Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: sooo tired... can't sleep. INSOMNIA.
The BUST Lounge > Forums > Our Bodies, Our Hells
Pages: 1, 2, 3
kiss_the_fiddler
I resorted to the radioactive moth last night and finally slept but don't feel rested. It's hot, my body hurts, it's fire season so there's no set schedule anymore, gripe gripe gripe. You're right snarky, I can get through it. It's like this every summer (usually not so hot though). Yeah for the radioactive moth.

shinyx3
lunesta?
kiss_the_fiddler
yup, lunesta. aka the radioactive moth
kiss_the_fiddler
God damn radioactive moth. Instructions are to take the pill and go to bed right away as it works quickly. Good. Alright. So I did that. Slept very fitfully for 1.5 hours. Nice start, but where's the other promised 6 hours of blessed sleep? Maybe I got the tired end of the batch. I'm frustrated. How in the heck am I supposed to be fucking human if I can't get any sleep. I'm frustrated and hot. (it's way too hot here for my neck of the woods. Just about redonculous.
CanCan
QUOTE(pepper @ Nov 22 2006, 12:43 PM) *
i have really low iron, not anemic but close. it's chronic, i supplement all the time. three months on, three months off (or until i start to feel depleted, believe me i can tell when i am). it's in an ok range, i just got tested, still lowish but acceptable. i take a desicated liver supplement with vit c, manganese, folic acid and b12 added. it's good, i feel it working. i read to take it with dinner, is there a better time than that?

what about 5htp? i considered it when i was feeling so low but the st john's wort worked really well for me. does it help with sleep as well? can i take it during pregnancy or should i just stick with the melatonin? and can i take one when i wake in the night or will that not be as effective as taking it at bed time? i never know when i'm going to be restless until i am.

Hi,
I am actually on another thread, and was reading this one, because it happens to be on top of 'our bodies, our hells'. I have problems sleeping too.. and I found something that is helping me. First off, maybe I should mention the things that are helping me: I started taking the B12, which seems to be good so far, and I'm taking B-Complex. The B vitamins are really important for your nerves and relaxation. Whether you have sleeping issues or not. The other thing is the St. John's Wort liquid that a naturopathic doctor told me to buy. I take a quarter of a teaspoon of it under my tongue whenever I feel panicky, and it works right away. Like in five minutes. I think the stuff is great, and would tell you the name of the brand, but I bought it up in Canada, and it doesn't seem to have a proper label on it! Also, you can take it before bed, instead of a quarter teaspoon, I sometimes take half teaspoon, and it makes it easier to sleep. I tried Melatonin, but when I bought it at the healthfood store, the salesman told me that melatonin works on some people, but not on all people. I didn't ask why. Next time I will ask him, because I am curious, it didn't at all work for me. After using it for a week, I gave it to a friend of mine who I know swears by it. Whatever.

The other thing I am trying which seems to be working so far, which I bought at the healthfood store too is L-Tryptophan. It is similar to 5-HTP that you are mentioning. I asked the salesman which one I should try tryptophan or 5htp, and he said there are benefits to both. But they were kind of expensive, so I just bought one, to experiment first, and see if that works first before buying the other one. So far, I have to say that the Tryptophan works very well. I don't take the whole capsule though. It seems like a lot. So I open it up, and dump out half of it, and take the half pill. It's a 1.5 gram capsule, so half is approximately 3/4 of a gram. I take it only before bed, and it works for me. I have been trying them on and off for the past 10 days, and I seem to sleep a lot better when I take it! And I think it is probably o.k. for you to take, because it is the amino acid that is found naturally in turkey.
annelise
does lunesta seem to work less over time? my bf takes it from time to time, and i still remember the first time he took it...he didn't realize he was supposed to go to bed right away, so he was taking the pill while on the phone with me and went right to sleep! but now it doesn't seem to work too well for him--it works, but only for 3 or 4 hours, then he's awake and grumpy and the whole bit.

it never worked for me, i had to take twice the dose just to feel drowsy. so i don't bother with the radioactive moth.

my sleep is awful, and i've been taking tylenol pm every night in addition to my usual prescription because it seems that lately i need both, but i hate it that i have to pop so many pills, and i still don't sleep enough...don't sleep well or wake up too early or whatever.
kiss_the_fiddler
I don't know if lunesta works less over time. I don't take it very often at all. I have taken less than 30 in the last 9 months. Dunno. It's so hot here that it'd be hard to sleep even if I were knocked flat on my ass. Maybe it's time to look in to A/C.

p_176
more nightmares this week. most of my stress was last week, so maybe it's just leftover...hope it goes away soon....
kiss_the_fiddler
aw, p_176, nightmares totally suck. I've been having them too. I hope they go away too. Wishing all of us sound restful sleep.
annelise
i need to sleep i am moving in two days. but i am too nervous, there is so much to do tomorrow and i'm hungry but my fridge is nearly empty and i've already brushed my teeth and i should just sleep i'm so so so so sos leepy but there's way too mcuh swimming around my mind. bad enough when insomnia is physiological, when it's anxiety i'm scrrewd, drugs or not. sleeping so badly lately, sheeit..
snarky7
annelise...i know the feeling. me too. ah yes, i'm all setup for a classic insomnia night. tired today, no time for nap, good evening, but things to do now...won't sleep til they are off my mind...and here i am, adding to the boards... guess i'd best get things done so i can sleep before daylight....
kiss_the_fiddler
Hi all. I subbed for someone on a fire engine assigned to one of the wildfires we have going on here in MT. As my luck would have it, we got the night shift. We worked hard and got off a long shift safely. I hung around fire camp all the next day waiting for a firefighter to come out and replace me for the next shift. I didn't sleep one single wink. I got home last night and slept hard, until after noon today. Now, I'm dead tired but wide awake. This is soooooooooooooooooooooooooooo frustrating. I hate it. Just want to fucking sleep.
Ugh!
snarky7
kiss - any tricks work for you? hot tea (god can you imagine in this heat?), warm milk (nearly as bad), warm bath (hmmm...have to think of "cool" things), spouse giving you a backrub? you gotta get some rest! here's hoping you can find sweet dreams soon tonight...
snarky7
kiss - any tricks work for you? hot tea (god can you imagine in this heat?), warm milk (nearly as bad), warm bath (hmmm...have to think of "cool" things), spouse giving you a backrub? you gotta get some rest! here's hoping you can find sweet dreams soon tonight...
kiss_the_fiddler
Got home last night from a very long shift. Crashed hard and slept all night and then some. Napped today too. Now, of course, I'm wide awake. Grrr. . . So I'm griping. Snarky asked what works for me. Hmmm. . . Some of the things that have worked: yes, warm bath (just took one), warm milk, lavender oil, herbal remedy with valarian and other stuff, tv in background (gives my mind something to listen to so I don't follow random thoughts into craziness), counting, ear plugs (spouse snores), masturbating, and, of course, drugs (I have and can use an assortment legally but don't like to because then I can't respond to calls when my pager goes off.) What works for you?

Fiddle
p_176
too much caffiene. sleeping pills are my friend today.
Muffy
I haven't had a day off from work in almost 2 weeks and for some reason sleep seems to allude me.

As for sugguestions on helping one sleep I've heard if you can't sleep get up don't stay in bed. Sometimes it works sometimes not. I ended up getting up several times last night to read, write, get a drink, ect. I took a hot bath last night, practiced yoga, read, I was quite relaxed.
kiss_the_fiddler
So, I have been sleeping well lately. I've been going to bed earlier and (trying) to get up earlier. Except for tonight. I got so mad at my wife, so worked up that I'm still awake. Piss! I took a hot bath, ate a healthy snack, read a boring book on life insurance. And I still can't sleep. Lesson of the day: don't get mad right before bed. Duh. . .

fiddler
LoveMyPugs
Crazy new school schedule this semester so I'm up half the night and wanting to either sleep in or I get up early when I don't have to.

Monday class at 8:30 a.m. - 10 a.m. then another at 1:30 p.m. - 4:30 p.m.
Tuesday class at 1:30 p.m. - 4:30 p.m.
Wednesday class at 8:30 a.m. - 10 a.m.
Thursday class at 1:30 p.m. - 4:30 p.m. then again at 5:30 pm. - 9:30 p.m.
Firday class at 8:30 a.m - 10 a.m.

Trying to go to bed between 9 and 10 every night but I'm used to my summer routine of going to bed at 1 - 2 a.m. Try to sleep in alittle on Tuesday and Thursday but I have homework to do in the morning and going to bed early makes me want to get up at the ass crack of dawn. Can't barely get myself out of bed on Monday, Wednesday and Friday. Everything is all fucked up. Went to bed around midnight and was up at 4 a.m. Think I'll try so tea and see if I can get a few more hours before I head into school.

Goodmorning/night
1womanarmy1
I have a crazy schedule too, LoveMyPugs. I only have classes on two days a week this semester but I am there from 8:30 am-8pm with one hour break from 5-6. And my college is an hour and a half away from the town my fiance and I recently moved back to. I substitute teach on the other 3 days, early in the morning. I know I have insomnia. I also have a little bottle full of radioactive moths and other bottles full of other drugs to catch the ever-elusive wink of sleep, but I never feel rested when I use them and they invariably make my insomnia worse for the few days following a night when I take a dose or two out of desperation.

It's probably because of stress. My fiance is ill. Which is why we moved back here, in with her elderly uncle. Who does not know that we are together. Or that we are lesbians. I withdrew from all of my classes last semester when we first discovered she was sick, which means I won't be graduating this spring, or going to law school next year. Which isn't even important, compared to her health. But, as it turns out, there isn't much I can do for her. She'll be out on disability, getting chemo even though she doesn't have cancer, waiting on a transplant list for the next unknown number of years, acting like a child arguing with me every time I try to give her her meds. I don't blame her for being cranky, mad, frustrated. But its a weird position to be in. I'm used to her taking care of me, making love with me, holding me until we both fell asleep and again when I woke up from the nightmares I've been having my whole life. Now she goes to bed by 9:30 every night and is mad all the time. She won't let me near her, she feels disgusting. Which I understand. Its just stressful, and hard. I'm sorry, this is getting longer and longer and less and less about sleep (or lack thereof). Didn't mean to turn this into a rant that probably sounds incredibly insensitive. I need to sleep. Its been months. blah. i hope you all are sleeping better soon. I hope we all are. ohmy.gif
kiss_the_fiddler
1womanarmy1, I don't mind your rant. Sounds like you're under a tremendous amount of stress. I'm sorry your sweetie is so sick. That's got to be hard. As far as radioactive moths and other such drugs, I find they don't really help me either in the long term. I use them less than once a week when I'm desperate. I've found that something called "Rescue Sleep" helps me. It's a flower essence remedy that can be purchased at a health food store. It's gentle, there aren't any side effects, and no grogginess the next day. I hope your life settles out and you can sleep.

fiddler
snarky7
it's been a bit since posts here. what is it about the fullness of the moon that seems to make my insomnia that much worse? i have tossed and turned the last several nights, though had been sleeping fairly well for me in the past couple weeks. is there any data out there to support my thought? anyone else feel the same way?
oceangirl
I've had insomnia for over a decade. I know that sounds crazy but it's true. I'm 27 now. My doctor thinks my insomnia could be caused by Lyme disease (I was just diagnosed a year ago after suffering symptoms for the last 13 years.) I am totally disabled now and have been since 2004. I am afraid I am never going to sleep again. I live in this twilight zone where I'm never asleep and never awake. I can't drive a car. I can't read a book. I can't function.

Just thought I would vent. Insomnia is ruining my life.
kiss_the_fiddler
OMG, oceangirl - I cannot imagine what that must be like for you. There's a naturopathic doctor here who specializes in treating Lyme desiese. Perhaps there's someone like that in your area? Come and vent here anytime. I hope that you find someone who can help you.

fiddler
jami
oceangirl - I wish the best for you. Never knew that about Lyme.
I'm on Ambien. at first it was name brand, and now the ins co will only cover the generic. I have tried to cut down, but I wake up and can't get back to sleep. and I use the earplugs.
when this divorce started up, and he was, well, not violent, but it couldabeen - I got horrible nightmares of him coming after me. with a knife, a gun, his hands. and it wasn't too far from reality, truthfully. I would wake up, shaking and terrified. or I would become aware that I was staring at the wall, not sure if I had been to sleep at all, or how long I had been like that. doctor prescribed Ambien.
I can't take the tylenol pm or the excederin one. they draw me into a blackness that is overwhelming and frightening. the ambien is more gentle. I can't describe it any other way.
and thanks CanCan for the natural info. nice to know there alternatives that work for some of us.
sassygrrl
I too have insomnia, have for years. I was engaged to a very abusive guy, and had horrible nightmares. Still do.

I'm thinking of getting back on Sonata or trying that new one out. Ambien didn't work well for me.
kiss_the_fiddler
It's a radioactive moth sort of night for me. except that i have so much fucking anxiety that i can't relax enough for the lunesta to kick in. i hate this. grrrr. . . .

fiddler
treehugger
Gah, for the last week I've been waking up between 1:00 and 1:30 AM and don't go back to sleep for a LONG time. Today, I just gave up and got up. Guess it's going to be a long day. I'm going to check into some bach flower remedies, I think.

I have the "mind swirling" insomnia. I can't turn it off! blink.gif
oceangirl
I'm going to be starting a new treatment so hopefully that will help my sleep. I really hope so!
jollycatrn
I started working nights a couple months ago. At first I didn't have any trouble sleeping at night on my days off, but now it's becoming more difficult. Tonight I kept my boyfriend up until now 'cause I was watching a movie. He has class in the afternoon and I feel horrible for keeping him up. But i feel like we don't get to spend much time together now since we're on different sleep schedules.

I need a quick and easy way to fall asleep that doesn't involve drugs. I'm used to falling asleep with the tv on, but this keeps my boyfriend up. Any ideas?
p_176
i second that question - are there tips for quick and easy ways to fall asleep without drugs? i changed my schedule so i have to wake up earlier (and thus go to sleep earlier)...even if i take nyquil, i am still not falling asleep. it's getting really old, really fast!
erinjane
My big problem lately is being woken up early and not being able to fall back asleep. I've been so exhausted lately and this is really frusturating. Last night it took me forever to fall asleep too and I woke up super early because my little niece was sick and crying. I would looooooove a few full nights sleep in a row.
lananans
p_176: My Grandma has always told me to eat a spoonful of peanut butter and its miraculously supposed to help you sleep. I find that it helps me but I don't know if its just all in my head because its a comforting grandma-recipe. It's a lot better than taking other drugs though, I find if I take those I'm so incredibly groggy/grumpy the next day.

My boyfriend went away for the weekend and I have not been able to sleep well without him. So right now I am absolutely exhausted. I probably wouldn't have gotten up in time for work if my cat hadn't been clawing at me.
shinyx3
omg erinjane, i hear you. a full nights sleep would be heaven. i havn't posted in here before because my sleeping issue is not so much me as my baby. he is going on four months now and still is a terrible sleeper. (this is why i go to bed at 11 and am up on the computer, holding him, at 4) i so wish the hubby would get up just once in a while. i am sooooo freakin tired!
kaylafresh
Ugh!!!! I can't sleep. I think my body is so used to consuming 35,000 calories and red wine from yesterday it doesn't know how to go to sleep! Two things that usually work is eating yogurt at night or if I wake up in the middle of the night. Must be the calcium. There is also this MAGIC potion I wish I had in the house. It's a calcium magnesium power that you put in warm water - should be in health food stores/whole foods.

unsure.gif
sugarsweet100
Just a few things to try...

Sometimes having the TV on really low or a fan blowing can be a soothing sound without sheer silence (which I'm not a fan of).
A cup of chamomile tea or a warm heating pad can feel really good (I find the warmer I am, the easier I fall asleep)
And if by "drugs", you mean sleeping pills, you should hit up an herbal store and find something more organic to help smile.gif
And make sure you get your body on a regular sleep pattern...I used to have insomnia when I was a teenager, and I'm not sure where the turning point was, but now I can sleep anytime, anywhere!! (it's probably just my lack of sleep in general)

I hope you start snoozin' smile.gif
konphusion26
I think my husbands tug boat snoring is keeping me from getting adequate rest at night. I wake up in the middle of the night and thats it, I can't go back. Since being out of work, I tend to be exhausted and catch up on sleep during the day after seeing him off to work. And he will not go to the doctor (I think he has mild sleep apnea). So I have to endure his roaring all night. Its to the point now that my sleep pattern is all messed up. Im hoping to find a job soon, so this will not work with me staying up till 4am and sleeping till 12pm or 1pm. Not working at all.
BustiRubi
I don't know if it's good or bad but, what I try to do is not worry about it
it's most likely it will take me a looong while before I will even begin to get sleepy but I try not to mind the clock and pretend that I will sleep in a couple hours............

It's mostly psychosomatic(sp?) in my case I think....I've read that there is something called Hyposomnia..I think that's what I have...

anyway, sleeping pills have left me feeling groggy the next day bleh.

Staring at screens (why I stay up reading these message boards heh) can help or make it worse-it depends. Sometimes extra lights in the room bug me I either have to cover them up or turn them off..like charger lights etc. (in feung shui electronics carry a lot of Chi/energy soo sometimes that keeps you up)

But anyway, I get to catch up on my movie watching, reading and writing.

konphusion26
Okay so tonight it seems to be worse. As I type, I hear him roaring and gasping in the other room. Here it is damn near 6am and I haven't been to sleep yet! Something has to change. I've emailed the sleep center here to get some information. I cannot take this anymore. I feel like a zombie. When he wakes up to pee in the mornings, and i'm just screwed cuz then i can't go back to sleep. Then his mother wants to call at 8am or his cousin sends random silly azz text messages to everyone in his phone at 7am. I'm on the verge of tears right now because I havent slept well in months. I dont recall it being this bad when we were living apart from each other.

I just want to get a good night's sleep. I know my guy can't help it really but still, its awful. I like sharing the bed with him, but its like impossible to get rest with a lion roaring next to your head. GOSH! unsure.gif mad.gif
coela

konphusion26 - May I suggest earplugs? Maybe not the friendliest way, but at least then you won't hear him.
Or anything at all, for that matter. Works for me. And he really should see a doctor about his apnea!

I also like Melatonin tablets A LOT, especially during spring & summer. Works like a charm, and no hangover.
I've had trouble sleeping since I was a child, and nothing has worked better than Melatonin. I have tried 4-5 or so
medicines and didn't like the grogginess the day after, and some of them didn't help at all. My best friend is also
a die hard insomniac, but then she bought a suitcase full of Melatonin in the US (you can't buy it where I live)
and shared some with me. Best. Sleep. Ever. during those 12 months they lasted.

I use a blindfold now instead, and it works.. ok. Better than without. It seems like both she & I have some
melatonin deficiency (+ of course your average general anxiety).

crazyoldcatlady
um.
yeeeeeeeeaaaaaahhhhhhh.

*sigh*
konphusion26
QUOTE(coela @ Dec 29 2007, 11:24 AM) *

konphusion26 - May I suggest earplugs? Maybe not the friendliest way, but at least then you won't hear him.
Or anything at all, for that matter. Works for me. And he really should see a doctor about his apnea!

I also like Melatonin tablets A LOT, especially during spring & summer. Works like a charm, and no hangover.
I've had trouble sleeping since I was a child, and nothing has worked better than Melatonin. I have tried 4-5 or so
medicines and didn't like the grogginess the day after, and some of them didn't help at all. My best friend is also
a die hard insomniac, but then she bought a suitcase full of Melatonin in the US (you can't buy it where I live)
and shared some with me. Best. Sleep. Ever. during those 12 months they lasted.

I use a blindfold now instead, and it works.. ok. Better than without. It seems like both she & I have some
melatonin deficiency (+ of course your average general anxiety).

Sister girl!! I bought some Melatonin and some other sleeping pills..I like the Melatonin much better! It was beautiful LOL and they worked faster than I thought it would. I got some great sleep last night, didnt even notice the hubby had come to bed. LOVELY. Thank you for that suggestion. YOu are THE WOMAN! lol
coela

QUOTE(konphusion26 @ Jan 5 2008, 05:12 PM) *
Sister girl!! I bought some Melatonin and some other sleeping pills..I like the Melatonin much better! It was beautiful LOL and they worked faster than I thought it would. I got some great sleep last night, didnt even notice the hubby had come to bed. LOVELY. Thank you for that suggestion. YOu are THE WOMAN! lol

Wow, I'm happy it worked for you! Melatonin is the greatest thing. Wish I had some too. :-)

opheliathemuse
tap...tap...tap...
Megnog
I have insomnia...I've had insomnia for a long time, I mean.. I don't remember the last time I fell asleep before 2. I've tried everything...Melatonin doesn't work for me. 5HTP, didn't work. strait theanine....didn't work! Rozerem, kinda works...but I've felt quite depressed. My doctor always tries natural methods with me, but nothing works. I also sleep with an eye mask and ear plugs. Any suggestions?
coela

Megnog, have you tried any form of Zolpidem? Works very well for me, but it makes me a little drowsy the day after.
It's for short term use, and your doctor may be a bit hesitant, but if you REALLY can't sleep, then this is it.

dayglowpink
Argh. I've never posted here before, but here I am up and exhausted and can't sleep. It's been awful all week. My boy and I have been at odds, and that absolutely kills my sleep along with any other kind of stressful situation I toss and turn all night, wake up at 3, just barely fall back asleep, and wake up again all morning. Sometimes I start to stress and worry right when I turn out the lights, and then I can't fall asleep at all. Right now my eyes are aching and burning, but if I close them I'll just lay here uncomfortable and toss and turn some more. It makes me want to pick fights with him so at least I'll be able to take out my frustration somehow. He was in a terrible mood tonight. It's so frustrating, because I fell asleep while he was watching TV, but then when he turned it off and went downstairs to let me sleep is when I was wide awake again and worrying about what was wrong with him, any and every problem we have, etc. Anyway, just needed to vent a little! I just took a Benadryl, so hopefully it will kick in soon.
knorl05
wheres the sooo tired... cant stay awake thread?
Megnog
I went to the doctor today and I have some interesting news I thought I would share with you all, it might help you. In September of 2006 I was diagnosed with lyme disease, which I have since linked to my insomnia(it causes fears, body aches, joint problems, problems getting comfortable). The doctor I speak of is my lyme specialist, but she's extremely knowledgable in all areas. (I got lyme when I was a baby, fyi), I have always been really afraid to fall asleep, still am. Night time rolls around and I DREAD it, so I stay up as long as I can. I'm strait up afraid to fall asleep. She's been testing me on a lot of different sleeping remedies, and today I finally fessed up to my BIG FEARS...root problem of why I can't sleep. I don't like talking about it because its embarrassing. She told me that I sounds like I have a form of post tramatic stress disorder....nothing terrible ever happened to me, but I had terrible things happen in my imagination when I was younger. This has been happening for so long now that I have linked falling alseep with being afraid and feeling vulnerable. She said that I can reverse this with sleep therapy...its a link in the brain. I'm so happy, I thought I was crazy for being so afraid....every night I think robbers are going to break into my house and murder my entire family. Anyways, theres hope I feel like. I thought maybe some of you have the same problem? Linking something to sleep....hence not being able to sleep. And if you have any questions about lyme feel free to ask.

ps: coela, what's zolpidem?

Also..my doctor gave me a handful of lunesta samples....so I can sleep, for now.
sexysandee
Lately with all my worrying about M and moving to Colorado; I have been up all night. I went to the ER on Saturday due to a migraine that I just could not kick. He sent me home with the usual pain med stuff, but he also gave me 12 tablets of Atavan. It worked wonders for my sleep. I just don't want to get all addicted.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.