Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Whatever IT is!...the ebay thread
The BUST Lounge > Forums > Absolutely Fad-ulous
Pages: 1, 2, 3
cloverbee
Okay, I have a bunch of stuff listed if anyone is interested. I have shoes by Born and Clarks. I have a great Kenneth Cole shirt and a bunch of other clothes and boots and stuff. Check it out!!!!!!!! My ebay name is nrhoadarmer.
humanist77
Holy Crap! Have you ever seen a zentai?
I can't decide if I am disturbed or intrigued. I kinda like the mermaid zentai. There are all different colors and styles-check out the rest of the store!
kittenbonanza
How do you breathe in that thing?
maimy
Kitten, I'm guessing it's pretty hot, but porous enough to permit enough oxygen for a while. I own some dresses out of lycra that shiny, and it's not as impermeable as, say, stretch PVC would be.

I wouldn't want to wear something like that for more than 20 minutes though. 'Course respiratory disease is what kills in my family, and I get short of breath just contemplating the slightest obstruction to my nose. Yoiks.
kittenbonanza
I figured that, but I imagine it would be incredibly claustrophobic.
dusty
Ummm, what do you DO with them?
maimy
Hee. Pose for fetish magazines.
seraphine
Mmmm. Kinky.
punkerplus
I just want to have a little rant. Why do ebay sellers think they can lie?

The other day my friend was wearing a gorgeous dress so of course I asked her where it was from. It was from primark ( a very cheap clothes store, which produces fashionable clothes at a quarter of the price of most stores). She had bought it the week before.

That evening I went on ebay and lo and behold that dress was there being advertised as a vintage dress from the 50's. Not vintage style, or retro. But actual vintage.

Is this allowed? If not, where would you report the person to?
voodoo_princess
QUOTE(punkerplus @ Jul 14 2006, 09:02 AM) *

The other day my friend was wearing a gorgeous dress so of course I asked her where it was from. It was from primark ( a very cheap clothes store, which produces fashionable clothes at a quarter of the price of most stores). She had bought it the week before.

That evening I went on ebay and lo and behold that dress was there being advertised as a vintage dress from the 50's. Not vintage style, or retro. But actual vintage.

I know just what you mean..... I usually have great results with buys from e-bay BUT, I have been waiting for what was described as a rare, jade and sterling silver thumb ring. The picture made it look absolutely beautiful and I was soooo excited to add it to my jade jewelry collection. WELL! It has arrived and I am now the proud owner of a HUGE, jade-ish and metal? NAPKIN RING HOLDER. This thing DOES fit around my thumb BUT it is sooooo thick that I couldn't wear it and close my hand at the same time and it looks just the size of a napkin holder ring and everyone who's seen it says so too! Also, the "silver" work on the outside of the "ring" was apparently soldered on to the metal liner, after the fact, so it makes me think they just got this napkin ring holder and slapped a pretty decoration on it. Not at all jewelry quality. I was so sad, and I left the comment on feedback that it was a napkin ring holder, not a jewelry ring. Unfortunately it is only 1 of 2 that I bought and the 2nd hasn't arrived yet so I am pretty sure I'm gonna end up with a SET of napkin ring holders! I don't know if there is anyone to complain to since it's pretty much BUYER BEWARE on e-bay, right? I could be wrong tho...... oh well, guess I'll go buy some pretty napkins.... ha ha ha
punkerplus
Could you say they falsely advertised and ask for a refund? They might not give it but you could try...
pixiedust
Punker..there are ways to report it, but I don't know the steps. If you go on the discussions boards to Trust and safety and ask there, they can give you all the links to report. However given that it is not a major fraud, I doubt ebay will act very quickly. Did you buy it or are you just trying to save someone from buying a vintage dress that isn't really vintage? Frankly if it's the dress you want, I'd bid even if it was advertized as vintage.
punkerplus
Oh I haven't/am not going to buy the dress. I just don't like it when people lie. Its just a worry that someone might buy it and be fooled, when they could buy it for less on their high street, brand new. Thats all.
humanist77
Wow..I just had to post this...
does this seller think someone would actually pay $325 to look like the the abominable snowmonster?
or $199 to look like cookie monster?

wow. good luck! wink.gif...I'm almost tempted to send them a message! But I won't...that's mean..
pollystyrene
Wow, that really is the same color as Cookie Monster!
pollystyrene
Damn double post!
vixen_within
Are there any folks in the lounge who have listings on Ebay? I'd love to browse your listings. (Ebay junkie). I'm going to start selling too, in fact I put my first listing up tonight just to see how it all works and if I like doing it.

To date I've bought many fine dresses, pretty slips, a typewriter, books, a digital camera, jewelry, facial washes, music scores, unusual fabrics, lord have mercy.
vixen_within
Excuse me posting to myself here today, but I think this dress is a peach (I love the texture), but the measurements are out of my league 36" bust, 30" waist, 38.5" hip pretty dress

Also, I've seen dresses on ebay for hundred$, but $2799? For a frock? And it's ugly! No.
vixen_within
Okay finally feeling brave enough. I put up a handful of books and magazines and media that I could bear to part with, a few days ago. This is my first auction it's actually kind of fun. I'm not ready to do clothes yet. I hope I'm doing everything right.

Behold, some stuff, ~La stuff~

If anyone has more experience in ebaying and has some tips in selling they'll be gracefully appreciated, when it comes to paypal issues and shipping and so on..

I linked up to auctiva who provide the scrolling display thing It displays when you scroll down

They also provide templates, but I'm not sure about integrating them into the page. Is there a better site for that sort of thing? Bueller?
vixen_within
The shipping price to Canada puts this out of the league of what I would spend, but someone here might want this; the 1998 Sex issue. It is really hard to find.

Bust Magazine Sex Issue 1998

lananans
Last summer I had a terrible Ebay addiction, and ended up hitting 'buy it now' on a pair of Birkenstock sandals that were a women's SIZE 12 instead of a 10 which i thought they were. totally my fault. since then i'm a little more careful. i just browse a lot. it's very addictive.
starship
QUOTE(punkerplus @ Jul 14 2006, 10:02 AM) *

i hate people who just sell heaps of primark stuff for like triple the price. Especially if they dont say its from primark. And whoo are these people stupid enough to pay £20 for a £5 dress that is still in the shops

Also hate the guy who bidded £60 for my concert tickets then emailed me saying he 'didnt feel like going' ONE DAY BEFORE.

I have some stuff on ebay but it really is old rubbish. A family friend with not much style gave me some old clothes to 'see if i wanted anything'. I didnt.
Ill post again if i put anything worthwhile up x

vixen_within
QUOTE(starship @ Jul 1 2008, 08:58 PM) *
i hate people who just sell heaps of primark stuff for like triple the price. Especially if they dont say its from primark. And whoo are these people stupid enough to pay £20 for a £5 dress that is still in the shops

Also hate the guy who bidded £60 for my concert tickets then emailed me saying he 'didnt feel like going' ONE DAY BEFORE.

I have some stuff on ebay but it really is old rubbish. A family friend with not much style gave me some old clothes to 'see if i wanted anything'. I didnt.
Ill post again if i put anything worthwhile up x

I'm curious about your items. You should post them -- one lady's junk is another lady's treasure and all that...
I have a lot to sell as well, just waiting until I have a bit more free time. Later this month perhaps.

QUOTE(lananans @ Jul 1 2008, 06:03 PM) *
Last summer I had a terrible Ebay addiction....

Your story is my story wink.gif
lananans
I feel like I have a lot of stuff I could unload as well... I'm just not organized enough to post it all and figure out what to keep and what to get rid of. It just seems like a lot of effort at this point in time. Maybe later in the summer.
vixen_within
I'm planning to post dresses (mostly small sizes) and vintage hats and smaller items (costume jewelry, movies, books), when I get back from Chicago next week.
vixen_within
I just saw 5 Bust 1990's Back issues go for, like, $50 & $60 apiece, yo.

I really wanted this one--which was Issue 5, My Life as a Girl. I guess not enough though sad.gif
missladyj
I am gearing up to sell some stuff on ebay. MOst of it is vintage. I will let y'all know when it's up. If you want a gold mock turtle neck mini dress witha matching jacket, you'll love what I put up. Shoes( Steven, sam and libby and possibly the greatest pair of red cowboy boots evah!)
vixen_within
I've been putting items up for the past few days and will be putting up a lot more over the course of the week.

**My Current Auctions**

missladyj, you tease, what sizes are your stuff in?
missladyj
vixen. the clothes will be a size 8 or 10 and the shoes 7 1/2. At some point I will get my shit together and get it up. right now I have to t ake pics and shit. I am still on vacation so very very lazy.
vixen_within
I've been putting things up one, two and three at a time in the evenings after work this week, which takes the pressure off (it helps when it comes time to start shipping too - they won't end on the same night so I won't end up having to ship everything at the same time)

Also leaving my photo area set up helps with the inertia, since having to set the space up time and again can take the sap out of me before I even begin.
vixen_within
I've put up a pair of red mary jane heels
I bought these for myself on ebay. I paid $50 for them, probably twice as much as they should have cost, but I didn't care I HAD TO have them. Then, the next week my best girl gave me a pair for my birthday.
They're super cute and brand new and size 8.5
These are they

On a similar tip, these are also up - these boots have never been worn, but they have seen the dark side of storage so they do show that kind of storage wear.

the boots are a 9

I'd planned to put up some corsets in small sizes tonight, but my battery died. Might try again tomorrow.

In the meantime I'll say HERE what I can't say on Ebay, which is that if you decide to bid and win something, I will accept _well-concealed_ cash if paypal just doesn't work for you. If you happen to be local to me you can pick anything you win up instead of having it shipped.
vixen_within
Okay someone else needs to post in this thread because I'm getting embarrassed.

If you're interested in what sex workers are saying to each other and to the world at large, I've put up some of my issues of $pread Magazine from my collection.
thepointybird
Hey vixen, those red shoes were gorgeous, how did they do?

I sell a load, often stuff I've picked up at jumbles and whotnot here in the UK. It's a hassle doing the pics and the listings and stuff, but it supplements my income a fair bit. I find it helps if clothes are displayed on a mannequin rather than a hanger, I used to send them to a friend who had one to photograph and stuff, but we've had a falling out now so I really need to get one of my own - a hassle as they are impossible to find cheap anywhere! I tend to do the best with proper vintage, anything from Topshop as American girls go mad for it, and leather accessories of any description as they're just so damn expensive new. I'm just about to do a bumper listing this weekend so I'll post the link here. Can't check out you gals' stuff right now, as unfortunately we're barred from using eBay at work - sob!
vixen_within
Ah, the red shoes. I seem to have a non-paying bidder, so they haven't left their home yet. I will be re-listing them in early/mid September along with some other items. Pointy my dear, you missed my slew of auctions - the bulk of them ended last night (with mixed reviews). I want to see yours! Link please!~

ETA: btw Pointybird I found my mannequin in the industrial part of town where someone had bought out the supplies from a closed down Sears store and was storing them in his warehouse. It cost me less than $20. I found him by scanning craigslist for a few weeks. You should look for stores that are closing their doors, especially the big ones like H&M (or their GB equivalents?) and approach the manager. Ask them what they are doing with their store fixtures as they are often willing to sell.
thepointybird
Ugh, Vixen, I feel for you, non-paying bidders are the worst! I had a girl a while back who bought a bag from me and I literally emailed her for 3 weeks and had to end up going through eBay in a non-paid item dispute before she coughed up. Unfortunately, I was away for a week by the time I got her payment, and by the time I got back from my trip, she had already sent me 2 demanding and very rude emails wanting to know why she hadn't received her item yet? GRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!! I HATE that we're not allowed to leave negative feedback for these clowns - WTF were eBay thinking when they invented that rule?

Cheers for the mannequin tip though, I will check that out!
vixen_within
QUOTE(thepointybird @ Aug 22 2008, 05:24 AM) *
Ugh, Vixen, I feel for you, non-paying bidders are the worst! I had a girl a while back who bought a bag from me and I literally emailed her for 3 weeks and had to end up going through eBay in a non-paid item dispute before she coughed up. Unfortunately, I was away for a week by the time I got her payment, and by the time I got back from my trip, she had already sent me 2 demanding and very rude emails wanting to know why she hadn't received her item yet? GRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!! I HATE that we're not allowed to leave negative feedback for these clowns - WTF were eBay thinking when they invented that rule?

Cheers for the mannequin tip though, I will check that out!

Particularly galling is the fact that non payers can leave negative feedback! Both the American and Canadian seller's boards are all up in arms about the bizarre changes.
lananans
What would be some good tips on selling things on ebay??? If I was to say sell, clothes, or books... any advice would be greatly appreciated. smile.gif
vixen_within
Tips, tips I got tips!

Today might be a good day to start Lananans, since they're having a listing fee special on ebay.ca - although a lot of people might be froshing not shopping, it's a good way to try out your listings.

This is what I've learned so far

Take lots of photos, it makes a HUGE difference. Make sure they're focused, different angles, long shots & close ups for clothes - close ups of special detailing or interesting patterns are good. Ebay charges fees for multiple photos so I don't bother with them, I host my pictures through auctiva.com because it's free.

Include as much useful detail as you can in the description (measurements, material's composition, item history if it's interesting or makes it more unique, & disclose all flaws so there are no surprises).

It makes a difference if you can include shipping prices in your listing. I ship from Canada too and I'm here to tell you Canada Post is really gnarly to deal with compared with the cakewalk service Americans have. The rules are Byzantine and confusing and it's remarkably expensive to ship across Canada - to the point where I might stop shipping out west - or I may start putting in a disclaimer or something. I don't use ebay's shipping calculator because it's notoriously inaccurate for Canadians and it doesn't let you specify regional differences, the way that Canada Post demands. I've been using regional, national, US, & international flat rates that I've calculated instead, there might be better methods out there though..

If you can afford it get a small scale bring out the tape measure to cut down on the surprises. Search ebay.ca to see what other Canadians are charging for shipping for similar items.

Oh and if there are places that you don't want to ship to, include it in your item description - if someone somewhere you don't ship wins it, they can dispute and force you to ship if you haven't included the nixing statement.

Check out the Canadian sellers discussion board on ebay too I've found it really helpful.

I found that books sold very poorly on ebay. It wasn't worth it for me to pay a listing fee for them. I've put them up on Amazon.ca and am seeing how that goes (Amazon doesn't have listing fees).

Hey, Pointybird Crinoline just posted an amazing duct tape dress form over in the crafty thread. I hope she doesn't mind me cross-posting the how-to link over here, but it's just so completely awesome http://etsylabs.blogspot.com/2007/03/dress...make-exact.html
thepointybird
Cheers Vixen, that link is amazing! Funny, cos I was just thinking last night about how I might try to make a paper-maiche copy of another friend's dressmakers dummy, but I'll definitely get my SO to help me do this at the weekend instead - much less hassle! what a fab idea too!

I'm bummed cos I did some listings the other week and only one item sold (an 80s Atari console - so look out for those when you're thrifting, there are a lot of geek-chic types out there who'll pay good money for those!) Mind you, most of my other items were sunglasses and sandals, and the weather is particularly wet and windy in Britain right now, so I think I didn't time it especially well. I'm gonna hit a few jumble sales this weekend though, and do a mage-listing towards the end of the month. Fingers crossed!
lananans
Thanks for the tips vixen! I'm going to see what I can do. I'm planning a big thrifting-spree this upcoming week and then I may have some listings.

Do you guys ever use etsy.com?? I've got a thing for vintage stuff, and a lot of people sell vintage items on there, and the thing I like is that it's a fixed price, and no bidding. I just don't know how well it would work...

vixen_within
QUOTE(thepointybird @ Sep 4 2008, 07:13 AM) *
Cheers Vixen, that link is amazing! Funny, cos I was just thinking last night about how I might try to make a paper-maiche copy of another friend's dressmakers dummy, but I'll definitely get my SO to help me do this at the weekend instead - much less hassle! what a fab idea too!

I'm bummed cos I did some listings the other week and only one item sold (an 80s Atari console - so look out for those when you're thrifting, there are a lot of geek-chic types out there who'll pay good money for those!)....

Darn I passed one of those over at my neighbour's sale last weekend!

You know what, I'm finding that my Buy It Now jewelery, particularly one of a kind and vintage styled, currently sells much better than my other items. Someone else pointed out that a lot of female buyers seem to prefer the BIN format to the auction - they want the item, not the wait, & maybe it's even safe to say that they don't need to "play auction" to know when they've found a bargain.

Lananans honestly, I think the vibe at etsy is much more positive than on ebay. On ebay, it seems like everyone is afraid of being ripped off & paranoia runs high. Whether there's a good reason for that or not I have yet to find out...If parcels don't arrive as soon as expected, you can probably expect a monosyllabic, exclamation marky message from your customer. I have a particularly hard time with American customers who's expectations of carrier speeds are very high & don't really take into account distance, borders, customs when they're buying from Canadians. So, I haven't tried etsy, but it looks attractive & there seem to be lower fees & longer listing times, that's always good news.
lananans
Thanks for the advice! It's very helpful.
crazyoldcatlady
vixen, i totally just bidded on your cherry ring smile.gif
vixen_within
QUOTE(crazyoldcatlady @ Sep 6 2008, 11:33 AM) *
vixen, i totally just bidded on your cherry ring smile.gif

Yaaay! *does the kermit happy dance* Thanks cat lady - I really like that one too it's one of my favourites.
likeanyother
Hello, fellow ebayers! I have few things on ebay at the moment, the vintage dress are truly sweet. They end soon, but more to come later in the week....
vixen_within
QUOTE(likeanyother @ Sep 8 2008, 08:07 PM) *
Hello, fellow ebayers! I have few things on ebay at the moment, the vintage dress are truly sweet. They end soon, but more to come later in the week....

it isn't my size, but i really like the pattern on the vintage Saks dress.
likeanyother
Thanks Vixen, it is super cool. I'm lucky enough to know a woman who owns a vintage clothing store here who knows zip about ebay, so she gives me a cut to put her stuff up for her. Now I just need the motivation to put my own dust-collecting goods up there.....
lananans
I like those dresses too, but unfortch they are not my size either. Otherwise I would be tempted!
lananans
Last night I lost a bidding war for a 30GB Ipod Video.... with ONE SECOND LEFT... one second left and I was the high bidder. Sigh. I need to hone my ebay skills apparently.

crazyoldcatlady
nooooooooooooooooooooo!

vixen! i was at work all day and i didn't have a chance to war with the winner on ebay!

do you have any more cherry ringgggggs??? pleeease? i wanted to get it for a friend sad.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.