Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Pip Pip Old Chap! It's The Uk Bustie Thread.
The BUST Lounge > Forums > Friends and Family
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
mornington
I'm so going to be there. yaaaaay!
Owl_Gang_Girl
Awww I wanna be in Glasgow too. I haven't been in so long. I swore I'd move there but never have and now my stinkin' boyfriend (not really I loves him) says he wants to move to England so it might never be. Woe is me.
Uk/Scottish love to all.
zoya
... come down sometime owl gang girl, and get your drink on with us...

QUOTE(Owl_Gang_Girl @ Jan 23 2008, 08:17 AM) *
Awww I wanna be in Glasgow too. I haven't been in so long. I swore I'd move there but never have and now my stinkin' boyfriend (not really I loves him) says he wants to move to England so it might never be. Woe is me.
Uk/Scottish love to all.

sybarite
An alcoholic bustie meetup in Glasgow=the best idea ever. I would love to come but am swamped time-wise this spring... still, keep me posted on dates, you never know.

I know: I'm a lame-ass tease. I'll get over again sometime soon, honest!
zoya
come whenever you want!!! ps - i finally emailed you..
Owl_Gang_Girl
Waaaah! I'd love a boozie busty weekend withsome crazy strangers!! Looks like I'll need to leave my beloved Scotland sooner than I thought due to mental ex-wife issues (ruh roh) now I need to find a new city and a new college to carry on my vet nurse training. SCARED!
mornington
owl gang, where are you?

okies, i have a race on the 17th of this month, but I'm free for drinks every other weekend until mid-march. When's good for you guys?
Owl_Gang_Girl
I'm in Aberdeen. No sheep shaggin jokes please!
auralpoison
It doesn't look like I can be there until the end of Feb/early March. How does that work for ya'll? I really, really, REALLY want to see ya'll. I want to party like it's 1999 with Zoya & BunnyB & anybody else I can finnagle into showing up.
zoya
QUOTE(auralpoison @ Feb 6 2008, 12:12 PM) *
It doesn't look like I can be there until the end of Feb/early March. How does that work for ya'll? I really, really, REALLY want to see ya'll. I want to party like it's 1999 with Zoya & BunnyB & anybody else I can finnagle into showing up.

four words: Second Weekend of March!!! about the 5th thru the 12th are the perfect dates for me and mornington is already planning on coming up that weekend ...

bunnyb
Those dates are fine with me so just get your arses here tongue.gif.
mornington
yes - I'm going to book my tickets in a few days! AP, would be great if you could come!

mm, aberdeen. at least it's not aberystwyth, and then I will make sheep-shagging jokes. and i'm allowed to, 'cos the fambly is welsh...
zoya
ok AP... are you coming over or what??
missladyj
I have a question for you UK busties I hope you may be able to answer.

I am looking at an EDd. program through the University of London Institute of Education that would allow me to come to London for the summer and do work on line during the school year.

Has anyone had any experiences with this University? If I were to come for the summer where would be the best place to stay in relation to the University? I took a class at Appalachian State University , this tiny college in Boone , North Carolina with a professor from there who was awesome in a very uptight Brittish academic way. He is a leader in the field that I am interested in. Dr. David Buckingham .

I'd appreciate hearing about any info or experiences you have had with this institution. Thanks ladies!
have a good time, do a shot of vodka for missladyj!
mornington
missladyj, the university of london is an umbrella university that covers maude-knows how many individual universities, but I've found the IoE's website, and they're located near UCL (university college london), which is pretty central and near UL's student union and main library. I think i've heard of it, but if it's part of UL it's pretty reputable as it is.

as far as accomodation goes, some of the halls (dorms, I think is the best alternative) offer summer-only accomodation, and IoE will be able to tell you where does that. As you're centrally located, it's really easy to get to, so you could always find a short-term room. You'll almost certainly have to get a bus or the tube in, but it's about a five minute walk from about three tube stops... hope that helps.
starship
missladyj, I dont have much knowledge of the IoE but I do study at one of the University of London institutions so just thought Id tell you that my experiences there have been all positive smile.gif. They usually have great rescources and if theres something else you need then you have access to the other universities of London or the central library like mornington said. My particular university offers summer accomodation for international students which is usually on the actual campus or very near by and I imagine the IoE would do similar. If you have to find your own accomodation then Id probably recommend renting somewhere more outside of central london; it will cost a lot less and the tube system isnt too bad so any journey to the uni would be quite quick and simple. Sorry I dont know more about the actual institution youre interested in but London's a great & diverse place to be though so Im sure youll have an amazing experience regardless smile.gif
zoya
mornington... I emailed you a couple days ago...

are you still coming up??

I hope so!!

bunnyb
I PMd you too, morn.
auralpoison
OMG! That's perfect! I gotta deal with tax shit & a whole bunch of other stuff, but after that I should be golden. I can do that!
mornington
zoya - i got your email, but didn't have time to write a decent reply; yes, I'm still planning on coming up. Was going to ask if I could bring a sleeping bag and crash on your floor? It will be either the 7th or the 8th, still don't know which but prob coming up on the sat. morning. Boy Wonder is being fucked around by his course and they won't tell him which day he's doing a particular job. Oh, the drama.

sorry about my lack of communication with everyone, it's coursework-a-rama here. busybusybusy.
zoya
mornington -

duh.... of course I planned on you staying here! and you don't have to bring a sleeping bag! (unless you want to....) but I do have a couple of air mattresses AND a couch too! so um, yeah. there are plenty of places for you (and .. ahem, others wink.gif ) to sleep! give me a call or text or email and let me know the plan, and we can work out the details on this end!

hang in there!!

xoxoxo
mornington
so... I'm going to be descending on bunny and zoya from the friday to the sunday. who's with me? tongue.gif
lananans
I'm going to Glasgow for two weeks in May! I'll be travelling around as well, I just don't know where to start planning... I've never actually gone overseas before, and I can't do anything too crazy because my Granny is coming with me. (although she is only 68 and I expect I will have trouble keeping up with her and not vice versa). Its just really overwhelming trying to plan things right now. Any tips?
bunnyb
Oh my God, lananans, I can so give you tips! As can sybarite and zoya (both have lived/live there as do I) and mornington who has visited. Whereabouts are you staying? with family or in a hotel? Basically everywhere in Scotland is accessible relatively quickly by train (50 minutes to Edinburgh) so the travelling around will be easy enough.

Any questions, just ask. What do you and your Granny like to do? what do you want to do/see/experience/eat? I can give you so many varied recommendations!
lananans
My Granny actually grew up in Glasgow, so we're staying with her best friend and visiting her cousins there, so that's covered. I have heard that its accessible I just need to find out what some good day trips are, because that is what my granny thinks we should do. She wants to have a tour of Edinburgh because then we'll see everything/know what to look at etc etc and we want to go to the Highlands and she said something about the Hebrides and the Orkneys... what else.... anything cool that you can think of that i should do?? We're also going to Ireland for a few days but I've got that part covered. Thanks for your input!
mornington
*bump*

Ok, quick role call for London/near London/could come to London with a bit of forewarning?

zoya
me, but you know that... smile.gif x
bunnyb
You know about me too!

Oh, and I am holding sybarite to saying that she'd come over for a city-warming! fina has moved near to London too and is up for getting together too.
sybarite
Maybe sometime in December....?
bunnyb
That's when zoya was talking about maybe coming down...
sybarite
Actually, January might work better as I've booked a post-deadline week in the Canaries in November to prevent any instance of SAD brought on by 10 months of rain... I know it's far in advance, I can do either Glesgie or London if it helps? Let me know and I'll finally get myself over there...
thepointybird
I'm in Brighton so can be in London at any time! (Except over Christmas when I decamp to see the family in Belfast...)
bunnyb
hey pointybird!

We should probably have it in London post-Christmas to ensure maximum attendance wink.gif. It's the boy's birthday on the 23rd so we'll probably be going home to Glasgow but any other weekend in January and I'll be there.
thepointybird
QUOTE(bunnyb @ Sep 17 2008, 12:01 PM) *
hey pointybird!

We should probably have it in London post-Christmas to ensure maximum attendance wink.gif. It's the boy's birthday on the 23rd so we'll probably be going home to Glasgow but any other weekend in January and I'll be there.

I'm up for that!

I love Glasgow, haven't been up in a coupla years though, sigh!
Persiflager
Good afternoon! Thought I'd introduce myself....

*waves a big hello and offers round a plate of ginger biscuits*

I'm 26, have been living in London for about 6 months and I work in Canary Wharf so have considerably less job security than a few weeks ago sad.gif. Still, am always up for London fun. Is your get-together open to newbies who have recently come out of the lurking closet?

*waves goodbye and scoffs the remaining biscuits*
thepointybird
Hey Persiflager, I'm sure you'd be very welcome to come along! Keep your chin up about the job situ too, my friend just lost his job at Lehman Bros so I've heard how bad things are for you guys. Still, welcome to the thread, and cheers for the ginger snap!
bunnyb
Dark times are upon us! Great timing to move to London without a job.

Due to the credit crunch a lot of restaurants are offering promotional vouchers (2 for 1 mainly) so check out the websites for Yo Sushi, Pizza Express, Wagamama, Giraffe, Strada, La Tasca, if you're interested. Also, if you buy The Guardian this Friday and next there's a voucher for a free Starbucks (valid on the Friday only).
Melanielouise
I will be hunting down the paper for that Starbucks believe me! Thanks for the heads up.

I am new to the forum and I live in North London. My name is Melanie hello everyone!!!
zoya
hey bunny -

I looked on those websites, but didn't see anything about 2 for 1's or the ilk.... do you have any specific urls or places on the websites they are?

I just may have to get the guardian on Friday..

yay for the credit crunch! cheap nights out!!

....and as far as specials go - one of the best things about the UK - the Cineworld unlimited card. There is no such thing as an unlimited cinema card in the US, and I LOVE it!

bunnyb
I forwarded on email with links to vouchers.
Melanielouise
Could I get this email?? mellow.gif pleeaaaase?
bunnyb
sure! PM me your email address and I'll forward it on.
mornington
bun, could you email them to me too? I keep forgetting to ask! smile.gif

zoya, on that, I heart the Prince Charles Cinema membership. It's not unlimited, but it's only a couple of quid to see a film that usually costs more than a tenner.

Hi melanielouise!
bunnyb
The more the merrier!

So, are we thinking January? although there's nothing stopping the London BUSTies meeting up before the UK ones... I'm new to the city so don't know many people, except for the lovely mornington and a couple of other people!
sybarite
Um, new plan for me... I'm looking at a conference in London in March, so if I go to that I won't be able to do January. If I decide not to go to that I should be able to get there sooner. blink.gif

In a nutshell: don't wait for me to get there, but I am planning a trip soon, and the conference would be the perfect opportunity.

Carry on. smile.gif
vacanthippy
Hello there.

I haven't been about in bustie land for a bit, but I'm also a recent mover to London so would love to come along to any meetup, whenever it happens - January sounds like a plan, good antidote to the cold and dampness. smile.gif
Persiflager
Ooh ooh ooh! Bust Craftacular in London on December 6th near Euston! Anyone else interested?

I am very very excited!
mornington
I am!

I'm going to suggest a mini meet-up for those in the area... (or who want to be in the area)
bunnyb
I'm working. Grrr.
zoya
I'm working 5th and 7th, so no going down to London for me... Oh, and btw Bunny and Morn, you'll be proud of me - I'm taking a writing workshop on the 6th!!!!

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.