Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Halloween!
The BUST Lounge > Forums > Absolutely Fad-ulous
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
auralpoison
QUOTE(roquelaure @ Oct 21 2008, 12:29 AM) *
this conversation reminds me of the halloween party scene in Mean Girls!

i'm going on a Zombie Walk, but i don't want to just go as myself as a zombie. i too have always been anti-sex costume, so i think i'm going to stereotypically sex myself up, then completely destroy the effect and cover it in fake blood, maybe make some intestines to hang out from under the top, black out a few teeth, drool a lot, gnaw on a gummi brain...

now i'm singing "let's bring unsexy back *dun dun dun* you muthaf*ckers don't know how to act..."

I like this artist a lot, perhaps it will give you inspiration.
roquelaure

*jaw drop*

i NEEEEEEED that.

lilacwine13
Wow, with the talk about unsexy costumes, I feel a little guilty coming in here and talking about what I've decided on.

I think I'm going to be Joan Holloway from Mad Men. I've got the attitude down, now all I need is some retro clothes, a padded bra and a way to do my hair, which is chin length and brown. I'm willing to dye it red, my bangs can be styled to be like hers, but I'm not sure how to do the rest.

Hm, maybe I should just settle on being Peggy Olson or a random secretary from that show.
mouse
i'm kind of entertaining the idea of just going all out in dia de los muertos makeup like a sylvia ji painting...
treehugger
QUOTE(mouse @ Oct 23 2008, 01:44 AM) *
i'm kind of entertaining the idea of just going all out in dia de los muertos makeup like a sylvia ji painting...

Me too, Mouse!!!! I'm thinking of doing that for Freakfest.
culturehandy
I know this isn't so much about costumes, but here is a site full of links all about carving pumpkins. It's really neato to see what some people can do.
octobersky
I love this site for carving patterns pumpkins!!!
Can't wait to carve pumpkins this weekend! So excited rolleyes.gif
geekchickknits
I'm going to be Hilary Clinton. I got my costume on the weekend. It's gonna be awesome. Although, I couldn't find a good pantsuit, so I went with a skirt suit. So I'm Sexy Hilary Clinton. tongue.gif
LustfullyPink
I really loved the idea someone posted awhile back about being the mortons salt girl! I decided that since everyone else was having a lot of trouble getting a yellow dress that I would just make one. It turned out really well, and my gramma had some ballet flats that fit it perfectly, same color and style, so I am wearing those too. Then I took two coffee cans, taped them together, put some blue posterboard around them, and printed out a picture of the morton salt label and glued that on there. I'm gonna use that as a purse/candy receptacle. It's gonna be so cute! I'll post pictures of the finished product! smile.gif Thanks so much to whomevers idea that was, you're a genius!
erinjane
I had every intention of thinking of a great costume this year, but as usual, Halloween is a few days away and I didn't give myself any time to think of a costume. Now I feel too tired to think of something...it's not even a matter of putting it together, just thinking of something new.

So I got lazy and browsed the archives. I'm not sure who the first one to post about this was, but I think I'll probably go as a freudian slip. I have a nice slip dress to wear already so I wouldn't need to do much except make a sash or something that says, "Freud"...
mouse
omg sexy hilary clinton is HILARIOUS. especially because YOU KNOW seventy billion people will be going as undead sarah palin or whatever.

erin, one of my friends was a freudian slip last year....she went really low-maintenance and just printed out a picture of freud and pinned it to her slip. i think as accessories you should carry around a banana and a cigar tongue.gif

SO GUYS OMG I FIGURED OUT WHAT I AM GOING TO BE!!! i'm so excited because i usually never think of a good costume and always end up pulling some lame thing together at the last minute. but not this year! i was helping volunteer clean out a thriftstore the other weekend and we were allowed to keep some stuff we found; i found a pair of scrubs and figured hey, i'll go as a surgeon, it's easy and it'll let me go crazy with the fake blood. but later on i had a brainwave--i'm going to go as a surgeon who attempted operating on herself!!! i don't know if any of you have read "geek love" but the scene where it's retold that dr. p as a young medical student performed an operation on herself and only had to call an ambulance because she was too tired to stitch up the (perfectly done) procedure has always creeped me out.

so yeah! i'm going to make fake intestines by stuffing pantyhose and sewing/drawing veins strategically and then sewing it to a tank top. then i will cut a large slit or hole in the scrub top over it, and let the guts hang out. plus of course liberal use of fake bllood all over--draining out my mouth too, plus gory dead makeup.

I LOVE IT
erinjane
The more I think about it, the more I'm getting into the costume actually. I like your idea's for accessories. There's a party going on with some of my former women's studies classmates and if I get to go they'd actually think that was pretty good...we did a lot of work with psychoanalytic feminism and analyzing freud's theories. tongue.gif
pollystyrene
Today, I thought of a great couples costume- Harold and Maude.

Get a brown suit from the 70's, fake knife or noose for LeBoy. Get myself a old lady dress and a wool coat, bright yellow umbrella. Maybe a big keyring full of keys.

Too bad we have no real plans for this year.

Ha, in doing my search for some ideas for Maude's outfit, I found some parents who really know how to dress up their kids. Awesome. I love people who actually do creative costumes for their kids.

Mouse, I haven't read Geek Love, but that sounds like a great costume- you must post pics.
crazyoldcatlady
niiiiiiiice, mouse. my professional opinion is that your intestines look hella real wink.gif
auralpoison
Mouse, I'm ripping off your initial costume idea of going as Dia de la Muerta.

That being said, your actual costume looks hella dope.
stargazer
OMG. mouse, that is the best costume ever. you are so creative. i'm hella jealous. i can really appreciate a costume where there is originality and some thought. good for you.
erinjane
Mouse, that's so awesome. I may have to steal that for next year.

Originally I was going to get a sash and write "Freud" across it, but now I've gotten some stickers and I made a whole bunch that say things like id, ego, super ego, phallis, penis envy, oedipal complex, etc. I'm just going to stick them all over my slip dress and then carry around a few of the props. Now I'm excited for Friday!

I also picked up some pumpkins yesterday so I'm going to try and carve them tonight. Personally I love the classic pumpkin face look and I'm not artistic enough to do an elaborate carving.
purplestain
QUOTE(mouse @ Oct 29 2008, 01:23 AM) *
SO EXCITED ABOUT THIS COSTUME!

So I guess you're going as Sexy Disemboweled?
roquelaure
mouse- that is freaking AWESOME. i *love* geek love, i never would have thought of that in a million years! i love literary reference costumes, especially somewhat obscure ones.

QUOTE(pollystyrene @ Oct 28 2008, 11:19 PM) *
I found some parents who really know how to dress up their kids. Awesome. I love people who actually do creative costumes for their kids.

last year my friends dressed their three month old up in a donkey costume. his name is jack. when people asked who or what character he was, they said "None. he's just a Jackass". so, so wrong, but so freaking funny.

everyone backed out of the zombie walk at the last minute mad.gif now i'm supposed to go out on Saturday and have no clue what to do since everyone and their mom will be wearing their leftover zombie costumes. i don't have time to make anything awesome. maybe i'll just pin a piece of paper ripped out of a notebook to my shirt and write "Idaho" on it a la Ralph Wiggum.
thirtiesgirl
Absolutely great costume ideas, peeps. Mouse, love the intestines. Love the Hillary Clinton idea and Freudian slip, too. I'll share a similar idea that my friend Beth did years ago. We worked record store retail back in the early '90s when we were putting ourselves through college. This was back in the day when record stores had obvious security tags on CDs - that rectangular white sticker with two silver magnetic dots on it that would set off the security beeper if it wasn't deactivated before someone left the store with the item. So for the yearly record store Halloween costume contest, Beth went as a security tag one year. She took a big white pillow case, cut a slit in the top for her head, slits in the sides for her arms, and painted silver dots on the back and front. The funniest thing was, she stuck an actual security tag on the inside of her pillow case, so when she walked through the security sensors, they went off. Fortunately, she didn't do that all evening, just once or twice for the effect. But it was hilarious.

I'm sad because I can't think of anything to do for Halloween, aside from a fetishy Halloween party that I sometimes attend when I run out of ideas. If I go to that, I'll sex up the costume a little...but I'm not really in the mood to go on my own this year and get hit on by drunk guys looking for casual sex. Bleah. Gotta find something else to do....
mouse
eeeee thanks guys! cocl your professional estimation of my guts is very flattering. and yeah, totally sexy disemboweled...that's why i'm not wearing pants in the first photos! wink.gif

erin your costume sounds great. ap, i love the dia de los muertos makeup! that will be awesome.

roque, my fallback is always some variation on 60's housewife since i own a lot of vintage dresses...curlers help too.
candycane_girl
mouse, that costume looks awesome! I have to ask though, what did you use for the blood? I just tried to splash some homemade fake blood (cornstarch, corn syrup, water and food dye) on my clothes and it looks pinkish. I'm really disappointed.
The recipe I used said to use red and blue food dye but then later I saw other recipes that said to use red and green. I guess I should have done that instead. sad.gif
humanist77
mouse, that is amazing. I don't think I could ever be that crafty! make sure you post wearing-finished-product-photos : )

So I've got my whole costume together. Last year I wanted to do a Prom Queen & Dumpster Baby thing, but I couldn't afford it, and I had no where to go. This year I could afford it, and I have parties to go to Friday and Saturday night. I found this horrible, lacy, puffy sleeved, light pink, early 90's prom dress-about knee length, at a thrift store. Also a tiara, a prom queen sash, some ugly sequin high heels, and of course, a creepy baby doll. I'll cover the dress and doll in blood. Then a couple pairs of panty hose, which I'll twist together and soak in blood, and it'll come out from under my skirt, attached to the doll for an umbilical cord. I will def. post photos tomorrow night : P
mouse
oh man humanist that's so awful/great!

ccgirl, i used fake blood from walgreens mixed with water and a lot of red, green and a little yellow food coloring. fake blood is always way too pink imho. green will temper it nicely. blue will just make it purple. go darker than you think you want, because it always dries lighter, and dried blood looks really dark anyway.

i'm going to get a little crazier tomorrow night with extra fake blood everywhere, but for now:

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3016/298873...f32ca3d78_o.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3199/298788...fd0a8911e_o.jpg

there is a costume contest at my work tomorrow. i better win.
Owl_Gang_Girl
EEK! So excited. Going as Robert Smith from the video for never enough ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ri8fQ-7eVAY ) 'cept going for his normal red lipstick ... Oh it's the second stage outfit too, the one with the waistcoat and red scarf. I've just pulled things out of my wardrobe and haven't got stressed about it. THis is what I did last year when I went as Amy Winehouse and it's great, so easy! The winehouse got a whole lot of smiles and dropped jaws when I went to the supermarket as unlike her I have curves and large breasts, my Mother was extremely amused.
culturehandy
Mouse, your costume.fucking.ROCKS!
mouse
*runs in and dances about*

I WON! I WON I WON I WON! i got a ribbon AND a hundred freaking bucks at my work's costume contest for Scariest Costume! I WON I WON I WON! i never win anything so i am thrilled! best halloween ever!

i stopped at the drugstore (out of costume) on my way home from work and some asshole with his face all painted ran up right behind me and screamed in my ear to freak me out, i must've jumped a mile but i kept walking until i realized i left my purse in the car and was instead carrying the bag that my costume was in, so i went back to switch. i was afraid to face him again so i looked away but he said something thuggish like "it's halloween, bitch, that's what you get!" so i just smiled and said "yeah, you should see MY costume, i got FAKE GUTS!" so he came over and was like "oh yeah? can i see?" so i pulled the guts out of my bag to show him. he snickered and said "that look like a PUSSY!" but he waved and told me happy halloween as he and his thug friends were leaving.

i'm still kind of shaken but the fact that i sort of turned him around makes me feel awesome. if i'd told him to fuck off or given him a dirty look, i might've ended up in pretty bad shape considering the neighborhood i was in is pretty sketchy predominantly gang territory. but i was nice to him instead and as good as made a new friend. i feel violated and warm and fuzzy all at the same time. meh.
faerietails
woo! congrats mouse! (your costume freakin' ROCKS, btw)
thirtiesgirl
Halloween asshole thug jerk. Sometimes I just despise men.

I'm home for Halloween this year, nursing a kitty just back from the vet. I took him in yesterday after work because he was having some ear issues, and the vet told me to bring him back today so he could be sedated and have a thorough ear cleaning (apparently cat ears are very sensitive, so the cat should be sedated when ears are being deep cleaned). I left him at the vet all day and picked him up after work, woozy from the sedation and with a new cone collar on, which he has to wear for the next week so he doesn't scratch his ear while it heals. He's all disoriented and hating the cone collar, and I'm feeling guilty for putting him through this torture, even though I know his ear will get better. Ah, well. I'm too tired to go out anyway. Bleh. Fecking old lady, me.
Owl_Gang_Girl
Well the halloween party I was at was a total blow out! Tons of people cancelled and the guy I wanted to be there showed up but spent the whole time (about an hour) talking to his friend in flemish. Flippin' belgians! The most fun I had was when I walked my friend half way home and we had an honest disscussion about our emotional problems. A beautiful black english man then started talking to us and I ended up kissing him for some minutes in the street. Altogether a stange yet hilarious halloween!
mouse
QUOTE(thirtiesgirl @ Oct 31 2008, 07:22 PM) *
Halloween asshole thug jerk. Sometimes I just despise men.

but my point was the exact opposite. he was expecting me to be an irritable, scared, uptight white girl, just like i was expecting him to be a scary hispanic thug, but i was nice to him so he was nice, in his way, back. he went from trying to fuck with me to joining in my excitement about my costume and waving and wishing me happy halloween. it has me thinking defense/offense (in the sense of being offended) may not always be the right reaction.
thirtiesgirl
QUOTE(mouse @ Oct 31 2008, 08:16 PM) *
but my point was the exact opposite. he was expecting me to be an irritable, scared, uptight white girl, just like i was expecting him to be a scary hispanic thug, but i was nice to him so he was nice, in his way, back. he went from trying to fuck with me to joining in my excitement about my costume and waving and wishing me happy halloween. it has me thinking defense/offense (in the sense of being offended) may not always be the right reaction.

Any strange guy who thinks it's 'amusing' to scare me by popping up behind me and screaming in my ear is going to experience a little of my irritable, scared, 'uptight' white girl reaction, no matter what his ethnicity or background. That's just wrong shit to do. Not to mention, the fact that he finds it funny to equate your costume to a female body part, rather than, say...food, fecal matter...anything other than a female body part...does not win him any points in my book. I'm not going to change my reaction because he's a scary Hispanic thug. I'd react the same way if he was an 'uptight' white frat boy thug, too.
roquelaure

On a brighter note: YAY MOUSE!! wtg with your awesomeness!

i ended up cleaning my apartment while watching the HP Lovecraft story-based movies on TCM last night. my friend at work convinced me and my staff to go on a "pub crawl" tonight that is still halloween based- or, Noche de los Muertos as i've been calling it. it starts at six and goes until two in the morning... wha?! i've been on one "crawl" in my life and that was only because i won a seat on a local radio stations "party bus" and all my drinks were free. i can only drink maybe two beers or one drink an hour before i get sloshed. i have a feeling i'm going to feel really, really old. ah well, i'm getting the hell out of the apartment for the night, that's all that matters.

it was a lst minute decision, so i threw together a Queen of Hearts costume- a red ruffly and sequiny prom dresses i had intended to sell on ebay and my royal purple tuxedo tailed frock coat, then i still have to buy a crown, and i'm going to carry around a jar of fake hearts, and wear a stethescope, assuming i can find a kid's dr's set for cheap. voila. quick and dirty.
candycane_girl
I am shocked that I'm even awake right now, I didn't get in until about 4am. I went out with just a few friends but we had so much fun and kept running into other people we knew. I was totally surprised by the lack of Jokers that I saw because I had originally intended to be Joker from the hospital scene of The Dark Knight but then changed my mind. Anyway, there was definitely some craziness going on last night in downtown Toronto (line-ups for the liquor store, cops on horses!) but it was so much fun. It was also great that it was so warm because that is so unusual this time of year. I saw a lot of great costumes and a shocking number of Where's Waldos.
thirtiesgirl
QUOTE(candycane_girl @ Nov 1 2008, 07:51 AM) *
I am shocked that I'm even awake right now, I didn't get in until about 4am. I went out with just a few friends but we had so much fun and kept running into other people we knew. I was totally surprised by the lack of Jokers that I saw because I had originally intended to be Joker from the hospital scene of The Dark Knight but then changed my mind. Anyway, there was definitely some craziness going on last night in downtown Toronto (line-ups for the liquor store, cops on horses!) but it was so much fun. It was also great that it was so warm because that is so unusual this time of year. I saw a lot of great costumes and a shocking number of Where's Waldos.

Funnily enough, several of the Halloween goth/fetish parties around LA said "no Jokers." They wouldn't let anyone in with that costume.
mouse
QUOTE(thirtiesgirl @ Oct 31 2008, 11:11 PM) *
Any strange guy who thinks it's 'amusing' to scare me by popping up behind me and screaming in my ear is going to experience a little of my irritable, scared, 'uptight' white girl reaction, no matter what his ethnicity or background. That's just wrong shit to do. Not to mention, the fact that he finds it funny to equate your costume to a female body part, rather than, say...food, fecal matter...anything other than a female body part...does not win him any points in my book. I'm not going to change my reaction because he's a scary Hispanic thug. I'd react the same way if he was an 'uptight' white frat boy thug, too.

still missing my point, which is, in a nutshell, "turn the other cheek".
thirtiesgirl
QUOTE(mouse @ Nov 1 2008, 02:20 PM) *
still missing my point, which is, in a nutshell, "turn the other cheek".

I got your point. I don't do it with guys who behave like assholes towards me. I don't deserve to be treated that way and I let them know when they've mistaken me for someone they can. Not that my letting them know will stop their assholery any, but I'll feel better for not letting it pass unremarked. I do the same thing when a guy behaves well towards me. I let him know I appreciate it. Communication is key, as far as I'm concerned.
mouse
QUOTE(thirtiesgirl @ Nov 1 2008, 08:23 PM) *
I got your point. I don't do it with guys who behave like assholes towards me. I don't deserve to be treated that way and I let them know when they've mistaken me for someone they can. Not that my letting them know will stop their assholery any, but I'll feel better for not letting it pass unremarked. I do the same thing when a guy behaves well towards me. I let him know I appreciate it. Communication is key, as far as I'm concerned.

but....but...you DIDN'T get my point. the point is doing right to those who do you wrong. that's what that entire quote is about.

if you act the way they expect (and they, at this point, being anyone who treats you in a way you don't wish to be treated)--ie, "letting them know"--it's not going to change anything. i acted in a way he didn't expect, and it changed everything.

i'm not going to keep turning the halloween thread into a peaceful conflict resolution diatribe, but if you want to continue this we can "take it outside" or somewhere else.

and no. from what you've said, you really DIDN'T understand my point.
thirtiesgirl
Since you want to 'take it outside'... see you there.
pepper
best costume i've seen all year! vagina's are beautiful indeed...
LilPinkElectricChair
Mouse-your costume is awesome! No wonder you won!

I was also surprised that I saw at least 5 Where's Waldos costumes. Can someone explain how it came to be so popular?
humanist77
I saw a Where's Waldo costume too-I think it's come along with the resurgence in 80's pop culture-young adults trying to reclaim their childhood.
summerbabe
Hey candycane_girl, I'm from Toronto too, and I swear all of those Waldos ended up at the Michael Jackson Thriller Nights party on King and Niagara! There must have been 20 Waldos there. It was like in the Where's Waldo book, where there'd always be that one really difficult page where everyone looks like Waldo and you have to pick out the real one.
mouse
i saw a ton of pee wee hermans--one guy actually could dance on his toes. i always wanted to be pee wee herman.

some other good costumes: bob ross, a maxipad (for real, and he was with a girl who was dressed all in red so i'm imagining they planned it as a pair), lindsay lohan and samantha ronson, a st bernard with a barrel of brandy, a french kiss (striped shirt, beret, baguette & gene simmons makeup), and a bag of groceries--she even had a leaf of lettuce on as a little cap--"head of lettuce" hee hee hee.

one of the friends i went party hopping with was dressed up as charlie chaplin from the great dictator and had to spend all night explaining to drunk people that he wasn't hitler. not the best idea.
lilacwine13
The vagina costume is hilarious.

I ended up going as the archeology fairy. I bought a shirt with a skeleton on it, tacked a bunch of drawings of stone tools and pottery fragments onto a skirt, sprayed my hair with glitter, wore wings and put ribbons on my trowel. It got a lot of compliments at the Halloween party I went to, which makes sense since everyone there I work with, and I had a good time. One of the older guys was a little creepy towards me, but telling him to fuck off seemed to do the trick; everyone else was cool and seemed to understand that being nice to someone who just wants to have fun while wearing a skirt and heels is better than acting like a jackass towards them.
auralpoison
I had an allergic reaction to my makeup & my eyeballs swelled shut & I had hives.

Word to the Mouse for taking back the night.
stargazer
aw man, AP. that sucks. sad.gif

CONGRATS MOUSE!!!

humanist77
I got pics from this weekend :D

classy.
maybe I'm not cut out for this whole mothering thing...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.