Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Pardon me (I'm Canadian)
The BUST Lounge > Forums > Friends and Family
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18
starpiste
Can someone explain how riding winners can be called when the top two are, for example, 1000 votes apart, and only 20 of over 100 polls are in? I just don't understand how they can call them so early....
culturehandy
I don't think they are calling them for sure, just showing where things currently are.
starpiste
I'm watching ctv and they are calling some races really early. Maybe I'll try another channel.
pepper
back from my fabulous trip to the gritty city, whoo hoo! i had a terrific time, got nearly everything on my list and saw tons of friends. both cheese shops in the market are there still, global and cheese magic. i freakin' Pigged out man! i still feel stuffed.
YES the women's book store on harbord, very good! come as you are is terrific, good for her too. lettuce knit is a really cute yarn store in the market on augusta, very small and easy to miss.
if you go by my friend's oils and incense shop on kensington avenue (big white building with red polka dots all over it, it's hard to miss!) you can see a pregant picture of me on the bulletin board, hee hee hee! i gave birth in the bath tub of the woman who owns that shop, yvonne. cool eh? i love the market, it's my favourite place in all of canada.
doodlebug
Oh god, my NDP candidate is losing to the Cons. I think I'm gonna die. I can't believe it. I was SO sure he'd get in.
culturehandy
Here's what I don't get about Manitoba. Provincially, we are NDP, but nationally many voters go Conservative?? WTF??

yes, the riding I'm in is again represented by a useless, moron, conservative.
Christine Nectarine
what a waste.
will someone please tell me what was the point of that election? so the Conservatives picked up a handleful of seats, the Libreals lost a few, big deal. harper is still governing from a minority position and will do so until a) the next election date or cool.gif he finds another "loophole". all that time and (taxpayer) money wasted to have a useless election that SHOULDN'T HAVE BEEN CALLED IN THE FIRST PLACE.

as per usual, i'm frustrated as an NDP supporter. before the election, polls show support for the NDP above 20%, and come election day, they get 19% of the vote. where did everyone go?!?
the only good point i can say about this election, is that we got to know Elizabeth May and the Greens a little better.
*sigh* here we go again.

p.s. pepper, i will be sure to look for that picture of you next time i'm in the market
erinjane
Conservatives got in again in my riding, but that's no surprise. I figured this would probably happen, but yeah, what a waste of time. Ugh.
culturehandy
I suspect that Liberals and Conservatives are going to be taking a long hard look at their "leaders". I like Stephen Dion, but dude has got to get a spine. And the fact that stephen harper was not able to garner a majority for the second election in a row.

See, I like Gilles Duceppe, aside from the seperatist bit. I think he'd make a fine leader.
tommynomad
starpiste, one reason some ridings get called early is demographics. If a riding contains both urban and rural polling stations, the urban ones get counted first. If the progressive (NDP/Green) candidate is behind at that point, then media can confidently call the riding a Tory victory, because that's what most of the rural votes will be. That happened a couple of times last night.

I am very sorry for what happened in Van Island North, Rosetown Biggar, and Charleswood/St. James (not that that last one wasn't a foregone conclusion: it would be insensitive to vote against a quadripelegic, even if he is a stone age, neocon, straussian fuck). At the same time, I'm relieved there's no majority, and happy about Outremont & South Central BC.

I have no fucking idea why so many Winnipeggers vote NDP provincially and Tory federally. I'm glad people had the sense not to elect a couple of sports stars, though. The mayor proved what a mistake that is.

Culturehandy: I think spine is one of the problems with Dion. Within the party, he thought he had a Trudeau-like mandate to steer the platform. It rubbed a lot of people the wrong way, especially those who saw it as strategic suicide. He's done, and the scariest thing about it is that even though they're going to re-erect the traditional Liberal big tent, they're likely going to give the leadership to Ignatieff (wasn't he electric in that interview with Carole [name] from the CBC?). Exciting leader, but his hawkish attitudes scare me.

I think the only people whose jobs are safe are Duceppe (who is an excellent leader; being a separatist is not necessarily a bad thing), Layton (who did a great job, though there will be some head-scratching about greater Van and he'll have to be Broadbent-esque in his cautious support for anything in the house), and to a lesser degree May. She certainly proved herself to be smart and a new kind of leader (did anyone else do the mental clap when she babysat for that voter yesterday?) , but no seats still equals no seats.

Harper and everyone else who says the only issue right now is the economy can kiss my ass. Economies rise and fall. Governments can manage, but control is a pipe dream. I'm contacting my MP today and letting her know electoral reform must be made a priority.
culturehandy
Here's the thing with Steven Fletcher, I was at the uofm in the tail end of his reign of terror. He used money from the students union to buy his own laptop and he and his minions got shiny gold rings at the end of his rule. he also tried to shut down the Manitoban (the students newspaper), and tried to sue them as well because they wrote things which were critical of his policies.

It was rediculous. He was an asshole then, and he's an asshole now.

St. Boniface did elect Shelley Glover, and seasoned police officer, apparently she's a really good person all around, but it's too bad she ran under the conervative platform. I always find if very difficult to see people, especially women, supporting this party, it's so anti-woman!
erinjane
Steven Fletcher is a huge asshole. I don't get why people in my riding think he's so great. I've had to meet him a few times for advocacy with the CDA because not only is he my MLA, but he was the health critic as well. He's so smug and just looks like a jerk too. He clearly had no understanding of what the CDA was asking of him and I've heard nothing but bad things about his time at UofM as well. Just because you're in a wheelchair, that doesn't make you a better person.
culturehandy
Yes, he was one of those business school people. They don't give two shits about anyone but there own. Very corrupt.

I also heard that he doesn't like people in wheelchairs. Fer Reals. I don't know how much truth there is to that, but it's a little something I heard.
edie52
My riding was the only one in Quebec to go NDP! And it was close, too, which makes me feel as though my vote really counted. I'm not that surprised, though, it is an area with a lot of students, artists, and (somewhat pseudo-) bohemians.

Of course, the bloc dominated most of Quebec (the area I grew up went conservative, though). Duceppe had a point when he said that Harper didn't get a majority because of the Bloc. I'm not a separatist, but I think Gilles Duceppe is charismatic and ballsy and I loved that he said that. Of course the tories would love it if the Bloc just somehow disappeared into a hole in the ground, because a LOT of rural Quebecers would vote conservative.
geekchickknits
I wish Duceppe was the leader of some party other than the Bloc. I like that guy a lot!
Christine Nectarine
i think Duceppe is only ballsy in a way the other leaders are not because of that very thing he said in the english language debate: "I know I will never be Prime Minister...". it really gets me when i see that the Bloc got 10% of votes, which results in 50 seats, while the NDP recieves almost twice as many votes, and is stuck with 37 seats.
tommynomad, i agree that electoral reform must be made a priority...so many people buzz about it, but of course it is not really in the interest in the largest parties to adopt proportional representation.
tommynomad
I don't think PR's realy the answer, though: it decimated local representation. Here in A/NZ, everyone gets two ballots: one for the riding candidates, and one for which party they support. A friend told me last night that coalition governments are the norm as a result, and there's a lot of collaboration and negotiation in parliament here. Plus all the smaller parties have a voice, if not much influence.

Sounds good to me.
pepper
QUOTE(Christine Nectarine @ Oct 16 2008, 09:57 PM) *
it really gets me when i see that the Bloc got 10% of votes, which results in 50 seats, while the NDP recieves almost twice as many votes, and is stuck with 37 seats.

the green's got 7% of the vote but have NO seats. how is that right?

i can't talk about it too much because i am so furious but here's what's happened in my riding which has always been a liberal stronghold with a lot of NDP support except for the last election when a stupid, insipid, conservative schmuck got in (and again this time, argh!). the places where people are (and always have been) allowed to vote have been completely turned around so folks from north are having to travel south to a polling station that is 11km away as opposed to the one that is 3.5km away, and people from the south polling station now have to go to the north one. how is that in the least logical? so many people here didn't go out to vote because they were so angry about the changes and i can't help but wonder how many other strong liberal or ndp ridings this has been happening in. i'm going to call both the ndp and liberal candidates from this area and ask them to find out. it just feels so shifty to me, it's very georgebushfloridascenario to me, a way to manipulate the ridings to get the results the conservatives wanted. it didn't work but they DID gain seats and that pisses me off no end. that and calling an election for the Day After Thanksgiving, i mean WTF is that all about? half of canada was away visiting relatives. stupid.

what did this cost us? $300,000 or so? and for what? exactly what we had before. sheesh.
geekchickknits
QUOTE(pepper @ Oct 17 2008, 11:01 AM) *
what did this cost us? $300,000 or so? and for what? exactly what we had before. sheesh.

$300,000,000 actually.
vixen_within
QUOTE(pepper @ Oct 17 2008, 11:01 AM) *
.... that and calling an election for the Day After Thanksgiving, i mean WTF is that all about? half of canada was away visiting relatives. stupid.

I know right? I was away and also missed advance polling - things got so hectic in the days before my trip that I didn't reach them before they closed. My riding is very NDP strong so I wasn't too worried about this, however I agree that it was a calculated incumbent decision. And it is one of only 2 elections I've ever missed voting in. (The first one I missed when I was living south of the equator on the other side of the world.)

P.S. maaan I missed a bustie in town too! But I think I'll be around on November 9th if there's to be a Toronto Get Together.
Christine Nectarine
yeah, i hadn't even thought of the whole thanksgiving thing. pepper, i will be curious to see what you find out about your polling stations.

add these things to the list for explaining why we saw the lowest voter turnout EVER. it's depressing.

tommy, i wouldn't advocate for a blanket PR system either, because as you point out, local representation is an important consideration. honestly, it's an issue i need to research further, but i do feel strongly that some sort of electoral reform is neccessary. the "first past the post" system is seriously flawed.
geekchickknits
It would be good to combine forms of proportional and local, although I'm not sure how. I think in the next year or so, that is going to be my main activism goal. Finding out as much as I can about PR and see if I can get involved with some lobby groups.
tommynomad
geekchickknits, you're my new heroine:
http://www.bust.com/lounge/index.php?showt...st&p=222197
pepper
QUOTE(geekchickknits @ Oct 17 2008, 11:37 AM) *
$300,000,000 actually.

shoot, sorry. that's totally what i meant. can you tell i suck at math? can't even Write the right number down. dry.gif

i just talked with a friend of my mom's who worked the election in our 'hood and she says the turn out was HORRIBLE! worst ever. word is that the peeps are just super pissed about the location change up, add that to the inconvenient date and folks are righteously pissed. i only wish they were righteously pissed enough to get out there and do something about it!!! argh.

geekchickknits
QUOTE(tommynomad @ Oct 17 2008, 03:12 PM) *
geekchickknits, you're my new heroine:
http://www.bust.com/lounge/index.php?showt...st&p=222197

Thanks buddy! After three elections in 5 years and little to no movement in the government, the system ain't working. I don't think it's a simple as "unite the left." For years the liberals have been in opposition to the idea of proportional representation, for good reason - they've been in charge. Now might be the time to make it in there. Voter turnout is low, people are disillusioned. The Liberal Party is in shambles and SOMETHING'S gotta give.

I also think that voting should be mandatory, but that's a whole other kettle of fish.....
pepper
oh, i am SO down with the manditory voting. i can't fathom the appathy of most people man. and i Seriously think that if people Had to vote teh green party would get tons of them! all those dope smokers i knew in bc who liked the greens but were too wasted to make it out on the day. heh.
Christine Nectarine
i grow so tired of that whole "unite the left" idea. i fear the results of a two party system, and feel pretty strongly that such an idea would lead our liberal party to a more centrist position. i don't think we ndp/green/other party supporters would stand to gain much by such a move. ah, now if only the right would divide again...we can dream, can't we?
pepper
ah well, the election is over and it's like it never happened at all.

anyone here from guelph or know much about it? i want to move in the next year or so and am looking for a nice little-ish town in southern O. thanks!
Christine Nectarine
hm, i know guelph tends to be very forward-thinking environmentally. everyone i know seems to love that town, but i don't know a whole lot about it, other than it's a university town that people don't seem to want to leave. small-town, still on a GO line, could be good. what's prompting the move?
vixen_within
i only know exactly what christine does about guelph. i hear similar things about peterborough too. what would be the deciding factors for you?

i'm disappointed by dion's resignation. i loved that there actually seems to be thought and humanity churning behind his mouth when he speaks, rather than pure script, scheming and business suit machismo.
pepper
i'm a bit sad about dion as well but the language barrier is just too strong there. he really sounds like a fool, i'm sorry to say. when i can wade through the thick accent and strange dialogue i am often very pleased with his message, i loved how he stood up for artists and gave harper the what-for during the debate, but it's mostly a struggle to make out what he's trying to say. people don't generally want to pay that much attention, you know?

here's my big long moving-around-the-country story...
when we moved back to ontario from BC it was because my family is all here and i wanted to be closer to them and gramma when this small girl made her appearance. i never intended to stay here though, i was going to move to cobourg or port hope (where my papa is) because it's gorgeous there and not too far from family and TO (i checked out peterborough, it's a Hole, ugh). but my mom talked me into staying here, the little school is cute (jk up to 2nd grade only) and gramma is a shining star with the kids. but it's loathesome here, no public transport to anywhere, it's a total car town (close to windsor, it's ALL about the car out this way) and i don't even know how to drive let alone have a license. or any desire for that either, to be honest. there is nothing here, no health food stores, no little cafes or boutiques, no movie theater or play house, no nothing. nada, zip, zilch. and now that the girl is over a year i am So Freaking BORED! i've managed to make a couple of friends with kids but there is nothing for any of us to do. we have a lot of tea parties. and lunches at one of the two places in town. and the librarians all know me Very well at this point.

guelph is supposedly cute, environmentally progressive, job possibilities, farmers market, some fun things for the kids and i to do, a BUS to get around. that's what's really important to me, fun and accessible things to do, good eco-consciousness, creative, artistic people. i miss BC a LOT but so long as i can find a place where i can do things, keep busy, participate in the community, i'll be very happy. and it's on the GO line? that's freaking incredible! that means i can day trip into toronto anytime, what a terrific bonus.
now i just gotta visit and check it out some more myself. if anyone here has any info about renting, things to do, places to see, etc, i would LOVE to have it! thanks bunches.
geekchickknits
QUOTE(pepper @ Oct 21 2008, 10:43 PM) *
i'm a bit sad about dion as well but the language barrier is just too strong there. he really sounds like a fool, i'm sorry to say. when i can wade through the thick accent and strange dialogue i am often very pleased with his message, i loved how he stood up for artists and gave harper the what-for during the debate, but it's mostly a struggle to make out what he's trying to say. people don't generally want to pay that much attention, you know?

here's my big long moving-around-the-country story...
when we moved back to ontario from BC it was because my family is all here and i wanted to be closer to them and gramma when this small girl made her appearance. i never intended to stay here though, i was going to move to cobourg or port hope (where my papa is) because it's gorgeous there and not too far from family and TO (i checked out peterborough, it's a Hole, ugh). but my mom talked me into staying here, the little school is cute (jk up to 2nd grade only) and gramma is a shining star with the kids. but it's loathesome here, no public transport to anywhere, it's a total car town (close to windsor, it's ALL about the car out this way) and i don't even know how to drive let alone have a license. or any desire for that either, to be honest. there is nothing here, no health food stores, no little cafes or boutiques, no movie theater or play house, no nothing. nada, zip, zilch. and now that the girl is over a year i am So Freaking BORED! i've managed to make a couple of friends with kids but there is nothing for any of us to do. we have a lot of tea parties. and lunches at one of the two places in town. and the librarians all know me Very well at this point.

guelph is supposedly cute, environmentally progressive, job possibilities, farmers market, some fun things for the kids and i to do, a BUS to get around. that's what's really important to me, fun and accessible things to do, good eco-consciousness, creative, artistic people. i miss BC a LOT but so long as i can find a place where i can do things, keep busy, participate in the community, i'll be very happy. and it's on the GO line? that's freaking incredible! that means i can day trip into toronto anytime, what a terrific bonus.
now i just gotta visit and check it out some more myself. if anyone here has any info about renting, things to do, places to see, etc, i would LOVE to have it! thanks bunches.

I have to say - if you're relying on public transit to get around, why not move to Toronto itself? Rent and property costs?

My brother and his wife lived in Kitchener-Watterloo for a LONG TIME. Neither one of them had a car or could drive, and they loved the town. Progressive, two universities, good schools and extra-curriculars for my niece, and my brother had a good job (my SIL was in grad school). It's also got a fairly large art community - at least one good venue and a ton of visual artists. And also there is bus that goes to Toronto.
pepper
i'll never live in toronto again. it's way too busy, noisy, polluted, crowded and dirty. as a mama, now that i've had a taste of smaller community living i just couldn't go back. besides, i spent nearly 2 decades there, that's enough!

i'll try to check out kitchener too, i don't know much about it.

dang but it's cold today, i keep forgetting how much i hate the winters here. man, freezing face this morning on our walk to school. bbbrrrr!
lananans
My Aunt has lived in Guelph with my uncle and their three young girls for about ten years now, and they are really happy there, and reluctant to leave. Other than that, I don't have much info on it. But I hear it's very pretty.

I'm in London, just moved here with the bf since he's at med school. It's good so far, but I haven't really met any friends, but I haven't had the money to go out and do stuff. I just started working, so once I start getting paid I think I'm going to join yoga classes.

As for Toronto - it really depends what area of Toronto you live in I think. My family is from the West end, and growing up there was great. It's a real small community, with shops on Bloor Street, schools closeby, and the subway can't be beat. But I completely understand it's not for everyone. Hopefully we'll end up there after the boy finishes med school... in 5 + years...
Lalumiere
Hi I'm new here but was directed to this thread because hey, imagine that, I'm Canadian.
pepper - I am from Cambridge, a town outside of kitchener/waterloo, but I go to school in waterloo(university of waterloo) . I have to say I am very impressed with the place. I dont drive at all and I can take the bus from cambridge near my house strait to UW and its no hassle at all, plus its very arty and there seems to be quite a lot to do around there... Waterloo seems a bit big for what you're looking for, but kitchener is quite nice! I know a lot of theatre-types who have lived there and love it a lot.
gradgal
Pepper, well I don't think that you can really go wrong with Guelph, Cambridge, Kitchener, or Waterloo as they are all within a 20 minutes of each other.

Guelph and Waterloo are both 'university cities,' and yes there is a high student population, but they do have more to offer than just that. I can speak more re: Waterloo because I lived there for a few years myself. The pluses: over the past ten years Waterloo has really revamped their downtown core....now it is dressed with cute little shops, coffee houses, restaurants etc. They also promote the arts and I know that many students in the fine arts department at University of Waterloo have art shows/gallery shows to promote their work. Many areas around Waterloo (and even some parts of the University of Waterloo campus) have been declared wildlife conservation areas which keeps much of the green/natural space open and undeveloped. Waterloo also has a great farmers market just outside the city limits (st. Jacob's farmers market) where local farmers and artisans come every weekend and display their merchandise. The drawbacks: Waterloo is expanding v. quickly and many new homes and subdivisions are being built as many new young families are establishing themselves there. With many new families comes the need/want/desire or more suburban luxuries like big box stores and expanding malls. Overall, I think that the city is a great place to be for families.

As a side note, Kitchener and Waterloo are essentially one city. Each has their own downtown but there is no actual divide between the two cities anymore. One public transportation system connects the two. In my opinion, Kitchener is a little more rough around the edges when compared to Waterloo.
pepper
ah, you guys are so great. thanks bunches for all the info, i'll have to figure out how to take a trip and check out the nifty sounding places. i imagine the urban sprawl is gonna happen wherever it's a cool spot to be, everyone wants to move there, not just me. hopefully i find somewhere good for us, this little podunk has been a nice respite from the rest of my life while the small girl is really small but i'm getting bored now. time to live somewhere a little more lively yo.
candycane_girl
Pepper, I'd have to agree with gradgirl on the places. They're nice and small and if you ever want the excitement of the big city, Toronto is not that far away.

Personally, I hope that I never leave Toronto. I love that there is always something to do and the fact that I don't need a car to get around. There are a ton of nice little neighbourhoods around that are kind of like their own little towns.
vixen_within
Well this is all very interesting. The economy is making me reluctant to leave my job, but I've known for a long time that I don't want to live in Toronto forever, unless I can live in a very specific dream location that I have my heart on in this city. I've thought about Halifax, but again, the economy and cost of living thing makes me reluctant now.

I was talking with a Londoner the other day, and he said that his hometown has a pretty decent arts scene, but that the drift of life towards the suburbs is taking away from the life-that-could-be in the downtown.

Guelph though, a lot of writers live there and that's always a good sign.

On a side note: someone from Toronto adopt one of these kitties! http://toronto.en.craigslist.ca/tor/pet/886648845.html And then post about it so that I can live vicariously through you!
pepper
hey, do any of you know anything about colio wines? i live quite literally directly across the street from them. really. i can see their driveway from my house.
a friend is coming into town for a visit and i wonder if it's worth it to take the tour with him. i don't want to waste time if it isn't, he'll only be here very briefly.

thanks!!!
stargazer
hey, any suggestions as to where i can stay on the cheap in toronto? also, any busties able to meet up on sunday, nov. 8th?
erinjane
Star, how long are you going? When I went to Toronto I stayed at the Candiana Backpackers hostel. I think they've won a bunch of awards. It was a fun place, really clean, nice staff, and they have a free pancake breakfast before 9AM everyday (or they did when I stayed). It's also just off Queen Street downtown so you're with in walking distance of lots of cool funky area's.

http://www.canadianalodging.com/
starpiste
I'm planning a weekend in Victoria for my birthday. Anyone have any suggestions for a nice, kind of fancy restaurant for dinner one of the nights? Prefereably something with good wine and a good vegetarian selection. Cafe Brio is top of my list so far so opinions on that would be great. Thanks!
lananans
starpiste -- I unfortunately don't know anything about Victoria...

stargazer -- what are you up to in Toronto??

vixen -- I just moved to London, and I basically just am around the university/downtown and then a little north to the mall... I'm still learning about the scene around here... but the downtown does sometimes seem like the life has been sucked out of it.

pepper-- I spend a lot of time in Cambridge, my aunt/uncle/cousin live there, and what I like about it is that it's close to everything, and it's made of a few smaller feeling towns in one... so it's a pretty big place but you feel like you're in a small town, at least in his neighbourhood, they live in what is called Preston.

I eventually want to end up in Toronto, so does my boyfriend. We're just in London for his med school, then we plan to move back to the city.. probably about the same time we get married/start thinking about kids.

stargazer
lananans, i'm going to be in michigan and i thought why not stop by toronto. but i think i might need to put that visit on hiatus due to lack of funds and school stuff. boo. what a difference a day makes for me.

thanks for the suggestions though!
lananans
I am always lacking funds as well star, I understand. So many plans, so few dollars in my bank account... I live close to Michigan, two hours away. Still getting used to being in SW Ontario.
geekchickknits
QUOTE(stargazer @ Nov 3 2008, 12:18 PM) *
hey, any suggestions as to where i can stay on the cheap in toronto? also, any busties able to meet up on sunday, nov. 8th?

November 8th is a Saturday. Are you here on Saturday or Sunday?
candycane_girl
Are we still going to have a meetup at some point?
pepper
my friend lester alphonso made a movie about what it felt like to move to canada from another country at the age of twelve. there are stories from 12 other young new canadians as well and some excellent cinematography. i hope some of you will check it out.

here's the trailer...

The National Film Board of Canada presents Twelve.

i think i'll be in toronto again at the end of november, i'll shout out when i know for sure and maybe some of us can meet up for tea somewhere.
tommynomad
Wow, Pepper, that trailer looks really great (and oh, so Canadian). When I was 12, my family moved to a different culture for the second time (Quebec--the first was when I was 6). Looking back, it is easily one of the two or three defining moments of my development as a cultural, academic, linguistic, and political person.

I'd love to see Twelve, but fear I won't have much opportunity here in NZ. Let Lester know he's got a budding fan, though.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.