Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Mad Women Who Love Mad Men
The BUST Lounge > Forums > Media Whores
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
missladyj
Here it is. The thread to discuss mad men. I admit I first started watching because I love the clothes and that era of design and decor but have been hoooked with the storylines and awesome characters.
moxiegirl
My husband works for an ad agency now, and he's always laughing that the struggles from then and now seem to be errily similar. Love the show! Who'se your fav character? I dig poor Pete.
kittenb
Alright, you ladies (and the Emmy's) have convinced me to try this show on Netflix. Big suprise, it's on "very long wait."
i_am_jan
I too am excited to see the show. All I've seen so far is an interview of the writer/creator and 2 of the actors on Charlie Rose, as well as a clip from the show. I've worked as a secretary in an office so I'm interested to see what's up with this. Also, it's great to see Carrie's (from Sex and The City) politician boyfriend again! (Don't know his name but he's older, cute, nice white hair, you know who I mean)
roseviolet
Moxie, Pete is soooo smarmy!He's such a little rat boy. Does he have any redeaming characteristics? What I find most amazing about Pete, though, is that the actor who plays him seems to be a genuinely nice guy, so it's funny to see him talk as himself compared to when he's in character as Weasel Boy.

I find Don Draper to be absolutely fascinating. He has the most amazing presence, even if he is an asshole. It's been interesting to see the fine cracks begin to form in his strong, cool facade as more and more of the truth of his past comes out. I will never forgive him for all of that philandering, though. Or the time he got drunk on his daughter's birthday and went driving around for hours when he was supposed to be picking up her birthday cake. But when he pitched the Carousel to the Kodak people ... hot damn! That was impressive!
thirtiesgirl
Don Draper is a psychologist's dream. Such a complex guy. I got caught up in the AMC marathon of season 1 the other weekend and saw a very revealing episode about his past.

That said, though, when his wife first started going to psychotherapy and after her first few sessions, he called her therapist to find out what they had discussed and what he thought his diagnosis was AND THE THERAPIST TOLD HIM... OMG, I'm sure I freaked my neighbors out by yelling at the tv. I can't believe therapists thought it was ok to tell any family member of a client what is discussed in the privacy of their office. Gah! Ach! Ugh! And the fact that Don thought it was perfectly within his rights to call and ask... WHEW. That kind of control goes deep. It still makes me ill to even write about it.

On another note, I have a huge girl crush on whatshername, the red haired head secretary at the office... I can't remember her character's name. I've seen her on other tv shows and she is always super foxy, but I absolutely love her on Mad Men. Her clothes are to die for, and she is such a bitch, I love it. I kind of want to see her get her comeuppance...but at the same time, I don't. I pity and admire her at the same time.
chachaheels
Well, I admit I watched for the clothes, and I hope that the show becomes really, really popular and successful because I want to see men influenced by the clothing on the show.

I'm so tired of golf wear and tevas with socks being considered appropriate attire. It's so completely sexually repellent. It's a nice touch that they added sexy to the story line wherever possible in the show, too, just to underscore the benefits of quality men's haberdashery. Get that message out there, people!

thirtiesgirl
Oh, and speaking of well dressed men, it kills me that the gay guy in the office hides his sexuality (from himself as well) and feels he has to play it straight all the time. He's the "most eligible bachelor" in the office. *Rueful laugh.*
kari
Oooooh! I am so excited to see this thread! I love this show.

The storyline with Don's wife is getting really interesting. I totally thought she was propositioning the tow truck guy last week.

I would have to say Don is my favorite character. He is fascinating.

Who else loves Don & Betty's bed?? The green upholstery....
missladyj
Kari, I thought the same thing that she was gonna do it with the tow truck driver. think she'll get her cheat on? I hope so.

Thirtiesgirl, the red is so hot. every time I see her in an outfit, I think I want one.

ONe of the things I love about that era was the formalness of going out. People got dressed! and the constant smoking and drinking how awesome is that ?
thirtiesgirl
Oh, I totally think Don's wife needs to get a little side salad with her meat. I'm almost afraid what would happen to her, psychologically speaking, were she to ever find out she's a 'trophy wife,' but I do think she needs to get a little something for herself besides spending all that time at home, raising the kids.
kari
Who watched last night? I did!

Interesting episode. At least we found out what happened with Peggy's baby. She's an odd bird, that one. And the smarmy Peter became more likeable this episode. I felt bad for Don having to meet with the airline guy.
moxiegirl
Ok, cause I'm a read-last-page-first kind of girl, and my itunes is downloading last night's epi right now...what happened to that baby?!? You can PM me, if i'm a spoiler-wanter. smile.gif
girltrouble
oh i did. the plot thickens! i love that don seems to be finding his soul while little weasel boy is losing his-- and i love that you don't particularly feel sad that his dad died cos he was an ass, but you still feel like his pushing for the american airlines account is sooooo sleazy. and i was shocked by the total bitchyness of the redhead.... blink.gif wow.

...and the line that one girl gives the guy about his presentation was a riot!
thirtiesgirl
See, this is what I get for missing half of season 1. I didn't even know Peggy was pregnant. And then all of a sudden she's not Don's secretary any more? What happened? Is it Peter's baby? The last I saw, she was getting shit behind her back from the 'men' because she gained weight, and Don was asking for her 'female opinion' on certain products, so she used that weight loss belt thing that was a vibrator in disguise. Now she's lost the weight, is no longer Don's secretary, works down in the basement and apparently had a baby. Wha'happen??
roseviolet
I'm not going to use spoiler bars, so skip over my post if you don't want to know anything!

Holy god, that meeting with the guy from AA ... I knew that Peter was weasel-y, but wow. You gotta admit, though, that it was an excellent hook. AA may move the account to them out of guilt if nothing else.

This show is so brilliantly sadistic.

I'm really surprised that Peggy didn't give up the baby for adoption.I mean give it up to strangers, not just letting her family raise it for her.
roseviolet
QUOTE(thirtiesgirl @ Aug 4 2008, 10:07 AM) *
See, this is what I get for missing half of season 1. I didn't even know Peggy was pregnant. And then all of a sudden she's not Don's secretary any more? What happened? Is it Peter's baby? The last I saw, she was getting shit behind her back from the 'men' because she gained weight, and Don was asking for her 'female opinion' on certain products, so she used that weight loss belt thing that was a vibrator in disguise. Now she's lost the weight, is no longer Don's secretary, works down in the basement and apparently had a baby. Wha'happen??

Okay, let's see if I can clear things up for you.

First of all, Peggy does not work in the basement. She has been promoted from secretary to writer. She is the first female copy writer the company has had since before WWII. This is a move up. However, we get the feeling that Joan (the red head) is jealous which is one of the reasons why the new copy machine was put in Peggy's office. She shares that office with another writer, but that's the case with most of the writers anyway.

Peggy did not even realize that she was pregnant until she gave birth (in the final episode of last season). There were subtle clues that she was gaining weight, but I just took it as that. She certainly didn't look pregnant. She just looked like she may have gained a few pounds. She started having sharp pains in her abdomen, went to the ER, and was told she was having a baby. We suspect that it's Peter's baby, but we don't know.

So. She lost weight because she gave birth. She isn't Don's secretary because he promoted her. And she does not work in the basement.
girltrouble

it might also help to know between season one and season 2 is, according to the website, a two year leap. so that would explain some of the changes....
kari
wow! 2 years? I assumed it was like 6 months or so. They should have put a caption of "1962" on the inital episode to clue us in. Peggy's baby looks to be about 6 mos, not 2 years. Hmmm.

I know, GT! Joan is a real biatch.
thirtiesgirl
QUOTE(roseviolet @ Aug 4 2008, 08:32 AM) *
Okay, let's see if I can clear things up for you.

First of all, Peggy does not work in the basement. She has been promoted from secretary to writer. She is the first female copy writer the company has had since before WWII. This is a move up. However, we get the feeling that Joan (the red head) is jealous which is one of the reasons why the new copy machine was put in Peggy's office. She shares that office with another writer, but that's the case with most of the writers anyway.

Peggy did not even realize that she was pregnant until she gave birth (in the final episode of last season). There were subtle clues that she was gaining weight, but I just took it as that. She certainly didn't look pregnant. She just looked like she may have gained a few pounds. She started having sharp pains in her abdomen, went to the ER, and was told she was having a baby. We suspect that it's Peter's baby, but we don't know.

So. She lost weight because she gave birth. She isn't Don's secretary because he promoted her. And she does not work in the basement.

Ah. Ok, thanks for the info. Glad to hear she's moved up. I guess I just assumed it was the basement because in the final scene of last night's episode, the other girls were reading stuff on the bulletin board in her office and I usually associate bulletin boards with supply rooms or basement offices; plus, with the copy machine there... so that's where my brain went. What about that thing her sister said when she went to have dinner with her family, something about Peggy being deemed psychologically unhealthy by the state of New York or something? Do we know anything about that?

And I can only imagine how it rankles Joan, that one of "her girls" who she was so nasty to has moved up in the company and is doing something other than secretarial work. Love it.

Another question: what happened with Don's boss Sterling's heart attack? That was the last episode from season 1 that I saw. I remember Joan was all upset and Sterling was suddenly the grateful family man... but it really looked like he wasn't going to make it. And now it seems he's back, all hale & hearty as usual.
roseviolet
The biggest clue that two years has passed is the televised tour of the White House that was featured in the first episode of this new season. That aired in February 1962 ... two whole years after JFK became president. It doesn't feel right, though. It certainly doesn't feel like 2 years have passed in the lives of these characters.

Back to potential spoilerage. smile.gif

Thirtiesgirl, that whole psychology comment was a new one on me, too. It's one of those little peeks into a bigger mystery that this show is famous for. I think it means that maybe possibly Peggy wanted to keep the baby and raise it herself but the state of New York wouldn't allow her. But that's just a guess. You're pretty much up to date on Sterling, too. He was terribly sick at the end of last season but now he seems fine.
girltrouble
"you are profoundly sad."
"no, my people were nordic."

freaking hilarious episode.
kari
Gt, I know! That whole scene was great.

I thought the episode was really good. Don is trying hard, but couldn't quite do it.

I like that they focus on different characters each episode. Keeps it fresh.
moxiegirl
Wow. I was thinking... "hm, wonder why Draper seems "soft" this season?" Then, this epi, I realized its the whole thing is that DOn't "badness" makes him good at his job, but he WANTS goodness. So subtle, yet so effective.

Harry's saying "we need a TV department" reminds me SO much of my moxieman...he's been at the forfront at his ad agency with the whole digital/social media/user experience thing, and his group is almost running the show now...just like the TV departments did in the 60s.
candycane_girl
Rosev, thanks for clearing up the whole Peggy thing, I was just about to come in here and ask about her as well. I was watching season one online and during the season finale there were a few scenes that wouldn't load so I didn't know what the hell was going on. Season two is airing here in Canada but I think it might be a week behind, I'm not sure.
thirtiesgirl
QUOTE(moxiegirl @ Aug 11 2008, 07:44 AM) *
Wow. I was thinking... "hm, wonder why Draper seems "soft" this season?" Then, this epi, I realized its the whole thing is that DOn't "badness" makes him good at his job, but he WANTS goodness. So subtle, yet so effective.

Interesting point. Although I wouldn't say Don's gone 'soft' this season. Not when he grabs a woman's hair and hooks her by her nether lips to make sure he gets his point across, and his point is "do what I say." I had a Tony Soprano moment, watching that.
girltrouble
i like the power dynamic between the two of them, i hope she stays around. she seems to be don's match.

i also love that lady draper purposefully had don watch her kids while she was playing icy for that guy, telling don it was just the ladies riding, when the ladies were no where to be found... she wants him, she's exploring her power, it's fun to watch...
roseviolet
Another great episode. GT, that was definitely one of my favorite lines, too.

I wonder if they'll convince anyone to sponser that "abortion" TV episode. That would be pretty controversial today so I can't imagine how hard it would have been to sell it in the '60s.

I like Harry. He's flawed like everybody else, but at least he feels guilty about it. I was so glad he got up the guts to ask for a promotion.

I was really shocked when Don grabbed that woman by the hair & then shoved his hand up her crotch. I know she was being a bitch and horrendously unreasonable, but wow. I felt my guts twist as I watched that. As soon as I start to sympathize with that man, he pulls something like this & begins to scare me again.
missladyj
gotta agree with GT about that line. We were crackin up!

Don Draper or Double D Money is the baddest mofo!
girltrouble
i was talking to a friend last night about the show-- she got me into it-- and she said it's official, mad men is bring back the suit & skinny tie. i just googled this: "mad men" trend suits and their are lots of articles about it...

the other line i loved was how the asshole comedian called the waiter in the french resturant "Mr. LePew."

i watched the the horse riding scene, and mrs draper was shaking as she left the stalls...ooooooo, she riks him a rot!
Gypsymoth
QUOTE(roseviolet @ Aug 11 2008, 12:06 PM) *

I was really shocked when Don grabbed that woman by the hair & then shoved his hand up her crotch. I know she was being a bitch and horrendously unreasonable, but wow. I felt my guts twist as I watched that. As soon as I start to sympathize with that man, he pulls something like this & begins to scare me again.

That's one of the things i really like about the show, it doesn't let you make up your mind about any of the characters. It always challenges the audience's assumptions and none of the characters is easy to pin down.
girltrouble
meh. after the fireworks of the last episode, last night's seemed..... boring.

maybe it's just me. 60's domestic harmony makes me drowsy. it was only towards the last part that it became interesting.
kittenb
I finally picked up the DVDs for this show and I get the appeal now. I watched the first three episodes and I really want to watch all the rest right now.
I am suprised at how much I started to care about Don Draper considering he is not what I would consider an ideal man but the performances on this show are just about perfect. The only exception is Vincent C (whatever) from Angel. His acting never struck me as stagey before but it feels like he is struggling with the time period. Hopefully he will get more with the pace of the rest of the cast.
That being said, I cannot figure out why Peggy slept with him in the first episode. Even as a bad choice it just didn't ring true.

Don't worry about spoiling anything for me. I won't come back in this thread until I want to know something. biggrin.gif
roseviolet
Kitten, keep watching. Vincent/Peter seems to be doing some sub-par acting in the beginning, but for me, it looks more like the character is just a fakey douche-bag & that's what you're really seeing. It isn't that Vincent is a bad actor ... it's that Peter is a bad actor. Does that make sense? He desperately wants power. He desperately wants to be taken seriously. So he mimics other powerful men. He acts in that chauvanistic way because he thinks that's what he's supposed to do. He feels no guilt about any of his douche-baggery because he's just doing what he has to do to get more power. Underneath the facade, he's a weak little weasel boy, afraid that someone will see him for what he really is. Frankly, I think a lot of them do see him for what he really is - especially Don.

As for this week's episode, I'm trying to understand the very final moment of it. The priest gives Peggy the easter egg & says "For the little one," & as he walks away, she has this stunned look on her face. I guess that means that no one in the church congregation is supposed to know about her baby? But how is that possible? The baby obviously goes to church with them and everything. Do they pretend that it's her sister's baby in public? I feel like I missed something, but I'm not sure.
girltrouble
the mother of the child was definately a family secret. abortion, in the catholic church is a mortal sin, and birth out of wedlock was a no-no too, but it was a common thing for families to send illegitimate children to live with aunts, grandmas etc. so that a child appears from no where is not all that extrordinary. it's some distant relative's child, and no one asks any questions. it's not something that would be discussed, and remember peggy never really showed. my mom was a hair's breath away from sending my niece away to live with some of my relatives. trust me, nobody asks. they gossip, but don't ask. i think there was a look of shock on her face because there was a little bit of a romatic spark there. someone had to tell him the deal, and it had to be someone she knew and i think peggy knew it was her sister.
moxiegirl
I think they're going Thornbirds. That's my bet.
girltrouble
heh. moxie you're a riot!
roseviolet
I was detecting a slight Thornbirds vibe too, Mox. Then again, this whole show is teeming with sexual tension, so I wasn't sure if it was just my imagination or what. biggrin.gif

We almost got another Don flashback last night! I thought it was coming & it was almost there, but no. Denied!
kari
So.......who watched last night?

Some interesting developments, I thought.
girltrouble
yes indeed, kari. after the last episode (snoozefest), i was glad to see they were back on track, and they answered a very important question of roses-- the copywriter's sister was pregnant (or pretending to be) at the same time as she was. so that explains the public acceptance of the baby. i love the comedian's wife. i hope that wasn't her swan song. (sorry i'm bad with names on this show) i think she gave us a huge key with don-- he doesn't know what he likes. i also love the advise she gave to the copywriter, and she seemed to take it to heart. it will be good to see her flex her muscles. and what don did for her. i don't think he's a bad guy, he's conflicted.

does anybody think the redhead actually has a doctor?
roseviolet
GT, why do you ask that about Joan (the redhead)? I thought they'd shown her with her boyfriend at least once this season, maybe more. They weren't in-your-face about it, but I've known that she was in a relationship with someone outside of the office this season. Do you think she has made up this whole story of dating a doctor and getting engaged? Why would she do that? It doesn't seem to go along with her personality (making up an engagement, I mean). I can completely believe that she's been proposed to many times before. I'm just a little stunned that she finally said yes to one of them.

I don't think Don is going to keep up anything with the comedian's wife. She doesn't seem like his type. A bit too much trouble. He prefers discretion & this isn't so discreet anymore.

I liked the advice that Bobbie and Don (in the flashback) gave to Peggy. There really is a lot of strength in being a woman. And it really is amazing what a person can get over in time.

Speaking of which, it's clear now that Don knows Peggy's secret, but Peter does not know about the baby. I hope that on some level Don and Peggy can respect one another despite all of this. I like when Peggy told him that she didn't want him to hate her just because her presence reminded him of what happened (the accident, the arrest, etc.). Other people - like Peter - would have used this against Don, but Peggy was worried about him using it against her. It shows how different she is than the others.

I noticed that Peggy's sister appeared pregnant in that flashback. Could it just be padding? I suspect so, but this would all be extra intriguing if Peggy's sister lost her own pregnancy shortly after Peggy gave birth. The latter options sounds just soap opera-y enough to work, but a little too convenient.

I wonder how long the new secretary will be around. Something tells me she won't last.
kari
Hmmm. I haven't thought about the redhead lying about the doctor. Rose, I thought I remember them showing him at least once too. I think she was just biding her time, til she got a proposal from someone of an appropriate stature.

The new secretary is pretty interesting. Her questioning Ken about his title was a bit surprising. I wonder if her & Joan will be at odds even more...b/c they seem similar.

Peggy....I fell out when she addressed Don as "Don." I really liked the advice Bobbie gave her & I like that she immediately started using it.

I thought the hospital scene btw Don & Peggy was very enlightening.

Did anyone else think them switching from the scene in the doctor's office when Peter was going to leave his uh...sample, to Sterling using that paddle ball thing in his office was genius? It made me giggle.

I noticed the pregnant sister too. It would be a bit too convenient if she had a child that died at the same time or right after. Plus, she doesn't seem to be in mourning. I think she was faking.
girltrouble
omg, kari i loved the paddle transition. even the dialog was hilarious "people don't know what i'm doing, it adds an air of mystique." i love the sense of humor in the show, it's not played up, it's just slid in there. that's what i always loved about 6 ft under. great drama, but a great subtle sense of humor.

as for joan, i didn't see the ep, with her boyfriend so that's new to me. mayhap that's why i thought it was a lie. well there's that and how it's never really shown in depth like the other characters. she's certainly not like some of the executives whose lives we know about, she strikes me as one of the more major ones, but her life is never really revealed. but i missed a bunch of 1st season eps so i could have missed some of that too.

the pregnant sister seemed angry last episode about not having a child. the things she confessed to the priest, and how she did it, i'm thinking she might have miscarried.

i don't know. i kind of feel like the comedian's wife, bobbie was his type--- i.e. his equal. the way they talked about business, how she loved negotiation ("it's hand to hand combat!") and how she was pushing him to say what he actually liked. later they agreed on movies, the ocean... i hope they don't write her out, i'd love to see her give more advise to peggy, she reminds me a bit of "wild" neighbor who had kids out of wedlock in don's 'hood. there aren't enough women in the show who are rebels. bobbie is constantly flexing her muscles, joan is the only other woman to do that before the recent thing with peggy, but her flexing was mostly against other women at work. bobbie is the most autonomous charecter on the show, more so even than don.

i think the last scene was a metaphor for how don feels about his marriage right now. his lying (and his cheating) was the "spice" in his life. his wife tells him "he'll get used to it" when he asks for salt on his meatloaf-- the most domestic of 'comfort foods' holds little comfort. when asked why don can't have any salt, his wife replies, "because we love him." a suffocating response. any danger, thrill, risk, pleasure-- any spice is not to be found there. camera pulls back and he is framed (filmicly trapped) as we go further back-- a visual way of implying that bland hermetically sealed house.

god i live this show!
thirtiesgirl
Ugh. I tried to stay awake last night, but I've started back to work after summer break, so I was a little bushed this weekend and couldn't stay awake through the whole episode last night. Sounds like I missed a good one, but I'm getting the general gist from the comments posted here. If anyone wants to PM me and fill me in on what else happened, I'd be grateful. (I'm not one of those folks who needs to see every episode and won't get mad at you for spilling the beans on eps I haven't seen.)

Very interesting about the red head's engagement (I did catch that at the beginning of the show). I'd be willing to bet she's making it up as some means of getting back at Sterling...or whatever the name of Don's boss is. (I'm bad with names on this show, too.) I find her very passive aggressive and I could see her playing that game. ...If so, though, the question is, where'd she get the engagement ring, and is it the real thing?
girltrouble
there is a marathon this sunday where they show all the eps for the 2nd season.

... i want a first season marathon...
thirtiesgirl
Ooo, goody! Will have to keep my eyes peeled for that. Thanks.
candycane_girl
rosev, which episodes showed Joan having a boyfriend? I swear I can't remember it ever coming up. I love that there are so many little twists and secrets that have yet to come out and so far, they're all believable. I'm only saying that because Nip/Tuck started off with little interesting twists and then just got ridiculous and too campy even for me.
roseviolet
CCGirl, I wish I could remember. I'm sure there must have been something, though, because I was not at all surprised that she had a boyfriend nor that he was a doctor, so I must have gotten that info from somewhere. I just can't remember if it was the first episode of this season or maybe the second.
lananans
I'm intrigued by the whole Ken Cosgrove earning more money thing. Why do you think he does?? They've never really gone into his job description...

missladyj
I covet every dress Joan wears.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.