Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Pardon me (I'm Canadian)
The BUST Lounge > Forums > Friends and Family
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18
plynn
I hadn't read the newspapers for a couple days and I didn't even realize there was an argument about evacuating people. I was just venting about the news coverage, which seemed to focus on people complaining about a lack of organization and subpar facilities, which seemed way too whiny for people who were trying to escape a nascent war... Now I feel very paranoid that I was being suckered in to the same view as people who think we should charge for the evacuations, or set up some sort of standard of Canadian-ness...

Oceandessa makes a very good point that we would never hear this argument if it was Canadians being rescued from a natural disaster in the U.S. - even if they had been living there for years. We cling to celebrities that haven't set foot in Canada for decades. But if a Canadian citizen goes to Lebanon, they've effectively renounced their citizenship? Isn't that the kind of xenophobic bullshit we claim happens only in the U.S.?
tatiana
Actually, I'm not saying this because it is Lebanon. If you go live in the states, or Europe, or Israel, and you haven't been back to Canada in years I would say exactly the same thing. This, at least for me, has ZERO to do with the country that you moved TO. If you live half the year in one and half in the other, and are still contributing here, fine. If you've up and left, and been gone for years, then no.

Vacationing is different than choosing to live in another country and when their services and governmental responses aren't enough for you, you want the country that you abandoned not to abandon you. Why?
loli
Tatiana, I guess what bothers me about your discussions of abandonment and choice is that they lead to a 2 tiered citizenship system, which raises a lot of alarm bells for me. So, in answer to your question of why, I answer...because these people are citizens, have contributed time and energy to this country, and have the option to move fairly freely, thankfully! I'm married to a recent immigrant and if you don't already know, it's not a cheap, quick and easy process to become a citizen, unlike those of us who have this priviledge by birth.

Oceandessa brings up the idea of Canadians by convenience, which sounds pretty familiar in a country comprised mostly of immigrants. My grandparents/great-grandparents came to this country to "make a better life". One of them went back to the Motherland, as he was considered unhirable here, but at least made a wage back home. You mention choice, but this was a pretty shitty choice, honestly.
tatiana
QUOTE(loli @ Jul 22 2006, 01:30 AM) *

Tatiana, I guess what bothers me about your discussions of abandonment and choice is that they lead to a 2 tiered citizenship system, which raises a lot of alarm bells for me.

If they have been gone for years, are not paying taxes, and are not contributing to the country anymore and yet still expect services for free, isn't that already a two-tier system? I see your point, and in an ideal world I wouldn't have any issues with this, but there are finite resources and they should go to the people who maintain ties to Canada first and foremost. If you hold dual-citizenship, whatever country you call home at the moment is the one that should be hauling your derriere out of the fire.

So, in answer to your question of why, I answer...because these people are citizens, have contributed time and energy to this country, and have the option to move fairly freely, thankfully! I'm married to a recent immigrant and if you don't already know, it's not a cheap, quick and easy process to become a citizen, unlike those of us who have this priviledge by birth.

I'm well aware that it isn't cheap, and I don't agree with the way that the fees were raised (about ten years ago I think). The other side of the coin is that the people being sent over to help evacuate these people (we are sending the military, which is, as usual, woefully ill-equipped, but I digress) are citizens too and it irritates me that they are put in harm's way by people who have cut ties with Canada. Of course, the reason it irritates is because up until a decade ago it was my dad and his friends who were sent to do this kind of thing (and they did it gladly because it was their job, but don't think they don't grit their teeth when people are ungrateful that anyone has risked THEIR life to help them when they don't even live here anymore).

Oceandessa brings up the idea of Canadians by convenience, which sounds pretty familiar in a country comprised mostly of immigrants. My grandparents/great-grandparents came to this country to "make a better life". One of them went back to the Motherland, as he was considered unhirable here, but at least made a wage back home. You mention choice, but this was a pretty shitty choice, honestly.

Sorry, I'm not really sure what this has to do with what we're discussing. I could say the same of my great-grandparents whose family was forever split by emigration. Emigrating, and having to emigrate, is always a shitty choice for the people involved.

I'm sorry, I don't have time for a more considered response at the moment because I'm pressed for time. I do see the other point of view; I just think that it doesn't acknowledge the limits of what we can do in situations like these. With unlimited manpower, money, and time? Evacuate them all. With limited manpower, money, and time?
loli
So Lebanon is to be hauling these people's derriere out of the fire? I don't think they are really equipped to do that right now, do you?

I brought up the issue of immigration to point out that some people do not have as much choice as you may think. I see choice as largely a middle and upper class concept. Some need to move back to their homeland to feed and clothe themselves.

I understand that there are limited resources. However, as I see it, Canadian citizens in Lebanon must not be subjected to a lengthy hemming-and-hawing governmental ranking process during wartime.

oceandessa
Interesting: according to BBC news, Canada is only evacuating 10,000 Canadians, the vast majority of which are vacationing. It appears that this is inline of American and British evacuees as well. I don't think we're evacuating many residents, because many of them are reportedly not wanting to leave their current homes. Evacuation is probably not an attractive option to those who reside in Lebanon, because they will have absolutely nothing once they get here (if they do get here). So in reality, I don't think that we're spending that much money and resources on evacuating residents.

My personal opinion is that since Canada has sided with Israel with this one, and since Israeli shelling has destroyed most of the infrastructure residents can use to leave Lebanon, that we have an obligation to help the inncocent who are in the line of fire in that country. I feel the same way about Israeli-Canadians residing in Haifa, or in Northern Israel in general. The only difference is that the Israeli citizens can leave on their own because the infrastructure of their country is still intact. Still we should help as much as we're able to, on a humanitarian level rather than a citizenship-based one.

oceandessa
The CBC has just published an article supporting the BBC's 10,000 Canadians comment.

dusty
I agree with Oceandessa. Israel is waging war on civilians, and has made it extremely difficult for anyone to leave because they have been destroying the roads, etc.

I also suspect that the Canadian government would have been way quicker on the mark had they been evacuating WASPs. I can't believe that the government didn't express more outrage over the Canadians who were killed. Hmmm. Or the Lebanese. Oh well.
culturehandy
I agree, how the government not be upset about innocents being killed. Mind you, the government does not really appear to give to shits about its citizens residing in Canada, nevertheless those residing in other countries. This whole thing is sad. As for actions being "measured" does that mean if someone picked off Stephy's family because they don't like how his policies are affecting people, would that also be "measured". Blech.
dusty
Oh, yay! The Toronto Star actually quoted the 'organizers' of Saturday's rally in Toronto as estimating there were 15,000 people and conceded that even the police were saying there were 'thousands and thousands'!
dusty
I'm feeling unreasonably annoyed that Elizabeth in For Better Or For Worse 'needs' to buy a car. Why does she need a car when she walks to work?
runningwestward
Maybe she needs to visit Paul?
doodlebug
Does anyone else remember Lynn Johnston saying years ago that she was going to retire the strip soon? Still waiting. (I think FBOFW jumped the shark when she killed off Farley anyway.) Anyway, we know Lizardbreath and Paul are going to break up, and Liz will wind up with slouchy old Anthony, helping to raise his child. Bah.

ETA: ok, I read the comics way too much.
dusty
If she's going to visit Paul, she should rent a car, not drive some wreck *looks prissy*.

Farley died? She can't retire the strip and leave me with HERMAN. I used to root for Anthony, but I'm leaning to Paul now.

My cousin's husband graduated with Lizardbreath, hee. He got an honorary degree at the same convocation, same university that she would have. Lynn Johnston got one too.
battygurl
You are all jealous of me because tonight I met tyger and she was lovely and hilarious. Tyger--I had fun and I hope I wasn't too much of a dork.

I totally thought at first that you all were talking about politicians. And then I read doodle's post as "Does anyone else remember Lynn Johnston saying years ago that she was going to retire TO strip soon?" and I really didn't think that was so odd of a thing for a canadian politician to say.

I get it now. Clearly I don't read the comics enough.
doodlebug
I am SO jealous of batty and tyger!!

Farley drowned saving April's life...remember? The new dog that looks like him (with a bigger nose) is his offspring...'cause apparently they never had Farley fixed, and amazingly, even though he ran fairly free, he never managed to get another dog pregnant until LJ was ready to kill him off his old age! Gosh!

That's pretty odd to graduate with a non-existant person! smile.gif
pepper
ha! i just noticed that is says I started this thread. now that is funny. there's only been one thread i've ever started and this one ain't it.
dusty
I totally missed that about Farley and April! Anthony is such a dweeb.

This must be hereditary. I remember my Mom (deceased six years) and my aunt (suffering from dementia) laughing about the mom cleaning house like a fiend when she was about to go into labour and how realistic that was. That must be so long ago. Maybe you're right about the shark-jumping, hee.
tyger
batty, you were totally undorky. and tres cool!
i remember the whole 'michael has a gay friend' week or two in fbofw. my paper didn't run it (yes, i'm from that kind of town). and then everyone complained and they ran them all with a little warning about content or some such thing. i heard it was going to be done at the end of this year. or at least that's what my mom heard. i'm going to miss it if'n'when it's actually gone
runningwestward
I feel bad... I knew Tyger was coming to town and I was not sure of my plans and then by the time I knew if I would have time Tyger was gone. I'm sorry. I would have loved to have met you and Batty. Stupid training schedule. Stupid thesis monster nipping at my heels. I hope you had a great time out here Tyger!

So predictable that Anthony would come back into the strip now! Lizardbreath better not do something stupid.
dusty
STOP ISRAEL'S BOMBING NOW!
Israel out of Lebanon and Palestine!
No to NATO occupation!
End Bush - Harper war drive!

MASS RALLY & MARCH
Saturday, July 29, 1:00pm
Israeli Consulate, 180 Bloor Street West
(west of Avenue Road, north side of Bloor)

Organised by: Canadian Arab Federation
Endorsed by: Palestine House / Muslim Unity Group - Toronto / Jewish Women's Committee to End the Occupation / Toronto Coalition to Stop the War / Coalition Against Israeli Apartheid

For more information or to endorse, please e-mail info@caf.ca.

Canadian Arab Federation
Phone: 416-493-8635 or 416-879-6766
E-mail: info@caf.ca
Web: www.caf.ca
tyger
no worries, running...i'll be back! i'll just need to let my bank account recuperate
battygurl
runningwestward, we should totally meet up sometime! Maybe after things have settled down a bit... August is going to be crazy.
runningwestward
Yes... August will be nutty. I have to have my manuscript to my committee before I go to Penticton at the end of the month. I'm going to watch Ironman. I am not doing Ironman. That is truely nutty and not a good plan when you have a thesis to write. Speaking of... no more busting for me... I missed a deadline yesterday and have miles to go before I can hand over the goods.
doodlebug
So. Lizardbreath and Anthony. Did everyone see the whole car test drive set up?

I'm telling you, it's gonna happen.

I just about can't stand it.

I hope April grows up to be a dyke.
pepper
what the hell, am i the only one here who never reads that comeek?
the only one i remember at all is where the hubby (is his name john?) is answering a question one of the kids asks about 'fate' after mom has said something about it being hers to gain weight. he says "it's FAT with an E on the end of it." while a coffee cup is flying at the back of his head. i found that one a little funny. but only for a second or two.

i like 'get fuzzy'. and mutts. what's with the pet funnies eh? i Don't like garfield or charlie brown though. meh.
doodlebug
I love Mutts. They're selling camisoles or t-shirts or something on the Mutts website that show Mooch playing with his li'l pink sock. I so want one of those shirts...

Garfield actually was funny at one time, many, many, many years ago.

Calvin and Hobbes remains my #1 favourite. (And Dykes to Watch Out For, but that's definitely OFF the mainstream comics page!!)

I find most comics seem to deteriorate around the same time they start to market plush toys based on the characters....
erinjane
I love 'get fuzzy' too, pepper. Satchel is just so damned cute! I actually have a 'get fuzzy' calender hanging on my wall.
snafooey
Charlie Brown was the shit back in the day.
runningwestward
Pearls Before Swine is one I have to read everyday. I love get fuzzy too but lately it's been going down hill. I don't think it is as funny as it was. I also like Opus but it's only a sunday comic now.
pepper
a flock of canadian geese just flew honking over my roof. good bye summer *sniff*, see you next year.
erinjane
Ugh, I know how you feel pepper. Everytime I walk out my backdoor I get pelted with acorns. I can almost smell Autumn in the air now.
luludoll123
I definitely sense fall upon us - even a week or two ago here. Even though it's hot during the day it's that crispy moist sweet smell in the air in the morning by the beach that get's me thinking about the rain that soon to going to drench us. Ahh Vancouver - love ya.
lloli
QUOTE(luludoll123 @ Aug 22 2006, 12:49 PM) *

I definitely sense fall upon us - even a week or two ago here. Even though it's hot during the day it's that crispy moist sweet smell in the air in the morning by the beach that get's me thinking about the rain that soon to going to drench us. Ahh Vancouver - love ya.

Mmmm, I was just thinking of this as I stepped out to the car this morning. The air was cool and lovely and got me looking forward to swishing along in the leaves and bundling up in my cozy clothes. I tried on some waterproof shoes today to prepare!
crazyoldcatlady
oooo i love autumn and i can always sense that moment when the air is a little crisper...

so, as i always carry my passport, i was driving north the other weekend and decided that it's about time to hit montreal. now, unfortnately i was low on gas/ it was sunday evening (smile.gif), which quelched an impromptu trip.

but i suppose it's for the better, as i should do it right. so i've come to the thread to elicit the best/cheapest things to do whilst on a weekend vacay to visit our Northern Bretheren (Sisteren?)
dusty
OMG, OMG, OMG. Bob Rae said that a woman's trademark is her smile. Ewwwwwwww.
pepper
oh, my. bob rae, putting his foot in it again eh? i'd like to put my foot in something of his. what a doofus.
pepper
(cross-posted in community forum)

hey chicas in vancouver or with van info...

my girlfriend has just landed in the city with her two kidlets and the place they had lined up to stay fell through at the last minute. they are on their way overseas on not much more than a wing and a prayer, waiting for their emerg passports to be ready, so they don't have a lot of cash. she's got a hostel for tonight ($70, highway robbery!) but nothing is available after that. anyone got a line on a place they could crash? she's thinking of scrounging up a tent and parking it in stanley park, she's that desperate, so if anyone in or around or from vancouver knows of anything at all, please pm me and let me know. thanks so very, very much!!!
dusty
Heh heh. Re: the NDP national convention, "one resolution from the B.C. riding of Nanaimo-Cowichan prefaces its call for withdrawal [from Afghanistan] with the caution that in the current conflict, "Canadian troops risk end up acting like terrorists, destroying communities and killing and maiming innocent people.""

Go Nanaimo-Cowichan! Of course, the odds of that resolution reaching the floor of the convention are apparently slim to none.

Are any Busties going?
butterfly
I think during my lurking around time I saw a "you know you're a bustie when...." thread, and I had a moment like that which I wanted to share.

I live in the UK, and a couple of friends of mine (also from the UK) went to Montreal for the gay olympics. They were telling me about the opening ceremony, which was being shown live on tv, and that your Prime Minister was meant to show to give a speech, but backed out, and that instead he sent a 'gay friendly' minister.

They said that the mayor of Montreal got a really good reception, but when this minister showed instead of the PM, everyone started booing, and he had to leave the stage. Then the mayor came back- lots of cheering- asked everyone to be 'polite', to let the guy speak, but the booing started when the minister came back out.

And even though I know there's loads that I don't know/understand/might have misunderstood about Canadian politics, I felt a little rush of pride, or something. (pride might not be the right word)

And I thought, 'I want to tell the BUSTies in Pardon Me, that my friends think Canadians rock'.
erinjane
Any winnipegers gearing up for the mayoral election? I'm pretty much positive I'm voting for kaj. www.kaj.ca, but the pickings are rather slim. I fucking hate sam katz.
freckleface2727
I don't mean to intrude but I just read about the shooting at Dawson College in Montreal.
my thoughts went immediately to all in this forum that are from there.

my heart goes out to all our Busties who may have any connection to this, and to everyone in general just bc it's so awful. I hope they are all ok.

((((((((Canadian Busties)))))))))))
pollystyrene
((Canadian Busties))
doodlebug
Montréal busties, or those who have friends/family there, please check in so we know you/your loved ones are safe.

I can't remember who is still connected with Montréal. Can anyone who knows PM them and ask them to check in?
erinjane
(((Montreal Busties)))

I hope that no one on here was personally affected.
lloli
thinking of montreal busties...
edie52
I used to go to Dawson; I graduated in May of 2005. I still know a few people who go there, as well as friends and siblings of friends. My brother almost went there this year, that's the first thing I thought of when I heard the news. I still haven't heard whether everyone's okay, other than my close friends, all of whom I've spoken with. When it happened I was at my university, Concordia, which is only about a 5 minute walk from Dawson. The restaurant where I work is about a block from there, and I first went there as a Dawson student.

I know the school and that area of the city so well, and I used to hang out in front of the school all of the time, so watching the footage it was so easy for me to imagine what it was like for those kids on what started as a totally normal day. I feel blessed that it didn't happen when I was there (or at Concordia), but I feel awful for the victims and their friends and families, and for all of the terrified students.
bluejupiter
I used to live 3 blocks from Dawson, and am now about an 8 min. bus ride away.
I could hear the sirens all afternoon, so creepy when something like that happens in your backyard.

I'm always in that area and my boyfriend was supposed to be at one of the malls for lunch yesterday. Thank god he wasn't.

I feel so sad for all the people involved. While I'm glad the press was covering it, I really hated seeing people put cameras right in the faces of those who were injured.

So many rumours still going around about it all too. About how many gunmen there were (i realize the press is saying 1, but accounts from people who were there say more than 1), whether that person committed suicide (can dish it out but can't take it eh? coward).

I hope there are no more fatalities.
dusty
Attention Toronto Busties:
The city of Toronto decided on Tuesday to freeze funding to sexual health
centres, such as Immigrant Women's Health Centre, Hassle Free Clinic,
the North York Birth Control and VD Information, as well as Toronto Public
Health sexual health centres. These centres provide an important service
and have suffered through years of under funding. The amount that they will no
longer be getting is relatively small (about $3.5 million). Please consider sending
a letter to Mayor Miller and your councillor. You can find your councillor's email address
at http://app.toronto.ca/im/council/councillors.jsp. It will just take a few
minutes of your time, but could have a tremendous impact for many, especially women.
pepper
oh, uh huh, that's going to alla my friends back in onterrible right away...
the women's centres here got all their funding cut, it is tragic.
thanks for posting that...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.