Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: You make me feel like a natural-ly health woman! (Alternative medicine thread)
The BUST Lounge > Forums > Our Bodies, Our Hells
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15
pepper
i dunno, i guess i have a lot to do right now and doing it and thinking about doing it keeps me up. my mind seems full of thought at night, i wake up a lot and not from dreaming about dreamy things, i'm dreaming my lists. i get tired pretty early but it's too early for me to go to sleep so i stay up later and always catch a second wind that lasts and lasts. last night i looked up at the clock and it was 2AM! i was having some salad 'cause i'd gotten hungry. pft. ridiculous.

i can't complain about this until i get some things routine. like not eating so late. like actually having breakfast before 11AM. like getting some regular exercise every day (hand sewing does NOT count towards exercise!). how can i expect anything to happen at the right time if i don't make it so? sheesh.
as if my mommy's going to come over every night and tell me it's time for teeth and jammies. i gotta grow up over here!

N, you should see the stuff i've been making lately though. is it Ever fun! no wonder i can't sleep, it's the only time i have to myself to do crafts! little girl likes to fall asleep for naps in my lap and then she wakes if i put her down. so i sit here at the computer holding her for half hours at a time (like right now actually) and then the work piles up. i was washing dishes at 1AM, that's what kept my up last night!

oh yes, and valerian has never worked for me really but i've never actually used it properly either. this is a blend with other relaxing herbs so it probably isn't very strong or anything. if i would just give it a try the ritual might be enough to help me wander off to la la land.
chachaheels
You're right, you do need to at least give setting up a routine you can live with and follow a try. I would love to see what you're making, and I bet you're really dreaming of some creative ideas for more projects....which to me sort of signifies you need something better than the valerian. But, I'd give it a try if that's what you have handy...and you're lucky and it works, perhaps a ritual of tea to soothe you at night would be a lovely thing to get used to.

My other suggestion would be to use a very low potency of homeopathic coffea cruda, in a potency like a 6c or 12 c or something low like that (a number less than 30c). Tell tale signs of the need for coffea are the active mind keeping you awake (particularly with all the things you're going to do, and how you'll do them) and other creative thoughts which fuel your energy (which then fuel more creative thoughts). A little dose should be fine for you if you take it before bedtime, and your little girl will probably not get any when you feed her.

Send Pix!!! xox!
coela

chachaheels,
I posted about 2 months ago about my dry skin, and just wanted to say how much it has improved lately.
I never found liquid omega3 anywhere, but I've been eating fatty fish 3 times per week or more and installed
a program on my computer to help me understand my eating habits and nutritional status better. Based on
that I've been keeping a food diary and adjusted my diet accordingly for 5 weeks, keeping all nutritients,
minerals and vitamins at 100% or slightly higher. My skin has improved a lot already! The problem patches
like my elbows are still very, very dry and cracked but I hope they will improve too, in time.

The weird thing is, I thought I ate "good" food, like lots of vegetables, fruit and fish, but obviously I still missed
out on nutritients. I don't plan on keeping a food diary for the rest of my life, but just for a couple of
months, and then maybe on and off from time to time, to get me started. And I feel a lot better overall,
so it's not just my skin that has improved!

chachaheels
Hi Coela,

I'm so glad things are improving significantly.

Whenever I hear about skin complaints like dryness and scaliness, I always thing of a fat deficiency in the diet. Most of us have been so conned into believing that fats are bad for us, when in fact they are so necessary, that we pace back and forth eating what we think are good foods and wonder why we're not benefiting. The bottom line: fats are the body's most necessary food, without them we simply don't get the most efficiently utilized nutrients and we cannot benefit from the nutrients to be found in other foods (like all those vitamins and minerals in greens and other veggies--that's why they've been traditionally served with animal fats especially, in almost every culture and cuisine, for hundreds of years).

One really great fat to add to the diet is a pure form of coconut oil, especially for skin health. An expeller pressed, organic, extra virgin coconut oil does wonders for boosting the immune system, aiding metabolism, balancing hormones, keeping skin moist and healthy, and generally helping your body use the nutrients found in many other foods. It's delicious too, and really does help keep skin glowing.

Other great tips for omega 3 and 6 fatty acids: make sure you add fats to foods for maximum nutrient gain--salmon served with sour cream and dill, for example, helps you absorb the benefits of the fish nutrients well; bitter greens such as kale, dandelion, collards, bok choi, broccoli rabe, etc,--have all been cooked traditionally with bacon or pork fat of some kind, garlic, butter for flavour, and something acidic---like lemon juice, or vinegars of some kind (balsamic can work exceptionally well). You'll absorb more of the calcium, vitamins A and B, and other trace minerals much more effectively (and the greens will taste very good too). They don't have to be overcooked, just "wilted" in the pan with a little bit of the fat from the bacon (or butter, or lard, or even a favourite oil--spinach tastes great wilted in sesame oil, for example).

It's good to know you're feeling much improved all around...and hopefully, you're enjoying your food so much more too.

kiss_the_fiddler
Yikes! I need help, gals. Several years ago, I sustained a 3rd degree chemical burn across my boobs and chest. I lots all the skin off my nipples and areolae and much of the skin on the underside of my breasts. I healed without skin grafts.

Now I'm pregnant and am experiencing extreme pain in my nipples. It feels very much like the burn felt. My nipples have freak-outs several times a day where they are in extreme pain, enough to stop my in my tracks and gasp for breath. They turn white during these episodes and are quite hot to the touch. After they're white, they turn a dark purple and then just red and slowly the pain subsides. After these episodes, my chest area all the way to my underarms aches and feels sore. One of the things that causes these episodes if cold air, like causes regular old nipping out. This is extreme nipping out. And hurts to hell and back.

Anyone have ideas as to how to help? Chacha? Do you have any ideas? Shiny suggested that I treat it as I'd treat a burn with intact skin - to use ground comfrey, lavender, and raw honey on my poor nipples. Any other ideas? Please share your wisdom with me.

fiddler
pepper
oh honey, i'm so sorry! that sounds dreadfully painful. i don't think any of those suggestions are going to hurt and they might help so try them out at least. is there anything that gives you any relief at all? any sort of massage or topical treatment that you used prior to the pregancy when you were healing from the burn? remember that during pregnancy the breasts change so much and it can be uncomfortable and even painful for a woman who hasn't sustained a burn so some of this is probably just from normal swelling and hormonal sensitivity and it may calm down a bit as that levels out *fingers crossed*.
i wonder if there is a treatment to stretch burned skin. what is done if the burn is on an area that must flex like a knee or fingers? that might be something to think about.
hopefully someone will have some suggestions for you.
will you be able to nurse at all or is that out of the question?
kiss_the_fiddler
I bet what I'm experiencing is the nipple version of Raynaud's. A coupla years ago, I walked around with white or purple and very painful hands and toes all the time for no good reason. I looked it up. It sounds very similar only it's called vasospasm of the nipple.
fiddler
chachaheels
Homeopathically I would choose a remedy that I would have used for you when t he burn turn place (even though so much time has passed, the "change" in the body's dynamic took place when that trauma happened...and it is that event's effects which must be treated). It also sounds to me as though the tissue in your breasts is actually healing itself--revisiting that old trauma and "starting" the healing process over again from that time. Sounds crazy, but it's been known to take place, especially since the breast tissue is starting to changing and regenerating now because of the pregnancy (they are preparing to take over the job of the placenta, once the baby's born...which makes trying to heal the old damage very likely).

Not that you now have to endure it, now, just cause it's happening: you can help it along and lessen some of that pain.

There are a couple of remedies used to treat first aid burns of various degrees: I would use one of them in a low potency on a daily basis, possibly a dose put in a bottle of water so that you can take a teaspoon of it every day or every couple of hours as needed to speed along the changes you want to see take place.

The two remedies I'm thinking of are cantharis and causticum, in potencies like a 12 c or 30 c. Causticum is particularly good for burns with tissue that has failed to heal, and cantharis is particularly good for painful burns. Both are applicable for chemical burns; I'd try the causticum first (if it does take the pain away, you'll know to stick with it, and if it doesn't, try the cantharis instead).

Try putting a pellet of the causticum in about 8 oz. of water (use a glass bottle, if you can) and allowing it to dissolve. Cover the bottle up and shake it fifty times to succuss the remedy in the water, then take a teaspoon dose every hour or so when you feel the pain start. You can repeat dose with the remedy this way many times without fear of taking too much.

The water dosing method lets you know when to stop taking the remedy all together. If it's working, you'll feel relief and continue to improve on the remedy. If, after feeling improved, you take a dose and all the pain symptoms come back, you know that that is all the remedy you need: stop dosing, and you will find that the pain will resolve quickly, and improvements will continue to take place without any further medicine.

Hope this helps! It would be nice to be able to breast feed, wouldn't it? It's funny, I was thinking about you and wondering how your pregnancy is coming along. And then you posted here!
kiss_the_fiddler
chacha,
thanks so much!
fiddler
chachaheels
You're welcome, Fiddler! I really hope this eases the pain.

I know you're enduring a lot right now, but think of it this way: your body wants you to be able to nurse a baby when it's finally here, so that's what all this is about.

kiss_the_fiddler
Well, something that I'm doing seems to be helping. Not sure what it is but I'll take it.

One thing I'm doing is wearing a very padded bra. I walk around feeling like Xena, Warrior Princess all day. That's okay. I think Lucy Lawless is hot. It helps if my nipps are more protected than a softer cup provides.

fiddler
loverufus
hey everyone,

i've posted this in the pregnancy thread and then was directed here by fiddler, who thought i might get some answers (esp from chachaheels - and i was around here a while ago (for a few years under other names) and i remember chacha being particularly knowledgable in these areas) - thanks again!

i'm 12 weeks pregnant and have read that elderberry juice is not recommended during pregnancy. but if it's in things - like fruit juices and fruit bars (like regular dole and sunrype products - of which i've been scarfing down many) - that should be okay right? i'm assuming that it might be like the herbs that we should stay away from in potent doses but in food they're okay? just curious.

also, while i'm here, i'll ask about flax seeds. when i mentioned to the doctor that i was trying to get pregnant, i told her i was taking flax seed oil capsules (i find they help with regularity). she told me to stop taking them because they can cause adverse reactions. anyway, so i stopped. but occasionally i will have bread or waffles with flax seeds - again, this should be okay, right? i've heard other pregnant women talk about "even having flax bread" as if it were something we should not be eating.

and finally, a question i feel most silly for asking, but nevertheless, might as well. (i worry pretty much about everything, and with the pregnancy, all these worries get heightened!) yesterday i used antiperspirant that was quite expired (i've now since thrown the stick out) - for one day - probably not going to harm the baby, right? i had forgot to put some on in the morning and it was the only thing i had in my bag. just wondering if the rate of absorption or whatever...would cause any harm. or if the fact that it's expired somehow makes it...bad? again, i feel slightly silly for asking this (and didn't realize how old it was until after the fact).

sorry this is so lengthy. i appreciate any feedback anyone has! oh - and i would be asking all of these questions to my doctor - but i don't see her for another 2 weeks. and rather than worry about it for that amount of time...

thanks!
pepper
relax.
do not use those things medicinally, as in a regular measured dose repeatedly, if you are worried. but don't stress yourself out over such little stuff. the stress is worse than anything else for you and it's totally needless.
if a slice of flax seed bread had the power to interfere with pregnancy there would be no people on this planet.
don't let your worry get out of hand, you really have to do a LOT to upset a pregnancy. you are safe.

as for antipersperant, one use of anything is negligable BUT antipersperant is a horrible product all around. switch to a deodorant stick instead of one that stops you from sweating. your body needs to sweat, it's a highly important function.

maybe lovely chacha will come by and give you her take on all of that. dat grrl is da bomb!
coela

QUOTE(loverufus @ Feb 13 2008, 03:21 PM) *
yesterday i used antiperspirant that was quite expired (i've now since thrown the stick out) - for one day - probably not going to harm the baby, right? i had forgot to put some on in the morning and it was the only thing i had in my bag. just wondering if the rate of absorption or whatever...would cause any harm. or if the fact that it's expired somehow makes it...bad?

If anything, it is probably less harmful for your baby if you use an expired antiperspirant than if you use a fresh one.
The reason why there's sometimes an expiration date on deodorants is because:

1) The active ingredient eventually loses efficiency, by crystalizing or settling
2) The stick dries out (or is expected to dry out)
3) The fragrance becomes altered over time and possibly stinky

So there you have it. If you feel your antiperspirant isn't working or smells bad,
chuck it, otherwise you can use it up. :-)

If you're still worried, use an antiperspirant without aluminum chlorhydrate. There are many different brands.

loverufus
thanks pepper.

i've always been a worrier and it's just those little nagging things/thoughts that bother me. and most often - it's letting it out and having someone else tell me "relax and don't worry about that" and then i feel better. my husband is great at it, thank goodness.

as for the antiperspirant, i know it's horrible. i've been using it for years and think i will switch to a deodorant. there's a health food store near where i work and i think i'll stop in today and see if they have any natural deodorants. so - before i worry about that - being pregnant, is there any product i should stay away from in that department?

thanks so much for your time reading my posts!
chachaheels
Loverufus, I think the issue with Elderberry is actually with the medicinal parts of the plant, which have traditionally been the flowers, the bark, and shoots and leaves. The bark has Viburnic acid, the same ingredient that makes Valerian medicinal. It's chief medicinal effect is to cause spasm (which means, used homeopathically, it can calm spasm when it takes place, so it's often used in pregnancy and birthing).

The berries, however, would only have trace amounts, if any, of this substance. They've been made into wine for centuries, and used as a pie filling for about as long, too. Sambucus tinctures on the market now probably use the juice from the berries as a flavouring agent, but they don't seem to be the mechanism delivering the medicinal punch. I think you ought not to worry about the elderberry juice so much, and instead just ensure you're getting the benefits from having a variety of fruits and fruit juices in your diet; fruits themselves over the fruit juices, just because they add fibre to the diet as well as water, without the same amounts of sugar as juice.

I can't repeat this enough, but asking a doctor about nutritional advice is like asking an oil driller about menstrual cycles. Chances are there may be a minority in the group who could tell you something about them--but overall, the information isn't necessary in what they do primarily, so they won't know anything at all about it. Same with doctors: conventional medicine doesn't believe nutrition is at all a factor in health, so the vast majority of doctors know less than the average primary school aged child about it. Save your questions about nutrition for an expert in nutrition, seek out advice from someone who's actually spent a good deal of time learning about it---the equivalent of what a doctor might spend learning about pharmaceuticals, let's say. Which happens to be about 5 years. You should know that the vast majority of doctors receive about 10 hours of training in nutrition during their basic medical education--and this training in nutrition is usually strictly about chemistry and macronutrients. Not about specific foods or diets.

Whole flax seeds added to whole grain cereal can help keep you regular, yes. Flax seed oil added to the diet has another set of benefits entirely, and is good thing to have in your diet if you're a vegetarian or vegan who is pregnant or planning to become pregnant (it's a good source of omega 3 fatty acids, vital to the development of the brain in the developing fetus). You should be taking a balanced omega fatty acid complex during your pregnancy, by all means. Flax and oil of evening primrose EFA combos are great for alleviating stress for mom, supporting the whole reproductive system, supporting all of mom's organs and hormone balances, and providing nutrients which help everything in the fetal development take place optimally. There are EFA complexes on the market for pregnant and lactating women which are focused on omega 3 fatty acids primarily...and they're (a little misguided, in my opinion, but still) okay; I prefer ones that add the right omega 6 fatty acids as well, because when these fats are present the omega 3's have an effect on prostaglandin and hormone production and balance. Look for a combo like that as a very good support throughout the pregnancy and afterwards. One I like to use is Efanatal, by Efalex, which doens't contain flax as the omega 3 source, and instead uses fish oil (which, I hate to say it, is superior for brain development). I put patients who hope to become pregnant on prenatal vitamin and mineral supplements and fatty acid supplements before they become pregnant so everything that is necessary for a healthy, happy pregnancy is in place when conception occurs.

I'm with Pepper on the whole antiperspirant thing, you really, really do need to sweat. Deodorants can be as simple as a baking soda/water mix, if you want to make something up yourself. Some variations on this basic recipe include adding a kind of stabilizing fat (so you can use the mix as a solid) and some essential oils, like lavender. But there are a huge number of safe, pleasant deodorants you can use on the market.

Pepper, you are so sweet and so kind! I loves you!!!

Fiddla, I'm happy you're feeling better, no matter what's bringing it about.
pepper
i wub you too chachariffic!

hey, i just thought... you know i don't love lush products BUT their deodorant is ok. it only has one heinous ingredient in it but it's a common one that is in a lot of things and no one else seems to have a problem with it except for us health freaks so... go for it. it's not going to hurt you or the baby and they have a few good smelling kinds.

chacha, i am still taking so much fish oil, oy. the hemp is still my favourite though, the seeds are so tasty!
chachaheels
I know how good the hemp seeds are!! So you should be eating those too--because they're so delicious.

When my mother was very young she used hemp to make fabrics (I have this incredible hand made set of bed sheets made out of hemp--I think my grandmother made it for her trousseau, of hemp she spun and wove into linens herself), ropes, and food, it grew everywhere when she was a girl and everyone used it. The seeds on bread with a little fresh olive oil was a real treat. She'd tell us these stories about how good they were, and my brother and I would laugh at laugh at my mom eating marijuana seeds on bread and enjoying them. She'd shake her head and say, "my children are idiots", because we were so quick to dismiss the idea. Later, when I got a chance to try them cause they were in a health food store, I thought about my mother and how right she actually was. So now I bring them to her all the time. I love adding them to plain yogurt with a little bit of chopped dried fruit (my favourite lately is chopped up dried figs) and slivered almonds or chopped hazelnuts.
pepper
mmm, hempy goodness...

girl, my innie-sides are upsetted again. for the past few nights i have been experiencing bouts of gut rumbling irritable lower belly business. it's been a while since the ibs reared it's ugly head but here it is making me gassy and uncomfortable. whatty what what is this all about?
i'm sometimes up late with the mildish insomnia, no alcohol or caffeine, sometimes i am eating later but it doesn't seem to matter if i do or don't, my diet is not the greatest (for me) but still miles beyond the typical. still mostly veg, very little dairy, lots of fruit and salad, some veggie soups with barley or beans or teeny weeny pasta stars and letters (is it the alphabet in there, spelling out a revolt?). flax and olive oils, hemp seeds when i have them.
i am eating way, way more bread than i ever have before (i usually don't eat it really at all) and i am mostly skipping breakfast or at least waiting until later on (10-11-ish).
i'm taking a prenatal multi 3x's daily, fish oil, sometimes a digestive enzyme, iron in the evening and calcium at bedtime. i am not taking it right now but i do have some high end probiotic powder in the fridge and also some liquid chlorophyll that i could take more of. plus the coconut oil but i still don't know what to put that stuff in! i just eat a bit here and there. i have to start making a smoothie with it and that protein powder i have in the freezer. that will take care of breakfast anyhow.

and i am way skinny right now too, the baby is taking all that i got. except the gas. ugh.
loverufus
wow, chacha and pepper, thank you so much for all the helpful information! smile.gif

i bought a stick of deodorant yesterday and though i know it'll take a little time to get used to it, i think i eventually will.

so, right now i'm just taking a regular life brand prenatal vitamin. i don't take an omega supplement (and i'm going to try not to worry about that right now), but i do try to eat stuff that contains the omega fatty acids. correct me if i'm wrong, but eggs and walnuts are good sources, no? and i occasionally eat fish (but not that much). and flax bread and waffles occasionally, too. i should try to eat more stuff with it - any recommendations?. eating has been a big thing for me during this first trimester, though! i have been completely turned off vegetables - and try to drink a v8 a day, but even that can sometimes be difficult. the fruit, however, is no problem. i've been eating lots of it, and drinking the fruit juices. i'm hoping that the veggie appetite comes back soon!

again - thanks so much for all the good information!! smile.gif

chachaheels
Pepper, I think too much pasta and bread could be the culprit.

Also, you're eating a lot of grains and beans--if you have any yogurt around, use the whey (the liquid stuff that gathers in the container) when you're soaking your beans or grains before cooking them. Just add this liquid to the water bath you soak them in and this will eliminate the phytic acid and other phytates in them so that you can absorb their nutrients (actually, it exponentially increases the nutrient content of these foods, and eliminates the gas problem completely). I would also like to encourage you to add some more lactofermented foods to your diet, like Bubby's pickles and sauerkraut and beet kvasses and kombuchas.

I am also compelled to ask (I cannot stop myself): where is the protein in your diet? If you're doing meat free, you've got to vary your grains and seek out high protein veggies because it's hard to get all the amino acids you need to have in store, especially now that you're breastfeeding. It would be good to supplement with some amino acids that you won't be able to get from vegetable foods alone. Are there any foods that you seem to be craving? That's always a great big clue.

I also suspect there might be a hormonal shifting going on, or at least a slight imbalance, maybe just detectable in the melatonin levels (the sleep issue)...but that also means the other levels might be off, too.

Loverufus, how can I encourage you to buy good vities? Life Brand and other drugstore brands are best left on the shelf. The sources for the nutrients alone are usually vague or undisclosed, the nutrients are often encased in a magnesium stearate, which doesn't even liquify (let alone melt) under temperatures of over 130 degrees F (remember, we're only 98.6) so it's a very poor carrier for the vitamins and nutrients it encases completely. There's no way the body can utilize the nutrients, and the best quality they can offer is "pharmaceutical" grade. Sure, they all made a big fat noise about "standardization" years ago, and how you don't know what you're getting when you buy supplements and herbs and blah blah blah...but the truth of the matter is pharmaceutical grade is the poorest acceptable quality on the list.

You're pregnant. You are going to need a very healthy diet and a lot of vitamins and minerals, in larger quantities than before. Yes, you will need to make sure you have various foods in your diet, but you will have to supplement to be sure you get the support you need. Spend the money to get a very, very good quality supplement. The only 2 I'd put my patients on are New Chapter's prenatal formula (because they use a fermentation base nutrient matrix, and they're unique in this matter--this really boosts the nutrients you absorb; and they are the only company which can state that all their products are certified organic); and Thorn Research's prenatal formula. That's it. Jamieson, Swiss Herbal, Life Brand, Weber, all those store brands use the cheapest possible ingredients and the cheapest possible matrix.

Eggs are not good sources of omega 3 and 6. The ratio of 3 to 6 omega fatty acids should be, ideally, 1:2. In most eggs, the ratio is much closer to 1:22. Way off balance, far too insufficient in omega 3 fatty acids, way too many of the omega 6's. I used to tell people to eat the eggs from chickens fed solely on flax seed, but I've since learned that there is so little difference between these eggs and other battery chicken eggs that there's little point anymore. Real free range chickens fed grains, earthworms, seeds, whatever they forage, will often produce a better egg--but it's hard to find those chickens and their eggs in the supermarket. If you live in a rural area and know of a farmer who does feed his/her chickens this way, by all means, add these eggs to your diet.

Walnuts contain a little bit of omega 3, but you'll have to eat a lot of them; fish oils and fish flesh (wild salmon, anchovies from the Mediterranean, shellfish, wild arctic char---stressing the wild here because it's anyone's guess what's in farmed fish) are a good source (but you'd have to eat a lot, and the optimum source would be raw fish flesh, which I'm sure you've been told to avoid). Other great sources of vital omega 3's and other really important nutrients, particularly during pregnancy, include organ meats such as liver. Do reconsider getting an excellent, balanced omega fatty acid supplement because you'd have to eat an awful lot to get the support you need from the foods above, and you may not be able to do that when you're pregnant. There's a link below with some other suggestions for getting the right amounts of fats you'll need all around for optimum maternal and baby health.

Here's a link to some great foods to add to your diet while pregnant and nursing:

http://westonaprice.org/children/dietformothers.html

and a link on how much and what kind of EFAs (omega 3 and 6) you need while pregnant and lactating:

http://westonaprice.org/knowyourfats/fatty_acid.html

there are lots of links in the articles which lead you to more information, plus the whole site's a goldmine of really great, useful nutrition information.
pepper
thanks doll face.
protein in my diet consists of:
yogurt, eggs, beans and whole grains (rice, barley, quinoa, wild rice), nuts and nut and seed butters, and the occasional flesh foods and dairy.
i'll do a quick run through fitday.com to check out the average day for protein.
i don't seem to be craving anything really.

you know, i saw a pickle making kit at the health food place by my mom's. it's for ferments, it cost $50 but i might pick it up anyhow. i love ferments but i can't buy anything anywhere near where i live.

i usually pour that yogurt liquid right down the drain 'cause i like yogurt thick. ha ha, oops. now i know.
chachaheels
Peppah!

I would buy the pickle kit if I were you and loved pickles so much and missed the really good ones if they weren't available where I lived. That way you could take advantage of fresh harvests so you could make pickles the way you want them, or brine up some other veggies like chopped carrots, cauliflower, peppers, whatever you wanted to have handy (green tomatoes with garlic and dill!!!)

So, the grains are very good, and I like the fact that there are some flesh foods making their way into the diet. My next question is: Fats?

Avocado
Olive oil, fresh nut oils, sesame oil?
Coconut oil
Flax oil, oil of evening primrose (like Udo's Oil blend, which doesn't include fish oils)
butter--especially if you can get the really good stuff? You can clarify it and remove the dairy particles, and enjoy it as Ghee.

I wonder if the nut butters could not include peanut butter, just for a little while--peanuts have an effect on the thyroid and can sometimes stimulate or depress its function. If you can eat almond or hazelnut or macadamia nut instead for a little while, you might see a bit of a difference in your sleep. Then again, you might not, but I'm curious.

(could you, just to be on the safe side and to avoid having to buy supplements, do one flesh meal per week? one flesh food like: a palm sized, well marbled steak? Shellfish? The lovely fat rich wild salmons, sardines, chars, cod, and tuna? Or, a rich stock from chicken which includes the fat, or from beef, which includes the marrow from the bones...that you could use to cook any of the grain and veggie foods you're eating? No?)

If you feel like you're too skinny then you need to add another little meal to sustain yourself. Eat more!
(I'm getting a little jealous about your ability to do this, my jealousy's petty and dark and nonsensical I know, but I had to let you know it was happening regardless).

(Okay, I've regained my composure)
If the weight loss continues and you're eating as much as you can, I'd want to know more about the function of your thyroid gland, just to make sure it wasn't overfunctioning in any way.
pepper
i'll buy the pickle kit, it's tax return season so i might as well treat myself.
i eat a lot of fat, avos, nuts (no peanuts really ever, they are banned at the school and i think they are, frankly, not a food stuff for people), olive and flax, hemp, efa supplements (3 kinds, all fish based), coconut oil, cream cheese, full fat yogurt, and man do we eat a lot of butter!
i could Not do a regular flesh meal if it meant having to prepare it myself. i had fish in the freezer for a long time, i'd take out a piece to thaw it out and end up throwing it out a few days later because the idea of touching it, seeing it, cooking it made me want to throw up. ugh.
i was looking for some organic liver pate but i can't find any Anywhere! i couldn't even find organic liver to make my own, i got a recipe for it and everything! i would eat a couple of Tbsp of that every week if i could get my hands on it. that would get rid of the iron supplements too, right? i'm taking a dessicated liver one that doesn't constipate me but i would love to stop taking it altogether and address the deficiency with food.

girl, do NOT be jealous of teh skinny. my bones show, it looks terrible. and i'm cold all the time too.
i know what to do, eat on a schedule, i suck at schedules, don't skip breakfast, work out to put on some muscle, get some hemp powder and make a shake every day. now i just gotta do it.

are the free range eggs i buy a total lie? they cost enough, those birds better be eating bugs and grass and dirt!

i'm going to email you about little.
pepper
US gov't concedes vaccine/autism case.

x-posted in the mama threads.
chachaheels
Thanks for posting that, Pepper, I've been reading about that case very closely now for a few months.

Imagine how many children have suffered from this. So many come to homeopaths for treatment because they've been injured by vaccines.
Almost all my pediatric patients are suffering from "autism spectrum" ailments. I rarely treat things like flu--except as an incidental acute in patients I'm treating for chronic things like autism, turette's, asperger's..."behavioural disorders".
And I know that pediatricians and pediatric nurses are all about the vaccine schedules now, not about actually treating kids who get sick.

I know some patients actually do well with vaccines, but I also know many should never, ever have them. I've noticed a big difference in animals I treat, too: the dogs and cats who haven't been vaccinated (sometimes the owner feels guilty, but they just couldn't afford the annual shots) but their animals are invariably longer lived than the ones who are routinely vaccinated. Happens so often I can't think of it as coincidence any more.

Just my .02 cents. Wonder if this means vaccine injured people (think of all the soldiers injured by vaccines, too--the numbers who've refused to take them after seeing their colleagues suffer from them) will be entitled to compensation.
pepper
did you see on the news that the US gov't is recommending that ALL children be vaxed for flu? holy crap, what a scary state of affairs that is. btwn that and the fiasco that is gardasil i forsee some serious health issues as these children age. what a tragedy.

i Wish i could get away with not vaxing the cats but they are both boys and need to be fixed and the vet won't do it without them getting their shots first.

chachaheels
I know. Those commercials coercing grade eight girls to get that gardasil shot make me furious. It's like child molestation using peer pressure (the commercials practically say anyone who won't take the shot is a "chicken") except you know that the disease they will not be able to defend themselves against is a latent, chronic form of HPV that is far more likely to become cancerous that it ever was before, when its occurrence didn't completely by-pass the body's immune defense mechanisms. Amazing how the other known contributors to this disease are simply never discussed--like the role the pill plays in making one susceptible. But there is no money in making that research well known--much more to be had in selling the cause and the supposed cure (which will create the need for even more "medicine" and treatment later). As the cancer rates grow, the cancer industry grows, too. If more people knew just how much money OHIP puts aside to "treat" cancer patients in Ontario (every patient diagnosed with cancer who undergoes treatment in a cancer treatment centre in Ontario gets one and one quarter million dollars over the next five years in "patient care". Think of the number of facilities, doctors, nurses, pharmaceutical companies, reps, support staff...are paid with that amount of money for that one person's treatment--if cancer rates actually go down (or, if patients opt out of conventional treatments) the unemployment/bankruptcy rate in conventional medicine treatment centres will skyrocket.

As for the flu shot--I've seen an awful lot of victims of that one, this year. All in the mid sixties age group (they are heavily targeted for that shot). They end up having a flu they cannot shake for months and months--like a persistent, draining malaria, only their bodies are so weakened and compromised they can even work up the fever they need to just get rid of it (I know because once I give a remedy that helps them to produce it--boom! All the symptoms resolve within hours. After they've suffered for months).

On the plus side, these are the patients I will never have to warn against the flu shot ever again.
Many of them begin to do their own digging and learn more about vaccines and their dangers so they become better at taking responsibility for their own health, and they're less likely to just "do as their told".

As for pets--the only vaccine that's required is the rabies vaccine. I never advise people against this one for their pets because if ever your animal is accused of biting someone and your pet never received that shot, the law will demand that the animal be killed and autopsied to rule out rabies. Rabies is a vicious disease which causes brain deterioration, and that leads to the violence we associate with its end stages. A human being bitten by a rabid animal can develop the symptoms quite quickly and it's a horrible way to die (not to mention that others might be harmed or killed by the diseased victim). So you can imagine why the animal would be sacrificed in this scenario. Get that shot and keep the documentation handy so that you can prove it's been given. The scientific rationale (yet to be proven) is that the vaccine confers a life-long immunity to the disease, therefore it does not need to be given on a recurrent basis. One time is, scientifically, enough.

All the other shots are negligible--shop around for a vet that won't badger you on this if you like. Or, get the shots once and never repeat them. They really are just a form of revenue generation for a veterinary practice, and there is no legal requirement which forces you to vaccinate your animals (or yourself!--bottom line, you don't have to put anything in your body you don't want to). Hate to say it, but there are a hell of a lot of vets who agree with me on this and they'll say the same thing. Many are beginning to notice the chronic disease load of animals who are vaccinated annually, and they know there's a connection there.
pepper
flu vaccine, how stupid can you get?

i gotta question, my preggo friend is due any time now and has a wicked yeast infection. she bought some acidophilus but should she be eating it or using it in the yeast zone? should she be just opting for plain yogurt topically instead? low fat or high fat or does it matter?

poor thing. she was due two days ago and the midwife wants to "stretch and scrape" her on the 11th. wtf, the baby Isn't Ready Yet! slow down, geez, people are in such a damn hurry for Everything these days.
chachaheels
Eat, apply, all of the above.

The yogurt you eat should be full fat, live culture, as close to the real thing as possible.
Supplement with high organism count acidophilus (it's not just going to go away after the birth. It's a fungal infection, it will linger and it will also become present in the baby). A week or two of Genestra HMF Replete--before the birth and afterwards.
To soothe the irritated tissue: plain yogurt, live culture. Fat doesn't matter here but the cultures don't have much chance of thriving without it.
Salt water baths can also be very soothing if the itchiness gets out of control.
It's best to address the problem from the inside at this point--douching is less of a comfortable option.

It sounds like the susceptibility's being brought on by some kind of unexpected pressure or stress. Maybe the baby is in too long (and it's draining her resources) or she's being stressed unduly by the whole push to bring the birth on. Anyway, hope this helps.
pepper
she was due on the 6th and she doesn't have a car or any resources right now. add the mountains of snow we just got and it's fairly stressful for her at the moment.
i don't get why the midwife is pushing the stretch and scrape before she's even a week past her due date. i mean, normal gestation is 38-42 weeks so she isn't even really late yet. i think her midwife wants to go on holiday and is rushing her. she is getting that feeling too and it's stressing her out. poor girl.
well, it'll all be over soon, the baby can't stay in there for much longer!

what do you do with a baby who gets yeast from you? geez. they want to do the eyedrops if she's still got yeast when she delivers. i'm feeling sad for her, this is not a choice i would want to have to make.

OUCH! lap baby is nibbling me with her two small sharp teeth, i gotta go....

kiss_the_fiddler
heya,

i have another pregnancy sort of question. i'm 21-ish weeks (half baked - finally, i have an excuse!). For about the last 2 or 3 weeks, I've been getting migraines. They're increasing in intensity. I asked my doc about them and he said it's normal for women who got them prior to pg to get them worse during this time in pg. He said it'd probably get better around the 24th week. He prescribed me lortab. I get these migraines probably 3 or 4 times a week! That seems like a whole lot. I try to hold of taking the lortab as long as I can but usually cave in when I start crying because it hurts so bad and the crying makes it worse.

So, my question: what non drug alternatives do i have? any homeopathics for this? i'll try just about anything at this point. the pain drives me up a wall and i don't like the idea of giving drugs to my babe through the placenta. help?

thanks in advance.

fiddler
chachaheels
QUOTE(kiss_the_fiddler @ Mar 9 2008, 11:17 PM) *
heya,

i have another pregnancy sort of question. i'm 21-ish weeks (half baked - finally, i have an excuse!). For about the last 2 or 3 weeks, I've been getting migraines. They're increasing in intensity. I asked my doc about them and he said it's normal for women who got them prior to pg to get them worse during this time in pg. He said it'd probably get better around the 24th week. He prescribed me lortab. I get these migraines probably 3 or 4 times a week! That seems like a whole lot. I try to hold of taking the lortab as long as I can but usually cave in when I start crying because it hurts so bad and the crying makes it worse.

So, my question: what non drug alternatives do i have? any homeopathics for this? i'll try just about anything at this point. the pain drives me up a wall and i don't like the idea of giving drugs to my babe through the placenta. help?

thanks in advance.

fiddler

Hey honey,

Do you still have any of those Natrum Muriaticum tissue salts you were taking before you got preggers? Not only is it the number one remedy for infertility (in India! Where homeopathy has many, many followers, far more than here) it's the remedy which addresses slightly more than 10% of all the migraine and recurrent headache symptoms out there (and that's actually a lot).

If you've got it around, it's far, far safer for you and baby than the prescription drug. The fact that the pain brings you to tears (and that the tears make it worse) is also interesting as they are some of the symptoms associated with Nat. Mur. I'd take a 4 pill dose under the tongue as you need it, once every 15 minutes if you've got the headache pounding away. When the pain subsides, you don't need to take more.

The absolute best thing to do for yeast of any kind is to make yourself insusceptible. Breastfeeding the baby while mom eats a lot of the best baby-making foods around is a very good start--lots of protein, lactofermented foods, lots of fresh fruit, veggies, soaked grains and nuts, etc. etc. You know the drill! And the Weston
A Price foundation has lots of articles on the best traditional foods for mom and baby health. Suppressing yeast in any form in the baby will likely cause big problems, particularly if the suppression starts with idiotic anti-biotic treatments for yeast or if skin yeast symptoms are suppressed with steroid preparations (which creates problems in the lungs, later). Hopefully baby will be fine (sometimes baby is born very healthy BECAUSE mom's strength has been a little overtaxed to accomplish that).

pepper
"sometimes baby is born very healthy BECAUSE mom's strength has been a little overtaxed to accomplish that"

thank you, this is exactly what i will tell her. i think it's the very thing she needs to hear. she hasn't got any internet but i'll look up some things for her when i get back into town in a few days.
kiss_the_fiddler
thanks chacha. i'd totally forgotten about that. thanks for the reminder. i'll try it.

fiddler
beck
hey healthy people, any tips on what natural oils i could try in the bath that will help my itchy and scratchy pregnant skin without reactivating the bacne that pregnancy has kindly seen off? any recommendations for safe essential oils to make it smell good would be welcome too.

thanks!
chachaheels
Sweet almond oil in the bath is nice, as is a nice sea salt/epsom salt/baking soda bath (5:3:1 ratio). If your skin's itchy a good oatmeal bath will be soothing too.

Safe essential oils: avoid the mints (sages, basil, lavender, etc) and go for orange oil (to cheer), some geranium oil, palmarosa, rose....you don't need much at all.

It helps to eat the right fats while you're pregnant to stave off dryness too.

Coconut oil every day is very rich and emolient, incredibly good for you and baby, and it's easy to store and consume.
beck
thank you chacha! i'll go shopping in my lunchbreak today...
lunasol
Chacha, I have a weight-loss question for you (for anyone, really, but Cha Cha seems to be our resident holistic expert):

I just started a new regimen that I'm hoping will help me lose weight (I need to lose around 60 lbs). I'm looking for a holistic nutritionist or naturopath, but in the meantime, this is basically what I'm doing: I'm working really hard to make fruits and veggies the center of my diet, with good fat, organic dairy and better-raised meat the "side dishes." This is based on reading "In Defense of Food."

What I'm aiming to do: eat about 4 servings of leafy greens and 4 servings of other veggies, 4 servings of fruit, some yogurt, a serving of beans and a serving or two of meat each day. I'm also trying to stick to a serving or two of whole grains each day. I was wondering if you had any suggestions of things I might want to add to make sure I'm healthy as I lose this weight? Other than coconut oil, that is. wink.gif

Other than the excess weight, I'm pretty healthy, though I do have very dry skin (which is a family inheritance) and low energy levels that I think are mainly due to stressful job, not enough sleep and my up-to-now poor diet. Also, not enough exercise. I had heartburn, but now that I've cut out processed foods, that seems to be totally disappearing (yay!).

ETA: What I mean by "side dish" is that I'm trying to think of these as what I add to veggies, rather than veggies being what I add to meat, cheese and starches. So for instance, today for lunch I had a huge-ass (like, four cups) salad with olive oil and balsamic dressing, a cup of Portuguese kale soup (kale, sausage, beans and onions), and a slice of whole grain bread with unsalted butter. It was awesome.
pepper
may i chime in here with a vote for proper food combining? makes it easier for your body to process and use the food you take in. if you google you'll get a chart for sure, it seems tricky but it's not after a few tries.
that and eating the fruits and veg raw as much as possible. a plant based diet can be very satisfying but rarely leaves one with that over stuffed feeling of "full" that most people associate with having had enough to eat. a good measure to remember is to eat until you feel 3/4 full, never more than that. it's enough food, it's easier for your body to process and getting used to that feeling is a great help in caloric control.

a wonderful nutrition tracking website (free) where you can see how you're doing nutrition wise is fitday.com. sometimes if you're consistantly missing something or other your body will keep shooting you hunger signals hoping that you'll eventually eat it and fill the need.

good luck! and congrats on doing it in such a healthy way too, that will stick with you for life unlike a binge type diet.
lunasol
Thanks, pepper! I've read contradictory things about combining, but it does make intuitive sense, and I find I tend to do many of the recommended things without realizing that's what I'm doing. For instance, I always have a smoothie in the morning, and then when I get to work I have oatmeal. I did this because it's easy to keep oatmeal at work - smoothies, not so much. But I have noticed that if I eat oatmeal first thing in the morning, I have horrible heartburn an hour later. If I have the smoothie first, nothing. So the recommendation to have fruit first thing in the morning makes a lot of sense to me.

The thing about being "full" is something that's taken me a lot of stops and starts to get used to, but I think I'm finally adjusting. Wendy at Poundy.com wrote about how she used to like food that "punched her in the gut" or something like that, and I totally know what she means. Pizza and burgers and things like that will really fill you up to a point that isn't necessarily healthy, but I had gotten to thinking that that was what "full" should feel like. So it's an adjustment. But I found myself actually *craving* salad the other day, which is a totally new thing for me. So that's really interesting.
pepper
that's awesome! something that was said to me one time that i thought was pretty interesting was that when you start to crave bitter foods (endive, dandelion leaves, etc) you know you're healthy. something to do with the liver, perhaps bitter foods are tonifiers? not too sure.
another thing about bitter foods, often that is what i think we are craving when we go for the chocolate. is it magnesium that chocolate is high in? i think so, and that's in green leafies too. so if i have a craving for that i go for an endive, raddichio, arugula salad with walnuts and i'm good. if it's sugar i'm craving a big fat sticky chewy medjool date always, always does the trick for me. take out the pit and stuff it with a raw pecan or cashew for a super treat. not excellent food combining but wow, just like the best kind of caramel candy.
one thing i try to do is to make every mouthful nutrient dense, that way all the calories count towards health. if empty calories (pasta, rice, junk) can be replaced with a mineral rich alternative not only is the body utilizing all the food taken in, i think the cravings for more and more food ease off as well.
chachaheels
I tried posting earlier but my computer was not cooperating! Sorry it's taken me so long to write back (Hi, Pepper!!!)

Here are a few things anyone trying to lose weight should have in their nutrition regime:

1. Essential fatty acids--omegas 3, 6, specifically. You should have a ratio of omega 3 to omega 6 that is as close as possible as 1:2. Most of us get 1:22, and most of us are eating the wrong omega sixes to affect proper endocrine function and hormonal balance.

All kinds of new omega fatty acids are talked about all the time (sea buckthorn oil and the like...all well and good) but there are particular ones that are absolutely necessary for proper endocrine health. Omega 3 fatty acids come primarily from fish sources: cold water, deep water fish. Since you're watching portions most often on a diet, supplement with omega 3 fatty acid capsules. Get a very high quality capsule--pure, distilled fish oil from cold water source, such mediterranean anchovy, salmon oil, tuna oil, herring oil, and krill oil. Be picky about this, there is currently a flood of nasty, untried omega 3 fatty acid on the market from fish like bonito--it's primarily being used to "enrich" foods like yogurt and milk and bread. Avoid these like the deadly plague--in fact, avoid all "enriched" foods of any kind. If you're a vegetarian, compromise and use flax seed oil as your omega 3 source: pure, expeller/cold pressed oil, which you can store in your freezer. Keep in mind that the capsule materials will always be animal sourced, so if you really want an all vegetable fatty acid, you must consume the raw oil on its own. So: Flax or fish oil for omega 3's.

For omega 6's, we get far too much omega six in our diets on the whole, and not enough of them with the proper fatty acid chain to enable prostaglandin production in the body. For women, Oil of Evening Primrose is a great omega six. Again, insist on pure, expeller/cold pressed oil. Capsules, once again, are still made from gelatin: so the raw oil is another option for vegans and vegetarians. In Canada there is a source for pure, raw, Oil of Evening Primrose from a cottage industry manufacturer in Niagara--email me privately and I'll send you an address where you can contact the supplier.

To make things easy (and I encourage this) try some of the balanced blends of omega fatty acids on the market: I like Efalex because it's a fish oil/evening primrose oil blend; but if you want a vegetarian option, try Udo's Oil blend by Flora. Again: be very picky. It has to be the freshest, highest quality, purest fat in every case. Our bodies burn fat before any other macronutrient because it's the most vital food utilized by our bodies--so necessary in the function of all vital organs. Don't compromise. You can't lose weight and stay healthy without good fats--very good fats balance your entire endocrine system--regulate your menstrual cycle, regulate metabolism, regulate weight. Dropping pounds is a lot easier with EFA support.

2. Vitamins our bodies need in order to maintain proper endocrine balance: the B vitamins, vitamin D, and vitamin A.
A good B vitamin combination won't cause your pee to turn bright yellow/green! If you're excreting this colour, you're excreting your vitamin. Choose another brand! One I like is New Chapter's b vitamin combination. It's processed in a fermented soy base so you use all the nutrient: it's much more like a food than a supplement. B vitamins are so necessary to over all health but since so many people cut out carbohydrate rich foods during diets we need the B's to maintain the nutrients we'd normally get from whole grains.

I also highly recommend B12 sublingual lozenges in methylcobalamin form, or, even better, in a liquid "drop" form. B12 is vital for guarding against anemia and it plays a huge role in metabolism balance. So many food "cravings", particularly for sugar/alcohol/stimulant drugs of all kinds calm with B12 supplementation. Again, since you'll be avoiding grain type foods for the most part, the b12 will be very necessary.

Vitamins D and A are best in their natural form--D from sunlight exposure (we need this! Tanning is NOT BAD--but you must be careful not to burn--burning is the bad part. Go out without sunscreen for 5 to 15 minutes every day to ensure you're exposed to enough sunlight to allow your body to synthesize sufficient stores of vitamin D. Let yourself "colour up": it is the best, safest, protection against a sun burn that there is. Don't worry about wrinkling your skin: with the right fats in your diet your skin is far less likely to wrinkle than it would be without them, and nothing you can apply topically will protect your skin from wrinkling. Nothing).

Vitamin A from yellow veggies and dark leafy green veggies is a great vitamin to have in sufficient doses. Eat as much as possible of this stuff--but know that animal source vitamin A is also very necessary...and we're not likely to seek those out. (Seal eyeball, anyone?) The alternative again is supplementation. A good natural source of D and A is Cod Liver Oil. You can now take it in capsules or in the raw oil that's been purified and distilled, sourced from Nordic water systems. I've put patients old enough to remember despising Cod Liver oil as children on this liquid oil and they've told me consistently that they like it! It's not the oil they used to take, it's pleasant and easy to ingest--invariably they prefer it to taking it in capsule form. If you can't deal with that (I can't!), go for the capsules. A good brand I like to use is Carlson's. Very high quality and very high in the natural D and A vitamins.

4. Teas make the best diet drinks, particularly fruit/fruit leaf teas. They are terrific chilled, they cost pennies, they do not contain high fructose corn syrup or aspartame or splenda or acesulfate potassium or any of those artificial sweeteners that force your body to gain weight. Green tea is rich in catechins and antioxidants--lots of people think the catechins help with weight loss (I don't believe they do, personally, and I prefer Japanese green teas instead of Chinese green teas because of the richness in flavour and in abundance of all these ingredients). Teas can also easily be sweetened with Stevia, a plant derived sweetener that has no calories what so ever and has no side effects whatsoever. It's pricey, though, and it has to be used in very small quantities because it's so much sweeter than sugar it can end up tasting bitter. You have to experiment to your taste and go with that. There are just so many out there it's hard to become bored.

5. Add lactofermented foods--real lactofermented foods!--to your diet to boost nutrient absorption from all foods. Organic, full fat yogurts with all their live cultures--great stuff, buy the plain and use it in everything or mix in berries and nuts and a bit of unpasteurized honey as a snack. Full fat raw milk cheeses, pasture fed organic cultured butter, sauerkraut, real lactofermented pickles (such as Bubbie's brand--you have to find these in the fridge at the store, not on the canned food shelf because they must be chilled to keep the cultures living). Kombucha teas, kvasses, these are all great for boosting nutrient absorption. Pickles are great anytime because they're calorie free and they convey so much nutritious benefit. Use the whey liquid from the yogurt you purchase to add to the soaking liquid of beans, pulses, and whole grains to remove their phytic acid contents--this will allow you to absorb all their nutrients as well. If you can't get enough of the lacto-fermented foods, add acidophilus and bifidus pills to your supplementation regime--pre/probiotics definitely help with nutrient absorption--it's why we have them in our bodies naturally!

The whole point of enhanced nutrient absorption is this: it's when you don't absorb your nutrients that your body is forced to store fat and alter its metabolism. You can easily stop this process by ensuring your foods provide as much nutrient value to you as possible--by ensuring your body actually absorbs and uses the food's nutrients. It's ironic that you usually have to eat the foods you're told are "fattening" to get your body to actually do this properly--but it works. The one thing that does not work and actually makes the whole problem far more severe is calorie cutting, portion controlling, and any other term you know basically means starvation.

6. Snack!! Pack real food snacks to take with you. Not just veggies, either: cheeses, nuts, nut spreads, yogurt, canned tuna/smoked oysters/smoked mussels/salmon...whatever you prefer...the cans with the poptop lids are super easy and the protein hit is very effective for food energy that doesn't fill you up but stabilizes your blood sugar effectively); artisanal sausage, olives, pickles...whatever you can find and pack into purse-safe containers. Planning ahead this way keeps you out of the clutches of fast food, junk food, junk-food "health" bars, sugary foods that loom whenever your blood sugar's plummetting...etc.

I'm sure I'm leaving stuff out--there are lots of other supplements to consider depending on precisely what kind of chronic disease effects you're aiming to change with your diet too...but that might not be what you're about at this point, so this is a good "basic" for starters. One other thing I want to say is watch your sugar intake, including sugars from fruit (the berry fruits have the least amount of sugar; starchy fruits like apples, pears, mangos, plums...have much more). Our bodies utilize sugar last: it turns sugar into stored fat almost immediately--plus sugar has a direct impact on endocrine function and balance. Use in severe moderation! This goes for starchy foods too--Pepper's idea that mineral and nutrient foods surpass nutrient deficient foods is a great tool for choosing the right carbohydrates.

And, yes, bitter greens--I crave them just because they taste so damn good. Dandelion greens are out now and they're amazing in salad with olive oil, sea salt, and some balsamic vinegar or plain old lemon juice. I like to add shavings of parmiggiano too...but you don't have to. There's also wonderful, peppery arugula, endives of all kinds including frisee lettuce...so yummy. The traditional way to serve these is with something acidic and something fatty--usually lardons or crisp salmon skin or just chopped bacon--depends on the cuisine! I also love these greens wilted and dressed with the fatty/acidy complements. People have been eating these greens for millennia this way, in all parts of the world--I'm certain that the fat and acid have to be there to enhance the breakdown of the greens (the acids start the "digestion" for us) as well as the nutrient absorption (the fats carry the minerals to us in usable, absorbable form).
pepper
hi chacha!

i make a pretty wicked salad dressing with olive oil, lemon and balsamic for those salads. but brock used to make this wicked, wicked miso vinagrette that he sold at his old restaurant that i LOVED! i wonder if he still bottles it to sell, i'll check next time i go to the rice bowl and let you know. there's a really good one out of bc too, little creek dressing i think it's called, that is the best, hands down BEST salad dressing i've ever had. can't get it here but my little sister brings me a bottle whenever she comes to visit.

i have a question... my other sister is visiting from hongkong and she can't even step food inside my house, she is so totally allergic to the kitties. she developed this allergy in her early 20's when she was living in a moldy basement with a cat. all of a sudden like, it's really bad too. i was telling her that it would be worth it to go back and see if she can heal whatever damage occured, change happened, whatever, way back when through homeopathy. is there something that she can do? i wish she was going to be here for longer, i would try to talk her into seeing someone (You!).
hellcat
Hello natural-ly healthy ladies! I've just introd myself in the newbies lounge and I've searched the thread for some conversations about the product essiac. I used to work at a healthfood store (mostly herbs and supplements) and we sold Essiac and Flor-Essence. They are both herbal teas that promote immune boosting qualities. The companies are both reputable from my experience but I've never known someone with experience with the tea.
The reason I re-registered with bust, after a long hiatus, is because my (oh no i just realized i'll have to come up with a fun name for my man) mister just got a possible diagnosis of lymphoma. I know I shouldn't start freaking out but I just want to start taking steps to boost his immunity.

I was thinking:
-a good liquid multi
-phtoplankton (for the trace minerals)
-a mushroom blend (?)
-Essiac/ Flor-Essence

Any other ideas or confirmations? He is fussy when it comes to the herbal side of things but I'm pretty sure he is freaked out and will try anything. I don't know for sure though...and I don't think we can afford a naturopath either. Bah!

Sorry to rush in here and purge my problems. I'm studying for my last final and just found this out and my head is running a muck! Thanks!
chachaheels
The thing is, if you're going to use anything involving herbs, particularly for a chronic disease that could actually become lifethreatening, what you use is not the point: the management of your health once the medicine is chosen and given is the point.
I am not trying to be rude here, but I don't know why it is people think they can treat a serious, systemic disease with chronic effects to deep organs with something they bought off a counter, from someone who makes a living selling quantities of product. The medicine has to be suitable to the patient, the patient must be ready to do whatever is necessary in order to be treated, and someone who is trained and knowledgeable in the medicine's use and analysis has to be able to monitor the effect the medicine has on the body--and adjust, increase, decrease or stop the use of the medicine as its required in that person's case. So: commitment number one is to find someone who is properly schooled and trained in the use of the medicine to restore health--a naturopath or herbalist if you want to use Essiac.

Saying you can't afford a naturopath (or an herbalist, if you're intersted in using Essiac, which may or may not be suitable for your boyfriend's case--only someone trained in using that medicine would know...and that trained person would need proper accreditation from a school which teaches the basics in the alternative medicine you ultimately work with) means you aren't willing to do what you need to do in order to restore your boyfriends' health by using that alternative medical treatment. Every choice you make to get well will cost you a lot of money. If you do the math, conventional medicine always always always costs exponentially more than paying for a well trained, properly schooled alternative medical health professional's services. If you think a naturopath, homeopath, traditional chinese medical practitioner or herbalist costs too much, consider how much you will spend for prescription drugs and therapies which must be paid for out of pocket (for most people); usually on an ongoing basis since chronic disease is only treated with a coterie of an increasing number of ongoing prescriptions in conventional medicine.

And, also, what your friend chooses about his own health care must be HIS decision. If he's not willing to give 100% commitment to the care he receives, and he is not willing to bring his "best self" to the process--be honest about himself, about what he needs to disclose and do--then the treatment simply won't work for him. A practitioner just monitors and adjusts the treatment as needed: but all of this work has to be in response to the information given by the patient, and all of it must be out of compliance to what is needed to restore health--they have to work together or nothing can happen. The patient must always choose what suits him or her best, they must always choose what feels most comfortable for themselves. If they say they want to try anything, then they really have to commit themselves to doing what their practitioners need them to do. If they don't feel 100% able to do what's required, then they won't get well using that method.

The best thing to do is give him an opportunity to consider alternatives and some really good resources for learning more about the alternative medical therapies that exist. Please don't just buy stuff from a health food store and expecting miracles--it does not work that way. If you'd like some links to informational websites about alternatives which will help, as well as some websites listing practitioners near you, send me a private note and I'll happily get back to you with some information for you to look over so you can start to think about possible ways of dealing with the illness.
pepper
chacha, i know you feel very passionately about this and i agree. you can treat a head cold with herbs on your own but for something more serious you better know what you're doing. fooling around on your own might end up doing nothing but you could very easily make it worse, mask symptoms by causing other things to happen in the body, or create another problem altogether.
there are many students of alternative therapies who offer treatment for a reduced price. they work under the supervision of their instructors too so you're actually being treated by two or more people, at least one of whom is an expert.
hellcat
Thanks for responding so quickly chacha. I hope you don't think that I'm trying to cure cancer here- if I thought I could do that I wouldn't be concerned at all. Also, we are in Canada so his hospital type bills are covered by his health care plan but they don't cover a lot of alternatives.
I was under the impression that similar things that you take to help with a head cold might help with keeping the body healthy any which way. You know prepare the body to get stronger if he has to get treatment.
Good idea about going to a student herbalist pepper! I'll have to look into that.

Well I guess until things are confirmed I'll just wait and hope for the best and come back if I need or can give some advice.
chachaheels
deleted--double post
chachaheels
Well, it's simply not true that what works for an acute condition will work equally well for a chronic condition. There are two different types of disease realities and energies at work in the body in either case; and where the treatment of cancers of any kind are concerned, you must understand that the philosophical understanding of pathology and the workings of the body in general are not understood in the same way where alternative methods and conventional methods are concerned.

Where it's true that in alternative methods, we most want to help the body heal itself, in conventional methods (where cancer treatment is concerned) many of the signs that the body is working hard to heal itself will be understood as outright pathology. Generally, these "symptoms" won't put the patient in danger for all intents and purposes unless his or her case is being overseen by a conventional practitioner: in conventional medicine, those exact signs of increased well being are usually perceived as big trouble.

Let me give you an example of this:

If you wish to "boost someone's immune system" (a concept which is relatively new in conventional medicine, and basically still an unproven theory for the most part--but a hugely overused means of misinforming people about alternative medicines in general) you will often see, especially in cancer, symptoms such as swelling in the lymph nodes. If you understand that the lymphatic systems job is to corral and then "wall off" any threats, such as cancerous tissue change, in tumors and then in the lymph nodes before expelling them from the body, then you know what is taking place is actually a sign of the body's efforts to restore its own health.

Conventionally, however, these same symptoms are seen as "tumourous overgrowth", and patients are told that they must either surgically remove the affected lymph nodes, or undergo surgery to remove the nodes AND then undergo radiation therapy and/or chemotherapy. So misused alternative medicines and drugs which stimulate these changes will place the patient in a very bad situation.

All three standard methods of cancer treatment actually suppress the body's healing reactions to disease--and this is done because in the conventional medical theory and philosophy in current practice, symptom suppression at all costs is the only means by which cancer can be "cured". Cure, in conventional medicine, is also defined very differently from the way it is defined in alternative medical systems. In any case, the patient is unaware of what's happening and why and he or she will be told to stop using the alternatives because he or she will be led to believe they are aggravating the condition, when they are not.

A trained practitioner in an alternative medical system will be able to help a patient limit some of the very severe side effects of conventional medical treatment, if the patient chooses to undergo that treatment. It involves close case management, and usually a multi-level, multi-disciplined approach to support the body, limit or counteract the side effects of the drugs, treat the side effects of severe depression which often accompany that treatment (and other issues for which the patient would be encouraged to seek out supportive counseling), change the diet to support the body as it undergoes the various stages of treatment, etc. etc.

Or, if the patient chooses, the practitioner of the alternative medical system can treat the patient using that particular alternative medical approach. Often extremely effectively, and often without having to force the patient to undergo any of the surgery or radiation or chemo they were once taught to believe were their only hopeful options. But no one should ever self-medicate, in any medical art; and no one has any hope of being a good doctor if they are treating him or herself: all medicines have to be used with skill and with close supervision.

Either way, deciding which treatment method is best must be the patient's choice. The choice has to be a fully informed one, the patient has to do a lot of research about their condition and the treatment options available to him or her in order to know what fits best with their own comfort level. And then they have to be committed to the choice, whatever it is.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.