Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The Empress's New Clothes: The Apparel thread
The BUST Lounge > Forums > Absolutely Fad-ulous
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16
sassygrrl
Crin, thanks!

Well, I live in GA but the wedding will be in Boston. I just need a shoe that has a strap on the back, so I thought sandals or something like that, would be okay. I may try a low heel, as long as I have a few weeks to break it in. I just know they'll be dancing at the reception.
sassygrrl
Crin, thanks!

Well, I live in GA but the wedding will be in Boston. I just need a shoe that has a strap on the back, so I thought sandals or something like that, would be okay. I may try a low heel, as long as I have a few weeks to break it in. I just know they'll be dancing at the reception.
dusty
I think a sandal without a back strap would be a bit too casual for a wedding...and not especially comfortable for dancing, either. The bolero is a nice idea.
sassygrrl
No, it is going to be with a back strap, otherwise I'll walk out of it. Can I get any more suggestions on a dress please? The jacket makes me look too mother of the bride. I may just chuck the idea, and just end up with a long satin gown, or maybe a shirt or three quarter sleeve dress.
sybarite
So much going on in here!

Nickclick, I love that dress! I'm definitely going to check TD out when we get around to planning our wedding, so cheers for the tip!

Morn, of the excellent suggestions below I most like the flowery dress from Top Shop and the nude ruffled one from Oasis. If you're not sure of how formal/traditional it will be, I would cover your shoulders and try not to wear black, even black with a pattern. Cover your legs or not as you think best: you can show respect and still be yourself.

Weddings used to scare me decorum-wise, so now I plan my outfit carefully (as some of you may have noticed.. rolleyes.gif ) and make damn sure I'll be comfortable as well as cute, and appropriate.

Boleros and a cute but sizeable purse help. Try and break in new shoes before the wedding if poss.

Sassy, I too can't really do heels. I went for a funky-ish option with a very low heel for the wedding I went to recently, but I do agree with dusty on the sandals.

*looks down to see cross-post* Honestly, I would go for the simplest, maybe knee-length dress and a bolero if it's sleeveless. I usually find the simplest dresses are the most flattering anyway. Go for a dressy fabric. Satin can be unforgiving (on me anyway) but taffeta is lovely and feels great. Avoid cotton or lycra mixes.
whatagirlwants
I bough these recently from Steve Madden, I love them. They're nothing fancy shamcy, but i love just throwing them on
auralpoison
*covet*

http://www.zappos.com/n/p/dp/34470944/c/21143.html
crinoline
aural - those are hot! I want them in red *plots outfit*
whatagirl- I love having a nice accessory (shoe/bag) that you can throw on everyday and feel both fashionable and comfortable.
sassy- I hope the wedding shopping is going well

-I'm not sure if this belongs in shameless self promotion or not, because I'm not selling anything and I want advice, but if anyone feels that this doesn't belong here, let me know and I'll move it.
I'm entering the 50s pinup outfit competition, and I can do several outfits.
Here is my profile page. My first entry is a mix of black, red, and white.
For my second entry, do y'all think I should do pink and gold (think marilyn monroe in betsey johnson) or a nautical pinup theme with red, white, and navy blue?
falljackets
crinoline, that might very well be the coolest fashion-related website i have ever seen. and your first entry is awesome! WANT! smile.gif

i would love to see the pink and gold since it would be so vastly different from the first. either that or go with the nautical but with yellow instead of red... i dunno, just a thought. hell, do 'em BOTH!

ap, i followed your link this morning and have been coveting all the pretty heels all day now. *dreamy sigh*
crinoline
My second entry is complete, I went with pink and gold. For my third (and final) entry, should I do black/red/leopard, or blue and red w/ white polka dots? I'm currently working on both.
vixen_within
Those entries look amazingly balanced and so well co ordinated, you have a very nice eye. I have no further suggestions, but it looks like fun.
girltrouble
um.... crino, that was quite possibly the equivalent of giving small pox blankets to the indians. i have been trying to hard not to look around the net for cute things to buy (and failing miserably, i might add), and i can only agree with fj when she says it's one of the coolest fashion related websites EVA!

sigh. perhaps i should just wallow in my waterloo.

(but at the same time i just want to thank you, thank you thank you crino! so freakin' cool! your entrys are so on point, and... and... and i'm gonna be on that website for days.)
crinoline
I KNOW!!! I'm so impossibly addicted now! I'm sorry to spread the contagion, but it's such a nice sickness! I seriously waste all of my time on that website, making impossible outfits.
Are you registered gt? I'd love to be your contact *does happy girly dance at thought of Busties on polyvore*!!
and thanks for the nice comments people, the truth is that those outfits are the result of hours of window shopping / fiddling around. I love that website *happy sigh*.
-sorry for the derailment of regular clothing convo, I just get really excited over my favorite outfits!

ETA - third entry finished, I went with gray, red-orange, and black.
girltrouble
omg... crino-- that's like fucking crack!

i'm not a member yet, but just surfing on it... good god....

it's only a matter of time...

eta:ok, i'm registered as 'lil ms.fatcaps. i haven't finished any thing, i'm too busy looking around... damn you crino... smile.gif
i've always loved pencil skirts and this site has absolutely screwed up my chances of staying on a budget anytime soon. my main excuse is that i haven't found ones that i like... there goes that excuse....

clothes overload!
*head explodes*
vixen_within
More please!
girltrouble
hi vixen!

lurve your avi...

so are there any jewelry lines you all like? i am in love with lucky brand and fossil's jewelry, and kenneth cole reaction, but none of them really have sites that have their cool pieces on them.... :/
auralpoison
Noir. I love Noir. It isn't cheap as far as accessories go, but they are so dope. The Bust with Beth Ditto on the cover nearly made me cry since she wore a lot of Noir jewelry & I can't seem to find any of those pieces online.

On the cheap, you can't beat H&M for accessories. I'd always wanted a pair of debutante gloves, but white is such a mess & I didn't want anything fetish-y. I found a pair in a pearl grey with six little buttons at the wrist from H&M that were perfect with my Mizrahi faux Persian 3/4 sleeve coat. I did have to take them to my leather guy to re-do the eyes for the buttons & to finish them properly, but it only cost about five bucks. And they look so hot. They make me feel all Age of Innocence when I take them off in front of a partner. Carefully undoing each button & gently sliding them off . . . of course I was once asked to leave them on, but that's for another thread.

I am wanting a big man's watch.
crinoline
I like Disney Couture for style and irony (check out these Snow White earrings ).
I love Betsey Johnson jewelry (especially watches ) for unapologetic fabulousness.
Alas, I am but a poor college student, so most of my jewelry wardrobe consists of vintage finds from thrift stores. I recently scored an amazing long tasseled faux pearl and crystal midcentury necklace that I've been wearing everywhere.

ap - omg I love gloves! They are so classy / sexy at the same time.

*sigh* one more entry. It's crack, and I need help. tongue.gif
konphusion26
QUOTE(crinoline @ May 7 2008, 10:07 PM) *
I like Disney Couture for style and irony (check out these Snow White earrings ).
I love Betsey Johnson jewelry (especially watches ) for unapologetic fabulousness.
Alas, I am but a poor college student, so most of my jewelry wardrobe consists of vintage finds from thrift stores. I recently scored an amazing long tasseled faux pearl and crystal midcentury necklace that I've been wearing everywhere.

ap - omg I love gloves! They are so classy / sexy at the same time.

*sigh* one more entry. It's crack, and I need help. tongue.gif

That black and pink is HOTTTTTTTTTTTT! I dont even like pink, but that my friend is amazing. You made me want to buy all that!
auralpoison
An open letter to Bustie fashionistas:

Girls, you gotta stop. Today I set up an acct with Poly & I dropped about $250 at Macy's on two watches. Plus, I found this utterly pimping slate colored trench that's very masculine, but ties with a big fat bow in front. And I'm looking for a spring/summer dress for a HS graduation. And I still need more shoes. There's these pairs of new spring Fluevogs that are just calling my name.

This is all your fault, feeding my deep-seated fashion issues. Goddamn the pusher man . . . er, pusher women.

AP
crinoline
C'mon AP, you know you want it!
Yep, sorry about the fashion crack pushing. I'm registered under "Crinoline" if you want to contact me (which would be awesome).
That trench sounds hot, I love tailored pieces with incongruous feminine accents! What watches did you get, were they big and chunky like you were craving? And let us know what you decide on for the graduation.

I would love to go shopping, but my last trip was so frustrating (height/sizing issues) that I'm hesitant. At least you're never too short for jewelry! I want these and either this necklace or this one . Also, I need a fun summer bag, like this, or this .
vixen_within
QUOTE(girltrouble @ May 6 2008, 07:49 PM) *
hi vixen!

lurve your avi...
so are there any jewelry lines you all like? i am in love with lucky brand and fossil's jewelry, and kenneth cole reaction, but none of them really have sites that have their cool pieces on them.... :/

Thanks girltrouble smile.gif I like the image, but hope no one thinks it's representative of my actual looks. Bottle red head for a while, but I'm not a pale woman - at all.

So of course I checked out Lucky on ebay and found this and this I didn't end up bidding, but I like!

I just drew a big heart around the lady bug earrings, in my head. I think this pendant is nice too. *covet*

ETA: Well these are gorgeous: Pressed flower necklaces 1 and pressed flower 2. I'm afraid to email her to ask her how much they cost.
auralpoison
I am annoyed that I am such a techno tard that I cannot create decent links. I try, they come up, they lead to notihng.
vixen_within
Aural, don't bother with all of that. just click the green thingie right beside the smilie icon. it's in the options underneath "insert special item" and "fonts" when you're posting. it let's you paste the link in. does that work for you?
crinoline
yeah, that's all I do too.

ETA - Oooh, I almost forgot! I went antiquing with my grandmother recently and I got three pairs of vintage 1950's gloves for $5 apiece!! The first are wrist length white kid church gloves with beautiful cutwork detailing. The second are nearly elbow length shiny ivory nylon, that can be worn straight or scrunched. The last (my fav!) are HOT PINK elastic scrunched cotton elbow length! I'm in glove heaven. Since it's hot here, they are currently proudly displayed around my apartment along with my midcentury flowered hat collection.

vixen - I love the heart pendant too!
femikneesm
QUOTE(girltrouble @ May 7 2008, 09:19 AM) *
hi vixen!

lurve your avi...

I have never seen that Lucky brand stuff before - I am now searching Ebay....some of the pieces are gorgeous. I feel the bidding madness descending (again)....
girltrouble
glad you like them, femi. on ebay the best search is for "lucky brand" you might want to try their site too. but know that they don't carry all their stuff on their site, and they have some online exclusives, so you have to do some hunting/googling.
they really are quite pretty, the cool thing is that many of the bigger stones or pendants have lovely little pictures on the back of them. if you have a macy's or a local department store that has lucky brand, go look at some of them. i wish their site was better so i could have linked the pieces i like. on one hand, i love that their stuff is better than their site, but it's also sad that their site blows.

ut! i just checked the site, and they do have more of their new stuff, but last year's stuff was pretty wonderful too. i have a necklace with red tear drop pendant that i just adore.

i just got these:

they look sliver in the pic, but they are actually gold irl. the cool thing is that the green and blue are transparent and catch light beautifully.

oh, and there some pix of the flip side of their pendants,
i love this piece (but not the chain):

and that's not a print. it's actually sewing (!!!), and here is the back:

which, i don't like as much as the usual pendant backs, but the front is so gorgeous.
macy's carries a smaller version that is amazing too.

i also like the triumph necklace, which has great whimsical motorcycle charms. there is also a great matching charm bracelet.

there is also the clever peace sign mood ring:

i also got a pair of very cute earrings, jlo brand, which i usually don't care form but these are super cute, i just can't find a picture to post. they are pearl shell but turquoise, and cut out in a cool pattern, attached to a gold hoop.
girltrouble
oooooo! i also meant to post something about some of the tops that fornarina is putting out. so cute, bold and fun...

shop fornarina here
and it's my menswear detail ankle boot fetish-- yet again this time by cnc costume national

i'm also liking 'shopstyle' which is a great shopping site. it finds cool things from target to high end places like neiman marcus and all parts inbetween. here is a link to their bracelet page
ap, links are easy: go to the page you want to link to, highlight & copy it. go back to your bust post, and highlite the word you want to make a link, then click the 4th button above the post window. it will prompt you to enter the url, simply paste. done and done!
crinoline
I love that vest-y type top, gt! And the reversible pendants are great!
hellotampon
*delurks*

I got the most delicious little hat last week!
here it is

I never knew about the link-paster thing. It makes things so much easier!
girltrouble
oooo! tampon! so cute!!!!! i love those hats. i just wish i could wear them! and the colors are just dazzling!

*covet, covet!*
crinoline
hellotampon- Ahh! Ahh! OMG!! That is gorgeous ! I looooove midcentury hats! Congrats on your awesome find!
hellotampon
Thanks! I asked another couple to go out on a double date where we can all get dressed up together (even if it's just to go out someplace random) so i have an excuse to wear it. I'm thinking yellow sundress, light blue cardigan, fancy yellow lace-ish belt, and blue or green flats. I'm not sure if it's too casual but I don't know what else I have.

My boyfriend fell asleep in our bedroom and I don't want to wake him up rifling through my clothes but I'll get a picture later and post it for Bustie opinions.
octobersky
Thank you Girltrouble for enabling me on the jewerly!!! wink.gif You're killing me! I lurve the stuff you posted.

Cute hat hello, I have a total hat fetish. I spent over an hour trying on hats in milliner's shop in NOLA. If only I had a few hundered to drop on said hats.....

Off to ebay search for lucky brand jewerly......
LilPinkElectricChair
hellotampon-I truly covet that hat, it is lovely.

I'm graduating high school and as a gift to myself I wanted to buy some dresses. I'm thinking this http://www.chinatowner.com/storefront/list...?idProduct=2767 would be really flattering and pretty, but the lace keeps it modest. I'm not sure though I kind of want to find some dresses in a sort of depression-era style.
octobersky
I scored a pair of Seven jeans at TJ Maxx the other day. I now know what all the fuss is about. They fit my chunky hips and wide behind awesomely!! I was really shocked they actually make my size.
femikneesm
gt - thanks for the extra info - most appreciated.

october - seven for all mankind jeans are actually worth every penny. They are truly wonderful jeans. Check out honestforum.com if you haven't already - you can pick up second hand authentic pairs for great prices.
ananke
I'm in a boot fetish mode at the moment. Torrid had these stretchy and shiny platform wedges a hile back that were awesome - so awesome I bought two pairs that friends then purchased fromme because I didn't account for stretching (both have larger calves than me). So a third pair is in order - except they're no longer around and I cannot find them anywhere in a size 6. Stupid tiny feet and big calves.

That said I'm starting to rock a uniform lately - wide leg pants, bell sleeves with fitted tops. I'm so loving the wide leg pants at the moment.

*pouts* I left two of my three vintage hates behind when I moved - I kept the super awesome grey man hat (think a driving cap) but left the cream pillbox and teal fascinator type one.
sybarite
Ananke, I usually stay away from wide leg trousers because I'm short-ish, but I found some on sale which fit really well which I wear to work.

I'm trying to order some bras from figleaves, and everything I see is padded! I just want some cute bras without foam or other 'shaping' devices. Any brand recommendations? I can get stuff here but it's cheaper to buy online and get them shipped to a US address...
crinoline
syb- I recently fell in love with Intimissimi lingerie. It's available at the dreaded victorias secret, BUT (IMO) much nicer and better fitting. And even better, it's cheap!! I can afford beautiful lacey lingerie on a college student budget!
Some unlined, cute styles are :
butterfly lace demi
lace underwire triangle
and eyelet wireless triangle
There are many other cute styles available as well, I think intimissimi.com has a better selection than vicky's. Even the lightly lined styles are really just lightly lined, not stiff and padded. I really enjoy them.
sybarite
Cheers crinoline! I actually picked up some Intermissimi when I was in Italy a few years ago and their stuff is lovely and often quite simple, which is what I prefer. Thanks for the reminder!
girltrouble
yay! i thought i was the only one who hated victoria's secret, crino! the only thing i buy there is stockings. but since we are on the topic of "intimates...."

i usually shop at nordstrom rack cos they usually have some super expensive, super cute stuff that's been marked down to less than 10 bucks, and when they start at over 80 for some panties, that's nothing to sneeze at. that's were i got these:

i also go to the discount stores frequently, you know, tjmaxxx, marshall's etc. their panties/bras are cheap. but i also go to department stores for garterbelts tho i rarely wear them as much as i used to, i just can't resist one that is fancy. like these by lejaby:

the name always makes me think of a woman who is now in control of her sexuality and is having fun...

i adore these by kiki monparnasse?, but they are too expensive:

those last ones are a pair of cashmere stockings with red backseams. i've had cashmere stockings, and they are dreamy... just as soft as you'd imagine. when i was a boy i'd say a good suit is like wearing pajamas all day. cashmere stockings are every bit as good.but those are too expensive... after all stockings (or socks as they call them) are disposable...
but i am in love with these:
highwaisted retro ruffle panties, but look at the buttons on the side... so f'ing cute. i think i might have some of these made for me. cos it'd be sooo much cheaper.

i also love lacey eberjay

i love cosabella anything... they are soooooo super soft.

*loses it* the cutest/sexiest boyshorts EVAH!
crinoline
gt- covet!! All of that is so cute, I especially love your top panty find and the lejaby garter belt! Have you ever heard of Damaris brand "knickers" (aka panties)? They are divine. I'll post some of my faves when I have more time.
mouse
oooh, underwear talk! syb, i've found nice things at http://www.barenecessities.com/. they have a good selection and search options. i'm quite small boobeh-wise so i like a bit of padding but i would imagine you could find something there.

i only really started buying nice lingerie this year. i was always a cheap & cotton girl, but now that i have a little disposable income i like having some really nice things (though i haven't had anyone to show them off to yet, goddammit). i find calvin klein to make really nice bras that always fit me well. i have small tits (juuuuuust barely a b cup) and a large ribcage, so it's hard to find something that isn't loose in the cups without digging into me, but i've always found ck bras to fit really nicely.

panties: i got these three styles (in black, white, and pink&black respectively) lately and am in love with em. super comfortable and pretty cheap for fancypanties.

i came in here to yell about some new vintage finds--my friend interns at the largest costume supplier on the west coast, and they had a huge sale this weekend of stuff they wanted to get rid of. i got:

--a very pretty beige cardigan with pink purple & yellow flowers
--grey & white vertical striped silk shirtdress
--a freaking adorable black & white gingham set--cap-sleeve dress with pencil-y skirt with little dart ruffles along the bottom, matching belt, and matching cropped jacket--tres sexy secretary
--a hot pink thigh-length classy lady coat, with four gold buttons kind of peacoat style, and matching belt

how much for all that? $30. oh yeah.
vixen_within
Oh damn, that's nice lingerie. GirlTrouble, you've outdone yourself in web shopping -- where did you find that last set (cashmere stockings with red back seams and garter) on that site?
I love boyshorts, but my boyfriend is all about the thong. What do you guys think of boyshort-thongs? Too much?
crinoline
Ok, underwear shopping time! I want (but can't afford) -
This cherry print suspender set
This eyelet corset set
This bra and ruffled brief
This french thong

and so much more... *sigh*

vixen- boyshort thongs = cute!
girltrouble
omg... crino... i love that cherry print garter belt... the bow absolutely sends me! i've been checking out agent p for a while, but their stuff is too expensive for me too, but god they are purty! and the french thong(!!!!!) i freaking lurve them. i do. god i want to buy them... crino, you just don't know....

and mouse, i am over the moon for the boy shorts you have-- the first two in particular, oh, my, yes!

and vixen, the red seamed cubans...$195.

cheaper (non-cashmere) red seamed cubans...$6.79

auralpoison
I love underpinings. There is something so subversive about wearing a t shirt, jeans, & sneakers with something delicate underneath. Your own little se(x)cret to be unwrapped by the right person.

I hate bows, though. I just bought a bunch of new pop-art frillies & cut the bow off of everyone.
queencutie
QUOTE(octobersky @ May 18 2008, 02:28 PM) *
I scored a pair of Seven jeans at TJ Maxx the other day. I now know what all the fuss is about. They fit my chunky hips and wide behind awesomely!! I was really shocked they actually make my size.

Sorry to bump up in here, but 7 jeans are the only ones that give me a butt!!!!! Not a super squishy thing that followes me around all day!!!!
crinoline
aural- yes! and I also love the *word* "underpinnings". It sounds so upper crust and subversively naughty.

O.M.G. ladies!
I found a BCBG outlet this weekend and went a little crazy.
I got two pairs of $150 BCBG Paris shoes for $19 each!! One is a teal d'orsay pump with alternating straps of patent and suede, the others are black patent pointy toe pumps with a little bow and leopard inset at the toe.
Those match my cap sleeve jersey leopard print wrap dress (drool).
I also got a silvery blue satin cocktail dress with a high standup collar (very 60s) that's very simple, a navy blue ruched and beaded halter cocktail dress that's tight and smokin' hot, and a black taffeta full skirted halter dress with little buttons down the front bodice and a lace waistband.

To top it off I got a green/blue print faux wrap top and a gorgeous cap sleeve velvet jacket (from $320 to $39)with silk pintuck detail and a sash.
I think my best deal (aside from the jacket) was the $280 dress (the navy one) I got for $29!!! I'm still in shock.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.