Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Pardon me (I'm Canadian)
The BUST Lounge > Forums > Friends and Family
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18
Lily_Anne
QUOTE(pepper @ Dec 13 2008, 11:39 AM) *
it's nippy out though, brr. cold without snow is just sucky. if i have to freeze i at least want it to be pretty!

I hear ya, Pepper.

Actually, it's dangerous in the Deep American South where it doesn't snow enough for the city to maintain snow plows and salt spreaders. Places like that, businesses simply have to shut down, wait for things to melt, and hope for the best. Or it ices over instead of snowing. It's fun getting days off from school for a little bit of accumulation, though.

A friend who is seeing snow for the first time says, "It really feels like Christmas!" Just like in the movies. I think that's sweet.
Christine Nectarine
we had a little snow, but i'm so close to lake Ontario, it doesn't last long. it's been all rained away today! the 14 day forcast is looking good and snowy! i know it's tacky, but i love having a white Christmas. plus, my employer calls snow days when the schools are closed. i've never worked anywhere before that had snow days! we got 3 last year, and it does wonders for moral. i love it!
pepper
it rained earlier today and now this afternoon it is absolutely frikken FREEZING!! lardy, i'm so glad i don't drive. the roads must be murder right now.

i wonder why ontario uses salt instead of salt mixed with sand like they do in BC. it's so foolish to see a mountain of white sparkly (salt!) in front of the post office after the teeniest little flake fest. the salt and sand combo really works quite well. i heard on the news that there is a salt shortage right now too! weird.
erinjane
It's fucking nuts here! I didn't leave the house all weekend so I didn't have to deal with the frigid temperatures, but I took the bus today and had to walk 3 blocks to work in heavy boots, two pairs of socks, long underwear, jeans, my huge cozy winter jacket with the hood up, a hat on, and a giant scarf wrapped around me so all you could see were my eyes and I still felt like I was going to freeze to death on my short walk. There's been a lot of media about shelters trying to find space for everyone. I can't imagine being stuck outside in this weather when we haven't had a chance to get used to it yet.
Christine Nectarine
i can't help but laugh...this is such typically "Canadian" conversation...politics and the cold, cold weather!

pepper, each municipality determines it's own means of snow removal/ice melting etc...my assumption is most will use whatever is cheapest. i guess if it's considered the "norm" you can get away with it. as for the mountains of salt...i can only figure that down to laziness, especially not wanting to shovel!

erinjane, this is such a terrible and dangerous time of year for the homeless. i've worked in homeless outreach, and also in shelters, and it always found it so hard to be dropping off sleeping bags to people in -15 weather. in my region, it has to be -25 before an "extreme cold weather alert" is declared, and the shelters cannot refuse admittance to anyone (who may normally be refused either due to lack of space, or previous restrictions like from breaking shelter rules)

it's very desperate and very sad. i'm so grateful for all the warmth i have in my life!
vixen_within
Salt shortage? What about the candy cane famine? I've been looking for days, ever since I ate the very last candy cane from my rationed supply of last December. They should be everywhere by now. Maybe it's just my neighbourhood.
I really do wish Toronto would cut back on the salt. Whenever I see it on the street I think about the lake.

ChingusKhan - None taken really. Thanks for the note. I hope you're not letting my snitty keep you from conversating here I know there are a lot of other people in this thread you like chatting with.
culturehandy
Word Erin. I've been avoiding the park, and when I do go out, my mother and I finally wisened up and I'm wearing her old fur coat. Now if only my face would stop feeling and looking like sandpaper. Farking cold.

I'm glad i'm not in North Dakota, though. It's freezing like it is here AND they had a blizzard. I'll take one or the other, not fucking both.
vixen_within
So, Torontonians, are we prepared for SNOWMAGEDDON?
(By "prepared for", I don't mean for the storm itself. I mean for further ridicule from the rest of Canada once they find out that our media refers to 15 cm of snow as "Snowmageddon".)

I tried to run some errands today, but ended up picking up a chocolate bar & some tea and going back home to put on more socks and a second coat. Never did make it back out there.
ketto
Heehee, this made me laugh. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UlAZD9Xx5-Y

Whenever I go to another country (including the states) no one has ever heard of Winnipeg.
tommynomad
ketto, when I backpacked across Europe in the late 80s, the only people who knew about Winnipeg were the Russians. The men all knew the city because the Jets has been among the first teams to widely import Russian players. The women all knew it because of the RWB: at that time, the Bolshoi considered the RWB the best ballet company not in the USSR.
juls
Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow!!!

Happy Holidays Canuck Busties!
tommynomad
I'm getting soft. It's been 5 years since I was in Canada for winter--and even then it was just the Rockies. My mum died earlier in December and we all flew back to Winterpeg, Manitscoldout (that's the last time in my life I say/type that, I promise) to be with dad. Fourteen days of -25C or colder, most days in the -40 range. We still walked & bussed everywhere, but JESUS H CHRIST ON A POPSICLE STICK was that cold! One night around midnight we were on Vaughan and I looked at my wife and brother to reiterate something I'd heard a long time ago: Winnipeggers must love their friends and families more than anyone else on earth, because there is no other good reason to live in that environment.

Happy Chanukah, everyone!
culturehandy
Ohhh, it's not that bad here. In summer it's reallt nice, and there are only stretches of cold. And up Winnipegers really really like our vehicles.
pepper
winterpeg. glad i'm down south at the tippy tip of ontario. it really is much milder here, my face hasn't fallen off once this year (so far!).

we had a very mellow 25th and such, it was great. and we're off to fort erie to the rellies for new year's. we'll be in toronto jan 2-5 but it's such a quick little visit, i'll hardly have time for see anyone or do anything. oh well, glad to be out and about even briefly. my town is so po-dunk i can't do any shopping for crafty supplies or health stuff. i'm gonna cruise the market and bloor street and be so happy!

hope you all had a very merry whatever you celebrate. enjoy the snow! (snowmaggedon, ha. what a laugh.)
culturehandy
It was actually gawgeous here today! It was only -8, it was a lovely day, same with yesterday.

I'll admit that even 3 snowstorms back to back is shitty, this coming from a winnipeger, too. hee.
tommynomad
culturehandy's right, of course. Winnipeg rocks:

- more festivals than any city in Canada
- more restaurants (per capita) than any city in Canada
- best local live music scene
- ridiculously good modern dance scene (maybe second only to Montreal)
- best summers anywhere
- nice and flat, so you can cycle year-round despite the cold
- Grand Beach (though totally not my style, when both Playboy and Newsweek list it as a great beach with the likes of Cannes and Cali, you know it must be good).
- we elect progressive mayors once every 20 years
- the Winnipeg Folk Festival (still the largest in Canada, and second only to S.F. <- neither of these is what makes it great, though), which for 30+ years has hosted the widest swath of brilliant musicians anywhere. It is also the happiest place on earth.

Homesick now. Gonna go put on some Weakerthans.
culturehandy
Tommy, I've been told by visitors here, that they absolutely LOVE the arts and music scene.

Winnipeg sure does get the shit end of the stick, but the summers here, there is so much to do, there is always something going on, whether is be Fringe, Folk Fest, beaches, concerts...whatever it is, there is lots to do. Just because it gets to get to be minus, holy fuck how cold did you say it was with the windchill, doesn't mean it's a bad place.

And Winnipeg has produced some impressive names in music, hell, when Dylan was here, he went and visited the home that Neil Young grew up in. Just dropped in on the home owner. It was pretty neat.

Although I must admit, I just don't get Grand Beach...not my thing either.
bottleblack
I never thought I'd see so much snow living in Vancouver! It's wonderful craziness.
As for Winnipeg..have you heard that song "One Great City" by The Weakerthans..? Lol that's what I think of when I think of Winnipeg..
tommynomad
Heard it? I've passed out to it, sister!

It's actually kind of a dig at our fair hometown: for years, the signs at the city limits read "Winnipeg - One Great City." I never met a single person who thought it was a good welcome. Guess the Weakerthans agree.
culturehandy
Now it's Winnipeg, Heart of the Continent.
ketto
It may not be poetry, but it's better than "one great city". I admit, I love Winnipeg, I'll probably never leave, at least not for too long.
rogue
Winnipeg is the only city in Canada that I have spent time in other than Halifax (I live here) and Charlottetown/anywhere else in PEI (father + family lives there) and I loved it! I got to spend ten days there about three years ago (in FEBRUARY of all times) and even though it was freezing I loved it. It really is a nice city; I always heard that it is awesome and gorgeous in the summer so I am going to have to make some plans to get there sometime.

*Winnipeg/Canadian Busties love from the East Coast!*
culturehandy
Rogue, you totally should. It's wonderful here in the summer!
tommynomad
Second weekend in July, rogue.

I was born and mostly raised in Winnipeg. I've been away for most of the last ten years, though. After two summer visits and a two-week stint this past December, I asked my Shenomad how she would feel about settling there (like "settling" even fits into our vocab). To my great delight, she thought it was an excellent idea, provided I relent on my anti-carness and we buy a small station wagon.

So after grad, and when a job opens up, we're on our way back to the land of Folkfest, Ulti, Ganj, firepit jams, and the kickassingest winters anywhere!
ketto
Woo! Join us (again!).

I'm dying to take a two week camping trip out west to BC this summer, but I'm part of a wedding party at the end of June, folk fest and the diabetes camp I work at are in July, and August is such a touristy month to go anywhere, but I think it's my only option.

I hope it warms up a little here next week so I can at least go cross country skiing again.
culturehandy
Tommy, that's super exciting!!!

Ketto, I agree, it needs to warm up just a shade. Mind you, it's not so bad out there right now. and lots of snow would be good for skiing, too.
doodlebug
Winston Blackmore and James Oler have been arrested. Hallelujah!

Blackmore says it's about "religious persecution."

No dude. It's about you trafficking 13 and 14 year old girls for the purpose of sexual relations.

*smack*
juls
Brrr...

Windchill of -45 tonight! Don't forget to plug your cars if you're in MB tonight!
culturehandy
Juls, it's a fucking killer here!!! -45 with the windchill and it's been like this since December, nay, since it started to snow in November! I remember, it snowed on a Friday, the Monday before it snowed, it was 16. It's like we're living in Calgary.
geekchickknits
I have to say, I don't have a problem with polygamy or polyandry in theory.....just the way it's so often practised. mad.gif

I have no issue with what consenting adults chose to do.

QUOTE(doodlebug @ Jan 9 2009, 04:57 PM) *

No dude. It's about you trafficking 13 and 14 year old girls for the purpose of sexual relations.

*smack*

ketto
They had some good calls on CBC radio yesterday about the Blackmore, Oler thing. A few people wrote in that they were in happy fulfilled poly (various forms) relationships but they could not support polygamy because they couldn't imagine a relationship that wasn't based on equality and respect. I thought that was a really good way to put it.

It's un-fucking-believably cold here. The boy and I have been going back and forth about taking a hot vacation but I think we're going to go for it. To hell with the expense, I can afford a little luxory.
pepper
it's not that cold here, it really does stay warmer than the rest of ontario at this southern-mostish part, but the snow whee ooh! lordy it's been dumping here lately. i can't even guess where the sidewalk out front might be to even start shovelling it. forgedaboutit.

anyone else paying attention to the playlist for obama thing on cbc2? without internet at home i haven't been able to nominate or vote for anything but it's our morning listen so i've been following along. it's kinda interesting.
Christine Nectarine
QUOTE(geekchickknits @ Jan 13 2009, 11:45 AM) *
I have to say, I don't have a problem with polygamy or polyandry in theory.....just the way it's so often practised. mad.gif

I have no issue with what consenting adults chose to do.

The whole concept of Bountiful frightens me. I agree geekchick, I'm not against polygamy. It's the issues of child and woman abuse that have been evidenced in that community, and the fear-mongering that takes place. If you want to have multiple wives, go ahead - but none of those wives should be 14! besides, i doubt they allow a woman to have more than one husband! i'm against marriage more than polygamy anyway...

On another note:
The "49 Songs" thing is kind of interesting. For all you Winnipeggers in here, "One Great City" is actually on the short list! You can vote for it here.

We Ontarians are now getting a taste of your winter weather...-30C today (with windchill) and supposed to be colder tomorrow. woohoo!
ChingusKhan
QUOTE(doodlebug @ Jan 9 2009, 01:57 PM) *

*smack*

I've lived in the Creston valley, near Bountiful and I'm very familiar with that f**k Blackmore. And he is a f**k. The damage he's done to the kids in those communes in horrendous. When I lived there, the girls from Bountiful were pulled from school when they were in Grade 8 and the boys wouldn't get past Grade 10. The girls where married off, in some cases - and I knew some of them! - before they were 12!! (I must add that the marriage wasn't consumatted at that age. The girls in question, though, were "promised" to their husbands then and moved in with them when they were maybe 16. Old enough so that statutory rape charges could be avoided.)

What isn't talked about is the damage those pissants did to the boys, though... Think about it: The ratio is 50:50 at birth but it's a polygamist community. There's an excess of boys. What the f**kers do is at about 15 or 16, some of the boys would be "excommunicated" from the community - they'd be kicked out! - for some trivial thing or another. They'd be kicked out of their homes, taken from their families and, basically, tossed away. These poor young men are homeless and helpless, with very little education and no real skills in any world other than the community they came from. To top it all, they've been told that they can't go back to the only home they've ever known because they're "sinners" and have "turned their back on God." Many, many of them did not and do not cope at all.

The other piece that isn't well known is that Blackmore runs a fairly large construction company, with all his "family members" as employees. He pays them shit wages and, because he claims them as family members, he avoids paying a number of payroll taxes. As he has a considerable cost advantage compared to other legit builders, he wins tons of work. (He's built a whole bunch of stuff for the Province, ironically.) He and his construction company have made bundles of money.

He's a f**k and I hope they nail his sorry ass to a tree.
bottleblack
Does anyone on here live in or near Vancouver??
vixen_within
bottleblack there are a couple of BCers here, i'm sure they'll pipe in again when they see one of their sisteren here.

i just came in to cry about the power outage in my city. i've had no heat or light since last night, -20 overnight & it's even colder this morning. i scrambled out to try to make a job interview only to find the subway system down too with hordes of people huddled in large, miserable, groups on Bloor street, or marching east after giving up on the cabs, buses, and god. i wish this were the type of city that would pull together with sponteneous car pools, and assistance for the elderly who are trapped in freezing old houses, but it's not by a long shot.
culturehandy
Vixen that's horrible. I saw about the power outage on newsworld this morning.

I remember a news anchor here was laughing at how cold it was in T.O., because it was close to -50 here, but all I could think about was the homeless. Yah, it's cold, but people who have a roof over their head, come one. It's the homeless who ultimately suffer the most. Sorry to be a downer.
Christine Nectarine
vixen, my heart goes out to you! i was glad i didn't have to head downtown this morning. sounds like they have the subway running again at least...

and it's true CH, while i don't envy the rest of the country their -50C, -20 isn't a lot better when you are sitting on a sidewalk grate. last winter i was working doing homeless outreach, and it was always a scary time of year, because we were afraid we would loose someone. plus, we tend to have wetter winters, which doesn't help either.
pepper
holy crap, it's even been cold down here lately. wow, freeze your face off weather. yah, the power outtages are super scary. when it happened all over the islands two (was it two or three now?) years ago it was frightful, people had no power for weeks! it's terrifying to think of the homeless out in that.

i'm not in or near van anymore but i can maybe answer questions.

ok, i still think the 49 songs thing is cool but if i have to hear that damn parachute club song or bruce cockburn one more freaking time i'm going to toss the radio out the window! arrggh! i hate, Hate those two more than ever after having to hear them so many times first thing in the morning.
gotta say, it gets me out of bed right quick if one of them is the first thing i hear though.
doodlebug
bottleblack, I am in Kamloops, but I get to Vancouver to visit family from time to time.
vixen_within
it got pretty bad. i was going to try to stay at a friend's last night but decided to "rough it" at home to take care of my pets. my home was so cold one of my pets almost died (my wee fish) though i was able to revive him with boiled water in his bowl (yay for gas stoves) and i could see my breath while i was sitting on my bed.

i'm not sure how homeless people within this power grid were affected by the outage, but i know that families with kids were really having a difficult time. the part of the city that was hit is full of working class families and aged immigrants. unfortunately this wasn't one of those 'fun' black outs, like the one in 003. tongue.gif anyhoo, never been so grateful before for electricity.
culturehandy
Vixen is the problem in T.O. solved now?

It's nice here! -5 this morning!!!! You know it's been cold when...
vixen_within
QUOTE(culturehandy @ Jan 18 2009, 02:33 PM) *
Vixen is the problem in T.O. solved now?

It's nice here! -5 this morning!!!! You know it's been cold when...

yup yup yup!
pepper
toronto busties, i need your help!! when we were in the city last i went by my favourite lingerie store on yonge street (super sellers) only to find that they had closed, argh! i'm sure there is another discount undies place somewhere in the big gritty but where oh where can it be? anybody know of one? i need some new gitch!

yay for power back on! and yay for gas stoves too, lucky fish...
rogue
The weather in this country has definitely been wonky this past week, my fellow Canadian busties! Here in Halifax we had a massive snowstorm yesterday (15-20 cm of snow) and it was -21 and today it is raining and +6. Definitely warmer out here but I feel all of your pain. Glad to hear that those of you in T.O. survived the power outage and I am glad that you were able to revive your fish, vixen! biggrin.gif
ketto
So gorgeous here! Finally! The Forks was packed all weekend. I went skating there yesterday and could barely move and again today before work. Today was beautiful and the river was nice to skate on because hardly anyone was out at 11AM.
rogue
Awww, I went to The Forks when I was in Winnipeg three years ago in February. It was such a nice place! I really need to get some money together and make another visit out there, what with all you Winnipeggers (is that right?) talking about the city. I would really like to see The Forks in the summer as well because when I went they were definitely snow-covered. *Misses Winnipeg* laugh.gif
culturehandy
Rogue, it's cheap out here!! The Forks is a lovely place all around, no matter what the season. Come for a visit!!
rogue
Aw, CH, I totally want to! I will have to put it as Number One on my "Places To Travel" list. I don't know, I was only in Winnipeg for ten days when I went there before and it was FREEZING in February so I didn't go out much but I got to go to places like The Forks, that restaurant that is on a bridge out there (I don't remember the name) the University of Manitoba (I think; could have been University of Winnipeg if there isn't a University of Manitoba in the city) and I got to drive around a lot too - from one part of the city (around Lanark Street, which was where I was staying) to the other side in a car with no heater to get the missing part to make the heater work, but I just loved it. Oh and I went to the mall, hahaha. I also did not understand why cars had to be plugged in (I am a silly maritimer, haha!). But it was a really great city; I am definitely going to try and get back there for sure! You all sound so welcoming and like you really love your city! I love Halifax too but I am ready to get out of here again - the need comes every few years for me to leave here for a while. I escaped once to England for four months four years ago and then to Charlottetown for six months two years ago now so it's coming up on time to leave again! laugh.gif
culturehandy
The summer is a much better time to visit, and there is much more to do.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.