Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Halloween!
The BUST Lounge > Forums > Absolutely Fad-ulous
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
auralpoison
Nope, they are hosiery only.

I'm anti-legging for the most part. They just aren't very flattering unless you're skinny or they're worn under a very looooong tunic. I once worked with a very large lady, so large (Like, she had to buy special shoes or take the laces out of a pair of knockoff Keds.) she wore little else but dresses & tunics & leggings. You could actually visibly see the bands of lycra holding her into those leggings.

I am not perpetuating that fatties are disgusting, just leggings.
pollystyrene
Crap. Last minute Halloween party invite. Costumes are optional, but LeBoy wants to dress up. If I can throw together a Daria costume by Saturday night, I will. Trying to decide if he should go as Trent or something totally different- I was thinking Shaun. We have a cricket bat.

I need to find a pair of size 10 army boots. Crap, humanist is only an 8 1/2, otherwise I'd borrow hers.

What kind of jacket would you say she wears? It's not really a blazer...it's got a zipper. I have a dark green zip-up hoodie, but that's not quite right. I have a shirt to wear underneath. Need a short black skirt. Thrift store here I come.
sassygrrl
QUOTE(pollystyrene @ Oct 27 2009, 03:04 PM) *
Crap. Last minute Halloween party invite. Costumes are optional, but LeBoy wants to dress up. If I can throw together a Daria costume by Saturday night, I will. Trying to decide if he should go as Trent or something totally different- I was thinking Shaun. We have a cricket bat.

I need to find a pair of size 10 army boots. Crap, humanist is only an 8 1/2, otherwise I'd borrow hers.

What kind of jacket would you say she wears? It's not really a blazer...it's got a zipper. I have a dark green zip-up hoodie, but that's not quite right. I have a shirt to wear underneath. Need a short black skirt. Thrift store here I come.

I'd say Shaun. I just saw that movie again....

http://a3.vox.com/6a00c22527b0f0604a0109815ee3bb000d-500pi - Daria image.
It looks like a greenish blazer/jacket.

I need some go-go boots that won't cause me to trip.
auralpoison
Gogo boots! Free *overnight* shipping!
sassygrrl
AP, I'm considered I'd fall on my ass... thanks though! I think when I'm out on Friday, I'll pick some up. Besides, I gotta get Mcgeek's geeky professor costume at the thrift store.
summerbabe
Do any of you spooky busties have experience with novelty contact lenses? I just got some snake ones (yellow with black slits) for my medusa costume, but I've never worn contacts before! I wonder how they keep from rotating on your eye? I don't want the slits pointing crazy ways blink.gif
auralpoison
Honestly, the contacts don't move around that much. You should be okay, I never had a problem with mine unless I forgot to take my allergy meds. And if you do have a problem, you can always wash your hands & make adjustments. I always keep a mini saline in my purse.
epinephrine
Well, my Halloween isn't really shaping up so good. Two of the people who would totally have been up for doing it properly with me are out of town and won't be able to come down, and everybody else who I've managed to get in touch with is working or doing something lame. I know I shouldn't be depending on other people for my fun, but come on - Halloween is for partying, and you can't really party alone. And I hate partying with strangers, so crashing a party or going to the bar are out of the question. I have been invited to my aging hippie landlady's Samhain celebration on Halloween, though, so I'm thinking of doing something (really, really) different this year and checking it out. It's going to be a bunch of aging hippies and pretentious granola people waving crystals around and doing a bunch of fluffy pseudo-Wiccan goddess worship, and will probably be cheesy and embarrassing, but I've always taken Halloween really seriously as a holiday and wanted to get deeper into the roots, beneath the surface facade of candy corn and orange and black streamers, and I suppose I should take the opportunity that's fallen into my lap. Hope I don't regret it.

I'd really love to go to a party, though, because I was so excited about my tooth fairy costume. I haven't got anything together yet, but it's quite a simple costume and I know I could whip it up with no trouble. Except for the tooth necklace - that would require a little craftiness. It's a shame my social life is such a shambles right now - Halloween is a way bigger deal this year now that it's on a weekend. There's so much to do! It's just no fun doing it alone...
summerbabe
QUOTE(auralpoison @ Oct 27 2009, 09:15 PM) *
Honestly, the contacts don't move around that much. You should be okay, I never had a problem with mine unless I forgot to take my allergy meds. And if you do have a problem, you can always wash your hands & make adjustments. I always keep a mini saline in my purse.

Cool, thanks! I always wondered how those non-radial contacts can stay in place floating in a sea of eye juices.

Sorry everyone seems so down on Halloween this year sad.gif It may be just me but the Monster Mash always gets me in the mood wink.gif
nickclick
i have 3 costumes to wear in the span of 2 days. it's going to be quite a quick change!

at work tomorrow - recycling a Hedwig the snowy owl costume from a Harry Potter party earlier this year - white feather boa, feather mask, and wings

bike ride/party tomorrow nite - bad 60s girl - cat's eyes sunglasses, black cardigan, red kerchief, pedal pushers (wanna wear a pencil skirt, but hard to bike in)

village parade in NYC sat nite - recycling a Frida Kahlo costume from last year - long black ruffle skirt, Mexican top, big wrap, big tin earrings, huge beaded necklace, flowers in my bun, drawn-on unibrow
candycane_girl
Well, I finally got my costume together! I now have a witch hat and a cape. Still trying to decide if I should get some purple lipstick or not.

Also, thank god for Value Village!

ETA: I'm now watching Halloween episodes of Roseanne to get into the spirit!
pepper
Shit, the kid has a fever. Wish us luck for good health on the day of days! He'll be so bummed out if he's stuck in bed when all the hooplah is happenin'. Darn it all.

I got my pirate costume in the mail and it looks Cute! At the very least I'm getting dressed and handing out candy, I am Totally in the mood for Halloweenie, I love pumpkin day.
candycane_girl
Aw, pepper, I hope he feels better! That would absolutely suck to miss out on all the Halloween fun. I called my mom today and told her that I hope she has a lot of candy since Halloween is on a Saturday this year which means there will probably be more kids out. She's convinced though that since there is rain in the forecast that there won't be many kiddos around.
pollystyrene
I had pneumonia on Halloween when I was 6, so I can sympathize, pepper. Never got to wear my Cyndi Lauper costume. sad.gif

I realized that I have a dark green sweater that zips up. It's not perfect, but it will do, unless I can find something better.

We live in a condo and our usual routine was to go to LeBoy's brother's house after work and go out with their kids, then have a little party afterwards. Now, with Halloween on a Saturday, we're stopping by LeBrother's house on the way to another party, but not until 3:00, so we'll probably get hit with some kids before that. If they knock on my door before noon, they lose an eye, though! dry.gif Ooo, maybe I'll reverse trick-or-treat them! laugh.gif
candycane_girl
Do you really think that kids are going to come around that early, though? In my neighbourhood no one went out until dusk. I guess it seemed more spooky that way.

I'm thinking of stopping by the drug store and splurging on some purple lipstick to complete my witch outfit. I'm just glad that it all came together. I got an awesome cape with a spiderweb pattern on it.
nickclick
cc_girl, sounds awesome! purple lipstick....yeah!
ketto
Polly, i had to comment on the time thing too. Do kids really go out that early where you are? I think the earliest we get (now that daylight savings is later) is around 6:30, after it starts getting dark. Even if halloween's been on a weekend, no daytime trick or treaters for us.

We're moving on Sunday so I'm really busy with that stuff and halloween really fell by the wayside. I'm supposed to play soccer at 7pm tomorrow, but I'm staying home to give out and candy and go out with my niece for a bit. It's my last halloween at my folks house!!!
pollystyrene
I have no idea how early they'll come. This is the first year that I've lived on my own where it's been on a weekend, so I don't know. I didn't buy candy today, so even if they do knock, I probably won't answer.

I tried on my costume tonight. It looks awesome. LeBoy wanted to, ahem, "try it out"...I told him that was disturbing, and he at least had to wait until tomorrow night!
rogue
Happy Halloween, Everyone! I hope you all have fantastic evenings, no matter what you're up to! =)
sevenseconds
Happy Halloween, rogue, all ladies!
cc_girl, you inspire me!

Sweet, I do feel like Halloween (now that the right side of my face looks like a gob of alien boogers, see Confessions)! I'd love some last-sec help, ladies, what character has a black eye seeping over the rest of their cheek like in real time? But it has to be easy, like add one thing. Or I'll just wear a witch hat and be done... Can't wait to park it at McDougal and Bleeker and look at happy people, and not think about me.
Wow. Don't know that I've ever felt this before (did I just slip back into the human race!?) - extreme sadness as the engine for such an overwhelming desire to party. I am gonna. It feels good to have committed.
spot-on
Well ours will be a quiet night in sad.gif Both of us have had flu for over a week. Finally got around yesterday to admitting we won't be well enough to attend parties sad.gif And we just made a poster for the door telling the neighborhood kids no trick or treating here sad.gif Sucks ass, cos this is the one day of the year we go all out usually. If we're home we do candy AND glosticks and set up spooky music, fog machine etc etc.

Flu sucks!
candycane_girl
Happy Halloween everyone!

I'm seriously considering taking a nap. I'm expected to go to my friend's place by about 8. There is going to be a lot of drinking and candy tonight! It just sucks that it's cold out but luckily it'll only be cold on the way there and then I'll be spending the evening indoors.
pepper
we've all just got a minor case of the sniffles here, nothing to keep us from having fun. which we did! kids are so great for making things amazing...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/craftylittlem...57607132388128/
evadestruction
my baby bro got married on halloween so i got to wear a bridesmaid costume. luckily for me the reception was costumes optional so i dressed up as a Sylvia Ji inspired La Katrina. but i did half my face sugar skull and the other half classic glam.if someone tells me how to post pictures i'll set some up.
hope everyone else had an equaley bewitching time!
nickclick
eva, sounds awesome. try a link to pics on Flickr, photobucket, etc.
culturehandy
Pepper, awesome!!!!

evade, that sounds like so much fun!!!I'd love to see pics!
pepper
Glad you liked them Culture! Now where are all your pics girls? I'm dying to see over here!

I sustained a pumpkin related injury yesterday, revenge of the Jack'o'lantern I call it. I had to chop them all up in the bottom of the composter with a rusty old garden shovel and I bashed my finger good and hard, OooWwWWeEeEEEeEe! Still hurts but at least it's on my left hand and I'm a righty. Frikken painful though, not exactly the thing I want to keep reminding me of Halloween for a few more days.

Oh, BTW check out these homemade costumes for next year's inspiration. Their armour is made of cardboard and paper mache, you will Not believe how fantastic it looks. I'm doing it, I don't know what we'll dress up as yet but whatever it is there will be crazy paper mache involved!
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=326767.0
pepper
Oh, guys, have you seen a cat litter cake yet? Check out this disgusting Halloween buffet food, eww UGH!

http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=326716.0
deschatsrouge
I did something similar in spirit this year for the halloween party I went to, I made "blood" jello (black cherry) with gummy brains, worms, fangs, ect on it.
epinephrine
It's summer, and you know what that means - time to start planning for Halloween!

Sadly, I won't be doing much this year because I don't think they really do Halloween in China. Guess I'll have to bring Halloween to China with me! That could be lots of fun. One of the best Halloweens I had was the one I spent with some friends from Japan. I had so much fun introducing them to the concept and customs of Halloween, explaining the history, showing them how to carve pumpkins, watching Buffy and Hocus Pocus and zombie movies, dressing up, taking them to haunted houses, going to parties...They got totally into it. It was like spending Halloween with kids, only with alcohol and later bedtimes!

I'm just listening to Tom Waits' Bone Machine and it's very Halloweeny. I never did do anything with my idea for a Halloween blog. Maybe that'll be my Halloween activity this year.
Persiflager
Epi, that sounds awesome! I bet you'll make a lot of new friends that way.

I'm tempted to throw an old-fashioned Halloween party this year, with apple-bobbing and other parlour games. Pretty childish, but.... I like playing games!
epinephrine
Oh, I've wanted to have an old-fashioned Halloween party for ages! You'll have to have popcorn balls and candy apples, and if you wanna be super-traditional (and possibly risk choking one of your guests) you could serve barmbrack. I love tradition. Halloween rocks my world. I wish it was taken a little more seriously and was made into an actual holiday.
epinephrine
So what's everyone doing for Halloween?

The foreign students here are having a party tonight and I'm gonna check it out. Halloween really kind of crept up on me, and I have no costume and no idea what to wear. I'm seriously considering going as a bedsheet ghost. If I can cobble it together fast enough, though, I'll try to do the scary tooth fairy costume I've wanted to do for so long! I hear the party might be invite only, but I think I'm gonna try to sneak a couple of my Chinese friends in. I'm gonna go in search of something pumpkin-flavoured today - they don't celebrate Halloween over here, but they are aware of it, and it's entirely possible that there a few Halloweeny novelties to be found.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.