Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The Empress's New Clothes: The Apparel thread
The BUST Lounge > Forums > Absolutely Fad-ulous
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16
sybarite
Oh, I had forgotten about bluefly! Cheers!
edie52
I want to get something new for when I pick up my boyfriend at the airport. I saw 2 nice things at H&M, made out of the exact same material (medium grey wool with a really subtle brown plaid pattern). One is a dress something like this http://shop.hm.com/se/?action=viewshopping...ept=DAM_OVR_KLA but with more of a waist (ETA- it's the first one on the tenth page). The other thing is a voluminous skirt with a high waist- I don't always like skirts like that, but it's totally cute and makes my waist look tiny.

I'm going to ask a friend for a second opinion, but the question is, who? It's between a female friend, a gay guy friend, and a straight guy friend.
coela
edie52, not that I have seen you high-waisted skirt (but I have a pretty good idea),
but I always opt for clothes with waist, I think it's sexier and looks better on most people.
And as for second opinions, why not ask all of them? :-)
auralpoison
I am fighting not to go on a retail therapy binge. I've found $1500 worth of just shoes & handbags. Okay, three pairs of shoes & a handbag. But they're so pretty!
candycane_girl
Hey everyone. I have a dilemma. I have a party to go to next week and the theme is 1963. When I think 60s I think of Edie Sedgwick, Twiggy and Audrey Hepburn. All waifs. I am a plus sized girl. What the hell can I wear that will look cool and 60s? All I can think of is tent dresses (hey, if Beth Ditto can do it then so can I) and I'm praying that I can find one at Value Village.
coela

candycane girl, I don't know how you feel about your legs? There are both loose tunics and regular, knee length dresses
with a cinched waist in the 1963 fashion. I think it's somewhat easier to buy a new, 60s inspired dress than trying to find
a cute vintage dress in plus size - I find that they are often quite matronly and that the materials are yucky.
If you're into tunics & tights, it shouldn't be that hard to find something cute. Shirt dresses were around in 1963,
and they can be really cute, too! Or something like this dress from Target?

I bought a black, double-breasted, fitted coat a few weeks ago. MY VERY FIRST COAT! I've always had jackets before,
or parkas, or a wooly sweater. It's knee length and very, very pretty, I think. I was a little worried at first because it's
double-breasted, it's not considered "flattering" if you're plus size, but I don't care now. I love it to pieces!

candycane_girl
I love the loose tunic look. I'm not even bothering with the vintage shops here because in my experience they barely offered anything cool that was higher than a size 10. I'm still going to check out Value Village and then I figured that H&M would be my last resort because they usually have that tunic stuff.
lananans
H&M is usually okay for sizes too... I wear anywhere between a 12-16 depending on my weight (which fluctuates up and down between those sizes, currently closer to the 16 range) and I have a bunch of stuff from H&M that I love. Currently I'm wearing a Purple turtleneck tunic dress from Gap, which is also good for sizes, if usually dull in terms of selection.
crinoline
The boy and I are going to celebrate our (very belated) anniversary soon, and I really want a corset.
However, I am having trouble wading through the flimsy plastic boned bustiers littered across the net.
Our price range is up to about $75. Yeah, I know. You can't get a decent corset for that, but I'd like a decent imitation.
Any ideas?
auralpoison
Y'know, H&M is weird on sizing, though. I have a skirt that is supposed to be a 10, but it fit me perfectly as a 14. Gorgeous black satin tuxedo skirt.

I can tell I'm gonna go nuts just because I can. And I gotta represent when I am abroad. Respeck!

Dunno about the corsets, though.
newo_ikkin
I spent $75 on a pair of jeans this week. I have yet to wear them because I'm terrified of the possibility of something happening to the. I know its a lot of money... but they look so good on me! lol
konphusion26
I just purchased a smokin purple cowlneck sweater dress for $35.00 Wednesday night on amazon.com. I just hope my chunky azz can get into it once it gets here LOL That is my early birthday present to ME to wear out to dinner on that day. Its something totally opposite of my usual frumpy attire. We'll see how it goes. For someone with no fashion sense at all, shopping truly sucks. LOL But its rewarding when you find something that looks HOT.
candycane_girl
Well, I ended up with a decent dress for the party and it was a 14. I'm kind of glad too because when I lose weight I can still wear it and it will just fit a bit better. Don't worry though, I wasn't bursting out of it or anything!
lananans
newo - I know what you mean with the 75$ Jeans, but if they fit well it makes it worth it for sure! I go to university on a campus where the majority of girls are wandering around in $200+ designer jeans and UGG boots are EVERYWHERE, and I bet none of them paid a cent for them *cough* daddy*. Makes me angry.

and aural - yeah, I agree H&M is weird on sizing. You just have to keep trying things on, but eventually I can usually find something that fits.
sesame
Crinoline, do you have Forever 21 or Charlotte Russe or any of those "disposable clothing"-type stores (as I call them) in your area? I've found corset-y items at stores like that before. They were cheap, but served the purpose.
annelise
oh, the sadness of shoe shopping online when it goes wrong--i bought these
http://www.barefoottess.com/OnlineStore/De...enny/PLovK-Grp/

i was so excited about comfy-cute flats!

but they are too big for me, though they said to order a size up (i'm more of a half-size, so that's too bad i guess). they were all clearancey and non-returnable and i'm really disappointed! does anyone have experience selling shoes on ebay?
sexysandee
QUOTE(annelise @ Jan 23 2008, 06:39 PM) *
oh, the sadness of shoe shopping online when it goes wrong--i bought these
http://www.barefoottess.com/OnlineStore/De...enny/PLovK-Grp/

i was so excited about comfy-cute flats!

but they are too big for me, though they said to order a size up (i'm more of a half-size, so that's too bad i guess). they were all clearancey and non-returnable and i'm really disappointed! does anyone have experience selling shoes on ebay?

yes, it's easy and sense they have never been worn, just put that in the description...they usually go quickly... goodluck
mouse
i rarely lurk in this thread and even more rarely post but i FINALLY bought myself a jacket and it arrived today and i'm in love with it...i've been wearing this super-thin unlined canvas jacket with a big rip on the shoulder through now three california winters and even though yeah, it's so cal, it gets freaking COLD. unfortunately not cold enough to merit the use of the giant knee-length down parka i needed when i lived in boston, so i've been just sucking it up and wearing sweatshirts under my stupid canvas jacket (about the warmth of a jean shirt). finally i got around to looking for and buying a *real* jacket, and i spent more money than i think i've possibly ever spent on a single piece of clothing for it, but i LOVE IT and it's so cozy and warm and YAY.

this is it: poorboy fleece

<3 laugh.gif
konphusion26
Lesson learned about buying shoes online... dont wait till the week before the event to purchase super cute shoes. They may not fit, so then you're stuck with ye olde stand-bys till you can return them. GREAT!!!! Bought these really cute heels (my very first pair) The SHOE

They were very comfy but they were like a half a size too big.. my feet were just a floppin!! Dangit. Thought I could salvage it and perhaps get by but nahhh, if i wear hose i'll end up breakin my neck. And that gap in the back just isnt attractive.

Oh well, guess i'm stuck with my good old uncomfortable boots!! LOL
coela

Mouse - I love your jacket!!

I just bought both the cardigan and skirt in this picture. Here's a close-up of the skirt.

I don't look anything like the model, but we have the exact same hair style and colour,
so maybe that's what tricked me into buying the whole package...

SheMcB
Just wondering if there are any NYC ladies about. I'm heading to the city at the end of the month, and I need new shopping/hunting ground. H&M, Zara, Century 21, Uniqlo, Opening Ceremony are my usual stops, just looking for somewhere new, Boots and shoes are on the agenda for this trip. Clothes size wise, I run around a 14-16 so, I've had the same issues at H&M that everyone else has had. Vintage, discount and 'round the way suggestions are welcome,
thanks!
S
sybarite
I bought a dress for a do we're going to this weekend. It'll be fairly relaxed but still demands some sense of ceremony... on the chilled side of semi-formal.

The dress is black, with one of those near-empire waists, and totally plain aside from a strip of black leather at the (higher) waist. It's got batwingy sleeves but is actually cute and reasonably flattering on (which is why I bought it.)

I don't really have a necklace I like enough to wear with it so was going to go with only plain silver earrings (little silver balls, bought in Oaxaca) and my white gold engagement ring; dark grey hold ups and black posh mary janes.

Is this too minimalist? I don't go out enough anymore...

ETA: this is it...
frock
bunnyb
syb, it's a beautiful dress; I really like it. I have a thing about lower necklines and bare necks but if you don't have something already that you would like to wear with it then I would go without. The earrings sound lovely too. Minimalist is sometimes so much nicer and classier than being glammed up and this sounds as if it will be one of those outfits.
sybarite
Aw, thanks bunnyb! I generally agree about lower necklines + a bare neck: it almost seems deliberately underdressed. I'd rather a bare neck though than a necklace I'm not crazy about, that's not 'me'. I'm not big on jewellery generally; it has to be quite simple for me to like it.

I am going to carry my little silver box purse, which may help too.
crinoline
sybarite- That is a totally cute outfit (love the purse idea). You can definitely work the sophisticated minimalist angle. If you're concerned about the level of formality, you can always amp it up with a smokey eye or similarly dramatic makeup.
mornington
syb, that's a gorgeous dress! and i don't know about the level of formality (I'm a really bad judge of these things) but i might go for coloured tights or no tights at all... something striking which wouldn't interfere with the dress itself.

and maybe a little silk scarf instead of a necklace? I'm more in favour of the low neckline and no necklace look, but then again, I'm not a big necklace person when it comes to formal events...

*goes back to procrastinating*
konphusion26
Anyone have any ideas for an apple body shape? I'm bigger/broader up top and narrower at the hips on down. I have NO fashion sense whatsoever,and would be content rocking tshirts, sweats, and jeans all the time. I really would like to give myself a makeover, while concealing problem areas (ie. tummy and arms). Seems like when I buy tops to try and minimize those areas, it makes my bottom half look even smaller and out of proportion.

Please help! lol

~style inept bustie~ Kon26
crinoline
konphusion- I found these fashion tip videos specific to each body type.
Here are some ideas for outfits:
Casual chic
Out on the Town
Sweet and Sassy
Easy Style
I believe the general foolproof "rules" for apple bodies are V necklines and gently flared bottoms (A-line skirts or wide leg pants). Hope that helps!
sybarite
OK, here's a challenge. I am looking for pale grey sheer hold ups or tights. For whatever reason, none of the numerous department stores I've visited have anything lighter than dark grey or 'almost black'. I'm going to look around online but any suggestions would be welcomed. I need them to wear with a silver dress. Cheers, in advance!
bunnyb
syb, have you tried Topshop or Oasis? I have a few pairs (different shades) of grey tights and they are from those stores.
bunnyb
drat.
sybarite
Cheers bunnyb! I actually found some on figleaves.com in 'silver grey' which should work. I may check out top shop and oasis anyway though... I'm starting to think that for spring I can't have too many pairs of grey tights!
crazyoldcatlady
QUOTE(sybarite @ Feb 28 2008, 07:07 AM) *
I bought a dress for a do we're going to this weekend. It'll be fairly relaxed but still demands some sense of ceremony... on the chilled side of semi-formal.

The dress is black, with one of those near-empire waists, and totally plain aside from a strip of black leather at the (higher) waist. It's got batwingy sleeves but is actually cute and reasonably flattering on (which is why I bought it.)

I don't really have a necklace I like enough to wear with it so was going to go with only plain silver earrings (little silver balls, bought in Oaxaca) and my white gold engagement ring; dark grey hold ups and black posh mary janes.

Is this too minimalist? I don't go out enough anymore...

ETA: this is it...
frock

i am coveting thy dress, syb. anyone out there know a US website/retailer that would have something very similar to this??
sybarite
It's from Urban Outfitters. I know their stock changes across branches but maybe you can find it on their US website, or even if you have a nearby branch?

It's terrifyingly comfy on too. I recommend.
crinoline
syb- you might want to check out these tights, they come in "slate".
although silver grey is probably more what you're looking for.
girltrouble
lust, lust, lust. covet, covet ,covet:sigh. perhaps this should be my amazon summer where i wear heels n skirts and terrorize the locals...

...holy shiznit.... those d'orsay pumps i loved last year are on sale.....O.o
mornington
GT: do it. the "missy" pumps are gorgeous!

does anyone know of the best way to take in a high-waisted skirt? the bloody thing is a little loose at the back (it's my curse, nothing ever fits my arse/small back combo without a belt)
sybarite
GT, I love both the Veronica and the Missy pumps. I second mornington; go for it.

Morn, the best way to take in anything is along the seam. Just pinch (and pin if you need to) the amount of fabric you want taken in along the seam, and sew a new seam keeping the pinched bit on the inside of the skirt. (Does this make sense?) I do everything like that with a needle and thread but a sewing machine will produce a neater seam. It won't be totally invisible though as you can tell the fabric has been 'pulled' if you look closely, depending on how much you're taking in.

That's what I would do, but there may be sewing professionals out there who have better (and clearer) suggestions...
auralpoison
It is a moral imperative that you own those shoes, GT. A moral imperative, I say!

That's how I rationalized my last psychotic shoe-gasm.
girltrouble
lol.... well i would if i could, but being the amazon i am, but none of them come in my size....

....sniff, sniff....
dusty
You have supermodel feet.
auralpoison
Yeah, sizing is one of those Tgirl pitfalls. Hell, *I* get screwed by my big feets. And there is no such thing as standard sizes no matter what they tell us. Even within the same brand! I have a few pairs by the same company that vary in size from nine to eleven & a half!
falljackets
gt, i followed the links too and i couldn't find anything in my size either. all i could find to fit my size 10s were some cod-awful betsey johnsons. i mean, normally, i'd kill for some betseys. but damn. these were not good atall!

(((bigfoots)))
mornington
they don't have my size. I'm only a seven (9 in US sizing) which is pretty standard in the uk...
girltrouble
You have supermodel feet.

uh, yeah, no i don't my feet aren't that cute, and they certainly aren't supermodels.... my drag mom, the one with the foot fetish-- now she has supermodel feet. i swear, i think feet are kinda gross, but hers sparkle like one of those g'ddamned glitter pix on myspace... she has beautiful, stunning supermodel feet.

but thanks for trying to cheer me up. but it doesn't bother me.

i'm only slightly larger than a size 10, so i'm just over the mark. 11s are usually too big, so pfft.
it's probably a good thing. i rarely buy or wear heels-- i'm 6-6'1" so i'm tall anyways, i just love them as objects. i drool and dream, but i'm lucky if i wear the heels i do have (which i love very much) only once a month-- if that. *shrugs* oh well.

nice to know that there are other big foots, tho.
auralpoison
Oh, I top out over six feet in heels. Part of the reason I like them. I can SEE over everybody! But I don't wear them often. I just love them & covet them. I got a pair of Ferragamo corset-back pumps a few years ago that I LUSTED after. I bought them many seasons late & was so happy. BUT. I've never worn them in public. They're so special that I don't want to waste their magic on just anything.

When I was packing to move HB watched. He was shocked & aroused & irritated that I had so many girlie things he's never seen. He totaly popped a rod when the 5" thigh high patent boots came out!

Y'know, there is a shoe thread. The clothing girlies might be getting annoyed with us!
sybarite
Man, speaking of shoes and I suppose willfully continuing this derailment, can I just say there are some damn ugly shoes out there. I went shoe shopping for some plain pumps in a bright colour, and all I find for dressy shoes are piles of icky, blingy silver diamonte encrusted nightmares. I am fond of the odd carefully selected metallic fashion item but these things were everywhere. And where were all those cute chunky heels?
girltrouble
i say we have a contest to find the most HIDEOUS shoes.... cos there are some scary pairs out there.....

but in the mean time, they are having a sale on trench coats at macy's and i can't figure out which one to get
trenches
it's between the first 3 and i am leaning towards the 1ST and the 3rd.
auralpoison
Number 3! That shit is tight. Le merde!

SHOES! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3HjIljJd-o0&feature=user

Almost as good as "Let Me Borrow That Top".
mornington
number three!

i've been seeing some hellacious orthopaedic-looking wedges. or are they platforms? they're almost goth-girl style, but... shitter. must find some pictures.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.