Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Here kitty, kitty kitty...
The BUST Lounge > Forums > Friends and Family
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20
pollystyrene
Oh no, star! I'm so sorry about Fatty- he was such a sweet cat! But it's good you're doing the right thing right away.

I know how it feels- when I was about 12 or so, one of our cats died while we were on our annual Christmas trip in Kansas City. He had swallowed a needle and thread he found while we were gone and my uncle, who was checking on the house while we were gone, found him- it had torn through his digestive system. We found out the day we were driving home and it was the most depressing drive home ever. My parents stopped at a restaurant for a cup of coffee on the way, one we'd stop at every year prior to this, and humanist and I stayed in the car. After that year, we never stopped at that restaurant again and whenever we would drive past it, we all get a little misty-eyed and think of Slrt. (Yes, his name was "Slrt"- no "u"; humanist picked that one out when she was about 5 or 6.)

Then a few years ago, another cat of ours had some sort of pulmonary problem (we think) and his lungs filled up with fluid. My parents were in KC and I stayed home that year. He started having trouble breathing, so I took him into the vet on December 23rd. The vet said they could drain the fluid and he'd be okay for awhile. I wasn't sure what to do, so I took him home and called my parents. They said to go ahead and do it, so I called the vet back; by this time they were closed for the day and were supposed to be closed the 24th, too. The vet called me back that night and told me to bring him in and they'd come in on the 24th anyway to do it. They drained the fluid, the cat was much better. He stayed much better until March or so, when he started having trouble breathing again. My parents took him back in, and had it drained again. They figured if they had to have him drained every few months, it wouldn't be so bad- it was only about $80 every time they did it, and his quality of life in between was fine. Well, his lungs re-filled within a couple of days this time and they knew the problem had worsened severely and it was time to put him to sleep. sad.gif

LeBoy sends his condolences, too, to you and your mom and step-dad.
stargazer
Thanks polly and leboy. I think what adds to the layer of sadness is the unexpectedness of his death AND it's on Christmas Day, you know. It felt like a total sucker punch to the gut as a family. Shiloh is comforting me and being more laidback so I wonder if he senses something. Aw. I know Shiloh will miss Midnight. He loved playing with him. sad.gif
pollystyrene
I don't know where Fatty is now (literally, not spiritually) but if he's at home, you may want to let Shiloh sniff him, so he'll understand. Animals grieve just as humans do (not to imply we're not animals, but you know what I mean) and it would probably help him to know what's going on.

I wish there was a way we could explain what happened to Tana to Albus, but he didn't die, so there's nothing to sniff. I think Albus is really confused about what happened and I do think his behavior has changed since Tana left.

(((more hugs for you and your family)))
stargazer
Thanks for the tip, polly. We let Shiloh sniff him before my stepdad took Fatty to the Vet. He's resting in the back yard with our previous animals who passed. Strange, the house seemed alittle bit quieter yesterday. I find that I keep looking for him. When I get up in the morning to feed Shiloh, Fatty would be trying to hustle me to feed him too. He wasn't there this morning.

This cat's passing really hit our family hard. I'm still tearing up over that cat. I really got used to seeing his face often. He had this way to segue his way onto your lap when you were watching tv. sad.gif
treehugger
Star,

You probably know this already, but it's okay to cry. I cried for a week or so when Fujie left.

((((stargazer))))
ketto
(((star))) I'm so sorry.
deschatsrouge
((((Star))))
sassygrrl
((Star) So sorry. When I was about 10, our cat Spikey had a stroke suddenly. It was weird. My dog felt sad (cried almost) for a few weeks. You know this, but it's okay to be sad and cry.

(((more hugs for you and your family)))))
deschatsrouge
Mrs. Rouge and I are taking MCR to the vet because it appears he has end of life kidney failure. Mrs. Rouge and I have decided against any extraordinary (and expensive) measures that would just prolong his suffering. We have agreed that we are going to establish an end of life care plan to make him more comfortable, and have the vet help us determine when he is suffering so we can let him go.

I'm dealing with this in a rational way because I just don't feel like crying.

I feel so morbid trying to find a vessel for his ashes while he is sleeping on the couch.
sassygrrl
((deschatsrouge))) (((toto)))

I just went thru over a year with our dog Bailey dealing with heart failure. We did have to put him down this weekend, but he stayed with us for a year. I honestly got sick of paying the bills for him. I know that sounds heartless, but it came down to money. Mcgeek and I fought about this a lot, because Bailey was his dog and not mine.

(((much love for you and MCR))))

I know this is weird especially after Bailey dying, and I shouldn't do this yet, but my Miles cat really needs a friend.
stargazer
(((deschatsrouge & mrs. rouge)))
ketto
(((deschatsrouge and family)))

deschatsrouge
Thanks all. I have a difficult time grieving. I have never cried at a funeral. Mrs. Rouge says I should let myself just feel sad

I'm thinking of getting a vessel for MCR's ashes like this. It's very autumnal, like his colors.
deschatsrouge
We had to put MCR to sleep on Friday. It was the first time I cried over grief of loss.
pollystyrene
((((deschat & Mrs. Rouge)))) So sorry for your loss.
ketto
(((deschatsrouge and family)))
sassygrrl
(((((deschatsrouge))) I'm so sorry.
deschatsrouge
Mrs. Rouge and I tried to go catless. We only just managed to go a week and a day. We decided to get another kitty. We brought him home on the 13th and had Valentines day early. We got him from the humane society. He's six and a half months old. He's an orange tabby just like our departed MCR. We decided to keep his pound name, Ollie. He's cute and rambunctious. He seems to think that Mrs. Rouge and I should wake up at 5 am. I'm hoping he grows out of being an early riser.
pollystyrene
Aww! When they're kittens, they're just crazy and they're going to wake you up whenever. But one thing that helped us was feeding Albus right before we go to bed (he free feeds dry food, but his wet food is on a once-a-day schedule) instead of in the morning. Otherwise, he associates you getting up with getting food.
auralpoison
Hope you're feeling better, Deschats & family. I still haven't been able to bring myself to save a new furry friend.

Oh, god, that early rising kitty phase! That was a nightmare. I didn't have to be in any of my classses before noon, Monk wanted to be up & at 'em at six. He liked to jump on my head & nibble on any exposed body part he could get at (Noses & toeses!). Nothing you can do until they're grown.

When he started prowling around being weird at night as a grown cat, I'd open a gel cap of melatonin & rub it onto his fave scratching post. Mellowed his ass out but good & it wasn't harmful to him.
deschatsrouge
Thanks so much for your thoughts. I had prepared myself for feeling sad when MCR died. I was not prepared for the hole that he left. That was a huge shock. that is the reason I needed to get another kitty. the house was just so empty.

QUOTE(pollystyrene @ Feb 17 2010, 04:27 AM) *
But one thing that helped us was feeding Albus right before we go to bed (he free feeds dry food, but his wet food is on a once-a-day schedule) instead of in the morning. Otherwise, he associates you getting up with getting food.

I'm going to try that and see if it works. He has gotten better. He has begun waiting till eight. That still does not fly on the weekend when we sleep till noon.

QUOTE(auralpoison @ Feb 17 2010, 05:13 AM) *
When he started prowling around being weird at night as a grown cat, I'd open a gel cap of melatonin & rub it onto his fave scratching post. Mellowed his ass out but good & it wasn't harmful to him.

I have some melatonin in pill form. I'm going to brainstorm ideas on how to administer it to BCR.

Thanks you guys. It's nice to have a place where folks understand what a furbaby is.
stargazer
QUOTE(pollystyrene @ Feb 17 2010, 12:27 AM) *
But one thing that helped us was feeding Albus right before we go to bed (he free feeds dry food, but his wet food is on a once-a-day schedule) instead of in the morning. Otherwise, he associates you getting up with getting food.

Dude. My cat STILL pounces on me and starts acting out by knocking shit down to be feed at 5 am even with being fed at night. Fatty McFatness would lay on my chest, sniff at my mouth, and stare me down to make me feed him. Kitten or cat, a cat will do what it needs to do to be fed. I think my cat is just a punk. And I lurve him. wink.gif
auralpoison
Derr. I am a dink, Deschats. I didn't mean melatonin, I meant valerian. It attracts like catnip (Seriously. If I opened the bottle he'd come a running, hop up onto the bathroom sink & if I held out the bottle to him he'd try to cram his whole fucking head into a two inch bottle top!) & he'd act all playful & goofy at first, but then it was like he hit the kitty cat chronic & he had his mind on his money & his money on his mind. He could not be bothered. He'd sprawl out on his back & crash but good.
pants
I was just playing with a friend's cat (Gemma the calico to be precise) who has a sock full of valerian that she plays with. She's 13 and it makes her go bonkers at first and then knocks her right out. She was more of a mind to curl up in a ball though, rather than the equally cute back sprawl Aural describes.

I'm planning to get some for Oliver in the hopes that it might curb some of his biting and the nickname Senor Chompers can be retired.
pollystyrene
You could also use Bach's Rescue Remedy. It's a little expensive, but it works. Good for anxiety (for humans, too!) and has a nice calming effect.
deschatsrouge
QUOTE(auralpoison @ Feb 17 2010, 10:42 PM) *
Derr. I am a dink, Deschats. I didn't mean melatonin, I meant valerian.

Yeah, I called the vet about melatonin and she nixed it. Valerian makes a bit more sense.
koffeewitch
My cat has been missing for the last day and a half and I am really about to flip the fuck out. He got out because my landlord took two fucking months to fix our AC unit (wish I could've called Treehugger) and we had to leave our back patio door open to be able to sleep or even breathe at night. I know all the places that Shadow usually hides when he sneaks outside and he isn't in any of them. I keep envisioning terrible things happening to him. I've googled "how to find a lost cat" for help, I go looking every few hours through the morning and night. No Shadow. My neighbor told me she saw him yesterday moning when she was leaving for work and that he ran toward the fence he usually hides behind. The only consolation I have is that he is a big scaredy cat and he doesn't approach strangers (we have lots of cruel cat-hating people in this neighborhood).
I'm trying to keep calm, but I'm really so worried I may never see him again.
pollystyrene
Oh noes! ~*~*~*~*~*~Come Home Shadow Vibes!!~*~*~*~*~*~

Did you try putting some food out for him? Something really stinky, like tuna?

My parents' big scaredy cat, Milo, got out one time- it was about a day or two until he finally came out from wherever he was hiding to come to the back door.
anarch
(((koffeewitch)))
koffeewitch
I am pleased to be able to post that Shadow is now safely at home after being MIA for 48 hours. I had already started putting up LOST CAT signs all over the complex, but that is okay. I would rather look like a neurotic cat lady than have my kitty be gone forever.

Thanks to you polly, and anarch for sending support when I was falling apart. wub.gif wub.gif
pollystyrene
Yay for Shadow!!
ketto
Yay koffee. We lost one of our cats for 14 days in a very cold spell and it was horrible. The only reason we found him is because we put posters in all the mailboxes in the surrounding streets.

My cat lives with my folks now (she's an outdoor cat and we're in an apt). Every time I visit I give her lots of attention but she seemed so old and tired the last few months. She's almost 17 so I figured it was just age. It turned out that she somehow got this abscess on her back that you couldn't see when she was lying down. She walked past my mom one day and she saw this huge gaping hole. She had a really serious infection and had to get a bunch of shots and in all likeliness, if my mom hadn't noticed it she probably would have been dead pretty quickly.

So that all happened about a month ago and she's like a totally different cat more. She's awake as soon as I come over, eating a lot more, gained a bunch of weight back, her fur is a lot glossier and she looks a couple of years younger already.

I kind of feel sick thinking about it too much though...if my mom hadn't seen it. Yikes - paperboy said he's scared of Mittens dying because I'm going to be a total wreck. She'll always be my cat.

A few weeks ago we watched my brothers cat for a month. He's only a year so he was really annoying and was constantly running up to us, hitting us, and then running away for attention. But we got used to him so now we're considering getting our own cat in the fall. An older on though.
koffeewitch
I think it would be fantastic if you adopted an older cat...everybody always only wants the kittens and the poor adult kitties need good loving homes, too!
damona
*blows off the dust*

my cats are spazzing out. it's nearly 4am and they're yelling and whining and doing that weird low growling yowl and attacking each other in a semi-playful semi-i'm-going-to-rip-your-head-off manner. these 2 are fucking weird.

also, somebody has taken to pissing behind the toilet in the same bathroom that the cat box is in. yes, the box is clean. what is up with that?
ketto
That's weird Damona, is one or both male? We had constant problems with our male cat either peeing or spraying certain area's when his little box was clean.

We're cat-sitting another cat until mid-September. My friends moved to the UK but cats need their shots 6 month in advance of entering the country and she has another month to go. Catmund. She's a really cute, petite little thing and I've never met another cat who is so like Mittens. I'm cat obsessed so I give her more attention than paperboy does and now she's completely attached to me, following me everywhere, sitting on my lap, and she always wants to be in the same room with me when I'm home alone.

I'm trying to convince paperboy that we should foster cats from the humane society after Catmund leaves. Neither of us knows exactly what we'll be doing in a year or two so we're nervous about making a committment to a new cat but fostering would mean we'd have cats for 2-8 weeks at a time. I think it would be a really good experience.
koffeewitch
Sometimes when a cat has a UTI or bladder infection, they find the gravel in the litter box too irritating and they pee in places that are cool/soothing to their inflamed abdomens. If your cat suddenly doesn't like to be petted on his lower back, resists being picked up or is unusually clumbsy you have even more reason to suspect UTI or kidney problems. If the pee is not at all bloody, the infection may be very mild. I have had success giving my cats an organic, natural, sugar-free yogurt, like Stoneyfield's plain yogurt for the pro-biotic effect. If warranted, I give an Echinacea-Goldenseal tincture, too. Most cats do well on 5% of the standard adult doseage. 10% for a very large cat. For most tinctures, this will be 1-2 drops, 3 times per day. Of course, if the cat has a more moderate-severe infection, I get them straight into the vet, but the majority of infections I have cured by catching them early and treating them at home. The antibiotics that the vets give just seem to cause too many secondary infections and reoccurances of infection from disrupted intestinal flora and resulting bacterial resistance.

I've also had cats that were afraid to pee in the box because they seemed to feel that it "belonged" to the other cat/s in the house. I've had success bringing a brand new litter box in and letting the timid cat be the first one to use it.
Man, all this talk about cat pee! I can't believe how much of my life I've spent dealing with cat piss.
damona
both my kitties are male. my one cat, shadow, has had a couple of bladder infections, but it's been a really long time now since he had one. the peeing on the floor stopped after a couple days, so i'm thinking it was just someone expressing his opinion about something.

now my other kitty, pepper, is sick. he's been puking for 4 days. he's still eating ok, and he's still cuddly and affectionate, so i'm hoping it's just a bout of kitty flu or something, but i noticed this morning that he's looking a bit thinner, so i made an appt with the vet. i can't get him in til friday morning, though, so hopefully that will be alright.
ketto
Damona, hope pepper is doing okay. My boyfriend thinks my family is crazy because we bring out cats to the vet every year and as soon as they have an abnormal issue, but our cats were outdoor cats who both had fairly serious illnesses at one time or another over the last 17 years.

We're still cat-sitting for about two more weeks and I LOVE this damn cat. She's so freaking cute and petite and is basically a little, quiet love bug who loves being petted and sitting in your lap and being picked up and cuddled - most of the time. Paperboy said he wished you could test cats out before you get them because we wouldn't have wanted to keep my brothers cat but we would love to keep Catmund.

I really wanted to foster cats but paperboy put his foot down and said he wants us to get our own. I was surprised because I thought he was the one who didn't want to make the committment. So as soon as we drop Catmund off at the airport, we're planning to check out the shelters. Originally I wanted an older cat, 7+ years because I know they're harder to adopt out, but paperboy said he kind of wants a kitten...and now I've been thinking about having a kitten. But basically we're just going to go to a shelter and see which one speaks to us. I'm a little over excited about it now.
koffeewitch
ketto: that will be so exciting to go adopt a kitty from the shelter....my cats have all appeared on my doorstep, homeless and starving, so none of them were "planned".

damona: I've been having problems suddenly with one of my kitties throwing up, too...and it's not just hairballs, like it usually is when he gets sick. Please let us know what your vet says about it.
pants
Ketto, maybe you could look into getting a mother cat and her kitten. I know shelters often like to house them in pairs to make it easier for them to adapt to a new setting

There's a new ginger kitten in our neighbourhood. His name is Ivan and he has giant paws and ears and is very nosy. We were recuilding our garden fence last week and he supervised the whole event. I refer to him as Ivan the Terribly Cute and get lots of glares my cat, Oliver, whenever I give him attention. But seriously, he is full on adorable and needs to come live with me. Oliver would get used to it eventually. His little girl Lucy, probably would not be pleased with the situation though so we'll just continue on with our illicit love affair.
sukouyant
This is cute. An Ikea in the UK let a bunch of cats run around their store to demonstrate comfort
http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/video/2010...08/ikea-cats-ad
ketto
Koffee, this was the first time for me picking out a cat at the humane society. I found my 17 year old cat after someone abandoned her and a sibling in a garage when I was 8 years old. It was the middle of winter so we took Mittens, the people who owned the garage took the other cat, and here we are 17 years later.

So, on Sunday we brought back Catmund so she could catch her plane to the UK. Right after we dropped her off paperboy and I went to the humane society. I'd never been their before but it was so beautiful and impressive. I thought they would keep all the cats in cages but they're all in rooms about the size of a large closet with big windows and lots of toys and other cats. You get to put on an apron and go into each room to hang out with them and get to know them. We checked out maybe 5 or 6 before we got to the cutest little gray and white kitten. She was so happy to be held and just curled up in both our hands.

So we brought home Ketto (yup, that's her name) on Sunday and we can't get enough of her. She's so satisfied to just be held and she slept right in between paperboy and I on the first night. She's a major lap cat which is exactly what we wanted.

Pants, we actually may be getting a 2nd cat. Paperboy also has a 16 year old cat that still lives with his mom. His mom isn't happy about keeping her but she's a very loud (vocally) cat, and she scratches furniture really badly and sheds really badly too because she's a long hair (i'm midly allergic). I told him I didn't have a problem with her living with us so long as we got our own cat too. His problem is that he loves his cat but doesn't really want to bring her to the apartment, but he feels guilty about leaving her with his mom. We've agreed that Ketto would need to be a lot bigger before bringing another cat in so right now we're just seeing how it goes with her. He also isn't telling his mom we bought one. tongue.gif
anarch
soukoyant, thanks for the IKEA link. Great ad!

So nice to read about your Ketto, ketto!

Sort of a downer link but also it's good to know that this is happening:
More shelters for domestic abuse are inviting in the cats and dogs of their clients as the connection between domestic violence and animal abuse becomes more well-known
koffeewitch
Godfuckingdammit!! mad.gif A neighborwoman I was friends with just moved out of our complex and she appears to have just dumped her cat. She had told me she was only taking "Itchy" to the new place, but not "Tig"...still I thought (hoped) that meant she was going to find a home for Tig and not just fucking leave her behind to starve/freeze. I guess I now have one more stray cat to buy food for...
damona
just realized i never updated y'all...

Pepper recovered on his own by the time of the vet appt. i think it was just a bout of kitty flu or something. which is good, since the vet wanted $35 up front since i didn't pay the last bill on time. which was not entirely my fault, since said bill was incurred by the last stray i brought in to be de-wormed, etc, and that stray was adopted by The Boy and The Boys' mom, and she told me she'd take care of it, and then forgot. but i should have kept track on my own, so, eh. it's all settled now, so no harm done.

ketto, congrats on adopting Ketto smile.gif

suk, that was a great ad!

koffeewitch, ugh, sometimes i just hate people. we've taken in more strays with good manners, already litter trained and all that, who were obviously just dumped... people are such assholes. thank you for being one of the good guys!
koffeewitch
So glad Pepper recovered on his own! I, too, struggle like mad to pay for vet bills and good quality cat food. More and more I find myself making fresh food for my cats...I know they can't like eating processed food out of a bag all the time. Fortunately for my squeamish vegetarian ass, my cats love to eat yogurt, broccoli and grains.

So anyway, the story about "Tig" gets even worse. Not only was she just dumped...she is still a nursing mama with kittens to care for! How could anyone live and care for a cat for YEARS and then just decide to leave her behind?? And since she is not fixed, she will contintue getting pregnant and the population of feral, homeless cats will just keep on growing.

Do you guys think I should say something to my friend who dumped her? I mean, do people who do things like that ever "get it" anyway? I'm wondering if I would just be wasting my breath...
anarch
damona -- I'm glad Pepper recovered.

koffeewitch -- man, how awful for the mother kitty. Do you think you can say something to friend that won't result in friend getting hostile? If so, it's worth a shot. You never know when someone's brain will go *click* and they'll remember your words and go "Hmmm, so that's what she was talking about."

But it's such an obviously shitty thing to do that I'm having trouble coming up with polite words to use.
pollystyrene
You should definitely say something to her! That really pisses me off. mad.gif Is there a shelter you can take her and the kittens to, so that they're taken care of and she gets fixed?
koffeewitch
Okay, you guys are not even going to believe this one. I was out walking and ran into some neighbor kids who had just found a tiny kitten, about a month old, thrown into a plastic bag filled with catshit and tossed into a dumptster to die in it's own filth...the kitten was (and is) still alive, but so weak when they found it, it went into shock when they washed it off. This is the point where I took the kitten home with me, and miraculously he has recovered beautifully...the first day, he couldn't even open his eyes as they were so red/swollen from being caked with shit. WHO would do such a vile, evil, disgusting thing? There is just no fathoming human beings.

Thankfully, he has turned into a healthy, chubby, normal little kitten...but he's still a little scared of strange people...I want to find a home for him when he get's a little older. I hope I can find someone he can learn to love and trust and who will always take good care of him.

As for Leslie, my friend who dumped her nursing cat...I'm waiting for her to e-mail me so I can ask her "what she did with TIg" and see if she'll even admit to dumping her and her kittens....
anarch
Oh, koffeewitch. Good thing you were there to foster the little guy back to health. Looking forward to hearing what L says about Tig.

Bad news over here:
Yesterday, driving down the street, I saw ahead in the middle of the road a girl standing slightly to the side of the yellow line & thought, "Why is she standing in the middle of the road stopping traffic in that lane?" Then the cars ahead of me swerved to the right to avoid her, and I saw that she was standing over a caramel-brown-burnt toast cat with a fluffy tail. It must have got hit. Her (bf?) was scooping the kitty up in a towel. I wish I could have done or said something to help, but really, what's going to help in that situation.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.