Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Pardon me (I'm Canadian)
The BUST Lounge > Forums > Friends and Family
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18
erinjane
I probably should have posted this before the fact, but Take Back The Night was in Winnipeg tonight. It was fantastic. I ended up being right at the front so i'm watching the news in 30 minutes to see if i'm gonna be on. tongue.gif
erinjane
Equality-seeking organizations ask for support:

Two prominent national women’s organizations have issued a call for support. The National Association of Women and the Law (NAWL) and the Canadian Feminist Alliance for International Action (FAFIA) find themselves in a precarious financial situation. They have had to temporarily lay off staff and may have to close their offices as of November 1, 2006.

Grant applications submitted independently by NAWL and FAFIA to the Women’s Program at Status of Women Canada have been stalled for a significant period of time. It is not clear if this situation is related to the mandatory review of the Women’s Program now underway. Since 1974, NAWL has been committed to research, education, mobilisation and lobbying for law reform to achieve equality and human rights for all women. Since 1999, FAFIA has been the lead civil society organization in Canada focusing on governments’ commitments under the UN Convention on the Elimination of All Forms of Discrimination against Women (CEDAW).

Both organizations are asking individuals and equality-seeking organizations across Canada to write the Honourable Beverley Oda, Minister responsible for the Status of Women, to request that their funding applications be immediately considered and approved.

E-mail: oda.b@parl.gc.ca and Beverley_Oda@pch.gc.ca Copy: info@fafia-afai.org

Please send emails to these addresses. Harper is about to drastically cut the funding for Status of Women Canada and many Women's Centres and Organizations across the country have had to shut down or lay people off. This is an extremely serious issue for equality for people in Canada. Please take the two minutes to send a quick email. Beverley Oda is doing nothing to stop this from happening. Shame her into it if you have to.
doodlebug
The Conservatives just pulled the plug on Status of Women Canada. That's the funding mentioned below, and funding for other women's groups across Canada, including women's centres.
runningwestward
Ok I missed something in my week away... What is happening? I can't find anything on what's been cut etc. Oh except this: (which just boils the blood) (that's what you get for googling and then reading the first article to come up and you are still all jet leggy and wobbly)

http://www.edmontonsun.com/News/Columnists...24/1888704.html

OK I guess part of the problem is that she's writing for the Sun. But still!

(I can't make my links pretty. I can never remember how)
oceandessa
QUOTE(runningwestward @ Sep 26 2006, 02:53 PM) *

Ok I missed something in my week away... What is happening? I can't find anything on what's been cut etc. Oh except this: (which just boils the blood) (that's what you get for googling and then reading the first article to come up and you are still all jet leggy and wobbly)

http://www.edmontonsun.com/News/Columnists...24/1888704.html

OK I guess part of the problem is that she's writing for the Sun. But still!

(I can't make my links pretty. I can never remember how)

What fucking country does this chick live in? And how come I didn't get the memo over all barriers to gender equality being "smashed"?

I would like to give her credit for mentioning the lack of a day care program, but really, she needs a reality pill of some sort.
doodlebug
I can't go read the article right now, as I can't handle that stuff at the moment.

Anyway, it doesn't say much about it, but here is an article that confirms a cut of $5 million from Status of Women. What it sounds like to me from talking with other feminists is that they've only approved proposals that they already had in, and they aren't going to be able to approve anymore because they no longer have a mandate.

What's really pissing me off is that the NDP is taking credit for getting anything at all, but I really think they are responsible for the cuts - I think Status would have slipped under the radar until at least after the next election if they hadn't made such a big media stink.

But it's always about politicking with the NDP - even though I love them, it's really, really starting to piss me off. We just got kind of screwed by our local NDP guy - he's not elected, but he ran for MP last time and he's running again. Anyway, we asked him to be prepared to write a supportive statement about our submission to the BC Finance Committee today, because we're closing the centre, and instead, he leaked our closure to the media and took all our autonomy away with regard to controlling our own information. Just so he could politick.

Sorry to rant, but I haven't been able to get that out yet, and now I have! smile.gif
oceandessa
QUOTE(doodlebug @ Sep 26 2006, 04:10 PM) *

But it's always about politicking with the NDP

Yep. If the last election taught me anything is that the NDP's mission was to get more seats, and fuck actual governing. I voted for them, but I am not sure what I will be doing in future elections. What good is democracy when none of the parties are really interested in what Canadians want/need?

Blech.
erinjane
Fuck.
fina
Totally fucking sucks.

I love that they are taking away the $12 M funding for pine beetle infestation prevention and research because it didn't seem necessary... and then later in the same article (in the TO Star) they mention how actually the pine beetle situation is getting worse and will probably cut huge swathes of destruction through western forests.

And the medical marijuana breeding trials are kaput as well. Lovely.

In lighter news I am LOVING the idea of Tie Domi and Belinda Stronach together. It is so strange.
erinjane
Another thing about the whole thing that pisses me off is that NOBODY KNOWS ABOUT THIS. And it's not people's fault they don't know, but no one is covering the story. Why?! The only reason I know is because I work in a Women's Centre and I have a class with the head of the WS program at uni and she pleaded with us to send emails.

And I bet we won't hear much about it now, either. My job relied on money from the margaret lawrence endowment fund for women's studies, so this could mean that they won't have the money for me to continue working there next year.
doodlebug
(((((erinjane)))))

Status is what pays most of my wage, too. Although I've been expecting we'd lose it, so I've been expecting to lose my job.

There are several women's groups sending out press releases - the media are being quite shit-headed about not covering it, I agree.
erinjane
I'm so sad about your women's centre though, doodlebug. Our's, here in Manitoba, has gotten a lot of press coverage this year and gets a lot of money for united way, so I know the whole centre isn't in trouble. They've actually been really lucky.
The funding for my particular position comes from somewhere else though. They had a little thing on the CBC radio 1 today but it only talked about general cuts and wasn't specific.

So angry in general though.
runningwestward
Thanks for clarifying... one more question. They specify that the cuts are from admin. But I always tend to think that's just a cover and the cuts are really a general sort of things and that they name admin just to make it seem less bad. So where is the 5million being cut from?

I can't believe their cutting the pine beatle thing either! You just need to drive from Vancouver to Kelowna to see that problem.

I'm in a riled up mood today... I've already fired off two complaint letters... Amazon and British Airways. I have "the rage"!
doodlebug
Apologies for the length of this post, but since no one seems to be getting the info, I'll share what I have. Please do copy and forward to women you know....

-------

Cuts to Status of Women and Court Challenges Program Undermine Government's Commitment to Women's Equality

September 25, 2006
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Ottawa: FAFIA, a pan-Canadian alliance of women's and human rights organizations, is denouncing the $5 million cut to the federal department of Status of Women over two years. These cuts will be taken from its modest annual budget of $13 million. The grants and contributions arm ($11 million) of the department was not affected.

"These cuts will critically affect the federal government's own capacity to live up to its equality commitments to women," said Shelagh Day, Co-Chair of the Canadian Feminist Alliance for International Action (FAFIA).

FAFIA is also dismayed by the elimination of the Court Challenges Program. "This Program has provided Canadian women with their only access to the use of their constitutional equality rights," said Shelagh Day. "Equality rights have no meaning in Canada if women, and other Canadians who face discrimination, cannot use them."

"Constitutional cases are too expensive for women to mount on their own. Without this test case fund, women simply do not have access to the courts when their rights are violated."

During the last federal election campaign, Stephen Harper promised to "take concrete and immediate measures.to ensure that Canada fully upholds its commitments to women." These cuts are not consistent with Mr. Harper's election promise," said Day

Status of Women Canada is responsible for equipping the federal government to conduct gender based analysis of all policies and programs. It also provides internal expertise on specific policy initiatives. The department's budget is one of the smallest of any department at the federal level.

An Expert Panel on accountability mechanisms for gender equality, that made its report just before the last federal election, concluded that Status of Women Canada needed to be significantly strengthened in order to better perform its function as a watchdog for women's equality. The cut to SWC ignores those crucial recommendations.

-------

Not sure which provincial advisory council this is fromIt's Newfoundland

MEDIA RELEASE

Federal Conservatives Betray Commitments to Women's Equality:
Provincial Advisory Council Responds to Cuts to Status of Women Canada

September 26, 2006
For immediate release:

The Provincial Advisory Council on the Status of Women is alarmed by the federal government's decision to cut 1 billion dollars in spending. "The federal government signaled its intention to make these cuts last spring, and our worst fears are being realized," says Leslie MacLeod, President. "They are eliminating 1% of their overall spending by eliminating or reducing critical social programs."

The Advisory Council denounces the decision to cut the federal Department of Status of Women Canada by $5 million over two years. These cuts will be taken from its modest budget of $13 million per year. It is one of the smallest federal departments but has a huge role in advancing women's equality. This department provides critical analysis of the effect of policies and programs on women.

"Status of Women Councils and other equality-seeking women's groups in our province also receive project funding from Status of Women Canada. We are very concerned they will no longer have access to the funds they need to continue their important work," says Ms MacLeod.

The Advisory Council also condemns the decision to shut down the Court Challenges Program of Canada. Yesterday, federal Treasury Board President John Baird stated, "I just don't think it makes sense for the government to subsidize lawyers to challenge government's laws in court." The Advisory Council disagrees.

Ms. MacLeod stated, "The Court Challenges Program has provided women with their only access to courts when their rights are violated. The decision to eliminate this vital program is a clear signal that advancing equality rights is not a priority of the federal government. Mr. Baird's comment in and of itself defies both the spirit and intent of the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms."

Prior to the 2006 federal election, Stephen Harper stated to Canadian women that: "If elected, I will take concrete and immediate measures, as recommended by the United Nations, to ensure that Canada fully upholds its commitments to women in Canada." However, yesterday's cuts are proof that the Prime Minister has no intention of upholding his commitments to Canadian women.

According to Ms. MacLeod: "The reduction in funding to Status of Women Canada and the elimination of the Court Challenges Program of Canada, along with other social spending cuts, fly in the face of recommendations made by equality-seeking groups and the United Nations. This is certainly not what Canadian women or the United Nations Committee on the Elimination of All Forms of Discrimination Against Women had in mind."

-------

Ottawa, September 26, 2006
National Council of Women of Canada
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

NCWC RESPONDS TO FEDERAL BUDGET CUTS

Stephen Harper promised to “take concrete and immediate measures …to ensure that Canada fully upholds its commitments to women.”

The elimination of the Court challenges Program will deny legal redress to poor and marginlized women: the Conservative Government is abrogating CEDAW Article 2 ( c ) To establish legal protection of the rights of women on an equal basis with men and to ensure through competent national tribunals and other public institutions the effective protection of women against any act of discrimination. The Charter of Rights and Freedoms does not include the financial means by which to access the courts on an equal basis with the wealthiest citizens or corporations when a individual’s rights have been violated.

Harper’s Government cut $5 million from the Status of Women budget despite the recommendations of the Parliamentary Committee, representing all parties in the house, to an increase in the budget of at least 25%. How does this action live up to his promised commitment to Canadian women?

-------

Government's real priorities revealed

Media Statement
September 26, 2006

OTTAWA, Sept. 26 /CNW/ - We are deeply concerned about the gutting of the only federal agency that addresses critical questions pertaining to equality and about what it suggests about what this government's true intentions are for equality matters in Canada.

Announced Monday, the 5 million dollar cut to Status of Women Canada (SWC) is a serious attack on the lone federal department engaged in the development of gender responsive policy and in the fulfillment of Canada's human rights obligations to women at the international, domestic, and inter-governmental levels.

We now see the government's real priorities revealed.

SWC is home to the Women's Program which funds organizations that monitor and work to uphold Canada's accountability to the principles of equality enshrined in the Charter and in the UN Convention on the Elimination of All Forms of Discrimination against Women (CEDAW).

The announcement of the SWC cut follows last week's 11th hour restitution of federal funding to some national women's organizations by Minister Beverley Oda and appears to be the latest cat-and-mouse game being played with the values held by a majority of Canadians.

The strength and integrity of SWC is integral to efforts of organizations working to protect women's rights. We do work such as this because while some crucial legal reforms have granted equality to women in Canada, the substance of daily life for many women fails to live up to the promise that formal structures indicate.

The gap between real-life experience and legal equality is the basis for much of the work undertaken by SWC and the women's groups it supports. Until now, they were together supported at the bargain-basement cost of $24 million federal dollars a year (compared to the $15 billion announced by Harper in June for military vehicles over the next few years).

The announced set of cuts raises serious concerns about the Harper Government's ability to effectively steward the social values of Canadians. As such, we will be watching closely in the coming weeks for what other truths are revealed regarding this government's commitment to women's equality in Canada, and to the full equality of all citizens.

Signed:

Canadian Council for Muslim Women (CCMW)
Canadian Federation of University Women (CFUW)
Canadian Feminist Alliance for International Action (FAFIA)
Canadian Research Institute for the Advancement of Women (CRIAW)
Child Care Advocacy Association of Canada (CCAAC)
DAWN Ontario: DisAbled Women's Network
MATCH International
Womenspace
YWCA Canada
doodlebug
Hey there...don't know if anyone is around, but wanted to give an update. I spoke with an ally inside Status of Women today. She said it's not as bad as they thought it was going to be. They have cut the Court Challenges program, and also the Policy Research Directorate - the latter is where they contracted researchers to explore if/how different government policies might be impacting women and girls more negatively as a group. (This was a really, really important piece of work, IMHO. We've always depended on that research to inform our work as activists.) The other piece is that every office is going to have to make cutbacks to meet the 2 year goal of implementing the administration cut. But she had some positive things to say - they didn't cut the Women's Program, which is what provides grants to groups like ours. They will tighten up the terms and conditions regarding the grant program, and those are supposed to be posted to the Status of Women Canada website on Monday. She also said, which I thought was interesting, that she felt these cuts would be "humbling," in that SWC would recognize how much women's groups had been suffering these last several years, and would have more empathy and respect for those of us out on the front lines. She felt it was almost karmic for them to go through what we've all gone through, to have to experience the same struggle as women fighting for women's equality. And she also felt the department does have the capacity to pull through and become a "leaner, meaner fighting machine." Which would mean that when we do get a women-friendly government again, SWC will be able to come out even stronger. I told her that was an amazing, positive, fighting attitude. I didn't tell her that we women's groups all thought the same things, once! Anyway, that is my report. smile.gif
doodlebug
Fuck, this is outrageous. We are losing everything as Canadian women.....
--------------------

New Federal Guidelines Bar Advocacy and Lobbying
by Women's Groups
October 4, 2006
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Ottawa: At a meeting yesterday with women's groups, Beverley Oda, Minister Responsible for the Status of Women (SWC), informed representatives that new federal guidelines for funding will prohibit them from engaging in any advocacy or lobbying activities with federal funds. Women were also told that the federal government has no intention of reversing a 5 million dollar cut to the department's budget, despite wide-spread pressure to do so.

"The Minister's narrowing of the rules severely limits our ability to advocate for systemic change when it comes to justice, legal and other matters of concern to women in Canada," said Alia Hogben, Executive Director of the Canadian Council of the Muslim Women.

"The prohibition on advocacy or lobbying with federal dollars is undemocratic - and punitive to those with the least resources," added Edeltraud Neal of the Canadian Federation of University Women- Ottawa.

Last week, the government announced a 38.5% cut to Status of Women Canada's budget, signaling what women's groups regard as an effort to undermine some longstanding women's equality initiatives. "In the absence of a critical mass of women in either Parliament or the Cabinet, advocacy by women's groups has been a hallmark of Canada's democracy," said Neal.

Women's organizations have received federal funds over the years to analyze government policies, develop proposals that reflect the needs of women in their communities, and advocate for change.

"It is clear to us that this government is out of touch with the realities of ordinary women in Québec and Canada. Minister Oda does not appear to fully understand that systemic discrimination for women still persists, as documented by a widely respected Statistics Canada report in March 2006," remarked Michèle Asselin, President of la Fédération des femmes du Québec, the largest women's organization in Québec.

In response, women's organizations have immediately requested a meeting with Prime Minister Harper. In a written statement to FAFIA during the last federal election, the Prime Minister committed to "support women's human rights" and "take concrete and immediate measures, as recommended by the United Nations, to ensure that Canada fully upholds its commitments to women in Canada."

"Recent actions of the federal government are not consistent with this commitment," said Bonnie Diamond of the Canadian Feminist Alliance for International Action (FAFIA). "We would like Mr. Harper to be accountable to women."

Yesterday's meeting with the Minister included representatives from the Canadian Council of Muslim Women, Canadian Federation of University Women, Canadian Research Institute of the Advancement of Women, FAFIA, Fédération des femmes du Québec, National Association of Women and the Law, National Council of Women, and the National Organization of Immigrant and Visible Minority Women.

For further information, contact 613-232-9505, x222 or 613-292-7941 (cell).
erinjane
Ahh! This is just so frusturating to stand by and be aware and not be able to do anything. Yesterday at work I tossed out all the pamphlets for the Court Challenges Program and it was so depressing.

Again, luckily, our centre got more news coverage last week and donations have been coming on, not huge ones, but donations none the less. smile.gif
oceandessa
I fucking hate this government.
HATE them.

I am so scared of what they'll do next. Like that insane rumour about religion protection against gay marriage. Fuckwit denied it, but I don't trust him.
doodlebug
I think the worst bit is that this comes after years of cuts by various provincial cuts have already weakened feminist organizations. The province of BC cut women's centres because they won't fund advocacy. Now the feds won't - so nobody will be able to speak up for women's human rights unless they are independently wealthy. And as we know, being independently wealthy invariably cancels out the desire to speak up for human rights.

Not to mention, this is completely a violation of Canada's UN obligations.

And a direct result of those freaks, R.E.A.L. Women, doing their own lobbying.

I am so angry.

How can this even be Canada anymore? This is not what we are all about!!! Our armed forces are being killed, when we're supposed to be the world's peacekeepers, and our women's equality rights are being flushed down the toilet, when we're supposed to be the world's leader in human rights. What are these fuckwits doing???

ETA: if anyone is interested, there is a great article on the rise of the religious right in Stephen Harper's Ottawa, in the October issue of The Walrus. Unfortunately, you can't read the whole article online (I picked it up in the airport). I did learn a new phrase from it, though - we have known about the "neo-cons," which are economic conservatives, and now we can call the social conservatives "theo-cons."
agent_wasabi
*delurks*

i work in a national non-profit org and i've been feeling depressed about the cuts ever since they were announced... i think we'll be able to ride it out but it frightens me to think of how much this will (and already has) impacted so many grassroots groups and non-profits in smaller communities. our org has built this website in response: Response to Cuts: a Coalition of Canadian non-profits building a Communities Agenda

i am meeting with my local MP next week too... never met with an MP before so i'm a little nervous, but i'm tired of sitting around feeling frustrated. i need to engage in some form of resistance because i'm scared of what this conservative government has in store for us.
erinjane
There was some young woman talking on CBC the other day about how she was glad the cuts had been made because women shouldn't have to get this extra money to be considered equal so we should stop whining.

*banging head against walls*
doodlebug
In the efforts to keep getting the info out, here is a new website I just got news of:

ODA AND HARPER TO GET A REAL-ITY CHECK:
Website to combat inaccuracies and indifference towards Status Of Women Canada

HALIFAX/OTTAWA, October 11, 2006 - A new website launches today to rally support for Status of Women Canada (SWC) and related issues. Statusreport.ca will house objective information about the federal agency, along with tools and motivation for people to lobby the federal government to revisit changes made to the agency's funding and objectives.

<snip>
erinjane
Awesome website. I just used their email advice to email my MP and Oda (again). I sent it along to my professor as well.
anarch
An American decided to write a book about famous churches around the world.

So he bought a plane ticket and took a trip to Orlando, thinking that he would start by working his way across the USA from South to North.

On his first day he was inside a church taking photographs when he noticed a golden telephone mounted on the wall with a sign that read $10,000 per call".

The American asked a priest who was strolling by what the telephone was used for.

The priest replied that it was a direct line to heaven and that for $10,000 you could talk to God. The American thanked the priest and went along his way.

Next stop was in Atlanta. There, at a very large cathedral, he saw the same golden telephone with the same sign under it.

He wondered if this was the same kind of telephone that he had seen in Orlando. He asked a nearby nun what its purpose was.

She told him that it was a direct line to heaven and that for $10,000 he could talk to God. "O.K., thank you," said the American.

He then traveled to Indianapolis, Washington DC, Philadelphia, Boston, and New York.

In every church he saw the same golden telephone with the same $10,000 per call" sign under it.

The American, upon leaving Vermont decided to travel to up to Canada to see if Canadians had the same phone.

He arrived in Canada, and again, in the first church he entered, there was the same golden telephone, but this time the sign under it read "40 cents per call".

The American was surprised so he asked the priest about the sign. "Father, I've traveled all over America and I've seen this same golden telephone in many churches. I'm told that it is a direct line to Heaven, but in the US the price was $10,000 per call.

Why is it so cheap here?"

The priest smiled and answered, "You're in Canada now, son - it's a local call".
oceandessa
I find it so fucking offensive that our political leaders are using the suffering of Lebanese and Israeli people as a dirty political tool to divide Canadians where no division should be. I am so fucking sick of them all; I want my neutral peace-promoting gay-accepting Canada, Goddamn it.
doodlebug
I don't know if I posted this or not (this is a drive by), but there's a great article in the October 2006 edition of The Walrus Magazine, called "Stephen Harper and the Theo-cons: the rising clout of Canada's religious right."

Also, if anyone is interested, I have a great paper I can e-mail out. It's called "Fighting the Blues: What the Social Conservative Agenda Means to Women." Published by the Canadian Labour Congress, June 2006, for their National Women's Conference. If you want a copy of this, PM me with your e-mail address and I'll forward it to you - it's a PDF attachment.
doodlebug
Ok, for the sake of injecting a leedle lightheartedness....is anybody still following For Better or For Worse?

WHAT the hell is going on in Lizardbreath's universe? Is anybody disturbed by the apparent forthcoming get-together between Liz and Anthony? Is anybody disturbed by how the adventurous, spirited Liz is now giving up her independence to move back home (with Mom and Dad!), and is now apparently coveting sweet Stepford bliss with a ready-made family, even though she is engaged to hot Mountie who's put in TWO transfers to be with her??? Even more disturbing is that the Anthony character (aka the Stepford ex-boyfriend in question) is shown fantasizing about making out with Liz while she's dealing with going to court as a witness against the guy who tried to sexually assault her?

What the hell is going on in Lynn Johnston's brain!?

I'm starting to take this personally.
emtee
waaaait a second, Liz and the hot Mountie are engaged?! How did I miss that?!

I understand that Lynn Johnson is wrapping up the series, but I still find it sad. Especially now that I can actually feel it wrapping up.

boo.
doodlebug
Hmmm...maybe I'm mistaken about the "engaged" part. Still, when a guy is transfering his work to be with you, that's pretty close to "engaged" in Lynn Johnston's world.

It does feel weird, but it feels weirder that it's going to end with a regression-from-the-outside-world romance story for the daughter. Ugh. I wish for her to find her calling in bringing literacy to the developing world or something, and walk away from all of them.
erinjane
I think she is engaged. I missed it too. But I think one of the recent ones where she's just moved back home mentined they were engaged.
dusty
I missed that. But then I missed the boyfriend's second transfer as well.

That's great that the government will be cutting greenhouse gas emissions in half by 2050, because by 2050 it will be a moot point.
dusty
Hey all, please don't forget to participate in across Canada rallies Saturday, October 28 to protest our involvement in Aghanistan!

http://www.acp-cpa.ca/en/Oct28Events.htm
erinjane
http://cmte.parl.gc.ca/cmte/CommitteePubli...SourceId=175707

If anyone wants to read through that loooooooong document, you can read Beverley Oda's vision of women's equality and her answer to committee members' questions no her work.
fina
Hey BC girls- well, really just Vancouver Island girls I guess- I'll be in Victoria from 3-17 November and would love to see your fabulous selves. I expect weekend is best for you all? Is the 10th or 11th ok? Lemmeno.

I am already gearing up to resist the hypnotic pull of MEC but I think it will be too hard.
dusty
I want
jkat
hey fina,

i am a vic bustie....i know i don't post here all that often, but it would be fun to meet some van island busties!!! i wonder if there are any others...

and mec is not so bad...hehe
fina
Oh Dusty, that does look pretty great.

It's not that MEC is bad, it's getting out of there and still having any money left that's hard. I just love everything in there and there is nothing in the UK like it.

Jkat, excellent! There are at least 4 Vic busties I've met before, all monkeys in a barrel level of fun. We'll have to meet up for drinks and nibbles!
agent_wasabi
hey jkat! yup, there are lots of vic busties. in fact, we often get together for drinks, and would love to meet you! i just sent you a PM, although i'm not totally sure how it works...

and fina, it would be fab to see you. i might be going away that weekend, but hopefully we can connect. it's been far too long since our last boozy-foody-bustie get-together!
jkat
hey wasabi and fina!

that's great! and here i was thinking i was the only vic bustie. silly me!
erinjane
Great news!

http://www.statusreport.ca/?q=node/71

Passed! Recommendation to REVERSE the cuts
BIG NEWS! On October 31, 2006, the following motion was passed at a meeting of the House of Commons Status of Women Committee. The motion was initiated by Maria Minna, Status of Women critic for the Liberal Party. Official meeting minutes can be found here.

SO WHAT DOES THIS MEAN? A recommendation in the form of a motion passed by a committee gets presented to the House of Commons in period reports from the committee chair. The chair of this committee, Judy Sgro, will nudge this resolution along, and we'll keep you posted on its progress on this page.

Minna's motion regarding recent Cuts to Status of Women Canada:

Whereas the recent $5 million in cuts to the operating budget of the Status of Women Canada places in jeopardy the valuable work done in this department to promote the equality women and;

Whereas these cuts will make it harder for women across the country to participate in the economic, social, cultural and political aspects of society and;

Whereas the draconian changes to the Terms and Conditions to the Women’s Program under Status of Women undermines the very basis of our democracy * the ability to advocate on behalf of vulnerable groups and;

Whereas removing “equality” as one of the goals of the program sends a chilling message to the dedicated equality-seeking organizations throughout the country.

Pursuant to Standing Order 108(2), that the Standing Committee on the Status of Women (SWC) recommends that the government reverse the $5 million in cuts to the operating budget of SWC and re-instate the original Terms and Conditions of the Women’s Program and that the Chair report the adoption of this motion to the House without delay.

PASSED.
erinjane
More yet...
I'm having a great time harassing my MP. I hate him. He sent me back a form letter last week and I sent him another well-informed one letting him know that that's not good enough for me. Anyways, send something along if you can.

"Join the December 10 th campaign for Women's Equality and Human
Rights in Canada

Dear friends:

We are an ad hoc group of nationally and regionally based
organizations (see below) which are very concerned about the
negative impact on women of many of the federal government's
recent decisions. These decisions include: 1/ changes to the
funding criteria for women's groups, such as the removal of the
word equality and barring of all advocacy and lobbying by women's
groups (with federal funds); 2/ c uts to the operating budget of
Status of Women Canada in the order of approximately 40%; 3/
cancellation of the Court Challenges Program; 4/, refusal to adopt
improved pay equity legislation and; 5/ cancellation of a pan-
Canadian child care program resulting in cuts of $1.2 billion
annually to provinces and territories for child care services.

These decisions are an affront to women, and the groups that
defend women's rights. They are also a departure from Canada's
long-standing commitment to the promotion of women's equality and
human rights.

In response, we are organizing a campaign which will challenge the
federal government to immediately improve its record on women's
equality and human rights, and encourage all Members of Parliament
to speak up on behalf of women. It is critical that Canada
maintain its leadership as a forward looking country that values
the progressive realization of all women's human rights.

The campaign begins on Monday, November 13th and will go until
Sunday, December 10th, International Human Rights Day. It has
four components . We invite individuals and organizations to join
us in one or all of these initiatives:

1- Lobby your Member of Parliament (MP)
2- Write to Prime Minister Harper
3- Mobilize locally before December 10 (on Friday December
8,2006 if you can)
4- Rally in Ottawa on December 10.

MPs will be in their ridings next week (the week of November 13th)
for the Remembrance Day break of the House of Commons. We invite
you to contact your MP at this time or anytime before December 10
th . If he or she is a Conservative, please share your concerns.
If they represent an Opposition party, invite them to show their
support for women's equality and human rights advocacy by
presenting a statement in the House.

To assist you, we have prepared:

§ a model letter to Prime Minister Harper that groups and
individuals can use as is or adapt ;
§ One page fact sheets on the following key issues; pay
equity, childcare, cuts to Status of Women Canada, changes to the
terms and conditions of the Women's Program and Canada's
compliance with the UN Convention on the Elimination of
Discrimination Against Women (available at www.criaw-icref.ca)
§ A one page lobby guide for your efforts with your Member
of Parliament,
§ A model statement (called a Standing Order 31) that MP's
can read in the House of Commons
§ A model press release that you can use or adapt to
share the news of your activities between now and December 10th.

WHY DECEMBER 10TH ?

December 10, 2006 is International Human Rights Day. It will also
mark the 25th anniversary date of Canada 's ratification of the UN
Convention on the Elimination of all forms of Discrimination
against Women (CEDAW). Instead of celebrating this historic
milestone, we will be mobilizing to ensure that Prime Minister
Harper respects his own election commitment to uphold women's
equality and human rights in Canada. During the 2006 election
campaign, Mr Harper stated:

"If elected, I will take concrete and immediate measures, as
recommended by the United Nations, to ensure that Canada fully
upholds its commitments to women in Canada." ( January 18, 2006,
http://www.fafia-afai.org/en/node/68).

In 2003 the United Nations recommended that Canada double its
efforts to:

implement pay equity,
support a national childcare program,
enhance the Court Challenges Program;
consult women's equality-seeking groups regarding the preparation
of Canada's next CEDAW report (which is happening now).

In addition, the Committee recommended Canada accelerate its
efforts to eliminate the persistent and system discrimination
faced by so many Aboriginal women, increase its efforts to combat
high levels of poverty among particular groups of women, fund
civil legal aid , effectively address violence against women,
improve maternity and parental benefits, change immigration laws
to respect the rights of live-in caregivers, and ensure a more
equitable participation of women in the political institutions, .

This campaign is important because we need to protect and advance
the rights and freedoms that we have won after patient and
determined struggle throughout the 20 th Century. Women in Canada
can not afford to have further setbacks and our country has the
wealth and know-how to honour and respect women's equality and
human rights. It is a question of choices.
TO CONTACT US:
womenactionfemmes@gmail.com

In solidarity,
Canadian Council of Muslim Women
Canadian Federation of University Women
Canadian Labour Congress
Canadian Research Institute for the Advancement of Women
Child Care Advocacy Association of Canada
Fédération des femmes du Québec
Feminist Alliance for International Action
National Association of Women and the Law
Regroupement provincial des maisons d'hébergement et de transition
pour femmes victimes de violence conjugale
YWCA Canada

The December 10th campaign for women's human rights"

I have handy email attachments for letter writing if anyone wants. tongue.gif
culturehandy
erinjane, who is your MP? The MP in my riding is equally a moron.
erinjane
Steven Fletcher. He's horrible. He used to be president of University of Manitoba and I've heard all sorts of horrible stories about his time there.
culturehandy
Oh Erin jane, my sympathies go out to you. I was at the U of M for the end of his reign of terror. Let me see, what did he try to do? Ahhh yes. He trtied to shut down The Manitoban, the students newspaper. He tried to sue The Manitoban, he was corrupt. The boys club that was in charge all got either shiney new laptops or gold rings, used from students fees. He is useless, and such a typical shootout from the Asper school of business at U of M that he is just oozing right wing politics. He such a fucking idiot, and him and his band of thieves mismanaged the UMSU funds so much, that they only finally, recovered last year. *Shudders*
erinjane
Any Toronto busties here? I figure there must be.

I'm going to a conference there in September and my hotel expense will be covered for that night, at the Metropolitan Hotel, but I want to go out a few days early because I've never been. Does anyone know of any decently priced downtown hotels?
runningwestward
Victoria busties? Anyone else frickin' freezing? I'm staying at my parents place on the Saan Penn and we didn't have power last night. It's frickin' freezing in here. And the Uni is closed so it's yet another day of no work for this girl... that's 4 day of no work in the first 2 weeks of my new job... yikes! Stay warm!
culturehandy
I know that the ugly storm system is headed this way. But, they are saying that things aren't going to be nearly as bad as they were in B.C. Stay warm West Canadian Busties.
pho#1
yikes no power?
luckily we have a woodstove (i'm on the sunshine coast). it's supposed to get down to -12 C tonight!! just gonna hunker down by the fire for a few days.
doodlebug
I live in the Thompson-Okanagan part of BC....my sliding balcony door is frozen shut! Other than the balcony, I have really well-insulated windows...but I still slept under a thick down duvet AND an oversized afghan last night. (And I'm usually a hot sleeper!) It is supposed to be -12 here today.
oceandessa
RW - When did you move to Victoria?!

To answer your question - yes, I am frickin freezing here too. I heard some places got up to 2 ft of snow. Crazy. It was hilarious watching BC drivers trying to navigate the snow yesterday; as a former Ontarian, I feel quite tickled by this. And I get to have a snow day because I work on campus, though I actually worked from home today, so not officially a holiday.

Hot damn is it ever pretty though.

What does everyone think about this "Quebec as a nation" thingy? Does it really mean anything? Are we going to declare every linguistic and cultural enclave its own nation now? What about First Nations? I am very confused by the whole thing.

Also, is anyone watching the London North Center byelection today? I wonder if May will make it. I will be shocked if that riding votes Green, but it looks like a damn close election.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.