Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Pardon me (I'm Canadian)
The BUST Lounge > Forums > Friends and Family
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18
culturehandy
Doodle, it's making news all over the place. It made CNN and BBC.

It's horrible. And it has mental health written all over it.
courtiegirl
Can anyone tell me why americans make fun of canadians so much? I never understood why, and I don't live in Canada but I'm French Canadian by heritage so insults naturally offend me as well.
edie52
Well, if you lived in Canada you'd know that Canadians make fun of Americans a lot, too.
erinjane
Hehehe, in fact, I have a feeling that we make more fun of Americans than Americans do of Canadians. I mean, we had a nationally broadcast special on "Talking to Americans".

This one features Mike Huckabee.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8tVbH5NfvQ...feature=related
edie52
LOVE Talking to Americans. Especially the segments that put such specifically Canadian references in bizarre contexts. "Congratulations, Prime Minister Cretien, on your first double double."

ETA: I just watched that clip, so, knee-slappingly good! Even though I'd seen it before. Gotta love Rick Mercer's Newfie accent.
courtiegirl
so then what kinds of things do you guys make fun of us about? i'm curious, and able to take a joke.
auralpoison
My gut answer to the query is, "Because Canadians are fucking retarded."

That, ahem, was a joke.

I think it's pretty simple: Americans make fun of Canadians because it's funny. Canadians make fun of Americans because it's funny. The prevailing attitude is that Canadians are drunk, hockey playing, toque-wearing, overly polite pussies & that Americans are rabid, gun-toting, Jesus loving, gay marriage denying assholes. Both are somewhat true, in EXTREMELY BROAD terms. Like, Great Wall BROAD.

Look at the jibing between the Brits & well . . . almost everybody. You go to Scotland, England, Ireland or Wales & somebody's gonna toss around a sheep shagging joke at somebody else's expense. And really, is there really that much sheep buggery going on? That's a whole lotta livestock love.

I worked with Canadians for several years & I tried to make friends. Most of the Canuck employees were from Van, BC & just had all around lousy attitudes about Americans. They tried, but not very hard. I quit trying after I kept getting comments from them like, "*sniff* I'm *surprised* an American (said like a dirty word) *could* see it that way". There are 300,000,000 of us running around, sorry the zealots get so much press & are so high profile! We're here! We just don't make good global media!

I've met perfectly reasonable Canadians from other provinces that have told me that people from Vancouver are stuck-up, pretentious assholes, though. They had some BC jokes, but they were mostly of the granola variety.
edie52
AP, I was gonna say the same thing about Vancouverites before I read your last paragraph. No offence to Vancouver busties. I've met lots of cool people from the west coast (many of who moved to Montreal to get away from Vancouver), and most of them readily admit that there are a lot of smug, pretentious people there and that Vancouver is becoming increasingly materialistic (the whole "Hollywood North" thing maybe?).

I am about to visit for the first time in a few days, so I'll judge for myself then.

Making fun of Americans is funny to us because we feel we're making fun of this big, boisterous group of people who put themselves out there as the center of the world and don't really know how ridiculous they look to everyone else. I'm not talking about individuals like you guys, but the people we see in the media. There is such an imbalance in that sense- we get a lot of American media and know more about the U.S. than they know about us- so there's a lot of material at our fingertips to use as fuel for jokes (and prejudices). We even make fun of how inaccurate Americans are when they make fun of us.

And I readily admit that most of the people I know (and I'm sure even MORE of the people I don't know, as I live in an urban area) are drunk, hockey playing, toque-wearing, overly polite pussies. The only time we're not overly polite is when we're drunk enough to get mouthy. And Quebs aren't known for being overly polite... that's a whole new set of stereotypes.
culturehandy
Oh don't forget that there are tons of Moose around here. and Polar Bears wander the streets.

Each city has it's own stereotype. I have friends in Van City, but they are all implans there. Torontonians have the reputation of thinking they are the centre of Canada, Winnipeg is some big crime capital like the old west, Saskatchewan where you can see your dog run in front of you for 30 kilometres, Alberta. Well what can be said about that? teehee.

I enjoying poking fun of my friends who live elsewhere. It's all harmless.

auralpoison
Hell, I've known fellow Americans that thought that because I lived in Denver that I skied to work every day & goofy shit like that. No, I take the bus just like you do in Chicago, Rob.

You've got mooooose! You've got geeeeese! Of course you have polar bears running around! And mounties! Don't forget the RCMP & back bacon, eh! Yer a hoser, eh!

It's so odd to me that people don't seem to understand the vastness (Physically, not culturally. No wait, that, too.) of Canada, the US, & Mexico. I knew a Scotsman that decided to come to Canada & the US to visit his friends by Greyhound. He thought it was going to be all Euroline style travel, going from place to exciting place. NOT. That trip down from Canada to NYC to all the way to SF wore his ass out!
girltrouble
ha! i had a knew someone who had a similar story, aural. he had some friends visiting from england for a week. they arrived in colorado, and asked, where should we go to party first, new york or LA. he ofcourse fell out laughing, then explained they would get neither since it would be atleast 3 days travel to LA, and that was the closest. nyc would take close to a week.
thirtiesgirl
Doesn't Dudley Dooright live in Canada?

Oh, and LA is *not* Hollywood. That's just one little crappy part of this whole bunch of ten thousand suburbs looking for a city, and all connected by the 405...or the 101...or the 110...or the 5. Freeways aside, though, pardon me Dale Bozzio, but some of us *do* walk in LA. You can frequently catch me hoofing it down the street to the Hot'n'Tot Cafe for brekkies or to Alberto's Mexican for lunch. I don't need to drive around the corner.

...Anyhoo, back to the Canadians, ya hosers. wink.gif
courtiegirl
Haha thanks, that was enlightening. And very interesting. I see that we know nothing about Canada- never see the media except for travel commercials. I really would like to know more though.
auralpoison
Thirtiesgirl, that was really fucking random. I'm confused. Are you having Canadian bacon & maple syrup for your breakfast?

ETA, GT, we made it from Palm Springs to Denver in under fourteen hours once. Three drivers, three shifts, zero tickets.
Christine Nectarine
QUOTE(culturehandy @ Aug 2 2008, 01:21 PM) *
Doodle, it's making news all over the place. It made CNN and BBC.

It's horrible. And it has mental health written all over it.

the whole thing is really so disturbing, isn't it? i was in disbelief when i first heard the story. i'd be careful about the "mental health" label tho...of course the judge has now called for the perpetrator to have a psychological assessment, which could have any number of results. however, it's important to remember that people with mental illness are not inherently violent. with news events like this, the coverage so often focusses on the "mental health" label in an (understandable) attempt to explain the inexplicable, which unfortunately reinforces the myth that people with mental illness are dangerous.

i doubt anyone will ever be able to adequately explain why this terrible thing happened.
vixen_within
I felt traumatized just reading the story. It must be unbearable to have been a eye-witness.
candycane_girl
I'll admit to being one of the many Canadians who loves watching Rick Mercer's Talking To Americans. It's just so funny what some people will say despite not even knowing what they're talking about. To be fair though, during the credits they show clips of people who are totally aware that what Rick is saying is complete bs.
pepper
sigh, i tried not to hear the details of that story but it was impossible. people Really want to talk about it!

here's a bit of positive canadian news though. yay vancouver!
Christine Nectarine
it's true, the breastfeeding protest is much better news! i wish i could have participated in something like this when i was still nursing the wee one
Christine Nectarine
*braces self*

everyone ready for a federal election?

(whoa, did i kill this thread or what?)
culturehandy
I cannot deal with a federal election and an american election at the same fucking time.

I can NEVER deal with the shit slinging across the border, but not two at the same time. Bah.
geekchickknits
I think Harper just wants to have the election before Obama gets elected in the states and inspires Canadians to wake the fuck up to the politics and policies of the Harper government.
culturehandy
fucking shit.

stooooopid election.
Christine Nectarine
well, take heart sisters: at least our election campaigns only last a little more than a month. i think it's pretty crap that harper bailed on the "fixed election date" plan. first, cancelled the national child care plan, then created a defecit, and now this...
doodlebug
Well, as long as we're in it, let's share.

This is my pick. (And here's his bio.)
erinjane
Christ, that seems quick. Please please please no more conservatives.
Christine Nectarine
doodle, i'm traditionally an NDP supporter as well, but i don't know much about the candidate in my riding since i moved here. will have to investigate. i don't want to become one of those people who just picks a party and stays there without knowing what's going on.

but yes, please no more conservatives! we can hope, right?
geekchickknits
I live in Jack Layton's riding, so my voting choice is pretty easy.

At least this election when the Conservatives lie about being good fiscal managers all the other parties will be able to point out that we are in deficit for the first time in a LONG time.
erinjane
So far I don't have an NDP person running in my riding. I have the idiot Steven Fletcher (who is currently my MP). I hate him, he's such a slimy gross guy. I don't know anything about the liberal guy yet and someone from the green party is running but I don't think I'm cool with a lot of their fiscal stuff. I usually vote liberal in a federal election because I know that NDP would never get in in my riding (we're usually conservative). In provinicial elections I vote NDP though.
erinjane
I just checked out the liberal and green party candidates pages. The green party guy has a blog but it's mostly 1 sentence rants on the conservatives with no suggestions for solutions. I don't see a bio for him but I get the impression from his style of writing that he's younger. The liberal guy is an older retired doctor. He sounds more professional but, meh too. Looks like I'll have some real winners to pick from this time.
starpiste
I honestly haven't read bios in my years of voting. I lived in a vancouver riding where NDP has a wonderful candidate and I always supported her. Now is the first time I've lived outside of that riding. I'm disappointed that my new riding has no Green candidate. My NDP candidate looks pretty decent though. The riding is typically Liberal but our current MP switched to the conservatives a month or so after the last election and it was a big controversy. It'll be interesting to see if/how that effects this election here.
culturehandy
the MP in my riding is some douchebag who sends out pamphlets ad naseum about updated about his life, pictures of his baby (I shit you not) and these useless questionaires about how the liberal party allows crime to happen and the conservatives are tough on crime.

He's a d bag. I don't know who the liberal running is going to be, as it used to be Reg Alcock, nor the NDP. I think I should go check it out.
Christine Nectarine
CH, we get those flyers and rediculous one-sided questionaires too! i bet they send them out in all the conservative ridings. i delight in sending them back having written on all the avaliable white space what my opinion is, as opposed to sticking to their designated check boxes. those things are lousy.
erinjane
I hate those flyers. They're so manipulative. Yuck. I'm just waiting for someone to come knocking on my door and say, "Hey, are your parents home?" And then I'm gonna dig into them with some tough questions. They always think I'm 15 or so when I open the door. sad.gif

I looked up some info on the candidates this morning and none of them really do it for me. I guess this will be another "lesser of two evils" election.
pepper
i love those fliers, whenever else would i send a letter to that mo-fo telling him what i think eh? i to write all over the available white space and return them. it's fun!

can i just say AAAAAHHHHHH!!!! i live very close to the border so you can imagine the frouferah we're already getting with the american election business. i am telling you, i have had Enough! grrr.
doodlebug
I saw my candidate this morning, when I was walking to work! As I approached the bridge, he was out there with a few supporters, waving and holding up signs to the morning commuters. I ran up and gave him a hug, wished him luck, and showed him the big orange "Michael Crawford NDP" pin affixed firmly to my backpack.

I didn't tell him I've been holding on to two of them since the last election. Honestly, a lot of my hopes for my community are pinned on this guy. It's not just that he's NDP, though I've held my breath to vote Liberal federally only twice in my life (once because I was voting in Preston Manning's riding!). It's that I've known him for years, through the local university's Social Work department and through the social justice community. I sat on the board of an anti-poverty group with him. I've built a grudging respect for him over the years. In the beginning, I found him arrogant, but I realized it's that he really is that smart, and he wants you to back up what you say with facts. And he's not really arrogant anymore, I find. I think he's had to learn to be sociable! (He's still a teeny bit awkward with random morning hugs, for example. wink.gif) He really GETS it, that's the thing. He comes at it from a social justice background, and he really cares about the community. He's been really involved at the grassroots level. And I've only spent a little time on Parliament Hill, but from the "snapshot" I got behind the scenes, I know that Michael is the probably one of the few people I've ever met who could do the job, and be really fucking good at it, and not just "be a politician," if that makes any sense. I think he has a real sense of what kind of work it will take to push real change in government. And my luck, Michael decided to run for the NDP in my riding....he had my vote before any elections were ever called, honestly. He's actually the reason I came back to the NDP, as a member.

I just hope he's as popular as I think he is. I feel kind of lucky here: our "rural lady Conservative" incumbent is not running again, and the newbie is unknown and was appointed by the Party, plus the Liberal guy is just kind of whackadoo, honestly. The last time I participated in an all-candidates' forum, I suspected a touch of senility. And Michael's name has been out there, with a lot of respect behind it. He's been a constant and articulate advocate in the media for quite a few years now, and especially since the last election, as The Federal NDP Candidate (who came really fucking close last time). Also, this was an NDP riding when I moved here, and was for years - it's considered a real bellwether riding. I think it just depends on whether or not Michael's won over enough of the rural voters.

So....what about your communities?
geekchickknits
I just saw a commercial for the Conservatives, and their tag line was "Conservatives: We're better off with Harper"

Seriously? SERIOUSLY? I'm not a Conservative fan but that's the best you can do? I wouldn't vote for you just for that reason.
vixen_within
QUOTE(culturehandy @ Sep 8 2008, 12:18 PM) *
the MP in my riding is some douchebag who sends out pamphlets ad naseum about updated about his life, pictures of his baby (I shit you not) and these useless questionaires about how the liberal party allows crime to happen and the conservatives are tough on crime.

He's a d bag. I don't know who the liberal running is going to be, as it used to be Reg Alcock, nor the NDP. I think I should go check it out.

Wow I've never seen those flyers before, must be my riding. You guys should blow them up and fill in the REAL answers or create alternate checkboxes, and post them all over the neighbourhood.

Fucking Harper. Fuck him. Fucker.
culturehandy
On one, it was a question of the environment, so I replied that if the Harper government and his MP's really cared about the government, they wouldn't be sending me out useless flyers.

i also called the office, and said to sopt mailing me this crap, I'm not a conservative supporter and I will enver be a conservative supporter, called them a useless party, etc. And the woman got huffy with me. I was thinking, lady, he's a fucking cockwad!
Christine Nectarine
any thoughts on the greens being left out of the leaders debate?

i think the reason given by jack layton and stephen harper (that elizabeth may be excluded due to her supposed support for dion) is a pretty weak argument. if anything, i would think the reason for exclusion should be based on the fact that the green party has yet to elect a member of parliament. true, they are represented due to the independant MP who joined the greens, but i don't think that MP's should be able to cross party lines/join parties without a by-election.

does any one know if there is any precident for this type of issue? it seems as though the rules are going to need clarification, because the whole thing doesn't look very good.
culturehandy
Stephen Harper, when this was happening with MP's from his party caused a bug shit fit and said that if he governed there would be by elections...well, fast forward to now and David Emerson crossed the floor and an MP from Ontario did as well, there was nothing.

as usual, he's contradicting himself.

Or were you talking about precedent about the debate thing??

Christine Nectarine
both, actually.
1. i think clarification is needed about the RULES for participating in said leaders debate.
2. the green party now has an MP, but this was a former independant who recently joined the party. i don't think that should be allowed for any MP's or any parties without byelections.

one issue sort of led into the other, sorry for any confusion!
vixen_within
he doesn't want to talk about Kyoto.
doodlebug
I am sitting here in this accountants' office, where I temp, and which is dominated by Liberals and Conservatives, writing my cheques to the NDP.....
erinjane
I remember at the last election a handy email was circulated that listed some good questions to ask local candidates. Has anyone seen anything like that floating around? I'm really not impressed with anyone in my riding.
Christine Nectarine
erinjane, i found these lists of questions on DAWN's (DisAbled Women's Network) website. They are from the 2004 election, but mostly still relevant.

I'm glad Jack Layton came around on the issue of Elizabeth May's involvement in the leaders debate. I'm still not quite sure why the NDP objected in the first place, but at least they realized that all the hoopla and public outcry was not worth it. They are worried about losing votes to the Greens, so coming off anti-democratic is NOT the way to go.

i almost wish the Alliance party would come back, so it could potentially divide the conservative vote.
(i can't believe i just wrote that!)
vixen_within
Those are good questions.
I'm considering voting Liberal this year even though I suspect they tend to go whichever way the wind blows.. Yes I support the NDP locally, but I'm not sure what would make them appear viable to me federally - although i want them to get enough seats to make a solid opposition. It's also an anyone-but-conservative impulse. Is strategic voting a crock?

The CBC played some beautiful, choice words from the conservative party premier of Newfoundland, who actually uses the motto "Anyone But Conservative" as often as possible. Did anyone else get to hear this?
doodlebug
Fuck me, I WROTE those questions! LOL! The 20 Questions from the BCCWC, anyway. HA HA HA HA!!

Flashback. Sorry.
culturehandy
The issue with this "conservative" party is that it is still the old reform party rebranded.

Ugh, this shit storm. I can't even think about it. I'm trying to avoid most media so I don't have to see the commercials. anything in the paper on on the news which pertains to the election I'm skipping.

I don't even want to acknowledge there is an election. I'm going to vote, I just want to ignore it all!
doodlebug
Ack! What have I done??

I was going to mail in a donation and my membership renewal to the NDP today....then I realized that campaign headquarters is right nearby, so I took it down on my lunch hour....THEN something happened to me when I got there. I dunno, maybe it's that I know everyone. First I signed up to volunteer on E-day. THEN I added that I could maybe do Monday or Tuesday evenings as well.

ARGH!!!

I was totally going to stay out of this one.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.