Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The New Lounge -- Problems, Suggestions & Stuff
The BUST Lounge > From the Top > Ladies Who Lounge
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
LoungeLady
Hey ladies!

We've been getting those weird errors too, and we're letting our server company know. sleep.gif Hopefully we can figure out what the problem is...
pherber
I used to get the same error messages as damona. (Server has timed out)
But it was only around late May, early June.
I wanted to post about it, but couldn't, so after several tries, I gave up.
Now, it seems to be fine...
auralpoison
I have a "-1 new messages". That's weird.
LoungeLady
We have -68 messages. I wish I could tell you why. When I took over LL duties, however, we had -70, so it seems to go up (or down in absolute value) when new messages arrive. Totally bizarre. wacko.gif
pherber
huh.gif
I've had -2 new messages, ever since I returned in March, but I've had no new messages, since last year, so I always thought old ones got deleted because of some technical quirk...
auralpoison
Huh. And here I thought my mailbox was just mocking me for being unpopular. That's just downright strange.
sixelacat
Funny, I thought it happened when somebody sent you a PM and then took it back/deleted it before you read/deleted it yourself. No?

Oh, and AP, the coolest kids are NEVER popular with EVERYONE, that's why they're cool! laugh.gif
LoungeLady
Ooh, that would make sense and mean negative messages have some utility. Wonder why we have so many negative messages if that's the case...

QUOTE(sixelacat @ Jun 9 2008, 07:00 PM) *
Funny, I thought it happened when somebody sent you a PM and then took it back/deleted it before you read/deleted it yourself. No?

Oh, and AP, the coolest kids are NEVER popular with EVERYONE, that's why they're cool! laugh.gif
kittenb
I was wondering if there was some way to stick the "Survivors Space" thread so that it doesn't fall off the "F" Word page. It doesn't always get a lot of traffic but I am afraid someone will need it they won't know how to find it.
Thanks.
LoungeLady
Done
LoungeLady
Oh...general FYI...I'm in the office Monday thru Wednesday, so that is when I'll mostly be around to answer questions/look into requests. wink.gif

ETA: Though maybe other interns/staffers might chill on the Lounge when I'm not around? *shrug*
kittenb
Thank you!
roseviolet
LL, as you may have noticed, we got a troll infestation over the weekend! There are 3 different names.
DustBuster
Filibuster
MissLips

Please make sure that you delete ALL of the posts made by this person. Just deleting them as a member isn't good enough (because that makes it impossible for us to add them onto our Ignored Users list). Looks like you've got quite a job ahead of you, but we'll appreciate you forever for doing it well!!!
LoungeLady
FYI to all: I am in the process of dealing with the problem.

I'm actually home and sick, so apologies if I'm late to respond.
culturehandy
LL thank you so much for taking the time to inform us you are actaully doing something about the problem. I can see that you've started to delete the posts.

Props to the new LL for doing something about this and not ignoring the problem.
auralpoison
Word. We appreciate your efforts to clean this up, LL. That fuckstick will make your gig hell sometimes.

And LL? Make sure you get your fluids/rest so you don't run yourself down. A summer sickness is teh suck.
pollystyrene
I think I mentioned this in another thread (maybe the Community thread), but I asked the LL if it was possible to disable the comments and friends list feature, since apparently you can't block people from commenting/adding you to their list...she said she hasn't been able to locate that option...I know there's some Busties out there who have some experience with this software- does anyone know if this option?

Feel better, LL- thanks for helping on your sick day!

Grr...got the "Service Temporarily Unavailable" message when I tried to post this the first time!!
mornington
thank you LL! you've been doing such a great job - sending get well thoughts your way and hope you feel better soon!
girltrouble
to require friend/comment approval:
underneath the ladies in the upper left corner, you'll see your name underlined. click it.
on the next page you'll see your name.
under that you'll see a bunch of tabs. topics, posts, etc. at the end is settings. click it.

you can change most settings from here.

scroll down to moderation options. the links in that area are what you are looking for.

change both of them to 'enabled- add only when i aprove.

then you are done!

LoungeLady
What I gather from pollystyrene's PM is that she means is there any way to disable that option completely so that you do not get ten-billionty messages asking you to approve a troll's comment or friend request.

Though GT's message is helpful too. I just noticed that the troll put a bunch of comments on the LL profile. Ugh.

ETA: Thank you for all the well wishes. ^^
pollystyrene
Right, LL- I should have clarified- even with the "must approve" setting on comments and friends list, the troll (or anyone) can still add the comments; I think they just can't be seen by anyone but you until you approve them. You still have to go through, not only delete every comment, but delete every approval request for a comment and friend from your inbox. It's a big PITA.

Personally, I would prefer to completely eliminate the features- I think they're useless on Bust. I think anyone who's looking for that sort of thing has a MySpace account.
girltrouble
unless you select email notification, you'll never know about the requests unless you go to that page. i didn't notice that steve tried to post stuff in my profile, till months after he did. but because i had it set for approval, none of them ever appeared.

it's as good as it being disabled, since you have to go specifically to the approval page to see it. it's completely intrusive.

can i ask a question? is there more than one intern acting as the LL?
pherber
Hey thanks LL!
And get well wishes from me, too! smile.gif

I could hardly post anything in the last days, because of the "service unavailable" message, no surprise when steve floods the board with 300+ posts.

And just wondering, how is it technically even possible to post 25 times in one minute??

I agree with polly on the comment/friend thing, but then again, I don't have any friends anyways, so maybe a poll is really a good idea, people with friends'n comments might not want to get rid of it.

Btw, I'm not frustrated with having no friends, I never bothered with that, because like polly said, most of us have a myspace, and the one really good thing about myspace are the advanced spam/privacy settings.
LoungeLady
As soon as I figure out whether I can delete those features (it would be really dumb if I can't--looking into it but the admin cp is just really non-user-friendly and confusing), I'll talk to the powers that be and see if I can run a poll about getting rid of them.

On a similar note, I'll see if it's possible to set a post-per-time limit and then possibly do a poll for that too. Though I'm not sure how much that would help. If you're posting that obscenely large a number of posts, you've got to be using a bot. That's just too insane.

QUOTE(pherber @ Jun 24 2008, 03:10 AM) *
Hey thanks LL!
And get well wishes from me, too! smile.gif
I could hardly post anything in the last days, because of the "service unavailable" message, no surprise when steve floods the board with 300+ posts.

And just wondering, how is it technically even possible to post 25 times in one minute??

I agree with polly on the comment/friend thing, but then again, I don't have any friends anyways, so maybe a poll is really a good idea, people with friends'n comments might not want to get rid of it.

Btw, I'm not frustrated with having no friends, I never bothered with that, because like polly said, most of us have a myspace, and the one really good thing about myspace are the advanced spam/privacy settings.

girltrouble
meh. i like having the profiles. to me it's kind of sweet. when we first got them i'd post goofy little comments on people's pages, then months later i'd get a pm thank you. i use the friend function to send pms to people who haven't posted in a while. i think it has value, but then, i hate myspace, and haven't looked at my page for atleast a year. i don't work in an office so, i don't have hours of time to waste surfing the net...
if you don't use it, it's unobtrusive, if you do it's kinda nice.
LoungeLady
I scoured the admin cp, and I don't see any way to disable the features anyway. wacko.gif

~ LL Lysa
Kpasa
I haven't had enough time to honestly investigate my question, so forgive me, but:

Is there any way to view the forums and the threads by the first post in the thread descending down the page and starting with the next chronological post at the top of the next page?

I'm reading the huge long threads and its pretty taxing keeping up with which forum view is which when I want to read all the responses from all the posters in the thread.
pollystyrene
QUOTE(retro kitten @ May 18 2008, 08:42 AM) *
how do I get the posts in each thread to display from oldest to newest? at the moment it's a bit confusing reading from newest to oldest.

thanks. smile.gif

QUOTE(pollystyrene @ May 18 2008, 10:05 AM) *
You don't. The mob has spoken, and that's what we chose. Sorry.

Kpasa
sad.gif
LoungeLady
Don't worry! You get used to it. happy.gif Just takes a little while.

~ LL Lysa
girltrouble
i'm afraid LLL is right kpasa. it seems freaky at first, but after a while all the other fora seem backwords. but it's like that for a reason. we rarely start threads in the lounge, rather we have overarching topics, and we post in those, since the lounge is largely self modded. so where other threads on other forums may go on for say 5 pages, or 11 pages, we have ones that go on for say, 290 or 1072... usually you don't need to go back more than 1 or two pages, since there are lots of digressions.

do give it a sec, start with the newbies thread, and then just kind of lurk. you'll get a sense of who people are and how things work in the lounge, which is a good thing. people who just jump in often get in trouble, so take your time, k?
LoungeLady
Hey, everybody... this isn't related to problems or suggestions, but it is "stuff."

The LL account has finally broken the 3-digit mark in posts! ohmy.gif (Only took us several years?) Yay!

~ LL Lysa
culturehandy
LL mostly by your doing!! YAY!!!

a little OT, but how are you doing? You were kind of in a funk earlier this week...
LoungeLady
I think I'm healing, even if part of me doesn't want to. Does that make sense?

I didn't want to post about my issues on the board, mostly since I feel uncomfortable doing that on the admin account. But I just made myself a separate account because there is one thread I do want to post in. It might explain a little bit...

~ LL Lysa
LoungeLady
Hmmm, clarification: For the rest of the summer, I'm going to stick to this account unless there is something I think would be toootally inappropriate to post on the official account (or I get excited about single word association and forget to switch back to LL). LL needs as much visibility as she can get. Plus, I want to stay on top of PMs and such.

I'll move over to my personal account once I've been relieved of official LL duties. That account's profile has more info and stuffs on me too, since I don't want to change too many settings on the official account.

Just didn't want people to get confused with my being in two places at once. blink.gif

~ LL Lysa
LoungeLady
Posted for my own reference:

IPS Driver Error
There appears to be an error with the database.
You can try to refresh the page by clicking here
kissmeducky
I'm wondering why we can't search for things that are less than 4 characters. For example, if I try searching for "Sex and the City" I get the error message that one or more of my keywords was less than 4 characters. What am I supposed to do? Search for City and hope it leads me to a discussion about the show?
culturehandy
I'm trying to upload a new avi but I keep on getting an error message saying it wasn't able to upload...

or if I try to load directly from the web, it says the file name is invalid.
pollystyrene
I think I was having the same problem trying to upload a profile photo (per GT's request the sock monkey will be back!)...I tried all the tricks (running it through Photoshop ImageReady- for some reason that always worked)

Also, do we have to use a URL for the picture or can it be a file on the computer?
girltrouble
yay for sock munky! *does a faerie toast flip*

yeah it seems none of the info on the profile page works. none of the threads they've started, none of their posts, etc, etc...

ach! ist der poopenstein!
treehugger
Actually, I am WAY late in responding to this...I just read the questions from the newbies who are having trouble with the "backwards" order our pages go...

I found this out when I was having serious internet connectivity issues. It'd work for reading a large thread start to finish, if you aren't intending to post....check out at the bottom of the page and click "lo-fi Version". You can't post under that format, but you'll be able to read all the posts from start to finish.
tesao
cool! treehugger, i never knew that! muito thank you!
sidecar
I also have to log in every time I visit the site. I've saved my username and password in my browser and asked the site to remember me, but it doesn't. I'm using Firefox 3.
bunnyb
I was unable to access the lounge between Friday and Sunday (late pm, UK time) and thought the lounge was down until I tried again last night and saw that other people had been able to log on and post. The page would not load and I'm using a Mac and Firefox 3.0.
girltrouble
hey sidecar, pepper was saying the same thing here about having to log on a lot, do you have the lounge open in more than one tab or window? i was having the same problem, and i think that might be the thing...
pollystyrene
I'm having the log-in problem, too, but only at work. At home, I'm on a Mac, using Firefox 2.0. At work, I'm on a PC, using Internet Explorer 7.0.

Every other website that I log into at work, whether it's just when I open the browser in the morning or if I open a new tab, it automatically logs me in. With Bust, I always have to log in. Now, once I start typing, it fills in my name and password, but it won't just keep me logged in like it does with other websites or at home. Even if I'm already logged into Bust, and open another tab and pull it up there, it still doesn't remember me.

That makes me think it's the site, combined with my browser and not just my browser settings. The weird thing is that it must *sort of* remember me because if I log in by clicking on "Log In" rather than just using the username/password fields on the main Lounge page, it switches to work-safe made when it goes to the next page where I enter my username & password.

It doesn't bother me that much, but I just wanted to let someone know about the bugs.
candycane_girl
The background is no longer changing. I kind of liked the different backgrounds because now it's just black with horizontal stripes. wtf?
vixen_within
hah, I came all the way to this thread because I was about to say that I really like the changing backgrounds. I guess I'm a little out of date.
tesao
i'm with the two of you, i was surprised at first by the changing backgrounds, but i miss them! especially the SKULLS! these lines are just plain boring.
pepper
hey, i know this is small but... there is no embarassed emoticon. you'd think that one would be there, i mean we do dumb stuff in here enough times or report dumb stuff we've done somewhere else. i was just looking for one, without it a reply i was making didn't work at all. i ended up saying nothing. *insert embarassed face here*.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.