Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Doodlebug's Poll: Which Dixie Chicks Song For The Vagina Monologues?
The BUST Lounge > Forums > Media Whores
doodlebug
Hiya all - pardon me for creating a post without asking, but it's a poll, so when the important date has passed, the thread should drop out of sight and disappear (I assume).

The local community (V-Day) production of the Vagina Monologues is coming up on February 14. I've been asked to perform a song (I sing and play acoustic guitar). I've decided I want to do a Dixie Chicks song. So I want to know....

Which Dixie Chicks song do you think is most appropriate/entertaining/fun for the Vagina Monologues?

The Long Way Around
Ready to Run
Wide Open Spaces

Not open to learning new ones at this late date. I do know quite a few others, but some aren't quite as appropriate, and I'm not confident enough in the other potentials to play them for an audience yet - and, sadly, I don't know how to make Goodbye Earl work as an acoustic piece. wink.gif

Thanks!!

(ETA: see pollystyrene's post above if you need to hear the songs/read the lyrics.)
mouse
hey doodle, i'm not really familiar with the dixie chicks' repertoire--and i think i'm probably not the only one. could you maybe post the lyrics? smile.gif
turbojenn
Ooooh, that's such a tough choice! When you asked us in Okayland, I picked Ready to Run, as I love that song, but now, I have to go with Long Way Around - I think that's my favorite from their new album.

Be sure to tell us what you decide!
roseviolet
I think of those 3, "Wide Open Spaces" feels most appropriate for the Vagina Monologues, just because of the story of the song. "Ready to Run" is a close second, though!
pollystyrene
QUOTE(mouse @ Feb 3 2008, 10:55 AM) *
hey doodle, i'm not really familiar with the dixie chicks' repertoire--and i think i'm probably not the only one. could you maybe post the lyrics? smile.gif

You're not the only one, mouse. I like what I've heard of the Dixie Chicks, but I don't know a lot of their songs. So I found videos & lyrics of the songs:

The Long Way Around
Video
Lyrics

Ready to Run
Video (they do some wacky things at the Country Music Awards! Seriously, I'd listen to it without watching it because the stage performance going on around them is really bizarre and distracting! Fricking Riverdance!)
Lyrics

Wide Open Spaces
Video
Lyrics

I dunno doodle, those would all be pretty good for The Vagina Monolgues. I think The Long Way Around is my favorite song, but the other two might be more appropriate. I'm gonna go with Ready to Run.

ETA: Either way, try to get someone to tape your performance- I wanna hear you beltin' it out!
doodlebug
D'oh! mouse, I totally should have thought of that! Thanks, polly, for posting the links!

A big thank you to everyone who has participated so far!

If it helps anyone with the voting, my friend hippiegirl (who is directing the production) has just agreed to play the djembe with me while I perform. Yay! So it will be a vocal, acoustic guitar, and djembe piece.
tesao
doodle, it was a tough choice betweem ready to run and the long way around....

you should SO videotape yourself playing, regardless which one you choose!!!
opheliathemuse
doodle, I don't know anything about the dixie chicks, but this topic made me giggle...
lananans
The Long Way Around is probably one of my favourite songs of all time. LOVE the Dixie Chicks.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.