Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Mainstream?! My Stream!: The Popcorn Movie Thread
The BUST Lounge > Forums > Media Whores
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4
auralpoison
Have an opinion on the new Paul Rudd flick? The hell was Drew Barrymore thinking when she signed on for that? What's Judd Apatow doing these days? Rachel McAdams is starring in WHAT? Wanna talk about the good, the bad, & the ugly that mainstream cinema has to offer? Then this is the place for you!
bunnyb
I'm desperate to see Marley & Me (it only opens here next week) :blushes:
Persiflager
I really want to go and see Marley & Me. I don't care about Jennifer Aniston and Owen Wilson, I just want to see a happy film about a dog!

ETA: Cross-posted with Bunny!
bunnyb
snap!
roseviolet
Ummm ... I heard that Marley & Me wasn't actually very happy. unsure.gif
bunnyb
Yes, I've heard likewise but I still want to see it.
auralpoison
**Owen Wilson walks out.**

This is an AV Club inside joke. When they were doing publicity for Marley & Me, certain insensitive interviewers asked questions about Wilson's troubles (Though warned not to.) & Wilson would just walk out mid-interview leaving Aniston to field questions about John Mayer & Brangelina.
kittenb
I like Watchmen! There, I said it. The Geek liked it to and he is a fan of the book.
sassygrrl
I really liked Watchmen too!! I didn't mind the ending, and Mcgeek thought it could have actually been longer.

Marley and Me is one of the best dog movies I have seen in a long time. smile.gif

Any new popcorn flicks coming out soon??
ketto
I really enjoyed watchman. Now I need to read the book. This thread is making me think of all my classic movie loves...like Benny and Joon (I just can't help it!).
solaria
QUOTE(roseviolet @ Mar 12 2009, 11:35 AM) *
Ummm ... I heard that Marley & Me wasn't actually very happy. unsure.gif

I saw Marley & Me, and I confess that I actually read the book too. (My literary ego wants me to put a disclaimer that I usually read much deeper and highbrow books--but that's not really true). By the end of the book I was sobbing, but I think that overall it's happy, if you're not too too emotionally vulnerable. It's sad but in a feelgood way, ya know?
LoveMyPugs
I can't wait for The Lovely Bones to come out. Can't wait, can't wait, can't wait!!

Also, the new Harry Potter is gonna be good too...

and the new Terminator with Christian Bale (sp?)
zoya
I am a Terminator obessive. I saw T2 I don't know how many times in the theatres and I've seen it a bajillion times on video. I cannot wait to see the new Terminator! I'm kinda paranoid it won't live up to my expectations, though.

I've still not seen the last Harry Potter film. I don't know how I managed that, I saw all the others right when they came out.
bunnyb
I am peeing my pants over the new Harry Potter film.

I feel as if I've been waiting for The Lovely Bones for years, which I have, and it's still not being released until next January.
auralpoison
That's because we *have* been waiting for the Lovely Bones forvever! And it probably won't even play here. December 2009, I will be somewhere that I can actually see this on a real screen.

We only got Slumdog Millionaire & Grand Torino last week. I don't get to see good fare much because I live in Smallmindedville.

Watchmen got here, too, so hopefully I'm gonna see it tonight.
grrrlyouwant
oh, marley and me was a total bait and switch, as far as previews vs. actual movie goes. i was actually kinda pissed walking out after it was over. they chose to show all the funny bits for the trailers, nothing about it being based on actual people, definitely nothing about it turning into a tearjerker halfway through. we took c-monkey to see it expecting a funny, lighthearted couple of hours, and walked out with her bawling over the pets we've lost over the years. i haven't been so disappointed in a trailer/movie disparity since white noise.
whatagirlwants
I went to a screening of Alien Trespass. It stars Eric McCormack (Will & Grace). If your a lover of sci-fi movies, old and new, you will enjoy this movie. The trailer is on alientrespass.com.
Persiflager
Saw Marley & Me at the weekend (at the insistence of my boy!) and had a good shoulder-shaking sob.
girltrouble
uh... white noise sucked.

i thought everybody knew the back story on marley and me, but then i adore dogs, so i hear good dog story and i am all over it....

is anyone else going to go see the witch mountain movie? i loved those movies as a kid... (although the original kids creeped me out)
crazyoldcatlady

god, and the concept had such potential, too. it could have been scary as fuck, but no dice. i don't even think i finished watching it.

girltrouble
that's what drives me nuts about most horror movies. always great concepts, shitty ...uh....execution.

oooooh fun game! good horror movies! go!

cabin fever!
zoya
speaking of horror movies... I'm wanting to go see Last House On The Left. I LOVED the original.... so old school and brilliant. but I've heard the re-make is actually good. I hope soo!

grrrlyouwant
QUOTE(girltrouble @ Mar 16 2009, 02:58 PM) *
uh, yeah, muchly.

i thought everybody knew the back story on marley and me, but then i adore dogs, so i hear good dog story and i am all over it....
well, that's the problem i had with it. the movie itself was actually a really good movie, and i think i would have really enjoyed it if i hadn't been so blindsided. of course, i went to the bookstore the weekend after it came out and we saw it, and then it was like "ah, lightbulb". but the fact that i didn't know, and the previews, imo, made it out to be all comedy, just a goofy guy and his dog and a girl, just left a sour taste in my mouth. but now that i know better, i'd watch it again and enjoy it.

is anyone else going to go see the witch mountain movie? i loved those movies as a kid... (although the original kids creeped me out)
ooh, ooh, ooh, i saw it! we took c-monkey this weekend, and it was awesome. i have vague recollections of repeated disney channel watchings when i was a kid, but i'd almost completely forgotten the storyline. were the kids aliens in the original too, or did they just have special powers. anyway, the movie was great and dwayne johnson was really good in it, and it was really funny. best line out of the whole thing was when they found this secret passage. "don't do it jack, nothing good ever comes of walking into the pimped-out fridge." laugh.gif
bunnyb
My uncle and were discussing over the weekend the fact that the previews for Marley & Me are misleading and are false advertising, in fact. It's very cynical marketing to entice people into going to see a film that they believe is a romcom. It works for me though: I've convinced my younger sister to go with me when I go home next weekend as she loves dogs.

I haven't seen White Noise but the problem I had with it when it came out was that there is a novel of the same name by Don DeLillo and I thought it was an adaptation; it was disappointing to find out it wasn't.

I think I may watch The Women this week - anyone seen it?
Divala
BunnyB, do you mean "The Women" with Meg Ryan and Debra Messing in it? If so, then please take this as a warning from me not to waste your time. It's really, really bad. I want that 100 minutes of my life back.

I kind of want to see "The Last House on the Left." That's the revenge movie, right? I'm not so much for horror, but I do love me a good revenge flick.

I just watched "Role Models" over the weekend. So fucking funny, but lots of bare boobies. The kids in it are great, and it's good to see Stiffler in something besides "American Pie" and not irritate the hell out of me.
bunnyb
That's the one, Divala! Oh well sad.gif. I wanted something fluffy but not a complete time-waster.
Divala
Not to harp on it, but I watched it while I had to stay home to recover from surgery, so it wasn't like I had anything better to do, and I still could've come up with better ways to spend that time.
sybarite
I can also attest to The Women sucking a lot, especially Meg Ryan reworking her wide-eyed schtick yet again. Avoid.

I too am a Terminator obsessive; I wrote my undergrad diss on T2 and the Alien films. I think the director of T3 was an obsessive too, which helped the film, but I'm not sure what to expect from T4...especially with Christian 'hissy fit' Bale in there. I used to think he was fantastic but have gone off of him after his monotone performance in Dark Knight.
rubberdollz
You know Christian Bale was fantastic in American Psycho. His body was on point and he played a really great psychopath! Then I saw him in the Machinist and thought I was going to be sick when I saw his body, ugh... he was grotesquely thin in that movie. I've had a really hard time wanting to watch him play Batman but we rented Dark Knight and I really wanted to shut the movie off, I couldn't stand that movie! What is with his voice? It seriously was the most irritating thing to listen to and I kept hoping he would just stop talking at some point in the movie and then it would become a silent film... that didn't happen. I don't get what the big deal about Heath Ledger's character was anyways? I thought it was mediocre and really I can do without ever watching Dark Knight again.
bunnyb
The Joker, Heath Ledger's character was The Joker, and it was an outstanding, evocative performance seen posthumously. That's what the big deal was. Some people loved the film, some hated it but at least show a little respect.
rubberdollz
Show respect for Heath's character? Because he's dead? I'm not ripping on Heath as a person just thought the movie stunk. I don't have to have respect for a movie if I didn't like it, we all have an opinion on things we like and dislike.
yuefie
Bunny, I have to agree and say that The Women was a colossal waste of time. The kidlet took me to see it for my birthday so feigned enjoyment, but really I was bored to tears.
Persiflager
Drawing a line between the writing of The Joker and Heath Ledger's performance....

I though Heath Ledger was amazing - his scenes were so intense that I couldn't look at any other character (esp. Mr One-facial-expression-throughout-the-entire-movie Bale). He was uber-charismatic and vivid, and the rest of the film seemed bland by comparison.

However, the one thing that irked me slightly was the inconsistency that the character is written as this chaotic, spontaneous, unpredictable genius, but then for the purposes of the plot he has more organisational ability than all the other characters put together. I kept thinking this whenever there was a 'Oh no, The Joker saw that coming and was totally prepared for it!' moment - was he really a forward-planner? I couldn't picture him sitting down at his desk with lists and blueprints, and scheduling his goons.
roseviolet
I felt that Heath Ledger was the only redeeming part of Dark Knight. It was a pretty good film, but I haven't felt an urge to see it a second time. That's mainly because Christian Bale has not wowed me as Batman. Some people say that the character isn't supposed to be that likable anyway (he isn't supposed to be pure & perfect like Superman). That isn't my problem, though. I haven't encountered any actor that has been able to portray Batman in the way I imagine him in my mind. Perhaps that's what I get for spending so much time around comic book geeks!

I've always thought of The Joker as the quintessential mad genius. That's what makes him so dangerous. He creates these extraordinarily detailed plots, but somehow it always seems spontaneous & unexpected. He has a way of manipulating people without their knowledge. Even when his enemies think they're one step ahead of him, in reality they've usually just walked right into his trap. That's what makes the character so diabolical. That plus the fact that he is SERIOUSLY fucked up. With some characters, the make-up and the theatrics would be an intentional distraction, an illusion. But the Joker isn't just putting on a show. That isn't a mask that he puts on & takes off at will. It is him. I think Heath Ledger understood that last point better than anyone else who has ever played The Joker, which is why his portrayal of the character was so brilliant. I thought Ledger's performance was unsettling. It was so completely different than what I've seen him do before. That takes so much work - from the inside out. It can be dangerous to immerse oneself so deeply into a character, though.

After watching the film, I remembered a part that I played about 8 years ago that really fucked with my brain. When I first read the play, I didn't like the character at all. She was irritating, desperate, pushy. In order to play her correctly, I had to change my way of thinking so that I saw the world from her perspective & sympathized with her. It took a toll on me. I got so deep into her character that I was always on edge & sometimes I burst into tears without any warning or yelled at people with little reason. This character I played wasn't nearly as messed up as The Joker, though. After I watched Dark Knight, I understood how that part might have wormed its way into Ledger's mind & kept him from thinking right, kept him from sleeping right, all of it. Usually actors put up a sort of mental wall, separating the character from the self, as a way to maintain some sanity in these situations, but that usually results in a poorer performance. Ledger chose to make himself vulnerable. Perhaps too vulnerable.
bunnyb
You nailed it, rose.

I remember reading after Heath Ledger died that Jack Nicholson had warned him that the character of The Joker gets inside your head; I adore Jack and the performances he gives but I don't think he ever comprehended the intricacies of the character, its depth and range and sheer scope, like Heath did. Heath evoked it onscreen and immortalised The Joker; yes, the role is tainted with the tragedy of unfulfilled potential but I think it is an outstanding performance without that burden.

As for the film itself: I enjoyed it; I think Bale's woodenness is intentional, as Bruce Wayne he never truly exists and always wears a mask, whether it is the physical mask of Batman or not, it is there. Meh, that's my take anyway!
stargazer
I was overtired last night and about to go to bed when I got sucked into a movie on TBS, The Upside of Anger. I was surprised how much I liked this movie and it kept my attention. It is pretty light and fluffy movie, but Joan Allen astounds me with her acting in this movie. So, if you are looking for a romantic comedy, then you should see this movie.
grrrlyouwant
gettin' ready to watch twilight with the momster and the neighbor, soon as c-monkey's out for the night. i talked neighbor into it by revealing the big vamp secret ("sparkly?! sparkly fucking vampires? oh, now i have got to see this!"), so she was down at the video store last night when they brought out the movie. and the momster i think is just tagging along for the ride-neighbor and i have similar tastes, but the momster's more mainstream, rom-com, blockbuster stuff. i came at the movie from the position of having read the books first, so i'm kind of interested to see what their take is on twilight coming in blind (except for knowing the vamps sparkle). neighbor says we need to watch lost boys afterward to cleanse our palates. if i'm feeling particularly cruel, i might pop in lost boys: the tribe instead. laugh.gif
lunia666
I went on a bonnet ( thats what BF calls them ) movie marathon this weekend . I watched The Tenant of Wildfell Hall,North and South (based on the Elizabeth Gaskell book) and ,Wives and Daughters . What am I missing I have seen almost all the JA and CB PBS movies .
bunnyb
Marley & Me was sweet but I did shed a tear or two.
zoya
I saw "Love You Man" tonight. It's awesome. laughs from beginning to end. I love Paul Rudd and I want to do him. (but that is for another thread)
bunnyb
I was woken at 4am this morning by a very enthusiastic friend telling me to go see I Love You, Man but it doesn't open here for another month tongue.gif.
zoya
oops, sorry. that was a very enthusiastic friend who was drinking margaritas in the movie theatre with a girlfriend and loving the movie..... rolleyes.gif
auralpoison
QUOTE(grrrlyouwant @ Mar 22 2009, 12:33 AM) *
if i'm feeling particularly cruel, i might pop in lost boys: the tribe instead. laugh.gif

Aw, now, that's just plain MEAN.
rubberdollz
My friend at work has now resorted to saying "Twilight" everytime she passes my office. I told her she's obsessed with the movie and the book, very scary. She keeps telling me to turn to the dark side and I keep refusing to watch or read that crap. I just cannot get into that movie or the books they don't seem like something I'd like! So I've resorted to calling her a "media whore." I'm hoping it shuts her ass up.

I'm waiting for that movie "A Haunting in Connecticut" to come out. It looks like it's going to be pretty decent but I'm worried that all of the good parts are what is in the commercials. Anyone else thinking about seeing this?
girltrouble
i wanna see it rubber. i cannot resist a scary movie.
Persiflager
One of my friends has pre-ordered it on DVD and we're going to have a guilty Twilight night! Might pair it with the Buffy movie, for full trash satisfaction....
rubberdollz
PF so you guys are going to have a cheesy vampire movie night? hahha.... The actual Buffy movie with Luke Perry right? Yeah my friend already bought the movie and is waiting for me to say that I'm ready to watch it.

That's awesome GT! My husband is off on friday so I may bug him to go to the movies and see it. The commercials are making it look really good and scary, especially when the kid has all that stuff carved on his body. The part in the commercial where they show some thing coming out of his mouth, it reminds me of that scene from Poltergeist when the dad drinks the worm and then he starts throwing up that giant worm thing. I don't know why everytime I see that in the commercial that's what I think of!
roseviolet
A sick part of me is interested in A Haunting in Connecticut because I'm fascinated by real ghost stories, but I know the only way I'll ever see it is when it pops up on television. I get WAY too freaked out by those movies. It's pretty embarrassing. The Exorcist scared the ever-lovin' shit out of me. By the by, I think I know what that stuff is that's coming out of the guy's mouth in the ads, but I won't say it here. Wouldn't want to ruin anything for anybody.
rubberdollz
Oh the Exorcist was pretty freaking scary. When they brought it back out to theaters a few years back I went to see it and I saw the scene where the girl flips over backwards and then runs down the stairs... nightmare city for me. I kept hearing her footsteps and was so scared for the longest time. That scene... ugh!

Ok well you won't ruin it for me, but I have an idea of what it is as well by the way the commercial says it.
girltrouble
the stuff coming out of the kid's mouth reminds me of a rather gothish photog, whose name escapes me right now. he loved taking pix of little people, amputees, etc. in black and white, and influenced marilynn manson and others....i just can't remember his name.... grrrr!

there was some other recent horror movie that involved people with their heads on wrong crawling up stairs, but i can't recall the name of that movie either... god, getting old sux. about the only thing my brain has ever held is info about film, and now that's going.... *le sigh*

supposedly based on a true story, i was creeped out by the entity, which is about a woman molested by an evil demon. it stars barbara hershey, and doesn't let up...

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.