Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Here kitty, kitty kitty...
The BUST Lounge > Forums > Friends and Family
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20
pollystyrene
I feel the same way about Albus. I've loved all the cats in my life (from the time I was born: Tommy, Bridget, Mischa, Slrt, Sophie, Max, B.K., Silvie, Milo, Kali, Neon...I feel like I'm forgetting someone) but Albus is the first cat that I haven't had to share with my family (other than LeBoy) and it's totally different. I think part of it is that I nursed him back from the brink of death and, unlike most cats would be, he's totally appreciative of it. I'm just dreading the time when I'm going to have to let go. sad.gif

It will get easier, AP, I promise. Don't feel dumb about feeling this bad about a cat. And if it weren't so cost-prohibitive, I'd consider the taxidermy, too. wink.gif

Do you have a picture of him?
auralpoison
Monk is the first pet I've ever had that was all my own. Hell, my folks didn't even like cats.
vixen_within
He looks incredibly soft. And Monk is a good name.

QUOTE(pollystyrene @ Dec 18 2008, 10:40 PM) *
...Albus is the first cat that I haven't had to share with my family (other than LeBoy) and it's totally different. I think part of it is that I nursed him back from the brink of death and, unlike most cats would be, he's totally appreciative of it...

It's surprising how attached we get to them when they feel like our own responsibility alone, primary care-giving, primary love.

I got a small cat from the shelter this last weekend - I'd been fluffing her nest for weeks in anticipation while waiting for her to be released from foster care. She's about 5 and loves cuddling, anytime, anywhere. She cries a lot which I'm trying to train her away from. The advice I've gotten is to completely ignore her when she's meowing too much, and lavish her with affection when she's quiet.

I don't know how long I can deny that I am becoming a cat lady (considering "baby" as a name for her the first giveaway). I'm so happy to have her living with me.
stargazer
((AP)) what a bundle of cuteness!
rubberdollz
So my husband and I last year adopted a cute 1 year old black kitty named Deebo... he was such an amazing man! Yesterday unfortunately we had to put him to sleep. He had developed crystals in his bladder and they blocked him, by the time we got to the vet his bladder had hardened. It was devastating news.

It's so hard to think of the time and attention you give to them and then to have them go so quickly and young. He used to come into the bedroom with us and snuggle in-between our pillows. I was doing the dishes a little while ago and I almost started crying when I thought about him climbing on our window to look out at the squirrels that surround the house.

We have 2 other female cats in the house but nothing beats a male cats personality! He was a very good man, I used to say that he looked like a little llama with the way he walked and the shape of his body.

Ugh... I wish I could have had more time with Deebo. It's sad that I can't give him more time or maybe not had him be in pain for the last day of his life.
wayfarergirl
I'm a newbie and love to have found this kitty thread laugh.gif

I have two beautiful teenage girls, Crookshanks and Buffy biggrin.gif. They are my loves.

Crookshanks LOVES crisp plastic wrappers, like off the tops of jars. And when I say love I mean obsessed. She runs into the kitchen and freaks out every time I'm in there. LOL Any one else's cat crazy about plastic?

my loves biggrin.gif
thirtiesgirl
Aww, ((hugs)) Rubberdollz. Sorry to hear about your baby.

Wayfarer, my kitties like plastic, too. I've learned they're attracted to the crackling noise it makes when they play with it or chew on it. My catbabies particularly like heavier plastic shopping bags. If I have one on hand, I'll leave it lying around on the floor for a few days for them to play with and chew on.
humanist77
The two adorable boys I have to leave behind with this breakup.
I'm demanding visitation rights : (

my favorite boys
Calvin and Hermes
pollystyrene
QUOTE(humanist77 @ Jan 8 2009, 07:14 PM) *
The two adorable boys I have to leave behind with this breakup.
I'm demanding visitation rights : (

my favorite boys
Calvin and Hermes

Hey, what about visitation rights for that Kick the Cheat? Can I come over and kick it one last time? sad.gif
humanist77
You're free to kick it when you come over to help me move wink.gif
pollystyrene
Can I kick it into my car? Hmm, I don't know where it went!
hellcat
Humanist - I'm in a similar boat. I just had to leave my two kits due to a break-up. I did the breaking so I'm the one moving to my Ma's (holla!) and her building says "no kitties". I feel like I've abandoned Charlie and Leela. I stayed level-headed during the final break-up, but when I went to pack a bag to leave littlest Leela was in the closet all staring at me, how I cried and smelled her honey scented furbelly. I miss them terribly.
Your Calvin and Hermes are a-dor-a-ble and they are missing you.

-hellcat (formerly venusindisguise - hiya!)
SUPERLUVER
i didnt know where else to put this..........too funny!

Fish...Kittens of the Sea!!

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.p...toryId=99249669
hellcat
I found out yesterday that my Charlie is quite ill. After my human break-up I had to leave Charlie with the ex. Ex called me yesterday to let me know what was up. Vet says his teeth have to be pulled (but she'll keep his canines..) and they took blood and did a skin biopsies. We knew he had an autoimmune disease. Oh, how we used to joke about Charlie's former life on the streets where he picked up his FAIDS. I went over to visit Charlie yesterday and he looks just awful. He didn't come to the door, he just sits all stiffly and refuses to be picked up, he is barely eating and he just looks so sickly. His coat is icky looking and patches of it are falling out. Test results should be back today and I can't seem to stop thinking about what will happen next. I wish I could spend more time with Charlie but he lives quite far and I don't know what to do.

Also...Fish Kittens? Absurd tactic!
lunia666
My baby as you can see he is well loved smile.gif
I hand raised him
http://img.makeupalley.com/4/9/1/0/1180578.JPG
rubberdollz
Holy lord Lunia666!! That is a mighty hefty kitty but totally adorable!!!!! I love big kitties!!!

Ugh... makes me miss my boys.. *sigh*
lunia666
Yeah he was one of a litter of 6 that were left in a box outside the clinic door. Every one was bright orange and white but him . He was twice the size of the other cats and drank more then his fair share of milk and still does smile.gif
stargazer
Fur Baby Love!
vixen_within
Aiiieeee! I've been looking for a kitten cam forever! I love that there's live commenting scrolling beside it too.
stargazer
Kitties on a Roomba!
stargazer
anyone have good suggestions for cat scratching posts? i found this shorter cat scratch post or this slightly taller one. kitty seems to like the feel of sisal on his paws. in the past, he has tried to scratch my folks sisal rug and the furniture has a sisal feel to it. so, i think i will be safe buying one with this type of material. he doesn't struggle as much when i cut his nails. my parents help me. i' m hoping with age he will be better with the nail clipping part. any suggestions on cat scratching posts would be great!
bunnyb
Sorry, star, but I'm no help: Mandoo isn't interested in his scratching post.

For cat lovers (which I assume everybody in this thread it): read Colette's "The Cat" ("Le Chat" in the original French); a beautiful short story with a Russian Blue as a central (and titular) protagonist.
pollystyrene
I'd go with the taller one- I've heard they're more likely to use it if they can stretch out as much as possible, so the taller the better.
stargazer
thanks bunnyb and polly. i really want to get this cat tree (it's made of wood and not tacky looking like carpet cat trees) and attach a sisal rug to the back of it and place it high enough so he can scratch it. maybe when my tax return comes in. he really loves his scratching posts that is horizontal. we shall see.
pollystyrene
If you're looking for other ideas, people on The Cat Site recommend this company: Armarkat. Yeah, they're the cheesy-style cat trees, but they say they're really well-made and pretty inexpensive.

ETA: If he likes the horizontal one, there's also those cardboard ones...Petco has a lot of them- what about that wavey one? It's made of sisal.
stargazer
thanks polly! i looked on the cat forum site and i must've missed this link rolleyes.gif these are definitely cheaper and within my price range. i have that wavy one! kitty loves it alot. i make sure to tell him "good kitty" so he will continue to use his scratching furniture.
bunnyb
Does anybody have any experience moving cats over long distances? It's looking likely that we're going to bring my cat, Mandoo, to live with us but I'm concerned about the car journey, which is about 8 hours. When my parents moved in '07 he sat on my knee, in his carrier, quite distressed and cried continually and that journey was only for about 40 minutes. I am worried that his heart wouldn't take it and considering having him sedated for the journey - has anybody done that with their cat? How safe is it?
stargazer
Yay for Mandoo coming to live with you!! smile.gif I found this article about tips for traveling with cats. I would just say not to give him anything to eat or drink the day of travel. Just keep talking to Mandoo during the trip. Animals pick up on your feeling state so if you are anxious, then Mandoo will be too. When I took Shiloh to the vet I just kept talking to him. Mandoo will make noises which is expected. Cats feel vulnerable when they are not able to protect themselves in their environment. I would suggest leaving Mandoo's carrier down so he can get used to it and not associate it with going to the vet or on a trip.

Either my cat takes risks or is gullible like his mama 'cause when I bought his carrier I put it down and he walked right in. I was expecting drama and a good fight. Nope. He was even willing to go in on his own when I had to take him to the vet after his snip snip. rolleyes.gif

Let us know how it goes for Mandoo!
pollystyrene
Hooray for mandoo coming to live with you, bunny!

I've heard good stuff about Bach's Rescue Remedy. I've heard sedating (just tranquilizers, I assume you mean, not anesthesia) them can be more trouble than it's worth, that a lot of times the cat is sort of "out of it" but just as anxious.

You may want to poke around on The Cat Site- it's a really good forum for cat info. People are friendly and knowledgeable. They're not picky about starting new threads, so if you don't find the info you want, you can start a new thread.
auralpoison
I have traveled quite a bit with my kitties between here & home, six hours+. They have responded really well to travel. They don't like it, but they suck it up.

My formula: I get the cat carriers/luggage out three days before the trip, so they know what's happening. They aren't dumb: they KNOW what cat carriers/mama's luggage means. And I usually do the pre-surgery thing: Food & water stop at midnight before the morning of travel. Nobody wants to get stuck in a shitty/pissy cage. I ease them into the carriers as best I can, they each have cushy flannel pillows on which to situate & get a handful of treats/some water for being such good babies. They are a bit wiggy in the first half hour of travel, & they get a little wiggy when we stop (I always reassure them & pet them through the bars & talk to them.), but all in all they are cool. As soon as we get to the destination, they are first priority, into the house & out of the carriers.

I'm not so down with tranqs & such as when I first got the one he'd been tranqed for travel & he hurled for two days. It seemed really rough for him considering it was only a twelve hour journey & he was so damned ill.
girl_logic
I brought a sedated cat from Vancouver to Toronto by plane and the poor thing clawed frantically in her carrier under the seat for most of the trip. It could've been that she didn't accept enough of the medication in her system, but I wouldn't repeat or recommend it.
bunnyb
Thanks for the advice, everyone. He won't be coming down until August (dependent on landlord and money situation) so I have a while to prepare. I definitely won't sedate and hope that being calm myself will calm him.
I'm so excited; I miss him so much (some of you know how crazy I've been without him). I'm also trying not to get my hopes up too much ... and failing!
auralpoison
So I'm pretty sure my favorite little man is gonna give up the ghost in the next thirty-six hours. If not, I'm going to the vet to have him euthanized on Monday. He's been unwell since Xmas, but he's taken a serious downturn in the past week. Today he actually LAID DOWN in the LITTER BOX. Thank god it was clean.

I've been preparing for this, but I already feel a huge hole in my soul.
stargazer
(((AP))) sad.gif
girl_logic
Be good to yourself today ((AP))
devotchka
I am in love with this thread and everyone has such beautiful kitties!

Here is the centre of my universe, Bertie

http://i39.tinypic.com/zujgno.jpg Trying to sleep

http://i43.tinypic.com/15ob3n4.jpg His sexy pose

He was feral in Manchester before we brought him home. You wouldn't believe it either, he is the most loving and sweet cat you could hope to meet.
treehugger
((((ap)))) so sad to hear that.
pollystyrene
((AP)) sad.gif
sassygrrl
((Ap)))
auralpoison
Thanks, guys. I'm just really trying not to think about it. Thankfully my other fuzzy has become ultra needy, so we've been soothing each other.
bunnyb
(((AP and other kitty))) I'm so sorry sad.gif.
deschatsrouge
((((ap))))
girl_logic
I'm having a problem with territory - Long post ahead:

My 3 yo female kitty and I have been living happily in my apartment since I got her from the shelter in November. She's easy going and gets along with dogs, so I didn't expect any of the issues that have come up.

My new roommate arrived two days ago with a gorgeous 3 year old female. Problems. From what I've recently read it looks like we started out too fast and all wrong - the new cat walked around the apartment as soon as she got here and was quite at home within hours. When my sleeping cat woke up and ventured out of my room, they were surprised to see each other (que low growls and hisses).

Within hours apparently the new cat has already claimed the west side of the apartment. My cat will barely set foot outside of my room. My cat's food and litter is on that side of the apartment. I tried to lure her with wet food, I've tried to carry her to that side but she tries desperately to get out of my arms and run back East. I've mopped, waxed and sprayed to remove the scent of the other cat, but even with the new cat out of sight, she's still very frightened.

Late last night, my cat seems to have made it West, probably to use the litter, but the other cat got out of my roommate's room and chased my cat back into my room.

It's day three -the new cat is behind the doors of my roommate's room and seems happy to stay there, my cat is still spooked and won't leave, but is her normal self while she's in my room. I've brought her food in here.

It's a rather small apartment. I don't know what to do. Is there any way to change the other cat's behaviour and to reassure my cat, and to get them to share this space?
sassygrrl
Mcgeek's cat died. It was strange to find his body today, although I think he was 13.
Even though it wasn't my cat, I'm still sad.

girl_logic
FUCK cat pee on my bed. The poor thing is more terrified of going outside of my room than I thought.
What would you guys do?
bunnyb
(((sassygrrl))) I'm sorry sad.gif.
stargazer
(((sassy)))

(((girl_logic))) I was going to suggest the Cat Site Forum, but, I noticed your posted there. wink.gif I also found this information through the anticruelty society helpful. I think the main thing is to let your cat be the dominant cat. The new cat should have to wait until your kitty has gotten used to the new cat's scent. When you introduce the new cat, the cat should be introduced by its backside in a submissive pose. It's all about building tolerance. I did the same thing when I got my new kitty. Although, I think Shiloh is like his mama and can just make friends with anyone. He keeps jumping on my parents' cat wanting to play and the old kitty ain't feelin' it. laugh.gif
girl_logic
Yes, I posted over yonder. But I feel shy to shout a cathartic cuss word over there, there's a ladies home & gardens feel tongue.gif
I have to admit I'm getting pissed off about the situation. My roommate seems blissfully unconcerned about the hassle and expense this is turning out to be for me, not to mention how upsetting it is for me to see my cat so unhappy. I think she'll be leaving in July, so that would be good we'll just have to cope with the next 6 weeks.

Thank you for that suggestion.

"When you introduce the new cat, the cat should be introduced by its backside in a submissive pose." That's intense!
girl_logic
Aw a feelgood story about a kitten rescue. The cute video footage made my day. The moral of the story "home owners - cover your drain pipes!" http://www.citynews.ca/news/news_34792.aspx
pollystyrene
Heads Up!

There's been another recall of Nutro Dry Cat Foods. Not seriously toxic- just too much zinc and potassium in the mix. It won't hurt them in the short-term, but you wouldn't want to keep feeding it to your cats.

Here are the foods that ARE affected:
http://www.nutroproducts.com/press-recall/...d-Products.html

Here are the foods that are NOT affected:
http://www.nutroproducts.com/press-recall/...d-Products.html

And this is CAT FOOD ONLY, not dog food!

Here's what to do if you have some of the affected food:
http://www.nutroproducts.com/press-recall/doIDoNext.html

I've been feeding Albus one of the affected foods, so it will be going back to the pet store today. They're completely taking the affected varieties off the shelves until they can make a new batch, so they suggest some substitutions for the bad stuff.

I haven't noticed anything different with Albus- mostly he was pretty annoyed with me this morning since I took the dry food away last night! He's due for his shots, so I made him an appointment with the vet for Friday, and I'll mention it to them.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.