Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Oprah: She'll Cut A Bitch...
The BUST Lounge > Forums > Media Whores
Pages: 1, 2, 3
raisingirl
TOTALLY. I saw the recent rerun of the Biggest Loser people on her show, some of the past contestants and the trainers Bob & Jillian. It seemed to me that Oprah couldn't even LOOK Jillian in the eye (and Jillian overcame her own weight & food problems when she was a teenager), yet she was "bonding" with Bob over Southern home cooking. I was all, REALLY? Really. EYE. ROLL! That show could have been SO MUCH BETTER, but with Oprah at the helm, I was just left wanting more depth and honesty.

I really like Suze. I think her PBS specials get rolled out around pledge time. Doesn't she have a weekly show on CNBC? Pretty sure she does. Lots of Suze to go around. Her books are awesome, too.
sassygrrl
I heard on Jillian's podcast that Bob saw Oprah drinking a Diet Coke, and said something of the affect of Did Bob Greene know that you're drinking that? Oprah went completely silent, and Jillian said the look she gave him was pretty fierce.
raisingirl
ahahaha, Sassy! I fucking love it! So wish I could have been a fly on the wall backstage!
chachaheels
I believe Oprah's Decor magazine (O at Home) was stopped just because Oprah found it a more successful formula to promote individual publications "hosted" by a figure she's made popular--such as Rachel Ray or the " inhouse" designers she always has making guest appearances on her show (such as Tom Filicia, Nate Berkus, etc). Each of those people she made more well known could generate a lot more advertising income with their own individual publications or TV show specials than just a single magazine featuring her own home mirroring their ideas and sales pitches.

Before Oprah and Rosie put themselves on every cover, there was Martha Stewart, the original media maven. Martha stopped putting her image on her magazines the minute she faced criminal charges--a wise decision on her part since she knows very well how to eliminate the bad press so that it doesn't taint the product she's selling. They all learned from her--but Oprah's celebrity making machine allowed her to adapt Martha's template to be even more "successful" in terms of generating ad revenue (Martha's TV presence followed her catering and publishing success, while Rosie and Oprah both followed up TV success with multimedia business ventures, Rosie in a much more limited way. Still, you can see which form of media grants the most power).

On "that other topic", Oprah drinking diet Coke and Oprah hating herself for being her body's set weight and Oprah spreading that hate--I loved that link to Kate Harding's very clear article, by the way--Oprah does indeed show us ourselves, in a way. That struggle with weight gain and loss--when she is so clearly demonstrating that dieting/weight loss/forced starvation do not work and the body whole heartedly works against your efforts--it's still one people stubbornly refuse to understand even though the human body demonstrates so flawlessly and so clearly its effects. Despite all her wealth and experience, including the experience she continues to live out in her own skin, she's still brainwashed into believing she's immoral for being fat. Every woman in our culture has this steadfast, fixed idea in mind, despite what we all know to be true, and whether we are fat or thin or inbetween. I'd go further to say we're brainwashed continuously to believe that our bodies are immoral just because they're female, but that's another argument (and Naomi Wolf articulated that one in The Beauty Myth).

So misguided and stupid, and yet--she could use her very effective media power to alter that brainwashing campaign head on. Very sad, and yet incredibly revealing to see her avoid the truth (yet publicize it unwittingly) using the media she creates.
stargazer
Oprah's new season starts Sept. 14th. Can't wait to dish about her show. Also, Whitney Houston is scheduled to be interviewed on Oprah's show this season in support of her big comeback. Let's hope Whitney will give us some good one liners like her Diane Sawyer interview when she declared crack is whack as she was sweating up a storm from hitting the pipe too much.
raisingirl
Crack is whack! That was the best trainwreck interview ever (a link to the first part).

OMG... mere DAYS away. I can't say that I'm all that excited about it, but I will probably watch it if I'm home.
crazyoldcatlady
ooo raisin i'm scouring the net for the full interview and only coming up with clips. i need to see this shit.
auralpoison
SON OF A BITCH! Today's Oprah was pre-empted by motherfucking TENNIS. Thank maud it comes on twice!
raisingirl
I didn't watch the Whitney interview. Who did? How was it?
stargazer
Whitney was pretty candid about her drug use. It was odd hearing Whitney explain to Oprah about freebasing. blink.gif

ETA: I am watching the second half of her interview. Plus, I have to catch up with a whole week of Oprah I DVR'd.
roseviolet
I saw both parts. For me the most shocking thing was just listening to Whitney's voice as she spoke. I'm hoping she was getting over a bad cold because, damn, she sounded awful.

On Friday, Oprah's show was broadcast from Central Park in NYC. The woman was holding a gold mic the whole time and I swear to god she was wearing a Bump-It in her hair. This amused me far more than it probably should.
raisingirl
I think that's how she normally sounds now.

I MISSED A GOLDEN MIC?!?!?! And a Bump-It? Oh wow. Look what we're all missing! I don't have DVR or any other way to record shows.
crazyoldcatlady
dammit. i still can't find this online. i'm thisclose to hooking my VCR back up and taping shit the old way.
roseviolet
Here's the best photo I could find (scroll down).
stargazer
Yes, Oprah had a gold mic. You don't think the O would let Barbra Streisand be the only diva to have a special mic. If you remember, Babs had the crew create a white mic for her appearance on Oprah. Oprah was quite surprised and had no clue about the mic.

So, I caught up on the first week of Oprah. The Whitney Houston interview was interesting. I agree with RV that her voice sounded terrible. But, I think the years of smoking both pot and cigarettes have not treated her voice well.

I was worried that Oprah's reflection on Michael Jackson would be implying more depth to his death than needed. They showed her interview with Michael from years ago with her comments about some of the segments. Oprah had me cracking up with some of her feedback. Plus, I was cracking up with her dog sleeping on her lap as she talked during the show.

The Dr. Phil show...ugh, I so do not like him. I found Oprah to be counterproductive to a rape victim telling her that she should not have gotten into a car with a stranger. Uh, like she doesn't know that now or hasn't thought about that after the event. Oprah can be mean with sexual/physical abuse survivors even with her own history.

RV, omg, that bump! Her hair did have some height, huh? laugh.gif
raisingirl
laughing about Babs and that photo! My gosh. That hair thing could be the next Snuggie. I need the anti-Bump-it for my hair. Shit, I might have to wait until Friday before I can see an episode! My VCR doesn't hook up to my TV now that the rabbit ears have to go through the digital converter box. Goddamn forced obsolescence can suck it.

Oh, and on a totally serious note, I've noticed that as well about Oprah and rape/abuse survivors, but I didn't know if it was me putting my shit on her. Good to know I'm not the only one who has picked up on that.

Dr Phil's voice makes mah ears bleed like a stuck pig. AOWW)(U)(U$)($#)$(#%)(#*$)($%#)$(%#$#$%_)#%
auralpoison
Y'know, I'm really kind of disturbed by Mackenzie Phillips. I'm not gonna say the woman doesn't have legit issues, but it seems like every few years she pops up with a new scandal. Like, she's run out of drug money from her last round & needs to get more. And she always insists she wasn't high during the interviews she gave, then when she comes back around admits that she was. Now it's that she & her dad carried on a long-term incestuous relationship. I'm not saying it isn't true, but I wonder, can she even discern the lies from the truths anymore?
koffeewitch
QUOTE(auralpoison @ Sep 23 2009, 01:42 PM) *
And she always insists she wasn't high during the interviews she gave, then when she comes back around admits that she was. Now it's that she & her dad carried on a long-term incestuous relationship. I'm not saying it isn't true, but I wonder, can she even discern the lies from the truths anymore?

I caught the last 15 minutes of her interview channel surfing yesterday...I really don't follow celebrity gossip very closely so I'm completely ignorant of Mackenzie's other/past scandals.

But I don't think it much matters if she was using drugs or not. If I were going in front of millions of viewers to talk about my sexual relationship with my father I'd probably want to numb myself, too. And if I had a habit going I most certainly would not want to be dopesick. If she's exploiting herself and her traumas for dope money, it's sad. The facts of the matter are that if she admits to still having an active drug problem (and I have no idea if she does or doesn't) no one will take her seriously. YES, addicts do lie, especially about their drug use. I do know that active users rarely keep their shit together well enough to actually publish books or make public appearances. They (or I should say "WE" because I have been one of them) talk and make beautiful plans when we have enough heroin or whatever-our-favorite-drug-is flowing through our veins, but 4 hours later when we have to go score more shit all those plans get put onto the back burner. So if Mackenzie actually wrote the book herself and continues to make appearances I think this will indicate a possible authentic sobriety on her part. Do I believe her story? I do. Statistics (unreliable though they may be) indicate that some 90% or more of women heroin addicts were sexually molested or raped. I've never known a heroin user to falsely create ugly "memories" that never happened...heroin users are too hell bent on trying to forget, escape, deny, and generally just not deal with the facts of their past.

AuralPoison, I understand how you feel; and some celebrities really seem to almost gloat over their victimhood like they crave attention in any form at all now that they're not Big Stars anymore. All the same, I do understand why she would choose to lie about her drug use when her drug use is not the point, or atleast not the main or only point of her story. I suspect if people could focus on something besides the drugs she wouldn't feel like lying was her only option. Too often I have admitted to doctors, social workers, etc. that I was an IV drug user A DECADE AGO and they still fail to hear anything I say after such an admission. It's a rare person who doesn't treat me differently after I've made such a confession. I guess I'm championing Mackenzie because I can somewhat relate to her.
raisingirl
I watched the Friday show, the followup to Mack's interview. It was just a little too voyeuristic even for me. Her sister "finding g0d"? ugh. Typical. But, you know, whatever works. I had a sneaking feeling that Valerie Bertinelli was going to be on. I found it very interesting that others knew she and her father were fucking (words fail me -- "having sex" seems lacking), but that they called her out on the details in the book, like how can you remember those things in detail when you were in a drug-induced haze for decades? Hm.
roseviolet
My favorite part of Friday's show was the bit with Harry Conncik Jr. - especially the interview. I think Oprah asked him how he maintains a happy relationship with his wife/family when he has to travel all the time. His response: hookers. Clearly he was trying to make a joke, but the audience's response was stunned silence! It was hilarious!
culturehandy
Number 5, if Oprah should fall.
crazyoldcatlady
i'm very. very. curious to see s. palin on oprah.

eta: and ch, long live judge judy!
stargazer
Did anyone watch the interview with Lisa Niemi (Patrick Swayze's wife) this past Friday? It was pretty touching and sad. I wasn't expecting that from the show. It seemed like a pretty real relationship which is nice to hear about with a celebrity.

cocl, did you read the article in O? I don't think the person who wrote this article has the right to judge a mother's right to write about her son. It wasn't like she was glorifying his act of violence. If we are to make sense or learn more about others, then we have to be willing to not judge their families. It has to do with compassion.
crazyoldcatlady
cocl, did you read the article in O? I don't think the person who wrote this article has the right to judge a mother's right to write about her son. It wasn't like she was glorifying his act of violence. If we are to make sense or learn more about others, then we have to be willing to not judge their families. It has to do with compassion.

i think i missed a step...? blink.gif
stargazer
oops, i meant to direct this post to CH's link. Sorry cocl!

culturehandy
I was more or less posting the article more about ratings than anything.

I could honestly care less about Oprah.
raisingirl
It was pretty good to see Ellen on yesterday. Anyone else catch it?
coffeebean
To be honest - I never watch Oprah. However, I tuned in yesterday to see the Ellen interview. She and Portia just seem like 'real' people. It was very touching to see them together as a couple and to be so loving toward each other.
coffeebean
Okay so I saw a few clips of Oprah's interview with the woman who was attacked by her chimpanzee. When asked by Oprah 'do you remember anything about the attack?' the woman responded by saying something along the lines of 'no i don't remember any of it and the doctors don't want me to remember because they think if I do it will be too traumatizing and I may have to be medicated for it.' All of this is fine. However, in response to this woman, Oprah then goes on to ask specific questions that could POSSIBLY trigger this woman's memories....giving details about the 911 call, what the woman had said, the fact that the woman was in her car afterwards etc.

It was almost as if Oprah was trying to get her to remember. Like the wheels were spinning thinking - wouldn't it be great for my ratings if she remembered right on camera! Sometimes I really do get the feeling that Oprah does not care about these people - similar to the people who come on the show to share their weight loss stories and Oprah is resentful and not happy for them at all. Gah!
koffeewitch
Honestly, coffeebean, I even hate it when they play those traumatic 911 calls on talk shows. It strkes me as sensationalized exploitation of the victim and is generally just in extremely bad taste. Golly gee, let's all listen in to this person having the most desparate, horrible moment of their entire life. Did everyone hear all the details and the terror/pain/trauma in the caller's voice? Like too bad we couldn't get the chimp live on camera ripping the woman's hands and face off! There's a show for us all.
Allison-Shine
QUOTE(coffeebean @ Nov 13 2009, 08:42 AM) *
Okay so I saw a few clips of Oprah's interview with the woman who was attacked by her chimpanzee. When asked by Oprah 'do you remember anything about the attack?' the woman responded by saying something along the lines of 'no i don't remember any of it and the doctors don't want me to remember because they think if I do it will be too traumatizing and I may have to be medicated for it.' All of this is fine. However, in response to this woman, Oprah then goes on to ask specific questions that could POSSIBLY trigger this woman's memories....giving details about the 911 call, what the woman had said, the fact that the woman was in her car afterwards etc.

It was almost as if Oprah was trying to get her to remember. Like the wheels were spinning thinking - wouldn't it be great for my ratings if she remembered right on camera! Sometimes I really do get the feeling that Oprah does not care about these people - similar to the people who come on the show to share their weight loss stories and Oprah is resentful and not happy for them at all. Gah!

I saw clips of that interview too, I found it tasteless, exploitative and disturbing all at the same time. What sent me over the edge was when Oprah got up and pulled the woman's veil up herself, she just could not wait to show the whole effing world this poor woman's disfigurement. Like she was a greedy, spoiled child on Christmas morning that could not wait patiently to open up her gift. I can't believe all the sheep that still follow this woman and watch her show. I proud to say that I am always at work on weekdays and never stuck at home watching this garbage. Between all these talk shows and "judge" shows, I think after a few days of watching this crap would kill almost all my brain cells. It's beyond drivel.
coffeebean
Agreed Koffeewitch and Allison-Shine!
nickclick
Sarah Palin on Oprah today! comedy gold. I forgot to DVR.....
sassygrrl
holy crap. forgot about that!
nickclick
i saw about half of it. bleah.
raisingirl
I didn't see the Palin interview. But I just realized something the two of them have in common: THEY BOTH USE BUMP-ITS. I'm so sure of it.
deschatsrouge
So The Oprah Winfrey Show is going off the air in 2011. what will the world do without her. who will give away cars? Who will tell us what to read? How will I know if I'm using the right lavender scented candles?
candycane_girl
Ahhhhh, you beat me to it! I literally just turned off the tv. I heard speculation about it earlier this week but I wanted to see if it was 100% true. At least she'll end on a high note.
chachaheels
Is it just Oprah who is finishing up her show, or will she take her claque with her? I'd like to see Dr. Phil go, all The Doctors, Doctor Oz, Rachel Ray...out with all of them. And may she roast in hell on a spit if she gives Sarah Palin a show, too.

Can't bloody believe she humiliated Frey for "plagiarism" in his memoirs, but now she's showcasing one of the biggest "embellished memoir" writers in the history of the USA.
rogue
I totally heard about the end of the Oprah era from Dr. Oz. I don't know why but that really amuses me.

I don't think she'll be totally gone though - what is her reasoning behind ending the show? Does anyone know?
Babsalicious
Can't bloody believe she humiliated Frey for "plagiarism" in his memoirs, but now she's showcasing one of the biggest "embellished memoir" writers in the history of the USA.

Yeah. No doubt.

Not a fan of Oprah.
sassygrrl
I'm just sick of her. All the things about "My Favorite Things," and leading housewies to believe that she has an empire. I recently saw something about her favorite jeans. They were over $200. Anyways, I hope Dr. Phil, Rachal Ray, and Dr. Oz go away with her. She also made Tyler Perry famous, and he annoys me.

I also love that Jonathan Frazen didn't go on her show for the whole book club thing.
I read that she may be starting another network. Maybe this is why she's quitting.

This is great:
http://jezebel.com/5409713/oprah-25-years-...lebrities-names
auralpoison
"Oprah Winfrey and Discovery Communications to Form New Joint Venture: OWN: The Oprah Winfrey Network OWN to Premiere in 2009."

So many things about her gall me, but I think the weight issue galls me the most. Instead of embracing her body as it so clearly *wants* to be: bigger than the media norm of tall, slim, & white . . . she reinforces the negativity at every turn with her yo-yo dieting & her shows constantly whining about it & touting the "next big thing in fitness & health & BEING THIN". Look, if the RICHEST woman in the world that can afford all the doctors, private chefs, personal trainers, psychiatrists, lifestyle gurus, etc, etc, etc cannot love herself at her naturally plump, but HEALTHY weight, WTF are the rest of us supposed to do?

I also hate the way she talks. She puts weird emphasis in her speech that makes no sense.
Babsalicious
QUOTE(auralpoison @ Nov 21 2009, 04:33 AM) *
"Oprah Winfrey and Discovery Communications to Form New Joint Venture: OWN: The Oprah Winfrey Network OWN to Premiere in 2009."

Ugh.

QUOTE(auralpoison @ Nov 21 2009, 04:33 AM) *
So many things about her gall me, but I think the weight issue galls me the most. Instead of embracing her body as it so clearly *wants* to be: bigger than the media norm of tall, slim, & white . . . she reinforces the negativity at every turn with her yo-yo dieting & her shows constantly whining about it & touting the "next big thing in fitness & health & BEING THIN". Look, if the RICHEST woman in the world that can afford all the doctors, private chefs, personal trainers, psychiatrists, lifestyle gurus, etc, etc, etc cannot love herself at her naturally plump, but HEALTHY weight, WTF are the rest of us supposed to do?

ITA.

Some of the mainstream celebs who have gained weight in the past (Jessica Simpson/Jennifer Love Hewitt ect) could have also used that as an opportunity to promote positive body image. Instead they fight the media scrutiny with "How they lost the weight" and posing on the latest Fit and Fabulous or whatever mag after they the lost the weight.
I just wish that someday a well known influential mainstream celeb would jump off that super skinny is the only way bandwagon.
sevenseconds
You know what's the most upsetting thing for me about this show? It's messing with human dignity. I mean the reaction of the audience when she unveils that fridge thing. Don't know if it's me being raised in a more stoic ideology, but something about it is really upsetting. Are they instructed to overreact? Or is it that a near cardiac arrest gives you a better chance to be on TV for 3 seconds? Cuz I know actual human beings don't get this kind of hysterical/ moaning/ grunting when getting a fridge. I know there is poverty, I do, but still, even a very poor person cannot believe that this fridge will make their life so much better. This is a reaction to seeing your paraplegic son walk again. Or to seeing Jesus, alright. But NOT to getting a fridge.
Yes, am a judgmental bitch, and no, I have not had a rich and spoiled life, but the fact that someone directs / allows these ladies to act religious in the presence of a fridge, that someone thinks this is good promotion for the show, is giving me this really creepy, uneasy, embarrassed for humanity feeling.
candycane_girl
Seven, I used to love the "Favorite Things" episode until I saw the one you're talking about. It totally disgusted me. I mean, seriously, people screaming and crying over a fridge?! Really? I really can't think of a word other than disgusting to describe it.
auralpoison
QUOTE(sevenseconds @ Nov 21 2009, 05:11 PM) *
You know what's the most upsetting thing for me about this show? It's messing with human dignity.

Are they instructed to overreact? Or is it that a near cardiac arrest gives you a better chance to be on TV for 3 seconds? Cuz I know actual human beings don't get this kind of hysterical/ moaning/ grunting when getting a fridge.

Oddly, I think it's a little of both.

Every television show with a live audience has a warm-up person that often acts as a sort of fluffer during the actual taping. They get the crowd psyched up beforehand & try to keep that energy up & they do encourage the crowd to go nuts. And I bet they hand out free candy.

For a lot of the audience being on Oprah is one of the biggest things they'll ever do in their lives. People plan their vacations around going to see Oprah & I'd wager 98% of the crowd is female. They put on their best outfit, get their hair did, all so they can be seen for a few precious seconds on teevee with Oprah. This glamorous person they invite into their homes FIVE DAYS A WEEK is RIGHT . . . in . . . front OF THEM! They'll get to ask questions during the Q & Aaaaaay! They'll get to talk to OPRAH!*

*said in best Oprah voice.
auralpoison
From Page Six:

"Oprah's announcement that she will be leaving her daytime television outpost in 2011 after more than two decades seems to have opened the door for her best friend, Gayle King. An insider tells Page Six that King, currently editor-at-large at O magazine, is in talks with CBS to get her own show after Oprah goes off the air. King was given a syndicated talk show, "The Gayle King Show," in 2007, but it was canceled due to bad ratings. A rep for King did not respond to a request for comment."
sevenseconds
QUOTE(auralpoison @ Nov 22 2009, 10:22 AM) *
They put on their best outfit, get their hair did, all so they can be seen for a few precious seconds on teevee with Oprah. This glamorous person they invite into their homes FIVE DAYS A WEEK is RIGHT . . . in . . . front OF THEM! They'll get to ask questions during the Q & Aaaaaay! They'll get to talk to OPRAH!*

Thank you for the explanation, Aural. It was still very icky to see, though. I get way more triggered into human dignity tirades by people being casually portrayed as object-craving zombies than by the infamous "encouraged" fights on Jerry Springer. The latter is still some sort of outlet. Call it ugly or trashy, feelings are being expressed and released. It's a form of catharsis. Training the cam on a lady's eyes rolling back in her head over a freebie - that IS disgusting - thank you, Candy. It's not even consumer porn, it's ideological snuff.
Plus, I don't want the aliens watching Oprah to get the wrong impression of us earthlings. blink.gif

ETA: My frustration wasn't at the ladies reacting like that... it was at the producers who take advantage of that urge/ point the camera at it/ make it look like yeah, that's what we people are like. Cuz, we're not.
sevenseconds
Wait, Aural, are you saying it's the fact that it's FROM Oprah, like she touched it, that makes the object so amazing. A-ha.

Cuz I'm sure if her husband presented her with that same fridge, that same lady will do the neck-circle thing and list all the things he did wrong to make it only fair she's getting that fridge, and she'd act like a queen, just for the fun of it.
So yes, I get the point. My bad.

Sorry I made a big deal of this - it's not.
And. I love my iPhone and my toys. And I do sleep on a mattress with sheets;)
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.