Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The Empress's New Clothes: The Apparel thread
The BUST Lounge > Forums > Absolutely Fad-ulous
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16
thirtiesgirl
I'd add ~ don't put it in the dryer. Hang dry it and it should be fine.
Queen Bull
QUOTE(girltrouble @ Aug 16 2008, 01:16 PM) *

so question: what are your favorite lingerie lines?
i like felina, cosabella, lejaby but i've found super cute camisoles by xoxo, rampage, and even old navy, although it's been years since then. they seem to have gone cotton simple.

i like fredericks of hollywoods stuff, as well as anthropologie's intimates. for more everyday, chillin in a tshirt type things, i absolutely love targets *tarjaaaay's* gilligan and omally line. i love that they have all cuts/styles up to a DDD i think? and cute panties to match! hooray for department stores. wink.gif

also, i found some cute stuff on this site. taht links to specific pics, but in searching around there are more.

<3's
crinoline
QB - I love everything that anthropologie carries, from lingerie to home decor. Their lingerie looks so sweet and comfy, but I've never bought any. Is it as cute irl as it is on-screen? And from fredericks, I've always wanted to try one of their affordable corsets, hmm...to-do list!
- (this is OT, but I'm having trouble understanding your profile "From" description)
Queen Bull
QUOTE(crinoline @ Aug 19 2008, 04:59 PM) *
QB - I love everything that anthropologie carries, from lingerie to home decor. Their lingerie looks so sweet and comfy, but I've never bought any. Is it as cute irl as it is on-screen? And from fredericks, I've always wanted to try one of their affordable corsets, hmm...to-do list!
- (this is OT, but I'm having trouble understanding your profile "From" description)

I KNOW-- their stuff is SOO cute. i actually think that it is just as cute no matter how you look at it. XD to do list indeed.

( i pm'd u about my location, just bc its off subject. smile.gif )
crinoline
Well ladies, we're coming up on autumn! Any fashion ideas for the new season?
I am absolutely drooling over a full (and I mean full) skirted trench, but I can't find one in my student price range. *cries*

What do y'all think of high waisted jeans/skirts? I love them, in a Katharine Hepburn, 1940s sort of way. BUT, I'm petite. Do y'all think that the high waisted look is okay for short people? Or is it just another tall people only trend?

anti-trend - a fashionista friend of mine just bought some latex leggings. For a large amount of money. I hate this trend, it's like a spotlight for imperfections. And since when is fetishwear okay for going to the mall?
bunnyb
crinoline, what about this? (topshop US launched today)
zoya
crinoline - I love those jeans. I don't think they're that high waisted - and sailor fronts are incredibly flattering. I'm short, and when I wear toursers like that, I don't hem them up, and wear heels with them. (not necessarily stilettoes or anything, just comfortable chunky heels or heeled boots) I do think that does help with flared out trousers like those.
lananans
I also say that high waisted jeans are a cool trend. Those looked VERY nice crinoline. And not to mention they are A LOT more comfortable than god damned low rise jeans *shudder*.

I'm addicted to Bluefly.com... I've never actually ordered anything from there, I'm mostly a compulsive browser, helped by the fact that they have little in my size (XL/16). However, I'm very tempted to splurge onthis dress.

I probably won't. I'm trying to scrimp and save so I can go to Scotland again in April. But oh, how I would like to.
shinyx3
i love the high waisted trouser jeans. i have been wearing them all summer!

lananas have you looked on overstock? you might find something similar and a little less pricey.

Here is one for instance.

lananans
Oh wow, thanks shiny! I'd never heard of that website before... now I am meticulously browsing through it... probably will end up buying something, haha.
thirtiesgirl
Just a kvetch: it pisses me off that places like Topshop and H&M don't carry plus sizes. H&M claims they do, but their size 16 is not a woman's 16 and cut to a different (i.e., smaller) model. I get all excited when I hear about these great Euro stores opening in the U.S. or launching U.S. websites...but then they can't do shit for me.
auralpoison
H&M says they carry the, fuck, I can't recall what it's called, plus Europe size. BUT. BUT. They are iffy on sizing, period. I used to rely on them for accessories only until I got a good look at things. I have several "average" size things that are def PLUS size, without the B.I.B. designation. I bought several things that were a size twelve that fit my size sixteen ass just perfectly. H&M, being kinda ghetto, you have to have some patience for. I dunno why they don't launch US websites, but I get what I can out of them.
lananans
H&M can be very very frustrating, I agree thirties. Their size sixteen is really more like a fourteen, and even then it varies. Sometimes their stuff fitsme really well, sometimes not at all.

I went into Topshop when I was in Glasgow and then just walked right out... the clothes didn't really appeal to me, and they looked REALLY tiny. Then I walked across the street and discovered Primark, which was like mecca.

bunnyb
QUOTE(lananans @ Sep 11 2008, 02:42 PM) *
I went into Topshop when I was in Glasgow and then just walked right out... the clothes didn't really appeal to me, and they looked REALLY tiny. Then I walked across the street and discovered Primark, which was like mecca.

I was in mecca today smile.gif. I bought a cute pair of distressed pvc ballet flats and a cute brown purse (yes, the one that's a knock-off of your topshop one, zoya unsure.gif). The lack of larger sizes annoys me greatly; I can find things to fit but there stock is very low in anything over a UK 12, even though there is a huge demand. Grrr.
thirtiesgirl
QUOTE(auralpoison @ Sep 11 2008, 12:24 AM) *
H&M says they carry the, fuck, I can't recall what it's called, plus Europe size. BUT. BUT. They are iffy on sizing, period. I used to rely on them for accessories only until I got a good look at things. I have several "average" size things that are def PLUS size, without the B.I.B. designation. I bought several things that were a size twelve that fit my size sixteen ass just perfectly. H&M, being kinda ghetto, you have to have some patience for. I dunno why they don't launch US websites, but I get what I can out of them.

All I can buy there (at least in US stores) is accessories. I don't fit any of their clothes. I know; I've tried. And it pisses me off because I can fit a size 16 in other stores (for example, Old Navy). My friend Kat, who wears larger sizes, spent 3 months in Norway 2 years ago and did lots of shopping at the Norweigan H&Ms (she said they were practically on every corner in Norway). She loved their larger sizes and seems convinced that the Euro stores cut their sizes differently than US stores. Then again, she has smaller boobs & torso/stomach area than I do, so that may be why she found things to fit her.

Anyway, enough complaints from me. I just received this sweater in the mail today, which I ordered from QVC, designed by Marc Bouwer, and I absolutely love it. It fits me perfectly and makes me look so good. I can wear it zipped up on it's own and look like a Bond girl, or wear it over a cute top. I ordered it in navy blue, which will go with so much in my wardrobe. I like it so well, I'm going to have to order another one in another color. I'm thinking of maybe ordering it in white, to go for that uber-mod Bond girl thing. (I'd order it in black, except that I already have at least 5 black sweaters.)
mouse
H&M sizing is fucked, never trust it. i've had 8s from there that fit, yet also found 12s that were too small. wtf?

i am coveting this sweater hardcore right now. i don't care that paris hilton wore it, i don't care that it's nearly $300, I WAAAAAANT IT. today i got to spend half my work day "shopping" (going into stores and discreetly photographing things for research) and we went to kitson, which normally i would never set foot in because inevitably i will find something i want that is way too much money. so of course, that is what happened. but damn, giraffe print light cashmere with perfect little red stitching details, casual and quirky and i lurve it. but alas, i cannot let myself spend that much money on a glorified cardigan. le sigh.
shinyx3
O.M.G. I was in Ross today and I found the most gorgeous clutch bag by Tommy Hilfiger. It was orig $255. i spotted it behind a rack of purses and loved it before i even picked it up. it was a soft to touch intense orange leather with a perfectly smooth finish and it had a lovely tortoise shell handle. Super sleek! It was $119. Not in my budget. *sigh*

Mouse i think the sweater if fab!
lananans
bunnyb - I am jealous, where I live there is no Primark-esque store. I do remember noticing that the bigger sizes weren't really widely available when I was there too.

I think we can all agree that H&M is messed up. Yet I still love their clothes.

The giraffe print sweater is nice, although I agree, not quite worth $300.

Yesterday I was walking downtown and passed by American Apparel. My first instinct was to beeline directly towards it, but at the last instant I convinced myself that no, I didn't need to go in there and spend money on tshirts and leggings and such, which I end up doing every single time, and I turned away at the last second. Anyone watching me must have thought I was losing my mind.
crazyoldcatlady
H&M can suck my left ovary. i wore a shirt today from them that i purposely bought 2 sizes larger, and it was still tight.

(...but the pattern was super cute tongue.gif )
crinoline
So I finally scored a pair of Joes Jeans "Petite Provocateur" in my size at my local consignment store (yay!). But I still have to hem two inches off (boo!).

I'm also trying to learn some couture sewing techniques so I can copy some of the latest fashions I've been drooling over but can't afford. *heads over to the crafty thread*
crinoline
I am in love with this Dress ! So much so that if I can find the right fabric and notions, I'm going to try and copy it in my size.

eta - this one too
thirtiesgirl
Soooo cute! I love those, crin. I wish I had a crafty bone in my body, but I really don't. Can't sew to save my life. I just don't have the patience for it.
LilPinkElectricChair
Has anyone else been to the topshop USA website yet? I'm so excited i can actually order things from them now! I found this dress that I really need in my life right now. It's very Andrew Sisters. Too bad I'm broke.

Green Tea Dress
lananans
crin - that tweed dress is to die for!

I bought a blue silky blouse from H&M yesterday, it comes down to mid-thigh so it's kind of like a dress, but I'll wear it with a pair of black pants that I also bought. -- Speaking of H&M sizes, the pants I tried on were a 16 and I could *just* get into them, but I fit into my gap 14 jeans with lots of room. Also, the top I tried on was a 14 - and usually I need to go a size up because I have broad shoulders and a big chest, but lo and behold this fit. H&M sizes are messed up.
designermedusa
My sister and I ordered two t-shirts and a bag from the U.S. TopShop website, and then they were giving away a free Kate Moss charity t-shirt. I was really excited when I first heard that they had a U.S. website, but it is really expensive. I saw a dress that I really like, but it's too pricey. I'm checking the website waiting for a sale, but that will probably take awhile. Am I too frugal or are the prices high?

I agree H&M sizes are really weird. I don't buy any clothing there without trying it on first. We don't have an H&M in Florida, so I only get to shop there when I travel.
auralpoison
Dude. The fuck is up with TopShop? When I lived abroad things were fairly cheap. The prices on the US shit is just ridiculous!
girltrouble
apparently since we're doing the bailout thingy they think we're all millionaires. hmph. i'm irked with topshop. i ordered this really amazing little skirt from them for a specific party, and when it arrived.... it was the wrong one. like not even close wrong. the customers service was crap, and they didn't want to just ship an new one, they said i would get a refund and could reorder it. well by the time the refund was approved, the skirt was sold out. top shop is poop.

ok, advise: i've been wanting this necklace for about half a year. it's $145, which is a lot since i'm on unemployment right now, but oh do i covet this motherfucker.
and here is a pop up so you can look at all the elements:triumph necklace

what do you think? should i get it?

and then there is the charm bracelet at $98.
i_am_jan
GT: The necklace is rad. Is that a dreamcatcher at the bottom? I would say, if you LOVE IT. and KNOW it'll be in regular rotation in your wardrobe, then GO. It's def. one of a kind?! (Personally, I like the charm bracelet even better.) At any rate, Little Tip: I ALWAYS. check Ebay first ~ just in case. You never know when someone bought one, decided they're not going to wear it, it's new, they need the cash, they only want half.

Speaking of ebay, I've been coveting the new neon Doc Martens. This is unrealistic, budgetwise. I have never in my life spent even $100 on shoes (pink collar ghetto gal here) and these criminals want $110.00, before taxes and shipping. I figured the closest I could come to these flourescent foot candies was buying a pair of $4.99 neon green bootlaces to string into my old, black 90's docs. However, I made sure to check Ebay first, where I found, and won, these: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...em=270277248265

How Polly Styrene circa 1979, right? I should have them in the mail tomorrow.
girltrouble
good lookin out, jan. i just checked teh ebays, and there are 3 of them... there's also an alternative charm bracelet that is completely different than the one below, but i like much better. i'm debating that one.

and it's not a dream catcher at the bottom, it's a scene of a guy riding a motorcycle w/a girl. yay sooo happy!

ETA:i got it. the other two were limited editions that aren't nearly as cool.

but here is the cool(er) bracelet i'm still debating:
mouse
gt, another suggestion--have you looked on etsy? you might be able to find something comparable, for a lot less, which also is a unique piece that only you have.

like these:

http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php?ref=s...ing_id=14064611

http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php?listing_id=14276786

http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php?ref=s...ing_id=14083972
girltrouble
i'll have to check that out, mouse. it's a great idea. ooooh! esp. for rings!!!

thing is, i think this might be the last gasp of my tomboy side, which i'm totally indulging in. so i'm looking for something that's a little tougher-- a little more of a rocker aesthetic. i usually don't care for charm bracelets, so this is an anomaly. who knows. i'm so freaking seasonal with the whole femme/soft butch thing.

this is clever:

lananans
Those are all really cool. Given the choice between them I don't know if I could decide.. although I am a sucker for hearts so I would probably go with that last one.

I found this dress on ebay, and I can't stop thinking I want to buy it, even though I probably wouldn't wear it very often. There's just something about it...
i_am_jan
That dress has class! I think it'd look fab on someone with a bunch o' tattoos ... to take the whole pattern thing to the edge.
lananans
I have no tattooos...
vixen_within
Lananans I'm sort of glad we don't wear the same size I might so scoop you on that dress. I love it!

It's true about the tattoos. Would look good with the right boots too.

I'm also liking the sprite heart charm bracelet. It reminds me of putting playing cards in the wheels of my pink bike so they make a clacking sound.
lananans
I'm thinking I'm going to pass on the dress... for now... and instead drool over things that are completely out of my reach so I won't be tempted.

Exhibit A

Exhibit B
sybarite
GT, that necklace is the business and I'm hazarding a guess that it's very you.

Lananans, you are cruel to tease with those marc jacobs shoes! *want*

I finally tried to add to my meagre autumn wardrobe and went shopping... only to find the shops full of dreary-ass sludge colours and ugly, shapeless knitwear. Where are all the cute, whimsical sweaters and cardigans I saw a month ago??
crinoline
I am loving the quirky jewelry! I want something for fall (necklace, probably) with kind of a steampunk / victorian feel. On a really long chain.

I went to the consignment shop with $100 in my hand and came out with:
An amazing baby pink (but not obnoxious) trench, with all sorts of tailoring detail (completely lined in pink) and fastening possibilities.
A silver silk charmeuse wrap top with a very 1930s neckline
Black silk velvet wide leg pants (also very 1930s)
Red button front sheer silk Trina Turk top with tie neck
Free People ballet neck long sleeved knit dress in burgundy
Baby blue Free People thermal with tiny ribbons and rosebuds printed on it
and my favorite, a stretch cotton shirtwaist pencil dress in a very subtle leopard print. It has a sharp collar, pleating detail on the front and 3/4 sleeves, and buttons all the way down, so the slit is adjustable.

Since i got my tortoiseshell glasses, I keep wearing leopard print, when I never have before!

I think my look for Fall will be "Sexy Secretary Applies to Law School"
shinyx3
wow! what great finds! we do not have any good consignment shops here. (very small town) and our thrift shops are pretty picked through.
lananans
Those are some great finds crinoline!

I went thrifting this morning, and I spent $30. I got:

Book - Candace Bushnell - "Four Blondes"
Book - Melinda Haynes - "Mother of Pearl"
One tweedy grey high waisted business looking skirt
One brown faux alligator print purse that's brown with gold detailing
One Black patent clutch with a long skinny strap that can be tucked in
A pyrex casserole dish
A black and white striped bloused I am contemplating wearing for halloween
A 100% Silk Holt Renfrew shee blouse with pockets on the front.

Great success!! I may go back tomorrow for a couple things I'm said I didn't pick up (A black and red printed skirt, as well as a brown secretary looking dress that I thought would be too big... but I could alter it...)
crinoline
so the boy told me that he wants to get me jewelry for our 4th anniversary (as usual). I asked for a vibrator, but then what would we tell our parents that he got me?

I showed him some jewelry by Michal Negrin that I just adore.
He said "No, I meant classy jewelry"
wtf? So after I'm done being offended by that, does anyone have any recs for "classy" ie plain gold/gemstone jewelry?

I'm thinking some gold or white gold dangly earrings of some variety.
mouse
sweet holy jesus, after this i don't think we ever need to be spammed again. we got it all in one go.

crin, tell your boy that if he wants to get you a meaningful present, he should get you SOMETHING YOU ACTUALLY LIKE. and since he won't get you what you really want, he should suck it up and acknowledge that anything that costs $600 qualifies as "classy jewelry". he's not giving it to your parents, he's giving it to you. if he's just getting something for show, why is he even asking you??
auralpoison
Word is bond, ma petite Souris.

I can get Crinoboy's trepidation, though. Boys as much as we love 'em are kinda not the best gift givers. Me da loved me mom a lot, but his gifts were *always* self-serving. He thought they were thoughtful & clever, but that's because they almost always addressed a perceived problem on his end. And when he tried to buy her jewelry? NIGHTMARE. The only taste he had was in his mouth, the poor sonofabitch.

I can say that that is one thing that is great about the HB. He learned pretty quickly that I wasn't the average girl & it was best to buy me things I like rather than the things he thinks I should like/that reflect positively on him. Until the recent pendant fiasco, but we talked tonight & things seem better.

When I dated the V so many years ago, he'd show up with dinner fixins' (Like Grade A stuff he'd kiped from his job) & second hand movies or CDs that he knew I didn't have/would like.

ETA in the boy world there is something to be said for status: "I bought MY girl THIS!."
shinyx3
crinoline
how about this artist? poppy
this artist is nice as well flora
this one? here

this is a great place to find lots of artists
resource
zizola
I totally agree with Auralpoison on Topshop. When I lived in England I shopped there constantly because it was one of the few places that had things that I could afford. These US prices are ridiculous! For example, I bought these Steve Madden shoes for around $90: imperealvs these shoes: topshopshoes at Topshop which retailed for $120. Isn't Topshop supposed to be like Etam or the british version of Wetseal?
auralpoison
I ordered this dress the other day because I lurve it. The gold just screams fall to me. But I dunno. My first instinct is to wear it with black tights & my black Fluevog boots, but a part of me wants to wear it with the same shoes, hunter green tights, big Tibetan silver statement jewelry, a hunter green pashmina shawl, & my black 3/4 sleeve Persian Mizrahi jacket with my elbow length black leather gloves. But that just sounds too matchy-matchy & like that weird stylist woman on Bravo. I am craving some fashion drama, some serious overkill here in the heart of frumpiness.
crinoline
AP- you're totally right that he could be worried about impressing people. He always freezes up with gifts, for some reason.
I love the idea of mixing in the green, not to mention some amazing gloves! And as Coco would say "In order to be irreplaceable, one must always be different."

Thanks for the recs, shiny! I've also been looking on Etsy (and Ive found some wonderful things )

mouse- thanks for the sympathy, I felt like I was overreacting to be offended by that.

I am having amazing fashion luck this fall. My fashionista friend came in town and gave me a bunch of the designer clothes she had in my size. So, added to the wardrobe are:
two Cosabella tanks (for liners)
A light, sort of minty blue chiffon and lace short sleeve blouse by Free People
A white voile Rebecca Taylor long sleeve blouse with gauze, lace, and pleated trim
An Ivory Victorian high-collar blouse with lace overlay on the bodice and sleeve by Free People
and, a ridiculously comfortable James Perse kelly green tissue tee with celtic print

now if only the boot fairy would show up...
thirtiesgirl
QUOTE(crinoline @ Oct 7 2008, 12:20 PM) *
so the boy told me that he wants to get me jewelry for our 4th anniversary (as usual). I asked for a vibrator, but then what would we tell our parents that he got me?

I showed him some jewelry by Michal Negrin that I just adore.
He said "No, I meant classy jewelry"
wtf? So after I'm done being offended by that, does anyone have any recs for "classy" ie plain gold/gemstone jewelry?

I'm thinking some gold or white gold dangly earrings of some variety.

I'd second mouse's words that you get something you like (and really want) for your anniversary. AP's right that some guys are rather clueless when it comes to gift giving, but I think it's valuable to be assertive with a guy about what you want and let him know that if making you happy is important to him, taking your suggestions when he asks what you'd like is important to you. ...And of course, being a '30sgirl, I'm a big Michael Negrin jewelry fan, so I'm always of the opinion that a girl can never have too much of his jewelry.

As an alternative suggestion, I've sometimes found pieces from the Xavier collection on HSN.com strike my fancy when it comes to turn-of-the-century and 1920s jewelry. They're all reproduction pieces, all done in Absolut (HSN's answer to faux diamonds and gemstones), and run the gamut from delicate to striking. I have several pieces from this collection, all of which I'm happy with. I've been eyeing this bracelet for a few months now, but haven't had the spare change to afford it yet. Maybe next paycheck.
auralpoison
Have I mentioned that I want to have Crino's intarwebs babies? Could you be anymore awesome?!

These are somewhere between my fave Fluevog boots & those Fendi boots, but much cheaper.

I am SOOOO loving the button details.

So the green wouldn't be bad then? Those are the fashion things I worry about as a grown-up. Back when I was seventeen & grunge was hip, I wore coloured tights with nary a blink. I want to do it now & look . . . I dunno . . . metropolitan? Like, "I just threw this on & am smokin' hawt". I don't want to look like I tried to hard. I don't want to be SitC's Carrie knockoff. I have to meet with my agent & some publishers in the city soon about a memoir & don't want to look afool. He's talking possible advance, so you know, best foot forward.

Talkin' HSN reminded me of this site. I don't much like gold & have issues with blood diamonds. These are the next best thing!
Perilous
Hi. Sorry to just jump in but does anybody know how J Crew shoes compare in size to other shoes? I wear a 9 in Kenneth Cole but an 11 in all running shoes. I have a couple of pair of J Crew shoes ending on EBay today and I was hoping to find out if they would actually fit me. Thanks for your help.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.