Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: You make me feel like a natural-ly health woman! (Alternative medicine thread)
The BUST Lounge > Forums > Our Bodies, Our Hells
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15
pepper
hey chicas, my mom broke out with a cold sore yesterday (just in time for her anniversary today) and she's been putting PERFUME on it!! celion dion perfume no less, blech. what the hell, is that an ok cure for the little bugger? can anyone recommend something Else that she can do, at least for next time? something she could carry around in her purse for when she gets the tingle, something that heads it off at the pass would be awesome but something for treatment if she breaks out too. thanks so much girlies!!

chacha, i have some questions about homeopathic remedies if you would be so kind...

i have on my list kali phos for nerve development, ferrum phos for circulatory and blood development, and cal flour for skin elasticity. do i want 6X for all of those and do i want all of those? if not, which or what else. i have this written down to take in the last trimester, i have no idea where this note is from though huh.gif
thank you!!
chachaheels
Peppah!! Hi!

Celine Dion perfume, huh?It's going to dry the sore out which will make the skin keep cracking, and that increases the potential for infection. Instead--I would suggest that Natrum muriaticum tissue salts are a good first aid treatment for cold sores especially if they are located in the corners of the mouth and the sores look kind of "pearly". I'd take them 4 times per hour for an hour or so (4 pills at a time) at first, and then use them 4 times a day till the sore's healed up.

I'm pretty sure I gave you that list of tissue salts for the last trimester--and all of them are 6x potencies. They are really great for helping tissue development in your own changing body and also in your baby's growing body.

Here's a site which lists the 12 tissue salts and their uses: It's a handy little reference page with lots of good info on which salt to use for what.

Erinjane, Cranial Sacral massage is a special technique and it is possible that some acupuncturists or homeopaths might be trained in how to conduct the therapy--I would suggest looking for that specific type of massage therapist in your yellow pages (it's where most people find alternative medicine practitioners) but also looking on google for cranial sacral massage therapists in your area (lots of practitioners have websites). This will also give you more information on how it works, what to expect, etc.

If you're hearing good things about the Asian doctor, and she learned acupuncture/tcm in Asia, then it may be a good idea to give her a call and ask her about her practice and what she does. A lot of acupuncturists take short, six month long courses (that's just not enough training, in my opinion. It requires the usual 5 years of basic training, just like every other medical system!)--so if you found someone who actually took the time to learn it properly, chances are excellent you will feel better after her treatment. But do give her a call, ask her about where she studied/did her clinic work, find out about rates, ask about what would be involved in your specific treatment...all the important concerns you may have. You'll get a feel for her from the short conversation and you'll have more information to go on then.
fantaz
Does anybody know any natural aids that help rid depression? i have been on the drug effexor for years and never really paid much attention to symptos that could be side effects of the drug. so i saw my psyciatrist today and she wanted to switch me to prozac. however, i have been looking up patient reviews for it and there are all these horrible side effecs that people are experiencing. I really do not want to depend on a medicine forever, and i do not want these side effects. i really curious to hear if anyone of you know of some natural remedies for depression that actually work! i've read that st.john's wort helps. is this true? please respond, i have to make a decision soon! i just want something natural and CHEAP.
anarch
chacha, thanks for the additional info. Wish I'd known all that about combo "homeopathics" a long time ago, but oh well. Live & learn.

pepper, eating foods that have more lysine than arginine (lysine and arginine are amino acids) has been incredibly helpful for me, when EVERYTHING else I tried didn't work, including lysine supplements, which can be bought in the US at health food stores, but not in Canada last time I checked. And avoiding foods with more arginine than lysine, of course (onions, garlic, nuts & seeds, chocolate, are the most common offenders....difficult to avoid because they taste so good but I've found it makes a big difference in how fast the sore heals or whether it spreads). The virus needs arginine to replicate. If there's more lysine in your system, lysine will fill the virus's arginine receptors so it can't.

I used perfume for a while, long ago. It helped dry the sores up, but tasted awful.

fantaz, a friend of mine took st john's wort capsules and drank the tea. She said it helped. I think someone in this thread has recommended Bach flower remedies too.

chachaheels
Eating foods with mixed amino acids (as opposed to supplementing with L-lysine) sounds like a good, supportive strategy. I learned about taking the lysine supplements from friends of mine who are doctors--and that was about 20 years ago: but I also learned by observation that taking lysine supplements to stave off herpes actually completely undermines the whole body's ability to resist all disease (because in the end our bodies need all the amino acids, all the time, for a variety of other chemical reactions in order the stay healthy; and if lysine precludes the absorption of other amino acids there will be deficiencies). So cut down on arginine rich foods for a number of days--don't supplement!

Fantaz, I know you are looking for something CHEAP, but I am going to try and convince you not to think of the cost of a drug, but the value of your mental health instead.

The real misfortune and danger in using alternative methods comes in using them without knowledge and without objectivity. In a lot of ways, the decision to sell alternative drugs over the counter has really been a cynical move, which has led to drug misuse (which then allows pharmaceutical companies and the medicine they promote to declare alternatives ineffective and unsafe. Used improperly, they are! Just as any other medicine would be).
It is true that St. John's Wort is as effective as Effexor, Paxil, and Prosac, and in comparison studies with these SSRIs (which I do not think employed the herbal drug properly, so again--not enough to go on) the herb worked as well as the prescription meds if not better....but so did placebo. This is certainly an interesting conclusion of a "scientific" study--but really it tells us absolutely nothing about depression or drugs.

You've been using very powerful drugs which create a number of effects in the body that are unwanted. If you want to stop using those drugs, you must be weaned off their use, under the guidance of the doctor who prescribed them for you. When patients who are depressed and using these drugs come to see me I never ask them to stop using them "cold turkey". I take their cases on in the same way as I do any other patient--and I give the homeopathic remedy which suits their own case as much as possible. When there are signs of improvement in the mental/emotional state, and we can see that the improvements hold, I ask the patient to see their doctor to be weaned off their prescription.

That way the psychiatrist can note in his/her file that their patient has no more need for those drugs and the prescription won't continue--and the patient takes less and less of the drug under supervision, until they don't take anymore. The point is, you are under someone's care for the entire time during your treatment--when you are using these kinds of drugs, the person who treats you with them should be responsible for what happens to you while you are in their care, from the moment you fill their scrip to the moment they stop prescribing it for you. If anything goes wrong, you are always under someone's care.

Then, I can continue to manage my patients' cases on the medicine I've put them on, so that I can do whatever is necessary in their treatment:

-increase the potency or repeat the doses of the remedy I gave, based on what the patient needs, so we can deal with the chronic disease

-change the remedy if new symptoms arise which tell me the medicine I gave is either working very well or causing problems

-if the medicine I gave causes problems, I can antidote the remedy I gave or use the "problems" to find an even more curative remedy, give that remedy, and continue to monitor the case.

If you choose to just pick up some St. John's Wort from the drugstore, and you choose to just "treat yourself" for a chronic condition like depression, you will not get well. Here's why:

You're not an herbalist; and you are not objective about what it is that needs to be cured in your case. An herbalist will know, by taking your case first of all, whether or not St. John's Wort will help you in any way. It may not be the right medicine for your particular condition, while another herb or combination of herbs may actually address your pathology much more appropriately.

An herbalist will also know that drugstore herbs are poor quality, come from questionable sources, and generally cost a lot of money for nothing. Herbalists source out wildcrafted or organic herbs from sources they know are legitimate--growers who make their entire operations transparent so that practitioners can be assured that the medicinal plants they use will work predictably because they are of the highest quality. They usually also cost a lot less than the drugstore variety, too.

An herbalist will also know if the herb prescribed is working curatively or negatively in your case, and they will be able to intervene, adjust the doses, or antidote depending on your need. You will not know, and if you suffer symptoms of the drug you didn't know to look out for, you'll be in a lot of trouble. The herbalist will know how to deal with any problems because of his/her training, which, believe you me, is extensive.

As a homeopath, I know that herbs can be curative if they are used in the right way--but they are also very powerful drugs which have effects the average person is never told about(and has not invested the time to learn about). I've seen patients who suffered "mysterious" symptoms which they never traced back to St. John's Wort they bought at the drugstore--but I know they are actually misusing the herb and producing what homeopaths call "proving" symptoms...and with St. John's Wort, those symptoms include high blood pressure, nerve sensitivity, and digestion problems. Many people who self treat and get these symptoms stupidly go right back to their doctors and get a whole round of other prescription meds to treat these new "symptoms", and end up getting drugs they don't need at all--which then cause another bunch of detrimental effects, for which they're given another round of prescription drugs, and so on and so on. That is just very bad medicine all around.

So: if you are looking for ways to effectively treat depression and cut off your dependency on prescription drugs which cause a multitude of side effects, there are a variety of extremely good ways to do this with alternative medicines--but none of them will actually work curatively if you do not work with a trained, competent practitioner who can take and manage your case until you are well again.

If you choose to use herbs, find a qualified herbalist in your area, find out about what herbal medicine and treatment entails, call up people you might want to work with, do a little interview with them so you can tell them a bit about your case and get a feel of what they might be like as practitioners, and spend the money to pay for the treatment. Believe me, it will cost you a lot less than your prescription drugs/conventional medical treatment and you'll save yourself from potentially harming yourself in the process.

The same thing applies if you want to use homeopathy--only work with a well trained, qualified classical homeopath who will manage your case properly. If you think homeopathy and herbs are the same thing--they are not, and that's even more reason not to treat yourself! Invest your time and a little bit of your money to find out which alternatives will work best for you and then find someonewho is trained to help you get well.

It will be worth it.

For more information on herbalism, with links to who's qualified/not qualified in your area, check out the American Herbalist's Guild at www.americanherbalistguild.com.
pepper
thanks for the info girls, i'll pass it along to my mama. anything she can put on topically at all or is it best to just leave it be?

chacha, i can't get that linkeroo to work for me, is it me or is it broke? is there a combo that i can take or get all three individually and take them together or at different times? so many questions!
chachaheels
Pepper, there might be a combo, but combos just don't work well. I don't know what it is, but they all suck.
That's my professional opinion.

You can take 2 doses per day of each salt--once in the morning, once at night; take 4 pills per dose. Just dose with one salt, then the next, and then the next. This way you control how much you take of each salt and you're taking just enough for proper nourishment for you and baby.

Topical stuff for the cold sore? There's a roll on herbal balm called "Erpace" that's on the market that really helps cut down the time you have to deal with the sore; and there's good old honey, which soothes and prevents infection.

The link for the tissue salt site works on this side--I probably formatted it incorrectly, is all.

The site's address is www.basicsource.ca. Once you get there, click on the tab labelled "product" and there's a link on each salt which briefly but thoroughly tells you it's sphere of action.

Hope you are having a great time travelling!
fantaz
Thank you for the advice chacha. I think I have decided to get off my meds and not do the st.john's wort thing. my depression has greatly improved in the past years, but i want to see what i am like when i am not medicated. i have been on some type of antidepressant since i was about 14, so i want to be done with this all!
i really think that it could be ok. i think that if i eat better than i have been and exercise more, my mood will improve.
does anyone know of any foods i can eat that may boost my mood?
also, where do you get Arnica cream? i went to a CVS today, but i couldn't find it. (and i REALLY need it. i work with young kids and I'm ALWAYS getting bruised. it would be AMAZING to have something that can help get rid of them so that i can finally wear my dresses!)
chachaheels
You're far more likely to find Arnica cream in a health food store--drugstores used to carry Arnica tinctures and creams of all kinds about 50 years ago, but most just carry the standard pharmaceutical stuff nowadays and you have to seek out a lot of effective stuff that's now considered "alternative"elsewhere.

You might also want to look into a low dose vial of arnica homeopathic pills, say, an Arnica 6X or 6C--if you're really bruisey.

The best thing for stabilizing mood and supporting all functions of the brain (emotional stability is included in this) is to make sure that you eat the right amount of good quality fats in your diet. You will need to have all the essential fatty acids added to your diet --omega 3, 6, and 9 fats--and you can find balanced blends (Efamol brand makes a really good one, called "Efalex") which is a blend of omega 3's from purified fish oils and omega 6 fats from Oil of Evening Primrose. Or, you can just take Cod Liver Oil capsules (again, be sure to get a distilled, purified oil from cod harvested in cold, deep waters) and separate Oil of Evening Primrose capsules. You'll have to take a lot to start with, for the first 3 months, but then you can cut down when you have some stores of the fats in the body. Coconut oil is also fantastic for emotional/mental health--again, you need to get an organic, extra virgin oil that is cold pressed for full benefit. If sleep becomes a problem for you once you wean off the anti-depressants, 3mg sublingual melatonin pills, taken at night before bed, will help tremendously. You should also look into the B vitamins--B12 in a liquid drop form, preferably in a methylcobalamin form you can take daily; as well as a combination of B vitamins which includes the lipotrophic factors like Choline and Inositol. B vitamin deficiencies are often at the root of depression, so it's always wise to make sure these vitamins remain part of your diet to stay well.

Foods to stay away from because they adversely affect mood: MSG in all its forms ("hydrolyzed protein",
"natural flavours", "natural extract", "spices"...these are all ways MSG can be legally listed as an ingredient without actually identifying itself); refined sugars (especially high fructose corn syrup) and refined flours of all kinds (so--all processed foods, basically).

That's a start! The best thing to do before supplementing is to keep a food "diary" of whatever you eat--everything that you eat--for about a week or so. There's no need to edit your food choices, as the goal is to actually see in writing what it is that forms your diet. That makes it much easier to figure out what you need to add to improve your health.
pepper
hey chacha, i have some calc phos 6X that i give to little when he wakes up with growing pains in his legs but i know that i originally bought it for myself. i can't remember what for now though, was it when i felt sick or for something baby related? and i have some euphrasia officionalis 30 ch too, what was that for? thanks chica, i have to start writing these things on the label!!
chachaheels
I think the calc phos for you could have been for about a million things--dentition is a big thing, with calc phos, and so is bone pains and tiredness. It's probably a good "constitutional remedy" for you, in a more diluted potency--many to just help you finish getting over another illness? Morning sickness? I think it may have been in response to a request for something to help with morning sickness.

The Euphrasia in potency must have been prescribed for a flu. But's also a good remedy for your eyes, as well.

Labels are a bit too small for writing things--the remedies are all used to for all kinds of ailments, depending on whatever specific symptoms you produce in that state. I will see if I can't find a good, handy booklet with first aid info for you and send it along so you can keep it with your remedies and find out whatever you need to know when you need it.
pepper
thank you chica bella!
i think you're right, calc phos for morning sickness and the other was from when i got so sick. i've been using the calc phos for little's leg aches and i'll save the other for whenever we might need it again (hopefully never!!), can i give it to the baby if he or she gets sick? or should i just take it myself and nurse?

hey, does anyone know what irritated tastebuds are cause by? both little and i have a sore, swollen red taste bud right now, since we both have it i wondered... we aren't taking the same supplements aside from a probiotic powder and we don't eat a lot of citrus. i can't imagine what it's from.
raisingirl
*blows dust off*

Bump?
kiss_the_fiddler
Oh, great thread! Where in the heck has it been all this time? Thanks for the bump.

fiddler
raisingirl
You're welcome!

Signed,

Queen of Bumpland wink.gif
pepper
8 more deaths due to Gardasil vaccine.
chachaheels
Thank you Pepper, for posting that link. I've always heard their "One Less" campaign in my head as a count-off song (as in one less woman alive...ads always tell us more than they think they do). I think a lot of homeopaths are bracing for the insidious and latent disease/death toll on that particular vaccine, and it's a tragedy that the religious right have jumped in to block the vaccine on their bogus grounds because it makes anyone who is out to warn women of its dangers look like they're in league with the religious ignorami. By association, the argument falls unheard, when health is at stake on a mass scale.

The vaccine's long term effects have never been tested (and never will be, except through use. Which means women will die from it or suffer serious illness from it for years before a law suit forcing the issue is won. Then, and only then, will it be possible to remove it from the "health care" regime).
Jezebel
We wrote something on Evil Slutopia back in January expressing some reservations about Gardasil, and it still gets comments on a regular basis. (In case anyone's interested, it's here 10 Things You Might Not Know About Gardasil and there's also the follow up 10 More Things) A lot of the positive feedback that we got was thanking us for putting some research and information out there and kinda saying that it was perfectly okay to raise questions and feel unsure about whether getting this vaccine was a great idea. We also got a bunch of stories of women whose doctors basically said 'yes of course you should get it, there's no reason not to' and blew off any questions and concerns. It's unfortunate that it seems like you can't have reservations about this without being labeled either a right wing anti-promiscuity nut or a paranoid conspiracy theorist.
pepper
dietary meat the cause of MRSA?

http://www.salon.com/news/feature/2007/11/...html?source=rss
chachaheels
Meat isn't the only source of anti-biotic overuse, not by a long shot; but it's a big source...all animal husbandry that's done with conventional medical care involves anti-biotic overuse and misuse.

Anti-biotics are in everything now, absolutely all kinds of things. Clothing, toys, stationery and office supplies, "wipes", over the counter medications of all kinds; then, on top of everything else, they've been overprescribed particularly where children and older people are concerned, even to the extent where they have been given largely in cases where they would knowingly be ineffective (such as in the treatment of viral illnesses). Keep in mind that these practices have taken place over decades.

Routine consistent over prescription and mis-prescription have been undermining immune system resistance on a global scale for about 70 years now.
MoonDancer
First of all Holy Cow! I hadn't heard anything about the Gardasil causing that stuff. I wasn't concerned about getting it, but still. WOW! I'll be sure to post that on Myspace. Anyway, I was wondering if someone in here had an answer for my problem. I am just over 6 months pregnant and I don't like taking aspirin or anything, but I have headaches every single day. They seem to focus mainly in making my face hurt. It almost feels as if someone has hit me. I have studied some on homeopathy, but don't know enough to be for sure that something is safe for me to take for it. Any suggestions? I know I don't drink enough water, which might be part of it, but drinking the recommended amount for pregnancy actually makes me sick for some reason. Like my body won't soak up the water so it sits in my stomach and gives me a stomachache. I don't stand out in sunlight for long periods so it cant be that. And I drink some gatorade to keep my electrolytes good. I am at a loss and this has been going on for the whole pregnancy. Before, my face hurt anyway, but since being pregnant it has come to the point where I can't ignore it anymore. I can say I have tried chamomile tea and the stress tamer tea if anyone knows what that is. Neither has worked.
chachaheels
Hi Moon!

Lesson number one in homeopathy is that it is not what you think it is. Lesson number two is that learning about it will take years. Lesson number 3 is "the homeopath who treats himself has a fool for a patient".

The thing about all alternative medicine, and it's a big point we've all been fooled into ignoring, is that you can not treat yourself "over the counter" with the medications, and you can't treat yourself effectively. The big difference between conventional medicine and alternative medicine in not in the drug substances the each form uses: it's in the practice of case management.

In alternative medicine, someone has to individualize the treatment for you (this is why "over the counter" teas, herbs, supplements, etc, never work); more importantly, that someone who is skilled in individualizing your treatment has to monitor your reactions and responses to the medicines given, and act accordingly. Otherwise, there will be no real improvement.

Homeopathy is serious medicine. Don't take things labelled "homeopathic" from a store shelf because most of those products have nothing at all to do with homeopathic medicine as it must be practiced. Leave them on the shelf, save your money, keep your health. If you want homeopathic care, get it by consulting with a qualified classical homeopathic doctor. Then, it will be safe and you will get the results you should see. Same goes for herbs--don't self treat, consult with a qualified herbalist, work with this professional until you are well.

Okay:

that being said, there are some things you can take that work very well with a little bit of education. Scheussler tissue salts are diluted and succussed mineral salts that you can use as needed to treat any variety of symptoms. They are wonderful minerals to use during pregnancy, where they can help with fetal development to a huge extent. A good one to try for recurrent headaches is Natrum Muriaticum 6X. You can take 4 pills under the tongue whenever you feel the headaches.
If your headaches improve, you don't need to take any more until your headache symptoms return. Use sparingly!!! Homeopathy is all about "less is more", even when using tissue salts. Only use the medicines when you suffer the symptoms; only redose if the symptoms return. If nothing happens when you take the remedy, don't redose either. It's the wrong remedy and it won't work, so repeating things won't help and you certainly don't need the medicine if it's not going to do anything.

Not many people know about them, but there are only 12 of them (as opposed to over 3000 extensively detailed homeopathic remedies that must be chosen from to treat anything), they are inexpensive, they are wonderful both dynamically and nutritionally, and you can learn how to choose the ones you need very easily. They're available at all kinds of health food stores, too...so, easy to find when you need them.
coela

Ok, since pepper adviced me to go here, I have a question: my skin is super dry, especially my elbows,
they crack all the time and it hurts. I've tried just about everything - olive oil, baby oil, flax oil, rapeseed oil,
lavender balm, tiger balm, lip palm, aloe vera moisturizer, jojoba oil, coconut oil, you name it. Nothing helps.
I'm beginning to think I have some nutrition deficit, although I eat fatty fish at least twice a week (can't really
take omega-3 capsules since they make me nauseated). I don't eat other meat than fish, but I do eat
cheese. I try to keep my dairy intake on the low side though, since I have lactose intolerance.

Any suggestions on what to do when you have super dry skin?

chachaheels
Okay: first, eliminate all maintaining causes:

Dry, forced air heat sources
Hard water
Skin sensitivities to detergents which might be used in clothes care

Then:

dietary modifications

Take an omega 3 and 6 capsule supplement every day. Take a complex, like Efalex. It has more than just omega 3's, it also has specific omega 6 fats you need IN ORDER to benefit from the omega 3's your taking. Take the elevated dosage on the package for 2 months: then cut back to the daily recommended amount. This will make up for deficiencies and leave you with a sufficient storage that you can maintain.

Not just any omega 6's will do: only certain fatty acid chains will allow for the specific prostaglandin production you will need in order to "fix" problems with skin, joints, emotions, and neurological processing. Olive oil won't cut it, neither will sesame oil or corn oil or any of the other omega sixes we all get too much of. Evening Primrose oil or Borage oil: that's about it for viable omega 6's. Therefore, make your life easy: take the complex formula like the Efalex.

Next:

Eat the fat in your meats. The fats in animal foods are the fats which hydrate the skin, keep it supple and resilient.

Eat eggs, if you can. Avocadoes.

Supplement with Vitamins A, C, E, and Selenium: B vitamins (especially B12 and B6; but a combination would be good); trace minerals, Vitamin D from natural sources (like cod liver oil----vitamin D is a vital nutrient and many of us are severely depleted. You need sun exposure to create it in your body...15 minutes per day, every day, if you're deficient).

Coconut oil eaten on a daily basis is also a great help. 1 tablespoon per day in your food-mixed in smoothies, mixed with spreads like peanut butter or Nutella, spread on toast, used as a fat for frying or baking...

How's that for a start?
coela
chahaheels, wow, that was fast! And extensive! I'll try supplements..again. Although it always ends with me getting headaches (??)
and nausea from the capsules. I have no idea what that is about. I also don't eat meat, except fish. I'd rather not eat eggs either. Other
than that, I'll try everything you said. Thank you very much for the input.

Took the supplement, and 20 minutes later, I have a headache. It never fails. This is so weird.
chachaheels
Which supplement in specific seems to give the headaches?

The fatty acids, the vitamins, or the minerals?

coela

chachaheels, I haven't got a clue, but..
Fatty acids - that would be weird, I don't get a headache from fatty fish, for example
Vitamins - Can you get a headache from vitamins??
Minerals - Don't know

There is something about the capsule form that doesn't work for me, they make me gag.
Not when I swallow them per se, but they give me nausea for hours, even if I eat something.
Haven't seen Omega-3 supplements in any other form than capsules, though.

swedishchick
What better place to ask than here?

I have had problems with my stomach since forever. I have had two gastro scopic (?) examinations that show nothing. The doctors say it's IBS.

Symptoms include:
Bloated stomach, especially after meals
Occasional cramps/pain
Nausea
Loose/hard bowels

A couple of weeks ago I went to the alt med / health food store and a person there suggested that I have an over growth of Candida in my bowels. Yeast infection, yay! I have had numerous problems with vaginal yeast infections over the past five to six years, so...

The suggestions were a diet that excludes:
Sugar in all forms
High GI foods, white bread and stuff
Yeast
Dairy, except for yogurt
Fruit

and, if that doesn't help, to exclude gluten

He also sold me some pills:
Some herbal meds with cinnamon etc that were supposed to kill the Candida
Probiotics
Enzymes, to help digestion

I have Googled Candida and I agree on the "diagnosis", but I'm at the same time always a bit suspicious of people who want to sell me a load of stuff.
I have followed the diet and take the pills for two weeks and feel slightly better. I plan on following the diet until Christmas.

So, what do y'all think? Have you heard of Candida over growth before? Could it be something else?
My friend who studies medicine was a bit skeptical of the whole idea...

chachaheels
Coela, if the capsule form is upsetting, you should know that omega 3's and 6's come in liquid forms of all kinds.
It's important that you take them in some form where the oils are fresh and intact, unaltered (unless they are fish oils, in which you want oils that have been purified from heavy metals). Good brands to look for are NutraSea, Carlson, and again, Efalex (for the combinations). Please don't just take omega 3's on their own...take the 6's as well.

Flax seed oil and cod liver oil (the very pure kind, which is available with lemon flavouring) are both great sources of Omega 3's (I prefer the cod liver oil, though, because it is so much healthier for organ function, and it's loaded with really good vitamin A and D, which are vital to good health....Flax doesn't have these nutrients and we desperately need them). Evening Primrose oil is also available in a liquid form. You'd be taking spoonfuls of oils every day (which people often do, mixed with fresh squeezed orange juice for example) and the oils would have to be kept cold. There are alternatives to this as well: Genestra Seroyal makes a series of omega fatty acid blends that come in fruit matrixes, such as Fruit EFA. They include all kinds of essential fatty acids in a fruit base, and come in flavours like mango/banana, blackberry (which is pretty good! and probably best with the oils involved). These also have to be kept cold, but they do the job nicely.

Another alternative is to take the EFA capsules made for children, as these are often much smaller. You'd take more per day to get the same dose, but the smaller size is easier on your gag reflex. Health Food stores often have sample packets of these products (Carlson's brand makes a child version and they supply their retailers with sample packets of these capsules so you can give them a shot before buying them).

Vitamins and mineral supplements can indeed cause headaches, simply because of the bases used to enclose the nutrients. All of the cheap brands of supplements and many of the very expensive brands as well use a lot of magnesium stearate to make the pill form up: well, this stearate doesn't melt at degrees lower than 130 F or so--and your body temperature will never climb that high. This stearate encloses the nutrients in your pill, but if it can't melt, there's no way your body can use the nutrients the supplement is supposed to deliver.

I've often found that some supplement lines will produce symptoms in my patients, and if I suspect that, I'll ask them to do an elimination test, where they stop using everything for a couple of weeks and then gradually begin to add the supplements back into their diets, one by one. When we find the return of the symptoms, we know that the last added supplement must be the one to cause them, and we can replace that supplement with one that doesn't cause any. You might want to try this yourself to see which of the formulations you're using seems to cause the headaches.

Swedishchick, I'm really skeptical of any diagnosis that comes from a retailer, and not from someone who is highly trained in specific forms of alternative health care. And then, I'm suspicious of even these people if they "communicate" the diagnosis. I'd have wanted to know if you'd seen a specialist to rule out any other kind of possibility in terms of causes for your symptoms (such as serious disease). And if you'd noticed any correlation between the foods you're eating and the symptoms you're experiencing in your gut. Often these symptoms indicate an inability to absorb nutrients (on a biochemical level). Often they indicate that something else in your life is causing your physical pain: and the symptoms will only disappear once these other problems are addressed.

I'm also very very aware that there are a huge number of Naturopaths and holistic nutritionists out there who immediately conclude that everyone they see has Candida overgrowth because they've got skin symptoms or digestive symptoms or problems with aches and pains and energy levels. I think the diagnosis is unsound, personally; there are many people who are susceptible to fungal overgrowths of all kind but the Candida protocols being touted to everyone out there just seem scientifically backwards to me. And, yes, one can conveniently sell someone with "Candida" overgrowth quite a lot of junk right off the bat. When I was very young and naive and working for a naturopath, I was "diagnosed" with Candida and the "treatment", at cost because I was staff, still cost over $500 to start, and came with an impossible diet that doesn't even make sense in terms of proper nutrition. Should I tell you what the outcome of that experience was? No change.

So: if you see a "cause and effect" between specific foods, make note of them. When are these symptoms at their worst? (before eating? after eating? how long after eating? any particular time of day?) What eases the symptoms for you? What have you noticed makes them worse?

It's quite possible that you could need to treat a yeast infection, and you could do that with pre and probiotic supplement that is extremely high in microorganisms to "restore" that upset balance of yeast organisms and human microflora as a start. You could also add some capsules of oregano oil for a week or two to help eliminate the overgrowth as well...but if there is something else at work, these won't actually change the symptoms completely.

As for dietary changes, the anti-Candida diet idiotically restricts foods which are vital to restoring the microbial health to your gut and body, such as all lacto-fermented foods (naturally lactofermented pickles, sauerkraut, kvasses and kombucha teas; cheeses made from raw milk, and, most importantly, butter made from unpasteurized cream, which is high in antifungal properties). It's great to eliminate processed foods and refined sugars and flours, but you will never overcome "candida" eating brown rice and yeast free bread, no matter how hard you try (and it's impossible to live in the real world with this diet).

pepper
*loves chacha*

you know, when i was diagnosed with ibs i ate nothing but raw food for two months, did the master cleanse fast and went for a colonic. ta da! symptoms magically disappeared. if i eat a crappy diet my belly gets rumbly but it's never come back like that again.
coela
chachaheels, wow, that was a LOT of information! Thank you! I'll try to find liquid omega-3.
Im not living in the US, so the brands will probably not be the same ones as you mentioned.

Very interesting to hear about the magnesium stearate! I had no idea.

It was also VERY interesting to read your thoughts on Candida overgrowth. I've been wondering
about how worried I ought to be - according to press lately it seems like just about everyone has it.
It just seems slightly hysterical.

Re: unpasteurized milk - isn't that dangerous? I remember I saw unpasteurized milk being sold in the store
a couple of years ago, but only as "for cats", since it's illegal to sell unpasteurized dairy products here, because of the
TBC risk and all. My dad, who is a veterinarian, is very much against anything "unpasteurized" and gets very upset
and starts talking about poor people, old times, the progress of science and horrible diseases.

chachaheels
Well, unpasteurized milk has been the big boogey man for conventional medicine since TB broke out in the turn of the last century...but for 900 years before that it was consumed not only without incident, but with great benefit. We don't pasteurize mother's milk...yet...but I guess formula was supposed to be the scientific boon to replace that "inferior" food. Seems clear to anyone who would care to look that the social upheaval caused by the industrial revolution, a massive economic failure causing severe hunger, overcrowding and poor life conditions in cities not built to handle such a transition (so people had no sanitation, food, or clean water to drink) would have had a lot more to do with the virulence of TB over a hundred years ago than milk.

Case in point: TB's rampant again, predominantly in places like Asia, where we're seeing the same kind of social upheaval and economic upset that took place over a hundred years ago in Europe (lots of people being shoved off farms and into very crowded cities, with no means to sanitation, food, or improved quality of life). TB is a disease which also spreads when people in that kind of oppression must move out of their conditions in order to stay alive (and the travel exposes others who are just as oppressed). But we have pasteurized everything now, except in many European countries like France, Italy, Spain, Germany, etc. etc. (where diseases caused by pasteurized and homogenized dairy just aren't so prevalent as they are here).

So, we know what your dad thinks, maybe you should do a little research on your own. There is a lot of independently funded research (that is, not paid for by milk marketing boards or pharmaceutical companies with huge stakes in drugging cows and milk products) that's sound science too. Start here:

www.westonaprice.org

and check out their links for raw milk. Then you can formulate your own conclusions about the food and decide whether or not it's something you want in your diet.

Some people also do very well with options like Pepper's, to eat a diet of raw foods (raw foods are a necessary component in all cultural traditions...including raw meats in the vast majority of them). Raw foods contain many of their enzymes in an intact state so that you actually benefit from having them present in the foods (and you don't need to supplement with digestive enzymes because your food's been processed).
coela
chachaheels - Point taken, although I think your answer was unnecessarily belittling and snarky.

QUOTE(chachaheels @ Nov 27 2007, 11:44 AM) *
So, we know what your dad thinks, maybe you should do a little research on your own. There is a lot of independently funded research (that is, not paid for by milk marketing boards or pharmaceutical companies with huge stakes in drugging cows and milk products) that's sound science too.

As I said, it's illegal to sell unpasteurized dairy where I live, and the research behind that was conducted
by the board of agriculture, funded by taxes, and not by the evil pharmaceutical companies or the milk industry.
It wasn't really a case of "my dad said so". I can of course form another opinion based on other facts, but
at this point, I dont really have one. That is why I asked.

swedishchick
chachaheels

Interesting input.

As with Coela, unpasteurized dairy products are not sold here because of legal restrictions (I think she's from the same place as me).

I have tried to find some kind of correlation between what I eat and the way my stomach behaves. No luck with that. Sometimes it gets better when I travel, sometimes worse. I've tried eliminating lactose and gluten with no luck. The doctors have examined me, so there's no "real" illness as far as they're concerned.

Anyway, things are slowly getting better, so I guess I'll stick with this for a while to see what happens.

I think the herbal pills I take include oregano.

I wish I could afford seeing a naturopath, but I'm unemployed at the moment. I also don't know a good one and some of my friends have had bad experiences with naturopaths just trying to sell them a crap load of pills. So forgive me for being on the skeptical side... But if this diet doesn't help me I will definitely have to find someone who can help me.

Thanks!
chachaheels
Coela, it wasn't an insult, it was an invitation to do some more research. Yes, the pharmaceutical companies and other vested interests are the ones who insist on laws regarding pasteurization. Even if it looks otherwise. Governments are paid by lobby groups in these major industries to enact laws which protect their interests: this is what takes place all over North America. Pasteurized and unpasteurized, the choice is up to you: but if you want to be able to eat dairy and digest it, you'll need it in its natural form-with all it's fats unmodified or distorted, and with all it's nutrients, enzymes, and microbial colonies in place.

As for the legality of the raw milk, there are legal farm share and animal share agreements which allow for the production and distribution of raw milk, cream, butter, and cheeses all over the world where pasteurization is imposed, including in North America. The supposed big scare about raw milk now has to do with the occurence of salmonella: it happens so rarely on a national scale (and since it's always tested before being distributed, the milk is not sold or distributed). It's far, far, far more typical for foods like orange juice, poultry, and meat products to have salmonella (a conservative estimate I've heard is that you can expect the chicken, eggs, and meat products you buy to have salmonella, so cook them thoroughly). Since these foods are widely sold and they're contaminated, and r aw milk is constantly tested and not distributed if there is any sign of salmonella, I wonder just how much of a threat it is.

Sorry if I gave offense, I truly didn't mean to: just meant to encourage you to keep searching out other information before drawing conclusions.
chachaheels
Swedish chick, I meant have you noticed that when you eat certain foods, certain symptoms appear....

for example, does the whole symptom picture get worse when you have foods that are hot? Foods that are spicy? Foods like eggs? Dairy? Sweets? Certain vegetables (like broccoli, cabbage, cauliflower?)

Do you eat and then notice the symptoms getting worse as soon as you start eating? Or do things get worse a little later (like, a couple of hours after you eat)?

Does lying down make you feel better when the symptoms come on? Running around? Sitting? Other things you might do?

If you do decide to stick to the yeast diet, don't follow the information about eating basically a ton of brown rice and yeast free foods. You have to have some proteins (eggs, meats, fish) and your veggies have to be the green ones (no carbohydrate rich ones). Nuts are susceptible to mold and yeast so you can't have those; seeds are okay though; berries are about the only fruits which you can eat safely but most of these are also susceptible to mold growth, so pick carefully.

Avoid all sugars and as many carbohydrates as possible, even fruits and all unrefined carbs (beans as well). A high protein version of this diet, with proper fats (coconut oils, omega 3, 6, and 9 fatty acids as a supplement, and an acidophilus bifidus pre-and pro biotic formulation with more than 12 billion organisms per dose, on a daily basis, will help a great deal.

Adding lactofermented foods like kombucha, beet kvass that you can make yourself from whey and fresh beets and water, pickles and sauerkraut will also really make a huge difference. Many people swear by taking other fungal supplements: chinese mushrooms such as the Reishi are big sellers in the treatment of fungal overgrowths of all kinds.

And if you're using oregano oil, make sure it's the purest wildcrafted, potent form there is, and don't use it longer than a week or two (after that your body will simply no longer respond to it). Don't take a form that's mixed with anything else, either, as it will not be effective.

Oh, it also helps if you use a high fibre food or drink at least twice daily, since you'll be "purging" dead yeast from the gut. Psyllium fibre is what most NDs recommend.
swedishchick
OK, That's really tricky... I think the old stomach/bowels don't like:

Spicy food, like curries *sob*
Too much coffee, one cup a day is maximum
Alcohol
Sugar

Eggs, dairy, veggies... I would have to say no on that one. Don't notice any difference.

The worst symptoms occur about 30-60 minutes after dinner or when I've been stressed. You could say that the bloatiness after meals occur on a daily basis, whereas the pain in the upper regions (the stomach) occur when I've been stressed. If that happens, it definitely helps to lie down and relax. I also feel that the bloatiness gets slightly better if I exercise properly.

I don't eat meat... but I try to eat a lot of fish and eggs.
When I eat carbs I try to eat slow ones, like whole grain, boiled wheat, quinoa etc...

I'll look into the Omega 3, 6 and 9 supplement, the lacto fermented foods and a high fibre drink... Oh, and coconut oil... The peanut butter and coconut mix Fiddler was talking about sounds yummy!

You are so very helpful!!! Thank you!

I'll report back again soon.
laniethezany

Just a tidbit about the raw milk issue - my best friend buys all her dairy products - unpasteurized - from an Amish farmer not too far from where she lives, and no one in her family ever seems to have gotten sick from consuming them.

I have a question while I'm here, too. Does anyone have some tips for me on where to start with checking out natural alternatives to hormone replacement therapy? I was diagnosed with premature ovarian failure when I was 28 (I'm now 34), and I'm definitely feeling the effects of the lack of estrogen. My sister is an ob-gyn so she's always on my case to take Prempro or something similar, but I'm just wary of it for some reason.

I have the number of a homeopath who comes highly recommended, but I'm waiting until after the first of the year to see her so it will count on next year's deductible for health insurance. I just like to have some basic knowledge going in.
chachaheels
QUOTE(laniethezany @ Nov 28 2007, 10:27 AM) *

Just a tidbit about the raw milk issue - my best friend buys all her dairy products - unpasteurized - from an Amish farmer not too far from where she lives, and no one in her family ever seems to have gotten sick from consuming them.

I have a question while I'm here, too. Does anyone have some tips for me on where to start with checking out natural alternatives to hormone replacement therapy? I was diagnosed with premature ovarian failure when I was 28 (I'm now 34), and I'm definitely feeling the effects of the lack of estrogen. My sister is an ob-gyn so she's always on my case to take Prempro or something similar, but I'm just wary of it for some reason.

I have the number of a homeopath who comes highly recommended, but I'm waiting until after the first of the year to see her so it will count on next year's deductible for health insurance. I just like to have some basic knowledge going in.

Some basic knowledge about homeopathic medicine:

you could read Dr. Jacob Mirman's great little booklet, called Demystifying Homeopathy, here. Just go to the link "the book online" and it's all there, very well described so that you can go in well informed.

Other great sources of information about Homeopathy:

http://www.homeopathy.org/
and
www.homeopathic.org

It's very different from all other kinds of medicine, including all the other alternatives, but it really works if it's done right.
I think it's a very good option for restoring your body's health without using hormones of any kind.

Good luck!
konphusion26
Has anyone ever used colloidal silver to treat infections???? I want to try it-- i'm kinda at wits end right now. Any ideas? What about bee propolis?
pepper
i've been using it for my cat's congunctivitis but it is Not working. we are back to the antibiotic drops.

what's your infection?

(it's conjunc, but in their case really con-gunk! ha.)
konphusion26
QUOTE(pepper @ Nov 29 2007, 09:07 AM) *
i've been using it for my cat's congunctivitis but it is Not working. we are back to the antibiotic drops.

what's your infection?

(it's conjunc, but in their case really con-gunk! ha.)

Its BV... again... for what seems like the 500th time. Already tried the BV board. The antibiotics the doc gives are only a temporary fix. It always comes right back, and a yeastie with it. So I have been looking into different herbal and natural remedies for this mess. I'm willing to try about anything at this point LOL
pepper
you know, this has come up here before and chacha gave her usual amazing advice. it would be worth it to scroll through the archives a bit and see what she had to say. there are posts in more than one place so keep looking.
good luck, i know it's frustrating.

hey chacha, that first link didn't work for me.
coela
chachaheels - Ok, then I misinterpreted you. Thank you for all your information! You've been very helpful.
chachaheels
Ooops!!

Here is Dr. Mirman's booklet's link:

Demystifying Homeopathy

if you can't get there from here, try this link:
http://www.bookonhealing.com/ (cut and paste the link into the address box) and then click on "next" at the bottom of the page to start reading.

It's the best introduction I know of ...the best way for a patient to go into homeopathic treatment with basic knowledge of what's involved, what to expect from the process and the practitioner, what it is they'll be taking as medicine, and how they can use this information to make the treatment as effective as possible.

gluelita
hey all, i don't know if anyone would know this and i should probably ask my dr but he is on vacation. i'm not supposed to drink grapefruit juice or eat grapefruit due to the interaction with certain meds. so, i'm wondering, what about grapefruit essential oil in bath and skin products? it is supposed to absorb through the skin, right? i would think it would be too little to cause issues, but maybe not...i looked elsewhere online but didn't find anything about this specific thing. anyway, ideas would be appreciated. just wondering how cautious i need to be. thanks.
pepper
ah man, this is nearly falling off the page.

alrighty, here's one... little girl has a dry patch on her hand from thumb sucking. obviously i can't put anything on it that isn't edible but i have been rubbing on some coconut oil here and there. is there anything that i can eat that will help out her skin? anything else i can put on there? she's not having much food yet, just tastes here and there so nothing heavy by mouth.
i should just rub some booby juice on it, that's my cure-all for everything these days. straight from the medicine "chest" ha ha.
chachaheels
Pepper! Booby juice is a very effective cure for a lot of things that afflict babies. Things that aren't very serious--like a blocked tear duct, skin rashes, etc. (though a dose of homeopathic silica in a 30c potency is far, far quicker at eliminating the tear duct block).

The only thing that really helps skin health is eating fat--and if you're eating cocoanut oil regularly (I know you don't eat meat) then all I'd suggest (if you're not already eating it) is getting the right amounts of omega 3 and 6 fatty acids from oils like flax seed and olive oil.

Aside from that, I'd suggest taking a daily dose of Calc Fluor 6x and Calc Phos 6x tissue salts while you're nursing to ensure your baby girl gets all the support she needs for perfect bone and tooth formation, as well as all the nutrients for building healthy skin and hair. You can make a little bit of cream from the coconut oil and a crushed tablet of the calc. fluor 6x to apply to the dry patch on her hand and it should heal very quickly--it's also safe for her if she eats it while sucking her thumb.

Gluelita: I think the restriction on grapefruit juice with particular prescription drugs has more to do with acidity than anything else, so using the essential oil of grapefruit (usually made from the plant itself as a reaction to challenges it faces, or as an attractant) shouldn't interfere.
pepper
coolio ladee, thanks for the advice. i've got some of those tabs around from the pregonancy, i'll start taking them again and make her a little crushy-cream. and i'm sucking back the EFA's daily, never you fear. fish oil caps, flax seed oil, hemp hearts, etc. it's all good. i can uppy the dosage of those things too though, they keep me feeling pretty good.

i'm thinking of drinking a little valerian tea, i'm restless and up way too late way too often. that should be fine if i do it after i put her down for the night eh? there's a pretty big stretch of time between nursings then. she's a good sleeper.
chachaheels
Have you used the valerian before, successfully?

It's a plant that causes a kind of jumpy, restless nervousness, with a lot of anxiety. It's got a kind of false reputation as a sleep inducer because it can calm people with those symptoms (works on the law of similars, after all) but if your restlessness and sleeplessness is not an anxious and jumpy one, you'll probably do better with other options. What does your restlessness and sleeplessness "feel" like? Are you staying up late thinking about things, with all kinds of creative ideas? Are you staying up worrying? Are you just feeling energized a little too late?

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.