Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: BUSTing Trolls, Part Deux
The BUST Lounge > Forums > As the World Turns
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77
battygurl
Wow, I'm feeling pretty lucky to be in Vancouver right now. We don't have a Walmart in Vancouver proper, but there are some out in the suburbs. I'm like your m-i-l, pixie: I'd do anything to avoid Walmart. In addition to everything wrong with them as a company, I just find them really depressing. I feel the same way in malls, and safeways.

I mostly shop at Choices. I'm not sure what the u.s. equivalent would be, but it's the place that sells mostly organic stuff. It's kind of pretentious: all the hypocritical yuppies shop there, and they jack the prices up just because they can. I like the products they carry but not the attitude behind it. But it's the closest store and we walk or bike to get our groceries so it that pretty much determines where we go. We also get fresh produce delivered once a week by a local company.
doodlebug
I found the dark chocolate Nutella at Extra Foods, which is a "big box" branch of the even bigger box, Superstore...both of which are Canadian, I think. I haven't shopped there for a few years though (it's strictly Safeway for me now - it's unionized), so if people can't find it now, it makes me wonder if they were just test-marketing it or something...?

I got thrown off the Wal-Mart parking lot once for leafleting cars with info about sweatshops on International Women's Day....and that's about the extent of my Wal-Mart experience! (They even sent out a half a dozen staff to take the leaflets off the cars...)
battygurl
When I used to work at superstore in Calgary, we were unionized and we had signs in our staffrooms about how walmart was evil because they weren't unionized.
pollystyrene
battygurl, that sounds like Whole Foods- I basically only go there when I need one of their body products (which they do have a good selection of)...it's sort of sickening. "Let's load up the SUV, crank up the a/c with the windows down and go to Whole Foods, because, dammit, we care about the environment." Um, yeah.
punkerplus
Oooh, that reminds me polly. This woman came into my work today wearing an amazing anti-SUV's t-shirt and I need to hunt it down I tell you. I did ask and she said she got it at an environmental fair but I bet I can find it.

And I've never had a proper ploughmans with apple. I've only ever had the watered down cheese, pickle, lettuce, tomato, onion, mayo version and now I feel unbritish =( *plans to go ploughman hunting tomorrow*

ETA: I am going to make the best sandwich ever! I just looked on wikipedia for some kind of definitive ploughmans and it says that common additions are boiled egg and beetroot. I love boiled egg and beetroot. So boiled egg, beetroot, cheese and pickle sandwich - here I come.

As a side note I got distracted by their "British Cuisine" category - Here - and I was wondering if you lot across the pond have HP Sauce? Because I'd probably die without it.
pixiedust
EEk..That sounds perfectly hideous! But then I haven't been feeling well today. Pickle, egg, cheese, and beetroot together*shudders*

So I got my Krispy Kreme doughnuts last night. It was so nice and heavenly! I've been dieting for so long, I had been avoiding them. But there is nothing like getting one straight off the conveyor belt and have it all hot and melty in your mouth!
punkerplus
What can I say? I have bizarre tastes (and I am still loving up my sandwich despite the critics tongue.gif )

What are Krispy Kreme doughnuts like? The word "Krispy" really icks me out for some reason.
mornington
ooh, I know where you can get krispy kremes in london... paddington station, harrods, the tesco on traf square... bunny knows places too.

*shudder* beetroot. The best ploughmans are home-made.
punkerplus
You wanna take this outside "mornington", if that is your real name?

Nobody disses the beet.
pixiedust
Punker..."krispy" is really a misnomer. The best way to eat them is..when you get inside the store..you can see them being made...and you wantch them going down the conveyor belt...at the end someone gives you one right off the line and it is warm and gooey, really fluffy and sort of melts in your mouth. The icing gets rather krispy though on the ones that aren't right off the line.

My culinary rememberance from across the pond when Roseviolet and I went are: At victoria station, got Ben and Jerry's coffee, coffee, coffee ice cream. All of teh stations had those great bagette sandwiches...mouth watering now just thinking of it. At Gatwick Manor where we stayed they made some awesome thyme dumplings. And somewhere in East Sussex I ate the best Chinese food ever!
mornington
oi, you, punk. what's your beef? or beet, indeed. tongue.gif

I'm not a donught fan (it's the jam) but krispy kremes just...mmm. hehe pixie, are you thinking of "upper crust"? I loves me some of that.
pixiedust
Yea, I think that was the name of them! And I would wash them down with Orangina...which I've only been able to find in the States at a few Whole Foods type of stores.
auralpoison
The only way I can stomach beets is in borscht.

Krispy Kreme! I haven't had one of those in two years. I hate doughnuts. Always have. But a Krispy Kreme? HEAVEN. A KK tip: put 'em in a sealable container. Then you can wrap 'em in a paper towel & nuke for 10 secs & it's almost like fresh.
raisingirl
QUOTE(punkerplus @ Jul 31 2006, 01:27 PM) *

and I was wondering if you lot across the pond have HP Sauce? Because I'd probably die without it.

Yup, up here in NEW England (heh) at a couple of the big, easy-to-find supermarkets we have "international" aisles and in the UK section I've seen HP Sauce, Aero bars, and a whole lot of other stuff, actually. It's where I buy my PG Tips, in fact!
lucizoe
punkerplus, I shall join you on the beet love. And cooking with them is such a colorful experience - I had my hair dyed based on beet juice, actually... smile.gif

I make a killer borscht - all my Eastern European hardy peasant ancestry rises to the surface and I enter Polish nirvana in creation of this stew. Mr.Luci, however, cannot stand either vinegar or beets, so I get it all!! Mwah ha ha ha ha!
punkerplus
I wanna eat borscht! I want beet dyed hair! The closest I ever got was a nasty experience involving toilets which should really go in grody gross out.

And raisingirl, its good to know I can now move to America without fear in my heart (not that I was planning to anyway, but just in case).
girlygirlgag
I had beet tar tar in France, and it was a little slice of Heaven!
sixelacat
I'll share in the beet love! I absolutely hated them growing up, but I tried them again in my twenties and really like them now (maybe that makes up for liking olives before 25, eh, bunnyb?). And your sandwich sounds quite lovely, I may try it after I get off this ploughmans kick....

*takes another bite of cheese and pickle*

Doughnuts, ugh. Way, way too sweet, and I've been forever spoiled for them when I worked next door to a doughnut shop, with a garbage dumpster and waste oil receptacle between us. The smell of fresh doughnuts will always be mixed with rancid oil and garbage in my mind, especially in August. sad.gif
pixiedust
I've never had beets...they look pretty nasty cooked. I might be able to stand pickled beets since Ilike most pickled things, but I haven't been exposed to them much in my family.

It's funny, my in laws are from New York...and we were discussing a restraunt the other day that has "homecooked meals" and my MIL was turning up her nose about the deep south cooking...I was like, man, I grew up on that stuff! What is life without Chicken Fried Steak and mash potatoes!
yuefie
Beets, meh. I used to loathe them as a child, especially when they had been candied (read: cooked with a crapload of sugar, feh!) and I was forced to eat them by my wicked step dad. I used to freak out if they even touched my plate, and heaven forbid they soiled my salad with their juice. Not so much anymore. I mean, I don't go out of my way to eat them but I did give a freshly roasted beet a try and it wasn't the sickeningly sweet dirt root I remembered. So I'm not a fan but I don't hate them. And I do love the shade that they dye everything in their path wink.gif
pixiedust
Yuck..I have had candied beets before too...And I am right with you on the juice staining anything else on my plate! Most foods I don't care if they touch a little...Buit anythign with Juice needs to stay in its designated spot!
mornington
hehe, sixe is addicted to cheese and pickle. biggrin.gif

mmm, pixie, orangina... years and years ago, you could only get it in france (or at least we could). Whenever we went to france that would be all I'd drink.

you are never going to convert me to the beet-love. I have too many memories of the Boy Wonder coming in in a panic 'cos he'd been eating beetroot and it had turned his pee purple. That should have gone in the gross thread, shouldn't it.
pixiedust
OMG! I almost fell out of my chair when I read the purple pee comment!

Something else I loved from the Uk...Lemon beer! We have it here, but it's not the same.
bunnyb
Yes, I know all the stockists of krispy kremes in London; my aunt tells me there's a drive-through too.

I HATE eggs, in all forms (although I like french toast and can have eggs in cake mix but not boiled, scrambled, poached etc).

I also dislike HP and beetroot and ploughmans (plain ol' cheddar and branston).

I love ... HAGGIS! (now let the debate ensue).
mornington
ooh, haggis. I like it. I just don't want to be reminded what's in it...

I'll join you hatin' on the beetroot, but nevaaaaah the branston.

ok... the worst thing I have ever ever eaten: a toss-up between my step-monster's chorba (or as BW christened it, romainian chicken-neck stew) and this wierd dish in libya which I think is arabic haggis, except it tastes of kidney. And "head-meat" (I can't remember the name)... yes, the head of a sheep. *shudder*.
pixiedust
I was too chicken to try haggis when we were in Scotland. If we ever go back, I'll probably try it just so I can say I did. We sat out in the at Edinborough(sp?) castle to watch the Tattoo the first night we were there, and I was pretty sick and miserable the other 2 days we were there.
bunnyb
Edinburgh. It's a weird one.

I try not to think of what black pudding is but the boy always hisses across table "scab"!

I nevah nevah said that I hated the branston!!! I dislike all the other stuff on ploughman's, it spoils the taste. I must pick me up one of those branston snack boxes as the cheddar is cathedral city which is gorgeous cheddar.

New food crushes: marks and spencer's baklava and their banoffe chocolate flapjacks.
mornington
m&s chocolate bites in the bucket...mmm... and thier pesto. cos i am lazy.

(sorry, I reread that, and it does indeed say you dislike ploughmans and not branston. wacko.gif )
pepper
Love the beet. LOVE it. dirt root indeed. earthy magenta goodness, cooked, pickled, raw, steamed beet greens, YuM!

is it because canada is a brit colony that we have the hp? i've never been in a restaurant that didn't have it, and nearly every home kitchen as well. except for mine, ha! but i don't cook steak so... what else is it good for? eggs? a bit strong for that i imagine.

the bakery in town has baklava ice cream!! i almost had it for breakfast but thought i'd better not.
bunnyb
Mmmm, baklava ice-cream! *swoons* now that's a thought I can go to bed on.
doodlebug
Ha ha! My brother used to put HP on everything - french fries, eggs - because he said it made everything taste like steak! It was a trick he learned when he was on the road with his band (he's a drummer), and they couldn't afford decent food...

There is no HP in my house at the moment, but there is always Lea and Perrins. That orange and black label better be in the cupboard at all times....

strange animal parts as food = doodlebug throwing up a little in her mouth
sixelacat
Oh, no, not strange, just....uncommon. I am the queen of trying anything once, even black pudding (which will never, never happen again blink.gif . But I did try it). And I have to know what's in it, preferably before I eat it. I did think haggis was okay, not a lot around here. I can take or leave just about any kind of sausage, doesn't thrill me either way. OH, except homemade deer sausage, that ROCKS! And, as always, gotta have love for fried bull testicles. With hot sauce.

So is HP sauce like Lea and Perrins, then? Because I use that quite a bit....

Pickled beets=just no. Some foods just shouldn't be pickled. Or sweetened! You get sugar from beets, who on earth needs to add more?!
doodlebug
No! Lea and Perrins isn't like HP! And U.S. Lea and Perrins isn't like the stuff we get in Canada or Britain. (Apparently yours is made with a completely different vinegar.) HP (which stands for House of Parliament, btw) = thick, sweet yet tangy, inexplicable. Best on beef, although I don't really understand folks who ruin pricey steaks with it, myself. A good cut of steak should be cooked medium-rare at the most, and shouldn't need extra adornment. (I loves me steak...I paid $50 for a grill pan just so I could cook steak with the grill marks.)

I was raised with a pretty limited pallette. (Fussy brother/father + mom who hated cooking.) I've branched out considerably well, but I'm still a bit nervous about new things, and sometimes just the idea of eating certain things makes me gag. I'm trying, I'm trying! But I'm still kind of a pussy....
sixelacat
Hmmm, punkerplus had a link waaay down the page about HP sauce, and a "related" link on the link was A1 sauce, which sounds a little like what you're describing. Is it close?

Although I totally agree, a great cut of meat should never be fussed with, a bit of salt/pepper at most! And cooked rare. I worked under a chef who would just fly off the handle anytime an order came in for "well-done", and threaten to grill up his shoe as he swore they'd never know the difference!
pollystyrene
Sorry to join the conversation late, but, mmmmm, beet borscht. A childhood favorite. Served ice cold, with some sour cream and chopped pickles (not pickled pickles, just the smaller version of cucumbers that they use to make pickles.) I haven't ventured into making it from scratch, so I just get the jarred Manischewitz stuff. I added some chopped green onion and mint flakes last time I had it. So good.

Pixie, how could someone turn up their nose at southern food? My god, I'm reading Fried Green Tomatoes at the Whistle Stop Cafe right now, and all the southern food mentioned in that book is KILLING ME!! The fried green tomatoes, the fried chicken, the biscuits. Fortunately, they have recipes in the back. Some people just don't know what's good for them...oh well, more for you.

Pepper, Ben & Jerry's had a limited edition in-store-only baklava ice cream a few months ago. It was heavenly. At first, you'd get a strong honey taste, then you'd notice the nutty taste, then you'd get the dough-y taste which was accented with flakes of phyllo dough. Oh, how I wish it wasn't a limited flavor!!
doodlebug
I don't think I've ever had A1 sauce, so I can't compare....HP is the Canadian way. I don't think I've ever been to a restaurant in Canada that didn't have HP sauce. Although depending on the place, you might have to ask for it. Lots of restaurants automatically put HP on the table alongside the catsup, even for breakfast orders!

Ordering a steak "well done" is just a complete and total waste of good beef, IMHO. What's the point? I totally empathize with that chef. Order the effing chicken, if you can't handle a pink steak!!

I'm working my way up to ordering a "blue rare" steak. I'm a little nervous, but I've heard wonderful things....

ETA: the mere thought of baklava ice cream is making me drool....
pepper
i had carpaccio as part of a birthday dinner once and i tried tuna tartar at "C" restaurant in vancouver about three years ago. they were both fairly lovely from what i remember.
and i do think A1 is another version of HP.
at the popular breakfast joint here they serve that bright red asian hot sauce with the ketchup and a bottle of ebese zoso hot sauce made by a local guy from the islands (habenero anyone?). way, Way too stinking hot for me but it must be good 'cause everyone is crazy about it and he keeps winning awards down in texas for best hot sauce.

i swear i worked with that chef. flipping crazy maniac.

i LOVE pickled beets.
battygurl
QUOTE(pollystyrene @ Jul 31 2006, 05:47 AM) *

battygurl, that sounds like Whole Foods- I basically only go there when I need one of their body products (which they do have a good selection of)...it's sort of sickening. "Let's load up the SUV, crank up the a/c with the windows down and go to Whole Foods, because, dammit, we care about the environment." Um, yeah.

Yeah, that's it exactly. I'd rather shop there than at safeway, but I wish we lived near the local food co-op or something. Oh well, during the school year the uni has a food co-op that's fairly cheap, though small.

I love beets! Right now I have some in my fridge, I forgot what they're called, but they're the kind with rings. I think we'll make them tomorrow. I also like steamed beet greens, but only if I add orange juice to cut the bitter taste.
punkerplus
HP Sauce I put on anything but especially a full english breakfast, or any associated breakfast foods. And I usually have it instead of ketchup with chips. I don't know what A1 sauce is. I'll have a look later.

I have never tried haggis and that saddens me a little. I do love black pudding though. Mmmm.

Whats a "blue rare" steak doodle?

*giggle-snort* "head-meat". That sounds disgusting beyond words. Even more disgusting that my purple pee and purple number twos! I thought I was dying.
mornington
mm, HP on bacon sandwiches. or chip butties. It's a breakfast staple. There's fruit in it. I'm not big into ketchup, so HP gets used more often.

One of the (dis)advantages of getting hauled all over the world as a child is that you get exposed to all sorts of foods, some of them lovely (proper indian curry) and some of them not-so-lovely. You also get to eat zoo animals (camel, shark, ostritch... kangaroo, apparently). I love ostritch burgers.
bunnyb
"Blue rare" is when it's served more or less raw - I think it's cooked for 10 seconds on each side? Supposedly v v nice but I haven't worked up the courage. I like my steak medium or medium-rare depending who's cooking (if it's a good chef I'll go for the latter), I like to see the pink. I like steak au poivre especially if sirloin steak although fillet steak is divine on it's own.

I had steak at the weekend so lucily this isn't making me crave a big, fat, juicy steak. Now "head meat", on the other hand ... wink.gif
roseviolet
My BestGalPal eats her steak blue. She looooooooves red meat. I haven't tried it because I imagine it might be cold. Does anyone know if that's true? Cold steak doesn't sound tasty.

And my darling Sheff enjoys an ol' fry-up with HP sauce on occasion. Eggs, bacon, baked beans, & HP sauce. The very idea makes my stomach feel a bit flippy. I'll take the southern style buttermilk biscuits instead, please!

girlygirlgag
QUOTE(sixelacat @ Aug 1 2006, 02:49 AM) *

Although I totally agree, a great cut of meat should never be fussed with, a bit of salt/pepper at most! And cooked rare. I worked under a chef who would just fly off the handle anytime an order came in for "well-done", and threaten to grill up his shoe as he swore they'd never know the difference!

I WORKED FOR A CHEF THE SAME WAY! He would crack me up! I had a guy order Lamb Cops well done! OH THEE HUMANITY!

The chef refused, and I had to tell the guy. He was PISSED!

Lea and Perrins and A1 are worschetshire sauce derivitives. HP sounds more like Heinz 57 to me.
bunnyb
Lea & Perrins (orange label) here is worcester sauce (or mixed with something else - I'll need to check ingredients) and is essential to making a good marie rose dressing to taste (on that note, I prefer Heinz salad cream in my sauce to mayonaise, it's tangier and with the l&p gives more of a kick).

I so want ben&jerry's baklava ice cream now!
mornington
I have just found a recipe to make brown sauce... HP by any other name. tongue.gif I thought I'd share the news.

L&P is worcestershire sauce, i think - it's a brand like HP and Daddies are both brown sauce. Or at least that's what I thought. I have no idea, the damned stuff being banned from my cupboards.

I like my steak cooked... I can deal with pink, but not oozing bloody, thank you. I do enough dissection at uni.
msp
Timely conversation - I just tried steak tartare for the first time a few weeks ago. It was good! I'd always wanted to try it, but you know... that's not one of those things you can order just anywhere. But MrP and I went to Les Halles in NYC, which is known for its red meat. It was the kind of place where you order steak tartare with no worries. Wowie wow wow wow, it was good. MrP was so concerned about my eating that much raw meat for my first meal of the day, but afterwards I keep punching the air and going, "I'm FINE! I'm BETTER THAN FINE! I've got PROTEIN POWER! I can go all day! Pow powpow pow!" (That may have been all the coffee I drank, too.)

I would definitely have it again.
sybarite
I love all kinds of carpaccio: beef, game or tuna, it's all good. Yum. I had steak tartare once and quite liked it, although the idea of it still makes me a little squeamish if I think about it too much. I like all the stuff you get to put on top as well.

I also like haggis and love a good black pudding. It was quite trendy in restaurants here for awhile; poeple would serve it as a starter. I sound quite bloodthirsty!

And I love HP sauce. Put it on everything in a cooked breakfast: bacon, sausages, pudding and potatoes. Mmmm.

Baklava ice cream sounds so good.
bunnyb
Haggis with black pudding as starter or haggis in chicken are very popular here, funny that wink.gif

eta: oh and how could I forget potato scone? A bacon roll with tattie sone and tomato - mmmm...
sybarite
I love potato scones too. The mister is from Northern Ireland and claims they invented five different kinds of fried bread... and claims the potato scone as one of them.
pepper
gah, the vegetarian in me is turning over a bit (no, Not the one i Ate, ha ha).

British Style Steak Sauce Recipe
This is a very decent substitute for HP Sauce or London Pub Sauce if you can't find them in stores. Makes a first-class barbecue sauce, also.
4 ounces orange juice (freshly squeezed if possible)
4 ounces raisins
3 ounces dried dates, roughly chopped
2 ounces Worcestershire sauce
2 ounces malt vinegar
2 tablespoons spicy brown mustard
3 ounces tomato puree
2 tablespoons ketchup
2 tablespoons chili sauce
1 tablespoon corn syrup
2 teaspoons dry sherry
1/8 teaspoon ground allspice
2 teaspoons browning sauce (such as Kitchen Bouquet)

1. Whisk together all ingredients, except browning sauce, until thoroughly mixed.
2. In a saucepan, bring the mixture to a boil and cook for 8 to 10 minutes, stirring constantly.
3. Remove from heat, stir in browning sauce, and cool to lukewarm.
4. Purée the sauce in a food processor fitted with sharp metal blade.
5. Pour into a bottle, cap tightly, and refrigerate.
6. Sauce will last very well (about 3 months) in the fridge.

24-32 servings 2 cups
40 minutes 10 mins prep

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.