing it around, but...
auralpoison
Oh, he already knew nobody watches the Lounge on weekends. Keep in mind though that the Lounge on weekends is pretty quiet. No where near the action of the week. Nobody to bother + Steve = boredom for him.

I usually just send along a single note as soon as I come across a new validated handle.
candycane_girl
AP, how do you find the handles though? I'm guessing that the trolls all visit your profile page and that's how you know about them.

As for PMs, I still have -1 new message from the last round.
auralpoison
CC_G, do you doubt my powers? Page visits aren't it. I just know. I am the Troll Whisperer! HAH!

Right now Donnap is online. Donnap = Steve. The day he tried to get validated under that, he also tried a couple other different "normal" sounding handles & none of them went through. As far as I know, he is the only person TPTB have made any attempt to keep up out our bidness.
girltrouble
jesus, take the wheel: here's a link to block jesus jesus etc.

scroll down and click the pink button.
raisingirl
Eyeroll.
koffeewitch
If enough Busties agreed, would the office consider a compromise? Could AP/CH/GT, etc. have mod power only on the week-ends? They can't like new users of Bust to go browsing the Lounge on week-ends and seeing troll shit all over the place. But probably no go, huh??

BTW, any trolls reading this should not bother to respond, I ALWAYS block troll comments as soon as they appear and I never read them. Troll posts show as a blank on my screen.
candycane_girl
What is TPTB?

kw, they kind of tried that in the past but the way they went about it was stupid. They gave girltrouble mod abilities but made it so that everyone knew she was a mod! It would have been much better if it has been anonymous and we just thought that someone was magically cleaning up the lounge.
culturehandy
The Powers That Be.
zoya
thank fuck for the ignore function.

That is all.
girltrouble
girltrouble
treehugger
So, I made the most kick ass pot roast tonight-yummy!
enfermera
QUOTE(zoya @ Nov 21 2009, 07:24 PM) *
thank fuck for the ignore function.

That is all.

what she said
missladyj
I have a kick ass reciepe for homemade greenbean casserole in which I make the cream of mushroom soup myself. I do however still use the french's fried onions because those are the best!!!

I am actually looking forward to Thanksgiving since I spend it with friends and not family.
candycane_girl
Oooh, I do the same type of thing! Of course, the next holiday for me is Christmas as we already had Thanksgiving. I'll probably do a green bean casserole. I can't wait for the holidays because this year I get to go home early, rather than having to work right on Christmas eve and then taking a 4.5 hour train ride home.

Any chance you could PM me that recipe?
sassygrrl
QUOTE(missladyj @ Nov 22 2009, 08:02 PM) *
I have a kick ass reciepe for homemade greenbean casserole in which I make the cream of mushroom soup myself. I do however still use the french's fried onions because those are the best!!!

Alton Brown has a recipe for that which we use. I love it b/c I normally hate mushrooms but this one is the best!

I am actually looking forward to Thanksgiving since I spend it with friends and not family.

I'm excited about that too because family is always stressful.
sassygrrl
QUOTE(candycane_girl @ Nov 22 2009, 08:30 PM) *
Oooh, I do the same type of thing! Of course, the next holiday for me is Christmas as we already had Thanksgiving. I'll probably do a green bean casserole. I can't wait for the holidays because this year I get to go home early, rather than having to work right on Christmas eve and then taking a 4.5 hour train ride home.

Any chance you could PM me that recipe?

Here's the AB recipe if anyone wants it:
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-b...cipe/index.html
auralpoison
Huh. This reminds me of the whole Psychicfemme debacle. She had a rather patronizing, know-it-all attitude that ruffled a lot of feathers around here, if you recall. Summer 2006*. Whenever troll drama gets unruly & we get tired of posting about it, we automatically turn to food. I was gonna look for it, but stumbled across Maddy29 & Wombat & didn't feel the need for a headache this early.

Is it weird that I hate greenbean casserole?

*ETA: I fixed the date.

chachaheels

No.

You would probably enjoy simple flash-cooked fresh green beans dressed with sweet butter (that's been lightly flavoured with sauteed onion and minced garlic), a touch of good sea salt, and tossed with toasted almonds instead. A lot faster and no cream-of-mushroom-soup to be seen.

I thought I was the patronizing know-it-all who pissed everyone off! Oh well.
kittenb

If that's weird then I must be a total freak 'cause I hate green beans all together.
auralpoison
I pretty much like greenbeans in most forms, but there's something about how the cream of mushroom soup makes the beans look. Like something really old in the back of my fridge that could probably cure cancer.

Two of Psychicfemme's greatest hits of the BT,PD thread:

QUOTE(psychicfemme @ Jul 28 2006, 04:26 PM) *
And it's amazing how often we turn to food to bury our conflicts. smile.gif

QUOTE(psychicfemme @ Jul 29 2006, 01:41 PM) *
Heh...sharing recipes, huh. Next it will be a tupperware party! A nice demonstration of the true ilk of these so-called feminist "busties." These girls have definitely not "arrived" or if they have, they've arrived in the 1950s. It could be a successful strategy, since its aim is to cover over the evidence of their true personalities as revealed in their posts over the last few days. The main goal of this vapid small talk is to push their embarassing posts and my expose of their true natures as far back into history as possible. The fact is that this so-called "troll busting" thread has left them with some very unexpected bloody noses. Maybe you ought to consider shutting down this thread altogether, or at least rename it something more appropriate, like "the scapegoating thread (where busties get together to prove they're still in touch with their inner schoolchildren)" smile.gif
candycane_girl
Yes, because we all know that you can't be a feminist and enjoy cooking. Any woman who enjoys cooking is a 1950s housewife!

Ugh, those trolls are just ridiculous.

Also, I'm proud of myself for not taking the troll bait this time.
kittenb
AP - I feel like you are trying to summon her back her or something, like you are saying "Bloody Mary" three times into a mirror or something. I hope you have a de-psychicfemming spell ready to go if she returns. wink.gif
culturehandy
Oh gosh, she was so stupid.
pollystyrene
As long as we're talking about Thanksgiving food, would'ya like to see the list of food for my family? We do it potluck-style and it gets a little crazy- I was in charge of the evite this year and keeping track of what everyone is bringing and the amount of food is mind-boggling. This is for 20 people:

Appetizers and First Courses:
Me & LeBoy- butternut squash soup with cider cream
Cousin's husband's dad & girlfriend- salad
My grandparents- shrimp cocktail
My great aunt- relish tray
Me & LeBoy- loaf of challah
Friends of cousin- cranberry sauce and black olives

Side Dishes:
Me & LeBoy- two kinds of stuffing- yuefie's and this one.
My parents- mashed potatoes, onion kugel, brussel sprouts, tomato bread pudding and curried creamed onions (OY!)
Cousin's brother-in-law- creamed spinach
My aunt & uncle- string bean casserole
Friend of cousin- sweet potato souffle
(I asked humanist to bring her Thai-style broccoli, but I'm not sure if she will)

Main Dishes:
My grandparents- turkey
My cousin- brisket

Desserts:
Me & Leboy- Nutella-banana pie
Cousin's brother-in-law- pumpkin pie
My parents- pecan pie and lemon pie
My great aunt- apple cake

Oh, and LeBoy and I have a second Thanksgiving to go to after all of this, with his family. I'm going to asplode.
auralpoison
QUOTE(kittenb @ Nov 24 2009, 08:10 AM) *
AP - I feel like you are trying to summon her back her or something, like you are saying "Bloody Mary" three times into a mirror or something. I hope you have a de-psychicfemming spell ready to go if she returns. wink.gif

Oh, no. We so thoroughly sickened her she won't be coming back!

Neither of us feel like cooking, so we're going to get dressed up & have Turkey Day here at the Palace Arms. It's like, $100 per person, but it's worth every penny.
sassygrrl
Polly PM me that Nutella pie recipe please? We're already doing two pies but I'd like to make it another time. smile.gif Nutella is so yummy. Making a double apple Nigella Lawson pie.
pollystyrene
QUOTE(sassygrrl @ Nov 24 2009, 10:45 AM) *
Polly PM me that Nutella pie recipe please? We're already doing two pies but I'd like to make it another time. smile.gif Nutella is so yummy. Making a double apple Nigella Lawson pie.

I'll just post it here in case anyone else wants it. I'm just substituting Nutella for the peanut butter. I may eat my slice before dinner, just so I know there will be room and I'll be able to really enjoy it.
kittenb
"Life is uncertain. Eat dessert first." Garfield (?)
auralpoison
We have somebody that got approved calling themselves Weekend Moderator, but I ain't buying it. IGNORE!

Aaaaand tonight's first pathetisad alias is: JESUS JESUS.JESUS JESUS. Note that period in the center when you go to ignore. Remember, smart Busties ignore & report!

Aaaaand tonight's second pathetisad alias is: JESUS JESUS' JESUS JESUS. Note that apostrophe in the center when you go to ignore. Remember, smart Busties ignore & report!

Aaaaand tonight's third pathetisad alias is: JjEeSsUuSsJjEeSsUuSsJjEeS. Remember, smart Busties ignore & report!

Aaaaand tonight's fourth pathetisad alias is: J E S U S J E S U S JESUS. Remember, smart Busties ignore & report!

Aaaaand tonight's fifth pathetisad alias is: JESUSJESUSJEUSJESUS. Remember, smart Busties ignore & report!

Aaaaand tonight's sixth pathetisad alias is: .JESUS JESUS.JESUS.JESUS.. Note the punctuation when you ignore. Remember, smart Busties ignore & report!

NASCAR, scrapbooking, spelunking, reborning dolls, Scrabble, photography, parasailing, ice fishing, tap dancing, performance art . . . couldn't all of this energy wasted on harassing strangers be put to more constructive & fun use?

I'd be totally willing to buy you some Gun Oil & a Fleshlight, Steve.
kittenb
Son of a Cock I must be fucking tired. I can't believe I clicked on his fucking link. How the hell did he get approved to start new threads already?
culturehandy
Thank goodness when you scroll over a link with explorer it shows the link at yhe bottom of the page.

le yawn. Looks like he had to have fun because we were ignoring him.

Anyways, I have discovered I have a deep joy of raisin english muffins. Toast those fuckers and put some butter on it. yummay!!!
rogue
I was thinking the same thing, CH. I saw troll-of-the-hour posted a link and was like Hrmm, what's this? Thank you IE, for betraying the true motives of this troll.

And mmm, raisin English muffins. Delish!
jsmith
What was it posting?
auralpoison
Pictures of miscarriages that pro-lifers use as propaganda.
girltrouble
his usual fodder.
jsmith
Ah, I should've known.
auralpoison
He's now posing as a GT clone, girl.trouble.
missladyj
CCgirl, I pmmed you the recipe. Enjoy.

I swear this turns out great because nothing in this comes from a can so the greenbeans are not mushy and the cream of mushroom soup is delicious and you could eat it just as soup. It also looks a lot less grody than the normal casserole.

The nutella -bananna pie sounds awesome. It could only be better with peanut butter.

Now at some point before I start cooking I have to go back to the store to get the French's fried onions and try not to annoy my husband who is cooking the turkey and on a regular basis has to kick me out of the kitchen. I have promised him that when we get around to remodeling the kitchen that it will be all up to him what he wants to do since it is as he calls it "his kitchen".

I am thankful for marrying a man who can cook his ass off. And also likes great wine , and picks up huge magnums of my favorite champagne for tonight.

Here's wishing y'all a happy Turkey day!
jsmith
QUOTE(auralpoison @ Nov 26 2009, 05:27 AM) *
He's now posing as a GT clone, girl.trouble.

Is he in love with GT? It sure looks like he has some weird fixation on her.
chachaheels
Would someone please remind me of a good reason why we can't have moderators get people like Steve off this board once and for all? Because I've never heard a good one yet. If not blocking him is someone's idea of "free speech", may I just say that that idea of free speech is deluded, considering it allows some destructive asshole into the community that women here have built, just so that he can be destructive. That's not free speech, that's just holding the bully's jacket in the playground. Why do we give this apparently criminal troll a forum?

We don't have to. We have members who are perfectly willing to be moderators who don't mind eliminating the pest once and for all. I mean he should have been reported to several ISPs years ago, so he'd have no access to the internet to do this. At the very least, can't we just block his access to this site, outright?

Sure, he's an idiot spouting some right wing nonsense--but I'm not sure if you notice, the more space you give people like this, the more power they get. And right now, the right to choose to have an abortion is already in trouble in the US--and I'm starting to see some pretty disturbing fuckhead commercials here in Canada, all calculated to put abortion on the criminal code. Okay, the logic in the commercials is moronic and anyone with any knowledge about the body and gestation and pregnancy in any limited sense knows that--but we're talking about fundamentalist bullies here, not intelligent thinkers. If these people want access to the media, we shouldn't let them have free access here, at the very least.

jsmith
OH, I'm just so thrilled.
NOT.
koffeewitch
QUOTE(chachaheels @ Nov 26 2009, 10:30 PM) *
We don't have to. We have members who are perfectly willing to be moderators who don't mind eliminating the pest once and for all. At the very least, can't we just block his access to this site, outright?

I've wondered the same thing...let's block him at the source. THere are thousands of forums for people to debate religion and abortion; this is not the place...at least not in the sense that he's doing it. This is supposed to be a safe space for women; I don't know why he cannot respect that. We do not attack Christian fundies or prolifers on their forums.
candycane_girl
I've always wondered why they couldn't just block anyone trying to register from his IP address.

chacha, just out of curiosity, do you have any links to the commercials you are referring to?
chachaheels
I don't have any links, but one of the few channels I get on my TV is CHCH based in Hamilton, Ontario. They used to be owned by the whole Aspler media people, very right wing, anti-abortion, pro Steven Harper, National Post newspaper, etc., etc.

When the Aspler group filed for bankruptcy they tried to sell CHCH, but I don't think anyone wanted to buy--so now they don't have any programming, they just show films every evening. They carry a series of ads detailing how, if we're of a generation born when "abortion was legalized" in Canada (duh, it was NEVER illegal--it has never been in the criminal code here, first clue that we're not dealing with the intellectually resourceful)--that basically many of the people who "would have been" born never made it on the planet.

It's hilarious because it shows a bunch of children in playgrounds and then it fades a number of them out.

Not a very well thought out approach, for a couple of excellent reasons, one being that if that's how things work, then God is the biggest abortionist there could ever be, since millions of times more zygotes are "miscarried" or "aborted" through ordinary natural processes than ever make it to full term live birth. Just a fact of nature, and the reason why a full term, live birth is really such a "miracle"--if you think in terms of statistics, they're actually incredibly rare, and not just in the human species. Hell, we even know that in some species, the barely formed inhabitants of the womb are actually in a competition--they can try and kill each other! Okay, we're talking about sharks, but it happens in countless other animals too.

Also: global warming, population overgrowth and resource depletion, anyone?

Striking, as I've never seen a television station actually carry an anti-abortion ad--most media know better than to show an outright bias or to take money from a fanatical organization trying to limit human rights. But maybe that's why CHCH is in such financial hell--they're desperate.

If you're in the southern Ontario area, you can see the ads on that TV station every evening.

About blocking people on the board: they can block anyone.

I remember years ago we had a discussion on this board with a bunch of members who were extremely savvy about IT and code, and getting rid of Steve (we figured we had excellent ground). I was on an alternative medicine bulletin board community based in India at the time, and it was set up with an "ignore" feature so you could ignore any participant--it was a "troll" control method, one of many we had. During the conversation I asked why we couldn't have a feature like that here, and one of the code experts replied that the program being used at the time wouldn't allow that to happen, because basically it had to create a different screen image for every one using the board (but it has to anyway, I argued--not every bustie looks at exactly the same post as anyone else at any given time, anyway). He said they'd have to find a new program which included that feature--easy enough to do, as the bb program they were using then was so outdated and kept crashing anyway. He also said that they chose not to. He was right: not doing anything about limiting troll behaviour here is a deliberate choice.

Nothing's changed except for the fact that this new bb program allows us to ignore posters we don't want to deal with. Great--but on its own it's not as effective as a few well placed moderators. We're still allowing people who want to silence what goes on here come into the community and do as they please.

That bulletin board in India--was actually attacked a few times by paid trolls--if you can believe it, lots of major pharmaceutical companies use lobbying groups and "activist" groups to go anywhere that information is disseminated about something they feel limits their ability to be profitable. They'll pay to create groups with tons of media access--they buy air time, print media, journalists, you name it. This particularly well funded, large group of trolls did try to shut that site down and the moderators there managed to keep their influence down to a minimum using the "ignore" feature, limiting the posting space, and removing any inflammatory posts. Behind the scenes, though, they used ARIN or any of the other international IP identification search engines to find out where the trolls were posting from--they blocked those addresses, and then they notified the individual companies, universities, libraries, etc, from which the posts were sent, and notified the ISP companies selling their internet access to individual subscribers. Trolls taking money from the lobby group who were found to be posting from machines where they worked were permanently shut down (the ISP search engines are really detailed, they can tell you who buys the service, and which of the buyer's machines was used--so you just follow that to find your troll at work posting shit while getting paid to do a real job. Presto! Troll fired!)

That ended the paid troll invasion beautifully.

Today that BB site has grown to be the world's largest portal of information on homeopathic medicine, with one of the most widely read journals published online. I'd hate to think what would have happened it if they'd just sat back and let a bunch of self interested (or in this case, seriously sad), fully funded trolls tear it apart for monetary gain.

Pisses me off a lot that this BB is still letting one little troll post here whenever he wants--and just his little effort alone takes over the board, we have to waste so much time and space on him, which is just what he wants. And I guess, just what the people who set up this bb want, too.
candycane_girl
chacha, I get CHCH and I've watched it once in a while for the movies. I was very confused because until recently, the channel that occupied it seemed to be a mix of CHCH news and E! entertainment channel. I haven't watched the channel in a while so I haven't seen any of those ads. However, I do remember seeing some lame billboard ad last year about the thousands of children who "won't be able to celebrate Christmas because they were never born". Oh noes! dry.gif

It's true what you say about birth being a miracle in a way. I don't understand why people seem so shocked when a woman miscarries. I mean, I can understand being upset about it but there's a reason that most people don't mention being pregnant until after three months (mainly that the fetus could easily miscarry up until then). Miscarriage is extremely common. I also thought it was interesting that you mentioned competition in the womb. I was actually supposed to have a fraternal twin but it ended up "spontaneously aborting" (that's the term the doctors used) when my mom was 6 weeks along. She was very happy that I turned out okay because she was told that if one fetus aborted than the other was at high risk for the same thing.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.