Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: She's Crafty...the Revenge
The BUST Lounge > Forums > Absolutely Fad-ulous
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
pepper
Thanks! I loved him so much, it was hard to hand him over. Surprisingly the kids were ok with that even though they liked him too. I guess that's a testiment to their belief that I can and will make more fabulous stuffies so yay! Bully for me, right? At least the kids have confidence in me when my own fails.
That pattern was in one of those weird old crafting books you find at a thrift store or a yardsale for a dollar. I have piles of them, I can't seem to resist even though they are mostly full of bunk. Keep your eyes peeled though and skim through next time you come across one. The pattern cutting and sewing instructions are usually slim to none so be prepared to get brave. See how well it works out though? And even one cute pattern in a book makes it a good book as far as I am concerned. Patterns are expensive on their own!
I get lots of books from the library too but the best place is my little boy. Check out this beauty we made for a friends B-day. I steal pictures out of the kids story books too, hee hee.
snow white
uh-oh, i think i feel a new hobby coming on! wow, i totally want to make stuff like that. do u use a sewing machine or by hand?
pepper
Lots on the machine, it's faster and better for a toy you have to stuff (way stronger seams) but I also do a lot of hand stitching.

Have you guys seen this? What a beautiful idea. I joined, I make tons of toys for no good reason that I have nothing to do with. I've done swaps (a couple here even) but I prefer giving things away. It feels so good to do that. I gave my aunt this afghan I made the other day (my Gran has passed and she used to make us tons of stuff, we all miss her and her handicrafts of love), she cried. That was it, she and her daughter my mom and I all in tears out on my porch over a blanket. It was great. Giving stuff away rocks, and if it's random I think it's even better!
koffeewitch
In response to the query on learning to sew/knit...

Have you crafters checked out Jennifer's Sewing Links (sokolodesign.com I BELIEVE is the address)??
There are links to everything from sewing for goth grrls to sewing for cool mamas (converting regular bras to nuring bras, making ALL kinds of baby slings, fitted diapers, etc.), not to mention sewing for regular people and newbie sewers...also knitting/crocheting/embroidery links...links to historical costume making, (for corsets, cloaks, peasant blouses, etc.) and the directions/patterns are (drum roll) FREE....seriously, WHO can pay $13.95 for a cheap tissue paper pattern???

Also check out knitty.com, an on-line magazine with totally FREE patterns. Lion yarn company has a wonderful web-site with thousands of free patterns and tutorials.

For books, of course there is the StitchnBitch series by Bust mag. editor/columnist Debbie Stoller. SHe has 3 knitting books and one on crochet.

I taught myself both knitting and crochet from books and I'm so addicted now...seriously, it's one of the coolest skills I've picked up. Now if I want a pair of fishnet stockings (that won't rip/run) or a lacey cashmere & silk shawl (that I could never afford to buy in the store) or just a simple tank top in my perfect shade of olive with a PERFECT fit, I can now make my own.
Don't forget to check out all the great craft books at the public library and check on-line to find your local StitchnBitch group. (For the uninitiated, a SnB is a gathering of crafters with a feminist edge who meet up for coffee, stitching and chatter. If you find a good group, it's lotsa fun)!

Sorry if I've rambled on and ON...I love to see others embracing these arts again...in my opinion, self-sufficiency is ALWAYS a feminist virtue. We can depend on our own skills...not shopping malls and sweat shops! (Okay, off of my soap box now...)
deschatsrouge
QUOTE(pepper @ Sep 7 2009, 07:44 PM) *
Have you guys seen this? What a beautiful idea.

The drops in Idaho Falls are REALLY near where i live...I wish I had been there that day.
pepper
QUOTE(koffeewitch @ Sep 10 2009, 01:30 PM) *
In response to the query on learning to sew/knit...
...I love to see others embracing these arts again...in my opinion, self-sufficiency is ALWAYS a feminist virtue. We can depend on our own skills...not shopping malls and sweat shops! (Okay, off of my soap box now...)

WORD sister! I feel that way about all the traditionally feminine things, any house keeping thing, cooking, gardening, stitching, etc. I can survive anywhere with those skills. Money only gets you so far in life, you gots to know how to do for yourself!

And deschatsrouge? Alls you have to do is figure out what you want to make for me and I'm up for a crafty swap. My specialty is monster mashup up but I can do adorably cute too. smile.gif

koffeewitch
Wow, that Toy Society link IS really sweet. I love the idea on so many levels...and can you imagine having one of thoses really wretched shithole days where all you wanted to do is go home and cry over a pint of Ben and Jerry's...and then finding one of those cute "take me home, I'm yours" monsters. What a cool way to brighten up someone's day.

BTW, does anyone have a favorite sewing book to recommend? I feel like there are zillions of wonderful, creative, inspiring knit and crochet books out there, but the sewing books are less than thrilling. (I have sort of a craft book fetish, I guess). The few sewing books I do really love are all decades old, imports and/or out of print. sad.gif

Does anyone else also have my phobia about fabric...you know, you finally find this great fabric and you buy it and get it home, then you're afraid to cut into it for fear of screwing up or realizing an even better use for it after you'[ve already cut it up?? This especially strikes when the fabric is from a discontinued line and I know I can never buy more of it...Any suggestions for such a phobia?? (I feel really silly asking this..)
deschatsrouge
QUOTE(pepper @ Sep 12 2009, 02:37 AM) *
And deschatsrouge? Alls you have to do is figure out what you want to make for me and I'm up for a crafty swap. My specialty is monster mashup up but I can do adorably cute too. smile.gif

I make masks sometimes. I could post a pic of my latest if you are interested.
pepper
Wicked, do it! I absolutely love masks. I want to make some with the kids this year...
koffeewitch
Pepper- I just realized you are "craftylittlemonkey"...I've seen your work before (the stuffies); they are really fantastic/inspiring. I'm so jealous of your owls; you really do gorgeous work! The name "craftylittlemonkey" is so memorable, but I can't remember where I first saw it. Did you have some of your stuffies in one of the plushie books that came out on the market a few years ago (like Plush-o-Rama)?
pepper
Hee hee, that's great that I've attained a little stuffy notariety, I love that! I used to be monkeythumb on craftster but I changed my name as I've been going by craftylittlemonkey for a while. I'm that on wist, flickr, craftster, etc. Nothing published yet though it seems like it would be fun. I think they only really publish people who are prolific creators of a specialty, you know? I am too random and all over the place and sometimes I won't make anything for ages and ages. We're moving (again, sigh) so the studio is getting packed up and then has to find it's flow in a new space so... it may be a while before I'm back at it. We'll see, I've got about 8 dozen drawings by my kid that need to be made into stuffies so badly. I'm itching to start on them, hopefully it won't be too long!

Oh, and I have tons of fabric that I'm terrified to cut up. It's sad really, all it ends up doing is living on a shelf until I pass it along to somebody braver than me. Boo.
deschatsrouge
...pics coming soon...
koffeewitch
QUOTE(pepper @ Sep 14 2009, 03:25 PM) *
Hee hee, that's great that I've attained a little stuffy notariety, I love that!

You def. have notoriety, sister...I think you're not far from craft celeb status. I seriously can't even tell you how many times I've either come upon your work browsing or been linked to it by other crafters. Lately, I've had links lead me to your flickr page. I haven't been through the whole thing yet, but have been through the first dozen pages or so. My six year old son is also a big fan. I showed him the fly costume you made - he is always unhappy that wings are made for little girls and he keeps wanting me to make him "boy wings". I'm trying to decide on a good theme for him; bat wings, dragon wings, etc.

And Deschatsrouge: I'll move the bellydancing conversation over here. Got your last post. We have a great bellydance school here (Habeeba's). One of my major goals is to take some more classes. Unless my partner suddenly sprouts lactating breasts, I'm gonna have to wait a little while. There's an annual festival I dance at, but that's really about it. Do you make some/all of your costumes?
deschatsrouge
Pepper,
As promised here is the mask I'm thinking of swapping for a plushie

Back view

Front view

side view

view at an angle

I never put strings or a stick on it so, you could decide which you want. It's made of paper mache and painted with acrylics and decorated gold and red glitter. Around the eyes it has sequins.
pepper
That is awesomely cool, just begging for an excuse to be worn out in public!

I can't get over crafters linking me to eachother, that's so encouraging! I love that.
That fly costume was seriously cool, took so darn many hours but he looked Amazing! I looked at pics of real fly wings for inspiration.
The rest of his class were super heros, all store bought. He was the Only kooky character in the bunch.
I love making costumes best of all.
koffeewitch
Deschatsrouge: You have me thinking about masks and mask makers...it's such an ancient, primal, universal craft associated with magic and ritual. Did anything in particular inspire you to become a mask maker?

And Pepper: I assume from your flickr yummies that you are vegan?? My older son is obsessed with telling everybody that we are veg. and asking me who IS and is NOT a vegetarian. I guess he's trying to figure out where our family fits into the scheme of things. Anyway, when I was showing him some of your photos one time, I told him, and YES, I think she probably IS a vegetarian. i suppose now he will think ALL crafty mommies are vegan or something...
koffeewitch
Hey to all the TOTORO/Studio Ghibli fans out there! I'm looking for some patterns and tutorials for an all-out Studio Ghibli X-mas/Solstice this year.

Please share any recent ghibli crafting adventures or ratings of any amigurumi Totoro patterns you've tried. I'm especially interested in which yarns worked well (or didn't work at all) for your Totoros.

To those crafters with husbands/boyfriends: any craft suggestions that appeal to guys you'd like to recommend?
deschatsrouge
QUOTE(koffeewitch @ Sep 16 2009, 01:04 PM) *
Deschatsrouge: You have me thinking about masks and mask makers...it's such an ancient, primal, universal craft associated with magic and ritual. Did anything in particular inspire you to become a mask maker?

I like masks for a couple of reasons. first the Jungian idea of the different masks we wear in our daily lives. why not make a literal mask that reflects some of what you are? That mask I made in the pic represents the ability for darkness and even evil we all have inside of us. Being able to choose good or evil to me is what makes us human.

Also I am a fan of the Harry Hay, Mattachine Society idea. Of Fags as a third gender. Mattachine literally means mask, the mask we Fags wear to stay in the closet.

Pepper, pm me your info so we can swap. I'd like a cute monster to add to my collection of plush monsters.
pepper
Hee, funny veg story! We eat veg and very often vegan, I do a lot of un-cooking too which is sometimes delicious and if not at least it's an adventure!

No idea what this totoro thing is, will look up.

Deschatsrouge, also no idea what you are talking about but sounds facinating! Will look up as well. Please post, link or send me pics of your current collection and/or a couple of creatures, colours, concepts that you like if you want a monster mash-up. I promise nothing specific as I go with the inspiration that hits me but your suggestions will be a guideline to get me started.
One thing, we are mid-pack/move so this project will take a while and by a while I mean maybe 2 months. Hope that's ok and also hope it will be worth the wait! Wish I could start crafting right away but the empty boxes beckon and I must obey....
koffeewitch
QUOTE(pepper @ Sep 16 2009, 04:44 PM) *
No idea what this totoro thing is, will look up.

Since you've mentioned having kids I have to turn you on to Studio Ghibli...but childless grown-up kids love it, too.
There is a brilliant Japanese animator named Hayao Miyazaki...he would be the Japanese Walt Disney, if W.D. was about 100 times cooler. "Studio Ghibli" is the company that produces his films, subtitles them and releases them to the U.S. Miyazaki's done a lot of work; I particularly love "Howl's Moving Castle" and "Spirited Away". "My Neighbor Totoro" is a huge hit with Miyazaki fans, too. If you live in any decent size city you can probably find them (and his other great works) at the library if you do a "Miyazaki" search.

Once you've seen his films, you'll recognize his creatures everywhere, on Craftster, as other crafter's avatars, etc. His protagonists are often spunky, tomboyish young girls...definitely NOT sexist, super cutesy girly anime!
koffeewitch
Deschats: The power of masks is almost a little frightening. I defy anyone to put a mask over their face and not feel and behave a bit differently. And rather the change in a mask wearer's behavior is closer to their True self or is brought on by the power in the mask is always a bit of a mystery.

Please tell me a bit about the Mattachine Society...I've read theories of three (or five) genders, and certainly how we all use various masks for social and psychological survival, but Mattachine doesn't ring a bell for me, at all...
deschatsrouge
QUOTE(pepper @ Sep 16 2009, 08:44 PM) *
Please post, link or send me pics of your current collection and/or a couple of creatures, colours, concepts that you like if you want a monster mash-up. I promise nothing specific as I go with the inspiration that hits me but your suggestions will be a guideline to get me started.
One thing, we are mid-pack/move so this project will take a while and by a while I mean maybe 2 months. Hope that's ok and also hope it will be worth the wait! Wish I could start crafting right away but the empty boxes beckon and I must obey....

I can wait, it'll give me somthing to look forward to. I loooove handmade so all my monsters are from etsy. Here is a pic of some of my stuffies. I like uber cute, so an uber cute monster mashup surprise sounds awesome.

QUOTE(koffeewitch @ Sep 17 2009, 12:28 PM) *
Please tell me a bit about the Mattachine Society...I've read theories of three (or five) genders, and certainly how we all use various masks for social and psychological survival, but Mattachine doesn't ring a bell for me, at all...

Here is Harry Hay's official website. He was a pre stonewall Gay political activist. He provided a political front for Gays during the McCarthy era and pushed the equality agenda along with the Daughters of Bilitis. Wikipedia has a good explanation for the name.
crinoline
koffeewitch- I love Miyazaki, and my oldest brother is really into Studio Ghibli, so I've made both Totoros for his Xmas gifts two years in a row. Here's the patterns I used for Blue Totoro and White Totoro . The little white one is my favortie, I think it's the little pink feets.
I used plain old red heart for the blue and a nylon cotton blend (sporting wieght) for the white. Both worked just fine.

As to crocheting for boys, boy do I have that issue. Between my three brothers, boyfriend, friends, and other male relatives, I've had to face that challenge alot when doing an all crochet Xmas.
I have done a "Sgt. Hammy" for a friend in the army, it was a brown hamster with a camouflage beret and bandoleer. Ipod covers are well received if appropriately masculine (monkeys, monsters, etc.) In fact, freeform monsters are generally appreciated too. I'm currently working on a hat in the shape of a ba-bomb from the Mario series.
This isn't crochet, but I made an "octo-hoody" for my baby brother by splitting a hoodie six times and sewing tubes for fake "arms" so with the sleeves there are eight total. I used the pocket to make stuffed angry eyes on top of the hood. He loves it and reportedly wears it to class at his boarding school.

Crafty ladies, i have a query. My Aunt starts chemo soon and I've made a few (ok, 7 or 8) hats for her. My problem has been finding yarns that are soft enough and patterns that are snug yet flattering (and will distract from the lack of hair). I'm trying to avoid that "chemo-cap" look.
I love bamboo yarn and pure baby alpaca, does anyone have any recs for yarn or patterns?
koffeewitch
Crinoline: THANK YOU for the Totoro links; I can't tell you how thrilled I am to get them!!

I wish I could suggest a good yarn for you...maybe if you try sewing a super-soft lining into your hats that would snug them up a bit? This may not fit your aunt's personality type, but some of the knitted wigs are really cool. They definitely are for the edgier personalitites or those who are very young and/or very young at heart. If your aunt is at all conservative in her dress style, they definitely would not be her thing.

I would think that any of the baby yarns would be a good choice or maybe a knitted/crocheted bandana/head scarf that ties underneath her head to help it stay on. Good Luck and thanks again to linking me to Totoro!
pepper
Wow, guys, blowing my mind from all directions here! Am reading and reading and reading... so interesting.

I do recognize that funny anime rabbity creature, I never knew what that was all about.
It's not really my style to make but I did see that Ponyo movie advertised at the theater the other day
and thought it looked cute, just watched the adverts and we'll definately have to check it out avec kids.
My little man is still so innocently appreciative of fun things, he asked me the other day if the
Littlest Petshop was really a toy for girls and couldn't he still collect some of the adorable kitties
and puppies with the bobble heads and their little house? Aww, I just love that. We are working
on him not basing what he likes on what other people think is cool or ok. It's a hard thing to have
the courage to stand alone on stuff like that but if I help him develop his sense of self now it might
stick with him forever, ye know?

Deschatsrouge, your stuffies are so cute. I think I have a vibe for what you might like.
Would you take a look at my things and let me know what you like best? Still give me
a couple of creature suggestions and colours too if you feel like it.

Hey guys, boy stuff... I print freezer paper stencils on t-shirts, you can make the best most amazing
One of a kind designs. If you look at my flickr stuff there are some there and I think a link to a tutorial.
If you google freezer paper tutorial though you'll find a bunch of them, it's dead easy I swear it.

Gotta run, just want to say that this is my favourite thread on the board by far right now,
I don't think it's ever been so active!
deschatsrouge
QUOTE(pepper @ Sep 17 2009, 08:27 PM) *
Deschatsrouge, your stuffies are so cute. I think I have a vibe for what you might like.
Would you take a look at my things and let me know what you like best? Still give me
a couple of creature suggestions and colours too if you feel like it

I like bright colors, especially jewel tone. That does not rule out pastels though. I have a monster named Nars, he is made of this pastel woven upholstery fabric. I like interesting textures too, I have petunia who is made of fun fur. I see there monsters as art. I like visually interesting ones. After all, I do display them as art. I have found I don't care for monsters with a ton of eyes. I like one-eyed or two eyed creatures.
koffeewitch
On Ponyo: Did get to check that out...it's very cute (and a little strange as Miyazaki often is). What I loved : it has a strong environmentalist message without being pedantic and beating you in the face with lofty platitudes. Also has a mom who breastfeeds her baby (first time I've EVER seen this in a kids show...doesn't show her nursing, but you definitely get the idea). It also has a sweet little boy protagonist this time (as I mentioned Miyazaki really loves his tomboyish girls who have to overcome their own limitations to transcend their environment).

My little boy loves "girl" toys too (and GODDAMN our toystores for their freakin' pink barbie smut vs. super macho robo-military toy mentality). Whatever happened to slinkies and bubble blowing and light brites? I've tried so hard to protect my kids from the stupid gender indoctrination in the toy stores but unless you never expose them to any media, billboards or other kids it's kind of a losing battle...why more parents aren't irked all to hell by this, I have no idea.

I'm kinda surprised to hear the Bust craft forum hasn't been more active in the past...Debbie Stoller (Bust zine editor) was super influential in my journey with the fiber arts. And Bust has always been DIY friendly...even when lots of feminists were in the closet about their "old lady" needlework hobbies.
auralpoison
I'm glad to see this thread getting so much play lately. I am deeply envious of the crafty Busties as I cannot make anything.
pepper
Bet you can so make something. I think people get intimidated by other people's skill and artistry, I know I sure do! It's difficult to see my little doodles and snippets of felt and beads and such as being anything much more than kinda fun and entertaining to cobble together next to some of the things I've seen people creating out there but... then people tell me they've come across my stuff and remember it and actually Like it!
My mom has this great saying about if you can walk you can dance, if you can talk you can sing and she's added a line about being able to draw a line means you are an artist. You know what? I totally believe that. You ever see some people's doodles next to the phone? Or the way they do their makeup or style their hair or arrange their furniture or put food onto a plate. We've all got some creative juice in there somewhere itching to get out. I really think that's the truth.

Koffeewitch let me tell you, I avoid regular stores like Crazy! Not only do I think that cheap plastic crap they flog is useless landfill on a shelf most of the time, it costs SO freaking much! I can't stand that ridiculous pink or grisly nonsense they set up either. Makes me steaming mad. We find most of the kids games, books, toys, niknaks etc at the thrift store or yard sales. These kids are seriously spoiled rotten with amazing treasures that didn't break the bank and that they like just because they seemed cool to them amidst the jumble of random goodies. No tv helps cut down on the begging to have the latest piece of garbage toy too, I'm really loving the no tv action.

Ok Deschatsrouge, I think I've got your little misfit figured out. I have to make something for another friend too and the monsters I found in my files that seemed to want to be yours are just the thing I didn't know I wanted to make for her too. No two of my little creatures are ever the same but I think they will be sisters of sorts. I'm figuring it out... while I'm packing up the studio I'll set aside supplies I come across that I'll need so I can get started sooner.
Do you like them very basic or is it ok if it gets sort of busy with detail? I see that your 3 are each unique but all fairly simple, I tend to start out that way but they run away with themselves before I'm through...
pepper
Check out this craft! Oh, you know I am making one of these for every girl on my xmas list this year, woot! I've seen them before but not with instructions, this is fabulous!
Well, ok, not for every girl on my list. Not so sure my Aunt would like one of these very much... I would though, boy would I ever! What a statement at the grocery store, heh.
koffeewitch
QUOTE(pepper @ Sep 20 2009, 09:31 PM) *
Check out this craft! Oh, you know I am making one of these for every girl on my xmas list this year, woot! I've seen them before but not with instructions, this is fabulous!
Well, ok, not for every girl on my list. Not so sure my Aunt would like one of these very much... I would though, boy would I ever! What a statement at the grocery store, heh.

Hey, have you seen my scissors...oh, wait, let me check in my vagina! I think I must make a vagina notions bag. Thanks for sending the tutorial; I love it. I've seen a few crocheted and felt vulvas around the craft shows but I think that is the first vagina bag I've seen.

You are so right on about those cheap, plastic insipid toys meant for landfills. There are a few indie toy stores around with wonderful, creative, durable toys, but man are they expensive. I also get much of our toys (and books) from the thrift stores. (Not to mention 85% of our clothes). Speaking of thrift stores, I saw a great corporate logo makeover I want to shamelessly copy...Have you seen the "Aberzombie" shirts people have made? I've been looking for just the right Abercrombie Fitch to manipulate... I wish I had been stricter about TV...I only let my kids watch PBS shows, but even PBS now runs McDonalds commercials! dry.gif
koffeewitch
Pepper, it happened again! I was checking out craft blogs just jumping from link to link and sure enough I ended up linked to something on your flickr page...I think it was from a blog called "I'm Counting" (which I found on the Crafty Chica site). You really are SO talented. I love looking at your stuff whenever I need a little inspiration for a new project.

BTW, that cute gnome/mushroom piece you made as a dishwasher sign... where did you get the design?
pepper
Omg you don't know about Bad Bird? Free embroidery designs regularly and they are Wonderful! That disgruntled gnome has gotten a lot of play, it's freaking hillarious and I love it.

I found the I'm counting blog, what did she link too? How thrilling that someone linked something to me! That and your compliment are totally making me blush. What a great way to start my day, appreciated for my craftiness by more than just my children. Squee.
deschatsrouge
QUOTE(pepper @ Sep 19 2009, 12:28 AM) *
Do you like them very basic or is it ok if it gets sort of busy with detail? I see that your 3 are each unique but all fairly simple, I tend to start out that way but they run away with themselves before I'm through...

I'm open to very decorated things.

QUOTE(koffeewitch @ Sep 21 2009, 11:04 AM) *
Hey, have you seen my scissors...oh, wait, let me check in my vagina! I think I must make a vagina notions bag. Thanks for sending the tutorial; I love it. I've seen a few crocheted and felt vulvas around the craft shows but I think that is the first vagina bag I've seen.

I would like a purse like that. I think it would be cute if it had hello kitty on it.
koffeewitch
QUOTE(pepper @ Sep 21 2009, 09:28 AM) *
Omg you don't know about Bad Bird? Free embroidery designs regularly and they are Wonderful! That disgruntled gnome has gotten a lot of play, it's freaking hillarious and I love it.

I found the I'm counting blog, what did she link too? How thrilling that someone linked something to me! That and your compliment are totally making me blush. What a great way to start my day, appreciated for my craftiness by more than just my children. Squee.

I'm pretty sure it was I'm Counting, when I'm hot link jumping I often forget who sent me where... anyway it was a link to the Doggie with the messenger bag right at the top of your site...

Bad Bird rocks...I've seen the name around, but if I had any idea how freakin' cool her stuff is, I would have jumped on a long time ago. When I'm googling for free patterns I'm usually looking for knit/crochet stuff, so I guess I miss all the other fantastic patterns on line. Thank you for sending that... my head is literally swimming with stuff to make.

On the freezer paper stencils...I've seen some great tutorials on this technique, but haven't tried it yet. I love the super professional-looking results I see some people getting with the technique. I'm amazed by the some of the very complicated looking designs I've seen people pull off (with tiny little details and multiple colors).
koffeewitch
QUOTE(deschatsrouge @ Sep 21 2009, 03:17 PM) *
I would like a purse like that. I think it would be cute if it had hello kitty on it.

I love it. A Hello Kitty Vagina Coin Purse. I think you've hit on the perfect idea. laugh.gif
pepper
Would you make the purse of hello kitty with her vag? My imagination is on overload with that one...

I can't find the link but that's ok, I'm pretty thrilled just to know it's out there. That dog was fun to make, it's been a while since I did something in plush. Ok, to be honest it's been a while since I did anything crafty, it's a disaster area around here right now tongue.gif. But soon, a bigger studio in our new house Soon! And then I'm gonna craft like mad in time for xmas. While unpacking and homeschooling. Right. Sigh.

Bad Bird is really incredible, her embroidery is simply stunning and those designs, whoo! The kooky factor is sometimes off the chart! I love that there's a free pattern every month, that's just so incredibly generous and inspiring.

I liked how this frog freezer paper stencil turned out, it's the best one I've done so far and it was ridiculously easy. Just trace, exacto knife cut, iron, sponge, peel it off and there you go. I'm going to try a multilayer one next with at least three colours. After we do some tie dieing though, the kid has been bugging me to try that.
koffeewitch
Pepper, did you see Bad Bird's link to your page? When I checked out her disgruntled gnome, she had a photo of your dishwasher sign project and a hot link to your site. I could be wrong about the link coming from "I'm Counting", like I said I sometimes jump around so much I lose track of where I've been, especially when I end up going in circles with dif. blogs linking me to dif. spots on the same site...

I am a homeschool mama, too... I'm so glad I took the plunge to just do it; I was pretty nervous at first as much as I've always wanted to homeschool...but it's much easier than I expected.

I found a great craft for kids (and childish grown-ups) in a book the other day; I wish I could show it to you guys. Anyway, it's a big furry monster with a child sized clothes hanger sewn in the top so it can hang on a closet door knob. The monster is sewn with it's mouth open and you drop laundry (or toys/whatever) into it's mouth where they fall into the monster's belly. Who wouldn't love a monster laundry bag?
snow white
so for x-mas i'm making everyone embroiderd days of the week kitchen or tea towels and i was wondering where i could get towels for the best price and what the best matiral is for kitchen towels. if i can't any cheap enough i'm going to get some matiral and make them myself. i'm torn between cotton, linen (which i'm afraid won't be heavy enough), and floursack. (excuse my spelling :/ )
koffeewitch
QUOTE(snow white @ Sep 24 2009, 01:22 PM) *
so for x-mas i'm making everyone embroiderd days of the week kitchen or tea towels and i was wondering where i could get towels for the best price and what the best matiral is for kitchen towels. if i can't any cheap enough i'm going to get some matiral and make them myself. i'm torn between cotton, linen (which i'm afraid won't be heavy enough), and floursack. (excuse my spelling :/ )

I think floursack towels are really charming and have a vintage 30s era flair to them. If you want your towels to be servicable rather than just decorative, I think you are right to go with cotton or even thin terry cloth. I know people associate terry cloth with bathroom towels, but with the right trim, I think they are great in the kitchen. Oh, and there is always bamboo fabric now...bamboo is naturally anti-microbial (great for kitchens) and the newer bamboo fabrics on the market are super soft . A bamboo/cotton blend would be really cool , but probably on the costlier side...

Most fabric stores (like Jo ann's) sell plain towels for embroidery, but I don't know that they are necessarily cheap. Maybe just try to find plain colored towels in the usual discount stores if you decide against sewing your own? Anyway, good luck with your project...I hope you let us know how it turns out.
pepper
Crap, moving date pushed up 2 weeks. Frantic packing of exceedingly messy studio ensues (actually, I am paralyzed with panic at the moment). Wish me luck! See you later with (hopefully) some new crafts underway...
Post pictures of your stuff so I can admire please smile.gif
koffeewitch
I feel so bad for you, pepper...I hate moving, fucking packing and moving boxes and losing/breaking shit, etc. Atleast soon you'll have the somewhat more exciting task of organizing the new place. May the Goddess and Patron Saint of Harmonious Moving Days be with you... (and if not, a nice bottle of pinot grigio at the end of day sure helps)...
pepper
Can you come over and help me sort all this crafting stuff out? Pretty pretty please with zippers and thread on top? I'll pay you!

Argh, this is madness. Movers coming tomorrow to deal with as much as we can get done before my babysitter burns out. I'm freaking,nearly paralized with frustration and starting to just toss stuff into boxes at this point.
My gf says I'm doing at least as well as she and her hub did on their last move though so maybe it isn't as terrible as I think it is...

No way, it's terrible, it IS!
treehugger
QUOTE(pepper @ Sep 20 2009, 08:31 PM) *

Oh, SQUEEE! Finally a reason to learn how to sew~ I really want to make one or three of these!!
koffeewitch
I would just about rather do anything at all than move; I so feel your pain. Unfortunately we will also be moving in the not too distant future.
Anybody with hobbies, pets, kids, books, etc. hates to move. It's those people who live in spartan houses that are always immaculate who are good at handling moving. Well, and Martha Stewart. SHE has fabric and trim and yarn in her house, but I'm sure she handles it just perfectly. Think she'll write a book and teach the rest of us how? Of course, I'm sure my household otrganizational skills would never be up to par enough to follow her instructions.
You're on the right track. I also start to move in an orderly fashion...and then I just start throwing shit haphazardly in boxes. Don't feel bad; this is the way most of us survive moving. Along with the Pinot Griggio.
koffeewitch
QUOTE(treehugger @ Sep 29 2009, 08:40 PM) *
Oh, SQUEEE! Finally a reason to learn how to sew~ I really want to make one or three of these!!

That's the sort of thing that first lured me, too. And girl, if you can master HVAC I know you can damn well sew!
pepper
almost unpacked, just the tools to sort out, some seasonal stuff and the studio. more working space in there but less storage so stacks of fabric under every table. it's an absolute mess in there. have to use some stuff up, will post pics soonerish. no internet at home though so poop but oh well, less computer time = more time for crafting, right? yay!
treehugger
Okay-I tried to make one of those coin purses, but the assembly is confounding me. There aren't enough pictures showing exactly how it's all layered...if anybody more familiar with this stuff makes one, I'd appreciate a little insight. ??? Or maybe I should start with something easier.
pepper
could you post pics of your progress so we can take a look and offer suggestions?

you know what i do when i'm working with sketchy pattern instructions though? i just cheat. stick it all together however it will go and make sure to anchor it with adequate thread so it doesn't come apart. you may end up with a tangle of thread inside but it won't show and who cares if it's "right" so long as it works!

i'll get set up in here eventually and give it a go, will take pics as i do it so i can post them up for y'all.

anybody making halloweenie stuff? we've been decorating the porch and front windows and i'm loving it.
snow white
wow, i just learned how to knit! i haven't made anything besides, like a pot holder (and then unraveled it so i could do it all over again, weird), but as long as i get the hang of scarves that will be cool b/c that's what i plan doing for alot of x-mas presants. tonight i'm gonna watch "zack and miri make a porno" just b/c miri is totally knit obbsessed (they show a shot of her room and it's got balls of yarn and needles all over, plus she's always wearing all this knitted stuff, i don't know if anyone relized that while watching, i love that movie!) i'm so proud of myself smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.