Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Ack! The what do I want to do with my life thread! Finding your passions for career and otherwise.
The BUST Lounge > Forums > Working Grrls
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4
sassygrrl
So, I'm seriously considering going back to graduate school to get a masters in communication disorders, and becoming a speech pathologist. It was a field that I wanted to go into anyways when I was in college.

Now comes the process of picking schools, and still holding on to my shit job.If I get accepted, maybe I can switch to part time Also, taking all the damn tests. Grr. Also, I would love to get out of Georgia. Even if it was to move to a city in SC. That would so rock! Portland is still calling my name though.

I'm just happy to know that I am going back to school in something that I've always been interested and passionate about as a career. smile.gif Cross all fingers and toes.
caroline_no
Sorry if this is not the correct place to ask..Is there a forum to talk (ok, bitch) about working and going to school simultaneously?

Sorry if this is not the correct place to ask..Is there a forum to talk (ok, bitch) about working and going to school simultaneously?

jcravens
This thread seems to be dead... but navigating around the forum site (which is really hard, by the way), this seems the logical place to post.

Volunteering can be a great way to find out what it is you want to do with your life. It helps you explore careers, build skills for your resume, make connections for jobs, meet interesting people and just generally feel like you are needed in the world. Some people volunteer for feel-good moments -- with kids, with animals, whatever -- but I tend to volunteer out of anger: I'm angry about deteriorating reproductive rights, so I volunteer for Planned Parenthood. The point is that your motivations don't have to be completely altruistic.

My favorite places to find volunteering opportunities or organizations I want to support: VolunteerMatch, Idealist, Change.org and the UN's Online Volunteering service.

I'm volunteering right now for an organization that is working to bring very short-term volunteers to developing countries to help with very specific local income-generating projects/small businesses. They aren't looking for people who have good hearts and want to help as much as they are looking for seasoned professionals willing to donate their services for a few weeks in, say Rwanda. If you have experience in food processing (tomato paste, beekeeping, pickled vegetables, dried fruits and nuts, etc.), soccer ball manufacturing, carpentry – furniture manufacturing, commercial printing, fuel distribution, radio broadcasting or business development services, drop me a line.

Would love to hear about people's experiences with volunteering, good and bad.
pepper
oh, i've been thinking about this lately as i want to do something different. sorry to hear that the thread is quiet, oh well.
i can't believe though that you find this site hard to navigate. i am a complete techno moron and this is the easiest, cleanest, most navigable site i've ever found. most of them are a crazy mash of everyone posting every little thought they've ever had in a new thread so that you can't find Anything! i love this tidy board.
sassygrrl
I think I'm going to try library science. I've already found a few library assistant jobs that I'm going to apply for at local colleges to get a taste of it. There aren't any programs in Georgia though. University of Washington has a good one though.

I also love volunteering. I'm going to try to do more of that. Yet, right now I'm still nursing this damn broken toe.

Hi Pepper!

smile.gif
bitethebest
In the process of figuring out what the hell I am doing with my life upon graduating college and writing a million resumes and cover letters. Can anyone suggest a great book regarding cover letters?
Queen Bull
how did i miss this thread previously?

mm. anyway, i just want to say, that i am soo lost. just dropped out of college and basically have NO CLUE what i want to do with my life. i mean, who does at this point in their life, but im just ready to get ON with it! Im tired of being that girl that quit school and isnt really doing anything. *le sigh*

anyway, ive got the short narrowed to getting my bartenders license. after getting a regular any job. lol.

then i dont know... something medical i suppose.

anyway,i jsut wanted to vent i guess.

bai for now. <3's
culturehandy
Sassy, I have a friend with an MLS, and she really enjoys her work. She's employed at a university here and is very satisfied. I didn't really realize there was so much one could do in terms of MLS, and all the branches of library.

I totally here you all now knowing what you want to do when you grow up. I'm taking a stab at a different career path, so I shall see where that goes.

starpiste
queenbull, I've totally been there. I spend 6 months "doing nothing" but I really was able to think about what I really wanted my life to look like independent of what I wanted to do. Then I found a job to fit that,

That said, it's about a year and a half later, I'm in a job I love but can barely pay my bills. It's what I signed up for though. I keep thinking that maybe I should just quit and get a stable pay cheque again, but then my heart sinks. so tough.
lananans
I just finished university, and spent the summer as an intern in a newsroom for a local paper, and was published quite a bit, but have moved and am having trouble finding a job. It seems like all the wanted ads require you to have some sort of college (Canadian college) diploma... I feel like my BAH in History is useless.

It's very frustrating. I love writing and think I am going to apply to a MA Journalism program for next year, but I need to find something to pay the bills in the meantime. I applied for a bunch of retail jobs, lets hope something turns up.
Moonpieluv
uh...now that I'm on my way to finally staying put in a city long enough to plan my graduate education...I'm having a hard time deciding what to do...

I want to be a teacher. I want to teach English and/or French. I also really love little children.

I've expressed this interest over and over here in the threads before, but I'm still at a loss.

Do I go for elementary education? or do I stick with one subject (English)..get my MAT in secondary english education...teach high school for a while...then get to work on my M.A./Ph.d in English..and work my way up to being a professor? Is it even possible to do so? Uh...I know that the more education or degrees that I accumulate the more money I will make in either grade level block.

I worry about being that specialized in English, because I really want to get my career on a roll. The state I live in does have alternative certification. There is supposedly great need for teachers.
I know that volunteering may help in my decision process. I've already done so with elementary children..and it has proved rewarding, but I do do do love just being able to focus on language arts/literature.

Sigh....the struggle and indecision continues.
thirtiesgirl
Moonpie, my recommendation would be to substitute teach for a bit before making the decision about what grade level/age group you want to teach. It's a great way to get some experience and find out what teaching is all about. I wish I'd done more subbing before attempting to get my teaching credential. I think it would have prepared me a lot more for what was in store. When I did teach, I was on an "emergency credential," meaning I didn't have my teaching credential, but was working towards it. It also meant that I didn't have a lot of protection against school administration when they wanted to give me bad evaluations. If you have a teaching credential, you can at least count on the support of the teachers' union when faced with unfair and ridiculous administrative practices (as there are so many in the teaching field). This is why I'd recommend subbing first, and then if you decide you want your teaching credential, work on it while you're substitute teaching, rather than acting as a permanent teacher. As I wrote above, you'll have more protection and support once you're a credentialed teacher.

If you decide to sub, hopefully the school district you pick allows you to sub for both elementary and secondary (jr. high/middle school and high school). This will give you experience of both worlds, as elementary is *very* different from middle and high school (in my experience). The school district where I work, LAUSD, only allows subs to do one or the other. But other school districts in the area allow subs to do both, so I got experience subbing both elementary and secondary and I got to experience the difference. Deciding to get a teaching credential is a big decision and I'm a big advocate for getting a little practical experience before going for it.
konphusion26
Me thinks I want to learn a trade of some sort. Skilled trades never really go out of business. I've always had an affinity for working with my hands. Never mastered anything though. I love fixing stuff around the house and praying that it doesn't fall apart LOL I dunno, I just want to do something significant with my life. Something I love and enjoy, instead of just working for a paycheck. Paychecks are great! But I need something meaningful to do with myself. Just wish I knew what that was.
starpiste
I just made a big move. I quit my boring, tedious, security blanket, part-time job that paid a lot in favour of having more ME time, less stress, and more energy to commit to the job I like. Right now I'm feeling pretty good. I feel way more relaxed but also a bit scared that I won't be able to pay my rent.

I really dislike that I feel I have only two options: poor and happy, or stable and bored. sigh. I need a happy medium.
angiepoo
QUOTE(starpiste @ Sep 17 2008, 09:16 AM) *
I just made a big move. I quit my boring, tedious, security blanket, part-time job that paid a lot in favour of having more ME time, less stress, and more energy to commit to the job I like. Right now I'm feeling pretty good. I feel way more relaxed but also a bit scared that I won't be able to pay my rent.

I really dislike that I feel I have only two options: poor and happy, or stable and bored. sigh. I need a happy medium.

I just did the same thing, I think this might give me more motivation to find something better. So far I'm not as worried as I thought, wait till the bills start coming ohmy.gif)

Konphusion26- what trade were you thinking? I love working around the house too, wish I could get paid for it. I'm thinking of taking a pastry or baking art course when I move, or maybe some kind of woodworking. But I still can't decide either.

I watched a biography on Julia Child, and she didn't even START cooking until she was in her 50's,
that made me feel better, it's never too late!
Jessie1213
I'm in the same situation as a lot of you. I can't figure out what I want to do to save my life. I've been in college for 6 years, and have changed my major and ideas about things more times than I can count. I started out as a Pre-Med BioChem major, turned to an Anthropology major, then Classics, was interested in Vet Science for a while, and English was my most recent choice which I thought I really wanted to stick with. I've always been a very literary person, reading and writing are 2 of my biggest passions. I thought I wanted to go into Library Science, but the stress of working full-time and going to school was too much, coupled with the fact that I wasn't even sure if I would be happy doing what I was going to school for... so I dropped all my classes this semester. However, I don't want to end up one of those people who never go back to school and never does anything worthwhile. I just want to do something meaningful that makes me happy, but I can't seem to find anything that comes close to fitting that description.

I have so many interests, but I don't pursue most of them like I should because I work too much just to make ends meet and I live in a shit-hole little town in Ohio that offers nothing anyway. I've just been feeling very lost lately and I'm really glad I found this thread, if for no other reason than because it has let me know I'm not the only one in this position.

I don't care about making a lot of money, per se, but I'm now working as a cook for just above minimum wage, and I have about $35k racked up in student loans I'm going to have to start paying back in 6 months if I don't go back to school. This, of course, puts a time limit on everything which makes it that much more stressful.

I know the decision's all on me, and I need to make up my mind relatively quickly, but I saw this thread and thought it might be helpful to get other people's opinions or suggestions. Thanks for listening!
sassygrrl
I did the same thing as many of you. I just feel better that I have taken the summer off(I tell you breaking my toe that led my company to let me go was the best thing ever) to just figure out was "I" want to do. Now, I'm just working on finding a happy medium. Jessie1213, I have felt the same way. I just want to do something meaningful, but what that is and how I will get there, I'm not quite sure yet.

((everyone))

starpiste
Today I was talking to my mom and mentioned it's hard to stay on a super healthy diet when I'm really broke and she started in with "are you sure that job's working? why aren't you making more money? you can only do this so long or you'll miss your chance". It was stressful and I ended the convo because I am putting so much effort into making my life better and it was frustrating. She called back about 15 minutes later and apologized for not being supportive. It was good overall.

Jessie, I always get the feeling that I love what I'm doing now, but how do I know if I'll like it in 5 years? It's so hard to 100% commit to something when you're not 100% sure about it. Plus, I think it's so unfair to expect that anyone should spend their life in one career. how boring.
ululah
Jessie, I can totally relate to being stuck in a small town and having to work just to LIVE. Nevermind passions when you have to pay the bills, right?

I would suggest to you several things:

-If you've been in college for six years and you still don't know what you want to do, it's time to leave college! More school isn't going to help you make up your mind. Go back when you feel more certain about your goals, so you can make the most of the education you're paying for.

-I know you're working, but you should try to work in a field you're actually interested in (if at all possible). Try to get an internship. You'll get a much better feel for whether you can make a career out of one of your interests, versus keeping it as a hobby.

-Don't try to do everything! I had that problem too. If you like to read, draw, care for animals, fly planes, and cook, you don't have to do them all at once! You can have a fulfilling life even if your career field has nothing to do with your passions. A job isn't the be-all end-all of life, it's a paycheck. You can always pursue other things outside of work!
Jessie1213
Thanks to everyone who responded, especially ululah, you gave me a few things to think about. I do tend to try to cram all my passions into one job or goal instead of staying focused on one thing at a time. That's definitely something I need to work on. I still haven't decided whether or not to return to school, but that's mostly because of financial reasons. I feel more comfortable taking some time off and just living for a while, but the threat of paying back so much in just six months is really overwhelming. I've been thinking about taking one or two classes this spring just to defer my payments, but taking classes that have nothing to do with the degree I have in progress. Maybe just something that randomly catches my eye. It might be nice to try a low-stress class that doesn't count for anything to the school, but might help broaden my view of things and enlighten me to something else that might interest me.

Again, thanks to all, and if anyone comes up with a breakthrough answer to life, let me know! smile.gif
hellcat
I write two finals on friday and then I do 9 wks of student teaching...and then? Then what? I'm so used to registering for classes for each next semestre and well next semestre is "get a real job" time. I don't wanna! I know it is a cliché but but but...I'm scared.
Scared to find a teaching job and scared that I will suddenly hate teaching. Scared that I may have to leave the area and the implications that that may bring to my relationship. I'm scared that I won't take as big of chances even though he is behind me.
Perhaps I should take this to a relationship thread as this brief bout of self-reflection has let me know my insecurities are just all over the place. Eff.
I think I get ya on the money front Jessie if I enrolled in school again I would love to defer those payments but like the advice given I won't be doing myself much of a service just to prolong this business. I will teach. I can't get over that- people are going to send their kids to me. Excuse me while I let this blow my mind.
konphusion26
There must be a cruel joke being played on me by LIFE LOL. I've reached a crossroads after being unemployed for a year. Going back to school full time to finish the degree I started would be IDEAL.

However, with the economy looking increasingly terrible, i know that I need to get a job. My husband cannot possibly be the sole breadwinner on his salary; and definitely not long enough for me to complete these 2 years of school.

What the hell man. I mean we've still gotta live and eat. So do I put my own ambitions aside and be real about how things are??? This SUCKS so bad. I regret dropping out. To be totally real, I don't even know what I'd do with this degree. But I know I don't like leaving things undone. I need some real answers like yesterday man.

I guess I should stop worrying about it.
ululah
There are lots of ways to go back to school, konphusion. Can you take any classes online or part-time, so you're at least making a little bit of progress towards your degree? I'm in a similar situation; I really want to go back to school, but I think I will have to forgo school so that I can concentrate on bringing home a paycheck. I'm still trying to find ways to make it work so that I can apply next year.
konphusion26
QUOTE(ululah @ Oct 15 2008, 08:32 PM) *
There are lots of ways to go back to school, konphusion. Can you take any classes online or part-time, so you're at least making a little bit of progress towards your degree? I'm in a similar situation; I really want to go back to school, but I think I will have to forgo school so that I can concentrate on bringing home a paycheck. I'm still trying to find ways to make it work so that I can apply next year.

Well, I've taken just about 85% of the classes I need already (5 yrs ago when I didn't have to work). These remaining ones are face to face type classes that will require so many hours in the actual classroom and volunteer work, etc. And most of them are not offered at night. Only during the day!! WHICH SUCKS! I don't know. It will work it self out i suppose. I'll just have to be in school longer sad.gif if I should decide to work full time.

Now that I think about it, I don't drive so that may make things more difficult. I've never done work and school at the same time. So i don't quite know how to swing this.

blaaaaahhhh! Best of luck ululah!
princess_dander
working and going to school sucks big time. there are times when I am motivated and can pull it off, but I need breaks in doing this. I just lost my job and am taking two classes right now and looking for another jobs..i have no other word in my vocabulary to describe this except to say that it sucks.

I freak out when I look back at the course of my life and what I've studied and where I am going. At my last job someone there didn't want to hire me because my resume seemed "flakey because it had no direction" which really wasn't true, it just was a different direction...and that lady was a bitch.

But I have had jobs from bike messenger to EMT to fundraiser to my last job in social work and now i am studying music. It was music and psych with the well meaning thought of being a music therapist, but I lost my desire to help people with being burned out and all and was looking at an audio arts program the whole time thinking "what the hell is wrong with me?" I feel like I have no character, no focus, maybe I have no direction or am just good at so many things, but whatever it is, it makes me sad because I want to be degreed doing something I love.
janeinane
Hi Dander! I gotta say, you may not have focus at this moment, but you have tons of character. You're smart, passionate, and creative... I know it's tiring, but you'll get there! Raawr, go get 'em! smile.gif
starpiste
so I'm progressing a bit. I've decided to explore homeopathy and flower essences just through library books, but I've also worked out some assistant hours with my current boss. It's consistent money but different work to keep me excited. I also had an interview for part-time work at a yarn store this morning. It would only be about 10 hours a week, but very exciting.

Also, I've picked up a few books recently on carerrs andso far they;ve been really good. One was called "the anti 9to5 guide". It was really varied and had really concrete ideas as well as a lot of real wolrd examples. It wasn't self-employed biased and included options for oworking for corporations in different ways.

The other was "Do the work you love". Tons of exercises and really looks at what you've done before as a way of seeing what you could do in the future. A lot of neat life organizing exercises too. A bit outdated internet wise but still useful.
snow white
any nurses on the bust board???? i'm a brand new LPN and scared as hell. need advice on how to keep my head above water in hospital hell....
sassygrrl
Star, I'll have to look for those books.

I'm meeting with a recruiter tomorrow from University of Washington to discuss the library science program. I have no idea how it will pan out as a career, but I thought it would be an interesting talk.

Dander, don't give up.

konphusion26
Warning: Whiny rant below. Proceed at your own risk. LOL

I would like to get to a point in my life where a career is more rewarding than just a paycheck. I would like to have extra money to go towards things other than bills sometime. I've been whining about furthering my education. But school would have really sucked azz right now. So I'm kind of glad I decided not to go. Finding a job has proven to be way more important to me at the moment. It's stressful enough by itself. I'm just so disappointed that i had to make that choice. It's either help provide for your family or pursue a degree that you may/may not even end up using.

Having no direction in life really bites. And I'm sick of it honestly. Perhaps once this economy turns around, an opportunity will present itself again. I hope so, 'cause I'm not getting any younger LOL I'm sure i"m not the only one that feels this way though.

*end rant*

persimmon_grrrl
has anybody ever consulted an astrologer for guidance?
sassygrrl
Persimmon, that's weird. I am actually considering that. I just don't want to get scamed.
hiddenpoet
i've never consulted an astrologer for guidance but i've consulted a numerologist many years ago. i had fun there and i leaned a lot about how others perceive me which helped me figure out why i was met with so much resistance in many areas of my life at the time. for me it was worth it.
sassygrrl
PG, Did you go? There's a astrologer that my mom went to in Sedona, that seems to help. I may get her number. I just feel lost career-wise. I feel like it's been this way for me for over 5 years. People have asked me what have I done with my life (old friends from high school and such), and I never know what to tell them.

sassygrrl
Ugh. I know I want to go to graduate school. Now, in what program? Yes, I like the idea of library science but do I want to study that the rest of my life? Same goes for speech pathology, linguistics, or english!!! Bugger!!!
Lily_Anne
Hi all, I'm applying to graduate programs and thought I had a pretty idea of what I want to do. But recently I've been more and more into the idea of divinity school. It's weird because I don't see myself as more religious as other people of faith. And certainly the sky hasn't opened up and I'm not hearing voices or anything. I am not a prophet. But, the types of classes that MDivs take are what interest me. Any thoughts?
raisingirl
*knock knock*

Bump?
raisingirl
Nobody home?

Well, I thought this video was inspirational, it's Jillian Michaels talking about how she left being a trainer for a while because she thought she should find "a real job," but realized she didn't want to do the other things she tried, ultimately choosing to stay true to herself. smile.gif
angie_21
No one home because I have no idea what to do with my life. I wish I had strong passions and desires for what to do with my life, but really the things I am passionate about are things you either do for free (volunteer/charity work/hobbies) and things you have to pay for.

I guess if I knew how to turn such things into a business... the only problem is that the two things I passionately hate are business and finances.
solaria
When I went through the " oh, god, I can't wait tables for the rest of my life" epiphany, I knew I had to make some changes. I never finished my bachelor's degree, but I knew plenty of people with liberal arts degrees still waiting tables as well. I know I'm not suited to a 40 hour a week desk job either. Massage school definitely put me on a more directed path....and I do love doing massage and being a doula is great.

Now I'm contemplating either midwifery school or doing more as a pre/postnatal massage education. It's hard to make a living as either, average income is like 30K or under. I've been so transient it's hard to build a client base, so I do all kinds of other supplemental things for income, like house painting, babysitting, farm work, and yes, waiting tables. It's so hard to know.
raisingirl
Barbara Sher and Martha Beck have written some great books on the subject of finding one's life passions.
sassygrrl
I checked out those books, and I liked that video.

Is anyone on here a librarian? I keep wanting to maybe go into that field. There are no schools in Oregon though. I guess I could do it long distance. I know UW has a good program, but it's hard to get into right now.

How is everyone doing?

likeanyother
Hi all. Haven’t posted in here before, but figuring out ‘what the hell I’m going to do with my life’ has been plaguing me lately, so I thought I’d give it a go. I have a bachelor’s degree in Anthropology and am working as a web/print designer for SHIT money. It’s not the most terrible thing in the world, but the place I work for sucks, and feel like I’m discovering that sitting at a desk for 8.5 hours a day is the long, slow road to insanity for me.

I’ve decided to make the sorta crazy/impulsive move to teach English as a second language in Asia for a year. I’m really looking forward to it (doing something different and satisfying my wanderlust despite being broke/in debt), but I’m already worried about what I’m going to do when I get back. I have the notion that I want to go to grad school, but for what?!

I’m feeling a few different general directions -- one of them is library science. Sassygirl, do you know anyone who's done the UW program? I’ve also read that it’s a good program, but I’ve been out of school for a while, so I’m not sure how I stack up against other candidates. My dad is a librarian and he enjoys his job for the most part. But, I know what you’re saying about not being sure you could do that for the rest of your life. Basically, I love books and helping people, so it seems like a good fit, but the reality of it is that it is another routine/work-a-day world type of job, and oftentimes working with the public can be hair-tearingly frustrating (dealing with patrons peeing in the seats, not in the job description), plus working for the gov’t with the never-ending funding cuts and all that can be depressing. I don’t know…. I guess the reality of most jobs don’t measure up to how I idealize them from the cubicle of a job I hate, but still, there’s gotta be something…

Anyway, that was a bit of a ramble. How is everyone in here? Where are you at and are you any closer to figuring out where you want to go? Has anyone considered teaching English abroad? Just curious.
sassygrrl
likeanyother, it's funny you posted about teaching English in Asia. I was considering teaching it in Korea a few years back. My fiancee and I split, and I hear he's still there. I was just worried about what to do after the program ended.

I haven't spoken to anyone at UW, but plan to email a few students. I also am going to email some other schools. My boyfriend really loves University of Georgia, but they don't have a program. I have to wonder why there are so few programs out there. Is it a dying field? I'm still a little anxious, because it's been a number of years since I've been out of school. There are a ton of online programs, but I don't know if I would really like that program.

I'm applying for a job as a library specialist, and they offer tuition reimbursement. However, the school is in Valdosta, and I'd be working in Decatur, GA. ?

Still also considering speech pathology and grant writing. Special education was one of my majors in college.

Just got to find a direction. That's the hard part.

likeanyother
Very true, sassygirl. The university where my dad got his MLS degree, and where I got my BA, stopped offering the program, which really sucks because if it was still there I probably would have applied and gone straight from undergrad to grad, rather than drifting around working jobs that have nothing to do with my "field" and pay shit money. I asked my dad why he thought they dropped the program and he said a lot of universities don't consider it a truly "academic" field. I don't know if that's true or not. I don't think it's a dying field, the importance of libraries has become very apparent during this recession. They've done a great job of adapting to new technologies and new ways of storing, accessing and sharing information. I think so, anyway....

However, recently (like, today laugh.gif ) I've been very struck by the notion that I want to pursue my original path and go into Anthropology. Originally I just felt so bogged down in all the academics of it that I just needed to get out and do something artsy and techny and not think about research or statistics or anything of the sort. But now, I miss it.... Gah, I still don't freaking know what I'm going to do. At least I have this year to figure things out.

I almost did go to Korea, but I really wanted to learn Mandarin and I heard Taiwan is pretty sweet. I hope things work out, my job there still isn't finalized, which worries me a little since I already told my current job I was quitting. Even if this teaching job does fall through, I'm going to just effing go and find a job when I get there.

Starting next Monday only two more weeks of this crapjob!
sassygrrl
Aren't you in Korea now then?

I'm now considering creative writing or film studies. I have no idea if there is hope in either field. I'm an okay writer, but not great. I love arts and culture. Library Science seems like it has to do a lot with people, and I'm pretty shy. I just want to be about books or film. I'd love to do film preservation, but don't know if many schools offer it. I thought about speech pathology, but don't know if it's what I would love to do. Maybe art preservation too. When I wanted to grow up as a kid, I wanted to be a paleotologist... but it's too much science!

Ugh. Considering reading some more what's my passion books. I took the Myers Briggs tests, and it didn't seem to help much.
likeanyother
I'm going to be in Taiwan -- flying out on June 23 -- I had strongly considered Korea but went with Taiwan in the end for a variety of factors. (Now I'm pretty glad I did, considering what's going on in N. Korea. Scary!)

Anyway, I know exactly what you mean about shyness playing a role in your career choice. That's actually a big part of why I moved away from Anthropology toward web design in the first place. I just couldn't bear the thought of giving a thesis defense, or standing up in front of a classroom of college students, or all the shmoozing one has to do to develop academic relationships through networking. Sitting at a computer coding away all day, that's a thought I could bear. Turns out, that was unbearable in its own ways -- at least where I was working, which involved being underpaid, undervalued, undermined, etc. Maybe if I had my own design business I could do it, but ya know how that goes, takes money to make money and alla that.

I'm hoping teaching kiddies english and moving to a foreign culture will help me grow out of some of my shyness. At least to the point where it's not a deciding factor in my choice of careers. I really am strongly drawn to primatology, which is a subset of Anthropology and totally, utterly appealing to me. It is hard road to take though, like I said in my previous post, I'm not too keen on years of school and bigger piles of debt only to end up unemployed and scrambling for yet another direction to go in.

Anyway, sassy, both film and art preservation sound really interesting. Good luck in continued pursuit of your passion. It's an unsettling place to be in, but also sort of exciting with the possibilities and the mystery of it.
sybarite
Sassy, have you considered studying to be an archivist? I worked in a film archive as a cataloguer (I kind of fell into it, it was awesome if badly paid) and while I was there they hired a paper archivist to go through old documents. The course she did was a year-long postgraduate course, but I'm in Europe and qualifications may differ a lot. It strikes me that archive work may put you where you want to be--jobs come up (albeit occasionally) in museums and public libraries.

It is fairly solitary work, and quite specific; not a lot of transferable skills. I've not heard of a film archiving/preservation course , but then I've never looked: it strikes me as something that shouldn't require more than a year's focused training.

/my 2 cents...
shibooya
Ok, so I'm just jumping into the middle of this topic, but I'm finding myself in the same age-old quarter life crisis dilemma of what to do with my life. But this is more of a rant than anything else because here's my argument:

I feel like the whole job market needs a major facelift. I think certain degrees and disciplines are underappreciated and underpaid. I mean, I know that's not news (hello, education) but it's frustrating as a student with a BA in English, I just feel like it's worthless and there's zero incentive for me to get an MA here's why: I get paid barely 23k to make copies and answer phones and the job REQUIRED that I have a BA. Just for that. I'm overqualified and overeducated, so what's my next option? To sacrifice my life for 2 more years of education to make a whopping 30k? And in an office job I'll probably hate? Wow, thanks but no thanks.

I know, to the unemployed I sound like I'm whining and being a total brat but I just don't don't see the payoff.

But the general consensus (from family and friends) is that I should suck it up and get the degree and move on with a career. I just can't do it.

Am I alone in my thinking?
candycane_girl
Shibooya, I kind of understand where you're coming from. It seems like once upon a time a person could get a decent job straight out of high school. And then they started getting degrees. Now everyone has a degree and it doesn't get you a damn thing. I swear, it's like you need to finish grad school just to get people to listen to you. The whole system drives me a bit crazy. And it makes me wonder what things we'll be like for the next generation. It seems like you need 10 years of post secondary just to get a decent paying job.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.