Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: This Just In...
The BUST Lounge > Forums > As the World Turns
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24
persimmon_grrrl
thanks, anarch! reading it now...
culturehandy
Teehee, GT you liked it.
girltrouble
*blushes*
auralpoison
Russia/Georgia. Oy vey. Where to begin?

I have a very good friend that has been living off/on in Georgia for the past three years. He's kind of important. Like, he's dined with the president & Minister of Defense (Whom he said was BONKERS.) type of important. The past forty-eight hours he's been acting as an American switchboard of sorts for friends of his in Georgia trying to contact friends/family elsewhere. He's normally twitchy, but today he was downright agitated.

Georgia is a VERY DANGEROUS place to live. Civil unrest out the wazoo. The whole area is a clusterfuck. There is the main Georgian Republic, but there are three autonomous provinces within Georgia, Ajara, South Ossetia & Abkhazia. The Russians helped them get a foothold on their independence from Georgia & made a lot of them Russian citizens. This pissed off the Georgians, who in turn pissed off the Russians by trying to regain the area back in '04. The Russians chose to hang around in a "peace keeping" capacity after that. So this tension has built & built over time. About a month or so ago, there was some kind of incident in S. Ossetia that left some Russian "peace keepers", um, dead. So the Russians started flying bombers over S. Ossetia. A few days ago the Georgians went in & tried to seize control, leading the Russians to, well, overreact & bomb the fuck out of some places on the interior of Georgia itself, not just in the autonomous region.

My friend said this isn't so much about Georgia's natural resources as Russia's attempt to regain footing they lost (Hey, if they can take Georgia, who says they won't go after Azerbaijan next?), so they are hitting Georgia where it hurts: in the pocket. Factories, oil facilities, a port on the Black Sea, etc. The Russians also struck near the Baku-Tbilisi-Ceyhan oil pipeline, thankfully no leakage has been reported. Today they bombed Tblisi, the capital, taking out an aircraft factory. Something like 2000 civilians reported dead since Friday, but tallies vary.

Basically, your average Georgian on the street is pertrified. Remember the Russians & Chechnya? Yeah, EIGHT years & the Russians bombed them back into the stone age. They are even more petrified about receiving American aid (The Georgians have been helping us in Iraq.) because that will REALLY REALLY REALLY piss the Russians off, likely getting them bombed into the stone age as well.
konphusion26
Attention all busties, in case anyone ever doubted that Pres. Bush was an idiot who wrongfully and regularly misrepresents the USA - Here's further proof he's the dumbest person on the planet. I hope that people don't look at him and think all Americans are like him. It's shameful that he's been chosen (twice) to lead this country.

Yet people worry whether Obama will be a good leader, due to his "lack of experience", or his "judgement". **shaking my head** dry.gif
girltrouble
yay! rachel maddow, liberal smarty-pants and one of my fave talkshow host on air america is gonna be getting a show on msnbc following countdown in sept. whooooooo!

the best, kon, is d.l. hughley's take on america being ready for a black president.

aural the thing that gets me is that mccain seems to be jockeying for a return of the cold war, if not outright war with russia. long before this current dust up, he was suggesting kicking the ruskies out of the g8 for no good reason. it's like both he and bush want to stick their fingers in russia's eye, and then wonder why they are pissed off. and it's hilarious that mccain talks big about things america can do to russia, when essentially we've been neutered. most european countries get their gas from them so they've got them by the balls, and we're stretched to our limit fighting two stupid useless wars in the middle east. i've said it before, when russia went broke and privatized all of their assets, it's only a matter of time before the pendulum swings the other way and it's the us goes broke and we have our own oligarchs(if we don't already).
auralpoison
bump
olivarria
Okay, I know this news item is a year old, but it caught my attention:

<a href="http://blog.wired.com/27bstroke6/2007/09/ca-edges-closer.html" target="_blank">
CA Edges Closer to Banning Forced RFID in Humans
</a>

Really? We need laws in America to prevent people from being forcibly chipped? *shakes head in disbelief*
You'd think it would just be assumed, or common sense, right? I'm not a crazy conspiracy theorist (okay, maybe I am a little), but I am a privacy and civil rights advocate, and i think it's insane that we now need laws to protect us from being chipped against our will. Just saying.
culturehandy
*snorts*
girltrouble
what's hilarous is there is a dianetics ad on that page too.
deschatsrouge
It reminds me of that Southpark episode about Scientology followers.
olivarria
To whom it may concern: here is the correct link to my earlier post:

CA Edges Closer to Banning Forced RFID in Humans
culturehandy
GT, I never noticed that.
freckleface7
by all means, let's further sexualize our children bc the 0-9 mo's demographic is severly under tapped:

http://video.aol.com/video/babies-in-heels...8840x1200541567

idiocy. mad.gif
pollystyrene
I love the people in the comments who are like "they're just shoes! they have soft heels so they don't interfere with them walking!" Really, because it looks like that big stupid clumsy heel is forcing the kid to walk all cock-eyed. (Cock-eyed, indeed!) I'm sure that's great for their development- right up there with those walker things that stunt their muscular development. I'm not even going to mention how much this reinforces stereotypes and sets us back.
freckleface7
that's exactly what I was thinking polly- those big stupid soft heels bend funny & don't allow the baby to put her foot firmly on the ground, which is essential for building leg development to start walking.
they are shipping boxes of these things to put in the gift baskets for the emmy's so all the stars w/ babies can get them- which means they will probably become wildly trendy w/ mass society who cannot think for themselves.

the exploitation of the babies is what got me first, but in "fairness" they did say they were working on something similar for boy babies.
oh boy. what can be equally gender sexist and demoralizing? maybe a tricked out baby pimp outfit w/ bling?
babies pants already sometimes fall down when they have droopy drawers!

I can hardly wait. dry.gif
deschatsrouge
I want a pair for my fake baby, but my fake baby will never walk.
culturehandy
I personally would love to see baby boys in pink high heels.
girltrouble
pervert.
thenewrussia
What in the world? The women who made these shoes must think they're a joke too. Based on the name of the things Heelarious. They know there are people out here who would buy them. Just think, someone actually approved this idea so the women could sell these shoes. Lets twist the babies ankles before they can develop. Ridiculous. Put some regular shoes on the kid and let them run around and play.
treehugger
Wow, talk about reinforcing gender stereotypes.
culturehandy
I'd like to know who actually buys this crap for their daughters.
auralpoison
I don't know why they're so surprised . . .
Christine Nectarine
QUOTE(auralpoison @ Sep 19 2008, 07:34 PM) *

"Siddiqi said that in the domestic violence cases, the advantage was that marriages were saved and couples given a second chance. "

wow, AP, that's awful. yay, a second chance to abuse your wife!
this was an issue a few years ago in Ontario, but it was determined that Sharia law would not be allowed.
"There will be no Shariah law in Ontario. There will be no religious arbitration in Ontario. There will be one law for all Ontarians," McGuinty told The Canadian Press.
faerietails
*jaw drops*

anarch, that's awful! i hadn't even heard about that dvd (although, in my defense, i've been fairly internetless for the past 2 weeks). thanks for posting!
pollystyrene
Cod that's awful. Are they doing anything to try to figure out who did it?
anarch
Doesn't sound like it. "No evidence of a hate crime"!

Racialicious observation: Only Muslims Can Be "Terrorists"

Comment #2 implies that Dayton police generally don't give a shit about investigating this kind of thing.

Echoes a conversation I had with a registered Republican the other day - one who actually thinks, and says that McCain has disappointed him, so he's voting for Obama. I'd said that I worried about the Bush Admin releasing an Osama Bin Laden video the week before the election, or releasing news of some terrorists captured or something similarly fearmongering. He said "Well they captured those guys who were planning to assassinate Obama recently..." "Yeah, but mainstream media hasn't published anything about that, and anyway that's not what a lot of Americans think of as terrorism," I said, "They think terrorism is only done by Muslims to white people."
girltrouble
you do know that only white people can be victims, don't you?
it's true. minorities only play the victim.
freckleface7
QUOTE(anarch @ Sep 30 2008, 09:34 PM) *

oh my gosh I got that dvd in the Sunday paper a few weeks ago!!
have not watched it however, as I was afraid just by the cover art on it.

in all honesty ( as I think everyone here knows I try to be & speak from the heart) I admit to some conflicting feelings due to the mr's career and the terrible terrible things therein, but yet my brother is a recent convert to muslim also and we are learning a very different side to things as well and I am at heart, a peace-believing woman.

harming those children (or any innocents for that matter, adults, children, animals, what have you) is beyond reprehnsible mad.gif .

when we lived in both Panama & Germany, several times there were threats against the family's of soldiers and in the early days I was so scared and did not understand why anyone would want to hurt Us- the innocent family's who did not carry the guns.
now unfortunately I understand better.
kittenb
You know, everytime I go back to Dayton, where I am from, people in Chicago seem confused as to why I get so cranky. I know that no everyone in the Dayton area is like that, but that story, while horrible, represents a lot of anger and stupidity that permeates that freaking town. mad.gif sad.gif
crazyoldcatlady
i was back home in the O-H not too long ago, and the 'rents had received that dvd in the mail, and they were all, "oh, we heard this is a scary documentary". i could tell from across the room that it was propaganda. my mother, god love her, is my feminist role model, but i still can't stop her from watching fox news.
anarch
More from Sepia Mutiny: The Council on American Islamic Relations is calling for the Federal Election Commission to launch a probe into the Clarion Fund, who, if found to be electioneering will be in clear violation of their tax-deductible status. The Military Religious Freedom Foundation is filing a lawsuit against the Department of Defense, for using the name and authority of an official U.S. military institution not only to validate an attack the religion of Islam, but to influence a political campaign.

So what can you do? If you are in one of the swing states and your newspaper sent you this DVD, let them know that you are unhappy about it. You can visit The American Muslim for more resources and information on the Obsession video. And finally, the next few days mark the end of Ramadan - you can tell a Muslim “Eid Mubarak”, today.
tommynomad
Some good news on the road toward the end of barbarism:
http://secondinnocence.blogspot.com/2008/1...-in-uganda.html
Thursday, October 16, 2008
FGM Ban in Uganda
It isn't a country-wide ban, but its a promising start:

A community in eastern Uganda has banned the deeply rooted practice of female genital mutilation (FGM), an official has said...

"The community decided that it was not useful, that women were not getting anything out of it, so the district council decided to establish an ordinance banning it,
starship
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/27484976/

this made me feel sick
lananans
starship - I just cried
pollystyrene
God, that's sick. This is what happens when you mix poverty and religious extremism.
freckleface7
I read that in last Sunday's paper, then read it out loud to the mr and frecklette, and then gave her the hugest hug while semi lecturing her on the massive good fortune of living where she does. then I hugged her again.
what a tragedy.

what's your take on this ? http://www.parentdish.com/2008/11/06/dutch...0403x1200824951

frankly? I'm all in favor of it.
they are only looking at a 2 year perioud (less than what a typical iud's duration) and it's not as if they are wanting to Sterilize these women either; just give them a time to ideally get their shit together.
crazyoldcatlady
QUOTE(freckleface7 @ Nov 6 2008, 10:51 PM) *
I read that in last Sunday's paper, then read it out loud to the mr and frecklette, and then gave her the hugest hug while semi lecturing her on the massive good fortune of living where she does. then I hugged her again.
what a tragedy.
what's your take on this ? http://www.parentdish.com/2008/11/06/dutch...0403x1200824951

they are only looking at a 2 year perioud (less than what a typical iud's duration) and it's not as if they are wanting to Sterilize these women either; just give them a time to ideally get their shit together.

i think anytime you start putting regulations on a woman's body, it undermines her as a whole. are there shitty mothers out there? yes. should we force "sterilization", even temporary? no. there are side effects to all birth control methods, too (even the pill can cause some nasty upleasant to lifethreatening ones). what if these mother's contraception fails? do they go to jail? get their kids taken away in that situation?

and what constitutes "unfit" mother? ("judicial intervention": did they beat them or just not hug them enough?) why does the onus fall on the mother, and not the father?

i know the article pertains to the dutch, but in the good ole' american spirit, keep your laws off my body
kittenb
I am not sure where to put this so here it goes: Nader asks if Obama is going to be an "Uncle Tom."

It's pretty suprising to watch. Even the Fox News guy is kind of like, "Dude?! What is wrong with you?"
erinjane
QUOTE(freckleface7 @ Nov 6 2008, 09:51 PM) *
what a tragedy.

I'm with COCL. This sounds pretty scary to me. Sure, it's not permanent, but it's forcing a woman to do something to her body that she may not want to. I agree there are 'bad' mothers out there but I don't think this is a good answer. If anything, it sounds like a bandaid solution because they don't know how else to take care of the situation. I also don't like that this puts all the blame of 'bad' parenting on mothers - this just borders on way too many slippery slopes for me.
Divala
Dare I say it, but I'd be in favor of this, too. Where I work, women are constantly getting pregnant by men who's names they don't even know. At least half the cases that come past my desk end up going nowhere because they don't know anything about the man who's child they bore. And then they go on welfare with that child, and it costs the taxpayers a lot of money to financially raise their mistake. They keep doing this over and over, always having an infant in the home and never being able to go out and work because daycare assistance is so hard to come by (seriously, there's an 18-month waiting list where I work). It's a cycle that perpetuates itself. Maybe if these women were forced to not have any more children for a couple years (or ever) and get their shit straight, it'd help them get off welfare and would suck up a lot less taxpayer money.

I can also see the point of keeping laws off women's bodies, but at the same time, having a bunch of kids and not being able to raise them properly and provide for them is bordering on malicious to the system that tries to keep people afloat, who's resources are stretched enough.

I could go on about this for days, about 15-year-old girls who make pacts with their girlfriends to get pregnant over the summer, about women who get pregnant specifically for the welfare benefits of an extra body in their house, about women who do really stupid shit when they get drunk, and all the men who take advantage of them, but I won't.
nohope
I agree the focus on mothers is bad.

But I do think it is a good idea to outlaw, bad parents both male and female form having children. How they go about that is there business. But if they have a child, the state could impose a fine, jail time and or counseling on those who break the law.

The idea we can do whatever we want to our bodies regardless of what it does to others, is in direct opposition to the idea of liberty.

Having children, raiding them to be anti social, effects me, my health, my finances, my well being. In short having children is really no different than smoking. yes you are destroying your lungs, but the second hand smoke effects all the non-consenting people around you.

We need a more social view of children than what we have, as an opportunity, a liability, and a responsibility.
freckleface7
QUOTE(nohope @ Nov 7 2008, 04:48 PM) *
I agree the focus on mothers is bad.
But I do think it is a good idea to outlaw, bad parents both male and female form having children. How they go about that is there business. But if they have a child, the state could impose a fine, jail time and or counseling on those who break the law.
The idea we can do whatever we want to our bodies regardless of what it does to others, is in direct opposition to the idea of liberty.
Having children, raiding them to be anti social, effects me, my health, my finances, my well being. In short having children is really no different than smoking. yes you are destroying your lungs, but the second hand smoke effects all the non-consenting people around you.

We need a more social view of children than what we have, as an opportunity, a liability, and a responsibility.

that's more or less how I feel too. - look at the last posting about that young girl being stoned in Somilia.

we (in the international sense) need more advocates for the children. they don't ask to be born nor do they have any voice when they are "growing" in these really shitty dysfunctional family's.
when mother's (tho I totally agree that the biological fathers need to be included in this as well) abuse/neglect their children yet continue to propagate over & over again - where and when does it stop ? it's well documented that a high # of abused children go on to become abusers themselves so the cycle contines generating for generations.
crazyoldcatlady

once again, what makes a "bad" parent, and who decides?

maybe the welfare mom has kid 6, but she's working her ass off to make a good life. on the outside, it looks like she "failed". meanwhile, suburbia mom/dad/2.5 kids looks all shiny on the outside, but little jenny's getting molested.

you know what affects me? children raised to be psycho-christian republicans, homophobes, misogynists, and the general miasma of bigots and hypocrites.
shall we outlaw them as well? because i don't want their "cancer" affecting MY offspring or society.
/sarcasm.

on a fiscal level, putting bad parents in jail is going to crowd the prisons and tax the system even more. then they get out, saltier than what they went in. jail is not rehabilitation.

the point is, educate educate educate. give the tools to help those that need them. what they do with those tools is up to them. some will take it and fly, some won't. you can't police human nature, and this law is a scary slippery slope.
erinjane
And again I'm with COCL. I don't think there's anyway I could be okay with something like that, for many of the same reasons COCL said. I run a children's counselling program for kids 2-12 who have experienced domestic violence, and I work in one of the worst neighbourhoods in my city in a public housing building, and I still can't possibly agree with it. I agree education is the answer...of course you can't reach everyone but regulating people's bodies and rights is just way too scary to me.
tommynomad
COCL, your wisdom belies your moniker: thatnk you for injecting sanity into a discussion whose huxlian tilt stuns me.

Hands off women's bodies--not just when you're 'comfortable' with it.
culturehandy
While I also work with single mother and see women get pregnant on purpose (under the illusion they get more money, but really it's another mouth to feed) I don't agree with this. It is a slippery slope, and it is so dangerously close to eugenics it hurts.

In all reality, if someone wants a child, they are going to get one.

further, as COCL said, it is all about education. I can't tell you how many women I've talked to and dealt with just have no fucking clue. It's because they have such a limited education and no support. Shouldn't the focus be on helping so called "bad" mothers (and what about fathers?) improve their parenting and coping skills rather than forced contraception and hoping for the best?
erinjane
Someone else raised another good point concerning mothers who have disabilities here:

http://www.disaboom.com/Blogs/disabled_pol...traception.aspx
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.