Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: This Just In...
The BUST Lounge > Forums > As the World Turns
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24
freckleface7
gt, I appreciate your thoughtful response.
as to some soldiers not getting the benefits they are due, I don't know.
I agree if everything is legit and they are genuinely getting screwed, and if the Army is involved there is most def the chance of that, then what is happening to that group in Mn is wrong and needs to be fixed asap. what I have a problem w/ is the Army making anything happen specifically On Time (to cheat them out of that $). 15 years of this and I'll tell you.. that train just doesn't hit the station hardly ever.
seems like the most unintentional error to their side of all time.

I'll shut up now, really, I will. :x

ps: gt, good to see you again!!
girltrouble
hey freckle! i meant to say something, it's good to see you too. (i lurve you) i don't frequent the letter thread much anymore, but i am glad to see you post as always. and please don't shut up. you should know by now, we like info, even if people have a different point of view. the soldiers involved are in the national guard. does that come under the perview of the army? do you know?

and in this just in news; it seems the bush admin might have been wanting to wiretap americans long before 9/11. very important article, it should have been on the front page, but was strangely buried in the tech section.
linky:
rocky mtn news: quest telecom exec wants to testify about nsa wire tap, judge throws info out.
phobia
GT -- I think the problem with not fact-checking and being complicit in Shrub and Co's abuses goes way, way beyond NPR. It's definitely a problem that's infected ALL of the MSM, IMO.

Freckle, I disagree with you. I don't feel up to a point-by-point rebuttal this early, but you seem to be claiming that being a military wife means you have some special knowledge or understanding about what this administration is up to that other people don't have. I have no doubt that you have firsthand knowledge of what being a military wife is like, but I just don't think you can claim to know better or worse than the rest of us how or why our country has gotten into this mess. If that's not what you were saying, I apologize.

Also, you clearly didn't listen to the NPR stories I linked to. Nobody was slandering the military or the soldiers going through divorces as a result of their deployments.

BTW, if I had to guess why nobody cared during peacetime, my first thought would be that far fewer soldiers were suffering from the various symptoms of PTSD that our soldiers are dealing with as a result of being in somewhere like Iraq.
freckleface7
phobia,
I did not claim to know why we are "in this mess."
I said the mr & I support the action.
very different statements.
and on that note, not speaking for the mr (bc by & large we differ politcally) while I agree that the whole situation has gotten incredibly harry, I still think that we need to continue and fulfull what has begun to aid the peoples of the affected areas. we did not just bomb Japan so long ago & then shoot off down the road the next day.
again, that is My opinion, from one very specific point of being 'just a wife' w/in the military.
it is very hard for me to see or listen to the news (which I honestly try to mostly avoid when the mr is deployed) when they repeatedly fail to show the gains that are happening over there.
yes we've had friends killed over there. yes I KNOW a lot of it seems senseless, but again, speaking personally, the gain is what I specifically choose to focus on.
grim sensationalism is what makes the headlines though.

as for the ptsd, I will agree with you on that.
it certainly has been brought to the forefront moreso now than ever before and the impact on relationships and family's is still being realised.
but again, this is not our first war.
it seems like that goes hand in hand with the trend of being patriotic, like Today PTSD is the cause de celeb', you know?
it's great that attention and care is being shown towards it, bc that hopefully will bring better care over all to those who need it, but it is in no way a new concept.

I appreciate this frank debate/discussion with you phobia, thank you.
phobia
"grim sensationalism is what makes the headlines though."

I have to totally agree with that. As I said, I'm sorry if I misinterpreted you -- this is what I get for posting pre-coffee. A book you might be interested in: called Media Mythmakers by Benjamin Radford. I've met Ben a couple times, and he's hella bright, and very cool. His major thesis is that there's not so much a political bias in the general MSM, but there's a bias towards selling advertising. This leads to all kinds of crappy reporting and other problems. You might find it relevant. I'd offer to send you my copy but it's been long since loaned out to I don't even know who. Plus you should buy it and support Ben!

In terms of what we should do in Iraq now, I don't know that many people who really think we should just leave. I think pretty much everyone knows, deep down inside, that the disaster would be about a million times worse if we left the country in the situation it is in now. But it's kind of hard to focus on the gains when the losses are so great. I think part of what the media is doing in focusing on the losses is trying to make sure people remember that this war is happening to real people, rather than how things were in the past, where it was all like "America's the best!." Also, I think a lot of media types are worried about being accused of being even more in the gubmint's pocket if they focus on the positive strides made in Iraq.

Another thing I think might be happening here is that I don't have the emotional reaction to the media reports like you do, since I don't have such a personal stake (I do have one far away friend in the Marines who's been there several times, but that's fairly distant). I'm sure you'd have an entirely different reaction to this all if your hubby was, like, an historian or an astronaut or something. I think that emotion can make it hard to have a discussion, because you have a lot more invested in this whole situation than someone like me. BUT, that doesn't mean I don't have good points, or that you can or should ignore the evidence that this invasion was never a good-faith effort on the part of the current US administration. But that's not anything I think I'll realistically be able to convince anyone of, so we can agree to disagree.

PS -- for the record, I never claimed you were "just a wife." Yeesh.
freckleface7
phobia,
I'm going to take the high road and recognize and concede that you may be right on with some things you said.
I am emotional about some of this, my inital offense being taken at what I percieved to be a slant against military marriages Period. I did not listen to the npr report.
- can I be unbiased about the rest of it? meh. maybe? probably not?
I think it depends on what day, time, the amount or lack of, contact I've had w/ the mr in relation to the time I read and post here.

that book sounds interesting.
I've thought for awhile now that if you really pay attention to the commercials surrounding broadcasts, and do a bit of digging, you might be able to better understand the particular slant of that cast by connecting the dots. sounds pretty close to what that book theorizes, so yah, I will have to see if I can't get my hands on a copy. thanks.

my last thought on this is how much better our country might be if we were able to do away w/ the separate political parties completely.
restrict the ridiculous amounts of money spent on campaigns, and let it be about who the candidates really are and what actions they have already done to back that up.
Bush's term is almost over.
I too feel like he needs to go and we need a new direction.

again, thanks Phobia, and I promise I'm not the uptight monster I think I have probably come across here. smile.gif
ginger_kitty
Interesting reads I came across:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21162321/site/newsweek/

http://www.journalgazette.net/apps/pbcs.dl...EWS04/710120367

I found the article about abortion rates very informative.
girltrouble
i guess i'm one of the people who thinks we need to get out now.

the simple fact of the matter is that the majority of all the killings in iraq are civilian via terrorist, most of the extremists object to the fact that arab land is being occupied by the west, their tactic is to blow up people, theirs, ours, either neither or both.

an american withdrawl would not, contrary to what we are constantly told, would not make things worse, rather it would remove the reason for terrorists to be shipped there from other countries, leaving nothing but iraqis to work out their issues.

would there be a civil war? more than likely, but no terrorist bombings.

i can understand why people might think that we should stay there. the "we broke it" theory, but if our mere presence increases the body count... we do the civilians a diservice.
faerietails2
(Oops! I accidentally cross-posted this in the green thread, but I meant to put it here.)

I just read this article about how New York City is the single-biggest U.S. destroyer of Amazon rainforests. That's where they get their wood for all the boardwalks, park benches, etc!

"If deforestation continues at its present rate, within four years it will be the single-greatest contributor to climate change, pumping a staggering amount of CO2 into the atmosphere -- more than all the flights in the history of aviation."

Yikes! This is awful.
phobia
GT -- I pretty much agree with you, actually, I just don't think it's a good idea (or feasible) to just pull out without giving the Iraqis any sort of path forward. Does that make sense? I feel like it would be a better idea, and not hurt our "image" so much, if we could help the Iraqis work together to forge some kind of post-US plan. But if they can't figure out how to work together (I'm thinking of parliament here, mind you, not even the terrorists), I don't know how that's possible.

Ginger, here's a link to the Lancet article that your article refers to, in case anyone's interested. Unsafe abortion: the preventable pandemic.
laniethezany

GT - That story about the government wanting to wire tap us way before 9/11 is upsetting but not really surprising. The USA PATRIOT Act was a big topic of conversation when I was in law school. (I just graduated this past May) One of my professors pointed out that one of the scariest things about the Act is that, given how quickly they introduced it and hurried it through Congress, that means it's either what they already had sitting in a drawer just waiting for a climate where it would be passed or it's what they came up with right off the top of their heads. Given additional time to scheme, who knows what else they would have thrown in there.

Just for an added burst of fun, John Ashcroft Jr. (son of the former U.S. attorney general) attended the same law school as me. I didn't have any classes with him, but several of my friends in the year below me did. He was just as scary right wing fundie as his dad.

ETA: I have recently become completely addicted to crocheting, which is rad but makes it difficult to read. I've been looking into books on tape that I can "read" (listen to) while I stitch, but I figure podcasts would be a good way to go as well. Do any of you news-savvy BUSTies have any suggestions? Muchas appreciation.
girltrouble
lanie, congrats on graduating, that's awesome. actually, the patriot act, and many other plans WERE planned before bush even got elected. if you look up the history of neo-cons, there are many papers they wrote that were specifically about many of the post 9/11 events. if you'll look, many of the people who came in with bush worked under nixon. when he got impeached, they brooded, planned, schemed, and when presented with the ventuilqist dummy that is our commander-in-chief, they saw their chance and took it. 9/11 was just a happy coincidence/perfect excuse for them to seek unlimited, unchecked power for the executive branch. these guys don't believe in our republic or democracy, and the certainly don't believe in checks and balances, after all, they've been using the constitution as toilet paper since they took this to the supreme court.

if you can read naomi wolf's new book if you really want to be creeped out.

here are two of my best/favorite radio programs/podcasts. along with democracy now, the best news in this country.

between the lines great interviews/info.
counterspin super snarky news crit, and great info/interviews from the fairness and accuracy in reporting people.

phobia:
our image cannot be salvaged by the morass in iraq. they are convinced we intend to occupy the country, that we are on an anti-muslem crusade. we do not do anything but confirm their worst fears when we build permenent bases or or our bigget embassy, and neglect basic services for the iraqi people. bush and his ilk are intent on running the government into the ground. they have very little interest in finding a way to fix iraq. they would rather pass it on to the next (probably democrat) administration, so they can use it as political fodder to get back into the white house. quick-- who was the president who started the vietnam war? chances are you remember the person who ended it, and they usually take the blame for all the shit in the war too.

i also have to say about this blackwater business, if we can't find enough people to run a war with our military, then we ought not be fighting one. if we need more people we should re-instate the draft. it's not that i say this with glee, but if a war has the moral cause we really believe in, we should all sacrifice, not just our soldiers. if we can't stomach seeing our brothers, fathers, off to war, again, we ought not be fighting.
phobia
Oy, the conservatives are scary. GT, I pretty much agree with you, but my point was more that I'm hopeful that there are ways we can withdraw without doing *much* additional damage to our reputation. Not that I think the current administration of egotistical fratboys cares about our reputation! God what deluded fuckwits. I just can't even express my anger anymore...

Democracy Now is one of the best shows on the radio! Although we don't get it here in Syracuse, the Finger Lakes NPR station carries it, which is awesome because I can listen when I'm off working in those areas. Other podcasts...hm, I really only listen to the Splendid Table and Wait, Wait, Don't Tell Me! Fresh Air has podcasts available, if you're interested in that sort of thing and you can stomach Terry Gross's rediculous star-struck idiot questioning.

There's all kinds of podcasts floating around, though. It shouldn't be too hard to find ones that cater to your interests.
faerietails2
Oooh, GT, I just met Naomi Wolf a couple of days ago! Her book is fantastic. She mention how she's now on The List ever since she started travelling to promote the book and gets searched everytime she flies.
laniethezany

Thanks for the suggestions re: podcasts. My problem isn't that I can't find enough stuff that sounds interesting - I tend to find too much. So having an endorsement from someone who's heard a particular podcast helps me narrow down all the choices.

faerietails, your mention of The List made me think of posting about The Green Scare. That is some seriously scary stuff. (Quick summary - there was some legislation passed a while back that was supposedly aimed at preventing environmental terrorism, but "terrorism" was defined to include all kinds of peaceful political activity and, of course, does NOT include the wide-scale environmental havoc wreaked by large corporations. This new trend in going after activists who express dissent with governmental policy was coined the "green scare" because of the parallels to the McCarthy era "red scare" in the 1950s).

While I don't personally know the person, a friend-of-a-friend is being prosecuted under this legislation. Hearing the progression of the investigation and grand jury proceedings has been terrifying.

Edited for legibility issues vis a vis font color. Is this better? smile.gif
pepper
yay! totally visible, thanks!
LoveMyPugs
A student wrote a "threatening" message on the wall in the bathroom. I don't know what it was but it was significant enough for the school to consider closing and to call in police and dogs. When I arrived at school they were handing out flyers and telling everyone that ID badges needed to be displayed at all times. It was a little scary. I guess for me that was the closest to home (school) scenario I've ever experienced. I know it's nothing like what other students have experienced but it was scary. Can't imagine how I'd feel if it was something significant like an actual attack of some kind happened.
girlygirlgag
Sometimes it is so hard to discern if it is a serious threat. With what just happened in Cleveland (BTW, are any of you as sick of the media clinging to the GOTH thing as I am?) you don't want to take anything lightly. BUT, kids know when things are heated and may do something liek that just for that kind of reaction without any truly nefarious intentions at all.

I guess it is always better to err on the side of caution. Stay safe and keep your eyes and ears open.
missladyj
I work in a school and a couple of years ago a kid phoned in a bomb threat and we went to lockdown. Which is the post Columbine plan that our school district came up with
it was pretty scary situation but turned out to be a hoax.

Glad you are okay Pugs!!
phobia
Jeez. So glad I graduated pre-Columbine. Our school regularly had bomb threats, and none of them were real. We were always evacuated and marched to the junior high gym and instead of sitting in class got to flirt and sit around and gossip and stuff. The way things are going, schools will soon be no better than kiddie prisons. Yeesh. People need to understand the reality of the threats they face. I'm not saying everyone should just ignore everything, but really, stuff like people in Bumblefuck, Idaho worrying about terrorist attacks, or that Jane is giving kids advil in study hall, really needs to be examined rationally and coolheadedly. Living in a climate of constant terror is what has led us to elect Bush again (!!!) and willingly give up our civil liberties. We all need to do some serious examining of the threats we face, and honestly and rationally (sorry to use the word twice but I can't think of a good synonym) and determine a) if they ARE even threats, and B ) how to best deal with them in ways that will produce results, not just expensive beurocratic nightmares (TSA, I'm looking at you!) that treat average people like criminals and STILL let the bad guys through.

Sorry. Rant over. You may now continue with your regularly scheduled programming biggrin.gif
ginger_kitty
All the post-Columbine issues kids have to deal with seems overwhelming. Like phobia, I am seriously glad I finished school before all these issues/scares have come up. My school only had one bomb threat the in the four years, I atteneded and that was just a prank.

Came in to post this:
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21348319/
LoveMyPugs
thank you for the concern missladyj. I appreciate it even though I wasn't coming on here for that it's nice to know that busties care. It was just a little close to home if you know what I mean. Makes you think about things a bit. I mean shit it could have been, "I hate Del Tech and I wish it would burn to the ground" and yet they contemplate closing the school. Me personally, I can't deny contemplating buring the mathlab down myself (fucking trigonometry). laugh.gif Seriously, it was a freaky day.

GGG - if the goth thing pisses you off you should seriously read about the West Memphis 3 such a fucked up situation and makes me sad for young people who are into goth or metal like Mr. Pug and I were when we were in high school. it's a scary world.
erinjane
QUOTE(LoveMyPugs @ Oct 17 2007, 03:06 PM) *
A student wrote a "threatening" message on the wall in the bathroom. I don't know what it was but it was significant enough for the school to consider closing and to call in police and dogs. When I arrived at school they were handing out flyers and telling everyone that ID badges needed to be displayed at all times. It was a little scary. I guess for me that was the closest to home (school) scenario I've ever experienced. I know it's nothing like what other students have experienced but it was scary. Can't imagine how I'd feel if it was something significant like an actual attack of some kind happened.

This exact same thing happened at my university 3 weeks ago. There was a threatening message on the bathroom wall, the specifics of which were not released, it only said that something would happen on a particular wednesday. My class that day was cancelled and of course nothing ended up happening. I don't think anyone really thought something would happen, but it still puts fear in you that you can't even go to school without looking over your shoulder. We have hightened security measures and a couple of weeks ago they were checking everyone's bags as we entered.

A few days after our incident two high schools had copycat incidents. What kind of idiot thinks it's funny to write threats on a wall and send a school into lockdown?
girltrouble
glad you are ok pugs!!!!

lanie: the government spying on peaceniks is nothng new, in the 90's they were spying on grannies for peace or some such, and they thought MLK should be spied on, dispite his resolute non-violent stance.

faerie, i lurves you. i am so jealous... she came to seattle and was on the radio. very interesting. i can't wait to read her book, since i seem to be digging on political non-fiction right now...

i was also going to mention the world but you can only podcast portions of it, and not the news parts. its too bad too. it found undercover journalists in burma after the crackdown while everyone else got lazy and made things up. they also talk about world politics in with a complexity that is better than most bbc programs. (case in point: a piece about chinese outsourcing to africa, and charges of racism and abuse, and the larger context of china's support of african countries). but if you love obscure world music, download their music podcasts, (global hit), they are amazing.

i also like as it happens
which is fun and playful news, and i love the hosts' voices.
treehugger
Pugs, how scary!

And, lookie here. Guess who I work for. Blah.
girlygirlgag
QUOTE(LoveMyPugs @ Oct 17 2007, 11:18 PM) *
thank you for the concern missladyj. I appreciate it even though I wasn't coming on here for that it's nice to know that busties care. It was just a little close to home if you know what I mean. Makes you think about things a bit. I mean shit it could have been, "I hate Del Tech and I wish it would burn to the ground" and yet they contemplate closing the school. Me personally, I can't deny contemplating buring the mathlab down myself (fucking trigonometry). laugh.gif Seriously, it was a freaky day.

GGG - if the goth thing pisses you off you should seriously read about the West Memphis 3 such a fucked up situation and makes me sad for young people who are into goth or metal like Mr. Pug and I were when we were in high school. it's a scary world.

I remember that. They dumped those bodies about two, three hours south of here.

I graduated years before Columbine we had one bomb threat, and it was a senior prank. Though, I never understood why they coralled everyone in the gym? SO we could all blow up together?
LoveMyPugs
QUOTE(girlygirlgag @ Oct 18 2007, 07:53 AM) *
Though, I never understood why they coralled everyone in the gym? SO we could all blow up together?

I never understood this. In all honesty, I'd prefer to be on my own barricaded in a classroom with a few other students then coralled in a gym with the everyone else where I'm free picking for the psycho student with the gun. I just saw 28 weeks later last night and they do this with the civilians when there is a new outbreak. The shove them all into a room and then one infected guy gets in and they all start turning within seconds of him biting them. the people who were spread out and on their own survived.
culturehandy
There was a threat recently at one of the Universities in this city. The police were looking through everyones stuff, they were at all the doors, etc. The reason that we see Goth kids, often do things like this, is because they aren't considered, by their peers, to be "normal". So they get bullied. Unfortunately everyone has their breaking point.

While I'm certainly not saying that taking lives is okay, I am understand that there are deep seeded issues which drive someone to kill their classmates. No one ever seems to deal with this. The thought is, Okay, well, the kids is goth, they must be into devil worship and they were plotting do this to become one of satan's minions. That sounds a little rediculous doesn't it?

LoveMyPugs
ch - i was bullied relentlessly in junior high school (before i was into any goth or metal) and i won't deny contemplating bring a gun to school and blowing away the two girls who did the bullying. those fucking bitches would have had it coming. i still have issues that are so deep rooted in me about them that i can't even bring myself to talk to a therapist about it. my family and mr. pugs wishes i would but i just can't do it. i dream about it at times and they are usually really intense but when i talk about it i just cry and get pissed and hate them, my parents, the school, the other students and myself. i was near the breaking point many times. glad i survived that terrible time in my life. they should thank god everyday that i had the self control i did and that they survived as well. IMO we don't need people like them on this planet. Sorry for that sick little rant there. I have issues.
culturehandy
Pugs, I'm so sorry to hear about your high school experience. Unfortunately, not everyone has the coping mechanisms you do. Some people reach a point where they just snap and something happens. Unfortunately innocents people are harmed or killed in the process. It's hard to approach parents about things too. I suspect that sometimes there may also be issues at home.
LoveMyPugs
ch - my parents should have removed me from the school i was in. they admit it now but only because they see what's happened to me and to us as a family because of it. they made a decision though and even though i think it was wrong they were the parents and did what they thought was right. whatever. when i think back to how i coped with that whole thing i can't put my finger on what got me through it. in my case there were definantly issues at home as well. there was something that got me throught it and never let me go over the edge. i wish i knew what it was. not to toot my own horn or anything but i guess i was just a tough fucking kid. i'm not anymore. the littlest amount of stress will send me on an emotional rollercoaster. it's terrible. i really must get some help someday. i just need to break down and admit it to myself that i'm not over it and need to talk about it with a professional. i'm stubborn and hard at heart.
laniethezany

I definitely echo everyone's "glad I graduated pre-Columbine" sentiments. In high school, my group of friends and I were into alternative music, wore flannel shirts over our political or obscure band t-shirts everyday and all sported trench coats. This was before grunge hit so we were labeled freaks and actually called "The Flannels" by our classmates. In truth we were all hippie-dippie pacifists, environmentalists, animal rights activists, etc. But something about the movie Heathers spoke to us, and we jokingly maintained a list of people we'd save if we ever blew up our high school. Anyone who knew us at all would know we'd never actually carry out such a plan, but in the post-Columbine days we would have been seen as a serious threat, I'm sure.

GT - I saw the stuff about the peace grannies in a documentary about how easy it is to end up on the terrorist watch list these days. I've always been leery of the government's ability to spy on people, probably because my paternal grandparents were members of the Communist Party while McCarthy was on his rampage. This information was kept from me until fairly recently - my dad finally spilled it after he took me to see Good Night and Good Luck. But the distrust of the government still got through to me, even if I didn't previously completely understand why I wasn't supposed to trust them. I think my mom actually thought that when I decided to go to law school this signaled a turning point where I'd become more like her side of the family - but I actually became even more radicalized.
phobia
"While I'm certainly not saying that taking lives is okay, I am understand that there are deep seeded issues which drive someone to kill their classmates. "

Yeah, totally. I remember thinking when I saw the video of those Columbine boys was "man, they look just like me and my friends." I definitely can identify with hating the people who bully you so much that you want to just destroy them, but like Pugs, I manged to get through ok. With me it was also Junior High -- by the time high school rolled around, everyone had kind of grown up and there really wasn't bullying anymore the way it had been in like 7-8th grades. But yeah, someone should have noticed these kids were in such trouble -- and it doesn't help that the school administrations often blame the victim of bullying, IME. Also, people need to understand more about how and why people bully -- it's NOT the kids with the low self-esteem! Blaming the victim for the problem, making it the responsibility of the victim to NOT get bullied, and reacting to the problem instead of trying to prevent it.... hmm.... sounds awfully familiar....
LoveMyPugs
QUOTE(phobia @ Oct 18 2007, 11:10 AM) *
Blaming the victim for the problem, making it the responsibility of the victim to NOT get bullied, and reacting to the problem instead of trying to prevent it.

Just the way of the fucked up world sweetheart. Sucks doesn't it?!?! Makes me worried for my future children if they are ever bullied. How will I handle it? Having the flashbacks from my experiences in 7th and 8th grade.
culturehandy
Phobia, I absolutely agree.

In such extreme instances, there is more than one issue. It's just sad that one particular group of people always get the blame.
freckleface7
QUOTE(LoveMyPugs @ Oct 18 2007, 11:24 AM) *
Just the way of the fucked up world sweetheart. Sucks doesn't it?!?! Makes me worried for my future children if they are ever bullied. How will I handle it? Having the flashbacks from my experiences in 7th and 8th grade.

my frecklette starts high school next year and let me tell you, this whole conversation here is freaking me the hell out.
not that it's anything new, oh maud no.
I've been talking to her about guns in schools sinse she was 6 or 7, even before the mr thought it was neccessary and he deals w/ guns every day. what a shitty thing to be right about though.

right after the last attacks at a school, I /we went over it all w/ her again, what to do if you see someone w/ a gun or knife (depends on where you are/what the situation is- do you tell a teacher or just hide yourself?) and then as she was leaving the house that next morning, I felt so much dread at her going.. the last attacks weren't even anywhere close to us here but they could have been. it could have happened anywhere.
and so I remember yelling at her ' run in a zig zag frecklette!' as she was walking out the door.
she is pretty blaise about it; her school does drills, they practice, they talk, but how much good does it really do? the kids that are going to snap are probably so disenfranchised w/ the school establishment that all of that is just a joke to them. it's another example of their own powerlessness by being ordered to do something like that.
she's not in the "in crowd" at school and I secretly hope that will save her rather than make her that much more of a target. maud forgive me for saying that and I feel sick to my stomach but she is just a good girl. not the star sportsplayer, not the homecoming queen, but a good and genuninely kind person, the kind I am so very proud is my daughter and very often, better than I deserve.
as a mother you cannot help but play those type of scenarious out in your head, and then feel ashamed for the thoughts in the first place.

I don't know.. sometimes I feel a lot of guilt for bringing frecklette into this world as fucked up as it is.
that child is my HEART and I would die for her many many times over w/ no thought other than wondering if I've taught or loved her enough yet, but it's scary as hell to be a parent today.

to get a grip and reign my own paranoia in to check, I have approached the mr's Army unit about doing a pro-active School Saftey course for the teens in our group. (a separate program can be developed for the younger children in time too.) I'm thinking something situationally based and yah, realistic to a degree. then the second half would be w/ a psychologist, to cover the emotional/psychological effects of all of it, not just the immediate personal saftey but how to cope w/ the news when there is another report of it happening. it's stressful and I very much think it does shape or affect a childhood.

I can't go to school or keep her safe 24/7, but I Can give her as many tools as possible, short of arming her w/ a weapon or keeping her home. (both thoughts that have occured to me. unsure.gif )

= end rant.= I'm sorry everyone, this just hits close to home for me.
pepper
freckle don't appologize. little is only in first grade and chili pepperette just turned 16 weeks yesterday and this conversation is making me want to shadow them for the rest of their lives while i homeschool them too.
i don't remember shit being so fucked up when i was a kid. bullying sucked then too, i was the big eyed, curly haired, gangly, oddly dressed child of hippie parents with a weird lunch who read actual books on purpose for maude's sake, i was picked on Galore! but i don't remember it being like this. teen aged girls sure weren't killing each other in the river way back then, that's for sure!

my kids are getting martial arts training and that's that.
phobia
Frekle -- at least you are doing something PROactive, though, which can help you feel a little more in control. A lot of parents don't/can't/won't even do that ... they just make their kids into paranoid basket cases instead of actually giving them coping skills. And give the little one some credit -- I'm sure she's absorbed plenty of your lessons (you did say she was kind and caring a good student so I'm sure she's picked up plenty!), so at some point you'll just have to trust her to make her way in the world in the right way, even when bad things happen.

Pepper -- you sound like me and my friends growing up, until we got all goth in high school. Then we were still weird-looking, and still read books, but were at least a little menacing. Can you say protective coloring wink.gif ?

Anyway, I think one of the most important things parents can do for a kid being bullied is BELIEVE THEM and take their side, cause the administrators sure won't. And make sure they know you'll always be on their side, because I do remember being afraid to tell my mom what was happening because I was really worried (totally unneccesarily) that she'd think it was all my fault somehow. Kids who get bullied definitely have non-standard ways of thinking, it's not always rational, you know?
culturehandy
Meanwhile back at the fishbowl.

Freckle, I'd be scared if I had a child, too. I know at work that I get worried that someone is going to come in so angry with their worker...you just never know.
pepper
wtf. you know i have to ignore that shit. who posts anything that long yo? yikes.
girlygirlgag
QUOTE(Scary World @ Oct 18 2007, 10:58 PM) *
blah blah blah

d00d, you need to losen up your tinfoil hat. rolleyes.gif
pollystyrene
Suck it, Phyllis Schlafly! laugh.gif
kittenb
I always knew we were sexier that non-feminists.

Polly, I am jelous. No one will ever make a story called "Jennifer, Daughter of the Devil." "Jennifers," on TV shows, are always sweet little women. I need a good villanous Jennifer!

Oh, and as for that LONG ASS POST, at least I am warned as that will probably be the topic of converstation next week in my office. My coworker loves to talk about that kind of thing.
culturehandy
I read about the feminists and sex thing in The Globe & Mail yesterday.
nickclick
they needed to fund a study to tell us feminists are more satisfied? you mean, people who make conscious and positive life choices enjoy their lives more? uh duh.
pollystyrene
QUOTE(kittenb @ Oct 19 2007, 09:16 AM) *
Polly, I am jelous. No one will ever make a story called "Jennifer, Daughter of the Devil." "Jennifers," on TV shows, are always sweet little women. I need a good villanous Jennifer!

I certainly don't know what you're talking about, Jennifer! tongue.gif
laniethezany

Catherine Roraback, the attorney who argued Griswold v. Connecticut (a landmark Supreme Court case dealing with the right to contraception), died today. She was amazing.
faerietails2
QUOTE(girltrouble @ Oct 17 2007, 07:50 PM) *
[color=#ff0066]faerie, i lurves you. i am so jealous... she came to seattle and was on the radio. very interesting. i can't wait to read her book, since i seem to be digging on political non-fiction right now...

she was great. very outgoing! well since you're on a non-fiction kick, you should check out susan faludi's new book, too. good stuff!
faerietails2
Oops! Sorry for the double post!
girltrouble
lol... we're doing the same catalog. she was on the radio too, as well as naomi klein, klein's book seems to go really well with naomi wolf's book....
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.