Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Retail hell or do you have that thing by that person that is popular? You Know the thing.
The BUST Lounge > Forums > Working Grrls
Pages: 1, 2
hellotampon
Last night this woman comes in and hands me some lottery tickets and says she wants the same numbers played again for a week. I don't even know how to do that- so not only do I have to stand there punching in number after number into the machine while a line of impatient people stares me down, but I have to figure out how to play those numbers for a week.

All this could have been avoided if this girl had just filled out a sheet for me to feed into the machine, like everyone else with a complicated lotto order does. But she snottily refused to fill one out.

Then she rattle off more lotto numbers at me. On one of the tickets, I had to eat the cost because it was *wrong* because she wanted it Backed Up, not Straight, which she neglected to tell me until afterwards.

If you have 5767485676 numbers to play, and you want them *just so* then fucking fill out a sheet you lazy cow! Or better yet, GET A GOD DAMN LIFE! This woman couldn't have been more than 27 and she's playing lottery on a Saturday night. Loser.
erinjane
Bumped!
missjoy
oooh, I loved this thread and had wondered where it had gone.

I'm trying to think of stories to share to keep it alive. This one happened while I was working for a tour boat company, not really retail, but still customer service. I was sitting in my little ticket selling booth which has all the information anyone could ever want all over it, many times, in big font. Still I would get asked: "when is the next boat leaving", and "how much does it cost" over and over again. By the end of the day it would get so annoying. I would take to answering their questions along with pointing to the sign:

Them: "when does the next boat leave?"
Me: "2:00" pointing to the big sign that has the times on it
Them: "when is the next one after that?"
Me: dying a little inside
Muffy
I worked all day at the retail chain store in which I'm employeed. I suppose I can thank the young lady who called in like 20 minutes before her shift, for me getting more hours, of course she didn't have her shift covered and yet no one reprimands her for this, I just have to listen to the managers bitch and moan, Your in charge do something! Today, all the managers needed to have a meeting in the back room and at one point during the day, it was just myself and another woman running the store! Unfortunately we don't get a raise for working our asses off today. Did anyone work today? It didn't seem so... unless of course one works in retail.
missjoy
I hate to say this... but I loooooove reading bad customer stories - so if you have some, post some!

I'll share one from my days working retail in a small, independently owned eyeglass store. I was only about 19 and the boss would often leave, leaving me alone in the store - which was fine.

This senior man came in and I really wanted to be nice to him but he basically threw his (gross, disgusting) hearing aid down on the table and started telling me (in not very nice tones) that he wanted it cleaned. I kept trying to tell him that we didn't do that but then he kept yelling at me, like I was an idiot, that he couldn't hear me because he didn't have his hearing aid in. Bit of a catch22 and I wasn't touching that thing. I eventually had to close up my shop and walk him the block and a half to a place that I had noticed did deal with hearing aids - or perhaps it was just a pharmacy - I forget now, but it was one of the most frustrating experiences!
hellotampon
I have soooo many customer stories. Like there is this old guy who comes in and buys a newspaper every day. He hands me a dollar while standing off the the side of the counter and clutching the newspaper to his chest so I have to lean over the counter and try to see what paper it is, because when I ask what paper it is he won't answer me or show it to me. So then I guess how much it costs (I still don't know, and I'm always so flustered I don't remember what I charged him the last time), and then as I'm ringing it up he says in a really pissy tone, "YOU'RE WELCOME" like I'm supposed to thank him for... shopping there, I guess? As if his daily newspaper purchase is keeping me in a job. And he repeats "YOU'RE WELCOME" in a more and more pissy voice until I thank him. Then he stalks out shaking his head, rolling his eyes and muttering to himself.

One day I sarcastically said thank you really loudly and perkily, and told him to have the most wonderful day of his life, SIR. He said something about how now I'm "catching on." The next time he came in he just threw the dollar at me and left without his little routine, but now he's back to being a total asshole.

Normally I like old people and get along with them. But I can't wait for this guy to die. Hopefully alone and miserable.
Muffy
The store that I work for has decided its a good idea to have computers create our work schedules.. so now it doesn't matter how good of a sales person you are or how long you've been there the computer decides.. dum. dum. dum (pun intended)... this week's schedule: I have one actual shift and two 'on call' shifts meaning I call that particular day to find out if they need me - turns out they didn't need me. Next week I have two actual shifts... this is why computers should NOT replace people!
*shakes head in disgust*
missjoy
I shared a quick smile with a cashier at Chapters last night. I was the only one in line and the man who was at the checkout - I think he was complaining about the price of the book he had and then decided to stand at the only open cash and flip through the book to decide if it is really what he wanted. The poor saleswoman was trying to be nice but she could see I was waiting. I kind of gave her a smile to show I wasn't in a hurry and that I knew it wasn't her fault.

She ended up popping over to the next register over to serve me - reminds me of how many "fun" customers there must be like that all day.

I have to say. Fairly often you will hear conversations on the radio, etc. about bad customers vs. bad service. Recently there was a story about how a phone company basically told it's 40 worst customers (calling to compain constantly, probably rude to customer service) that they were no longer going to serve them. I say bravo - there is only so far you can go before you can't help people. The company explained it was losing money on these customers they were using up so much employee time. A lot of people who called into the radio station agreed, some did not.

I never get it when people call in and complain about how customer service isn't as good as it used to be, blah blah blah. These are the people who expect if you are waitstaff in a restaurant or customer service you are their personal slave. I don't get this - yes, you want to make a sale, but you are also a human being who deserves to be treated with respect. I mean really, your doctor or lawyer is also providing you with a service, but you wouldn't expect them to bend to your beck and call.... grrrr...
pollystyrene
Yeesh, hello- you'd think he'd learn to just bring in exact change and not have to "deal" with you (better for both of you, it sounds like!)

Missjoy, I work in a dental office; not retail exactly but there's a lot of customer service. We're lucky enough to have enough business that we do dismiss patients who are not nice.
missjoy
Actually I remember being at my dentist office during the SARS scare (I used to live in Toronto). This woman came in with her children and everyone was supposed to read over this SARS page and then sign it - I think it was part liability/part to use if there was a SARS case they could track who was there. Well I forget the specifics but this woman freaked out. Refused to sign it. I think she was raising her voice to the woman behind the desk who eventually told her to leave. The woman started going on about how they wouldn't get her business - they told her that was fine with them.

hellotampon
QUOTE(missjoy @ Jul 18 2007, 02:02 PM) *
I never get it when people call in and complain about how customer service isn't as good as it used to be, blah blah blah. These are the people who expect if you are waitstaff in a restaurant or customer service you are their personal slave. I don't get this - yes, you want to make a sale, but you are also a human being who deserves to be treated with respect. I mean really, your doctor or lawyer is also providing you with a service, but you wouldn't expect them to bend to your beck and call.... grrrr...

I don't get why people feel they are entitled to being treated like royalty at a store. This is not 1852- the employees' families don't own the damn store and no one is going to go hungry this winter if the customer storms out without buying that bag of potato chips. If anything is going to make us cashiers go hungry it's the shitty hourly wage. Yet somehow it's not enough for me to say hi, ring up their crap, tell them the price, take their money, say have a nice day and move on to the next customer. Nope, I have to flirt with them. It's mostly men who give me shit for this. They get really pissed off and pick at me relentlessly to smile, or to "act like you're happy to be here." Why do I have to be happy to be there? Why do I have to smile if it's fake? I'm there to give them change, not lick their balls. It very quickly got to the point where now I automatically become very defensive when a middle-aged man is at my register.

I just don't see what the big deal about service is. When I'm on the other side of the counter I couldn't care less if the cashier pretends to give a shit about me. If they're pleasant that's nice but if they're not, they're still just doing their job. I don't need a personal cheerleader to buy tampons.
Muffy
hellotampon, I'd prefer NOT to have a personal cheerleader when I buy tampons.

I usually just pretend like I'm super-thrilled to be ringing out people's crap. The store I work at has some policy about us being friendly, so I put on my happy face even if I wish to jump over the counter and strangle them. Its sometimes fun to act super happy when the person is just being a bitchy cunt.
missjoy
I also love it when people complain about the price of things - like it is me personally getting the money from the sale and I have set the price - sheesh!
snarky7
i was at a shop the other night where the girl at the register/taking orders was griping openly to coworkers (and most of the customers) about another girl working at the same store ("is she just gonna stand there all night and write stupid notes?") and then was very bitchy to other customers about the service ("it'll be at least a 20 minute wait, we are SUPER busy")

i swear SHE was the one slowing the productivity......SHUT UP already!
Muffy
I've worked at this retail chain store for almost 2 years now and I have been told what a good worker I am, I've also been told I'm "helpful" which I suppose would be an asset to someone working in retail... so how am I rewarded? They hired new people - one of which I trained - who now get more hours than I do! For next week I am scheduled to work ONE f'n day?! meanwhile the "new" people get more hours? I went from working 4-5 days a week, which still sucked because its $7.40 an hr... but this sucks more!

Tonight my manager complained the whole night about how one of the nearby stores in our mall play their music too loud - we could here it over our background music. I made the comment that the workers must be deaf.
tankgirl
i recently realized my one pet peeve about retail that so many people do. i dont know if its just me that this bothers, or if its a new england thing, but it really bothers me when someoene is paying for something and i hold my had out for the money and they put it down on the counter all spread out. THEN when its time for them to recieve thier change or recept, they hold their hand out to me expecting me to hand it to them instead of just placing it down on the counter, like they did to me. I just think it is some kind of symbolism about how the people who shop think people who work in retail are somehow below them, and I work in a small shop where I'm not, but people very often think I'm the owner.

I don't know that drives me CRAZY to the extent that when someone actually hands me money I want to bow down to them and thank them for treating me like a human being not their servent.
octobersky
Oooh! Tankgirl that's one of my biggest pet peeves and I'm in the midwest. I was always taught that you place the money in the person's hand - it's just polite and respectful. I HATE when people count out $5 in change and push the whole mass of coins to you in one giant lump and then you have to count it and sort it while they act all impatient.
If people place the money in my hand I give the change back in their hand, if the don't the money goes on the counter. I have noticed that some people act all offended when I do but I just smile and say "thank you" even when I'm thinking "f*** you in my head.
Muffy
tankgirl & octobersky that is annoying when people do that. For some reason the thing that annoys me the most however, is how when your ringing someone out they are in such a fucking hurry... the other day the woman almost forgot her purchase because she was in such a hurry apparently... some people have walked away without their change.
If your in such a hurry why the hell are you shopping? clearly you don't have time to be in this store buying frivilous items, I work at a mall so its not like people need these items.
sassygrrl
Just thought I'd try to not kill the thread. Started my new retail job today. Grr. I'm so not liking the fact that the schedule can change on a moment's notice. WTF? Damn furniture store...
Muffy
got to love those retail "work schedules."
lananans
Yes, retail 'work schedules' suck. Immensely. I at least take solace in the fact that I have a tiny bit of seniority over the new guys so they get the really shitty shifts. I can't complain too much.
sassygrrl
Did I mention that my co-worker stole $6 from my purse today??

I did find out that I'm only going to be working weekends the next month, and I'll probably have the week of T Day off. So, that's cool smile.gif

Yet, I don't have enough money to pay rent with only working weekends, so I'm going to have to find another part time job as well.

Grr.

lananans
At least you get Thanksgiving off sassy, that's something:) I can't believe that someone stole 6$ from you! I never let people borrow money from me at work because I never get paid back.
sassygrrl
smile.gif That's true. I'm honestly amazed. I think IKEA only gives you Thanksgiving and Christmas off.

Yeah, this was literally right out from under me.

I work with some shady motherfuckers.

angiepoo
Working in retail made me hate everyone. I used to live in a super touristy ski town and customers were either pretentious locals who expected to be waited on and would get mad if you didn't know something or tourists who would actually snap their fingers at you. Usually they only wanted directions but there was only one street in the whole friggin town with all the shops and hotels on it, they didn't notice everything was on the same block.
lananans
I had a TERRIBLE customer earlier. He was obviously 'hot stuff' in the 80's/early 90's, still spiked his hair up with hair gel and had this teenaged swagger and pockmarks, acting all cocky. He saw me and was like "I've never seen a woman working in a computer store before!" as if it was a huge deal, and then proceeded to tell me that he wanted a certain item (and pointed to it on my computer screen). I got it for him, and told him it was the same as he was pointing at, but he didn't believe me. I had to scan the barcode and tell him yes it is the right one, and he proceeded to complain about how the picture was wrong on the site (it wasn't) and that there was no way an external hard drive enclosure could hold a 750GB hard drive that was IDE, since such a thing didn't exist. At this point I was past the point of being polite with him, so I went and grabbed said non-existent 750GB IDE external hard drive off of the shelf, and said 'you're wrong, i have it right here'. Eventually we worked out getting a SATA enclosure and drive but he was just suuuuuch a jackass.

Fucking retail.
sassygrrl
Ugh. I hate when I pick up the phone, and there's someone on the line asking a ton of questions about a bed. Dude, come to the store!!

I hate getting off after my shift, and actually wanting to shop at the store. Because I'm wearing that crappy IKEA shirt, everyone asks me a zillion questions. Thinking of bringing some street clothes to change into or something.

((lana)) What a prick.
hellotampon
QUOTE(tankgirl @ Aug 11 2007, 12:49 AM) *
i recently realized my one pet peeve about retail that so many people do. i dont know if its just me that this bothers, or if its a new england thing, but it really bothers me when someoene is paying for something and i hold my had out for the money and they put it down on the counter all spread out. THEN when its time for them to recieve thier change or recept, they hold their hand out to me expecting me to hand it to them instead of just placing it down on the counter, like they did to me. I just think it is some kind of symbolism about how the people who shop think people who work in retail are somehow below them, and I work in a small shop where I'm not, but people very often think I'm the owner.

I don't know that drives me CRAZY to the extent that when someone actually hands me money I want to bow down to them and thank them for treating me like a human being not their servent.

I hate that. I live in New England too, by the way. Anyway it especially pisses me off when you try and put your hand underneath to catch their change and they keep dodging your hand so you end up with little piles of money all over the counter.

I'm a bitch (working at the gas station for years hasn't helped) and I'm not known for my people skills or customer service, so if I'm already in a bad mood I'll avoid the customer's outstretched hand and put THEIR change on the counter, or I'll inform them that I don't have a disease. A more subtle way of getting back at them is to give them their change and make as much hand-to-hand contact as you can- don't drop the change in there nicely- make your fingers all limp and brush their entire hand with yours. It gives some people the willies.

I can't stand:
People who buy lottery. Especially scratch tickets. I have absolutely no respect for those people.
Most of the customers who buy cigarettes. Gross. Especially when they come in at 7am on a weekend or something. It's like "you got out of bed for THIS?" How pathetic.
People who shop there 5 million times a day. I don't want to see your ugly face more than once.
People who eat lunch and dinner there every day. It's a gas station! You're not supposed to eat meals there! Uggh. When you carry out a pizza to put in the warmer they all hover aorund like flies on shit. It's repulsive. It doesn't help that everything we sell is completely disgusting. I always think maybe if I worked at a health food store it wouldn't be as annoying. But generally I think all people suck.

Now I have another job taking care of an old lady, and I like it. The other day she shit her pants. There was poo everywhere, and as I was cleaning it up I thought, "wow this is better than waiting on customers!"

I kept all 3 of my jobs for a while, but I've been working 100 hours a week so I just put in my notice at the gas station yesterday. I'm hoping that after not working there for a while I'll calm down and stop hating the human race so much.

missjoy
Sassy - I used to work for a tour boat company so I had a white shirt with sailor-y epilettes on the shoulders. When I would take my break I would still get asked tonnes of questions about the tourist area. I mean, I'm standing at a hot dog stand - I obviously don't work here, so obviously I'm on my break.

Perhaps they thought I was the captain of the dock.

I never really thought much about putting money in people's hands or not, I guess because the customer usually just would unless someone was counting out change. I don't know why but one day I put the customers change down on the counter - I don't know why, perhaps I was thinking about something else or she wasn't paying attension. She freaked, yelling at me about how she put the money in my hand so I needed to pick it up and put it in hers. I was so stunned because I didn't even know it was considered rude and she was flipping out - I did it in a total daze.

hellotampon
One time a customer walked away from me to answer his cell phone, so I put his change on the counter and started waiting on the next customer. I don't even remember what happened after that so he must have just grabbed the money while I was distracted or something. Then he came in the next day and complained to the manager about me and threatened to call corporate on me, wanted me fired, etc. Luckily he mentioned the cell phone/wandering away thing, so I didn't get in trouble. He must have been one of those people who's never had to wait on another person in his entire life. How oblivious can you be?
sassygrrl
One of my duties is dealing with the Lost and Found log book. One buckhead bitch walks up to me (buckhead used to be the "IT" place in Atlanta, now it's Midtown...) and says she's lost her cell phone. "Well, can you call it?" I did, and no answer. "Well, I'm going to STAY at the store until it's found, and I want you to call it every 5 minutes..." Yeah, like I don't have other things to do. She comes back about an hour later. She told me to call her on her other cell phone, and then told me that everyone downstairs was not helpful. I'm just the receptionist. Don't shot the frigging messanger.

Also complaining about my co-workers for a second, just because I'm new doesn't mean that you can't talk to me. I had 4 people talk to the guy in the back. I was sitting right there. I swear sometimes people think I'm invisible. I hate retail.
Muffy
hellotampon, I've had people do that as well. I think people that think they're lives are so important and are in such a hurry that they don't seem to want to wait for their change or their receipt piss me off more than the people who just throw their money on the counter when they pay. If your life is so busy and important why are you in my store? we don't sell food or any kind of neccessaities, they don't NEED to come in there.

The other day the store in which I work got a bit busy, one of my new co-workers came up to me to tell me about some chic who got so pissy over the fact that she had to wait in line that she threw her stuff at this poor girl and told her 'this is ridiculous!' I felt so bad for this new girl, she was mortified that the woman threw her stuff at her. I told her some people are just impatient and you can't do anything to please them.
lananans
I agree Muffy, for some people there is just absolutely nothing you can do to please them. What I get a lot is people coming into my store looking for a specific item, and when finding out that we don't have it in stock (we're a large computer store chain with stores across ontario, can't stock every single item in every single location), but we could order it in, they roll their eyes at me and talk about how its ridiculous that we don't have that specific item, because we obviously should have anticipated them coming in and wanting it. Bastards.
hellotampon
Today this lady called, asking if she'd left her debit card at the store. I asked her name, confirmed that we had her card, and said I'd leave it in the register where tomorrow's cashier would see it. She asked my name, I said Brittany, and we hung up. Very quick phone call. I went back to ringing out customers. The guy who was 3rd in line said he wanted gas "on Brittany's card" and then laughed at his own lame joke. He must have thought that "Brittany" was the lady on the phone, not me.

Since today was my last day there after working there for 3 years I chose not to humor him. So he repeated himself and when I still didn't laugh he was like, "It must be over your head." Yeah THAT'S why I didn't laugh... it couldn't have been because the joke was stupid, he got the name wrong, and the phone call was none of his business in the first place.

I hate how customers always say the stupidest things. Just because no one else thinks you're funny doesn't mean you can try and force your "humor" on a cashier or someone else who's job it is to pay attention to you because you know they can't say what they really think. No one can honestly believe that they're the first person who's ever said, "If there's no price tag it means it's free!" etc etc etc. It pretty much stops being funny after you've heard it 400 times.
lananans
i HATE HATE HATE the "If there's no pricetag it means it's free!" joke. How original, and funny. Let me excuse myself while I double over laughing, hardy har har.

customer humour sucks. That's all there is to it. And hellotampon, it's true, you can't say what you think, because if you do, you get in trouble, or close to in trouble. And trouble is not good, because I like making money.

My favourite retail story: A guy walks into the store, is the epitome of white trash, and is with his sister. He says to the sister "A GIRL! Working in a computer store! And a PRETTY girl! Better not flirt with IT!" I had become an IT. Then I ran away and hid in the back until they were gone because they scared me.
Muffy
I wish all you retail busties well on black friday. may every deity be with you because we're all going to need divine intervention
hopefully to cause a mass black out so no one can go shopping, lol!
octobersky
Just got back from working a 6 hour shift and I feel like I worked 12. (((())))) to all the Busties who worked today!!!

You would think that the holidays would make people a little more happy - but no it seems to bring out the worst in people. I'm not in retail exactly, I work at giant coffee conglomeration, but it's still kinda like retail. People were pounding on the door at 5am - we open at 5:30 and they couldn't understand why we couldn't serve them right then!! I swear we couldn't do anything right today - I even had a woman complain that she had to wait for her drink - it's the day after Thanksgiving - everyone is gonna wait. Another particularly kind man berated me and told me to "clean out my ears" 'cause I didn't hear him say he wanted me to add the cream to his coffee. Yeah he was that lazy he couldn't be bothered to add his own cream to his coffee. To add to the melee, people were allowing their crotchfruit to run rampant all over the store and get underfoot.

It was hell.
faerietails2
((((((october)))))) that sucks!

((((((hugs to all the retail busties)))))) hang in there, gals!

re: joke-telling customers...my dad is one of those people. i always glare at him when he's doing it, too. i always hated when customers would do that to me.
zora
The worst joke in my profession (I'm a pastry chef at an upscale grocery) is "It's all calorie-free right?"
FUCK YOU AND GET OUT OF MY GODDAMNED STORE OR I WILL TEAR OFF YOUR LIPS.

Yeah, I hear that joke 3 times a week. I don't know what bothers me about it so much. The other one that bothers me is boys will always make a "I'm going to knock this nice looking cake out of your hands" motion when I walk by them. It's seems almost involuntary for them.
Muffy
octobersky, people are evil when it comes to their food and beverages. I think food service of any sort may be worse than retail.
I had a lot of bitchy customers yesterday too, don't come to my store if your going to be like that, just go home. I worked a six hour shift, came in early, left late...didn't even get a break, no one did. We have a new manager who cares more about herself than other people. she took a few breaks however.
sarasota
lananans, i get the same joke working registers, "if it doesnt scan, its free, right?" ha. ha.

i also used to work valet parking and i think every man over 45 said as we got their keys was "you're bringing me the red corvette, right?" or some such semblance of them having a corvette.

black friday wasnt too terrible for me, but then again, at Borders, it gets busier the closer we get to christmas. lines to the back of the store, oh joy!
opheliathemuse
Why the fuck do people say that stuff? I can unfortunately identify with all of those sayings...
Also: smile! It's not that bad!

And OMFG re:

My favourite retail story: A guy walks into the store, is the epitome of white trash, and is with his sister. He says to the sister "A GIRL! Working in a computer store! And a PRETTY girl! Better not flirt with IT!" I had become an IT. Then I ran away and hid in the back until they were gone because they scared me.
hellotampon
Oh my god I HATE it when people tell me to smile! That's the absolute worst.

I don't know why it bothers me so much. It's always a man telling me to do it, and I think that has something to do with it.

Zora, you should say yes, it's calorie-free if you puke it up quick enough.
octobersky
I had a guy tell me that I could be happier about making his drink, he said I needed to smile more when I made it. The guy was only about 18-20 and man did that piss me off more than an older man telling me. I find it offensive either way, but when a guy 10 or 15 years my junior tells me, it really pisses me off.
lananans
haha ophelia I'm glad you liked my story.

One of the things that bothers me about my job is that in Computers there's just so much information about all the products that it is impossible to know everything. However, every once in a while a customer will come in and start laughing at me if I don't know every minute detail that they ask about (even though most of the time these people are the ones who already know the answers.) When they start laughing it makes me so incredibly angry and its very hard to be civil.
sassygrrl
FUCK. I just got off of closing the store, and then coming in 7 hours later to open the store. Working on 5 hours of sleep, so my other co-worker could "go party." Ah, to be 22 again. I'm beginning to hate retail, and have that talk with myself saying "I went to school for this?"

I had a customer tell me to smile the other day as well. I felt like saying, "If you had my boss, you wouldn't smile."

((busties))
grrrlyouwant
a 7 hour turnaround sassy? you should check with your state's labor board about the legality of that. i know in california they have to give you at least 8 hours before making you come back in to work.

all of you that work in retail, man, i would not want your jobs. you put up with way too much shit. can i ask y'all a favor though? tell your bosses that the upselling is really fucking annoying. i went into gamestop yesterday to buy my brother halo 3 for christmas, that's it. but the guy at at the register would not stop with the "would you like to subscribe to our newsletter? would you like to join our frequent buyer's club? would you like some other useless bit of service or goods that you did not come in for?" finally i had to tell him "look, i don't even play video games, the only reason i'm in this store is to buy this one item for my brother's christmas present, could you just ring me up already?" i actually had to leave a clothing store because the clerks would not let me browse in peace. i'd leave one rack to get away from one of them, and another one would pop up at the next rack. i actually went in for a particular item, but after not being allowed to hunt around for it in peace, i left without buying anything.
Muffy
sassy, I've been there with 4, 5 hours sleep. last christmas season I would get up at 6am for my part time graphic design job then work the closing shift at a store at the mall. they closed at 10 except 2 weeks before Christmas when the mall closes at 11, we'd be cleaning the store until about 1am... thankfully most of the people at the office were understanding that I was groggy and just wanted to sit in my corner and work and not be bothered. I kind of miss the graphic design paycheck even if the hours sucked.

My retail job, cut my hours this week, because retail pays so well to begin with... merry christmas! Its not the job I love, but it was okay until lately. I've worked there for almost three years, you'd think I'd have some rank as far as getting hours, instead I kind of feel like some of us get screwed lately. I don't think my new manager likes me, which is funny since almost every day for the past month in a half I've stayed extra hours for her. Apparently that wasn't enough to impress her. I think anyone who lasts more than a few months in retail is probably a person who needs a job and is reliable and is going to show up for work.
obelix2
Hugs to all the Busties who have to work retail during this horrible season.

Augh! Customer jokes. I used to work at Lechter's Housewares. We sold kitchen stuff. The store was around long before "The Silence of the Lambs". Customers would make Hannibal Lechter jokes all the time. I would look at them with the most expressionless face I could muster and say completely deadpan "Wow, I've never heard that joke before".
lananans
I've had this week off because of three exams that I'm writing for school, but I'm not looking forward to working 60 hours in the next 8 days in a computer store at the Christmas rush. Wooot.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.