Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: "I DID IT!!" Celebrating our Accomplishments
The BUST Lounge > Forums > As the World Turns
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12
stargazer
congrats olivarria! good news considering the tough year you've had.
Persiflager
I've given up using foundation and powder - I only ever wore them to work because I felt self-conscious about my skin, but I actually can't tell the difference now and feel fine without them.
anna k
That's wonderful olivarria! I'm so proud of you!
stargazer
I think I finished a tough part of my dissertation today! I'm almost done. This feeling is SO weird. I thought I would never get here.
kittenb
YAY STARGAZER!

Straight A's in my first semester of grad school, thank you very much. biggrin.gif
pollystyrene
Woohoo kitten and star!!

Yay olivarria!! Such progress!

I put on my big girl panties this week- LeBoy and I had a friend from high school who we'd grown apart from over the years, mainly because the friend was kind of an asshole. Very negative and one of those people who, whenever we'd see him for the first time in a few months, would endlessly give us grief about how long it had been. It's like, you didn't call us either. It was a real drag, and then it escalated into him blaming me for LeBoy not hanging out with him anymore. We saw him at another friend's wedding back in October for the first time in over a year, and it seemed like things were better with him, but I wasn't about to run out and be friends again. A few days ago, he joined Facebook and he sent me a friend request. At first, I clicked "Ignore", but the next day I had some regrets, so I sent him a message and said, "So, am I not Yoko Ono anymore or are you just trying to build up your friends list?" He replied back and said, "no, you were never Yoko; it was the situation, not you. I want to friends with LeBoy and you again" blah blah blah. I figured that was the closest I was going to get to an apology and so I sent him back a new friend request. So, we'll give him another chance.
missladyj
nice work smart ass busties !!!
tommynomad
Yay BUSTies!

Stargazer, you inspire me to get through my own PhD hell.

I've been asked to speak at a national TESOL conference.
stargazer
Thanks tommy! smile.gif

Congrats on the offer to speak at TESOL! That is a huge compliment for you.

Congrats to kittenb and polly too!
tommynomad
For posterity, lest I be accused of padding my resume: it's not TESOL. It's the national conference in another country.

Though I am a member of TESOL, and am loving their 2009EVO online seminar series, which started today with a roaring discussion!
tommynomad
For posterity, lest I be accused of padding my resume: it's not TESOL. It's the national conference in another country.

Though I am a member of TESOL, and am loving their 2009EVO online seminar series, which started today with a roaring discussion!
tommynomad
Sorry about these, I kept getting a "content error" and assumed the posts weren't going through.

Anyone know how to delete posts?
stargazer
what's that i see?? oh, i'm almost done. outline for discussion done. theoretical constructs completed. now, i just gotta write the dissertation. should be done by the end of january. yippee!
flanker_ji
I managed to get out and do something physically active every day of this long weekend! If I've ever done that before, 3 days in a row, it's been so long I can't even remember it. I'm also tackling my clutter-making tendencies effectively. So I'm feeling great about kicking a little ass in life.

YAY everyone else! If you don't mind star, I'm going to pass on some of your disertation mojo to my best friend. She needs it!
nakedmolerat
congrats to everyone!!!

i have 100% breastfed my baby and he is 3 1/2 months old. i know it's supposed to come naturally, but we struggled in the beginning and i'm proud to have made it this far- and he is thriving- he's a 16 pound tank baby!! all on my boob!! yea!!
Christine Nectarine
congrats nakedmolerat! that's awesome! i've been there, and i know it's not easy to do - physically challenging, and in a society that isn't always supportive sad.gif
zoya
I've written 3000 words of.... I'm not sure what it's going to be. At first I thought it would be a short story, but now it seems it will be longer. It's kind of writing itself. I just need to come up with some sort of story structure / plot now - but I'm thinking if I keep writing, it will kind of find itself.

I also FINALLY did my first interview for a non-fiction book I have been wanting to write a proposal for for a couple years now. I need to do a few more interviews with people before I will be able to write a sample chapter, but I'm determined to do it.

and I bought an accordion. Just for the fuck of it.

now i just need to start working on the motorcycle license and I'm beginning to make a reality of just about all my resolutions....
konphusion26
After a year and some months of searching, applying, crying, interviews and rejection - I got the call this morning that I GOT THE JOB!!!! Full benefits, paid training, bonuses, performance incentives, and a pretty good salary for someone with no degree (hey it's more than my previous salary!). I am so excited!

WOWZA - keep your fingers crossed for me ladies! I'll need it. lol
freckleface7
YAH Konphu! I'm so glad that things are working out for you ! you're going to Rock at that new job!

Zoya- 3000 words?! + the accordian? (which I think is too fantastically cool) you are so amazing!

I painted my very First actual painting tonight.
it's an abstract, so it's not like you can tell if it's "supposed to be something or not" but frecklette thinks it's pretty & I rather like it and that's enough for me.
stargazer
Way to go busties!

**throws confetti in the air**
bunnyb
QUOTE(zoya @ Jan 23 2009, 02:04 PM) *
I've written 3000 words of.... I'm not sure what it's going to be. At first I thought it would be a short story, but now it seems it will be longer. It's kind of writing itself. I just need to come up with some sort of story structure / plot now - but I'm thinking if I keep writing, it will kind of find itself.

In turn, zoya inspired me to start writing something. I've had something on the back-burner for quite a while but I've been stuck (it's an idea that I know will flourish some day but it's going to take a lot of background reading, braincells and time) so I started something entirely different. I don't know where it's going but it's new and exciting and it feels good just to be writing again. I'm enjoying finding inspiration and ideas in the most unlikely of places and have already started to casually interview some subjects who will help me add to my material.
anarch
We moved out of my mother in law's house on Monday, and into our own place! I survived! Hallelujah!

(Survived with some scars, mental and physical, but I'll be posting about that in Committed in a week or two I hope.)

(Funny, I never came to this thread before. I think I felt like reading about other Busties' achievements would make me feel bad about not having finished my thesis in the...3? 4? years since I started hanging out here. Of course now that I've ventured in here I realize that's not the case and I've just been missing out on all the positivity in here.

On that note...Yay Stargazer!)
crazyoldcatlady
got kudos on my presentation today! yay!
ululah
I stopped telling myself that I was going to do volunteer work, and actually starting doing it. I'm now working with an environmental organization several hours a week. I'm glad I managed to quit being so stingy with my free time!
flanker_ji
BIG vegetable servings 2 meals in a row, plus fruit in the morning!! I seriously can't remember the last time that happened (I usually do fruit, and can maybe get one veggie serving in a day)...
Christine Nectarine
mmm, veggies! sounds good flanker, keep em coming!

i FINALLY reorganized the file cabinet/pile of paper that has been accumulating for months.
ketto
Hooray for being less lazy and going out with friends 3 times last week. Hooray for working out regularly and starting to see my running stamina improving. Hooray for being less anxious in a relationship.

I'm still committed to running the half marathon in June. I've started telling people out loud because I'm hoping it will make me commit more seriously.

I'm also trying to take better control of my type 1 diabetes. Usually this is a non-issue but the last 5-6 weeks my bloodsugar is all over the place. I have an appointment with my endo in two weeks so I hope my A1C is good (for anyone who speaks diabetes speak).
deschatsrouge
I put that giant pile of papers that was on my office floor into a recycling box and cleaned off my desk. Mrs. Rouge said "OMG! I can see the floor!"

Instead of holding in my mania and frustration I communicated with Mrs. Rouge.

I glossed my poem into American sign Language.
stargazer
While I'm not finished with my dissertation, I finished Chapter 3 today. I was reviewing this chapter and I thought, "It looks kickass!" This amount of productivity helps to motivate me to finish Chapter 4 on Sunday. Go me!
stargazer
Results section finished! I just have 1 more chapter left before I submit it to my chair.
missladyj
congrats Star!!
foryoursplendor
lost 5 lbs! smile.gif
solaria
I have my first doula client. smile.gif
anarch
Congrats, solaria! I really admire your profession.

Yay Star! I'm picturing you moving chunks of text and ideas around like building blocks, foundation, frame and all the stuff that clothes them, as your edifice comes into being...
lananans
Congrats everyone!

I got into Journalism school! MA Journalism here I come!
stargazer
Congrats lananans!
pollystyrene
Solaria, I've always wondered- would be impossible for someone who hasn't had kids to become a doula? I've always been fascinated by pregnancy and childbirth (it's that whole raising them afterwards that I don't like!) and thought it would be cool to be a doula, but I always got the impression that you'd be more successful if it was something you'd gone through yourself.
humanist77
polly, my pre-natal massage teacher had only an adopted son, never given birth, and she's been a doula for over 15 years. I think it does make a difference, but the most important thing is your education/knowledge about the job, and over time just plain experience.
solaria
pollystrene, although some people do want their doula to have gone through the process of having a baby themselves, it is definitely not a requirement. I don't have kids (yet) either! because women can labor very differently, sometimes personal experience is not even applicable, like if the doula's labors were all short and easy, but the client has a long difficult one. The process of going through a doula training equips you with the information and skills to support pregnant and laboring women, that work regardless of whether you have gone through it too. Having no kids can even be a plus, as you don't have to worry about finding childcare when you are on call 24/7 at the end of a client's pregnancy.
stargazer
Dissertation is done and emailed to my chair. Insert the dancing now!
sybarite
Awesome, SG!! Well done!
Persiflager
Woooooo! Well done stargazer!

What are your plans for celebrating?
stargazer
Persiflager, um, i don't have a freakin' clue. blink.gif

Syb, I pass on the thesis mojo onto you!! biggrin.gif
sassygrrl
YAY STAR!!!!!!

Well done!

pollystyrene
Hooray star!!! Will we be getting girl drink drunk on Saturday? We'll make LeBoy be our designated driver!!
period_monster
Compared to finishing a dissertation, this isn't much of an accomplishment. Woot, Stargazer!

But, I finally have finished and submitted the necessary forms for my IRB approval. I've been procrastinating on this for four months.
stargazer
That is an accomplishment period_monster! Each step you take towards completing your research is a step in a good direction. smile.gif
culturehandy
This is late, but congrats Star on completing your dissertation!!!
girltrouble
oh, yeah star! you are so amazing! congrats!
zoya
yay star!!!

I passed my motorcycle driving test!!!! now all I have to do is the written (which is the easy part) and I'll have my motorcycle license!!!!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.