Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Bragging Rights
The BUST Lounge > Forums > The F-Word
obelix
I have a serious phone phobia. But the boss asked me to call the lab and have them send the results directly to the client. I had to write myself a script for the conversation, including my name(!), but I did it!

And even better- the conversation didn't go perfectly, but I handled the bumps and felt totally kick-ass at the end of it anyway.
sidecar
good for you, girlbomb! I too loved your book -- I couldn't put it down and read it in two sittings.
natulik
girlbomb - I bought your book while I was in NY last week and finished it yesterday. I couldn't put it down. It was amazing, inspiring, touching, and all of those wonderful things that books should be. Wow.

3 of my friends are already standing in line to borrow it from me - I think that's all I talked about the past few days. Even my mother wants to read it. You're awesome. You're so very very awesome.

And yes, I cried at the end. Something I haven't done in a very very long time from a book.
miss_jane
After years of hating them, I just looked down and thought "Lordy do I love my breasts".
raisingirl
Bump!

I choked back my nerves and wrote to someone I burned bridges with a loooooong time ago in the hopes of making a new start. I jumped around after I hit the "send" button. I was just that excited. Yay!
mandolyn
so, did you get a favorable reply, raisin? is it all good now?

brag: i just set my cell ringtone to barenaked ladies' call and answer ... "if you call, i will answer ..." how friggin cute am i?

betcha that just cost me $10, tho. verizon bastids.
jemisoutrageous
Mandy, you are MAD CUTE!
raisingirl
haha, the people at Verizon are bastids!

YES! Favorable reply had and it looks like we're going to meet this coming week. I'm actually surprised at how smooth it has been. ::knocking on wood and my forehead::
katiebelle2882
i dont usually brag, but i interviewed for a job yesterday, and today they called me and gave me an offer of 10 GRAND more than i am making now. so of course i said yes.
hummingbird
Jesus, katiebelle, what the f*ck do you do for a living!? And how can I get on...I mean...uh, really...that's GREAT!!!!
katiebelle2882
i work in advertising hummingbird in nyc. this really comes at a time when i need it the most in terms of credit card bills and whatnot so i am psyched to say the least. maybe ill even be able to move out of my damn house..... thanks for the congrats, i still can hardly believe it:-)
oh hummingbird, wheres that mid twenties thread! i think that was an awesome idea!
sixelacat
Go Katie Go!!!!

*double hurkie*

I love it when Busties get PAID!!!
pepper
yah katiebelle!!!woot! good for you, you deserve it chica.
hummingbird
katiebelle, the thread is in working girls. Congrats again, and don't forget to celebrate cause' your movin on up!
katiebelle2882
awwww thanks guys:-) you got me all blushing and stuff
raisingirl
I will not let this thread die.

Aww yeah, the CD cabinet looks pretty spiffy when it's organized, now, doesn't it? Happy happy joy joy.

Thank you, Morrissey, for keeping me company on what would have been an otherwise lonely Saturday night. Heh.
mandolyn
i woke up coming to an amazing sex dream this morning.
which proves, i guess, that i'm not dead yet. hee.
bunnyb
I'm having a productive day; it could be more so, however, which means getting back to it after this post (and lengthy break).

I have a lot to brag about/be thankful for: I have a boyfriend who I am dippy for and who adores me back, who spoils me and treats me like a princess.

I have a loving family and a sister and kitty I adore (my kitty is too cute today - he has been curled up at my feet whilst I type, since I woke).

I have fabulous friends (IRL and not). One of my best bought me Ed Wood on dvd and I love her dearly and need to rave about her, for that alone!
sassygrrl
Bunnyb, your friend that bought you Ed Wood rocks. I'm getting that DVD with my next paycheck (half inspiried by the glorious Johnny Depp thread now).

I have a group of loving friends (IRL and here) that are brillant and funny. And although my family is quite dysfunctional (after all we put the fun in it... then again whose's family isn't) I know that deep down they love me.

And thankful for my crap job, even though it's crap. I'd glad I'm employed.... after considering that I deal with unemployment statistics all day long in my job.

Oh, and HOORAY for Katiebelle! That frigging rocks chica!

curioushair
This is an incredibly small accomplishment, and should absolutely not affect my self-esteem in anyway, but one of my pictures finally made Flickr's Explore page.

The slightly bigger accomplishment is that I finished a rough draft of...something. It doesn't even come close to being novel-like, but it's a start. (Yeah, it was for NaNoWriMo, but what a way to kick your butt into writing--50,000 words in a month!. And I get a cute little certificate and web icon.)
maimy
I'll brag about writing too - my novel-thing is 177 pages, and I am on track to the goal of 200 by New Year's. Wewt.
raisingirl
Congratulations, you two, on your writing accomplishments!
nickclick
congrats to all!

my iStockphoto pics are selling like hotcakes!
maimy
I contacted my creative writing prof, the only remaining link to my alma mater, and he is STILL using one of my stories occasionally in his class. For clarity: That's 17 years after I wrote it. I don't think even *I* have a copy of it anymore ... Maybe I need to ask him for a mimeograph - hee.

He and his wife are among the few profs whose names I still recognize at the University. There were a few Emeritii - but so many new names on departmental lists! Seems to happen so much faster than it used to, professorial turnover. I'd have sworn, when I was little, professors were fixtures to last several generations.

(*Thinking of Reg Chronotis* Heh)
maimy
Okay, thread-hogging. And half of what I want to post isn't even something to brag about as if it were something I'd wrought somehow. But today has been packed with good things.

>> I hit 207 pages on my novel. My goal was 200 by New Year's Eve.
>> That's 60,592 words, kids!
>> My $5,000 bonus also hit my account today. Neato-spedito.
>> My insurance company sent me a letter of apology and a $17 check for a prescription overcharge today.
>> I found just the right pair of gold earrings today (have been less-than-half looking for about a year now), and bought them.
>> This was during a very convivial shopping trip with my mother, who may now be convinced I am not suicidal. It may not be accurate, but it's a good sham.
>> kog3100 may be visiting shortly.
>> There is reason to hope he may be moving permanently not too long after said visit. We'll see.
>> Our firm has decided to close for the National Day of Mourning for President Ford. This equals a four-and-a-half day weekend, as I left at one today.
>> The weather has been in the fifties and seventies. This bodes well for MUCH-needed car-cleaning ...
>> A BUSTie who shall remain nameless (but who really digs pug pups) gave me a very lovely compliment on my way with words.
>> A little girl at the mall gave her mommy a very lovely compliment on "that lady's pretty hair." *SQUEE* (SO cute - little white tights and little ballet shoes ...)
>> I did not feel like a complete total fat-ass ... before dinner ... (Hey, gotta start somewhere.)

I will stop now. But - yeah. I am grateful.
raisingirl
It's about time he moved closer, Maimy. I'm crossing all parts for you that it happens in 2007.
go_kayte
I won two straight leg falls in indian leg wrestling! Against the guy who before was undefeated! That makes me the new unofficial indian leg wrestling champ! (We're thinking of creating a league)
nickclick
???indian leg wrestling???

is that like sitting indian-style? (or as my 1st grade teacher-roomate may call it, to be more PC - sitting like a pretzel, or criss-cross applesauce)
go_kayte
QUOTE(nickclick @ Jan 4 2007, 09:57 AM) *

???indian leg wrestling???

is that like sitting indian-style? (or as my 1st grade teacher-roomate may call it, to be more PC - sitting like a pretzel, or criss-cross applesauce)

No, it's like arm wrestling but with legs. It's kind of hard to explain without seeing it, but two people lie down on their backs in opposite directions and lock their elbows. Then they each put their inside legs up in the air and lock them and try to pull the other person over. It's really fun.
housewife
Oooo...we did that in college. I never won a match, but it was stupidly fun. my friend, this really skinny girl, was great at indian wrestling. I couldnt never figure out how she could beat people so much bigger than her?

ok...bragbragbrag...

I just had an opening the other night and I sold 1/3 of my paintings in the first hour (!!!) I just got an offer for a show at another fabulous little art spot for this spring.

c'mon. high five me.
roseviolet
[Gives my fellow housewife a big High 5]
That is fabulous!!! Congrats!
housewife
QUOTE(roseviolet @ Jan 24 2007, 10:00 AM) *

[Gives my fellow housewife a big High 5]
That is fabulous!!! Congrats!

: ) thanks!
curioushair
A local "alternative paper" gave me "blog of the week." (Which is probably like being voted prettiest gorilla. for all I know. Yay?) It didn't cause the spike in traffic that I expected/feared, but being noticed is nice. (She says as she retreats to the underground.)
Phantom
QUOTE(maimy @ Dec 5 2006, 08:04 PM) *

I'll brag about writing too - my novel-thing is 177 pages, and I am on track to the goal of 200 by New Year's. Wewt.

Congratulations! I never had the attention span to write a novel. What's it about?

QUOTE(go_kayte @ Jan 3 2007, 07:51 PM) *

I won two straight leg falls in indian leg wrestling! Against the guy who before was undefeated! That makes me the new unofficial indian leg wrestling champ! (We're thinking of creating a league)

I've heard of leg wrestling, but I've never tried it. It sounds like fun.

QUOTE(curioushair @ Jan 28 2007, 10:03 AM) *

A local "alternative paper" gave me "blog of the week." (Which is probably like being voted prettiest gorilla. for all I know. Yay?) It didn't cause the spike in traffic that I expected/feared, but being noticed is nice. (She says as she retreats to the underground.)

Hey now, some of those Gorillas can be pretty hot...uh...or so I've heard. unsure.gif Moving right along, you're still doing better than I am with my myspace blog, which nobody. ever. reads. EVER.

P.S.

I love your Lego dominatrix avatar. I ate slept and drank Legos when I was a kid.
puppykitty
I'm gonna brag for a sec.

I got a new job as a line cook at a fancy schmancy fine dining restaurant, and although I was scared as hell to start off with, I am kicking ass!!! I have been whipping the desserts out (it feels like - I'm actually kind of slow), and one of the servers said yesterday that the desserts have been coming out gorgeous. Yay for me.

My trainer said that although I'm not fast yet (she doesn't expect me to be right off the bat), I have been doing everything RIGHT, so that's an awesome start, and better than she can say about others she has trained.

One more thing. I listen to "The World" on NPR every day, and I love the GeoQuiz, but it's always so effing hard. Two days ago, I solved it! Hells yeah! I solved it before Lisa Mullens even finished describing the location! You know why I solved it? BECAUSE I AM THE SMARTEST PERSON IN THE WORLD!!!

OK, maybe not that, but I am now an official NPR-dork.
crazyoldcatlady
i totally got quoted in a prominent and prestigious medical journal!

...but it was uncredited sad.gif

but yay! my words in print!
curioushair
QUOTE(crazyoldcatlady @ Feb 9 2007, 11:58 PM) *

i totally got quoted in a prominent and prestigious medical journal!

...but it was uncredited sad.gif

but yay! my words in print!

Congratulations. I'm sorry you weren't credited though. I've had that happen before -- with photos, not words. On one hand, "Yay! I got noticed!" On another, "But nobody knows it's me!" Kind of stings a litte.
girltrouble
yay! my first commsion (sp?) for a painting. there are still details to nail down, but yay! oh and i might be on a late night cable axcess show talking about transgenderism and my paintings and i am supposed to be written up on a website soon...

*starts singing 'fame' and dancing around*
*i feel it coming together..."
/dorkyness
maimy
Phantom, it's a historical novel set in late antiquity in Gaul. Up to 211 pages since the December 5 post (and the sequel, which has been forming more slowly alongside the first work, is up to 74 pages of outlining and notation; though there's very little final writing in the second, the deployment of research is a big part of this process, so getting 74 pages in order and into place is pretty good).
curioushair
QUOTE(Phantom @ Feb 9 2007, 02:25 AM) *

Hey now, some of those Gorillas can be pretty hot...uh...or so I've heard. unsure.gif Moving right along, you're still doing better than I am with my myspace blog, which nobody. ever. reads. EVER.

P.S.

I love your Lego dominatrix avatar. I ate slept and drank Legos when I was a kid.

Thanks. My traffic only shot up for two hours on the Thursday afternoon I got "best blog." (I guess that's how long it took me to fall off their website's front page.) It didn't lead hordes of readers to my site, but that's okay. It was in the print edition, too, and a few of my mom's friends congratulated me on my "article." I though that was funny.
crazyoldcatlady
girtrouble, let us know when/where you're featured on the site smile.gif

and, because i'm on a roll this week...

i TOTALLY got to shake Hillary Clinton's hand and have a brief two-liner with her today smile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gif
Phantom
QUOTE(maimy @ Feb 10 2007, 04:37 PM) *

Phantom, it's a historical novel set in late antiquity in Gaul. Up to 211 pages since the December 5 post (and the sequel, which has been forming more slowly alongside the first work, is up to 74 pages of outlining and notation; though there's very little final writing in the second, the deployment of research is a big part of this process, so getting 74 pages in order and into place is pretty good).

...and it's not even pure fiction! That's ambitious. Is it a war novel? I looked up Gaul, and much of what I found is about the Gallic Wars.

QUOTE(curioushair @ Feb 10 2007, 06:18 PM) *

Thanks. My traffic only shot up for two hours on the Thursday afternoon I got "best blog." (I guess that's how long it took me to fall off their website's front page.) It didn't lead hordes of readers to my site, but that's okay. It was in the print edition, too, and a few of my mom's friends congratulated me on my "article." I though that was funny.

You're welcome. wink.gif
maimy
Phantom, the Gallic wars significantly predated my period - I'm in the 4th/5th centuries AD, so more of a Frankish and Gallo-Roman dynamic. (There is also a sequel for which I have a chunk of outlining and a first chapter written, but as it is about a scion of the family who married into another culture, it departs from this setting into more Byzantine territory.)
Phantom
Wow, I wish I paid more attention in history class! A lot of authors of novels post the first chapter in various places on the Internet to get their audience hooked - will you be doing that when your book?
stargazer
I got an internship position, which in itself is no big deal. Many people getting their doctorates have done it too. But, it just feels so good after the rough couple of years I've had. It feels so good!
raisingirl
I was quoted in the BUST email newsletter thingie AGAIN?! And this time for saying something totally inane. Gee... thanks?! biggrin.gif
maimy
*Must start to actually read those now*
raisingirl
Trust me, you're NOT missing a thing -- I mean, unless you're actually LOOKING for a reason to get out of bed!
kiss_the_fiddler
Heya, I don't know where to post this but it was funny and I wanted to say it somewhere.

As you know, I'm a member of our local volunteer fire department. I've worked hard for the department and I consider myself to be just one of the guys, even though I'm the only woman firefighter. I change clothes in the truck bay where they change clothes, I sleep in the trucks with them, we work very close together and have what I consider to be a mutual respect.

Today, we had a call. Driving back to the fire hall after the call, I notice that my car parked in the lot has a flat tire. I mention it in passing and we go in and rehab our equipment. When we're finished, I say that I'm going to go deal with my flat tire. I go out to the lot and begin to change my tire, by myself. In a few minutes, the other two firefighters come out, say they're going to lunch, wave goodbye and drive off - leaving me to finish changing the tire on my car all by myself. Proof positive that I'm one of the guys. I was a little peeved that they didn't offer to help me. I would have said thanks but I've got it, but they could at least have offered. But more than that, I'm proud that I'm just one of the guys there. It feels good.

fiddler (who can be a very girly girl sometimes)
treehugger
hehe...I'd be pimping em, saying "i better never see you helping EACH OTHER with yer tires"... wink.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.