Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Reel Life: The Movie Thread
The BUST Lounge > Forums > Media Whores
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51
girltrouble
just saw a few movies:

thumbsucker was great and i liked it more than i thought i would.

stage beauty was great as well, specially if you like shakespere. billy crudup is always good. it made me want to see jesus' son again. god i love that movie. whatever happened to alison maclean, or jane campion? sigh.....

donnie darko was really interesting. especially it's use of noir tropes. now i need to see brick or... has anyone seen disturbia?

pat garrett was eh.

and an evening with kevin smith was a lot of fun. the highlight has to be hearing his stories about other celebs-- the best of which was prince. he reminded me of a less mean, but no less entertaining or funny kathy griffin. oh and i liked hearing him talk about "the chasing amy" and how it offended the lesbian community. it made me really like him. ooch, but the story of him having sex with his wife was p-a-i-n-f-u-l-l. *shudders* very very good.
roseviolet
"Chaka mad. Chaka real mad." laugh.gif
GT, I hear Kevin Smith did a follow up film (Another night with Kevin Smith? Maybe?). Haven't seen it yet, though.
MaybeSparrow
I saw Brick a while ago, Girl trouble. Its really different than most things I've seen. That being said, I really think this would be better off as a play. I'm not sure if thats its original form or not, but it would be really interesting to see on stage.
gogosgirl
I think the other kevin smith tour movie is "an evening with kevin smith 2: evening harder." that man is hilarious -- I could listen to him for hours.

just saw hot fuzz last night and loved every freakin' minute of it. but now I'm feeling the need to watch bad boys 2, which can't be good.

and octinoxate, I am *mortified* that golden compass will be filmed. I just do not see how that book can translate to the big screen without being horribly mangled. there's no way I'll see it (much like I will never see bridge to terabithia -- stop effing with fantastic imaginative kids' lit, hollywood! go churn out another briget jones instead).
bunnyb
gogosgirl, bad boys 2 is so freakin' funny I had tears rolling down my face the two times I watched it.
girltrouble

mmm, is it because of the sculpted language? i kinda like that. but i like early hal hartley films...(and plays) oh man speaking of hal hartley (or one of his regular actressess)... i guess "waitress", the last movie written and co-directed by adrianne shelly (she wrote/directed 5 others) before she was murdered, is about to be released... sad...
MaybeSparrow
Does anyone else love Studio Ghibli movies? I live for them, and I just rented "Porco Rosco" to watch tonight. I'm pretty excited, I just turned in two term papers and its a little treat to myself. I also bought "Capote"--I just read In Cold Blood and wrote a paper on it, plus Phillip Seymour Hoffman = genius. Plus I bought "The Departed". Sorry for the rambling, just happy to be surrounded by good cinema.
anna k
Paris Je'Taime was entertaining. It's a series of short films, so it's hit or miss. Ben Gazzara and Gena Rowlands barely seemed to be acting, considering their long onscreen history. It reminded me of Jim Jarmusch's Night on Earth, and that was the apppeal for me.

I really liked Nick Nolte in Clean, and was glad to see him again.

Natalie Portman's figure practically looks like a 13-year old's. She still looks very girlish and physically younger than her years.

The Elijah Wood one was fucked-up. Just sick and weird.

I liked the short films featuring Juliette Binoche, an American tourist speaking classroom French, and a Nigerian immigrant. I came in late so I didn't see some of the earlier shorts.
girltrouble
ich! anna...clean.. with my current super crush maggie chung....

and i love gena rowlands...she's great esp. her 70's films...

just saw they shoot horses, don't they? which i should have known by the title and the era it was made in (70's), that it was gonna be depressing. but it was brutal. it's kind of funny, but the further i get from seeing it the more i appreciate how spare and well crafted it is.

chumscrubber on the other hand is a great, fun little biting satire about suburbia with an amazing cast (ralph finnes, glen close, carrie anne moss, alison jannie, john heard) it always stuns me that i never really heard of it.
faerietails2
i just saw waitress. it wasn't bad, but it wasn't particularly good either. that was a letdown because i'd really been looking forward to it. SPOILER IN WHITE: for someone to go through a whole movie saying she doesn't want a baby, call the fetus a parasite, and generally be non-happy, it kinda pissed me off that at the end she went all gooey-eyed and the baby saves her. it just solidifies what people tell ME about how i'll change my mind about children when i'm older or when i have them, because they're the greatest joy a woman can have. as if a woman can't make up her own mind or have her own feelings about what's best for HER. </rant> sorry, i get that on occasion, and it's insulting.

it was really sad to see adrienne shelley, though. she has a role in the film, plus she wrote a lullaby keri sings.
anna k
I went to see Rock the Bells, a documentary about a guy's quest to reunite all original members of the Wu-Tang Clan for a concert. The idea was good and ambitious, but the guy was a little obnoxious, and the organization was sloppy and haphazard. He had weak security, and kids broke through the gate to get into the overpacked theater, where people were passing out. The opening acts were horrible, and there was all this drama because ODB was too wasted or Redman was chilling out in his hotel and Cappadonna missed his flight. Plus, there wasn't any Wu-Tang music in the film, which shocked me. I knew the film was more about the production of the show than the group, but I was pissed that we heard the shitty opening acts but nothing from Wu-Tang. I was hoping it would be a lot better, more of a rockin' concert film.
designermedusa
faerie, I kind of felt the same way about Waitress.
thingsarenice
Just saw Idiocracy the other day--the boyfriend and I were laughing the whole time. Mike Judge has made an art form out of making fun of stupidity.

Also, in my quest to watch all 100 movies on AFI's 100 best list, I saw the original Manchurian Candidate and I loved loved loved it, in spite of the ridiculous hypnosis plot. Who knew Angela Lansbury could be such a bitch?
girltrouble
dood! we were just talking about how the plot of heroes is mirroring the MC. that is such a great movie, isn't it thingy? i love the visual thing with cards thru the movie. two movies i would say see next after the manchurian candidate: see the new one. it really is a good remake. it's not as visually thrilling, but it's interesting to note what they changed while the old one is still fresh in your mind, and another john frankenheimer movie, and a personal fave seconds. it's almost like a twilight zone episode, but it's a lot of fun....
sassygrrl
The only reason I'd see Waitress is my lust with Nathan Fillion. It's sad about adrienne shelley though.
crazyoldcatlady
thingsarenice- and here i thought i was a dork for keeping tally on the AFI thing. netflix sure does help with the older ones.

recent rentals:

animal house- fastfowarded 90% of it. what a racist, misogynistic piece of shit. wholly unfunny.

children of men- fascinating, ended before i could digest it. awesome directing/camera angles, julianne moore wasn't in it as much as i thought she would be.

borat- laughed out loud in some parts, kept thinking about how attractive sacha baron cohen is in real life

candy- i love me some heath ledger always. it wasn't a totally original indie film, but he (and geoffrey rush) brought some gravity toward it
girltrouble
hey crazyold cat--- i loved children of men too, the best is it's sound design--- if you still have it, watch it again, at one point julianne more says, when you hear that ringing in your ears after a bomb that's that part of your hearing dying.... and then when she (spoiler alert) gets killed ......................................................
this piercing noise appears on the sound track. it's sound design is really quite beautiful....

crazyoldcatlady
dude, i am so NOT cool with them rating movies on smoking CIGARETTES. artistic license, anyone?

anna k
Thanks to Cintra Wilson's Salon.com piece on Christian Bale, I looked up on Youtube to find this Laurel Canyon scene she described as devastantingly sexy. She was right. The scene begins at 4:39.
missjoy
I have a great place in town that rents 4 movies for 4 days for 4 bucks (not new releases and a limited selection). I got, if I can remember, Thank You For Not Smoking, A History of Violence, Saw 2 (saw the first one last week, I'm fully expecting this not to be good, but I loves me my horror movies and the first was excellent) and Signs.

Whoo-hoo movie weekend!
greenbean
Response to faerietails spoiler about Waitress in white: I totally get what you yer saying, but i kinda felt like it was a unique ending because in a typical romantic comedy it would be the MAN to save her. I also think there were a lot of similarities to the Good Girl, but not as dark.
I agree it didnt knock my socks off but I saw it with my mom on Mother's Day, and she loved it, so it made for a pleasant afternoon at least.
I was sooo sad when I heard about Adrienne Shelly. She took my breath away back in Hal Hartley's Trust.

Has anyone else seen The Dead Girl? I thought it was AWFUL! And it breaks my heart to say that, because I want to like all female-made films that have meaty roles for women. But ugg! The dialog was so bad I was just laughing at its dreadfulness the whole time. Especially Brittany Murphy. I wanted to strangle her.
girltrouble

oh god, yeah, greenly, that movie... i would see anything by hal hartley for years after that...i thought A.S. should have been one of the elves in lord of the rings, she just looked that way... but yeah, i still adore trust. when they show it on ifc, i always end up watching it all over again...
anna k
Trust was breathtaking. I worked at an artsy movie theater several years ago, and they had a large video library of indie movies, and I rented Trust. I was so shocked by how good it was, but by 2000 Adrienne had faded into obscurity. So it bothers me that her movie is getting the kind of attention it may have not gotten in her lifetime.
girltrouble

yay for ex movie theatre rep employees (and video clerkery for that matter), what other movies did you fall in love with? the devils is one of my all time faves, as is marat/sade....and i can't help but laugh when someone quotes frankenhooker.
girltrouble
whee! 2xpost!
greenbean
hey Girltrouble, "Wanna date!?" heh. I have that on videotape, with the limited edition talking box! On the back it says, "If you see one movie this year, make it Frankenhooker."--Bill Murray. One of my prized possesions.
mouse
OMFG they're making a live action BRATZ movie???????????? godhelpus!!!!!
girltrouble
omg... i'll have that voice in my head for a week...lol... i should hate that movie we had it in our theater for a year (a midnite movie on fri, sat, was rocky horror, natch).

i.
can't.
believe.
you.
have.
that.
movie.

want a date? hell i wanna have your babies!

i just saw grindhouse and lurved it. but, is it just me or is eli roth just creepy. i hated his movie preview (thanksgiving) and in death proof he was just...ick. i didn't even like looking at him...he was just so...creepy...

i was amazed because as much as i had fun durring planet terror, i think i loved deathproof most of all. i usually love gore & horror, but the first part of deathproof, well i hated it, i thought it was too brutal, which i almost never think, but goddamn-- the payoff was fucking awesome. did anyone see it as a feminist film? there is this odd girls vs women (feminists) dichotomy. i found it really interesting how the film viewed the first group of women as objects (shots of their bodies,very sexualized, while the second group almost refuse to be-- they defy our expectations almost out of the gate-- we first see them and they appear to be-- in highschool, but we find out that they are just in a movie, and one is an actress and the others are techies, working behind the scenes, and (spoiler in white) stuntman mike (who is seen as a dinosaur anyways) thinks they are just 'bitches' but finds out they are more than his equal-- infact the two women in the front seat are stunt 'men' as well. i think death proof references not just vanishing point, and the other 70's films, but also, semi-ironically russ mayer's faster pussycat, kill, kill, but more importantly, david cronenberg's crash, which makes explicit what is implicit in the film: the cars act as a phallic symbols/sex organs, the act of sex or, as in the first part of the film; rape. in death proof it's literalized by the second group rearending stunt man mike, and the language used while it was done. it is also of note that the woman who drives the white charger, also carries another phallic symbol: a gun. while talking about it, she almost knowingly makes a self-reflexive comment, as if she knows she's in a movie, and says, "i don't know what kind of fairy tale world you guys are living in..." and talks about how she'd react to being raped. it's also funny that the actress (read: the 'girl') is left behind. and while rosario dawson's charecter is sort of a halfstep between the girl/woman binary-- her womanhood/feminism comes not from taking a traditional "man's job' but from being a mom. the movie tells us she is every bit as tough as the other two in the final fight scene and her death blow....
dolor
Ciao Y'all,

For those looking for something out of the ordinary, (and who subscribed to Netflix) the best flik I've seen lately is "the Holy Girl." About the extraordinary amalgamation of the religious and the erotic which a young Argentine teenager is capable of. How this both empowers her-- and gets her into trouble. Gets others into trouble as well. Directed by a woman, and significantly autobiographical. Warning: the plot is not obvious, rather more confused, diffused. More like life, that is, and less like a movie. Set in a delapitated hot-spring hotel, which is hosting a medical conference.
It also stops on the brink of the anticipated climax !, so you have to be open to that. Cinematically /technically very impressive. Worth seeking out, I say.

This is my first post... so maybe I don't know what I'm doing...

girltrouble
you're doing just fine, dolor. welcome to the lounge. thanks for the tip. i'll add it to my queue.

so what other kinda movies do you like?
dolor
so what other kinda movies do you like?[/color]
[/quote]

-- thanks for the friendly wave, O troubled one.

I like movies that are moody dreamy beautiful (to the eye) confusing and vaguely plotted...

Such as, from Hong Kong: In the Mood for Love, and 2046.

And then, from Russia: Mirror (by Tarkovsky), and the Russian Ark.

You know them?

bye
bye
girltrouble
yeah i know of the russian films but haven't seen them (the only ruskie movie i've seen in forever was nightwatch, which was great), and of course i know the wong kar-wei films (and christopher doyle lensed films like the two you mentioned plus the last life in the universe, hero, and most of the w k-w films.) itmfl is the reasion i have a huge crush on maggie chung....

you would probably like: bright future; the last life in the universe; and 3 iron and possibly "whatever happend to lily chu chu?". and you might like the strange/vague horror of kiyoshi kirosawa, with films like pulse, cure, charisma (and bright future, but that isn't horror movie).

dolor
> itmfl is the reasion i have a huge crush on maggie chung....

Maggie Chung!! .... walking down the stairs in slo-mo, with her sheath dress on, in the rain, down to the basement level to pick up her dinner from the noodle stall... with the latin music soundtrack.... Ah...
It is TDF!

If you get into the "special features" then you learn about the historical context for those dresses, that music. The Shanghai gestures... Once upon a time in Hong Kong. It's all lost. The heart breaks! They had to shoot that movie somewhere else in SE Asia.

thanks for the tips, t-gal.

dolor
girltrouble
lol...t-gal...hmmmm....

yeah. that scene where she shows how much better women are at seducing than men--- so understated, but damn if it doesn't hit like a ton of bricks. i loaned that movie to a neighbor and we swore we would find a seamstress and each have a couple of those dresses made. and we'd wear them all summer... and they are so to die for. i loved that soundtrack too. but i can't remember if it was that one or 2046.... as soon as i heard it i went thru my old lps cos i knew i had the main song -- connie francis' 'siboney' which along with 'perhaps, perhaps, perhaps' are my two favorite standards in spanish...i think i played it for a week solid...the echo on that song, it's haunting....

but i wanted to tell you about a movie you need to put at the top of your list, since i think you'll adore it.

9 souls-- it's an asian movie (as are most of my recommends-- i adore korean films, so that's where to look for most movies i yammer on about. its kind of a existental prison break movie. and the visuals are stunning. and it's just one of those movies that you see and just go. wtf?! i'm not sure what i just saw, but i know i love it...

and since you like pretty with confusing and vaguely plotted, you might like the films of taiwanian director, ming-liang tsai. he's kind of an aquired taste, but he sounds right up your alley. start with "the hole" it's premise: its the turn of the century and a weird virus makes people think they are cockroaches. it's got all the things you like, AND great music scenes with old asian lounge music (the movie it turns out is a love letter to a certain chantuse.) i should warn you, tsai's films are slow. but you like russian ark, 2046, itmfl, and tarkovski, i think you'll be able to handle it. it really is a beatiful, funny film about isolation and loneliness. as is 'goodbye dragon inn' which references tati films (yay for tati!!!!) AND chinese chopsocky/soap opera, the dragon inn. the premise: an old theatre is closing. as simple as that. it's slower than the hole, and most of it is watching people watch the dragon inn. but it's funny, suprizing and oddly heartbreaking. particularlly if you are a film devote.

and if anyone is looking for a great, great, great movie, i highly recommend 'ping pong'. it's japanese, if i'm not mistaken, but it is fantastic, i bit of a tearjerker, in the best sense of the word. you just fall in love with these two rival ping-pong geek/aces, and you feel for them so deeply. i can't imagine anyone not absolutely falling in love with the film.

i just saw slither. it was fun. silly. gory. not much more to say about it...

anna k
I saw Air Guitar Nation, this documentary about an interntional air guitar championship that two Americans competed in to be the first American to win it among European guys in Finland. It was a little silly how hard these guys were taking air guitaring (like tuning their invisible guitar), and it made me think of Bill and Ted's Wyld Stallions. But it was sweet and funny and when I heard Smashing Pumpkins' Cherub Rock, it brought me back to my adolescent years of being a Pumpkinhead and eating up their music. Plus the European rocker wannabes with long hair and skinny bodies reminded me of the French guy I dated last year, a metalhead drummer who introduced me o obscure metal.

The film broke midway, and after one of the workers apologized, I said "This is so punk rock," and some girls laughed. I told them about how my mom went to this artsy Long Island theater in the 70's back when it first started, and people had to bring folding chairs, and when the film broke, one of the owners would pass out cookies while the film was fixed.
dolor
Oh chere G.T.Oh!,

Merci encore for those further suggestions. I'll look into all of these, I promise.

Goodbye Dragon Inn is already in my queue. Goes better with opium tea? I've been meaning to brew up some. And I've seen & liked Pulse (2001). As for dreamy, moody, broody... while I like also some creepy and a subtle touch of perversy /pervy, I have little stomach for gross /gory nightmare. My Asian paths do not go there. In fact, having Netflix has made it possible for me to work my way through all their Ozu, that calm chaste horizontal view into the domestic realm.

And then, one Asian movie that I just LOVED was "king of masks" a very moving & yes "heartwarming" story of an orphan girl struggling in a world where girls are almost worthless, where the best they can hope for is slavery-- as opposed to abandonment and starvation. She becomes an apprentice to a itinerant magician. Perhaps this would be too sentimental for a hip bustie, such as you t-gal? Tears at the end, for me. There is also this fascinating mirroring of gender reversal, between the little girl who tries to pass as boy, and a queen of the Chinese opera, passing as a woman.

Also, another moody dreamy confusing? (for the dorks) very beautiful movie about two little girls finding their way in a very difficult situation, the aftermath of civil war and the cracking apart of their family: Spirit of the Beehive. More tears at the end for your gushy dolor. Just received the Criterion treatment.

When you say tati, you mean Jacques? M Hulot's vacation is a total beloved item for me. As a wee thing I summered on the beach in Brittany with family, so it's all insanely nostalgic. It is the most nostalgic movie there is for me, period. Just that music, the waves, the clouds, the breezes. "les temps perdus..."

I'm going to track down the source for that latin soundtrack to ITMFL. He may also use that same theme in 2046.

OK, now I must return to my chaste domestic realm,

d.

> i loved that soundtrack too. but i can't remember if it was that one or 2046.... as soon as i heard it i went thru my old lps cos i knew i had the main song -- connie francis' 'siboney' which along with 'perhaps, perhaps, perhaps' are my two favorite standards in spanish...i think i played it for a week solid...the echo on that song, it's haunting....

> 'goodbye dragon inn' which references tati films (yay for tati!!!!)
feministreview
In the "Asian thriller" genre, one of the best I've seen is called Three. Check out the description at Wikipedia:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Three_(film)

Lots of food for thought in this film, or films since there are three short films.
dolor
PS The leading tune in ITMFL that I have in mind is "Yumeji's Theme," written by Umebayashi Shigeru, originally used in a Seijun Suzuki film called "Yumeji." This is also available at Netflix, tho I haven't seen it. Did see SS's "Tokyo Drifter."

Siboney is in 2046.

Both of the soundtracks for ITMFL and 2046 are on CD's... and I'll be taking this up with Santa.
Or Satan.
Or sooner.
girltrouble
of course i meant jacques tati! m. hulot, et al. the film festival here played 2 of his films on the biggest screen in town. i could only make playtime (i love playtime), but i was so fun to see it on the big screen....

my local library has a bunch of 60's asian movies including some seijun suzuki, and while i can't manage to get thru them, their soundtracks are a lot of fun. i just put the music from a movie called "blackmail is my life" by the guy who did battle royale. the soundtrack remined me most of barbarella and a bit of serge gainsberg...

i'll have to check out the king of masks. i've seen the preview, which looks beautiful in that kind of stunning, "raise the red lantern" kind of way. but i couldn't see it in the theatre...

i'm trying to remember this movie that is supposed to be about korean youth gangs i wanted to see but i can't remember the name of it... they reviewed it on "cinema azn"....

i am super excited because the film festival here starts next thurs, (aprox 350 movies in just under a month); and while classes keep me from scamming a press pass or working for them this year, paprika-- an anime movie i am dying to see, is playing next friday. the preview looked fantastic, and i love the director, so i figure i can't lose.

i saw spiderman today, loved the message, but it was too slow for a comic movie. no, mr ramie, no singing in my comic book movies, there's only so much suspention of my belief that i can stand, and thinking kirsten dunst is going to be on broadway, or a singer in a jazz club is more than i can stand.... but i will thank you for her not singing fever. i never need to hear that song sung by anyone but peggy lee, and much as i love her, i can do without, thanks. and god, i hated the cgi. disappointing seeing as it was the best comic franchise, since xmen fell off, and the fantastic four's new movie, i'll boycott, since the first one sucked so badly.

[sung to the tune of 'mrs. robinson]
where have you gone, batman begins? comic book lovers turn their eyes to you...woo-woo-woo!
[/singing]

and speaking of babyboomers (grrr), or babyboomerese; i am pissed off a julie taymor, for her new movie across the universe. i've seen the preview 2x now, and i absolutely hate the first 2/3rds of it-- really, i am so sick of boomers idolizing the 60's and cramming it down everybody's throat. and good goddamn if i never hear one of those, goddamn, motherfucking beatles songs again, i can die a happy woman. crimey! yes, we get it, the beatles, hippies, but what the fuck did you change? the world is worse than when you got it, and you all turned out to be money grubbing yuppie sellouts. for this i should be impressed? blech.

...but i love the julie taymor. titus is the best shakey movie, bar none, save maybe the orson wells versions, or that one with ian mcclellan in it, and frida was fun, but goddamn, making me watch a movie about the 60s is like chinese water torture.

why do you hate me, julie!? all i've ever done is talk you up.

anna k
I'm sick of the Beatles worship as well. I like their songs when done by other people, like Fiona Apple doing "Across the Universe," Nina Simone doing "Here Comes the Sun," and Siouxsie and the Banshees doing "Dear Prudence." I never liked Paul or John's singing voices (George is fine), and I just never could get into them, they seemed too boring to me.

I hate those 60's revivals too, it's so unoriginal and boring. And using Beatles music to tell a story is not original: I saw a high school production of The Wizard of Oz using Beatles songs that I thought was unique and fun, like the Wicked Witch singing "We Can Work it Out" in a haunting tone or "Ticket to Ride" as Dorothy gets ready to go home in the hot-air balloon.
crazyoldcatlady
so, i watched the prestige, and i have to say that the biggest misdirection in the whole movie was the fact that Tesla was played by David Bowie (!)

(i kept thinking, wow, this guy is a good actor, i wonder who he is... then the rolling credits came around, and i'm like oh snap... made me wanna go back and watch labyrinth again)
anna k
The Prestige was great. Christian and Hugh were awesome, and I liked Andy Serkis and David Bowie as supporting characters.
yemaya
I liked the Prestige as well. Christian Bale was wonderful-should put him in that other thread of ephemeral crushes. He is such a chameleon, in line with Charlotte Rampling with her hynotic eyes that can emote on cue.

Not a fan of Hugh despite his dark romantic looks, but he was quite respectable in this movie, but rather unconvincing ***spoiler as the first double.*** Scarlet was so annoyingly extraneous, but then I am probably the only person in the world who doesn't find her the least bit interesting to look at. I would agree that David Bowie rocks, he was great as Tesla---he really should act more, I think he's marvelous.
thingsarenice
I saw Hot Fuzz last week and loved it, maybe even more than Shaun of the Dead, although it is a close one.

I also finally got to see Audition, which I've wanted to see ever since I watched the "Scariest Movie Moments" segment on it on Bravo. Unfortunately, the Bravo segment managed to pack in just about all of the creepy stuff from the movie, so it wasn't as gross or shocking or scary and it would have been otherwise. But I mean, if you like scary movies and have nothing against subtitles, I would definitely recommend it.
nickclick
QUOTE(yemaya @ May 20 2007, 01:55 AM) *
Scarlet was so annoyingly extraneous, but then I am probably the only person in the world who doesn't find her the least bit interesting to look at.

i certainly agree. well, she looks pretty, but i can't think of one role where she was really good. she's usually in good movies, but when is she not the most boring or useless character? i liked the prestige, lost in translation, ghost world, even spongebob squarepants, but for christian bale, bill murray, thora birch, and spongebob, repspectively.
designermedusa
I saw 28 Weeks Later this weekend. It was good for what is was, but nothing spectacular. I saw a trailer for a movie with Mandy Moore and Robin Williams that looks really horrible.
girltrouble
oh, thora birch...where are you? [/crushed out daydreaming]

things, if you like asian horror. or asian extreme, i have a list of movies you could hunt down on my bustie blog. just click on the blog link on the upper right, and you should find it pretty easily. i'm sure busties who frequent this thread have the list memorized, so i won't repeat it. bravo ruined a lot of good horror movies with that thing. it's too bad you didn't get a chance to see auditon before you saw that, but there are plenty of shocking/scary/creepy asian movies, and you can start with the director of audition, who has several shocking, brutal movies, (like ichi the killer), but if you are looking for a great horror movie, or something a bit shocking, two films that should be (relatively) easy to find, yet unspoiled by bravo, 'save the green planet', is a kick ass little comedy/fantasy thriller, while 'tale of two sisters' is psychological horror brilliance, imho, (the director, i should mention, directed a segment of the movie, "three" that feminist review posted a bit back.)
chachaheels
I was moved to tears by what your wrote, Girltrouble--especially the part about NO MORE BEATLES. Count me among the multitudes who are absolutely fed up with the prevalence of the Beatles in the musical atmosphere. They persist like radiation in Chernobyl. The very last thing needed by anyone was yet another look at the Beatles' music in the context of a story.

But I'm sure the income from the music rights alone will help Michael Jackson and Paul McCartney grow decrepit a little more comfortably, and I guess that's what Hollywood's all about these days.

dolor
Yes, Thora Birch is so perfect in Ghostworld. Dancing to her favorite Bollywood number... She even looks just like the girl in the original comic that it's based upon!

[BTW, When I lived in Salt Lake City, I heard tell of the old "Coon Chicken Inn." Torn down, but it really did exist. The mind boggles.]

Meanwhile, I'm so extraordinarily out-of-it that hadn't come upon this kind of intense anti-60's & anti-beatles attitude before.
We all know about the right-wing anti-60's backlash-- but your (pl) exasperation (if that's the word...) is something quite different.

Hey Tea-Gal of the August Moon,
Have you seen "Tears of the Black Tiger"? It's at the very top of my queue.

faerietails2
pirates 3!!!

save for a few dumb scenes (and one way-too-prolonged fight sequence), it was a really fun movie. much better than the second, in my opinion.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.