Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Hiv Testing
The BUST Lounge > Forums > Our Bodies, Our Hells
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4
psychicfemme
QUOTE(kittenb @ Nov 20 2007, 06:51 AM) *
Because I AM qualified to keep things at a 7th grade level...

Thanks kitten...not only "qualified to" but also "limited to" smile.gif
auralpoison
I am ashamed to admit it, but this thread is cracking me up. Really. When I take a break from my sickie duties I come in here & giggle at the futility of it all. Oh, the humanity!

And I would very much like to shag Lewis Black. I bet he knows his HIV status!
pixiedust
QUOTE(kittenb @ Nov 19 2007, 02:51 PM) *
Because I AM qualified to keep things at a 7th grade level, that comment just strikes me as so dirty. Of course the name Puckle Warts also strikes me as dirty. Or maybe just something that you would find on an STD pamphlet.

I wouldn't at at Fuddruckers for the longest time because it just sounds Dirty to me.

laniethezany

Some people might want to check this out before talking about others having nothing to do and spending all day posting. Just sayin'...
psychicfemme
QUOTE(auralpoison @ Nov 20 2007, 07:00 AM) *
I am ashamed to admit it, but this thread is cracking me up. Really. When I take a break from my sickie duties I come in here & giggle at the futility of it all. Oh, the humanity!

And I would very much like to shag Lewis Black. I bet he knows his HIV status!

I know, I'm actually starting to feel guilty cuz it's kinda like clubbing baby seals...a little too easy, and not very much sport.

Regarding HIV status, it really is interesting to see, now that the poll numbers have increased, how many of us have taken the risk of unprotected sex with a partner whose status we did not know. It really is a difficult subject to broach, especially in the heat of the moment, but it could be a life and death decision.

pf
psychicfemme
QUOTE(laniethezany @ Nov 20 2007, 07:11 AM) *

Some people might want to check this out before talking about others having nothing to do and spending all day posting. Just sayin'...

Yeah, I come in here about once a week to sweep up. smile.gif The real tale is in the total posts, and average daily...just sayin...

pf
shinyx3
pepper i love muffins! but hardly ever make them. my fav are not too sweet bran muffins so i can smother them with butter and jam.
culturehandy
AP, I would also like to fuck the shit out of Lews Black!

I bet that he's wild in bed.
lilacwine13
The nutella recipe page isn't loading for me. Too bad, I don't care to eat it on sandwiches and I want to use it for something.

I wish I had some good muffin recipes to post, especially ones involving blueberries. Can you convert a coffee cake recipe to muffins? I made a carrot/poppy seed coffee cake a few weeks ago that was pretty good.

Count me in on the Lewis Black love, too.

runningwestward
Lanie - I usually throw them in the fridge after I coat them in chocolate. Sets the chocolate faster. I suppose freezing would be a good idea... would keep them from being eaten all at once. Although I only make them for a group of people anyways so I've had no reason to try this out. Bon Bons in the house during the off season is not a good idea. But having read this thread I want bon bons for afternoon break. Maybe I'll settle for tea from the good shop on the corner that has a bunch of flavoured teas (my favorite right now is Caramel Black). I deserve a treat! Manuscript writing is my nemesis.
pixiedust
I fixed the link Lilac. I'm not sure what was wrong...all I did was take it out and put it back in again.

I've never been much of a muffin eater. I do like the really big banana nut ones you can get at places like Perkins and Bob Evans, but they have to be warm and with melted butter.
psychicfemme
QUOTE(lilacwine13 @ Nov 20 2007, 02:41 AM) *
Dear archeology gods,
I want a job as a technician. I want to get hired, I want the firm that hires me to be a good one and want to keep me around for a while. I've been told it should be relatively simple to get hired, but the references part is killing me. Please try to fix this, I'm trying, but it's been difficult.
--myself

Oh Lilac, thank you so much! You and faerie are peas in a pod aren't you? Good luck getting a life...just sayin...I can see why references are the hard part smile.gif

pf
laniethezany

lilac -

I made some Nutella banana pancakes once - they were a big hit. I just bought regular pancake mix and made it according to the instructions on the package. Then I added two really ripe bananas mashed to within an inch of their lives and a couple of generous glops of Nutella. I mixed all that up then added a bit more of the pancake mix until it seemed like a workable consistency. Then I just cooked them the way I would have cooked any other pancakes. I had both maple and banana syrup on hand, but most people seemed to eat them with just butter.

I think most bread or cake recipes can be made as muffins - you just have to watch the baking time, obviously, because smaller portions of batter bake faster than a whole pan full.
pepper
kitten rocks the nummy kitchen! i am making those, gotta go on a grocery run first though.
lilac, if you post the recipe for coffee cake i'll grab the neccessitos from the store for that too. it should be fine as muffins, just bake for a shorter time i think.
i'm only wasting my time baking recipes that come with a recommendation from now on. if i gotta make it, it better be good!

yes, i will bake. yes, i will post pics. yes, y'all will gain weight just looking, heh. hey, if my ass has to get bigger so does Yours!

ETA oh, Ianiethezany you beat me to it!
i will not bake with bananas though, i hate them. ok, i will bake with them for the kids, i just won't taste test!
auralpoison
A family friend of mine died during that first sweep of AIDs deaths. He got so sick so quickly & it broke my little heart. That's why I have always been vigilant about knowing my status & the status of my partners. That & I know way too many girls that have gotten some form of STD while in a LTR. My vajayjay ain't getting sick because somebody can't keep their peestick in their draws.

Lewis Black is supposedly single . . . & straight.

And once & for all, I HATE NUTELLA! And bananas, too.
faerietails2
"Oh, and tell us more about the multiple degrees and stuff" Sure! BA: double major in english/philosophy, double minor in music/media studies; MA: women's history; applying for a 2nd grad program in library studies to make the whole liberal arts thing more employable, ya know? don't worry, next year your mom will have your 8th grade graduation diploma to post on the fridge. smile.gif

Okay, for real, i'll stop! I'm always guaranteed a laugh, though, which is why I can't help peeking! hee! this thread rules.

good god, coffee cake muffins rule the world! i've had them before, i just don't know how to convert a recipe.

EDIT: ap and pepper, you hate bananas?!!
i've never had nutella, so i can't speak to that.

you know what i DO hate? sour cream.
psychicfemme
QUOTE(faerietails2 @ Nov 20 2007, 08:02 AM) *
"Oh, and tell us more about the multiple degrees and stuff" Sure! BA: double major in english/philosophy, double minor in music/media studies; MA: women's history; applying for a 2nd grad program in library studies to make the whole liberal arts thing more employable, ya know?

Uh huh...nice try faeriecakes, but your unemployed retail post says it all...but hey, you're in luck...I hear Target's hiring for the holidays!!!
psychicfemme
QUOTE(auralpoison @ Nov 20 2007, 07:46 AM) *
A family friend of mine died during that first sweep of AIDs deaths. He got so sick so quickly & it broke my little heart. That's why I have always been vigilant about knowing my status & the status of my partners. That & I know way too many girls that have gotten some form of STD while in a LTR. My vajayjay ain't getting sick because somebody can't keep their peestick in their draws.

Aural, I know...I also lost some friends in that first sweep of AIDS in the 70s. I think a lot of people dont' think of themselves as at risk cuz they think they know what's really happening in their relationships/partners, etc. But like you say, are you willing to gamble your life on your partner's fidelity? So many HIV cases are showing up out of supposedly committed relationships, or in people who have only had 1 or 2 partners in their entire lives. This poll is showing kind of how that can happen.

pf
pepper
faerie, i don't think you have to convert the cake recipe to make muffins, just bake for less time.
and yes, i loathe bananas. i had to get over the gag reflex from the smell 'cause i have kids and you know, kids Love bananas! but me? no, never. yuck.

eta, i don't peek. i meant it, this one is boring. i admit to peeking at the start but yawn. the rest of you i lurve though. mwah!
culturehandy
I am not a fan of muffins, I have to admit.

As for bananas they have to be sjust turned yellow, if there is a bit of green, that's fine, too.

Sour cream, I heart sour cream, not too much though.

Speaking of MA's, I'm writing my letter of intent, or letter of interest, call it what you will, and it's really difficult to put what you want in a page. As for the community health sciences masters degree, I have to choose if I want to do an M.Sc, a M. Community Health Science, human popluation health, or health administratio or Public Healh. Decisions decisions.

Lewis Black, mmmmm. And Jon Stewart, he's so cute!

I need a much better way to have protein powder. I've made it in pancakes, which isn't so bad, it's when you have with only milk. Vile.
psychicfemme
QUOTE(culturehandy @ Nov 20 2007, 08:43 AM) *
I am not a fan of muffins, I have to admit.
Speaking of MA's, I'm writing my letter of intent, or letter of interest, call it what you will, and it's really difficult to put what you want in a page. As for the community health sciences masters degree, I have to choose if I want to do an M.Sc, a M. Community Health Science, human popluation health, or health administratio or Public Healh. Decisions decisions.

Masters in Community Health Science? That has got to be *the* joke of the afternoon. But I'd be happy to give you a letter of reference CH!!! Just let me pull up some of these past posts on the HIV thread...
culturehandy
PF, do you have a degree? I think you'd need to graduate from high school to accomplish that first. Since all that you are capable of is spewing back drivel you've read from any HIV pamphlet, I doubt you'd even make it through University. Further, with a master degree and doctorate, I'll make more money than you'll even dream of.

If community health sciences is such a joke, then it is interesting that epidemiology, which looks at patterns of diesase, included your beloved HIV, is part of community healths science. Also, Berkley, MIT and Harvard, oxford offer the degree which you find to be such a joke. ONe can get a degree in Epidemiolody, which is usually a combined M.D. Ph.D. Which is more than you can ever dream of.

Again, pf, poor showing, do your research before you try and put someone down. Your attempts at trying to put me down are futile and down right amusing. Part of the academic process is doing independent research which you are clearly incapable of, as all that you post is knowledge that can be found in any pamphlet and on any half assed health site.

Even your posts consist of nothing more than reitering that which has already been said, and even then you are too lazy to write what the person prior to use has written, you do nothing more than use the quote button, nothing more than plagirism. That is a true sign of intellectual weakness.

Ooooh, I'm impressed with your "knowledge" now.
psychicfemme
QUOTE(culturehandy @ Nov 20 2007, 08:57 AM) *
Further, with a master degree and doctorate, I'll make more money than you'll even dream of.

Heh...first you'll have to remove the squeaker and stuffing that currently fills your head smile.gif I'm just sayin...

ps...case in point CH, community health sciences isn't the joke...the idea of you applying is the joke smile.gif Geez...do I have to explain every little thing?
faerietails2
oh i hate those stupid letters of intent. i never know what to write. for the MLS program i just applied to, we had to write two pages. assign me a research paper or long essay any day. letter of intent? i'll pass.

yup, i hate sour cream. i tend to hate creamy white stuff in general, though. *waits for the jokes*
seriously...ranch dressing, creme filling, most pudding? ew. (but not ice cream, of course!)
culturehandy
faerie, sounds a little shotty to me.
kittenb
Ahhhh, sweet, sweet bonbons........

pepper
oh, you posted those because you're sending me some, right? 'cause you wouldn't do that just to torture me. you wouldn't be so cruel.
kiss_the_fiddler
Such lovely pictures! I'm hungry. Yummy!

fiddler
lilacwine13
*wipes drool off of keyboard* Those pictures look yummy.

Thanks for fixing it, shiny. It could be my work computer was the problem, since it sounds like nobody else had any issues. Those recipes look really good, I'm a sucker for anything involving dulce de leche and ice cream (preferably together). I'll have to try out faerie's recipe too, I know someone who likes bananas and chocolate who is sure to love them together.

Pepper, here's a link to the recipe. They took it from the same cookbook I used and changed a couple of minor things. It looks like they made it healthier by adding whole wheat flour and substituting yogurt for sour cream, but other than that it's the same. Have fun (and post some pictures).

And the letter, I asked a few people I met through my class, volunteering, and work if I could use them for references and they said I could, and since I've done a satisfactory job in most of them, I'm sure they will say nice things about me. I even sat down with my instructor and got some good advice on applying for jobs in the area too. My current boss is sure to give me a good reference when I'm ready to leave, and if I kick ass at my current volunteer gigs, I have two more there as well. (What, just because you don't have a life means the rest of us don't either?)

beck
Just had to cut in - have been following this thread with interest and couldn't hold back. Those bonbons look gorgeous apart from...blue chocolate? Blue food is just wrong!!

check out these chocolates though - the salt caramels are the best thing ever...
Artisan du Chocolat
kittenb
Blue food isn't wrong. What about blue M&Ms? Actually, I think that is the color that my father won't eat. But, still, blueberries!
culturehandy
Damn, those look fantastic!

Lilac, I met with my academic references in October, both meetings went fantastically. I am using two professors whom I've had for my entire undergraduate degree. One is a Medical Anthropologist, that was my area of study for my undergrad degree, the other a Cultural Antrhopologist who has a very distinguished career. They say I should have no problem getting into the programmes I am applying for.

Now, managing full time work and studies. Not quitting the cushy government job I currently have. Although it can be the job from hell.

Now all I can think about is chocolate.

Le Sigh.

ETA: X-posted with Kitten. Hi!
pepper
oh lilac, thank you for the recipe but i wanted the one for coffee cake, all those poppyseeds get stuck in my teeth!

blue food is so wrong but chocolate isn't exactly food is it? more like therapy.
blueberries aren't blue yo, just get some on your shirt and you'll see just what colour they are! (thanks kids).

hey, this thread is transmogrifying into a girly chat thread, i love it! i have no studies or career to speak of at the moment, i can't even imagine picking my uni courses back up right now! and going back into finance is way off in the distant future. at present i can talk cats, food, kids, arts and crafts and housey stuff. can't say i mind though, so far i like the job title 'mommy'better than any other i've ever had. the pay is lousy (CND mat leave is about 60% of reg pay) but the perks are so gratifying (like a lap full of snuggly sleepy baby right now)wub.gif.
shinyx3
sea salt caramels are the best! the chocolatier in town makes those and oh, my are they deeeeevine!
pixiedust
Oh Gawd! Those Bon Bon look fantastic! I don't even mind the blue...which I never really thought about before, but I guess blue food is a little wrong. Blueberries are really purple afterall.

I hear ya Pepper on the Mommy career. I wish I had been able to stay on my maternity leave a little longer, but as you say, the $$ is crap. But it is really nice to come home at night and see his sweet little face light up! He saves his best smiles for mommy!

Ch...working full time and taking classes is killer isn't it? I am so glad that most classes are being offered online these days.

Speaking of verly sweet decadent deserts...does anyone have a good Baklava recipe? Despite being 1/2 greek Dh has never tried it. I must rectify that!
culturehandy
I love blue food!

I'm a huge fan of blueberries, I eat them year round, although the frozen berries aren't nearly as good as fresh berries. Bonus, when using protein powders, i mis em up with yoghurt, milk, and blue berries and you can't taste the protein!

Also great to toss in some rasberries! Ooooh, I have fresh raspberries today for lunch! Yummers!

Pixie, when I was doing my undergraduate degree, I was working two jobs and going to school full time. How I managed to pull of the best marks of my university career, I'm not too sure.

I hope that things go as well for my Masters degree. I'm applying for grants and so forth once I start my thesis.

I really want to go pick up some home made chocolates for xmas. I'm in the mood to bake, while I can usualy have one piece, I like to share all around.
pepper
laugh my ass off, take a look at this fantastically hillarious sorbet recipe. i'm doing this with the kids for sure!

http://www.himonkey.net/cooking/sias/index.html
auralpoison
I'm sorry, but outside of bluberries, food should not be blue. Blue is the colour of things gone bad. And possibly fuzzy.
runningwestward
That entire site is fabulous!

I never got my bon bons yesterday but those pics of bon bons below are making the cravings worse! Except the blue ones. But I do hear you with the blue M&Ms and blue Smarties (being from Canuckistan). And blueberries are pretty darn fantastic... and I once made a cake in the shape of a freighter with blue icing (for a friend who was finishing his MASc in Naval Architecture). So maybe blue foods aren't so freaky.

I needed ideas for home baked holiday treats and this has been uber helpful. I've done truffles, sweet and spicy nuts, and chocolate roche in the past... I need something new to give out at Christmas.

I couldn't imagine working full time and doing school. I worked part time as a RA for part of my last undergrad year and it was freakin' hard to balance it all. I am in awe of those who can juggle it all.
pepper
here's a hard candy recipe i got from a girl on another site, it can be made with so many flavours (lemon, almond, mint etc) and can be poured into moulds as well (did i spell that right?). i saw some in the shape of small penises, cock-pops ha ha!

All equipment you will need: Large sauce pan, cookie sheet, candy thermometer, measuring cup(s), metal/wooden spoon, baking/cooking spray(to grease cookie sheet), cooling rack and wax paper.

***Recipe***
2 cups sugar
2/3 cups light corn syrup
3/4 cup water
1 dram (1 teaspoon) of flavoring
1/2 teaspoon of food coloring (or you can just add a couple drops--coloring to your liking)
Powdered sugar

1. Lightly grease/oil a cookie sheet
2. In the saucepan, mix together sugar, corn syrup, water. Stir over med. heat until sugar dissolves.
3. Place the candy thermometer in the pan (making sure the tip doesn't touch the bottom!!!) Bring to a boil without stirring.
4. When temperature reaches 260 degrees, add color. DON"T stir--the boiling action will spread the color.
5. Remove from heat when it reaches 300 degrees.
6. Add the flavoring and stir. Pour syrup onto lightly greased/oiled candy molds or cookie sheet and score to mark squares. (I set my cookie sheet on the cooling rack.)
Tip: The smaller the cookie sheet, the longer it will take to set, before you can score. But it will set around 5 minutes, just keep trying to score until the lines stay. This will also make thicker pieces.
For thinner pieces use a bigger cookie sheet, but beware the mixture will cool within a minute.
7. Now for the fun part: when cool, break the pieces (I placed wax paper on the cooling rack and carefully flipped the pan over) and dust with the powdered sugar to prevent sticking. Store in an airtight container. Tip: you can put some powdered sugar in a ziploc bag, to create a shaker bag. Just place some pieces in the bag, close and shake until coated.

Now you can enjoy the candy!!! But please be careful as some pieces might have sharp edges.
culturehandy
I'm going to make them and dye them..... BLUE!!!!!
laniethezany

running - have you ever made gingerbread for holiday treats? You can do so much with it, decoration wise. A couple of years ago my then-sweetie and I made punk rock gingerbread people for our work party - they had leather jackets and piercings and crazy hair. We used this icing that I seem to remember being called "egg paint" - it involved egg yolks and was runny so you painted it on with a brush before baking the cookies. We even had a couple of our cookies with plaid skirts. And just to get the tie-in with the current theme of the thread - you could even give them blue hair.

ETA: I just got back from a few lunchtime errands, and found myself compelled to pick up some candy cane Hershey's Kisses, aka Christmas crack.
pollystyrene
Pixie, I can definitely help you out more with the baklava question than the wallpaper question in the home decor thread. Here's the recipe I posted in the barefoot thread in August '06. I've made it several times and everyone says it's the best baklava they've ever had. It's actually pretty easy, but you really need a good 45-60 mins of prep time. Make sure the air is pretty humid where you're working, too or the phyllo dough will dry out.

ETA: I always add extra cinnamon (like, at least double what the recipe says) because we're cinnamon addicts around here.

Baklava
Serves 10-12

Filling
1 lb. walnuts, coarsely chopped
3 T sugar
1/2 t cinnamon

Pastry
1 lb. pkg. Phyllo dough
1 1/2 sticks unsalted butter, melted

Syrup
1 1/2 C sugar
2 1/2 C water
1 large cinnamon stick
2-3 whole cloves
1 T lemon juice
2 T clear honey

Preheat oven to 350°

Defrost pastry if needed and keep it covered with a damp cloth, as it dries out quickly. Mix all the filling ingredients in a bowl. Butter the base of a large rectangular roasting pan (approx. 15 x 10 in.) and cover it neatly with 5-6 sheets of pastry, brushing each layer with butter before lifting it from the stack. Fold in the excess length of each sheet at alternating ends. Spread half of the filling over the pastry and cover it with 3 more layers of buttered pastry. Spread over the remaining filling and fold over all the edges, enclosing the filling neatly. Butter each remaining sheet of pastry and cover top neatly. Cut through only the top layers of pastry to form small oblong or diamond shapes to facilitate serving once it has been cooked. Sprinkle the edges with cold water to prevent curling. Bake for 25-30 minutes. Turn heat up to 375° and bake for another 10-15 minutes until golden brown. Let cool before adding syrup.

Mix syrup ingredients except for the honey and boil for 8-10 minutes. Add honey and simmer for another 5 minutes until slightly thickened. Discard cinnamon and cloves and pour the syrup slowly over the cooled baklava. Let stand for 10 minutes until all the syrup has been absorbed and it looks glossy on top. If kept covered, it will keep at room temperature for 2-3 days.
pepper
QUOTE(culturehandy @ Nov 20 2007, 12:50 PM) *
I'm going to make them and dye them..... BLUE!!!!!

blue cock-pops?! awesome! if i get a mould, mold (? whatever) i'll make some too but i might make mine purple, another colour that's so wrong for food.
culturehandy
I'd like to make "adult" gingerbread cookies. Most sex shops sell fun cookie cutter cutouts of vagina's and penis'
pollystyrene
QUOTE(pepper @ Nov 20 2007, 01:26 PM) *
blue cock-pops?! awesome! if i get a mould, mold (? whatever) i'll make some too but i might make mine purple, another colour that's so wrong for food.

Wouldn't those be blue balls? tongue.gif
beck
now i think about it, i guess the other colours of M&Ms/smarties are probably not derived from natural ingredients either - but it's easier to kid myself that they are full of healthy goodness! pepper the sorbet recipe was so funny i laughed out loud at work. I like the direction of this thread too, and your current job sounds great. I am sooo looking forward to doing the same. And i have much more confidence that i will know what i'm doing, unlike in my actual *profession*

culturehandy, i did my masters part-time over 2 years and worked fulltime, my employers (another cushy govt job wink.gif ) were very supportive and i did get some study leave round exam/dissertation time. i actually really enjoyed it - as it was an area relevant to my job, a lot of the people on the course worked in that field, and it made for much more interesting discussions and informed debate, as people were bringing a real life perspective. got much more from it than the undergrad one, which gave me a big stack of debt that I am still paying off now.

am now going away to puzzle over how a gingerbread vagina would look...
missladyj
CH, I am just about to finish my masters while working one full time job and one part time job. I will be kinda sad when I'm done because i will have all of this free time and I wont know what to do with myself. I will be happy though when I start making more money!! Good luck.
culturehandy
I picked out a piece of my academic writing to submit.

All this talk of successful masters work and full time work is reassuring. Thanks all!

So, I'm in the mood to do some xmas baking, I think I may pick up some magazines with some recipes. I'm looking forward to it.
pepper
shoot, we drove into town for groceries and i forgot my baking supplies list. darn it all. next time, then pictures to make you drool and curse me, mwahahahahahaha!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.