Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Mainstream?! My Stream!: The Popcorn Movie Thread
The BUST Lounge > Forums > Media Whores
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4
auralpoison
Joel-Peter Witkin.
girltrouble
thank you. i knew it was a hyphen. with a joel in it....
zoya
GT - the movie with the people on the stairs was The Unborn.. and it pretty much sucked.

I LOVE Joel-Peter Witkin!! His stuff is amazing. I actually have a friend who was in one of his photos. He's not an amputee or anything weird. He played a hangman, leading a stallion to some dead body or some such.
roseviolet
The part in The Exorcist that sent me over the edge was when she was stabbing herself in the crotch with the crucifix & yelling, "Let Jesus fuck you! Let Jesus fuck you!". I was raised in a pretty religious household, going to church a couple times a week, so that TOTALLY fucked with my head.
rubberdollz
Joel Peter-Witkin! I have 2 of his books, definitely some great work.. love it!

The Unborn was that the one that recently was out at the movies? It sucked? We were going to try to see it at the theater but never made it.

Saw The Entity as well, that was a messed up movie. That poor woman just keeps getting raped over and over and over again. You start to feel bad for her after a while because it never stops! Definitely a creepy movie.

Oh yeah that scene in the Exorcist was really creepy, I'm sure because you were raised religious. The stairs scene really got to me more-so though. You know what I find amazing is that movie was so amazing and it was made in the 70's and is scary even now. Then you have these pieces of poo that are being made and all of these special effects and not even a hair to stand on end over them. Boo.
ketto
QUOTE(zoya @ Mar 24 2009, 03:04 AM) *
I saw "Love You Man" tonight. It's awesome. laughs from beginning to end. I love Paul Rudd and I want to do him. (but that is for another thread)

I just saw it too. I was surprised how often I was laughing out loud. Too funny.
whatagirlwants
Terminator seems like it's going to be the biggest blockbuster this Summer. Who was you favorite Terminator? Mine had to be Robert Patrick from 'Terminator 2'
http://www.thecityreview.com/termin2d.jpg
Robert Patrick always seems to play a role of someone in a uniform. He even plays a cocky cop in the new movie 'Alien Trespass'.
rubberdollz
I'd have to say Arnold but I loved the first Terminator! To me the first movies are usually the best and it really is what started it all.

So we were thinking about seeing A Haunting in Connecticut and I read some reviews on it and decided to not waste my money. Did anyone go and see it? I really had a feeling that the best scenes were in the commercials and my feelings on that were confirmed by the reviews.
roseviolet
Rubberdollz, I found this page with a lot of info about the house & family that inspired the new film. Maybe you can just read that & save your money. wink.gif
girltrouble
um... i am excited for fast and furious and crank2. and i wanna see monsters v. aliens..

ETA:thanks for the link rosey. interesting stuff. i didn't know that movie was connected to the amityville horror folks.
auralpoison
I am so late.

So tonight I finally watched the SatC movie on cable. For the first time I actually enjoyed a "clothes changing" montage because it was funny as hell as seeing Miranda & Charlotte look trashy while dancing to Aerosmith/RUNDMC. And Charlotte shitting herself really made it all worthwhile!

Other than that, I don't get it. And a chick flick that is two & a half hours long?! Jaysus.
rubberdollz
RV..thanks for that link. Yes I'll be saving my money for sure. After watching that and hearing their story I kept thinking of that movie The Entity, their story closely matches that movie.

My dad just took my 2 nephews to see Monsters vs. Aliens and they loved it, but they are 5 and 8 so I don't know if you can trust their opinion? ha ha ha
flanker_ji
I heard that Monsters vs. Ailens is enjoyable for little ones, but not so much for adults, from someone who definitely enjoys his cartoons.
rubberdollz
I guess I could have asked my dad what he thought on the movie to get an adults perspective but I know he'd probably end up telling me it was alright, he doesn't get into the kiddie flicks too much but he loves spending time with the grandkids and would do anything for them.

whatagirlwants
Monsters VS Aliens looks good to me. I'll have to catch that one this weekend in 3D. Hopefully it is not too packed. I just realized how much resemblance BOB from 'Monsters VS Aliens' has to The Ghota in 'Alien Trespass'.
Bob: http://i29.tinypic.com/2ykdu1t.jpg
The Ghota: http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d175/icast_525/ghota.jpg

And how much they both have resemblance to the Simpsons aliens.
Simpsons Aliens: http://img470.imageshack.us/img470/6453/simpsons0sw.png

Haha.
ketto
My brother took my 5 year old niece to MvsA on the weekend. He said she liked it, but it wasn't very good for adults - the jokes fell flat. I heard its had mixed reviews, but good for kids im sure.
girltrouble
i'm watching speed racer right now....

i can feel my liquified brainsis leaking out of my ears...

although, i have to admit, i loved the animated sequence of bobo-bo-bobobo with art by geof darrow. very cool.

...god i'm such a dork.
auralpoison
I tried to watch Speed Racer, I did. I'ma try again.

girltrouble
i don't know that i'd really recommend it, aural. 'less you're an editing dork. the editing is really complex. great wipes. it has fun production design, too, but i wouldn't recommend it.

honestly, i can't decide if the film josey and the pussycats is better. hey, it's got parker posey. downside:product placement overkill. speed racer is a live action cartoon in the most literal sense. it does have susan sarandon... meh. it's a draw.
stargazer
Has anyone else seen the commercials for the new Beyonce movie? It seems so bad that the trailer clips are funny. Beyonce as a getting even wife? blink.gif Maybe she used Sasha Fierce to channel her character for this role.
girltrouble
i've seen it. cringe worthy, to be sure... i thought it was funny that they cast ali larder as the bad girl. poor thing.
i really don't get why beyonce keeps getting cast in things. i mean, really? etta james in cadillac records? wtf?! couldn't you have just dubbed it, that is what they do in films, isn't it?
anna k
I get tempted to watch cheesy action movies like the Crank sequel and Fighting, total dudefests, cheesy music, hot girls with limited parts, and lots of guns and explosions. I don't want to pay $10-$12 to see it, but I like watching these things, like whenever they air on the FX or Spike channel.

Obsessed must be pretty bad if the TV commercial has to run it with the title and website stuck to the top of the screen. I miss Ali Larter on Heroes, two of her characters already died, and I don't know what happened to the third one.

I liked Josie and the Pussycats. Total product placement, but that was the joke. Just silly and fun, and I thought Tara Reid was adorable in it.
girltrouble
honestly i'm having a hard time paying even $8 for a film. most movies, honestly aren't worth it.

that's why i sneak in to atleast one more movie if i can. lol...

i'm dying to see crank tho. i love that guy's films.

but don't get me wrong, i didn't say i didn't like josey or speed racer, i just said i wouldn't recommend them. i think you have to be ready for their over the top bubblegum sensibility.
stargazer
GT, i hear you with not wanting to part with the moolah to see a movie. i know i want to see T4 for sure on the big screen. Sometimes, I just don't want to waste 3 hours sitting a theater. I like to save my movie watching for at home. I once went 3 years without seeing a movie at the movie theater 'cause I didn't want to be bothered. I'm kinda weird like that.
girltrouble
i'm getting pickier about which movies i'll actually see in a theater-- unless it's a sneak in. most art house films i'll wait for video, which kind of goes against my ethics, but what is the point in paying to see a movie on the big screen if scale or framing isn't crucial? so most times it's something that is going to be visually dazzling like hellboy2 that i'll pay for.

but one of my friends who was a pro reviewer hasn't seen a movie in theater for atleast a year, and it's only that short because he stopped getting screening passes.

i keep wondering when some suit will figure out they'll fill more seats and make more money in concessions if they drop the prices for the tickets down below 5 bux.
anna k
I saw Observe and Report yesterday. It was funny in parts, but a lot darker than expected. It gets really fucked-up and not as funny as the movie goes on. I don't know if I'd really reccomend it.

However, Aziz Ansari and Michael Pena were both hilarious.
Chairman Miaow
I really want to see Fast & The Furious, Wolverine, and The Soloist biggrin.gif

Yesterday I watched I'm Not There and Earth; both of which I thought were pretty good. I'm Not There was excellent!
jami
I wanna see Wolverine. Friday. soon as we can. it's a date. wink.gif
auralpoison
QUOTE(anna k @ Apr 19 2009, 09:09 PM) *
I saw Observe and Report yesterday. It was funny in parts, but a lot darker than expected. It gets really fucked-up and not as funny as the movie goes on. I don't know if I'd really reccomend it.

However, Aziz Ansari and Michael Pena were both hilarious.

I hearts me some Pena.

Count me as one of the few that isn't wild about the Apatow gang. I do have Freaks & Geeks on DVD, but the rest of it I can largely give or take. I really didn't quite get all the hype about Superbad. I wheezed out a few chuckles, but I really didn't think "McLovin" was all that funny.

Observe & Report is definitely not the cute, slackery security guard movie that the ad campaign wants you to think it is. I'd read a few interviews with Ana Faris about it, how she did some really uncomfortable scenes because she thought they'd be cut by the MPAA & they weren't. And yeah, I could understand hor she felt. Not a movie I'd suggest unless you want to walk around with a headache & a weird feeling in your belly.
anna k
I'm looking forward to the big summer movies like Terminator 4, Star Trek, Transformers 2, and the Wolverine movie (especially since it has Gambit in it, who I thought was sexy in the X-men cartoon when I was a kid). I love sitting in cool theaters and enjoying a big movie, like last year's The Dark Knight or seeing Transformers and The Bourne Ultimamum in the summer of '07. I get a nice comfort from it.
epinephrine
I love Bedazzled. Yes, the 2000 version with Brendan Fraser and Elizabeth Hurley. It makes me laugh every time. Last time I compared it to the original I actually preferred it. I think the humour just stands up a little better.

I'm also totally looking forward to watching Twilight. A little teen melodrama can be so much fun. Or it'll just be really shitty and annoying. That's why I waited for it to come out on DVD.
crinoline
QUOTE(anna k @ Apr 29 2009, 08:03 PM) *
I'm looking forward to the big summer movies like ... the Wolverine movie (especially since it has Gambit in it, who I thought was sexy in the X-men cartoon when I was a kid).

Me too! Gambit rules!! Did you see in the second movie when his name came up on the computer? I squealed with excitement in the theater! He was always the hottest Xman to me, I think mostly because there just aren't that many heroes with a southern accent.

I am trying to convince the boy that we should see Wolverine tomorrow, but he's resisting. stupid boy.
jami
Wolverine
In Theatres May 2
Angels & Demons
In Theatres May 15th
Night at the Museum 2: Battle of the Smithsonian
In Theatres May 22nd
Terminator Salvation: The Future Begins
In Theatres May 27th
Up
In Theatres May 29th
Land of the Lost
In Theatres June 5th
Year One
In Theatres June 19th
Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen
In Theatres June 26th
Public Enemies
In Theatres July 1st
Ice Age 3: Dawn of the Dinosaurs
In Theatres July 1st
Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince
In Theatres July 17th

grrrlyouwant
saw wolverine yesterday. and crin, i totally squeed in the second one when his name come up on the screen too. biggrin.gif this gambit i'm afraid, was a bit of a disappointment. i could make allowances for the appearance since the comic/cartoon-to-life sometimes loses bits in translation and this is supposed to take place 20 years before the original x-men movie. but losing the sexy cajun accent after his first scene? unforgivable, mon ami. the card- and staff-work though? those effects were all kindsa good. the whole movie was awesome. now everyone else go out and see it so i have someone to squee over the best parts with!
girltrouble
yeah, i liked the effects in the movie, esp. gambit. although deadpool was.....gross. i just kept thinking...ick.

i always wonder why they never hire regional actors who already have the accent. i mean rogue was supposed to be southern too....and that was crappy too.

i am happy as a clam. i found a theater that has $4 matinées. there is a goddess, and she is very, very, very GOOD.

*does the snoopy dance* i may never pay 8-9 bux for a mainstream movie. it's easy to sneak into another movie too. now if only it was downtown.
grrrlyouwant
QUOTE(girltrouble @ May 4 2009, 10:07 PM) *
i am happy as a clam. i found a theater that has $4 matinées. there is a goddess, and she is very, very, very GOOD.

*does the snoopy dance* i may never pay 8-9 bux for a mainstream movie. it's easy to sneak into another movie too. now if only it was downtown.

bitch, i hate you. i think the last time i saw $4 admission was when i was like, 12. and yes, the effects were tight. a friend of mine at work downloaded the "working, hardly any effects, and a bunch of cables showing" crap copy that's been floating around online. i was tempted, but i'm glad i waited for the real thing.

now, i don't do the comic thing, so i'm only familiar with x-men through the cartoon and the movies. but one of the basics i do know is that there aren't supposed to be any duplication of powers. so what was up with the black guy teleporting? i figure if stryker was fucking around with stealing mutant's powers, he could have given the teleporting to nightcrawler, whose only mutation was supposed to be being blue with a tail. but it's driving me nuts not knowing for sure, so if someone could clear that up, i could maybe fall asleep tonight.
girltrouble
QUOTE(grrrlyouwant @ May 4 2009, 11:27 PM) *
... i'm only familiar with x-men through the cartoon and the movies. but one of the basics i do know is that there aren't supposed to be any duplication of powers. so what was up with the black guy teleporting? i figure if stryker was fucking around with stealing mutant's powers, he could have given the teleporting to nightcrawler, whose only mutation was supposed to be being blue with a tail.

the $4 place is a 45 min bus ride (i don't drive) away, so it's not like i can roll out of bed. there are some minuses...

as for the questions in your spoilers, i don't think you're really giving anything away.... anyways, there is no ground rule about no duplication of powers, after all prof. xavier and jean grey are both telepathic/psychic, and rogue steals other people's powers, so that's a duplication too. but recall the story in XO:W is supposed to take place in the 70's, inspite of the lack of outward signs of it, so night crawler would have been a child, if he had been born at all.

story lines aren't always consistent between media (comics/animation/video games and movies), and any given hero may be altered radically depending on the needs of the particular medium they are in. i am told that in the video game, they hint that the person played by will.i.am, john wraith, you refer to is night crawler's dad and mystique (rebecca romain)is his mom. but as i said, that could change.
crazyoldcatlady
jami, i feel so sheltered b/c i haven't heard of some of them. all i can concentrate on is getting my ass out to see wolverine, star trek, and terminator.
crazyoldcatlady
thread killah!

i actually just watched jackass the movie for the first time, and i was HIGHLY amused. i think i am de-evolving. (to the confessions thread!)
stargazer
cocl, I was surprised how entertaining I found Jackass the movie. I never watched the show. But, after watching Jackass the Movie, I watched Viva La Bam and Wildboyz on MTV. Here's to de-evolving with you! Pfft. I already know I'm smart. wink.gif
roseviolet
Any of you see the Star Trek movie? I saw it last night and enjoyed it. I was worried that the actor who played Kirk would be absolute crap, but I think he did a good job of making the character his own, as did the rest of the cast.
This may or may not be a spoiler, but I think it's better to be safe than sorry! I found the core premise interesting - the idea that this version of Star Trek takes place in a parallel universe from the original. I'm glad they addressed that head-on. In so many franchises, they put out these movies that seem to totally ignore the existing universe; they just do whatever the hell they want, continuity be damned! At least here they made a point of saying, "yes, things will be different than the old Star Trek, but here's why."
jami
Stargazer!! I actually saw Jackass 2 with mylove a few weeks ago. then I bought the original afterwards. even he says it's a bit poopier than the second. we'll see...

Loved Wolverine. Hugh makes it pop. and his gf is a native american, so that gives it points for me. smile.gif
Star Trek... would love to see it as my first IMAX movie. wouldn't that be kewl??
Terminator... aaaaw, yes. Christian Bale gives it all with his performances. love the twist they're showing now.
Transformers on the fourth of July. YES to that one. all the orig cast. just some different voices.
Harry Potter... reallllly want to see that. liking that Luna Lovegood. wanna see more of her. and the pairings.
Public Enemies... Depp as Dillinger and Christian Bale as the copper out to get him.
the movie FAME, made into a tv show, is now being made into a MOVIE. oh wait, i already said that. didn't I?
girltrouble
i'm kind of excited to see the new sam raimi horror film, drag me.... although he seems a lot less playful since he made evil dead....:/
stargazer
GT, I think I want to see the new Raimi film too. It looks really good. I forgot he was making a new movie until I was drawn to the gruesome image of one of the leads on the cover of Fangoria. I don't know who'll I drag with me to go. I don't know too many horror fans.

Rose, I enjoyed Star Trek alot too. The action sequences were good. I will say I thought they tried to fit too much into this movie, such as explaining every lead characters eventual role on the Enterprise.

Jami, I agree that this summer seems pretty exciting for moviegoers. SO many good movies. I want to see Wolverine. But, the movie I'm really stoked for is T4!!!!!!!!!!
auralpoison
It looks like this is going to be a pretty good summer for the blockbuster popcorn movies. People dumped a bunch of money over the weekend for Star Trek & Wolverine.

Third me for Drag Me To Hell. It better freakin' come here.

I am going to lamely woman it up & go see Star Trek tomorrow. Or today, rather. The theater here blows.

sassygrrl
I really loved Star Trek. I'm not a fan of the show, but it was a great popcorn flick (okay the cute boys helped!)
Fourth me for the Drag me to Hell. I'm also wanting to see T4 and Harry Potter. Wasn't HP supposed to be 2 films b/c the last book was so huge? I'm looking forward to Up and Public Enemies too.

It's going to be a good summer for popcorn flicks!! Awesome!!

kari
I saw Star Trek last night & liked it too, Sassy. I haven't ever really watched the show, but they did a great job of making it a movie for everyone, not just established fans. And, yes, the cute boys helped! smile.gif
anna k
I liked Star Trek too. It had a good pace, a lot of humor, and was fun to watch. I couldn't really get into Uhura, though. I thought her character could've been made more interesting.
girltrouble
just saw star trek today, and i totally agree, with what you said, rosey. i think that's what won me over. i generally don't like origin stories, i find them uninteresting. i was groaning thru the part before the title card. but after that, little by little i really liked it. i'm not a trekkie, but i do know the mythology pretty well, and it was fun seeing something happen, knowing it didn't fit with x story on tv, and then watching them resolve it. it's funny i realized i really know those episodes waaaaaay better than i thought i did. at any rate, it seemed a good mix of all the original star treks the spirit and camaraderie of tv and the adventure and fx movies, with gentle, smart nods to both, while cutting a new path. better than i expected.
girltrouble
oh god, you are so right about all the lame revamps. g i joe? land of the lost? really?

rudder, i couldn't help myself with the bones line. i applauded. i almost cried. (ok, i know, i'm a dork, i was never obsessive about the show, but i always loved the characters, and to have them back... well, it's like seeing an old friend that you've suddenly realized you've missed terribly).

i LOVED karl urban, too rudder! pretty much from the first words he spoke. it was like, really? omg, he's puuuuurfect! he was spot on, simon pegg, as always was funny, and i just love anyways. the casting was good, and i think they did a good job of showing what was charming about all of those original people (with the exception of sulu. who seemed like the most generic of all the recastings to me.) i liked the changes they had for uhura, (they never really had all that much for her to do in the original series either) and while i would have loved for her to have been given some sort of "starbucking" if you know what i mean, it doesn't really fit with communications. :/ i have to admit, spock having a real love interest still seems kind of weird to me, but i did love that elevator scene. it was shocking, but really endearing and sweet.

oh, and did you love the red shirt? that won me over too. i was thinking, ok, they were paying attention.

terminator:salivation and drag me to hail up next! yay!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.