Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Reel Life: The Movie Thread
The BUST Lounge > Forums > Media Whores
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51
candycane_girl
Okay, just out of curiosity, I looked it up and the CBC threatened to fire her but then a lot of people rallied behind her so they backed down.
anna k
Aishwayra Rai seems too much like a beauty queen to me, like a smiling frozen mannequin. It's the way she presents herself in interviews with her beauty-queen composure and regalness.
faerietails2
I saw Transformers last night because I couldn't wait. lol It's got its moments of stupidity, but it's good escapist fun. I liked it.

candy, upon your recommendation I saw Deliver Us From Evil on Netflix last night. Wow. That father that kept crying just ripped my heart out. And that thing at the end where they revealed that Bush mandated that no one can sue the Pope really pissed me off. I hate the Pope. Benedict always struck me as a total asshole.

All you with Netflix, did you know we can watch movies on our computers, and if so, how long has this been going on?! I barely discovered this fact last week, and it's awesome.
chachaheels
I can't dislike Aishwarya Rai--to me, she's the antithesis of the Hollywood starlet. She seems smart, composed, and HEALTHY looking (she's obviously not a size 0 who, publically and loudly, still wants to be smaller than that). And she is very beautiful, but there really were so many beautiful women in Bride and Prejudice. You're right about the regal aspect in her bearing--since I'm kind of haphazard and I tend to be a fashion disaster unless I'm forced not to be, I find the regal aspect a good thing!!

And I like a good adapted Jane Austen. I love Clueless, all the Pride and Prejudices, the Emmas...even Mansfield Park. The thing about Bride and Prejudice was that the story became even more exuberant with the saturated colour of the costumes, and the bangra-y music.

Yes, I was talking about Sook Yin Lee, and yes, I know that George Stromboulopoulos would be prefered by many as the Scandalous CBC star of Short Bus. My own choice, however, would be Ian Hanomansing.

Does anyone Canadian here subscribe to the supposedly Netflix equivalent, Zip.ca? Is it the equivalent? I'd love to know.
candycane_girl
faerietails, like I said, it's the only movie that has ever made me cry! That father was just so hard to watch, I felt so terrible for him and his family. I always felt there was something weird about the new pope and after seeing that movie I know why.

There was actually a documentary on CBC that mentioned a lot of the same things that Deliver Us From Evil said. I just can't remember the name of the documentary.
crazyoldcatlady
faerie, as far as the netflix online movie watching goes, i think they just started it, bc i got an email about a week ago telling me i get 15 hours a month PLUS a dollar reduction in my monthly fee. i practically wet myself. i haven't tried it yet, only because i think the fan on my laptop died, and i try not to keep it on longer than an hour lest it spontaneously combusts.

there are a lot of netflix subscribers on here. i know you can add "friends" on the site and you can look at each others movies, etc. how do you set that up?
yemaya
QUOTE(girltrouble @ Jun 27 2007, 05:39 PM) *
and yemaya, don't but out, but in! i think you are one of the few people whose seen ball of fire (which i adore) and i agree babs stanwyck is fantastic. and i would second your views on the movies youve lisited. this isn't a closed conversation, we're just talking about movies 's all, and everybody's input is welcome!

Thanks girltrouble. What a compliment especially since you are such an aficionado. I really enjoy your movie critiques in general, especially Asian cinema, despite the fact that some of it so incredibly hard to digest because some of the visual viscosity, especially in some Korean and Japanese cinema is so disturbing.

I though I was a voice in the wilderness for my penchant for Old Noir and sentimental 40’s fare.

Although she may not be considered traditional femme fatale, Anne Baxter as Eve Harrington was quite a revelation. She was able to subvert, for a moment her gold karat ambition, into this mousy, simpering, obsequious helpmate to the insecure and oblivious Margo Channing, before pouncing with deadly accuracy unto a role that would make her a star, even if it cost her soul.

The redoubtable George Saunders who oozed well oiled menace as Dewitt with the lethal wit and tongue, was (poor bugger was probably suffering from a particular virulent form of Dysthymic Disorder), another excellent actor whose demons got the better of him. The fact hat he had that weird snake charm packaged in that mellifluous voice, only ads to his amorality, and as he admitted in the end, made him the perfect counterpart, to the grasping pitiless Eve.

Marilyn Monroe was perfectly vacuous and inconsequential, as appropriately the starlet and whether it was intentional or stage fright is open to debate.
girltrouble
hey peeps! i missed the thread soo much, and yemaya, so glad that you are chiming in, please feel free to do so more often.

i haven't yet caught up, but i saw that faerie posted something about serpico, which i love, but it always reminds me of rushmore, because they do a stage version of it which, is so absolutely absurd, that i nearly peed myself when i realized what they were doing....

ok, luv and hugs (cuz, y'all are the best) unpacking now, reading later
dolor
-- back to "the shanghai gesture" (which cover the Von Sternberg movie of that title through In the Mood for Love and everything in between..),

Did you (all) see the White Countess? Unusually I don't find real Ivory with that Merchant but this one worked for me. (A good thing since it was their last.)

My romantic side liked having the lovers come together, in the end, under great internal and external duress. Also I find Natasha Richardson appealing (consistently), the family scene (with both Redgrave gals) a pleasure, the claustrophobic mise en scene of their domestic compound well done, the music at the night club charming (see below)-- and Fiennes' mannered technique was... tolerable.

Also, one esp interesting twist was the case that the Japanese gentlemen, who is presented as the most evil in his historical role, is the one who is also sufficieintly clearheaded and forceful to get these lovers together, in the end. Their development had become arrested, and they needed an outside push.

As for this music, I'm now listening to "Shanghai Lounge Divas," a 2 CD complication of pre-revolutionary Shanghai music. The first CD is tricked up with mod beats, but the second is the pure thing. Esp. good when they assume the latin Rhythms.
candycane_girl
GT, I've never seen Serpico but I love love love Rushmore and Wes Anderson movies in general! The Royal Tenenbaums is my all time favourite though. I just love all of the characters. It's kind of funny because I'm in love with that movie and so many people tell me it's the most boring movie they've ever seen. But I just love it.
mandolyn
oooo, candy, thanks for reminding me to put rushmore on our queue! the boy loved the royal tannenbaums, and i know he's gonna love rushmore too. actually, i should just buy both of them.

i had a hard time making it thru the good shephard. stellar cast, but i was bored. the boy gave it 4 stars, however. angelina was so miscast ... blech.

looking foward to watching breach this weekend. bossman raves about it
girltrouble
um i'm not so much for the merchant ivory either, but um... that cd set sounds amazng, i collect old vinyl, and my favorite records are always the ones that are a weird cultural melding-- i have a japanese crooner in japanese that is tdf, a woman doing ray charles songs in french, but ever since i saw the hole, i have been lusting for latin flavored music in japanese or chinese....i'll have to hunt that cd down... it just sounds irresistable...
faerietails2
gt, what's the name of that woman singing ray charles in french?! i must have that!

i'm ashamed to say i've never seen rushmore. i think that's the only wes movie i haven't seen, and it's the one everyone always talks about. i shall get it tonight from blockbuster. it's my goal for the day. *drools over wes*

i, too, had a hard time watching the good shepard. it's a good movie, it's got great acting, but...zzzzzzz....
mando, i agree about angie being miscast. not only did she NOT look like a young teen sweetheart, but she looked way older than her actual age! she's what? early 30s? she looked 40-something in that movie!

speaking of angie, i might go see a mighty heart tonight, even though i'm really annoyed that a great minority role went to another white hollywood movie star. typical.
girltrouble
tell you what faerie, i'll post it on my dj site if i can find it. i can't remember her name off hand and i'll have to do some digging for it...

just got back from seeing 1408. meh. it was ok, but it was only like 25% horror, the rest was psychological/suspense. i looked up the director only to discover they directed.....

wait for it.....

derailed.

yeah. and yes there were some predictable bits in the movie, but i have to say the best part wasn't even part of the movie, it was the preview for, guess what? an invasion of the body snatchers remake called invasion with nichole kidman starring. it looks like they've modeled it on the 70's one set in san fran, but moved it to nyc. looks pretty good. from the preview it looks like they keep the colors in muted greys, blacks and whites thru the thing. meh. i liked fererra's seeping sepia tones, personally. but i can't wait.

there was a preview for that awful new adam sandler movie about him pretending to be in a gay marriage with one-of-those-guys-who-stars-in-one-of-those-horrible-domestic-sitcoms-where-in-he-portrays-the-over
weight-slob-with-the-too-attractive-for-him-wife.
just what we need in the era of fighting for gay marriage and civil rights-- a comedy that reinforces every gay stereotype in the book, and the idea that 'them queers get special rights!'
brilliant mr. sandler! remind me to never see one of you movies ever again!

then there was the movie captive, which, i guess falls into the category of 'sadistic horror.' my friend started talking about how they made him angry, and i kind of shrugged it off. most of the sadistic horror movies, saw, hostel, etc, aren't as bad as they are made out to be. with them, it's usually about the punch-line. saw is the exception where the bad guy survives for a sequel, but usually they are little more that replacable cogs. after 1408 we talked about sadistic horror. the thing to me is that every generation's horror is it's pop culture fears:
50's nuclear mutants;
60's deranged hippies/druggies
70's stalkers/slashers
80's body horror/aids/ serial killers
90's ? ghost stories?

i figure the 00's are about resolving torture, and abu greb in the american mind. but the villian can't be the gov't, but rather some renegade individual, much like the 80's serial killers-- the single man run amok. but sadistic/torture movies are not new. how can you not forget the toothache inducing torture scenes in the marathon man, or even in the dystopic black comedy, brazil?
faerietails2
gt, you have a dj site? cool!

i just finished watching miss potter a while ago and i adored it. now i'm toward the end of copying beethoven, but it's kinda rough. besides the fact that they've taken some serious liberties with like...historical accuracy, the movie in general is pretty slow. and dark (lighting-wise). but matthew goode is in it. he is fucking hot.

SHIT. i forgot to find rushmore while i was at blockbuster!
anna k
I just rented Frances and Frankie and Johnny. I haven't seen either in a long time and want to get reacquainted with them.

I went to see Transformers for fun. It was entertaining, but blah in the second half. Shia LeBeouf became a cutie, which I'm surprised, since he looked like a chubby teenager with a Jew-fro before. The movie kept making me think of Independence Day and how much better that was.

I remember that my sister in high school knew Sara Tanaka, who is best known as Margaret Yang in Rushmore. At the time when my sister knew her, she was in Race the Sun, starring Halle Berry and Jim Belushi. She's been in Old School, and her brother appeared at the end of A Beautiful Mind.

I also recognized my cousin as a schoolgirl in Strike!, or whatever the alternative title was. It was a movie about 1960s boarding school girls starring Kirsten Dunst and Gaby Hoffman, and my cousin had about two lines in it. My cousin grew up in L.A. and may have known one of the girls in the film, or gotten some casting agent's info through her dad, an entertainment lawyer. She hasn't acted in any other movie, so it may have been a lark at the time.
candycane_girl
anna, I love Strike! I rarely meet anyone who's heard of that movie but I just loved the premise of it, and some of the lines are classic. "My parents think I'll be safe surrounded by high walls and lesbians."

I watched Dead Silence last night. It was awful. What's even worse though is that I still manage to get freaked out by bad horror movies!
faerietails2
i just saw of mice and men again. that movie always makes me cry. a lot (which is why i tend to avoid it).

i saw who the #$&% is jackson pollock? the other night. it's a documentary about this crazy lady trying to get this painting she bought in a thrift shop authenticated as a pollock. it's interesting.

did i ever mention that i saw john waters: this filthy world? it's basically waters doing stand up/talking to an audience. that man is hilarious!
anna k
I just watched Frances. Jessica Lange acted the hell out of that part, and I liked how natural she looked. She reminds me of my mom (same age and similar looks).
dolor
OT for GT who wrote, on 7/1:

"... all of your talk about traveling dolorious, has given me the wanderlust so i am going to the nearest exotic locale available to me: portland.
ah, dreamy portland, land of 1000 overpasses and cement bridges. that dreamy enclave of working class artists, and great resturants... "

Is Portland really dreamy, or is there a touch of irony there? Many Years ago, in Utah, I came upon a B&W photo of old Portland, the early morning streetcar!, by Minor White, and it sure looked dreamy. I must track down that photo, one of these years. Then when it seemed as if I was going to strike out into a new chapter of life, I supposed that my love & I would move there-- and open up a new stage. It did not happen. So, Portland remains an important road-not-taken for me.

Here's a Seattle based getaway I did pursue: Driving to Seattle from SLC, then flying to Juneau, spending a few days there (hiking to the glacier-- IS IT STILL THERE??), then taking the ferry south, touching Sitka... and arriving at the top of Victoria island. Which I hitched down... and ended up taking the ferry from Victoria (city) back to Seattle. I recommend it to you when you lust to wander. Or wander to lust?

Coming back on topic, briefly: My Private Idaho is the only flic I can think of that is set in Portland. Any others?
bunnyb
aside: My Own Private Idaho really disappointed me.

I'm going to see Svankmajer's Alice at arthouse cinema tomorrow night - very excited.

crazyoldcatlady
i watched high art today. the plot, in theory, wasn't anything spectacular, but the fact that i loved all the characters made it a great movie. why do all the lesbian indie love flicks ring more true than hetero mainstream romances?
girltrouble
i'm so sorry i've been distracted, lately dear, dear, dear dolor,

i have to look for a job, and well, it's taking a lot out of me. the only movies i've watched are the ones that have been on my ex's cable. (ugh. i feel like i need a shower), the holy girl is waiting for me at home, but at home i am guilt ridden by all the stuff i have to do. (and i've been neglecting everything since i started the welding program 3.5 months ago...

but as for portland, i know it sounded sarcastic, but i've wanted to move to portland for years, i actually prefer it to seattle in all but one aspect-- seattle is a better city to longboard. but portland reminds me of everthing i loved about seattle when i moved here, but has disappeared. plenty of old buildings, an ocean of dive bars, working class atmosphere, good resturants, and a lack of pretention... all things that are becoming all too scarce here.

and i love pvt. idaho. like i said i'm a sucker for sculpted language, so the part where they go into shakespere-- you know, the part most people hate? is the bit i love most. drugstore cowboy is my favorite of his movies. that said, i'm off gus van sant. elephant was interesting, walked out of last days. his movies work best when he loses reality, not when he adheres to it....(if'n you're askin' me.)
anna k
I liked Ratatouille. It was sweet and funny, Patton Oswalt's voice was perfect for it, and despite that I knew that Janeane Garofalo did a voice, she sounded very different, no trace of her nasal sarcasm.
grrrlyouwant
is it possible to crush on giant alien robots that turn into big rigs? cause i saw transformers yesterday, and i'm embarrassed to say i couldn't tell if that was pure geek love making me squirm or, you know, somethin' else. happy.gif oh, it was a good movie though. i'ma go see it again tomorrow before work.
dolor
"....i have to look for a job, and well, it's taking a lot out of me..... the holy girl is waiting for me at home, but at home i am guilt ridden by all the stuff i have to do. (and i've been neglecting everything since i started the welding program 3.5 months ago..."

Yikes, Dear Gal, I'm so sorry to find you so stressed and distressed.
Hope the job thing pans out pronto, since that will help all around I'm sure.

Didn't you also enjoy van Sant's "to die for"?

If you (or anyone else lounging about) are intrigued by trashy exploitation movies of the 50's and early sixties, Here's something to cheer you up: Geoffrey O'Brien's _The Times Square Story_ It's a hoot! A one sentence run-on reverie about making such a movie, with all kinds of apt illustrations. Yes it involves reading... but not much. You can knock it off in an hour. Something that will fall into your "fun" category, rather than one more thing undone... It's in print, so I think you might be able to find it easily at a bookstore, and just check it out. You'll know immediately if it's your cuppa tea.

I'm now watching Vanya on 42nd St-- with your encourgament. Not sure how I feel about the acting... I didn't like either shawn or Gregory in that two-guys-yakking movie, my dinner with Andre, and sill don't-- but Mamet's updating is good. Everyone is more insightful than in the original, and it helps mucho.
girltrouble
oooooh, i knew there was a movie i was missing... tdf comes in tied with idaho.

as for vanya, it's a bit talky, but then most plays are, and if you are prone to think that chekov is nothing but whiny rich people, then vanya won't change that, but the thing i like about this version is that it contemporizes the script quite nicely. (i'm being chided by my ex's roommate for using the word 'contemporize') it is, to use another imaginary word, relatable.

ah. he's assured me that i will have my own seat in hell reserved for those who abuse language. that's one goal i can mark off my list...

i miss you, dear dolor, but i do hope you are having a ball.
anna k
I rewatched Frankie and Johnny. I love everything about that movie. I love the camaredie of the diner staff, the performances of Michelle Pfeiffer, Al Pacino, and Kate Nelligan; the sadness and happiness; and how honest it feels. It makes me wish I had seen the play on Broadway several years back. I just get wrapped up in this sweet little romantic film.

I got bored with Vanya on 42nd St. I didn't care about the play, and it felt dry and boring to me.

bunnyb
I'll need to re-watch Frankie and Johnny; I watched it many years ago and loved it.

Svankmajer's Alice was a headtrip and I didn't like it. I found it impressive but not enjoyable although it was true to Carroll's cruelty and dream rationale.
dolor
"Svankmajer's Alice was a headtrip and I didn't like it. I found it impressive but not enjoyable although it was true to Carroll's cruelty and dream rationale."

Agreed-- except that I don't see Carroll as cruel-- to Alice, I assume you mean. Carroll shows up as the White Knight and he is the only one who is kindly to Alice, in his odd way, who is not so totally caught up in their agenda, and indifferent to her. It's the warmest moment you find therein.

I've seen about 6 Alices (finally saw the Jonathan Miller Alice, which I've wanted to see for years) and none has captured the unique combination of nightmare and whimsy. All the versions are either too creepy, or too giggly.

Yet, Alice could be made cinematic.

I could imagine Neil Jordan doing a good version, he is alert to the nature of children... but fear that he would go too creepy.

Also, these various Alices never seem to be the right age. This may be under the influence of Tenniel's illustrations... but I always see Alice as around 11, *on the brink of puberty, her sexuality*, and at this point wandering into the confusing world of adults, with their various fixations and agendas.

I recall Svanmajer's Alice as around 7, far too young.
mandolyn
the devil wears prada: meh. worth it for meryl. and stanley.

the deep end: better than meh, but not much. worth it for Goran Visnjic. yum.

breach: not half as good as i'd heard. the menfolk loved it, tho. and chris cooper can do no wrong.

little children: meh. the ending only made sense because i'd read the book. the narration annoyed me. lurved kate, as always. and the kidlets were very good actors. brad, the 'prom king'? horridly miscast. blech!

music & lyrics: thoroughly entertaining. give hugh grant a good script, and he's enchanting. plus, i liked the song, godhelpme.
kari
Mando, I really liked Little Children. I would be interested in reading the book. I thought the guy who played Brad was really cute.

This weekend I saw Once. It was very good, but a bit too heavy on the songs for me. I knew it was a musical of sorts going in though. I liked it but probably could not sit through it again.
candycane_girl
I actually wasn't that impressed with Music & Lyrics. It was just a bit too predictable, alright, but nothing special.

I really enjoyed The Devil Wears Prada, I'm not sure why. I've always been a bit interested in fashion and the whole idea of the fashion world and I usually enjoy Anne Hathaway. Plus I think it's one of those movies where no matter how terrible your current boss is, the movie makes you think that maybe he/she isn't that bad. It's something that almost anyone can relate to.

I rented Dreamgirls on Saturday and it was thoroughly enjoyable. I loved the songs, the acting, everything about it.
dolor
"breach: not half as good as i'd heard. the menfolk loved it, tho. and chris cooper can do no wrong."

I bailed on Breach yesterday. It's a fascinating (true) story, and Chris Cooper is so strong, nails it per usual, but the rest of the acting was generic at best, dialog was implausible, the "hero" was a zero, the music cheesy and manipulative, the pacing sluggish... Surprisingly disappointing!
designermedusa
kari, so Once is lots of singing then? I know it's about music, but I wasn't sure if there was a ton of singing. I can not watch musicals, so I guess it's good I didn't go see it.

mando, interesting point about Brad "the Prom King". That actor is also in Evening, and he is considered good looking in that film as well. I just said to Twin DM that I didn't understand why he got hunky roles. Interesting fact, he is the son of a local newsman where I live. He was also in Hard Candy, and he played a creep.

I saw Sicko this weekend, and I know there is alot of Michael Moore hatred, but this is a really good film. It made me cry, and I never cry in films.

I also watched Down in the Valley, it stars Edward Norton as a wannabe cowboy in California. It was weirder than I thought it would be. Funny thing is I don't really like Edward Norton, but I have been watching many of his films recently.
kari
Designermedusa...yes, A LOT of singing. Maybe rent it later so you can FF through the songs.

I want to see Evening, but I've heard it's gotten bad reviews. Anyone seen it?
Appletinis
Anyone who loves twist and turn ish movies NEEDS to watch Lucky Number Slevin. Not only is Bruce Willis amazing (when is he not?) but Josh Hartnet seriously surprised me in the lead role. Its not really new but I guess I missed it coming out the first time around.
sassygrrl
Sicko was really good. I even caught Mcgeek crying a bit, and the boy never cries. I really liked it.
Harry Potter is coming up, and Hairspray is next as well!! smile.gif

I want to rent Evening. Once isn't playing anywhere nearby.
faerietails2
I just finished seeing Irreversible, a French film about this woman who gets brutally raped, and her boyfriend and ex go after the rapist. That rape scene is awful, and it lasts about 10 minutes. It's explicit without being explicit, if that makes any sense. I had to go back and see certain scenes twice in order to fully grasp the events that happened, especially toward the beginning, because it's really confusing at first (the camera work sees to that). Overall I thought it was a great, tragic movie. I'll probably be haunted by that rape scene for a while, but I think the movie is definitely worth watching.
Babsalicious
QUOTE(candycane_girl @ Jul 9 2007, 09:17 AM) *
I actually wasn't that impressed with Music & Lyrics. It was just a bit too predictable, alright, but nothing special.

I agree..I wasnt thrilled with it and I thought it was kind of boring.

I need to see more movies. I really liked The Holiday! Drawing a blank right now on others.
anna k
I thought it was boring too. Hugh and Drew didn't seem to have any chemistry, and the story fell flat for me.
ginger_kitty
Rented Brick and hated it. I couldn't even force myself to watch the whole thing, it was just so crappy. Couldn't figure out what was going on, and didn't care....

My hubby took me to see Transformers, which I enjoyed. He was more excited about it than me, but I don't remember much about the old cartoon. Couldn't help but think it there was a lot of glory shots of GM vehicles, to sell thier cars. But it was good, all the same.
anna k
I enjoyed Waitress. It was sweet and cute, though I hate seeing Jeremy Sisto playing creepy/jerk characters. I want to have a mental image of him as sweet dumb Elton in Clueless, not as a fucked-up sister-fucker on Six Feet Under, a stoner boyfriend in Thirteen, or an passive-aggressive abusive jerkward in Waitress.

Adrienne Shelly was so sweet and beautiful in this movie. I want to remember that and her role in Trust rather than think about the last moments of her life.

I've liked Keri Russell since I saw her on The Mickey Mouse Club when I was 9. I thought she was beautiful and angelic-looking, and would see her pop up in a Bon Jovi video, Malibu Shores, and Honey I Blew Up the Kid, all before Felicity. She's just cute and sweet to me.
LoveMyPugs
Sorry to interupt but I was just wondering if anyone else is as excited as I am for Peter Jackson to start working on The Lovely Bones! He has Mr. & Mrs. Salman cast and Susie is supposedly going to be played by Saoirse Ronan and not Dakota Fanning anymore. I loved the book and can't wait to see the movie. I hope it's not a let down. I've enjoyed Peter Jackson's King Kong and loved The Lord of the Rings series. I'm sure he'll do a great job.

*squeel*

I can't wait!!!

Also, has anyone seen MirrorMask? I liked it very much. It's going on my Christmas list.

Saw The Fountain tonight. I didn't hate it but I didn't love it either.
anna k
I rewatched Poison Ivy. Fun, classic B-movie. Drew Barrymore was so cool back then, I liked her when she was the sexy bad girl of the mid-90's. She got more average and likeable later, but I adored her back then.

The video had a trailer for one of the worst movies ever: Excessive Force, starring Thomas Ian Griffith as a tough guy who kickboxes first, asks questions later. I kept rewinding parts of the trailer to laugh hard at the tough-guy dialogue cut with quick fight scenes.
candycane_girl
I finally rented Volver last night and I loved it! The story was so interesting and different from what mainstream American cinema offers us.
My mom started watching it with me and even though she often likes more mainstream movies she enjoyed it as well. The acting was great and it was just an all around good story.
LoveMyPugs
Saw Flyboys today. It's was a good movie. Not great but good.
MaybeSparrow
Recent viewings:

1408: so so good. It was the best kind of scary, not plain gore, or something that relies on startling the hell out you either. John Cusack was great

Stranger than fiction
: Very sweet, but not too sweet. I love love love Emma Thompson, and Maggie Gyllenhall is amazing.

Ratatouille: Cute, but not my very favorite Pixar movie--I recommend it nonetheless however.

Good Fellas: I loved this movie despite the several shots of people being straight up shot in the face/knees/feet. I was really surprised at how Ray Liotta pulled it off
crazyoldcatlady
maybesparrow, the maggie gyllenhall part was too cute. (did i just say that?) i also fell in love with will ferell all over again.

watched shortbus today. *loved* it. i know i am going to be chewing this over in my head for the next couple of days. the guy who played james was amazing. i kept thinking about how all of these people were first-time/unknown actors. made me kind of mad, knowing that these people weren't getting exposure, unlike certain horrible actors in freaky friday, which i also had the displeasure of watching on tv last night, as i was too tired to do much than lay on the couch.
chachaheels
I really want to see Shortbus because I keep hearing such great things about it. Not all of the actors are first timers or unknowns, though--I recognized one or two, and certainly Sook Yin Lee (she played the preorgasmic sex therapist) has worked in a number of films (all of John Allen Cameron's movies, including Hedwig and the Angry Inch). Plus, she's had a long career as a radio show host on the CBC and a vee jay on Much Music before that. And she's done music for ever. Other than doing the mainstream broadcasting career she's deliberately chosen to do non-mainstream film, artistically. Stuff that we all know will never be "Hollywood". Still, she turns up in these little movies that seem to reach a lot of people anyway.

I often wish these kinds of actors and these kinds of films were more lucrative for the people who work hard to make them, but I know what ends up happening to artists this good who do "make it big" and end up being given only the shlocky crap films to do after they become successful.

About Volver: I think the most powerful thing about that film is the way the mother/daughter relationships are explored; so different from the relationships Almodovar picks apart in his other movies. It's funny, in an earlier movie called The Flower of my Secret, Almodovar's main character, a woman who is a successful writer (using a pseudonym) of really popular romance novels tries to write a book she hopes to publish under her own name, as "real" literature...and this manuscript is actually Volver! When she demands to cut her Romance Novel contract with her publisher--who becomes furious and threatens to sue her--she throws the manuscript into the trash. Months later, the "story" she throws away gets made into a really successful film. Since she's shown the manuscript to only 2 people (2 different publishers), one of which is the romance novel publisher, she wonders who could have plagiarized her work (and the 2 publishers wonder who she plagiarized to write her manuscript)...and the whole thing is resolved in a way that also fits in with the Mother and child theme beautifully. If you get a chance to see that movie, don't miss it. Amazing to see that story come to full fruition almost 20 years after it made its "first" appearance as a discarded idea in one of his earlier movies.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.