Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Don't U 4get About Me..it's The '80's Again
The BUST Lounge > Forums > Media Whores
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Moonpieluv
I adore the Last Dragon.

I mean, Vanity... who's ur master?... wonderful 80's fashion...one of my favorites.

Ya know, when I was much younger... my vocal teacher told me that I sounded like Bernadette Peters at first... as if that were a bad thing! lol laugh.gif
bunnyb
I bought a copy of Jem: the Movie on dvd from ebay! I'm sure I will be disappointed and nostalgia isn't what it used to be but I'm so excited to see it after so many years!

Although I think I own way too many 80s cartoons and films on dvd unsure.gif.

sybarite
So this morning I was listening to Shannon's 'Let the Music Play' and Alexander O'Neal's 'Criticize' enroute to work. What? They put a spring in my step and got me out of the house...
thirtiesgirl
I currently have Psychedelic Furs' Mirror Moves on rotation in my car stereo. It's actually been in there all summer, along with Talk Talk's best-of and A Flock of Seagulls, which I finally took out about a month ago. They're standards for me in early summer.
kari
Omg, Bunny, I used to love Jem!!

Mr K and I recently rented the Dark Crystal....does anyone remember that movie? It holds up surpisingly well.

I completely forgot about Samantha Fox! I remember that she was "naughty." She was the dirty Debbie Gibson.

"Let the music play"....total skating song!

What about that song "Oh Sheila"? I hear that one the other day, and must admit I enjoyed it.
sybarite
OMG, by The Time? *total nostalgia earworm*
i_am_jan
I don't mean to "GET PSYCHOLOGICAL WITH YOU" ( tongue.gif ), but do you guys remember all the "buzz words/phrases" we used to use in the 80's? I still use a couple, and they *always* but *always* just SMACK of the 80's and date me...such as, I still use the word "wild." I'll go, "oh yeah, that's WILD." Or when referring to a hot guy, I'll go "he's GORGEOUS." And it's funny cuz NO one uses those terms anymore, LOL. (I should probably stop using those words now that I think about it...PSYCHE!)
missladyj
Kari, I was just talking about the Dark Crystal with my husband the other day. I wold love to see that again

I just this summer gave all my t-shirts that I have cut off the cuffs and bottoms and have had since the 80's away.

I still say groody to the max and gag me with a ginsu as opposed to gag me with a spoon. Also have a copy of Zappa's Valley girl on vinyl.
anna k
I bought a copy of The Wizard earlier this year to watch with my brother. We both enjoyed it, thought some parts were cheesy, and saw it for what it was: a hour-and-a-half Nintendo commercial.

A radio station played The Jets' Crush on You, and I had never heard it before, feeling so elated and happy.
kari
Oh man, The Jets!

What about Lisa Lisa & Cult Jam?

lady j...definitely check out the Dark Crystal.

I used to love that movie, along with Fraggle Rock.
auralpoison
OMG. The Jets. For my thirteenth birthday my parents took me to Pizza Hut & I got the Jets TAPE as a gift. I LURVED IT!

Lisa Lisa reminds me of sitting on my best friend at the time's porch & chilling.

HBO per the norm started hyping Fraggle Rock months before it started. I was so excited! I was playing Barbies with my friend across the alley the day it debuted & I remember coming into the house to check the time so we wouldn't miss it.
girltrouble
omg... i used to have the biggest crush on lisa lisa. i love that electro/freestyle sound. *sigh* all cried out? soooo good.

LL& cult jam's head to toe or i wonder if i take you home, noel's silent morning, mantronik, shannon's let the music play or give me tonite expose's past the point of no return or come go with me, nu shooz' i can't wait or point of no return, company b's fascinated

i love talk talk, and i hated gwen stephani... until she did one of their songs. she killed it.

i have a lot of this on vinyl, thank maude, but digital display and oh sheila are always on my best friends mp3 player. and i was giggling with mr.t about some of the over the top lines that used to be on albums by the time. "do you always carry lingerie in your glove compartment?" "what should i put in there? i don't wear gloves."
i find myself singing "gigolos get lonely too." that, is a great, silly song. but it is so good.

you know what i miss? eric b & rakim

art of noise's close to the edit.
take some petrol darling
QUOTE(bunnyb @ Aug 26 2008, 06:28 PM) *
I bought a copy of Jem: the Movie on dvd from ebay! I'm sure I will be disappointed and nostalgia isn't what it used to be but I'm so excited to see it after so many years!

OMG, bunny, please tell me you've seen this youtube clip --

jem 'covering' le tigre's "deceptacon"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DEqmC1q9Sow
take some petrol darling
i was born in '85 so i wasn't old enough to catch onto the '80s pop sensations when they were still current... but i collected '80s toys for a really long time! my personal favorite were, of course, my little pony! i collected them well into my 'teens and ended up with hundreds of them and countless pieces of memoribilia that i got on the cheap at garage sales or from the girl cousins in my large extended family. holding onto my original ones from childhood and a few others that had gained significance, i sold the majority of them at a convention a few years back that, for some reason, was held here in minneapolis.

they still make me smile soooo much!while they aren't my thing anymore, they were a fun thing to collect for so long and it's cool to see young kids liking the new ones hasbro makes.

sybarite
Count me in the lisa lisa & cult jam fan club, along with mantronix. Expose was my guilty pleasure: when the pet shop boys did 'domino dancing' they said it was inspired by expose's 'miami sound.' I can't believe I remember that. Love art of noise too, and brian eno's stuff with david byrne a bit earlier.

Also 'Buffalo Stance' by neneh cherry ruled my world.
auralpoison
Um, I downloaded both Neneh Cherry & Nu Shooz.
thirtiesgirl
On the '80s fantasy movie tip, may I just add: Labyrinth and Legend. I must have watched those movies a bazillion times back then (on VHS). I still can't get over Tim Curry as the devil in Legend.
LoveMyPugs
QUOTE(thirtiesgirl @ Aug 28 2008, 09:56 PM) *
On the '80s fantasy movie tip, may I just add: Labyrinth and Legend. I must have watched those movies a bazillion times back then (on VHS). I still can't get over Tim Curry as the devil in Legend.

I loved Legend growing up and just bought it about a year ago on DVD. Love that movie!!!
zoya
...ok, thirtiesgirl, I have a feeling you might be able to relate to this one... I remember when Footloose came out.. I was in I think 8th grade and me and my girlfriends saw it 5 times IN A ROW. eek!!!
sybarite
Footloose was on TV recently... I thought one of the minor characters looked a lot like Sarah Jessica Parker because she was sporting a side ponytail, and it turns out it was SJP. Anyone remember her in Square Pegs?

For me, it was Desperately Seeking Susan. Loved that movie. The young Aidan Quinn is adorable in it.
zoya
oh god, I LOVED square pegs. I had the hugest crush on Johnny Slash! Do you remember the Devo episode? my favourite, by far. I heard the whole series was going to come out on DVD (if it's not out already)
missladyj
I am a huge fan of the movie Legend which I own on DVD but I also have the soundtrack on cassette tape ( yes that's right on tape) because that Bryan Ferry song " Is your love strong enough" is so gorgeous.

On the square pegs tip, Jamie Gertz's family belonged to my synogage. She showed up once for the HIgh HOlidays and it was a huge deal.

thirtiesgirl
QUOTE(zoya @ Aug 29 2008, 07:05 AM) *
...ok, thirtiesgirl, I have a feeling you might be able to relate to this one... I remember when Footloose came out.. I was in I think 8th grade and me and my girlfriends saw it 5 times IN A ROW. eek!!!

I was a high school freshman when that movie came out. I loved it at the time. Who knew Kevin Bacon was such an athletic dancer? My big movie in high school was Ferris Beuller's Day Off, though. That's the one that I saw several times at the cinema. I was so in love with Matthew Broderick. Another funny/weird thing about that time... I saw the Breakfast Club in 10th grade and I remember kind of hating it. I thought it was pretentious and overdone. I saw it again about 10 years later at a friend's house (she had it on VHS) and it really affected me. It's the movie that inspired me to get into my career as a school counselor, but I hated it the first time I saw it. Heh. Last year, the NuArt Theater in Santa Monica had a Breakfast Club revival and showed it on the big screen. I went with a group of friends and loved every minute of it.

Speaking of the Breakfast Club, have you guys seen this commercial for JC Penney yet? I was horrified the first time I saw it... the awful emo band ruining the song, the Asian girl in the Nirvana T... not to mention it's a piece of my past being used as a cultural reference point. Yeah, that doesn't make me feel old at all! (Right.)
missladyj
I hate that JC Penny's commercial!!! Almost as bad as using The The's this is the day for pants or mNm's or a Yaz song for a Honda Oddessey. I am continually disgusted by how that music is used to target me. it's gross.
i_am_jan
I LOVE "Footloose." I was extremely sheltered by crazy/religious fundy mom, so was not allowed to see movies growing up. I was introduced to "footloose" by my BFF at the time, who told the whole movie to me in story form from start to finish! The tale was captivating, and I loved the movie, vicariously. Then I saw the actual movie in my 20's, and it was *exactly* as she had described, I knew what was going to happen and stuff... awesome. Kevin Bacon is soooo gorgeous.

And don't forget about Kev AND Jamie Gertz in "Quicksilver." ... the movie about the bike couriers? where Kevin is a Wall Street stockbroker who quits his job to be a bike courier? and takes the job *verrrrry* seriously, in an "80's- corporate-guy-goes-punk kind of way", LOL laugh.gif
thirtiesgirl
Two words: War Games.
kari
Oh man, I remember all the stuff you have mentioned!!

My Little Pony.... I used to love those! And Cabbage Patch dolls too.

Expose! I forgot about that group.

That JC Penny commercial is TERRIBLE. Barf.

Footloose is such a fun movie. And Labyrinth! Remember those weird creatures in Labyrinth that could take their heads off?

What about The Neverending Story?

Christine Nectarine
QUOTE(kari @ Sep 3 2008, 09:56 AM) *
That JC Penny commercial is TERRIBLE. Barf.

agreed. the only decent (imo) breakfast club tribute/knock-off was an episode of degrassi:tng called "take on me". incidentally, as a true Canadian 80's child, DEGRASSI is my absolute favourite show of all time. i even like the new series, and love how all the episode titles are 80's song titles!
bustygirl
Desperately Seeking Susan and Pretty in Pink will always be my favourite teen movies, even though I HATED HATED HATED the ending of PIP.

In fact, when I describe going through high school in the pre-'alternative' revolution 80's, I alway say it was exactly like Pretty in Pink, only without the outcast winning in the end.

I will say this, though...I was never as much of an individual as I was in my HS years. Being on the fringes will push that out of you. I had so much fun with clothing then, because we had no money, and I was forced to alter/cut up/revamp things to my own tastes. I had this awesome pair of ripped up jeans before the ripped up jeans thing became a trend, and I used to get so much shit for them, but I loved them so much.

I'd wear them with my black jelly bracelets and my beret (SUCH an art dork!) and my striped tee-shirt and my black ballet flats and pretend I was in Paris or New York hanging out with Andy Warhol and Cyndi Lauper. In reality, I was just in my room listening to arty New Wave music and dreaming about getting the hell out of my Midwestern Middle-Class High School.

I almost miss those days....well, the clothes, anyway. smile.gif
freckleface7
my high school boyfriend recently found me again & yesterday we finally spoke on the phone.
== flashback to 1989! == it was reallly hysterical to remember Prom & his goofy pseudo mullet/new wave hair cut & how we bucked the trend of pastels & poofy dresses to go w/ classic black,white & red (very cutting edge, lol) and vintage.
his wife Loves our prom picture- his wife that graduated in 1999 ( wonder if she partied like it was? will have to ask her tongue.gif ) and she's right, our pictures were good. we were cool & original.

how fun would it be if all of us could share prom pictures or is that too dorky?
he said he's going to scan our picture and send it to me again & if so, I'll try to post it here.
I have not laughed that hard in a long time! biggrin.gif
zoya
I fucking hated the end of Pretty In Pink, also, Bustygirl!! I was like "NOOO!!! she bought in!!!"

I love duckie though.

oh, and my guilty pleasure - OMD.
girltrouble
omg... freck i would die to see that...

i don't have any prom pix. i didn't go...
thirtiesgirl
QUOTE(zoya @ Sep 3 2008, 12:59 PM) *
I fucking hated the end of Pretty In Pink, also, Bustygirl!! I was like "NOOO!!! she bought in!!!"

I love duckie though.

I'm so with you on that one. I was so mad she ended up with Blaine (eww... even his name...). I'll confess something here that I rarely tell a soul: I have the Pretty in Pink novel-ette that was written after the movie (paperback, natch), and at the end of the book, she ends up with Duckie. So much more satisfying.

No prom pix for me, either. I didn't have fun in high school and lived my life as a ghost.
crinoline
Hi! I was born in the 80s, but I love the teen 80s movies anyway (Breakfast Club = awesome). I heard that in the original script for Pretty in Pink, she ended up with Duckie, but it didn't fly with the marketing test group.
vixen_within
I miss the eighties so much it hurts.
It's all Lady Di, The Challenger explosion, Nuclear apocalypse, Back To The Future, E.T. and the The Smurfs to me.
Adoring my older cousin (and all teenagers), The Cocteau Twins and Post Punk, Kate Bush and hair bands.
I downloaded Ms Pacman to my nano and pretend it's 1985 while I'm on the transit.

Remember how every blockbuster movie had a Saturday morning cartoon spin off? Does anyone else remember Teen Wolf?
zoya
it's funny - because so many of the things that were cool & mainstream in the 80's are kitschy cool now, and yet so much of what was way far underground and not in any way mainstream cool in the 80's has become kinda mainstream. For example, by the time I was a Sr in HS, I was totally over the whole neon-rubber bracelet-ankle-socks-with-your-stiletto-pumps-wear-a-brooch-at-the-throat-of-your-buttoned-up-big-shirt-ala-Robert-Smith-high-teased-bangs thing and I got way into Black Flag, Doc Martens, deconstructing my t-shirts, thrifting, etc. and I was kinda of an outcast because of it (ie: everyone thought I was total weirdo) Now all that stuff is totally mainstream. Not to say I was ahead of the curve, because there were plenty of people into what I was into, it was just another more underground sub-segment of the 80s.

I'm not sure exactly what point I was making, just more of an observation about how they were influential and not just in a kitschy kind of way.

That said, I still fucking loved all the teen movies then and I still do... biggrin.gif

I also loved Culture Club and Yaz. and still do.

.. and did anyone who was of a certain age in the 80's smoke cloves? oof.
sybarite
You don't want to see my prom pix, trust me. White strapless dress with a tan, pastel pink lippie and electric blue eyeliner. Run for the hills!

For a while I teased my hair a la bananarama and slouched to school in some arty dungarees and lots of eyeliner. Then I got into buying men's PJ pants, huge, ratty mohair sweaters and yes, men's white shorts pinned with a brooch. I don't think I actually brushed my hair for about 6 months.

I wussed out and went traditional for prom though, which in retrospect was a shame...
zoya
sybarite - oh god, my prom pics are ghastly. I'm with you.

I'm also with you on the hair thing. I used to spike mine with gelatin. Yes, gelatin mixed with water. then ultra super hold aqua net over that. oh god, but it must have smelled.
thirtiesgirl
QUOTE(zoya @ Sep 4 2008, 04:41 AM) *
.. and did anyone who was of a certain age in the 80's smoke cloves? oof.

I did once, and it was awful. I was trying to get in with the 'cool' goth-alterna kids who hung out on the far side of campus at lunch and smoked (mostly cigs, but sometimes cloves). I'd gone to elementary school with a girl in that clique, so I thought I could use our previous semi-friendship to my advantage in high school...but it didn't really work that way. Before I was really aware of how I didn't fit in with the kids who were trying not to fit in, I thought I'd brave a couple of puffs on a clove cigarette, but I just ended up looking even more uncool because I had no idea how to smoke. ...Ach. I hated high school. I really need to stop re-living these memories.
i_am_jan
QUOTE(zoya @ Sep 4 2008, 11:41 AM) *
I'm not sure exactly what point I was making, just more of an observation about how they were influential and not just in a kitschy kind of way.

Great observation. Makes me hopeful.

No cloves for me, only because I couldn't get hold of any, but I do remember peeps talking about smoking cloves as though it were *the shite*.

On the prom tip, I would be totally cool posting my pics. I was the first girl at my high school that I know of to wear a black prom dress tongue.gif At the time, it was unheard of and I HAD TO BREAK MY MOM'S ARM OFF twisting it in order to get her to buy me it, she hated it, hated it, never DID get used to the idea. (Sorry, moms.) I'm sure it's pretty normal, now.
auralpoison
"His name is Blaine? Blaine?! That's a major appliance, that's not a name!"

Oh, fuck all ya'll. I've now had to bust out with Yaz's "Upstairs At Eric's". I've done "Situation" at karaoke, but I do it more Beth Ditto than Alison Moyet. My voice just doesn't get that deep.

I was the first girl in school to rock the jelly bracelets. I was a goddess of cool for two weeks in fifth grade. Well, no I was always cooler than everybody: My mom took me to LA to go school shopping twice a year since we flew/stayed for free. I was at least a good two years ahead of everybody else in this hick burg.

OMG! Degrassi! It came on Sunday mornings at 11.30am on PBS. My *mom* & I were addicted. Even as late sleepers, we always got up for Degrassi!

I had a friend that smoked cloves because she didn't think they had tobacco in them. Duh. I liked the way they tasted, but hated the smell. The taste, though.

My first prom I announced the couples & then went to see "Silence of the Lambs". Second I went with a girl & we got announced which caused an uproar. Third I only went to because my mom *made* me. She bought the dress, the shoes, made the hair/makeup appointment because she thought I'd "regret" not going. Um, no. I looked ridiculous & nobody recognized me. I was home by 11pm, drinking beer, & watching movies. I went with one of the high school janitors.
sybarite
Sorry, that was meant to be 'men's shirts'. I was not buying used men's boxers, thankyouverymuch.

Zoya--was your hair absolutely stiff and inflexible to the touch? Mine was a frozen moussed backcombed nightmare. The second day was always better because the product built up more...ew.

IMO Alison Moyet's voice withstands the decades.
zoya
oh god, yes. the gelatin made it kinda moldable, but when it set it was stiff... the aqua net made it HARD. and yes, the second day was better. I just added more aqua net!!! ewww...

I'm with you, Sybarite, I just saw Yaz a few months ago when they were on tour, and Allison Moyet still sounds absolutely incredible.
i_am_jan
QUOTE(zoya @ Sep 5 2008, 01:32 PM) *
oh god, yes. the gelatin made it kinda moldable, but when it set it was stiff... the aqua net made it HARD. and yes, the second day was better. I just added more aqua net!!! ewww...

Darn rightie, on the "WIND is AFRAID to come 'round these bangs...the BREEZE runs cowering back into nature once it gets a whiff of the AquaNet glued to this forehead!" (This AFTER using the (*then NEW to the world!") foamy mousse which I spread through it while it was still wet!

*wows*. I miss the days when I could wake up the next day looking exactly like I did the night before though, hair and makeup DID. laugh.gif

Now fess up! Who else was wearing Wet-N-Wild from Revco? Artmatic? TUSSY? anyone?
missladyj
used to buy wet n wild ? I still by wet and wild lipsticks to this day! cheapest and most obnoxious colors of lipstick ever!!

my prom dress was a black flapper dress from a vintage store. fuckin awesome.
thirtiesgirl
The drugstores in my neck of the woods didn't sell Wet'n'Wild makeup in the '80s, but I do remember them selling Aziza eyeshadow and liner, which was the only kind of shadow & liner I wore (I got into eye makeup in a big way and piled in on in the '80s). Nowadays, I can only find Aziza at the 99 Cent store, cheaply made and packaged. Back in the '80s, I thought it was the best thing evar.
freckleface7
QUOTE(missladyj @ Sep 6 2008, 11:53 AM) *
my prom dress was a black flapper dress from a vintage store. fuckin awesome.

^5's misslady bc my dress was vintage too, tho not flapper. our prom was held at a hall in Gary, a stone's throw from you in chi town.
will have to gently nudge high school boyfriend to have his wife scan/send the picture to post.

and windsong perfume? (which I still love & wear) and BABE perfume.. do you know what that crap goes for nowadays? it's like blood an ounce!
lee press-on nails, bought cheap at wal green's the great ~mecca of all things cosmetic & not likely to be found at home~.

and I wore fitted high waisted jeans w/ 3 snaps at the tops, and crop top sweaters, and then this goofy jean jacket w/ tons of pins all over it, both vintage & just funny "support bingo, keep grandma off the streets" and short brown vintage wrist gloves everywhere, even in my sr pic, they were sort of my signature. a lot of girls had gone 'madonna Virgin Slutty by then, but not me.
I also wore boyfriend's vintage grey fedora a lot too, and I was short & petite w/ short hair so I probably looked good & goofy most of the time but amazingly- I still had friends!
auralpoison
I wasn't dissing the Moyet, I just can't sing that low.

I still use the WetNWild bronzer. When I still wore lipstick, their lipliner 666 was the shit.

TUSSY. Such goofy commercials. I just like saying it, TUSSY.
thirtiesgirl
Bonne Bell lipgloss. The Muppet Show. Xanadu.

ONJ = love. When is Goldfrapp gonna get off their butts and cover that song? It was made for them.
vixen_within
There really IS an eighties revival going on. I just saw the black and pink with lace fashion combo being rocked by a ten year old.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.