Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Mainstream?! My Stream!: The Popcorn Movie Thread
The BUST Lounge > Forums > Media Whores
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4
culturehandy
I too am going to step on to the love of Star Trek movie band wagon. It was really good and I was not expecting to be so into it, either. Both of my parents liked the series and the movies (and I'll secretly admit that I like TNG...the other spin offs weren't so bad either...) so seeing this one really explained things. I liked that.

The trailer for G.I. Joe was also at the start of Star Trek, and I had to try not to laugh. What next a mainstream Barbie movie? *gag*
anna k
I went to see Terminator Salvation tonight. It was entertaining, big summer movie full of explosions. The first two are still the best, but this was an improvement over the third one. The movie was dominated by Sam Worthington's character, and a woman sitting next to me kept whispering how hot she thought he was.

A couple of nitpicks: the silent little girl. She didn't seem to serve any purpose except to look cute and assist the fighters, and it felt lame. And Moon Bloodgood's character as hot chick in tough girl guise who immediately falls for the cyborg character because he's hot and "sensitive." It just seemed so superficial and lame.

I did like that the character of Kyle Reese was re-introduced, though his role in both the future and the past as John's father still seems kind of screwy.

And was the 1980s Arnold a CGI effect? It looked so real at first, then I just thought they found old footage of him and manipulated it for the scene, it was cool and weird at the same time.
girltrouble
any movie that has that "hang on, baby, friday's coming!" poster has got to be good in my book. i saw drag me today. sam raimi is such a fun director. it's not evil dead 2, the end is predictable, but it is a fun little rollercoaster ride. not lots of gore but lots of jump-cut shocks and cartoony gross-out sfx. but man, that guy has an oral fixation. everything gets put onto people's mouths in the movie.
roseviolet
The preview for G.I. Joe was kinda fucked up. I was excited when I saw Christopher Ecclestone, but my opinion went downhill from there. At the end of the preview when we saw the title of the film, Sheff and I gave one another the please-don't-make-me-see-that look. Don't even get me started on Land of the Lost.

Anybody else want to see Up? I tend to enjoy Pixar films, so I have high hopes. I'm hoping to see it this week. Some of our friends saw it over the weekend and really liked it.
girltrouble
when i saw that preview the audience broke out in laughter when the credits for g i joe came up. poor sheff. laugh.gif
i'm scared of land of the lost, i watched that show a lot when i was a kid, and it's better when you aren't actually watching it. it was kind of boring. i know the movie can't help but be better than the show, but i still don't want to see it. i do want to see the sherlock holmes and district 9.

and i'm gonna try to sneak in to up this week, rose. i've talked to a couple of people who loved it. it looks great.

crazyoldcatlady
if, IF i ever went to see GI Joe, it'd be because joseph gordon levitt is king cobra. and i kinda hearts him.

i went to the movies with my sis, and we got into the biggest giggle fit over the previews, re: all the 80's pop culture remakes.

Me: What's next, Strawberry Shortcake?
Sis: Who would play her?
Me: Duh, Lindsay Lohan.

(2 minutes later)

Me: What if they remade board games as movies? Candyland?
Sis: [sinister voice] Tagline: 'Some Games Aren't Meant to Be Played."

We were crying. We have a sick and awesome sibling-ship.
kittenb
Crazyoldcatlady, I don't know how to tell you this: Candyland! The Movie!
crazyoldcatlady
oh HELLS no!

(totally just emailed that link to my sis)
girltrouble
ok, now i've heard it all. damn movie whores will do anything.
sassygrrl
What next? Hungry Hungry Hippos? Operation?
stargazer
QUOTE(girltrouble @ Jun 1 2009, 01:42 AM) *
any movie that has that "hang on, baby, friday's coming!" poster has got to be good in my book. i saw drag me today. sam raimi is such a fun director. it's not evil dead 2, the end is predictable, but it is a fun little rollercoaster ride. not lots of gore but lots of jump-cut shocks and cartoony gross-out sfx. but man, that guy has an oral fixation. everything gets put onto people's mouths in the movie.

gt, i heard drag me to hell described as evil dead 3. *sigh* i think i'm going to see that pic by myself 'cause i know no one else who wants to go see it with me.

rose, oh, i plan on going to see up this weekend at the imax. i love pixar movies. i always get teary eyed watching some of them. i'm too emotional sometimes.

i'm looking forward to the new harry potter soon!
girltrouble
you have drag someone to see it with you, star. it is such a fun little rollercoaster ride. it's really lightweight, and breezy for a horror movie. it's more gross out than gore. go see it on a friday night cause the audience will howl. it's a popcorn movie to be sure.

... oh, and you can do some mac spotting too. of course it stars the guy from the mac/pc commercials, but i swear they shove every mac product they could think of in the scenes.
sassygrrl
UP was incredible. I saw it in 3D(although it would have been really good in 2D too), but I think it's one of the best pixar movies to date. I plan to see drag me to hell this weekend.
stargazer
Did anyone else bawl throughout the entire movie of Up?? My mom and I were terribly emotionally spent after that movie. It was an excellent movie.
girltrouble
i was tearing up during the preview, star. i'm a sucker for lemon/mathhau films, and the old man looks like a cartoon walter mattheau. i still need to see the movie, but i'm sure i'm gonna have to bring a box of kleenex.
flanker_ji
UP was a very sweet movie, and my eyes did well up at a couple points. I might've been more teary if I wasn't watching with a 5 year-old who hasn't quite mastered the concept of staying quiet during movies. rolleyes.gif
sassygrrl
Yeah, I was bawling thru the whole movie too, as was Mcgeek. I keep telling my folks to go see it (I thought the main character looked like Matthau and Spencer Tracy), but there's not one for animated films.
Divala
I saw Angels & Demons yesterday. It was pretty good, but not as good as The DaVinci Code. There were some details from the book that were changed/omitted in the movie. It was good, but I was expecting better.

anna k
Up just touched me so much. Great suspenseful action scenes, sly humor, such heart and love during the Carl/Ellie scenes, I was amazed by how the animators could bring such humanity to cartoon characters with subtle facial expressions. It's really a well-told story, and the main voice actors were fantastic in it (I kept imagining the little boy standing in a voiceover booth screaming and yelling while standing in place).
designermedusa
Anyone see Land of the Lost? I really like Danny McBride, but I don't know if I can sit through that film.
anna k
I saw the remake of The Taking of Pelham 123 tonight. It was fine, very much a Tony Scott film (quick cuts, captions, flashiness). John Travolta wasn't very convincing as a villain, even though I thought he was good in Face/Off. Denzel was fine, and for some reason I didn't recognize James Gandolfini at first. It was an action movie, thriller thing, so not much to expect. At some point it reminded me of Speed with the trapped hostages, runaway train cars, pyscho mad man, etc.
girltrouble
i was thinking about seeing that, anna. i remember liking the original 70's movie, although i can't remember much about it now. :/ but i've grown to dislike travolta... or the way he and sam jackson feel the need to wear disguises for all their roles (wigs, mustaches, beards, goatees, etc.).
anna k
It's entertaining, but not great. I didn't like Travolta's hamminess, or that he was the obvious bad guy because he had a Fu Manchu mustache and was loud and obnoxious. It also sounded really unconvincing whenever he cursed, like "Get me my money . . . motherfucker!" And I noticed Denzel looked heavier in this, but figured that he was probably asked to gain weight because his character is a subway dispatcher and answers to higher-ups, so not the same as a suave, charming man that he'd normally play.

The original looked good, more gritty and raw in 70's NYC, a la The French Connection.
girltrouble
lol... i'm curious if he would have sounded better reading something from 'dianetics'. yeah, the yelling thing is another thing i don't like about sam and john.

and i adore 70's grit in movies. seemed more real to me.

did you ever end up seeing crank2, anna?
candycane_girl
anna, I haven't seen the movie but I read an article about how much Denzel enjoyed putting on weight for the role.

I finally saw Terminator Salvation a few days ago and I loved it! The funny thing is that I have never seen all of the original one but I grew up watching Terminator Judgment Day over and over again. I liked the few throwbacks they made to the earlier movies.

There were a lot of little things I liked about the movie. Like the random inclusion of Helena Bonham Carter, the stuff that made me jump in my seat and the fact that they really showed the Terminators a lot (although the look of them has always freaked me out. And of course I loved that they had Arnold in there. I don't know if it was CGI or what.

When I had first heard about the movie being in production I wasn't sure if it would be any good (the third one was dreadful) but I was pleasantly surprised.
anna k
candycane_girl, I saw a clip of an interview Denzel did about how he eats ice cream pints, and I assumed they got on that topic for weight gain for the movie. He sounded so enthusiatic about his ice cream it was adorable.

I liked the Reese/cyborg scenes in Terminator 4, but felt bored by John Connor, and couldn't stand Moon Bloodgood's character. It was a fun action movie, but not great.

I watched the original version of The Taking of Pelham 123 tonight on TV, and enjoyed it. Liked Walter Matthau's crabbiness, liked how calm and cool Robert Shaw was, all the vintage 70's New York stuff, old train cars, a much younger Jerry Stiller, etc.

No, I didn't see Crank 2. I didn't think it was worth paying for.
girl_logic
QUOTE(anna k @ Jun 14 2009, 10:58 PM) *
I watched the original version of The Taking of Pelham 123 tonight on TV, and enjoyed it. Liked Walter Matthau's crabbiness, liked how calm and cool Robert Shaw was, all the vintage 70's New York stuff, old train cars, a much younger Jerry Stiller, etc...

hehe my favourite line is "What do they expect for their 75 cents? To live forever!?" I learned everything I knew about New York from those gritty grainy badly lit 70's and early 80's movies they used to make there.

So hey am I in the right thread? I'm looking forward to the Disney movie with the black princess "Frog Prince". I'm setting the bar low to accommodate Disney stereotypes, but maybe it'll surprise.
kari
I saw Up yesterday and absolutely loved it. What I really liked about it was that there was no crude humor that you often find in movies in the genre. No burping, farting, etc for laughs. It was much more mature, in that sense.

I especially enjoyed the short they showed before the movie. Very sweet.
auralpoison
Okay, so I am torn about Bruno. I mean, I know it's gonna be funny. I remember being hip to SBC's schtick back in the early '00s & enjoying it then. BUT. I keep seeing these articles popping up about Bruno & it's reflection on the gays, but I'm more interested in it's reflections on Americans. The whole world thinks we're a bunch of psychotic, gun-toting, bible-quoting lunatics & Borat/Bruno seem to only further establish that point. To me the comedy isn't so much about a flamboyant homosexual, it's more about how fucking stupid & backwards Americans are. I have this creeping sense of shame about it.
Persiflager
But the trailer for Bruno looks so funny!

I went to see The Hangover at the weekend, and laughed painfully hard.

ETA: My SBC shame is that I watched Ali G when he was first on The 11 O'clock Show, and joined my fellow teens in perfecting the hand/slap/crack gesture. While saying 'Ai'.
roseviolet
QUOTE(auralpoison @ Jun 22 2009, 05:16 AM) *
To me the comedy isn't so much about a flamboyant homosexual, it's more about how fucking stupid & backwards Americans are. I have this creeping sense of shame about it.

That's certainly part of his formula. I think it's about more than just showing the stupidity of people (be they American or otherwise). I think he also likes to show how much shit people are willing to overlook for the sake of politeness. He laughs at their kindness. But then if they've had enough and they call him on his shit, then they're still mocked - sometimes more so than if they'd just remained polite. I understand why other people find this amusing, but it just makes me cringe. I can handle that kind of humor in small doses, but definitely not for the length of a whole movie.

I have to admit that I'm not a big fan of Sasha Baron Cohen. He reminds me of the most irritating people in improv teams - the control freaks who feel a need to lead and take over each improvisation (which is a horrendous contradiction, I know, which is why it's annoying and awful). SBC goes out of his way to expose other people to painfully embarrassing situations. However, he is not willing to make himself vulnerable. He always has to be in control. He always has to be in on the joke. And he's very unwilling to expose himself - his true self - to intimate, personal ridicule. Sure, he'll put his characters in embarrassing situations, but that's very different. He's not exposing any of his own personal information or opinion. He even alters his appearance so he's practically unrecognizable. And he's extremely consistent with this. I've never even seen Sasha Baron Cohen give an interview to a journalist while out of character. He's extremely protective of himself & his private life, but he doesn't extend that same protection to his victims. It puts a bad taste in my mouth. It's all so painfully unbalanced.
flanker_ji
Y'know, I couldn't figure out what it was that bothered me about SBC, and I think you articulated the issue I have with him perfectly, RV.

Everyone I talked to LOVED Borat, said they laughed their asses off. As I watched it, I barely laughed out loud because I was cringing most of the time, trying to figure out what all the hype was about (and I'm a HUGE fan of sophomoric comedy). I guess Bruno will be more of the same...
ketto
RoseV, you always have such a way of putting things just right. That's my problem with him too. I never actually saw Borat, but I have seen his show and some clips from the movie. I find the embarrassment and use of unsuspecting people pretty slimy. It makes me cringe a bit.
girltrouble
i think that may have been the most interesting (and accurate) take on SBC that i've ever read, rose. although to some degree, you could say that about steven colbert, but-- and this is why i like colbert better-- he goes after public figures, politicians and celebs, and i think there is a sort of generosity that shines thru when he's talking to say, an a-political author. i know SBC used to do the public figure thing, but he seems to focus on average people now. i don't think that bruno really focuses on americans, aural, this movie is supposed to be international.

another thing that bugs me is that SBC trades on stereotypes, for all his supposed social commentary, he makes those ideas about those groups deeper in this movie-- gays, blacks, and who knows who else, with no deeper meaning or intent than to say, these people are just as we thought they were, how funny! it's easy to take on those groups-- arabs? is that a difficult target? even if he takes on his own jewishness, it is the broadest stereotype with the smallest population-- the hasidim. he has little fear of a backlash or saying anything meaningful or deep.
roseviolet
GT, as I wrote that I was definitely aware of the contradiction I may be presenting, seeing as I have Stephen Colbert as my avatar. But that's from Strangers With Candy so it doesn't count!!!

All kidding aside, Colbert & The Daily Show definitely do similar things as SBC in some of their interviews, but they seem to realize that a little of this kind of humor can go a long way. They may spend 5 minutes on one of those cringe-worthy interviews, but then they move on. I'm not a huge fan of those interviews (I prefer the ones where the interviewee is clearly in on the joke), but at least that isn't their only gimmick. They use other tactics to get a laugh or make a point. Plus, sometimes they're positive and make a worthwhile contribution (like Colbert's WristStrong bracelets).

I'm not a huge fan of humor that plays on stereotypes, either. I know that sometimes they're attempting to bust those stereotypes, but unfortunately it often backfires and instead exposes many people to stereotypes they weren't aware of before & even reinforces those stereotypes by keeping them alive. It's definitely a double-edged sword.
stargazer
I never understood the hype of Sasha Baron Cohen. I never found Ali G funny. I do not think he is a talented comedian nor political or meaningful in his humor. I think most comedians who are truly gifted can receded into their roles, stand on their own, and play well in a troupe. Comedic actors that I tend to appreciate seem to be very private and quiet in real life. I guess I'm thinking of Steve Martin or Eddie Murphy or Robin Williams. Robin Williams can be irritating at times, but, I really think he is gifted with taking one line and running with it. He also has the ability to act in some great dramatic roles.

I just don't see that level of depth with SBC's sense of humor. It is very one note. Plus, I'm not a fan of preying on every day people who have no choice of participating (or receiving monies) from his gags. Has he ever done his own standup show without the use of the public or famous/infamous people? Just curious.
chachaheels
I still haven't seen the Borat film because of the way it was made.

I know satire can be a very powerful tool for social change by way of changing our perceptions of the things we accept and believe unquestioningly. But I always got the impression that when Borat undertook satiric comedy, he did it in such a way that the idea of challenging those perceptions deserves a lot of contempt. He's kind of like a bully who's figured out he can get away with everything he does if he can make most of the people who aren't his targets laugh at the ones who are. Then they can all gang up on the targets if they manage to many any kind of protest in their own defense.

I also can't get away from the fact that he's always making himself the laughable idiot from some notably marginalized group.
He does come from an extremely privileged background. So that makes me wonder.
girltrouble
rose, i don't think there is a contradiction there, (and i love strangers, btw), i agree with you. i see nothing wrong with what colbert does, and from what i have heard, he talks to each guest beforehand, saying, "you know how this works right? i pretend to be an idiot." or some such. they are in on the joke, but even if they weren't, i think the rules are different for public figures. they should be fair game. normal citizens, bigoted or not, deserve a fair shake, imho, not subterfuge.
Persiflager
When Ali G first appeared on telly, there were a lot of kids at my school who didn't realise SBC was playing a character. Some of them didn't notice he wasn't black!
sybarite
Flying by but wanted to say how much I appreciate the unpacking of why SBC isn't funny and can be offensive from RV and others... especially this:

'I'm not a huge fan of humor that plays on stereotypes, either. I know that sometimes they're attempting to bust those stereotypes, but unfortunately it often backfires and instead exposes many people to stereotypes they weren't aware of before & even reinforces those stereotypes by keeping them alive. It's definitely a double-edged sword.'

Well put.
auralpoison
QUOTE(girltrouble @ Jun 22 2009, 12:48 PM) *
i don't think that bruno really focuses on americans, aural, this movie is supposed to be international.

"International"? How so? He shot in Berlin, Germany & the US. It's fake working title was "Delicious Journeys Through America for the Purpose of Making Heterosexual Males Visibly Uncomfortable in the Presence of a Gay Foreigner in a Mesh T-Shirt".

I suppose it's "international" in the sense that everybody else in the world is being given just one more example of how ridiculous Americans, not just people can be.
TheBeesKnees
I think the only movie that's come out in theaters for the past few months that's really left any lasting impression on me was Up. I ooohed and ahhhed and laughed and cried...I had tears running down my cleavage I was crying so hard in the beginning. But I'm a sucker like that.

Terminator did not wooh me. I was slightly bummed.

Observe and Report made me laugh really, really hard. And it was a different sort of character for Seth Rogen. I dug that.

Now I'm just excited for Public Enemies and Sherlock Holmes. I fear the latter will disappoint me though.
girltrouble
"International"? How so? He shot in Berlin, Germany & the US.
*sigh*
more crow for me to eat.
*munch*
score: aural 2, gt 0
tommynomad
Shenomad and I laughed all through Drag Me to Hell ($2.50 on Sunday morning!), but after it was over she said she hadn't liked it.

I'm just glad Sam's back.
auralpoison
First look at Tim Burton's Alice In Wonderland.
girltrouble
did you love the "hang in there...friday's comin'" poster, tommy?
why didn't shenomad like it?

*munch*
roseviolet
That's it. I need to finally go out & see Up. I've been wanting to see it since it came out, but Sheff has been all meh about it and all of our friends have already seen it, so I guess I should just go alone. Normally that's not an issue for me, but I'm not really in the mood to cry alone in a movie theater. So tell me honestly, people: happy tears or sad tears?

I am sooooooo damn excited about Alice In Wonderland!
crinoline
rosev- don't hesitate! UP is fantastic! I cried happy AND sad tears, but it really was a sweet and beautiful movie overall. Underneath the silly plot there is some surprisingly mature and touching subject matter which is completely worth the tears. I would recommend bringing a hanky, but you'll be laughing as well!

totally psyched for Harry Potter (coming up!!!) and Alice!
girl_logic
My BF and me were talking about Bruno and he was like, how can they be making a movie that ridicules camp for being camp? I don't know if that's what the movie is going to try to do or not, but his whole thing was, campy gay men know what they're doing they know what they look like so how does anyone really top that? These guys practically invented camp and irony and pushing it, and then embodied it. Now, does that make them untouchable in that regard?

I'm not planning to see Up Roseviolet, but how can they be anything but happy tears with those cute doughy puppet faces tongue.gif

Crinoline, I too am rubbing my paws together for Alice (so far away though!) and Harry Potter.

I'm also excited about the Bruce Willis movie Surrogates.
candycane_girl
I just saw those Alic pics yesterday on ONTD. I love Tim Burton. I haven't loved all of his movies but his imagination is just so incredible. Tim Burton vision + Lewis Carroll's story telling= incredible! I can't wait.

I just wanted to pipe in about Sacha Baron Cohen and his interviews. I don't know if you all remember the guys he met in the movie Borat who went on and on about how women were bitches and sluts that need to be fucked, etc, etc. Then after the movie came out the guys wanted to sue him for making them look bad. To me that's what SBC is all about: exposing the incredibly stupid things that people will do and say.

If anyone is interested, here is an old Bruno clip that I always found amusing. Basically he's at Daytona beach getting a bunch of drunk guys on a wrestling team to pose and show off their muscles. They even show off their ass cheeks. Then as soon as he says, "This is for Austria Gay TV" they freak out on him. It's just so ridiculous the way people act and I enjoyed the fact that SBC is willing to expose it.

As a complete side note, RV, I don't know if Colbert tells his guests how his show works but I was listening to an NPR interview with Ed Helms and they asked him about the Daily Show interviews and he said that usually they didn't tell the interviewee anything about how the show worked. Sometimes the people would catch on, other times they wouldn't.

I think I'm going to see Up next week. Everyone has been saying it's incredible and it looks really good so I can't wait.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.