Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Chracka-thoom-the Comic Books Thread
The BUST Lounge > Forums > Media Whores
Lesbajew
I'm pretty sure we don't have a ton of nerdy busties, but I figured I might as well try!

First of all, please type spoilers in white, as not all of us get our shipments on Wednesday.

So, to start up the thread, here are some questions-

What are you reading right now, and what are your thoughts about them?? I just finished Fun Home, which made me cry and I'm currently buying Fables(I'm quite dissapointed at Snow becoming a house wife) and Runaways(Most of the time I hate it when characters are brought back to life, but Gert has earned a Get out of death free card in my eyes).

Most feminist/sexist comic out right now? Ever? I have no idea when it comes to this one, as I am fairly new to comics. Girls would have to up there on most sexist,but ten times more disturbing than the comic were the letters. I'll post quotes sometime.

Which do you read more mainstream or indie?

Where do you get your comics, and how do people react to your presence in the store? When my brother, mother, and myself show up, it's usually just the three of us and the same clerk, who was never even the least bit shocked by my mother and I's presence. I've gotten quite a few weird stares from others though, and mother more, as she doesn't fit the stereotypes in the least(she's a fifty four year old working mother)

And finally, you're favorite everything. Author, artist, comic, character, what ever! I'd have to say I love Brain K Vaughn's work as a writer, artist I'm not so sure. Runaways is probably my favorite comic.
girltrouble
since our old comeek thread seems to have vanished with the titanic, i'll bite!

i just started fun house, and i love it already.

i tend to by graphic novels or graphic collections of comic books since they are cheaper. more often than not i buy them for art work over story, i am obsessed with european clearlinists, (the clearline cartoon style most familiar to most people would be that of tintin) my favorite of which are serge clerk, jooste swarte, yves chaland, and a few others.

i love fables, y, the authority, invincible, hellboy/brpd, powers, some zombie comic who's name escapes me, bone occasionally, (although i can't resist jeff smith's art work and am tempted to buy his shazam miniseries)

i also read some manga, i adore basilisk, and naruto-- (both because i accidentally watched the cartoons), akira, lady snowblood, and there is something i'm forgetting.

my favorite graphic novels are "how loathesome" and "wet moon" because they both feature charecters not normally seen in comics; queers, transexuals, the pierced/tattooed + handycapped but they are admired for being trans, handycapped, pierced etc. which is very refreshing. both are gothicy-- but without the silly morbidity for morbidity's sake of say, emily the strange or lenore (although lenore is fun). and i love the art work in both. h.l. is all sharp angles san francisco underground gothic drug scenester black and white hipness, while wet moon is a round, moody, dark, jr highschool love and rockets.

i will buy and read anything by ted naifeh. i love his art, and like i said he doesn't make one-dimentional goth stories, so gloom cookie and courtney crumrin series get the nod from me too.

i also got the dare detectives, which is kids reading, but i love the art. and i love zines too the newest is by a kiwi whose art work is very clearlinist, but his name escapes me... the charecter is jessica from the school yard. she's awesome, and definitely a bully. an old blog with pix is here :jessica from the school yard linky

i do read the tights and capes set (i.e. superhero books) the main draw there is a certain writer, who i knew in sf, and the asshole (jk) who talked me into moving to seattle. we were roomates for a while. i am glad to see that he is doing really well. comic writing was all he ever wanted to do, and he put his time in. so he deserves it. we're not really in contact anymore, but i love his taste in what books he'll write for, and i love what he's done with the charecters, while being faithful to them and their history, and his plots are really well crafted.

right now he's writing daredevil, iron fist, sleeper, and something else, but i only buy the first two since i can wait for the graphic novel of sleeper.

as for the reaction in the comicstore, it's good, but i have been going to one of the companies stores since way back when i was a boy. i think some of them remember that (i was in with the local indy comics crowd of writer illustrators, although i don't travel in those circles anymore). but they are all pretty cool with me, and really, no one makes much of a deal.

i think i got everything...
the_geiger
Favorite comics:

Hothead Paisan: Homicidal Lesbian Terrorist

Honour Among Punks

V for Vendetta

Y: The Last Man

CSI: Dying In the Gutters

And I love anything X-Men and the Heroes online comics.

OOhh! and this one time when I was digging through the longboxes at the local comic book store I found a feminist comic book from the 1970s called 'Dynamite Damsels'. One of the best finds.

And Action Girl is good too.

Also Lesbajew, what is this "Girls" comic of which you speak? I might be familiar with it, but then again I might be thinking of something else.
grrrlyouwant
it's all about jhonen vasquez. i love johnny the homicidal maniac! and i have got the coolest kid ever. one time when we were waitin for our food at a diner, i pulled out my laptop and queued up some inavader zim for c-monkey, and she was like "i remember this show mommy!" and i was "dude, this show went off the air before you were born honey, and this is the first time you've seen it." and then she said "oh yeah, but i read the books. remember mommy, the crazy guy johnny?" she recognized vasquez's style, i think that is just so fucking awesome. also a big fan of neil gaiman's sandman, and alison bechdel's dykes to watch out for. and that's it i think. i'm not a huge comic geek.
girltrouble
if you like dykes TWOF, grrrl, then check out her graphic novel, fun house that lesbajew was talking about. i just finished it and loved it.
Lesbajew
girltrouble-My brother is tearing through the Y volumes we have. He's on eight, and he started at the end of May! I've read the first one. Wet Moon sounds interesting, I'll ask the comic book guy chris about it! Glad you enjoyed fun home!

the_geiger- I am a big X-men fan, but I haven't read any for a good long while. I've had a big affection for Rouge since I can remember.
Girls is the title of the comic itself. It takes place in a town where the people are trapped inside and has been over run by a bunch of Egg laying girls that all look the same who kill the woman and seduce the men, and in turn lay more eggs. Did I mention the sperm monster that is growing in the field? It recently ended.

grrrl-Jhonen Vasquez is amazing. I've read Johnny and I loved Invader Zim! I happen to remember when it first came on. I say the first episode when it first aired! I loved Gaz(Dib's sister, not a huge character) and GIR! Sandman was one of my first comics beyond manga.
sukouyant
Love list: Fables and most of Bill Willingham's stories

Alias from Marvel/Max about a depressive ex-superheroine turned private investigator. It was wrapped up and discontinued because of cuss words and 'adult themes'. I think the issue was that the story took place in the Marvel world with other marvel characters, whose images might be tarnished by association, or who were attracting very young readers, or something.

The Bondage Fairies so cute, so perverse.

Sandman and that young magician series (what was his name again?)

Bitchy Bitch who is always on the first day of her period. I love her. (Geiger, I just checked out dynamite damsels. It turns out it's by the same creator, Roberta Gregory)

Optic Nerve for a long time.

Disappointments: I wanted to like them, but meh.

Promethea by Alan Moore.
Thessaly, Witch for Hire by Bill Willingham

Oh and agreed with Girltrouble and with Lesbajew - FunHome is an excellent graphic novel...it made me laugh, it made me cry.
NocturnalCatie
Yeah, so I figured I'd post on here since I'm still new, and I giant comic nerd. tongue.gif
Right now I'm following WORMWOOD. I love all things Warren Ellis.
Just recently read the last Strangers in Paradise.
Can't get enough of Fables.
Obsessively hunt down anything by "los bros hernandez" whether done together or seperately.
I adore Ashley Wood and his art.
Ummm....geez. Seems like I have too many to list.
As a kid I was really into superhero stuff, but as time went on I couldn't find a really awesome ass-kicking female character that stood alone. Most were either spin-offs of male characters, or they were constantly engrossed in love triangles.
I'm stuck in hawaii, and I used to get all my cmoics from the shop my brother managed. Unfortunately, it was forced to close down so they could tear up the building and turn it into a nordstroms. dry.gif
Now I go to a shop where they guy is overly pompous, and doesn't even speak to me. He'll only talk to my boyfriend. i guess my cooties might rub off on him or something. I swear he's about 200lbs shy of being the comic guy from The Simpsons.
Oh! Sukouyant...I think it was Tim Hunter? Books of Magic, right?
girltrouble
oh my god yessss... jamie's art is so freaking beautiful... i swear, the longest crush i have ever had is on maggie, and i had a girl that i fell in love with because she had that same body type (you know when she was heavier) and looked like her. luckily she was a badass! jamie did me a serious solid...hee hee. i just got hernandez satyricon from the library-- it's the one where the brothers write and draw the other brother's stories. so jamie does the heartbreak soup charecters, and beto does maggie, hopey, race and penny. luba has never looked so luminous as when jamie draws her... sigh.

and i love ashley wood's books.

i have also started getting robot-- which is a japanese import anthology of manga stories... beautiful....

i so want to get back into the superhero stuff but it's too expensive and there are so many spin offs n shit, like the avengers or xmen... wtf!? i don't even know where i'd start.

and adrian tomine's optic nerve is awesome. i read his stuff back when it was a zine, and he was a dan clowes knock off, but he grew into so much more.....

as for the pompus ass at the comic store, he's probably socially inept. i bet if you talk to him he breaks out in a sweat...lol
sukouyant
NocturnalCatie you're on the money- Books of Magic - which I ended up reading all out of order.

I got the latest Fables comp. today. It's in its comic bag now waiting to be devoured.

EDIT: I also picked up how loathsome by ted naifeh and tristan crane. It's about boys who are girls and girls who are lesbians and fluidity, and drugs, fairytales, ghost stories and dreams. I'm liking it a lot.
girltrouble
i posted something about how loathesome in the old comik thread... i love ted naifeh, and loathesome is great! i love that book!
sukouyant
they were having a big sale on the edition i bought. i might go back and buy copy for a friend. i wasn't even going to pick it up, but after leafing through it, this story about a queer threesome caught my eye and it wasn't particularly gratuitous, sensational or lame or detached, you know the way stories get when they include 'edgy' material. just matter of fact and philosophical. i knew then 'i must have it!'
sukouyant
So I think I posted a few lines figuring that Marvel stopped the Alias series because of 'adult content besmearing other stock Marvel characters" or some such. Obviously I'm seriously mistaken rolleyes.gif and I just came across the cover for Heroes for Hire #13

The cover is here

ASIDE from Misty Knight's improbable hairstyle; Typical-over-the-top-comic-art? Attention-grabbing-commercial-misogyny? Marvel-editor's-wet-dream?
girltrouble
man... what have they done to misty?grr. the thing i always liked about the heroes for hire was that it was zero to no cheesecake, it was more gritty, not bulshitty. booooo!

that offically gets my big stinky dooley award, right on it's head!
NocturnalCatie
Ha! I read the first few Books of Magic in order, and later I just got so lost with all the different sections of it, i just said screw it, and read them as i found them. tongue.gif I was going back through my comic collection and found a Too Much Coffee Man book. I'd forgotten all about that!
I'm not sure if anyone remembers or even heard of it, but my brother and I used to read a comic called Lethargic Lad. My brother was so into it, he ordered the doll. When he got it, he was thrilled to see the doll had been handmade by the artist.
My point is, I love the fact that I've found a group of comic geeks,( like myself!), who love to read some fairly big comics, but are equally excited digging through the back to find those few golden comics that most people never give a chance.
the_geiger
LJ: The "Girls" you mentioned apparently wasn't what I was thinking of! I think I would remember reading that atrocity.

What I was thinking of was "Girl," which is this three-issue series put out by Vertigo in the mid-90s which is actually kinda cool. It's about this girl who develops a split personality/alter-ego and thinks that she killed her father and a stranger in a junkyard. The whole crazy-girl trope is a bit problematic, but I like it.
Lesbajew
The_geiger- The comic was sexist, but pretty run of the mill in that sense. Okay, the more I think about it, the more I disagree with that statement, but back to that later. What was horrible was the popularity of the thing, and the letters to the writers... I don't know how to describe it. Many wished painful death on all the female characters, often saying that the men should ditch there "whiny" wives, girlfriends, and children and live in a "paradise" with the silent and nude girls who never said no. The character Nancy received so much hate mail I wanted to cry. Nancy was crazy, but never was there never was a single letter complaining about her equally if not more crazed husband, and he was sometimes looked on a figure to be pitied! Much of the hate was directed at her age and looks.

As for the series itself, it was pretty bad too. After going over the letters, I've had my daily dose of blatant sexism. I'll post a list of the offenses of the series itself later.

Heroes for Hire's issue #13 cover made LJ very mad. Really disgusting. Marvel's standards seem to falling as of late.
.em.
oh! comics!

My favorite comic book/graphic novel series is the Sandman by Neil Gaiman. Awesome story.
Ultimate Spiderman is pretty good too.

as for manga....Nana and Paradise Kiss (or anything else by Ai Yawaza) are absolutely the best. I almost think I shouldn't have read them first because it sets the bar so high for other mangas!
sukouyant
I'm woefully ignorant about the different categories of comics. What's the difference between Manga and American comics?
Lesbajew
QUOTE(sukouyant @ Jul 4 2007, 05:53 PM) *
I'm woefully ignorant about the different categories of comics. What's the difference between Manga and American comics?

Manga is comics in Japanese. However, here stateside we use it to refer to Japanese comics. Think anime, but on paper.

.em.
QUOTE(Lesbajew @ Jul 4 2007, 08:30 PM) *
Manga is comics in Japanese. However, here stateside we use it to refer to Japanese comics. Think anime, but on paper.

right! ^^
It's also backwards...you read from right to left. (and what we would call the back cover is the front in most manga.) And yes, the art is like anime on paper. It's usually all in black and white. I really enjoy it, and recommend them! As I said before, NANA and Paradise Kiss are really great. Fruits Basket, Chobits, and CLAMP manga (an all-female manga team) are usually pretty good too.

Manga @ Wikipedia
girltrouble
the subject matter is also wider. you can find anime on almost any subject matter, from sports, basket ball etc, to romance, to fantasy, to historical drama, or social commentary, sex or action.
sukouyant
ha, thanks, i didn't know any of this stuff.
NocturnalCatie
There are a few manga or manga-esque things I liked. My favorite was Uzumaki. Weird, creepy, and sooo well drawn!
missjoy
I thought I would pop in here for a look. When I was in school I had a good friend who loved comics and gave me a bunch to read to show me how good they could be.

The one I remember the most is the Sandman series - those were great. I also read some others including Rorshack (am I even spelling that right, it's the same as the name of the inkblot tests psychiatrists use). I'm trying to think of more because I know that I read a bunch of great ones... it'll come to me.

Funny story, and I have no reason to doubt the guy who told me this. I had a friend who went by the nickname Duma. He was getting something signed by Neil Gaiman who was in the middle of writing the Sandman series at the time. My friend asked to have the signing made out to Duma and Neil Gaiman asked him about the name.

Well in one of the next books that came out a minor charactor went by the name Duma... coincidence? Who knows!
girltrouble
catie have you seen the movie they made from uzumaki? very creepy...

and suko--- i love your avi-- so cute!
.em.
QUOTE(missjoy @ Jul 11 2007, 07:32 AM) *
I thought I would pop in here for a look. When I was in school I had a good friend who loved comics and gave me a bunch to read to show me how good they could be.

The one I remember the most is the Sandman series - those were great. I also read some others including Rorshack (am I even spelling that right, it's the same as the name of the inkblot tests psychiatrists use). I'm trying to think of more because I know that I read a bunch of great ones... it'll come to me.

Funny story, and I have no reason to doubt the guy who told me this. I had a friend who went by the nickname Duma. He was getting something signed by Neil Gaiman who was in the middle of writing the Sandman series at the time. My friend asked to have the signing made out to Duma and Neil Gaiman asked him about the name.

Well in one of the next books that came out a minor charactor went by the name Duma... coincidence? Who knows!

ah, I love the Sandman! that story is pretty neat too~

QUOTE(girltrouble @ Jul 11 2007, 11:06 AM) *
catie have you seen the movie they made from uzumaki? very creepy...
and suko--- i love your avi-- so cute!

i don't know if i've heard of that or not.
personally, i'm more into the 'realistic' type mangas. i don't really care much for the magical/fantasy/action type stuff.
girltrouble
oh, uzumaki was hardly fantasy. i've never seen the manga, but the movie was j-horror. uzumaki, or spiral is about a town that is cursed by a spiral, and is about the horrible, literally twisted deaths of the people in the town.
NocturnalCatie
Yeah, it was definately more on the "horror" end of the spectrum. I did not see the movie, but I've seen several stills from it. From what i can tell it stayed very true to the art work. The infamous "spiral man" picture has to be my favorite scene in that book! I think I read it because I've always been obsessed with spirals. I've filled whole pages with them, and to find a comic ABOUT spirals, and a horror one at that, made me excited. tongue.gif

crinoline
Hi, wow, I've never even seen this thread before.

So, my baby brother is really into Manga (as are all of my brothers), and I'm looking for some recommendations.

His 16th Bday is coming up (this month!!) and I have nothing. I know he has read and enjoyed:Death Note, Pet Shop of Horrors, Confidential Confessions, Kodocha, Wallflower, Fruits Basket, and many others I don't remember.
He really enjoys romantic comedy with some sort of violence thrown in. School drama should be okay, nothing thats 18+ or explicitly violent/sexual please. Ummm, he likes animals, especially cats.
Anime recs are welcome too, I'm just at a loss for what to get him.

I guess I'll do some more research and come back if I find anything
VanillaXtraDry
i'm not too into comics but i LOOOOOVVEEEDDDD Neil Gaiman's "The Sandman" series years ago...
missladyj
I am totally with you on the serious love for Sandman!!!!

I am rereading the Sandman which I haven't looked at for about 10yrs. It is so fantastic. I have to say I think it is the best comic book evah. the library at the school where I work has started having graphic novel collection so they have four volumes of collections of the Sandman. I told the librarian that he has the best comic book evah! I think they will order the rest of the series.

I brought it home to show my husband who has never read the Sandman and is more of a Silver Surfer , Spidey kinda guy and I keep asking him" Isn't this the best comic book ever?" he says he can't answer until he reads all of them

I also just finished Aline Kominsky Crumbs MOre Love. which is awesome too. She rules!

I am totally going through a graphic novel phase. huh.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.