Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Here kitty, kitty kitty...
The BUST Lounge > Forums > Friends and Family
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20
deschatsrouge
If I was absolutely sure she was already fixed and had shots and didn't have FAIDS and Feline lukemia I would. The way she reacts to Lou scares me enough to not want to keep her.
pollystyrene
Ever wonder what your cat does outside?

That's assuming you let your cat out (I, of course, do not, but this guy's in Europe where it's a little different.)

Either way, it's pretty fascinating. Make sure you go to the "next trip" at the bottom of the page.

Any changes over there, deschat? I hope things got worked out somehow.
deschatsrouge
she still tries to kill la lou when she comes inside, but that hasn't stopped her form hanging her shingle. My landlady is planning on getting her to the vet, installing a cat door in the front door of the building and putting a cat box and food in the hall way. Mt landlady tried to give her away, but she just came right back.
vixen_within
I've been asked by a friend of to adopt a cat, at least temporarily. I wasn't planning on keeping a cat again for a while. But can I resist? I think not

pollystyrene
Albus has a Catster page now!

Is anyone else on Catster?
deschatsrouge
I just signed Lalou up for catster.
pollystyrene
Ooo, send Albus a friend request, deschat! I'm sure he'll say yes! wink.gif
xexyz
So, here's what I got: My mom is kittysitting Rosie while I fix up my new house, which will take a month or two. So she has Rosie at her house with her cat Jazz. Rosie has been there for about a week and a half, and my mom expressed concern that Rosie is trying to bully Jazz out of the house. She says that Rosie's pretty much taken over my mom's bedroom, which is Jazz's favorite room; now he seems to hang out in the guest room. She says that Rosie also gets very agitated and defensive when Jazz tries to play with her. I asked if Rosie was actually going after Jazz, but she said that Rosie wasn't. I told my mom that they're still getting used to each other and not to worry unless they actually start fighting.

Rosie's a very sweet cat but in the past when there have been other cats in the household the other cats have gone after Rosie. So I think she's just acting defensive because she's used to other cats picking on her. Rosie also lived in my mom's house for about a year before she got Jazz, which may explain her boldness in Jazz's territory.

Thoughts?
i_am_jan
((((kitty cat lovers near and far))))

Have GOT to get Winky signed up for Catster! Just spent HOURS checking out kitties up for adoption smile.gif

Thirtiesgirl: Mo is sooo sleek and Ella soo beautiful, look forward to any and all pics of these gorgeous babies!

deschat: the new kit sounds a widdle "shady", bless her heart, is she still hanging out with you all I wonder

xexyz: Poor Rosie, she's a good girl, I can tell. I do believe she'll be alright. Certain cats need significant time for adjustment. They need to feel very, very *comfortable* with their surroundings before they can let down their guards. She might be a little grumpy right now because you are not around, and she may not even be sleeping as well as usual as a result. But in my experience, these kitties most always come along just fine, give her a few more days ... good luck.

I have something about Winky to share but have to go right now! be back later.
deschatsrouge
My friend Peggy took in Malomar and is keeping him till the humane society can find him a permanent home.
i_am_jan
Glad Malo found a nice halfway home.

I've news about Winkie but still no time to tell it. (It's nothing bad, all good)

Meanwhile: http://www.catster.com/cats/885279

he's online! I'll be going thru this thread when I have a few minutes and checking out everykitty else's pages and add Winkie as a friend. Feel free to add us!!

xo-Ciao for now
pollystyrene
I just sent you a friend request, Jan.

Hey deschat, where's Lalou on Catster? I can't him! (her?)
auralpoison
My name is AP. And I pick up strays.

Walking back from the local equivalent of the 711 I suddenly noticed I had a new friend. This tiny little cat followed me all the way home. So CUTE! Some kind of stripey calico thing in shades of brown, black, & creme with big blue eyes. She looked awful skinny, so me being a dumb ass, I grabbed a bag of kitty treats to tempt her with. She's obviously a people cat (No collar, natch.) since she immediately knew the familiar rustle of a cat treat bag. She snarfed those down, so I grabbed her a little dish of food & some water. Once she chowed down/got her drank on, she settled into one of the porch chairs for a groom & a nap. What the hell was I thinking? She's a people cat with no collar, so somebody is gonna miss her. Please go home little kitty!
pollystyrene
I almost brought one home, or at least tended to one, tonight. When we were turning into our apartment complex, there was a cat sitting right on the corner of the entrance and it just didn't look right. Most cats won't just sit there with cars whizzing by, and he seemed sort of confused. There was someone right behind me, so I couldn't stop. After I parked the car, I went back to see if he was still there, but he was gone. Must have crossed the street or ran into the bushes. I hope he's okay.

I'm surprised LeBoy didn't give me any shit about it- usually, he wants me to just stay out of stuff like that. I think that since having Albus, he knows I can't just leave animals, especially cats, alone. And that if it were Albus out there on the corner, disoriented, he'd want someone to check on him.
auralpoison
She's still sitting out there after more than an hour & a half! I want to bring her in so BAD! But the resident bad motherfuckers will protest soundly & probably try to kill her. She's too LITTLE & she's a she! My cats are gay all the way! And I'm not sure about what she may have being that she's an indoor/outdoor cat. I keep getting up & peering at her every fifteen minutes.
deschatsrouge
QUOTE(pollystyrene @ Sep 20 2008, 07:57 PM) *
I just sent you a friend request, Jan.

Hey deschat, where's Lalou on Catster? I can't him! (her?)

here is his page

http://www.catster.com/cats/857529
auralpoison
She's baaaaack! She finished off her food & is now lounging on the welcome mat because she wants to come inside. A tiny wee kitten is holding me hostage!

kittenb
Soooooooo cute! I think you have to have her.
pollystyrene
Yeah, if you have any trouble with that one, you just send her my way. Albus thinks she's hawt.
faerietails
My foster child:

Attack of the werekitty. (this one cracks me up because he decided to yawn right when I clicked)

Lookin' more normal on my bed.

Fat guy, little head. Total pain in the ass sometimes, but he's a good guy. smile.gif
pepper
i need some advice. one of our two kitties refuses to bury his poop and it Stinks up the whole damn house! the box is cleaned daily so it's not that, i put in enough litter but not too much that they can't scratch down to the bottom of the pan (they love doing that for some reason), it's a big enough box. wtf? it's honestly so incredibly smelly, i have odor eating things and incense and air fresheners going like crazy because it's so bad. why is he not covering his mess? any ideas?
vixen_within
Is he a kitten or an adult? It might be a dominance thing. Maybe feliway could help chill him out? Sometimes they dislike the litter substance - try changing to a different type. If the stankiness is because of some digestive thing, feeding cats a bit of pumpkin sometimes helps with an upset stomach. Try adding canned pumpkin to the food, a teaspoon a day to start.
pepper
ok, i'll try the pumpkin but i'll make it fresh (since i have about 14 of them on the porch, heh). they go into the litter and they both scratch the hell out of it BeFore they go so they must not mind it too much. both of them are about a year old, neither is particularly dominant so far as i can tell. they get along, seem secure in their environment, love the boy and tolerate the baby exceedingly well. the one that refuses to bury his stanky mess is also the one that lives under the baby's highchair at meal times and tries to eat anything she'll toss overboard. she thinks it's hysterical to feed him too, grr, so i have to be ever vigilant and keep food off the floor. it would be so humorous if it wasn't. ha.
pollystyrene
My understanding is that it's probably something his mom didn't get to teach him (maybe he was taken away too soon) and there's not a whole lot you can do about it. Sometimes Albus does it, and if I notice it, I'll just use the poop scoop to cover it myself a little bit and by the time I clean the litterbox, it's hardened and dry.

The canned (or fresh) pumpkin is really good for them- works with dogs, too.
vixen_within
Pepper, i wonder if an automatic cat litter box might work for you. I've never used one only heard tell of them.
vixen_within
I have a question. I answered an ad on craigslist for a kitten - I'll be picking from a litter of 4 who are living with some adult cats. What are good health questions to ask the owners? Also is it necessary to check all kittens for worms and such?
vixen_within
Well it looks like I won't be adopting a kitten after all, but someone really should. These kitties are diabolically cute: http://toronto.en.craigslist.ca/tor/pet/886648845.html I wish I could take one home.
pollystyrene
Aww, they are cute! I meant to reply to your previous question- I think I've heard ALL kittens are born with worms. It's just something they have. I could be wrong though.

There's a really great cat message board, The Cat Site, that I post on. They're very helpful and aren't strict about starting new threads like we are, so if you are looking into other cats/kittens and have questions, you should post there.
vixen_within
That site is the Bomb. Thanks Pollystyrene.
tankgirl
all kittens have worms and need to be dewormed. You can buy stuff in the pet store, but if you are bringing it to the vet, they will probably give you some that is better measured out.
thirtiesgirl
Ok, I have to tell a cat story now about one of my catbabies (I have two), since he is THE smartest cat in the world and has just proven it to me beyond a shred of a doubt.

My boycatbaby, Momo, was diagnosed with an ear infection and I took him to the vet on Friday to get his ear cleaned out. Cat ears are apparently highly sensitive, so he needed to be sedated for the ear to be cleaned without causing pain. I picked him up at the vet on Friday afternoon on my way home from work. The vet had put one of those cone collars around his neck and head to prevent him from scratching the newly cleaned ear. He spent most of Friday evening wandering around my apartment in a slightly woozy state, bumping into things and flopping on the floor. This was partially due to the sedation, and partially due to the cone collar, which Momo wasn't used to wearing and was kind of messing with his equilibrium.

According to the vet, I needed to leave the cone collar on for at least 5 days, so I didn't plan to remove it until Wednesday or Thursday afternoon, depending on how Momo's ear progressed. Saturday afternoon, I went out to run some errands, was gone a few hours, and came home to find Momo flopped out on the floor, wearing his cone. Sunday afternoon, same thing. I ran some errands and came home to find Momo wearing his cone, flopped on the floor. His chosen spot to flop was in the hallway, directly in front of my bathroom.

Today I was nervous about going to work and leaving Momo home with the cone on. When I got home this afternoon, I fully expected to see him wobbling up to me, cone around his head, trying not to bump into things. Imagine my surprise when I was greeted by a non-wobbly kitty, completely cone free. I ran around the apartment looking for it, expecting that maybe he'd yanked himself out after getting stuck somewhere...but no. There it was, on the floor, right in front of the bathroom. I have no idea how he did it, but somehow, Momo pulled the cone off his head.

So far, his ear seems to be ok, so I guess he knew what was best for him. I'm just completely flabbergasted that he got the cone off his head by himself. I still can't believe it. Proof positive that he's one sharp cat.

culturehandy
In my boredom at work, I fell upon this, it's pretty darned cute.

pollystyrene
Ha, coincidentally, my friend sent me this through i-am-bored.com today. Ha ha, I got an 87% chance. Wait, that's not funny.
tommynomad
This week an old friend used FaceCrack to its best ends. They'd found a dog wandering around their neighbourhood. Took him home, took his picture, and sent it out. It took 24 hours to find his owners!
CandyMandyDandy
that's so awesome! congrats!
treehugger
heehee...my cousin just sent me this video:

Why the printer won't work
zora
Any ideas for fixing dry skin on itchy kitties? I was suggesting cod liver oil, but that shit's expensive, yo.
pollystyrene
I just use regular fish oil pills, like these. My cat doesn't have any problems, but I use them with the dog, and he actually prefers the Target house brand, not Walgreen's. Crazy dog. rolleyes.gif
stargazer
i became mama to a kitty. he is probably the most energetic kitty i've ever had. he loves to run all over the place. in fact, when i'm around, he never gets tired of playing.

there is one habit he has that i need advice to try to break him of. when he plays, he loves to bite. not hard. but, still, it is annoying. oh, and any limb i move, like my hands or arms...he attacks. and that shit hurts with his claw.

plus, when i'm on my mac, he'll start attacking the mac. heh well, he'll try chewing the sides. sometimes. i usually just shoo him away. he gets the hint after a while.

i'm sure all of these traits can be the result of being a 12 week old kitten. it's been 9 years since i've had a kittens. hopefully this kitty will ease up. any advice will help.
crazyoldcatlady
omg i want to see kitty pictures star!!
vixen_within
QUOTE(stargazer @ Dec 7 2008, 06:40 PM) *
i became mama to a kitty. he is probably the most energetic kitty i've ever had. he loves to run all over the place. in fact, when i'm around, he never gets tired of playing.

there is one habit he has that i need advice to try to break him of. when he plays, he loves to bite. not hard. but, still, it is annoying. oh, and any limb i move, like my hands or arms...he attacks. and that shit hurts with his claw.

plus, when i'm on my mac, he'll start attacking the mac. heh well, he'll try chewing the sides. sometimes. i usually just shoo him away. he gets the hint after a while.

i'm sure all of these traits can be the result of being a 12 week old kitten. it's been 9 years since i've had a kittens. hopefully this kitty will ease up. any advice will help.

Hey Stargazer, *kitten!!!!* what does he look like?
You know I've heard that kittens who are separated from their litters a bit soon don't learn proper playing etiquette (like what hurts, and what a play bite should feel like). I don't know if that's the case with your sweetie or if that's really helpful info at this point..

Anyway for solving the problem, when kitten is biting you, gently stick a finger into his mouth and gently but firmly push down on his tongue. This teaches him (eventually) that he shouldn't bite you. He'll keep trying but less and less as he learns.

If you have to extract your hands and feet from him without wrestling with him (and reinforcing his idea that you're playing) you can say NO sharply in your best drill sargent voice - I mean not hollering, but firmly- sudden noises distract them just long enough for you to get your hands and feet away. No fast movements though, cause he'll think play is still on..

You can also pick him up by the scruff of the neck like his mom, say No firmly, and hold him down and still like this for a few seconds cool down time. It's a humbling experience that he won't like, but will retain in his kitten noggin.

The important thing is to make sure that everyone in the house follows the same rules with the cat and his training - no mixed messages.

ETA: I was looking up on the web for an article that backs up the tongue pushing thing and found this blog post how to stop kitten biting . This woman says she uses a quick burst of air from a can of computer duster (really quick so as not to hurt the cat) or purses her lips and blows on his face and it also helps.
stargazer
your awesome vixen! thanks for the tips.

yea, not reinforcing aggressive behavior will be tough since my stepdad encourages it with all the other animals. but, i think he is responsive to my stern nos and gentle pats on the butt. i also got one of those air bottles to shoo him away from plants.

just had a minor heart attack. parents' dog is super unpredictable and mean some times (especially when he is eating). he snapped at the kitty who was walking up to sniff...*gulp* my heart was in my throat. i really don't like that dog. dry.gif
SUPERLUVER
i have to agree with the good advice about the scruff-grabbing maneuver. it works like a charm! my bf uses it when my doodle-baby is being REALLY bad. it seems to momentarily paralyze them. she then usually grumps off for a while, but doesnt hold a grudge. also, for the nails, you can easily train them to become used to having them trimmed, and it is a cinch to do yourself. it is more difficult when they are kittens, because they squirm like crazy, but heres what i did: wrap the kitty in a blanket like a leetle swaddled baby(and have someone else hold them firmly), securely keeping their arms inside, pull out one paw at a time and snip fast, cooing and consoling them the whole time. the back feet are not as crucial to clip as the front paws, so if you can only get the front talons done at first, youre good. then release them and give them treats right away and praise. good kitty punkin baby pie!!! lather, rinse, repeat. after a few months of this, they get pretty used to it, and when they are adults, you can do it by yourself, sans swaddle. good luck, im sure your new baby will settle down! shower them with affection, and they always turn out wonderful! smile.gif
vixen_within
QUOTE(SUPERLUVER @ Dec 12 2008, 07:49 PM) *
... shower them with affection, and they always turn out wonderful! smile.gif

awww so true!

pollystyrene
I've found a piece of polar fleece works best when swaddling a cat for claw clipping, because it's a little stretchy, so you can really wrap them snuggly but they're still comfortable. Let me know if you need help with clipping claws, star- I am the claw-clipping queen at the shelter- there's been very few cats I haven't been able to clip. I'm off of work that week between Christmas and New Years and as long as the weather's not too crappy, I'd be happy to take a trip over the border to you.

Also, don't underestimate the importance of clipping the back claws. A friend of another volunteer at the shelter had to give up their cats and almost had to have his leg amputated. The cat was sitting on his lap; this was over the summer and he was wearing shorts. The cat got freaked out by a noise or something and launched off his leg, giving him a deep scratch with his back claws. He washed it out and everything, but the next day it was really puffy and red. He knew not to mess around with cat scratches, so he went to the ER and he ended up in the hospital for a week, at one point nearly having to have his leg amputated because the bacteria on the cat's claws went right into his bloodstream. They were able to save his leg, though, but he had to get rid of his cats because his immune system will be compromised forever and he can't risk getting scratched again. sad.gif You don't have to clip them as short as you would the front, but at least the tips, just to blunt them.
stargazer
oh.my.goodness. that's an awful story polly. i agree that kitty needs a claw clipping. i will contact you about getting together to clip the kittens nails. thanks so much for volunteering your skills.

thanks so much vixen and superluver about the kitty disciplining techniques. this kitty is really smart. he actually listens to me. i don't need to yell or anything to get his attention. i just talk with him. he is pretty responsive. i'm learning that kittens are like babies/toddlers. shiloh will keep going and going (he gets even more rambunctious when he is tired) until i give him a time out. i will put him in his carrier for a little while so he can get some rest. seems to work for him.

i'm so glad i got him. i am the worrier as a mommie with the other animals. just the dog really. the other cat and shiloh were running around the house playing yesterday. it was so cute to see.
auralpoison
My cats are like dogs. They listen. It actually amazed the neighbors last summer the way I had them under my thumb. I let them explore, kills some bugs, have fun, but when I called them back they came. Even if they grumbled.

I'm very worried right now. My little black ball of fluff is now a little old man. Fifteen in Feb. He's had a catch in his getalong the past week. I took him to the vet, he said he didn't feel anything broken, but it somehow doesn't feel right to me. The vet gave him a steroid shot & I've been giving him an anti inflammatory every other day since last Wed. The vet said I should see a quick improvement. I've not, he actually seems worse. He's really favoring his rear right paw, but it doesn't seem to impede him. He still jumps all over shit, now just a bit more gingerly.

I'm terribly worried that it's his time soon. I cried for my mother twice. When my sweet bebe passes, I shall be crushed. CRUSHED. It's a heartbreak I am unsure I can come back from. He's had my back since I was a wee lass. To lose him . . . would shatter my heart into a million billion trillion pieces.
pollystyrene
(((AP)))
SUPERLUVER
i give to you.... many many cyber shoulders to lean on .........
auralpoison
I know I'm just being stupid, everything must come to an end. It's natural. But he's my BABY. MY BABY. There have been times when I've been dead ass broke, but he's always had food. He's never gone without. He's on the bed next to me licking his back right now & I don't know what I'll do when he's gone. Except cry. A lot.

I even looked into one of those weird pet taxidermy places. For $675 I could have him stuffed in a nice sleeping position & keep him that way forever.

Yeah, I'm sick.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.