Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: She's Crafty...the Revenge
The BUST Lounge > Forums > Absolutely Fad-ulous
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
pepper
le sigh, that's the range i'm getting from most of the people i've asked. too bad, i can't swallow working for $10 an hour. that's crap. i suppose these will just be used as gifts or maybe i'll join that sweatshop thread on craftster! way to get some neat goodies from other crafters, woohoo! that's what i'll do.

i've never sold this kind of stuff before, only clothes. even then, pricing was a big issue for me. that part i just suck at.

mmm, hot cross buns. post a picture when you're done!
dusty
What would be the downside of trying for $20?

That's me. I couldn't finish Gloria Page's Holy Mackeroly after I got to the part where she gave her philosophical reasons for not going above a certain price. I couldn't handle the idea of someone deliberately turning themselves into a sweatshop, especially when her market was museum stores and places like that.
beck
gah the computer ate my post!

i agree with dusty - why not try for $20 - they are def worth it for the craftsmanship (craftswomanship?) that went into them, it just depends whether your potential customers can afford it?

forgot to take a pic of the buns but they were tasty!
lunia666
I want to ask has anybody every worked with resin before ? I would love to make something like is (see link)
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=177080.0

anyway I hav never worked with resin can somebody rec a good starter kit. Also I have no clue where she got the mold for this from ( I think she says she used an old wood bangle) any way any ideas would be great smile.gif
Thanks
dusty
Sherri Haab has a good book called The Art of Resin Jewelry that might be helpful if you have never worked with resin before. She sells supplies on her website as well, www.sherrihaab.com, including a bangle mold.

It doesn't look to me as though the resin was integral to the project, since the artwork isn't embedded in the resin, it is decoupaged on the outside and the inside and then glazed or varnished.
tankgirl
Hey guys I have a question some of you might be able to help me with. A friend of mine is having a baby and I want to make them some personalized onsies. I know that on baby clothing that hits their skin has to be very smooth, aka no embroidery backing. Anyone have any ideas that worked for them? Maybe making a patch and sewing it on, but would that still be irritating? I'm so confused.
snarky7
Hey TG: You can do paint. find the puffy paint at any craft store - fabric paint. You can get fairly intricate, most of it washes well, and it is inexpensive. also, not sure if you or your friends would dig it, but tie-dye too. Now, with all that said, i didn't have anyone make me fun personalized onesies. i bought or was given purchased items. an embroidered patch was a common theme - a patch lightly stiched onto the onesie. Not irritating to my snarkyboy, but SUPER CUTE! also, stitching on the arm seemed not so bothersome - avoid stuff around the neck or leg openings, that's my suggestion.

anyway, good luck - hope they turn out how you want!
beck
ooh if we ask nicely maybe pepper will show us some of her embroidered patches, they are super cute. you out there pepper?

also, check out Craftster as i remember seeing some amazing customised onesies on there, i think maybe as one of the swaps (i'm sorry I don't have a link to the actual pics but i think you could do a search)
bustygirl
This is just for the STL area busties, but Cooperella Cafe in Maplewood is having their first ever Stitch & Bitch on April 11th. Bring your sewing machine, knitting needles, Bedazzler, what have you, and enjoy good food, good beer, good coffee, and good company from 5 to 9!
pepper
heya, if you sift through the pics in my flickr account i have a few onsies in there. i embroidered patches and then blanket stitched them on hiding the knots between the patch and the onsie so they weren't exposed and didn't touch the baby. embroidery floss is very soft, it's not an irritant.
the bonus about the patches is that they can be cut off and sewn onto bigger clothes or something else (like a keepsack quilt or jacket or bag or whatever).
beck
hey crafty busties. i've posted this on craftster too but thought you guys might have some ideas.

i want to make a baby activity mat/baby gym, so i get something unique, recycled, and cheaper than the 50 quid or so that they seem to cost.

for the mat, i was planning to use quilting and applique to give different textures, and pad it so that it can be put on our wooden floor and still be comfortable (the bought ones are very thin and need to be used with a cushion underneath). i thought i would do a border with some toys attached by cords or velcro, for when the baby is playing on its tummy or later on, sitting up.

Any suggestions for the most suitable filler to use would be welcome - i want the whole thing to be washable but ideally also to be able to wipe up minor messes without washing the whole thing - should i use something waterproof as an inner layer and if so, what? I'm thinking thick polyester wadding, the kind for quilts, and perhaps a fleece layer on the bottom, so it dries quickly.

What i am really stuck on though, is how to do the hanging stuff. The ones i have seen have two flexible poles (inside fabric tubes, kind of like in a tent) that cross over above the baby's head, and you can hang toys and bells and stuff from them. any suggestions for where i could get these kind of poles?

Hope this makes sense!

thanks!
ladywildcurls
Hmm, reading all about crafty ladies and seeing pics of all the cute and chic stuff that you ladies craft has made me itch to be crafty (which I'm not, at all!). I want to learn how to knit and such but there's a lack of classes and workshops in my area, so I was wondering if anyone here can recommend a good starter book/video/kit or whatever to get started on my path to craftiness. Thank you!
tankgirl

Here's a little mouse I knitted a while back.

Lsdy, the Stich n Bitch book taught me to knit. I learned really fast and there are great pictures that are really helpful.
mornington
ladywildcurls, I used the s'n'b "happy hooker" to learn how to crochet, "subversive stitching" to cross-stitch (sort-of) and craftster to just... pick things up. It really depends on what you want to learn; embroidery kits are a good place to start with that. Burda does a site called "burdastyle" and they have lots of sewing tutorials and patterns , and I'm sure there is a "how-to" on one of those sites...

beck, I'd maybe make a machine-washable outer cover, and then use a waterproof fabric and wadding to make the pad itself - so if something gets spilt badly, it can be flung in the machine but the pad is still undamaged. No idea about the poles, though. I want to say dowl, but if it's got to be flexible... Sounds really very cool, though!
beck
i think you're right about a separate outer cover mornington, i'll do that. luckily a lovely person on craftster is sending me some poles, so that part is now sorted! ladywildcurls, i second mornington, go on craftster, you'll get so many ideas!
ladywildcurls
[quote name='mornington' date='Jun 16 2008, 11:40 AM' post='201460']
ladywildcurls, I used the s'n'b "happy hooker" to learn how to crochet, "subversive stitching" to cross-stitch (sort-of) and craftster to just... pick things up. It really depends on what you want to learn; embroidery kits are a good place to start with that. Burda does a site called "burdastyle" and they have lots of sewing tutorials and patterns , and I'm sure there is a "how-to" on one of those sites...

Thank you very much for your advice! I bought the s'nb book trough amazon, and it's great! Now, if I could find a knitting and crochet supplier locally, I'm set!
bustygirl
Hey MO crafters, I'm spreading the word about a kid-friendly cafe I go to that has Crafternoons every second and fourth Sunday afternoon from 12 to 4. It's located in Maplewood, and you can get directions at http://www.cooperella.com.

Sewing Machines and sergers are welcome, and they serve beer and wine as well as coffee. Come say hi! I'll be there with my little 'un from about 2.
auralpoison
When my gran died, I inherited her "Hobby Lobby room". She had one whole bedroom in her house dedicated to her crafty arts. I've only just recently started to pick through it all. I found one HUGE plastic container filled with nothing but seed beads. WTF do you do with a million scrillion seed beads? I've also found a big collection of antique buttons & old broken jewelry bits that could be made into some stuff. I found one whole tankard that's filled with broken Sarah Coventry & the like, some really neato big beads. I've already ordered the Naughty Secretary book so I can do some jewelry stuff, but I dunno what other resources might be helpful. Any ideas? I'd appreciate any & all help.
kissmeducky
QUOTE(auralpoison @ Jul 13 2008, 06:34 PM) *
When my gran died, I inherited her "Hobby Lobby room". She had one whole bedroom in her house dedicated to her crafty arts. I've only just recently started to pick through it all. I found one HUGE plastic container filled with nothing but seed beads. WTF do you do with a million scrillion seed beads? I've also found a big collection of antique buttons & old broken jewelry bits that could be made into some stuff. I found one whole tankard that's filled with broken Sarah Coventry & the like, some really neato big beads. I've already ordered the Naughty Secretary book so I can do some jewelry stuff, but I dunno what other resources might be helpful. Any ideas? I'd appreciate any & all help.

Ack! I'm jealous. I would LOVE to inherit a room full of crafty bits goodness. For inspiration for a whole slew of crafts try browsing around Cratster, which is a craft community, or Etsy which is a shopping site but you might get a feel for what you can/might like to do.
pollystyrene
I found a great magazine called "Readymade" (I'll add a link as soon as the kinks are worked out of this new server- right now, I have no quickie button to hyperlink it.). It's all about crafty stuff, household tips, using old stuff to make new stuff and it's kind of hipster-y without being doofus-y. I've already signed up for a subscription!
mornington
ap: I'm just jealous. I second looking on craftster. If you really have *no* idea, ebay it, as there are plenty of people who'd be happy to buy seed beads by the gram...

also: naughty secretary do a book? omfg!
auralpoison
Yes! There is a Naughty Secretary book! I think I'm going to get Sherri Haab's books, the Art of Metal clay & the Art of Resin Jewelry, too.

THANKS GUYS!! Big fat smooches & booby squishins' to you all!

I've found a lot of inspiration in ads in BUST, on Etsy & the like. I kept seeing stuff where I thought, "hey I could do that!" I have a lot of those big fat round beads that seem to make cool rings. With the variety of the things I have, my only limit is my imagination.

My gran was a craft lady. She made all sorts of weird crafty shit, mostly underappreciated. I remember the year she gave me her "punk rock" sweatshirt covered in rainbow zippers. Now, had it beaan a fitted hoodie where the zippers actually showed flesh & there were maybe straps on the back. . . Tripp NYC would be selling it now.

The seed beads are just baffling. Baffling. And it looks like she's been collecting them for YEARS. They're in all sorts of containers. Old Avon perfume bottles, spice bottles, *glass* prescription vials, etc.

Some stuff will just make cool design accents when I finally settle in somewhere. There are several vintage, unusual Bell jars of buttons. They look cool.
Moonpieluv
((Polly)) I totally have a bunch of ole' Readymade mags. I love them so!!! I find so much inspiration in them, but am usually at a total lack of funds or know-how or where-to-get on a lot of it. Overall, it's one of my favorite mags other than Bust.
Moonpieluv
Hooray!! my first embroidery kit came in the mail today! I can't wait to get started... I also bought a cheesy latch hook rug from Michael's today, just to see if I would be diligent enough to make a rug period.. cause I want to move on to having my chosen pics imprinted on the latch hook canvas, like on leftsource. com...The possibilities are ENDLESS!! Muwaaahhhahahahaha!

ALso, needlecrafter. com, has great free embroidery patterns for the more vintage lover.

Ima gonna do a mix of old and new on some vintage dresses and lingerie..and I haven't stitched a stitch yet. laugh.gif
ellenevenstar
Aaaahhhhh so excited!!!
Bestie and I are starting a regular easy-Sunday-morning craft gathering, come September. She does awesome glass art, leadlighting and the like. My game is more stitchin' and stuff. No more will my craft be left over at the bottom of my 'to-do' list!!! I SHALL make progress!
Tee Hee.

Lovin' all the links you crafty cats post here. Thanks. E.
ellenevenstar
QUOTE(pepper @ Apr 4 2008, 12:06 AM) *
heya, if you sift through the pics in my flickr account i have a few onsies in there. i embroidered patches and then blanket stitched them on hiding the knots between the patch and the onsie so they weren't exposed and didn't touch the baby. embroidery floss is very soft, it's not an irritant.
the bonus about the patches is that they can be cut off and sewn onto bigger clothes or something else (like a keepsack quilt or jacket or bag or whatever).

Oooooh pepper. You're so clever. I love your stuff.
pepper
thanks! i've been on crafting haitus this summer but i'm starting to get back into it. i've joined a pincushion swap on craftster to get me back into the swing of things. these are really inspiring.

there's a shared patterns thread there with links to tons of free embroidery patterns if anyone is interested. you can find just about every kind of image.
Moonpieluv
Pepper--I've been scouring craftster and didn't somehow get to the shared patterns thread. Thanks! I LOVE LOVE the patterns from Andrea Zuill-Badbirds... TOo cute.

I've been working vigorously on my first piece using Emily Martin's (Black Apple) patterns. I already have a wee bit of dry skin forming on my thumb...and this is from last night! lol! I woke up this morning itchin to start stitchin again. It's wonderful therapy. And could very possibly keep me outta trouble.

Gotta go pick up a fabric marker tonight, as well as some more floss and some smaller needles. SQueeee!
pepper
badbird is wicked cool. i made this for the gnome swap.
got a link to your pattern or your work? the only black apple patterns i know of off hand are the dolls.
Moonpieluv
The Black AppleSee if this works...

And I could go to craftster and well, Hobby Lobby for this answer, but do you know if Hobby Lobby carries the fabric markers needed for tracing? I didn't get a chance to go last night.

Also, where's the best place and the best fabric that can be "stretched" for framed pieces?

Thanks!!!
vixen_within
QUOTE(pepper @ Aug 15 2008, 09:09 AM) *
badbird is wicked cool. i made this for the gnome swap.
got a link to your pattern or your work? the only black apple patterns i know of off hand are the dolls.

Your items are wonderful Pepper. Do you sell your crafts? I saw something I'd like to get my paws on...

Sorry moonpieluv, I know nothing..
ellenevenstar
I don't know either Moonpieluv. I have always muddled along with tailor's chalk to trace patterns but a non-permanent marker would be much easier. Thanks for the Black Apple link - I have used quite a few Sublime Stitching patterns but I hadn't checked the site for AGES and there is so much awesome new stuff there. Gotta pay a lot to get them sent out here to Australia, though huh.gif . And pepper, thanks for referring us to Badbird. Very cool - I can't believe I'd never encountered her blog before.

Have a crafty weekend.
pepper
thanks vixen within! i don't sell anything, i could never charge a decent amount! those things take hours and hours, i'd have to work for like 50 cents on the hour to make them affordable! you never know though, what is it that you liked? i do so enjoy custom work wink.gif and if it's fun i don't care so much about making money. that's why i love crafty swaps so much, i have fun and i get back something fantastic in exchange. really, the spirit of the crafty swapper is astounding, i've been moved to tears by some of my parcels.
i'm doing a pincushion swap on craftster right now to get me back into crafty mode after a delightful summer and a not so delightful moving of the house (eep!). there are a couple of other swaps that have caught my interest there lately too but i have vowed to unpack my studio/closet (yes my clothes are actually hanging up in here too. it's ridiculous!) before i sign up for anything big. it's hard to resist a little red ridinghood swap, i'm using that for motivation. that and the fact that i have only 5 more days to get costumes finished for my son's drama club performance, YIKES!

that black apple stuff is hilarious! i love the little ghost/sperm creature, hee hee hee!
vixen_within
Pepper, I do like the "jingle lion", but I adore this little man http://flickr.com/photos/craftylittlemonkey/2384533137/
he reminds me of toys I had when I was little, also my boyfriend has a thing for gnomes and it's infectious. how did you attach the wooden head to the felt bits? I also like his soft curly beard. What sort of material is it? (oh wait, it must be the wool that you mentioned in the caption.)
pepper
ahh, yes. the felt gnome mr. the wooden bead head is attached to pipe cleaners which form the armature of the figure. i am not very skilled at felting yet, that was my first attempt and i found it a little unsatisfying. not the end result, i was pretty happy about that, just the process. it's very pokey. the needles are so sharp, my fingers said ouch once or twice.
i can't remember how much time he took, i don't think it was excessive. i could probably be prevailed upon to try it again sometime after the summer is through. i think i have some more of that curly wool, it is pretty special isn't it? perfect for a beard!
auralpoison
Uh, derr.
zoya
wow. just... wow.

um...
vixen_within
And the word for the day: subtlety
pepper
i know it's been a while since we had to use the ignore function but it's still there and it's working just fine. i got an eyeful but meh, nothing i haven't seen before and now it's just a blip between legit posts.

i finished a whole slew of costumes and accessories for little's play. i can't wait to see all the kids on stage wearing all the stuff i stitched up for them! i have to work on a mask for pinocchio, i'm using plaster cast material and paper clay that i'll be painting to match his little face. i am SO excited about doing this project, it will be my first casting since we made my belly cast. fingers crossed it works out and i'll be sure to post pics if it does.
zoya
and..... ignore!

I am however, curious (and amused) as to why in the craft thread?

I mean I know crafting is shexy and all, but...
girltrouble

pardon the mess

just cleaning up after a troll attack
pepper
holy gods, what an eyeful! wow. ok, i came in to say that the plaster cast mask came out Excellent! but i didn't take any pictures (d'oh!) because i got shanghaied into line prompting for the forgetful kiddies and couldn't make with the camera. oh well, everything turned out great and the kids were so cute! i ended up doing a bunch of face painting too so i was busy!
now i'm working on a pin cushion for a craft swap. i found some great fabric today at a store that was going out of business so i got some terrific deals INCLUDING fruity scratch and sniff fabric with bananas, oranges and apples that i plan to make skirts out of. ha ha, i know i'll secretly have kids trying to smell my legs when i'm at the school with little, just you wait and see!

oops, is that too sexy for this thread? am i illiciting more icky pics? sorry girls, i didn't mean it like that at all! mellow.gif
vixen_within
Pepper, do felting crafts necessarily have to be quite tiny? Would felting a creature that's say, 7 inches large, work as well as a 3 inch one?
pepper
well i just don't know, that tiny project was my first and only attempt at felting anything. there's a good discussion panel here though, you could ask the masters.
crinoline
I finally made a duct tape dressform (with the help of my baffled boyfriend). With a little tape surgery, the measurements should fit me exactly! I can't wait to begin draping!

I also just made a really cute pair of cheeky panties (no pattern), I ruched the front at each leg and the center of the back. I used stretch cotton from an old pair of leggings, and they fit perfectly! I think I'll make a bralette to match them tomorrow out of the remnants.
Queen Bull
QUOTE(crinoline @ Aug 31 2008, 09:55 PM) *
I finally made a duct tape dressform (with the help of my baffled boyfriend). With a little tape surgery, the measurements should fit me exactly! I can't wait to begin draping!

I also just made a really cute pair of cheeky panties (no pattern), I ruched the front at each leg and the center of the back. I used stretch cotton from an old pair of leggings, and they fit perfectly! I think I'll make a bralette to match them tomorrow out of the remnants.

wow, crinoline, that is SO cool. Im going to have to try it out. thanks for posting the link!
pepper
oh, i so want to do that but can't find a friend to help me with it (we all have small babies!). one day i'll find the time though and maybe then i'll start making clothes for myself again!
starpiste
crinoline, I've seen those before and I'm always so impressed when someone actually makes one.

I just spend about an hour make rings with sterling silver wire and vintage buttons. Super happy with the results.
starpiste
ah, double post!
humanist77
So...I just bought this kit from Subversive Cross Stitch. My bf's grandmother is going through chemo and thought this might be a nice thing to do. She also used to be an avid cross-stitcher and owned her own embroidery/yarn store at one time. I've never done cross stitch before, but it seems fairly easy-I just don't know how long it will take. Looking at this pattern, can anyone give me an idea of how long it might take, if say I worked on it a couple hours a day, give or take? It looks pretty simple-there's not a whole lot of detail on it, but really, I have no idea. thanks!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.