Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: You make me feel like a natural-ly health woman! (Alternative medicine thread)
The BUST Lounge > Forums > Our Bodies, Our Hells
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15
maddy29
Ok, so is flax seed an omega whatever fatty acid thingy? ANd what is it for? I have very dry eyes, dry skin, etc, and I read somewhere that flaxseed could help with that. Plus it's good for the omega thingy, right?

I'm still trying to figure out what I should be taking.

midgemcgrath
as far as i know, the "good" omega fats are supposed to help with dry skin and hair, and can also be found in other foods like fish (esp. salmon), olive oil, and eggs that are omega fortified...

but, i doubt it would do anything for dry eyes...are you drinking enough water?
chachaheels
Flax seed oil is a source of omega 3 fatty acids. They are "good" fats--our bodies need fat to function properly. Omega 3's help with circulation, glandular function, elimination, etc. etc. You can get omega 3 fatty acids from fish oils (cold water, deep water fish), eggs (as long as the chickens are actually fed real grasses, real corn and seeds, worms, etc...their natural diet), hemp oil, and flax--most commonly. There are other sources (such as canola, to a certain extent) but canola is a genetically modified food and should be avoided.

Olive oil is primarily an omega 6 fatty acid source (it also has a limited amount of omega 9 fatty acid, I believe, but not a significant amount). The ratio of omega 3 to omega 6 is what is important--we all get too much omega 6 and not enough omega 3 to support our bodies optimally. Specific omega 6 fatty acid sources also play a huge role in glandular function, hormone and prostaglandin production, though, and we need to make sure part of the omega 6 fatty acids we ingest come from these specific sources (oil of evening primrose, borage oil, pumpkin seed oil, for example).

Dry eyes could result from anything--thyroid dysfunction, allergy, over-exposure to computer screens and overwork in general, so it's hard to tell whether the symptoms would respond to fatty acid supplementation (but you need these fats in the diet anyway, so why not try adding them through your food and through supplements?)

Here's a very good article for more information:

fatty acid requirements for women
maddy29
awesome thanks. i'm a vegetarian, and i drink toooons of water.
erinjane
I made a post a while ago asking if anyone knew of the master cleanse PDF file, and I just found it and thought people might appreciate it.

http://www.supernatural.com/Wavelengths/Ebooks/TheMasterCleanse.pdf

I'm thinking about doing it in August. I'd like to try it earlier but I'm going to be doing some travelling so I just don't have time.
midgemcgrath
hey, does anyone else take raspberry leaf for cramps? i've been drinking the tea for a while now, and think it helps a bit, but it's not really a big difference, so i suspect it's largely a placebo, in which case, why spend $$ on it? just wondering if anyone else has found that it works or not...
pepper
it's more of a general health tonic for women than a powerful cure for cramps. it certainly has an effect (affect, effect, affect? now i'm never sure if i'm using the right word, darn you girls!) albeit a mild one. it's like having a cup of green tea for the beneficial qualities. i don't usually feel that very much either.
chachaheels
Any herbal treatment (including raspberry leaf tea) needs a three month trial period to see if an effect is detectable.

Raspberry leaf's been used to help regulate and balance reproductive gland function for centuries...but it won't work for everybody cause it won't always fit the case (herbs need to be prescribed according to individuality to work most effectively).
midgemcgrath
yeah, i've been using it for like two years...

pepper--i didn't realize it wasn't more explicitly meant for cramps, that makes sense then!
jasmith
This is probably a silly question, but is there a brand of eyedrops out there that doesn't contain all the extras that commercial drops have? You know, something a health food store would carry?
maddy29
i use similisan, they are great-they have two kinds.
chachaheels
There's an eyedrop you can make yourself out of an herbal tincture of Euphrasia (or it's other name,
"eyebright"). You can mix the tincture in an eye bath cup (50/50 ratio) and just flush out your eyes with it.

Even better, you can get Euphrasia "drops" in a product called Euphrasia Stilidoses--these are made by a company named Seroyal, and they are sold in packets of 20 single use "stylo" or pen-shaped eyedrop applicators. This product is superior to the Similisan drops because it ONLY contains Euphrasia in a diluted form--and that is all you need to treat dryness and irritation as a result of allergies. It's also the best treatment--bar none--for conjuctivitis, and a terrific way to avoid having to use anti-biotics (which aren't as effective anyway) to treat that condition. They sell for less than $20 and they're sold all over the world.

The Similisan--it's a combination remedy; it'll work for a minority of users, some of the time. And for some reason they usually cost more than the single remedy Euphrasia. I like the fact that the applicators for the Euphrasia ensure the purest medicine, each time they're used--the remedy's always fresh and pristine as long as the applicator's sealed.

Raspberry leaf tea is supposed to be used to regulate glandular function--which will then, in turn balance the creation of hormones and prostaglandins all over the body (it's a long term treatment). If you're experiencing menstrual cramps because of a chronic glandular dysfunction, then it might be prescribed for you by an herbalist as something you take on a daily basis for a number of weeks or months. If you're trying to just treat cramps with it (and you don't know why you're getting cramps at all, or no one's bothered to figure that out with you)--there are many far more immediately effective treatments to soothe that kind of pain until you can find out what's happening internally, and use a more appropriate treatment.

maddy29
Hello smile.gif

On another board, a man is claiming that he had horrible depression for years, took psych meds, etc, and that what worked for him was this combo of vitamins and supplements. He claims that within two days, his suicidal ideation was gone.

Here is his list:
vitamin C (500mg 3x per day)
B_Complex_50 (includes B1, B2, B3, B5, B6, B12, folic acid, biotin, PABA, choline, inositol - once per day)
a multiVitaMineral (Life Force Multiple made by Source Naturals)
vitamin E
2 eggs per day
half a gallon of distilled water per day
banana
a healthy diet (no fast foods, processed foods, etc.).]

I know I need to go get a nutrition book, but I'm just curious about what our resident experts think about this combination.

I'm trying to figure out a good combo for me that I can stuff into a smoothie or something.....Is he missing anything that you'd recommend? taking anything you don't think he needs?
pixiedust
Maddy, I have heard of something similar to that. My old chiropractor(predivorce) was into holistic medicine and when my ex and I were both diagnosed as clinicly depressed he gave us some information about taking a combination of vitamins(mostly B's) exercizing, and basically an almost Atkins like high protien/no processed food diet. I was on the Atkins diet when I got depressed, tried adding a multivitamin and some exercise, but in the end, I went on meds. Now that I am oof of them I do try to avoid a lot of processed foods and religiously take a multivitamin and it works for maintaining mental health I think.
midgemcgrath
i've read a lot on zinc and vit b (especially b6 and b12) being important for mood, inparticular the b vitamins if you are on hormonal birth control, which depletes it in the body.

i haven't tried taking supplements yet, but i've heard a lot of good feedback on these!
chachaheels
I think the multi-vitamin treatment listed below is not sufficient to actually have much of an effect on depression.

High stress and overworked adrenals, possibly; depression, however, requires a few more nutritional supports.

I can't imagine treating either condition without being specific about the type of B12 vitamin that would be most readily bioavailable (so I would never use a B Multi mix like that, but choose my B vitamins more carefully. If I could not find an injectible source of the right type of B12, I'd look for a sublingual type of that form of the vitamin and give at least 1000mcg/dose, per day).

I also feel you need to supplement with Essential Fatty Acids--Omega 3's, 6's, and 9's, in an individualized proportion, with specific fatty acid chains in each type of the Omega fatty acid groups (or you won't have any effect in helping the body stabilize moods).

But it's a definite improvement (in that you don't deplete necessary nutrients from the body) to just cut out the rancid fats, refined and enriched foods, and extremely high-fructose dependent contents of processed foods.

All in all, I think there may be a vitamin sales pitch in that diet described below--so I feel like a really good nutritional consultant would probably be the best person to ask/supervise dietary changes to address depression. It's absolutely possible to help your depression symptoms disappear with dietary changes, but it takes a lot more than one nutritional supplement or multi-vitamin to do this.
doodlebug
Hey all....I apologize for not reading thru the archives to find out if this has been discussed already....

Can anyone recommend some good ways to deal with PMS mood swings?

I never tracked my periods properly before, but I've been doing so for the past year, and am starting to make the connections between my depression/anxiety and PMS. I always thought it was work-stress-related, which it may be, but the fact that it falls in line the week before my period makes me think PMS is exacerbating the problem. And it's getting really bad (although so is my job stress).

It's getting to the point where I'm barely functional for days at a time. Aside from leaving my job, which is not financially realistic for me right now (and I need to finish up several projects before I do move on), and aside from taking psychiatric meds, which I refuse, what can I do?

Or is there another thread I should ask this in?
cloverbee
Doodle, I have the same problem. There is an antidepressant that you can take around the time of your cycle to alleviate some of those symptoms and then there are also some herbal supplements that help balance out your hormones. I drink an herbal tea from mountainroseherbs.com that is for PMS. Also, you can step up your exercize program during that time and spend more time outdoors in natural light to boost seratonin. I don't think there is one "magic bullet" because I have searched all over for one. I, too, am incapacitated for days at a time before my period and I get bouts of anxiety and my heart palpitates. It is such a shame that we have to endure this. I wish more research would go into these types of problems. good luck.
edna
Doodle, do you take any kind of supplements now? A general daily multi-w/ Bs could be helpful.

I was having bad PMS mood swings in my early 30s, and I started taking evening primrose oil capsules. It made a world of difference for me...I remember being surprised to get my period w/o the bad mood warning days.

maddy29
chacha-you rule! it's so nice to get great info here. on this other board, the guy is a bit of a troll, but he makes these huge claims about his vitamin routine, etc. I did notice he didn't include the fatty acids, either.

i've also heard about magnesium being very helpful. Maybe it's time for me to find someone to make an appointment with who can help me. I mean, i know my depression isn't caused by vitamin deficiency, but it seems like it can really help treat it.

there are different kinds of B12? What does that mean?

Also, about the eyedrops-i have really bad dry eyes-my eye dr. just prescribed eye drops, but i'd rather go the natural way. i've been using the similisan, but it sounds like that's not as effective as the other stuff. But, is the other stuff for allergy treatment? or can it just be used for dry, spend too much time on the computer-eyes?

i love this thread!!!!! I have soooo much to learn though, it's kinda overwhelming.
cloverbee
Edna, I second the evening primrose oil capsules. I have been taking them lately and they do work wonders.
doodlebug
Hey, thanks for the input everyone!

I was taking a multivitamin, but I ran out last month, and money's been kinda tight, so....I thought I could do without for awhile. But it seems like this month's cycle has been the worst in a long time, so I guess that was a mistake. Also, since my car broke down on the 10th, I spent most of my grocery money dealing with that and I haven't had any fresh fruit or veg for almost a week. That's probably had a huge impact, too. Tomorrow is payday.

Also, I'm thinking of going back on St. John's Wort...I wonder if that would have any impact on PMS?

I cried for three hours last night, including an hour into a phone call with the "good listener" friend before I finally calmed down. (Thank goddess for friends who validate everything for you.)
edna
Doodle, I know everybody's body and metabolism is different, but I am super-duper sluggish, cranky, and miserable if I don't eat right and get my fresh veg & fruit. Being as diligent as possible about that stuff makes a big difference for me and my moods.

Somebody mentioned magnesium, and that's a good suggestion too. Mgnesium has a zillion functions, including helping to keep blood sugar levels balanced.

It sucks that getting fresh healthy food and good quality supplements is so frigging expensive. sad.gif
chachaheels
Hey Doodle,

You know, evening primrose oil capsules really do help to alleviate mood disorders and to balance out the entire hormone/prostaglandin production pathway. You end up feeling much less of a "swing" in mood despite the fact that you have no estrogen in the body that week before your period starts.

Estrogen, which is present throughout our cycle until just a few days before menses start, is an excellent anger suppressant--and women tend to turn anger inwards on themselves as a rule, which ends up creating depression. No estrogen to suppress those emotions usually means we have to contend with them full force, which, in a healthy person is no big deal. If, however, a hormone imbalance exists in the body (there are a million reasons for hormonal imbalances), "full force" means incredible difficulty in actually dealing with these feelings.

Evening Primrose oil capsules really helped me end a two decade long battle with extremely painful cramps and all that accompanies them--including tremendous sadness and irritability before the period's onset. I took them along with Flax seed oil (though now I heartily recommend fish oil tablets as well). You actually need both to create the optimum balance in fatty acids to alleviate the pain of the menses as well as the difficulties with moods and depression.

The other big thing? For me it was Magnesium Phosphorica biochemical tissue salts to get rid of cramping pains and achy joints and back; as well as to really get rid of the cravings I had for chocolate and milk products. It's such a necessary mineral and so many people don't get enough of it--if you're not getting at least two times as much magnesium in your diet than calcium, you end up depleting calcium from your body, so it really is an overlooked but vital nutrient. I like the tissue salts because they are relatively inexpensive, and extremely bioavailable. They work like magic on any nerve pain, spasmodic cramping pain, and plenty of other symptoms...plus they actually supplement the body better than any undiluted mineral supplement can.

I think St. John's Wort isn't really going to work in your case Doodle because there is so much evidence in your case to believe that the cycle is heavily involved in the depression you're experiencing--that always signals to me a deficiency in the proper fats for the diet.

I hope you're able to give these preparations a try--I often tell my patients to give the capsules a 3 month period of time to work but so many have told me they've seen quicker response that I know you won't have to wait that long to see improvements. As for the tissue salts, they work immediately and they're one of my favourite treatment options. They're so easy to use, there are only 12 of them to choose from so it's easy to select the one(s) you need if you get a handy guide to how to use them, and they are very inexpensive.

One other suggestion: the closest thing to a "magic bullet" is the right homeopathic remedy. Homeopathy done right really works amazingly fast and amazingly well...especially with emotional problems like the one you describe. Consultation is the costly part of the process (but even that is way cheaper than a prescription you have to repeat). The remedies themselves are used with massive restraint and they cost very, very little. I too think there's something seriously wrong with the world when doing what is healthy costs you insane amounts of money, and doing what's conventional and quite often toxic is always covered and made to appear cheaper.

Maddy==yes, there are various types of vitamin B-12's. Hydroxycobalamin, Cyanocobalamin, and Methylcobalamin. People respond differently to each type, but basically B-12 has to be converted into methylcobalamin before it can be utilized.
Some people are so deficient they must get this vitamin via injection. But you can get sublingual drops, fast-dissolving strips and lozenges, and even transdermal creams. I like to use methylcobalamin and folic acid drops or sublinguals (so that the B-12 doesn't mask a folic acid deficiency) for most of my female patients who want to supplement with B's.

The eyedrops? Yes, they can be used to help soothe tired, dried out eyes. They also work great for allergy symptoms focused in the eye as well as full-blown pink-eye. I always keep a box around whenever I've spent too much time in front of a computer, or whenever I've managed to irritate my eyes through a lack of sleep.

Hope this is helpful to you Maddy...
aslan
Evening Primrose Oil capsules had such a dramatic reduction in my PMS symptoms that for a while I became an evangelical madwoman, telling every woman I knew to start taking them.

I'm interested in anything that helps curb my sugar cravings. Chromium picolinate isn't really doing the trick. Or I have the weakest will in the world.
hellotampon
Would St John's Wort help with seasonal depression? During the winter I get moderate excersize, I get up early, I try to get as much natural light as possible, and I eat plenty of fruits/veggies/whole grains/mixed nuts and I supplement with B vitamins. All that stuff helps, but I still feel shitty and dread the winter and in the fall, when it first starts to hit, I am moody as hell and at dusk I get anxiety attacks or just really sad and can't stop crying. After that just sorta get used to it until spring and then I get hyper for a while.

I actually want to move out of New England to a place that's sunny, like Colorado, but I don't see that happening for a few years at least.

chachaheels
I think it would...a good quality St. John's Wort (make sure it's certified organic, and better than "standardized" quality). I still think, however, that so many of use don't have a sufficient amount of the right kind of fats in our diets, so I think omega fatty acid supplementation is good too. Flax or fish oils, plus evening primrose oil or borage or pumpkin oil caps, every day. There are so many of us who are deficient in these fats, and they play a massive role in our metabolism, in our whole body's function. We can't do without them but for the last 50 years or so, most of us have been told to eat diets which have excluded natural sources of these fats...now we're suffering.

A lot of people are also spending even more time outdoors during the winter, when the sun is highest--at least an hour or so during the middle of the day, to expose yourself to as much sun as possible (in order to make vitamin D in the body, as well as to keep you from being deprived of light at a crucial time). There are "lightbooks" available to help you add a few extra minutes of "sun" like exposure--people do say they feel much better after using these light books on a daily basis through the winter.

Aslan: gymneva sylvestre, holy basil, and cinnamon extract all have an effect on sugar cravings in that they reduce the desire for sugar. You might want to try one of these herbs, if you like: I would also very strongly recommend looking deeper into the sugar cravings. They can signal thyroid dysfunction (do you have any other symptoms that might suggest this?) so they are worth a little detective work...or at least a blood test to see how your thyroid's doing.

Also, what kind of sugar foods are you "craving", and when? Just curious.
aslan
ChaCha, I will look for those herbs tonight. Are they in capsules? Oils or alcohol?

If I can go 5 or 6 days without sugar I'm fine, my cravings nearly disappear but it's a goddamn slippery slope and if I have ONE little morsel then suddenly I'm eating an entire box of Carr's ginger lemon creme cookies. And it's not just sugar. It must be combined with fat and carbs. Take last night...I had done so well all day long, eating light, lots of local vegetables. I started craving something sweet around 6pm (I'd already had a healthy filling light dinner) so I ate a peach. It was delicious. The flavor was so complex and naturally sweet and yet....I wanted more. So I make peanut butter cookies! From scratch! It's ridiculous. I tend to crave these kinds of sweets at night and in the morning when I have coffee at work. If I don't drink coffee, I rarely want a floury, buttery, sweet thing to complement it.

I THINK my thyroid's fine. I don't go to the doctor, so what kind of symptoms should I be aware of?

midgemcgrath
hellotampon--

if you do try the st john's wort... well, you can't use it if you're on hormonal birth control, it decreases the effectiveness of the birth control, and nobody likes that! just wanted to give a heads up!

i hate anxiety!!! hugs.
maddy29
chacha-you are a great resource! If I want to really sit down with someone and discuss this stuff, etc, who do I go to? Like, a nutritionist? Or herbalist? I mean, do I just look in the phone book?

Hi, I'm clueless-can you tell?

Kind of telling that I have no idea where to go for this, but if I needed a western dr-so easy! Plus, insurance will pay for a dr.

I definitely don't know enough to just be self-dosing, although I feel like I'm getting a good list of stuff to take-including the flax/primrose oil.

one thing about the SUN and Vitamin D-my mom gets plenty of calcium. But, when she went to her nurse practitioner, the nurse told her that in the winter, the way the sun's rays hit us aren't sufficient to give us ANY help with absorbing calcium and vitamin D. My mom's in Michigan, but the nurse said it was from the east to the midwest....
chachaheels
maddy, your words are very kind! Thank you for them.

Well trained herbalists and nutritional consultants will each have a solid knowledge of symptomatology--so either practitioner can help you with the symptoms you have by alerting you to their possible indications. Then, they may suggest you see your GP to arrange for a particular kind of test in order to rule out any serious illnesses and confirm any other suspicions they may have about your state of health based on their observations.

You might want to give the options some thought: herbalists use herbal tinctures, decoctions, infusions, or dried plant materials on their own to treat your concerns. Nutritional consultants can often help you to address particular concerns by suggesting changes in your diet which will address deficiencies, support organ function, and create a state of optimum physical health which will allow you to enjoy optimum emotional, mental, and spiritual health as well. Homeopaths take an intense, comprehensive medical history and consult with you for a lengthy initial meeting, analyse the symptoms you present and try to understand who it is you are and what "makes you tick" as a human being: then they choose a single remedy which addresses the pattern of symptoms and characteristics in your case and you take the remedy. Naturopaths often use a combination of both approaches and then some--some will throw in traditional chinese medical compounds or herbs or treat with a homeopathic constitutional remedy too. I suggest a little bit more research into all the areas of alternative health which seem most attractive to you. Whatever you feel would be most comfortable for you to follow (nothing works if you just can't keep up with what's required in the treatment) is what you should go with.

The most important thing to remember: none of these treatment methods work well if you end up "self-treating". Alternative medicine is about more than just taking a medicine==it's about the process of becoming well and "whole" as a person. You should be treated by someone knowledgeable, who can select appropriate medicines for you at the appropriate dosages and strengths; then, they should be there to manage your case and your progress towards health (intervening when things aren't going as they should, knowing when to alter the medicine used, stop use of medicines, or restart the use after a period of watching and waiting).

Herbalists, Registered Nutritional Consultants, Classical Homeopaths, and Naturopaths all have societies or councils or associations to which they can belong once they have completed a standard of training and practice. Start by looking in your area for these kinds of regulatory associations--give them a call and ask them about the kind of practitioner they feel is ideal...they may even refer associates who can be found very easily near you. You can PM me if you like--I can help you find more info online through various associations if and this will narrow down your search process.

Aslan: many herbs work best in tincture (an alcohol/water blend); some work best in glycerine (these are called "glycerites") and some work well in water (so they are used to make teas, or they're dried and encapsulated). The ones I mentioned can usually be found in capsule formulations at really good supplement or health food stores. If you're in Canada, I like herbs made by Clef Des Champs in Quebec; and St. Francis; I also like Wild Woman Herbals. EAch of these sources use very high quality organic or wildcrafted herbs and Clef Des Champs is very politically aware in all its practices...and very reasonably priced. The Gymnema comes in many brand names--Professional Health Products, Genestra/Seroyal, AOR; the Cinnamon extract comes from a very high quality manufacturer called New Chapter, which I'm sure you can also get in the States. Don't forget the chromium picolinate either--chromium's function is to help each cell fully metabolise sugar. That's important.

Okay, I'm hogging space here but one last, quick thing Aslan: the sugar cravings seem driven by eating sugar! A tip off that there is a very slight hypoglycemic tendency there. I suggest adding more lean protein to your meals, and adding between meal snacks that are light and protein rich (nuts, for example; cheese, egg, yogurt, small servings of meat or fish...these will help to keep your blood sugar level stable so you won't crave the sugar so much).
maddy29
chachaheels rules. thanks so much for the info. smile.gif
cloverbee
have Omega 3 fish oil capsules give anyone else diarrhea?
turbojenn
This is gross, but I'm not kidding cloverbee....they gave me anal leakage. eeew. blink.gif But then just about any oil in any quantity does that...my intestines are very sensitive, thank you very much.

I give the capsules to my dog though, and he's got a lustrous coat and nice skin...me...well, I'm still working on my lustrous mane and good skin. tongue.gif
chachaheels
If you're getting "anal leakage", and you feel it's from fish oil capsules, you may be taking too much.
(or you may have encountered that sneaky food "additive", Olestra. It's in all the Baked potato chips these days...)

For most people, you start off with a few capsules for a number of weeks (depending on your needs--this is why it is good to see someone who's trained to know to what extent you are deficient). Then, once you've built up a sufficient store of the fat, you cut your daily intake down to a moderate dose.

Usually one or two fish oil capsules per day is enough--that goes for tuna oil, mediterranean sardine oil, cod liver oil, nordic deep water fish oils. Even at the beginning of your use of the fats. Unless you are treating an advanced pathology (like heart disease, epilepsy, etc.).

Omega 6 fatty acids such as evening primrose oil are the fats you'll most likely need to build a store of before you can scale back to a moderate daily dose.
turbojenn
Nope, no junk food in my house. It only occured when I took fish oil caps...I took 2 a day for the first week, that was too much, took one capsule...still too much. My homeopath just told me to stop taking it, and I was fine. Turbodog is benefitting from the rest. wink.gif
maddy29
Hey-I saw my shrink last night, and asked about the nutritional supplements. She said she's a HUGE believer in flax seed oil. She's even getting a prenatal vitamin with that added to it. I'm glad she's open to other treatments.

although, she said that it would help with physical health, but not so much mental health. BUt, i figure, physical health affects mental health.

is it ok to take a flaxseed/primrose oil combo pill?

also, someone mentioned magnesium in liquid form? sup wit dat?

turbojenn
I just grind up flax seed myself in my spice grinder (coffee grinder I use for spices) and toss it in my smoothies or on my granola in the morning, so the oil is fresh, and I get the benefits from the seed husks in keeping the colon clean! I've no idea on the combo pill, but I bet chacha can help you out there...
maddy29
so the husks have fiber in them? that's pretty cool. you grind up the seeds and use every part of them? like there's no throw-away part? thanks:)
cloverbee
I was taking the molecularly distilled omega 3 capsules. I took two the first day= diarrhea. and one the second=worse diarrhea.
chachaheels
Cloverbee, sorry to hear about the diarrhea. It's not often that people react that way (and usually it's cause of stuff like Olestra!). If there is a problem with the actual oils, then perhaps taking a flax seed or even a hemp seed (which is a fantastic omega 3 and 6 fatty acid source) that's freshly ground is a good option for you.

Some people love the taste of the freshly ground seeds (but then again, some people love the taste of flax seed oil, too--I'm not one) and they do add fibre. Hemp seed is also rich in protein as well as fibre, so there's an extra benefit there if you'd like it. A good health food store may have some fresh samples for you to try out so you can see which you like better--they are both very versatile for adding extra texture and flavour to all kinds of foods.

Another suggestion--just off the top of my head--it may be that you find all fats and oils difficult to metabolize, Cloverbee. There are B vitamins which do help with this process, two of the most important ones are B6 and Pantothenic acid. There are other B vitamins known as lipotrophics (one example is inositol) which also help to properly metabolize fats. You can usually find these in B vitamin combinations if you wish to try supplementing with them to see if that makes any difference for you.

In any case, TurboJenn (and that doggy has a lovely, lustrous coat!) I hope your homeopath is paying attention! The symptom of having diarrhea after eating oils or fats (or, really any sign of not being able to metabolize them at all) would be a nice guiding symptom to a really good remedy for you.

Maddy,
Re: taking Flax seed oil and oil of evening primrose together--yes, you can do this. I did this myself years ago. My daily routine was 1 tablespoon of cold pressed, expeller pressed flax seed oil (if you get the liquid, please be sure to keep it in the freezer to keep it from becoming rancid); and six 1/2 inch long gel capsules of evening primrose oil (that was also very pure) a day. The flax seed oil is primarily a source of omega 3 fatty acids; the evening primrose oil is a very special source of omega 6 fatty acids==special in the sense that it is slightly different from other omega six oil sources in the role it plays in prostaglandin production.

Oh, and your shrink might be interested: there is a heap of data on the use of omega 3 fatty acids in treating emotional ailments like depression, ocd, bi-polar disorders, adhd/add, etc. The research is becoming much more refined as it goes, too--now there growing evidence of the kind of omega 3 fats (EPA and DHA) which are most effective in these kinds of treatments (eg. DHA or docosahexaenoic acid is the omega 3 fatty acid chain that seems to make the greatest impact on emotional stability and health, as opposed to the EPA or eicosapentanoic acid, which was once thought to be most important). Flax seed oil was the oil on which many of the first studies focused; now fish oil seems to be garnering the most attention. Either way, the beneficial impact on mental health has become well documented.

Magnesium supplements: magnesium is such a valuable nutrient and we never seem to have enough of it. It's not easy to absorb, but it's vital. You can get supplements of Magnesium citrate or gluconate--these aren't too bad for absorption. If you can get powdered magnesium citrate that you can dissolve in a little bit of warm or hot water, the absorption is far better. The best source of magnesium, the most bio-available form is the biochemical tissue salt called Magnesium Phosphorica 6X or 12X. If you can dissolve 4 of those little pillules in some warm water and sip the mixture, they are absorbed very very quickly and they can act immediately if you're using them to treat things like cramps and nerve pain.
cloverbee
So I did some Googling and found out that diarrhea is one of the side effects listed for Omega 3. I just happen to be one of the unlucky ones I guess. One website said to just push through and keep taking it. Hmmm....I don't think so. I have been using flax seed on my food for a long time. I don't grind or crush it, though. I may buy some flax seed oil instead of the fish oil next time.
turbojenn
yup, you got it chacha...I don't metabolize straight out fats very well...or lots of other things like wheat, dairy eggs...all the usuals...so, I stick pretty close to a whole foods diet, supplement with some homeopathic tinctures for liver and adrenal, and some basic cell salts and a megafoods women's vitamin. All that, and a few cleanses each year keep me pretty happy and healthy these days.

I don't mind the taste and texture of ground flax, but I usually put it in smoothies or on my cereal, so its just kind of a nutty background.
cloverbee
I do have IBS which fried food usually irritates but I've never had a problem w/ olive oil. I dunno. I'm doing my own little experiment to see if it was actually the Omega 3. I would like to mention another problem that I'm having which is fatigue. I have no energy. I usually don't leave my couch all day due to this. Now, I eat very healthy and take a multi-vitamin so what is up?
knorl05
hello dears. smile.gif re: anxiety. the technique i use that helps with anxiety is to breath deep into the abdomen, until it expands, then slowly release in a count of four. at first it's difficult but after a while it becomes natural.
cloverbee
thanks, knorl. that's a helpful tip. I will try that next time I have anxiety.
chachaheels
The fatigue is all part of whatever is bringing on the IBS, the sensitivity to fats, and the lack of energy or desire to do things. They're all interconnected.

A multivitamin is intended to supplement a diet that is full of variety, fresh foods with plenty of nutrients, and a rather self-determined lifestyle which allows for all kinds of time to prepare and enjoy those foods. They are intended for use by those who have no chronic ailments or complaints or health issues at all. When you're experiencing symptoms like IBS and fatigue, you will not get a great deal of help with a multivitamin. If you wish to make some supportive changes for your body using nutrition, nutrients will have to be used to treat whatever chronic pathology exists--more nutrients than can be found in a supplement. Nutrients are often not enough: people derive a huge benefit using botanical medicines from all kinds of alternative medical systems (TCM, western herbal medicine, ayurveda) in conjunction with concentrated nutrient supplementation and dietary modifications.

For a homeopath, the kind of information we've been mentioning here--an inability to metabolize fats--is a very good symptom which narrows down the remedy selection to just a few out of a potential 3000 options. Fats are the body's best source of nutrients--they are vital for healthy organ function all around, and they usually convey other nutrients to the body efficiently (so if you're not absorbing fats, you're losing a huge number of necessary nutrients from your diet, no matter what you eat or what diet you choose to be on). If you were to talk to a classical homeopath, you would get that one remedy and find that the inability to metabolize fats would finally be reversed. That alone would make a massive difference to the overall energy level you're living with, and the need to supplement with anything wouldn't be such a big deal (in other words, you'd do fine with just a multivitamin and a diet that gives you enough food for the energy requirements you have). The right homeopathic remedy chosen this way would also help you confront and change any emotional causes which might have initiated and maintained your IBS and fatigue, for good. Making changes in the diet or supplementing with specific nutrients or botanicals wouldn't be necessary.

If you were to see a nutritional consultant, then you would very likely be given individual vitamin supplements in quantities larger than you would expect to find in a multi-vitamin. You might also need to take glandular extracts to support the body until optimum glandular function was restored. Some nutritionists also like to put their patients on an "elimination" diet--where attempts are made to isolate certain types of foods which might be causing or maintaining your problems. These diets are temporary: once health is restored, a healthy body should be able to eat and digest any kind of food and gain and utilize nutrients from whatever that food source is. This is completely possible, but it often takes time and perserverance. The good news: it does pay off and it does give you greater health and a lot more knowledge about your body and your self.

RE: flax seeds: If you use the flax seeds whole, you don't get the omega fatty acid benefits from them. If they're consumed whole they're just plain old fibre.
knorl05
cloverbee: of course, it is basically the foundation for a lot of really good meditation techniques i've tried. its also important to remember that anxiety is all in the head.
cloverbee
yes, it is all in your head. but it affects your body the most! I feel like I've overcome a lot of my anxiety problems by being on medication. now that I'm no longer on my medication, I still think that i am able to employ techniques like you mentioned before to help control it.

chacha, I had my glands tested and they were fine. I think my problem may be more along the lines of depression. but I still don't understand the fish oil reaction. do you think flax seed oil would do the same thing to me?
chachaheels
Oooh!! I beg to disagree! Anxiety is NOT all in the head!

For a long time it's been known that what happens in the mind affects the body--and what happens in the body affects the mind. It's not just a "truism", there's a whole, growing branch of conventional medical science that is mapping out the links between emotions, nerve impulses, glands, hormones, and muscles...and then back again.

Every pathological change that takes place in the body has an effect on the mind too (in homeopathy, every single remedy proving yeilds lots of mental and emotional symptoms as well as physical ones...there's no avoiding it, it happens with each substance so it happens in every one of us whenever we experience illness.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.