Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: This Just In...
The BUST Lounge > Forums > As the World Turns
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24
Onna-Otaku
About the 500$ story:

Then there would be 3000 more children in the system. great, is he going to adopt them?
girlygirlgag
QUOTE(Onna-Otaku @ Mar 23 2007, 10:37 PM) *
WARNING: I am about to rant...

This just goes to show how bullshit psychiatry is.

It isn't bullshit. It saved my life.
bunnyb
um, yeah.

from someone who has a ten-year-old sometimes horror of a sister who can't be diagnosed: I wish there was a pill that she could be given that would give my mum some peace and quiet at times. to call parents of children with special needs ("problem kids") lazy is to have absolutely no idea what it's like to have to cope with a child who doesn't sit still for a minute, who throws tantrums over the slightest thing, who acts up at every available moment, who wets and soils herself continually every single day, who cannot communicate her needs, who makes her own and everyone close to her lives a daily, exhausting challenge.
Onna-Otaku
Sorry, I didn't mean to offend anyone. Its sometimes hard to understand my viewpoint on it if you don't know anything about my life. I have lived my whole life with a bipolar mother, who used her illness as an excuse not to be a mother. She always seemed to have an episode whenever it benefitted her the most, for example, she was too ill to hold a real job, but not to go to school full time, or to volunteer. In the meantime, I watched all the drugs she was on make her worse. She now spends her time convincing my brothers how its ok for them to be hellions and be on drugs (illeagal) because they're mentally ill, and trying to tell me I have any number of mental illnesses that day.

So, yeah that is why I view psychiatry the way that I do.
pollystyrene
Well, that's clearly mistreatment of your mom (and as a consequence she's not seeing things clearly if she's telling your brothers it's okay to self-medicate) and psychiatry being used for evil.

But that doesn't mean psychiatry as a whole is bad or doesn't work. The majority of people who seek treatment, be it medicine, therapy or whatever, benefit from it.

Bipolar is a very tricky illness and some people respond to meds, some don't. But it's still an illness that needs to be treated somehow, and studied to improve treatment.
culturehandy
Psychiatry can work, in this case, however, there was not only a gross error, but the parents are also fucked up. Just as in any specialization and with any illness, there is the good and the bad. I know some pretty shitty social workers. And I know that some people need more help than others when it comes to illness.

As for the $500.00 story, because that will help adequately raise a child.Ugh.

Onna-Otaku
I think it said that they give the money after you give the child up for adoption...? Then you get 500$ dollars and the joy of entering yet another child into the system, who god knows what will happen to them?
girlygirlgag
QUOTE(Onna-Otaku @ Mar 24 2007, 11:24 PM) *
Sorry, I didn't mean to offend anyone. Its sometimes hard to understand my viewpoint on it if you don't know anything about my life. I have lived my whole life with a bipolar mother, who used her illness as an excuse not to be a mother. She always seemed to have an episode whenever it benefitted her the most, for example, she was too ill to hold a real job, but not to go to school full time, or to volunteer. In the meantime, I watched all the drugs she was on make her worse. She now spends her time convincing my brothers how its ok for them to be hellions and be on drugs (illeagal) because they're mentally ill, and trying to tell me I have any number of mental illnesses that day.

So, yeah that is why I view psychiatry the way that I do.

That sounds like you mother's doing, not a psychiatrists. Any psychiatrist would tell a metally ill person NOT to take drugs, it exascerbates your illness.
girlygirlgag
ooops
girlygirlgag
Dangit.
yemaya
QUOTE(NewsJunkie @ Mar 22 2007, 12:26 AM) *
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/17694862/
EU and US to begin single market push

The European Union and the US will next month start an ambitious initiative to harmonise regulations, norms and technical standards in up to 40 economic and industrial sectors, laying the cornerstone for a single market between the two regions......................

Very interesting development. Obviously a counterweight to Asian hegemony by this revealing comment:
"
India, China and others are setting us a new competitive challenge. They will continue to do so and develop their own know-how," Ms Merkel told an EU-US conference in Berlin yesterday.
"This is why we must join forces . . . Whoever sets the norms today will secure the markets of tomorrow."

Despite America’s dismal environmental record and questionable domestic practices compared to some European and Scandinavian countries, America has usually been the engine behind research and technological development. Thus I think it may probably aid Europe more, since they are usually 5 years behind America, then America.

Nevertheless, perhaps the Europeans may prompt America to be more amenable to green and away from sucking on the Middle Eastern tit.

Still, America historically, has always been rather reflexively isolationist, and Europe still hasn’t dealt adequately with their own 1000 year old sense of tribalism and chauvinism, thus I am not sure that this proposal will even get off the ground.

ETA on Global Warning. This is not some kind of climatic cycle that can be explained away with a histogram. Humans have actively changed the environment by introducing artificial substances that is affecting the very balance of the climate. Why is that so hard to grasp.
pollystyrene
Follow-up article to the story about the parents who drugged their kid. They blame the psychiatrist, the psychiatrist blames the parents....
culturehandy
I just love it when people step up to the plate and blame each other.
roseviolet
Hillary Clinton receives endorsement from NOW
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070328/ap_on_...linton_feminist

"If you look in the dictionary, the word feminist means someone who believes in equal rights for women in society, in the economy, the political process — generally believes in the equality of women. And I certainly believe in the equality of women," she said.

ginger_kitty
Interesting that she said yes.....but she didn't exactly embrace the word feminist. I feel like she tip-toed around it a bit. I'd really like to hear some one say, "Yes, I am a feminist." (proudly)
lilyblue
10 year olds attack homeless man?

Seriously this is just plain fucked up. I have no words.
pollystyrene
Article about women with fistulas in Africa. Really sad.
culturehandy
How proud their parents must be that there 10 year old children are assaulting people. In this case, I'd say it could be lasck of parenting.

That fistual story is awful. I've heard about this time and time again, but not a lot of people have.
pollystyrene
Why, God, Why?
culturehandy
I only saw that fucking headline, before my jaw dropped.

It's going to be sexy without being sexual? Uhhhhh.
ginger_kitty
A little news of the wierd:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/17933669/
culturehandy
That is weird. What on earth would possess anyone to do that.
girltrouble
That is weird. What on earth would possess anyone to do that.

my guess is a compulsive need to shove things up ones nose. i had a friend like that, although he was prone to smoke things. banana peels, cat hair, crushed sweet tarts. he seemed to think if something was burnt it would get him high....thank god he never met my arsonist friend... lord knows what he would do near a burning building...
ginger_kitty
Heehee, I used to know a guy like that, gt. He would try to smoke anything he heard would get him high bananna peels, catnip.....he snorted pixie stix, too.
culturehandy
I know some guys in high school who snorted those rocket candies.
freckleface7
QUOTE(culturehandy @ Apr 4 2007, 07:48 PM) *
I know some guys in high school who snorted those rocket candies.

you mean pop rocks??

ack!!

snorting pixie stix always made a strange sort of sense to me tho I don't and have never A ) snorted anything but water while swimming inadvertently, and B ) never liked pixie stix either.

go figure?
hoosierman78
Teen sentenced for trying to hire hitman to kill ex's fetus....

So, let me get this straight. He only gets penalized for the attempted manslaughter of the unborn fetus? What about the attempted murder of his ex?? It surely isn't a stretch to think that if someone is going to inflict enough bodily damage on a late-term pregnant woman that there is a very good likelyhood (damn near certain) that she could very well die of those injuries? Where is the attempted murder charge? I understand the whole pleading it out to avoid the cost of a trial and whatnot, but not for violent criminals. He simply wanted to skate having to support the person he helped make. Not really all that different from trying to kill someone to collect their life insurance money.

6.5 years, that's it. Apparently, that's what attempted murder is worth these days. It's pretty damn sad when someone can get put away longer for selling weed than for trying to seriously injure/kill another human being.
culturehandy
I'm pretty sure they are called rocket candies. I know they go by another name. Regardless, they are sugar in tablet form, and they just wanted something to snort so bad, that they chose that.

I particularly like this line; "Young's attorney, Bevan Maxey, said his client is an intelligent young man who got bad advice." Yah think??? Moron.

I guess women are only factories to make babies, so who the hell happens about the woman. Not okay. at. all.

erinjane
QUOTE(culturehandy @ Apr 5 2007, 08:31 AM) *
I'm pretty sure they are called rocket candies. I know they go by another name. Regardless, they are sugar in tablet form, and they just wanted something to snort so bad, that they chose that.

I think they're called smarties in the US. Imagine not being able to have delicious chocolate Canadian smarties.
pollystyrene
Article about a 14-year-old girl who found out her 17-year-old boyfriend was actually a 30-year-old woman.

The state of apathy among America's youth:

"I kind of, like, guessed, but then every time I questioned her, she would get really mad," the girl told KOMO-TV of Seattle on Wednesday, "so I just stopped caring."

ginger_kitty
polly, I was just about to post about that same story. The whole thing was shocking, here's a link with a pic of the 30 year old and video of the interview with the 14 year old:

http://www.katu.com/news/local/6869842.html

I can't believe the parents thought it was okay for the girls "supposed" 17 year old boyfriend to live with thier young daughter, in the first place. But the whole story is wierd.
pollystyrene
It's like a bizarro-world Brandon Teena story.

On a slightly different note, what's with all the ex-boyfriends/husbands killing their former girlfriends/wives? Not like it's anything new, but there was the shooting in Seattle at UW, the one in Atlanta at the CNN building and another one here in Chicago this week; or was it in NYC and I read about it in the Chicago Tribune? The woman's friends/family were trying to convince her to get a restraining order against the guy, but she wouldn't and now she's dead....just a bunch in a week. Very troubling.
culturehandy
Girls GoneWildUpdate

freckleface7
http://news.aol.com/topnews/articles/_a/gi...S00010000000001

not sure I linked it right w/ the new format, but why do they always have to kill things when they "discover" them? sad.gif
pollystyrene
This poor girl...how horrible would it be to not eat or drink for 2 years. I start thinking about food after I haven't eaten in 2 hours!
ginger_kitty
This seems like temporary good news, I wish he would rot in jail:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/18039118/

Polly that's awful! I seriously couldn't imagine not being able to drink or eat, for that long.
nickclick
this is a bit too science-y for me to decipher, so maybe someone can help ....

Pas de Deux of Sexuality Is Written in the Genes

"Women’s brains may be organized to select men who seem likely to provide for them and their children."
so why did i do it with so many losers????
culturehandy
Oh fuck. Nick I agree, I've dated and fucked some real losers...
pollystyrene
Yeah, it would be interesting to see why some women go beyond the run-of-the-mill losers and date/marry/procreate with downright bad, dangerous men. I'm sure it goes back to their childhood or something, but could be interesting if there was a biological reason, like they lacked some enzyme or something.

Use Dr. Bronner's soap like I do? You should read this. Should be interesting to see if the soap was tampered with or what. I've never felt groggy after using it. I hope it's just a punk/hippie conspiracy!
crazyoldcatlady
okay, so imus is a racist, misogynistic cock.
but, i ran across this article today which is a fabulously interesting take on the situation...

http://michellemalkin.com/archives/007286.htm
culturehandy
That is very interesting. Why are people who are outraged by Imus' comments (and rightfully so) not outraged by the stereotypes, hate, and demeaning lyric rap is perpetuating?
girltrouble

i can rattle off a couple of reasons:
1)he's one person, easier to focus on than a bunch of rappers i don't listen to, and have no knoledge of.
2)he's supported by an establishment that even the best selling mc couldn't hope to have: nbc, cbs, msnbc, daily radio, not to mention all the "important" a-list reporters and celebs who come on his show and support his biggotry.
3)he's a more than middle aged man who should know better.
4)he's white. don't forget this is about race. the context for any given black person calling someone a nigga is radically different from a white dude with nbc and it's sponsors condoning it.

nickclick
5) news organizations pay more attention to what old white men are doing, whether good or bad.
6) al sharpton held a news conference about it

i agree, jesse jackson and al sharpton and oprah and everybody else should be condemning rap lyrics, videos and the stereotypes they not only condone but praise. even though imus probably has more corporate sponsors, rap music has more young impressionable listeners.
culturehandy
Cross posted, Don Imus has been fired by CBS because of his comments.

GT and NIck, I agree with your comments. No one every makes a stink about how black women are hypersexualized in Rap videos. Ever.
pollystyrene
No shit.
culturehandy
Did they get a trained monkey to reach that conclusion. Really. I wrote a paper about this in university. And anyone with a brain in their head could've figured that one out.
missladyj
Don't even get me started. I have b een researching abstinence only vs comprehensive sex ed for at least three years and have been designing comphrensive sex ed curriculum as well.

THERE HAS BEEN NO STUDY THAT HAS FOUND ABSTINENCE ONLY TO BE EFFECTIVE! Not one, ever

What has been found is that kids who sign abstinence pledges are 1/3 less likely to use a condom when the DO have sex.

how much more proof do people need!!!

it kills me. I am debating about getting certified to teach health because the teachers at my school do such a shit job and teens actually really want to know about sex and not just be told to not have it.

arggghhhhh!!!!
lilacwine13
Well, this is the president who thinks global warming isn't happening and they need to do more research on it and there were WMDs in Iraq, so I don't think he has the best grasp on reality.

I wish they could teach comprehensive sex ed, I don't think anyone has the right to shove their morality down anyone else's throats. If you want to wait until marriage, that's good for you, but not everyone feels the same way, and don't lie about the other options out there.

I'm glad Imus got fired, he did say something very insulting. However, I just wish I could believe that it will change anyone's attitude towards race and gender in this country.
candycane_girl
I'm sure everyone has already heard about this but there was a shooting at Virginia Tech this morning. It's believed there are now 31 or 32 people dead (I keep reading different numbers) including the shooter. They haven't released his name or whether or not he was shot by police or shot himself.
missladyj
I am glad Imus was fired but I am really sick of everyone blaming it on hip-hop.

Mainstream rap that goes on and on about bling bling, what brand of clothes people are wearing, cars they are driving, champagne they are drinking or who they are screwing is not hip-hop.

Start rant

Hip- hop to me is about resistance to mainstream culture, it is Gill Scott Heron sending a message to the messengers, it is PE, it is KRS-one ,it is Mos Def , it is Black Star, it is Commons' "I used to love H.E. R." , it is intelligent, it is radical, it is positive, it is analytical, it is beautiful. Muthafuckers talkin about consumption , materialism, and disrespecting women is what happened when hip-hop was appropriated and commodified to reinforce racist stereotypes about black men and women. Unfortunately people of all colors have come to consider this bullshit "hip-hop" cuz they haven't sought out the voices of those who really represent hip-hop which is now the underground. and yes, my sound is laid down by the underground.

end rant
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.