Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: This Just In...
The BUST Lounge > Forums > As the World Turns
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24
girltrouble

seriously, no hope. i pm'd you, asking you nicely if you'd link instead of posting the whole things. contrary to what you'd like to think, you are not the arbiter of conversation in the lounge and it would be nice to continue conversations around your posts if we feel like it, or discuss them if we choose. but that, it seems is too difficult for you. seems like the only time you actually post anything other than a cut and paste article it's to make some snide remark.

no one owns the threads so it's important that we try to make it work for all the busties, k?

pollystyrene
QUOTE(nohope @ Mar 9 2007, 07:34 PM) *

So the important issue is not whether “The US also has a “second Guantanamo” in the Indian Ocean where alleged terror suspects kidnapped in Africa, the Middle East or Asia can be detained and interrogated without trial” or whether there “appears to be a sort of “School of the Africas” similar to the infamous “School of the Americas” training the next generation of African butchers for American interests, but rather whether I am infringing the intellectual property rights of an author in an Anarchist political online journal.

http://www.zabalaza.net/index02.htm

Yes, nohope, yes it is....((rolling eyes))

missladyj
can we please get back to what is important, namely how my farts will help ignorant, bitches everywhere.

My use of the word bitches totally includes dudes too. I don't want men to feel as thought they cant receive the benefits of my flatulence . they can but only if they are ignorant bitches!!!
girltrouble

that, miss lady j has been 300 lb elephant in the room. thank you for putting this all in perspective...lol
nohope
As Bush Admin Keeps Kidnap, Torture Victim Maher Arar on “No-Fly List,” New Play Brings Arar’s Ordeal to the Stage

MICHAEL GABRIEL GOODFRIEND: … New York Times did come opening night, but did not write a review.

AMY GOODMAN: A reporter and a photographer?

MICHAEL GABRIEL GOODFRIEND: Yes, that’s correct, a critic and a photographer. And we stayed after the show. They wanted photographs. We staged some photos and never saw a review. And then, finally we’re told by the critic that she was going to write a feature on political theater, in which we would be mentioned. That never happened. And then she later told the reviewer -- or, I’m sorry, the publicist that she was simply not going to write a review, because she didn't care for the play. We weren't able to attract the Village Voice even until a week ago, and we’re set to close tomorrow. So it’s been very frustrating.

JUAN GONZALEZ: And how long has the play been running?

MICHAEL GABRIEL GOODFRIEND: It’s been running for four weeks. And, you know, the word of mouth has been fantastic. We have played to full houses. It’s clearly that the American public and that the New York theater-going public cares deeply about and wants to talk about, but it’s been just like being in an echo chamber of our own, as far as the press is concerned. We haven't been able to attract -- until Democracy Now! came, we were not able to attract any of the more leading members of the press.

Read more on this story.
http://www.democracynow.org/article.pl?sid=07/03/09/1443251

Tacoma Peace Activists Stage Blockade of Stryker Vehicles Headed for Iraq

AMY GOODMAN: Last year, dozens of people were arrested at the Port of Olympia in similar actions. Following those protests, the military decided to stop using the Port of Olympia.

Navy veteran Wally Cuddeford joins us on the phone. He was arrested Sunday and was tasered by the police. Why were you arrested? What happened exactly, Wally?

WALLY CUDDEFORD: I was standing in the crowd of protesters -- oh, thank you for having me on the show, Amy. I was standing in the crowd of protesters, and the police grabbed me and threw me down on the gravel, rubbed my face in the gravel, causing wounds I still have on my face. While being under a pile of about four police officers, they began applying their taser to me in my back ordering me to put my arms behind my back. My arms were pinned under my own body. I could not move them. They tasered me three times while I was down on the ground and then dragged me across the pavement and charged me with third-degree assault.

Read more
http://www.democracynow.org/article.pl?sid=07/03/09/1444200
auralpoison
Ghodess love ignore!

WORD! May I personally serve you a big steaming plate of beans to help in the endeavor? Some broc & cauliflower for good measure?
culturehandy
How about some black beans, too?
faerietails2
*tosses in a bundle of spinach*
missladyj
thanks! I keep eating the beans, spinach, brocolli etc. NO beano for me. there is a lot of ignorance in the world, and I know my farts will help defeat it.

I think my new avatar should be FART GIRL able to cure stupidity with a single fart. The tricky part would be designing a costume. Of course I'd need a side kick like Roughage Girl or something to that nature.
girltrouble

i wanted to thank you for sending your baker's dozen of flatuence grenades, misslj. i have opened a great many nostrils, hearts and minds with them. as a thank you, i am sending you a semi of cabbage.

i am talking, additionally, to some people about building some sort of gas bottling plant for you. you would be like the artisan spring of smart bombs.
culturehandy
I wrote a story with a character names Farticus once. The super power of farticus was toxic farts.
nickclick
nice, they start so young. 4 boys' tale of violence against girls sparks probe
pollystyrene
Wow, that's disturbing. Especially since they had the initiative to just write the story (for over 2 years!), it wasn't like for a class project or something.
freckleface2727
as a mama, that horrify's me.

I honestly don't even know what to say.
culturehandy
Vile. you know what's even worse? Some people will write this off as boys will be boys.
girlygirlgag
I would sue that school district for letting those boys back in before a psychiatric evaluation, even if my child was not in the book. I would not want my children around anyone like that. If it were my child, they would be undergoing LOTS of psychotherapy.
nickclick
i'd bring myself to psychotherapy as well if my son was spewing that crap and i wasn't paying attention enough to see it.

ugh, boys will be boys, but unless they learn otherwise, those same boys will be men.
ginger_kitty
I would love to go back in history and slap whoever the person was to say 'boys will boys.' I hate that justification. That story is seriously distressing. Mental evaluations should definately be given to those boys. I would freaking out if I was a parent and something like that happened in my school district. After all the school shootings, you just can't be to careful. There were plenty of warning signs leading up to Columbine, that were ignored which could have prevented that tragic day.
bunnyb
what age are fifth graders? not that it justifies it, I'm curious how old they are and if they are socially and cognitively aware.
missladyj
fifth graders are 10/11
freckleface2727
QUOTE(bunnyb @ Mar 14 2007, 06:28 PM) *

what age are fifth graders? not that it justifies it, I'm curious how old they are and if they are socially and cognitively aware.

typically around 11 or so.
and while I hate to be a hater, kids today are a LOT more aware, socially and otherwise, than even 10 or 15 years ago. I do NOT understand where 4 seperate boys are so like-minded to come up w/ something like this. like a pack of hate.
2 kids maybe.. like the Columbine boys.. or maybe even children from the say, same abusive family, but 4 boys just hangin' out at the playground one day.. one says ' so and so (girl name) sucks. she was a witch to me in social studies.' and the other boy says ' yah, she Is a witch, and so is so-so her best friend; I wish I could take a .... and ...' and so it starts?

this is a flame for the violent video games that people let their kids have if ever I saw one bc the more they are encouraged and allowed to be exposed to that, the more desensatized to it they become.

I do NOT get it.
Onna-Otaku
I think that it is completely innappropriate to blame video games. None of the violent video games are meant for children of those ages, and it is up to the parents to put restricitons on that. I am really sick of gamers being potrayed as violent. I think that its a terrible stereo type. If the parents of these children didn't know any of this about their children, then they're bad parents, plain and simple. Our world is truly no more violent than any other time in history. The sad fact is that violence is a part of the human race. All we can do is protect our children from it for as long as possible, but it would be idiotic to think that its rare in the world. Saying its because of the video games is just a red herring to distract from the fact that it is the parents responsibility to pay attention to their kids.

The article didn't even mention that they played video games. And don't take me wrong, I think that there is something deffinatly wrong with those kids. Were one of them mine, they would recive the worst spanking of their life and be shown brosures for military school. But if you are looking for fault, look to the parents.
freckleface2727
onna,
I wasn't blaming gamers.
I was implying that there is a high probability that those boys were allowed to play violent video games, BY Their Parents, which I feel probably contributed to the desensatisation towards violence.
not fact, my Assumption here.
I could be wrong. these kids could fall in the miniscule .00004% of kids who Don't like or play video games, the article doesn't say.
but as far as "the parents should have known" I think that's unrealistic.
I know a LOT about my frecklette, I talk to her, spend time with her engaged and observing, but do I know Every thought in her head? impossible.
I will agree however, that something clearly was missed or gone wrong for the boys to come up with something like this.
maddy29
Hey there Busties:

Please check out this website and TAKE ACTION!

http://www.studentsforbhopal.org/

My friend works really hard to get justice for the survivors of the Bhopal chemical disaster-it's 22 years later and the drinking water is still toxic, people are sick and dying. There is a Supreme Court order to clean it up, but they won't do it! 6 Bhopali survivors are on a hunger strike right now, but they have to do it in hiding, because they were being beaten and arrested.

Please check out the website and send a free fax (or 20) and even better-make a phone call to India. This is all about corruption and greed at the expense of basic human rights. Send it on to your friends too. The idea is to flood the faxes and phone lines from people all over the world-to show them that we are watching and expecting change.

Thanks everyone!
girlygirlgag
I wish there was something I could do about this.
pollystyrene
God, that's so sick. There's a special place in hell for whoever did that.

Signed the petition and sent it on, Maddy.
Onna-Otaku
I was just knid of ranting in general about people blaming video games, not just about this situation.
Being a gamer myself, I hear a lot of things I consider bull about how it's all the video game's fault. To me, video games are a form of art. You don't hear as much blame on, say, violent movies or books that depict violence, because they seem to be a more acceptable form of art.
I wasn't really targeting what you said, I was more frustrated about video games as a scapegoat in general. I get tired of my mom saying that video game players can turn out violent, and about how the kids at columbine played doom. Do you know how popular doom is? I don't even like shooters, and I've played the game. Millions of people have played doom, and they haven't done anything as terrible as all that.

I just think that video games are a scapegoat a lot, so I saw that and kind of ranted. It wasn't directed at you at all, freckle.
maddy29
thanks polly! my roommate will love you forever!
ginger_kitty
ggg, that's just makes me sad. Who would do such a terrible thing? That's seriously heartbreaking.

This rev. guy is an asshole:
http://news.aol.com/topnews/articles/_a/fu...S00010000000001

culturehandy
What kind of sick, twisted, demented, sociopath would do that sort of shit? Vile, repulsive, disgusting.

What is it with evangelical people? Damn, they are fucked up. everytime I hear something, I don't think it can get any worse, then it does.

nohope
QUOTE(maddy29 @ Mar 15 2007, 02:24 PM) *

Hey there Busties:

Please check out this website and TAKE ACTION!

My friend works really hard to get justice for the survivors of the Bhopal chemical disaster-it's 22 years later and the drinking water is still toxic, people are sick and dying. There is a Supreme Court order to clean it up, but they won't do it! 6 Bhopali survivors are on a hunger strike right now, but they have to do it in hiding, because they were being beaten and arrested.

Please check out the website and send a free fax (or 20) and even better-make a phone call to India. This is all about corruption and greed at the expense of basic human rights. Send it on to your friends too. The idea is to flood the faxes and phone lines from people all over the world-to show them that we are watching and expecting change.

Thanks everyone!

Thanks so much for posting about Bhopal.

Indian Guestworker Slits Wrists After Being Fired for Complaining About Squalid Work Conditions

Hundreds of guest workers from India have begun protesting work conditions at a shipyard in Pascagoula Mississippi owned by the company Signal International.

The men say they spent their life savings in order get an H2B visa to work in the United States. Last week the men risked their jobs by publicly complaining about the work conditions. They held a press conference and issued a statement to the media.

The statement read in part: "We have been treated like animals here. We have been threatened with termination and salary reduction. We are living in isolation. Visitors are not allowed in the camps. We live 24 men in one container, with two bathrooms for all of us."

As the men were preparing to come public with their complaints, Signal told seven of the workers that their jobs had been terminated and that they would be sent back to India.

Upon hearing the news, one of fired workers - Sabu Lal - tried committing suicide by slitting his wrists. Freelance journalist Christian Roselund recently interviewed Sabu Lal his release from hospital.

http://www.democracynow.org/article.pl?sid=07/03/15/1352225

Close to Slavery: Report Finds Labor Abuses Under Guestworker Programs

http://www.democracynow.org/article.pl?sid=07/03/15/1352220
maddy29
update on bhopal- last night my roommate told me that one caller to india was told "they can starve forever." GAH!!!! wtf!!!!! They just don't care at all about these poor people. It's just amazing to me that they'll admit it. The protesters are in hiding and haven't eaten in over 10 days. 10 days!!!!!!

Please send a fax or even better call India-even if they pretend not to speak English, it still really helps to call.

maddy29
Another update-they arrested 5 of the strikers and put them in a hospital, sitting on the floor surrounded by police officers. They want to force feed them. Please send another fax or call today!

crazyoldcatlady
Any one else following the Supreme Court/Bong Hits 4 Jesus story?

I think it is HIGHlarious, and I must meet this kid. People have their panties all up in their shit for nothing.
girlygirlgag
This would not be fun

news of the wierd
pollystyrene
Oh, that's horrible. Has this been posted in the gross-out thread- the link there was broken?

This crazy woman stalking Bob Uecker lives in my condo complex! Why would you stalk Bob Uecker (ex-baseball player, current announcer for the Milwaukee Brewers, played the father on Mr. Belvedere)?
girlygirlgag
QUOTE(pollystyrene @ Mar 20 2007, 04:17 PM) *

Oh, that's horrible. Has this been posted in the gross-out thread- the link there was broken?

This crazy woman stalking Bob Uecker lives in my condo complex! Why would you stalk Bob Uecker (ex-baseball player, current announcer for the Milwaukee Brewers, played the father on Mr. Belvedere)?

I think Bob Uecker should be flattered that someone thinks he is hot..... Yuck. laugh.gif

I have not posted it in the grossie thread.
ginger_kitty
pseudomamma huh? EWWWW! and gross, I had not heard of that.

Bob Uecker stalker laugh.gif haaaaahaaaahaha....sorry
crazyoldcatlady
lol! i was on the elliptical machine tonight watching the CNN Headline News scroll/ticker thing, and had to do a double take about the Bob Uecker thing. I 'bout fell off.
ginger_kitty
I think republicans are beyond disgraceful for dismissing global warming as a hoax. But I am so glad that Gore is seriously commented to the cause.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/17718399/
ginger_kitty
Okay, this is just freaking wrong:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/17728343/

Here's a link to the video. *Warning it's violent*

http://video.nbc5.com/player/?id=83968

I can't believe no one stepped up to help her.
girlygirlgag
That is one cop I would like to meet up with, with my baseball bat.
culturehandy
Prick. At least the department is looking to fire him. The city I live in has had police offiers be arrested for domestic abuse and they get put on paid leave and still don't get fired.
freckleface2727
the department is looking to fire him, but immediately after the incident the woman was approached and offered money not to report it.

sweet.
missladyj
The ONLY reason anything is being done about this is because it was caught on tape. Orginally he was charged with a lesser account( not sure what). but now because of the video, the department has to do something.

The chitown pigs suck!
culturehandy
He tried to bribe her. Hmmph, who would've thought corrupt and cop in the same sentance. Shocking I tell you.
pollystyrene
This is sick. How do you diagnose a 2-year-old with a mental illness? And I love how after the girl was obviously reacting to the meds, the mom just gave her another pill. WTF?
Onna-Otaku
WARNING: I am about to rant...

This just goes to show how bullshit psychiatry is. They do it to make money, when it's really the pills that make you sick, not any stupid "illness". I could go up to anyone on the street and have a conversation with them and diagnose them with any number of disorders. Oh dear! the children are "acting up"! you mean they don't want to sit still and they throw tantrums when they don't get what they want? You mean they jump around a lot and they have a short attention span? Thats how children act! thats what they do! its all about parents being to lazy or too worried about being politically correct to actually discipline their children, so instead they give them pills in the hopes that they'll behave.

Sorry, I've had to deal with all this all my life, and I'm sick of it. It makes me sick what happened to that little girl. How many more children do you think are being over-medicated so the parents can get some peace and quiet?
pollystyrene
There was a letter in Dear Abby a few months back written by a grandmother who was worried about her 2-year-old granddaughter- the daughter-in-law gave the kid a shot of Tylenol every day because "it helped her sleep". The grandmother was starting to notice that the kid had a yellow-ish tinge (jaundice, which would indicate liver damage) and wondered if she should call the authorities. Um yeah!

I do think that saying psychiatrists are in it for the money is a generalization. There are legitimate doctors treating people with legitimate illnesses using legitimate drugs. This is clearly an extreme case of abuse, but as someone who suffers from depression that wasn't diagnosed until their early 20's, it boggles my mind why they didn't think to look into the possibility that I've had this since childhood and maybe some therapy and possibly drugs at some point would have prevented me from having suicidal thoughts at 12 and being a horrible student because I couldn't focus on anything, from Kindergarten through college, finally causing me to drop out of school, never getting my degree. It boggles my mind what I could have done with my life if I had proper treatment during those years. I know it's not too late but right now, the thought of school repulses me so much that I have no plans of going back.
pollystyrene
(I'm spending way too much time on news sites tonight!)

I can't even believe someone would suggest this. Um, okay, $500 and then what? Is someone going to raise the kid for them?

ETA: Okay, happy story.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.