Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Reel Life: The Movie Thread
The BUST Lounge > Forums > Media Whores
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51
girltrouble
chacha, i am so crushed out on you... i love it when you get all filmic...

my idea of the quintessentual american white phone movie is anything with goldie hawn or steve martin. they are the zenith of the type of movie making i loathe. the thing that really chapped my hide was their remake of the out of towners; originally a solidly middle class 70's black comedy, starring jack lemon and sandy dennis, about a man trying to get a promotion into middle management. in the gh/sm version, she is constantly draped in fur coats, expensive clothes, and go to only the nicest hotels. and where in the original they were always reminded of crime and the seedy side of nyc, in the new version, every situation is a set up for a cameo for one of their comedic charecter actor friends....

of course, as you point out, very few films now deal with monitary inequality, or monitary issues at all-- let alone poverty. that, they seem to be saying, is the perview of arthouse films.

personally i fell in love with 80's + british working class films-- like those of ken loach (riff raff, raining stones, ladybird ladybird), or more provocatively, the films of mike leigh (life is sweet, naked, meantime, or even his period piece, vera drake). their grittyness was a refreshing change from the bubble gum simplicity of american film life.

but then, i love the pessimism, grit, and inventiveness of american movies of the 70's...i just wonder where the hell all the good films went. i miss those complex charecters, which explains why i adore solendz' happiness.

as for storytelling, i think it was a bit maligned because many of the reviewers thought the idea of a movie having the lead part played by several different actresses of all different types, was pure gimmick. not realizing it was a technique done by the father of surreal film, bunuel, in the brilliant, that obscure object of desire. in object of desire, the main charecter fails to notice that the woman he is obsessed with is played by two different actresses. the result is that we see she is far, far different that the ideal he imagines her to be. the same point is made by storytelling, as you can guess from it's title-- it's about this way we have of not looking at this teenage girl who is trying desperately to get pregnant, and white wash her with our own assumptions. solondz certainly doesn't take sides, either. both the left and the right are taken on. what is interesting to me, anyways, is the way that solondz makes us aware of those assumptions with each change of actress. all the while we think we know what she should do, our perception of that subtly shifts, when she is black, a red head, etc... and i think that is what i like about his films since happiness, he keeps you at once in the film, but aware of how you are perceiving what is going on in the film...something very few directors can do for any length of time...

back to crash for a second, i agree about the odd chemestry of deborah kara unger and james spader. it seems much more real to me than most movie relationships. but then i've had a huge crush on DKU for a while. i adored her in the game. how can you not love a movie where its all about turning michael douglas' life to shit. even if it's temporary. he seems to make these weird equally detached, upscale (white phone?) masculine nighmares (think fatal attraction, basic instinct)
pepper
holy shamoly, got my computer back from repair (my geeky little technofreak brother, bless his antisocial basement dwelling soul) and i watched the movie Sicko that he stuck in there. anyone else seen it? yikes, so scary. i cried. i find that kind of real life story more moving, frightening, heart wrenching etc than anything made up.
loved the bit at the end about the hook-a-canadian site for americans wanting to get married for access to health care. what a brat m. moore is.

i watched the wizard of oz the other day with my boy, what a movie that is. i've been reading maguire's wicked and son of a witch recently so it was a whole 'nuther view into the story line.
why don't they make movies like that anymore? the singing in disney films these days is absolutely repellant.

chachaheels
Oh, Girltrouble, you are so complimentary, I'm blushing! But: you know I looooove that.!

I remember watching The Out of Towners when I was a kid, my brother and I imitated Jack and Sandy's signature lines for days afterwards. I thought the remake (a white telephone concept all by itself, if one ever existed) was roundly disapproved of for exactly the reasons you stated. In that film specifically, the flaunted wealth counterpoints old Jack and Sandy's struggles to get ahead, which are so frustrated. It's such a cynical insult on the original film's commentary, a big ninety minute commercial for Rudy Giuliani's economic bath project in Manhattan ("If you're not making 100K per year, get off this island now or you'll end up like Abner Luima!!").

I know what you mean about the films of the 70's...but the influence of the Situationists (among others) was still so fresh in everyone's minds then, and people really seemed excited about exploring all kinds of issues in film because film seemed to be "opening up" in such interesting ways, all over the world. So many of the US artists working then seemed so promising, but only a few actually kept working along the same veins as the ones which so inspired them. But don't forget about the critics who were also working then: they had a readership who demanded really good analysis, far more than "I liked this film because Starbucks had a big presence in it, and the newspaper's placed my column just above one of their weekly ads..."
Certainly not all the films of that era were great, but they were marked by their sense of experimentation, their comparative fearlessness in presenting a much more realistic portrayal of people, no matter what the "official" portrayals conveyed. So many of those films still hold up.

Pepper, I'm so glad you're computer's revived!!! I know what you mean about the Wizard of Oz. I simultaneously loathe and obsess about the film whenever it's on. The story's so....odd, for a story. So contrary to the whole idea of a "journey". I have a neice who could not stop watching it when she was a child...it really formed her aesthetic sense.

ginger_kitty
I watched Miss Potter, which was absolutely adorable!

Also rented Shopgirl, and loved it! I was skeptical b/c I a not really a Steve Martin fan. But ended up pleasantly surprised by how good the story was. And I loved Claire Daines as Mirabelle.

Saw The Squid and the Whale, which I found kind of dark but very honest.

And also Marie Antoinette, I was affraid I wouldn't like the movie, b/c of the sound track and various other reasons, but I really enjoyed watching it. I'm a sucker for lavish sets, and vivid colors.
dolor
Ciao Y'all,

Cha-cha: Did you catch Cronenberg's brief apt sinister cameo in "To Die For"?
Also quite amazing that he had the nerve to do Burrough's "Naked Lunch."

Girl Trouble: Another movie where Michael Douglas plays a man... at the end of his tether is "Falling Down."

Not much happening for me, filmically. I'm still hoping to write down just how amazing "I am Cuba" is, and also get into its strange history. Especially since my sister has been travelling to Cuba (surreptitiously) on a regular basis, and came back with the typical dismissal. As a jaw-dropping Russian-Cuban hybrid, it was just too Russian for the Cubans, and then too Cuban for the Russian, and so bombed in both countries. So amazing that it was rescued from oblivion. Highest recommendation.

ta ta fer na,
Dolor
chachaheels
Dolor! Baby!

I DID catch Cronenberg's brief but chilling appearance. And WHY was he in this film, you ask? Because it was filmed in Brampton, Ontario. That's why. If nothing else, Dave is a terroir-affixed Canadian soul. He's probably been in every film ever made here (as long as the plot was more than coherent). And his film school pics were all little vignettes on Toronto Landmarks. He does do quite a bit of acting, though.

Did you see him in Last Night? As the man who has to phone everyone on the power company's client list, to tell them all "goodbye"? He's so creepy, he's creepy even when his intentions are good.

I always thought Burroughs was Cronenberg's Spirit Guide.
But I found that movie very hard to watch. Funny though, in parts.

As for me, it used to be quite a treat to see him walking around in downtown Toronto, and once I stood at the corner of Bay and Charles streets, waiting for the light to change, right beside him and Atom Egoyan, who were going somewhere in the vicinity for some purpose I could never hope to know. He must have seen me gawping at him, because he smiled at me and said "hello". I was most likely creeping him out, for a change. I'm not that crazy about Atom Egoyan (much crazier about his wife, though)...but I do know most people either like one or the other. Odd seeing both together, out on an errand, or on their way to lunch, on a sunny summer afternoon.

Now I don't spend a lot of time in downtown Toronto anymore, but maybe I should. The film festival has started, so I'll just wait a week or so before making my way down.

I'm ashamed to say I have not visited Cuba yet. I have this awful feeling it's about to be invaded by the US, and the world's last holdout against McDonalds and Starbucks will cave.

What am I saying? Guantanamo Bay is lousy with McD's and Bucky's already. And the Gap, for sure.

(but at least it's contained).
crazyoldcatlady
finally saw bound. the first 15 minutes, i'm thinking, "oh great, some cheap-ass film about lesbians as written by some guy's fantasy." but the whole movie from there on out was downright suspenseful, and overall pretty clever. and, to add the oomph of "catlady, you were so off", i see that it's the result of wachowski bros. handling. nice.
sassygrrl
Really liked 11th hour. It was Leo's take on the environment. I just wish it was playing in more places so everyone could see it. It made me mad, but also make me quite sad.

Cronenberg's new movie is supposed to be amazing. One word: Viggo. smile.gif

anarch
I Am Cuba was recommended in one of the special features in Gillo Pontecorvo's The Battle of Algiers. What a beautiful, moving film. I wish it had come with special features like TBoA's that placed it in both historical and retrospective context, but it was good for me to get off my lazy ass and look that stuff up. (My knowledge of Cuban history was only slightly better than my husband's. He had difficulty getting the concept of Communists as underdogs: "So...the Communists are the ones demanding freedom?" lol. He needs more political history films.)

Pontecorvo's Burn! kicks ass, too.
girltrouble
Dearest, heart throb dolor....?

has our torrid summer romance ended? oh, i know you've got a SO now, but we'll always have the holy girl. sigh. i've not watched many movies lately either. it's like some awful, horrible fever i'm waitng to break. i know it's bad when an invasion of the body snatchers remake can't pry my ass out of the house. no, i've only been able to watch comedies of late. usually the last thing on my list, the word comedy, infact, is a word i have a hard time saying without a sneer. i rented infernal affairs, only to have my daddy and her housemate watch it while i did dishes. hmph.

you do know i day dream about you, don't you dolesome? it's one of those desert island affairs, although for some reason in the center of is island is a video/dvd store that, inspite of the fact there is one running the establishment, and no one on the island but you and i and the cast of cinema paradiso, the movie place still gets monthly parachute drops of new movies. there is also a state-of-the-art sound system, and a dreamy waterfall on which to project the movies on with a brand new digital projector. we have the option of floating or swimming in the lagoon durring the film, or lying on the beach. it's paradise, mostly because of the brilliant company. there seem to be guest programmers who visit to pick films, the most frequent of which is cha cha. i wish she'd stay, but she keeps mumbling something about "the luck of the irish." anyways, right now i've got that horrible "seasons in the sun" song going thru my head. oh dolor... or should i call you the writer formerly known as dolor, since things have brightened so for you?

speaking of islands...
i've always wanted to visit cuba-- i've always adored delapidation. in point of fact it's why i have a thing for L.A. and los vegas. well, that and googie architecture. meh. i don't know where i'm going with all of this, except to say i miss you, dearest. and i hope life is treating you as well as it does in my dreams.

~gt

cha, i thought i loved atom agoyan, but alas, it was only a crush. it started at the adjuster and ended with the sweet hereafter. with exotica being the peak. but it was a crush, and well, it's done. i would have thought i'd have a thing for his wife too-- brunette, curly hair, etc, but her acting is so terrible, surely the arsenee/agoyan team's only competition for bad wife acting/casting razzies can be the lindsey crouse/david mamet combo ...
i had a friend interview mr c, and said he was the most normal person he'd ever met. which shocked him. but he said he was friendly, and had a great sense of humor.... i generally don't like meeting famous people i even slightly admire, but he'd be the exception.

sassy: chronenberg's last movie, a history of violence starred viggo too.
chachaheels
GirlTrouble, I like Atom Egoyan for purely non-film reasons.

A good friend of mine did the Art Direction for The Sweet Hereafter (a film I thought verged on the manipulative...but even so, it still broke my heart, story wise). Is it just me, or does he make you kind of feel guilty for the tragedy he's showing you, whatever the tragedy is in any of his films?
Atom Egoyan was the doppleganger of another very close friend of mine, way back in the 80's, when he wore his hair in long dark ringlets, and sported those round-framed glasses. They were like twins, even in the way they dressed. A mutual friend of ours once followed after Atom calling out Bill! Bill! and becoming really upset that he wasn't turning around when she called him. She found out he was Egoyan (and not our friend Bill!) when he showed up to lecture her class on one of his first movies, Speaking Parts.
Generally, Egoyan's outspoken about arts funding in Ontario, and province where it has been severely threatened for almost two decades (and he usually does a lot of this with Cronenberg. They're both publically lauded for being so successful...by the same government which won't give anyone else the kind of funding they got in order to become that way. To their credit, they are both very outspoken critics and can put a great deal of pressure on governments to put tax money behind artists too). So for these things, he's okay in my books.

But I hear you on the Arsenee problem, although she's just such a good looking person, and such a presence in the world. Funny you have a filmic parallel in the US in Mamet and his wife! I'm shocked your friend found him to be "the most normal person he ever met", because he writes so much anger I expect him to just rant and rant in real life too. But maybe that's how he exorcises himself.

Anarch and Dolor, I had intended to watch Pontecorvo's film The Battle of Algiers...but now that I Am Cuba is being mentioned twice, I want to see it first. It's supposed to be very creatively shot. We sure have been sold some line about them communists, huh?

(irish luck! sigh!)
girltrouble
well i am glad to hear that about mr c, and mr e. and i agree, arsenee, is amazingly beautiful, in that andi mcdowel (who is an equally bad actress)vein. and speaking parts and his first couple of movies were why i initially loathed egoyan. but the adjuster was so much fun and smart, well i fell in love, and by exotica, he was one of my favorites. the way he made the audience complicit was the main reason. but as much as i loved it, sweet hereafter felt like spielburg territory to me. but the art direction, i have to add, was FANTASTIC. i want to like his films, i just can't of late.

the thing about my friend's comment about mr. c was that he grew up in a super normal city, with a super normal family.

thinking about speaking parts reminded me of the films of another director who i loathed initially, but then started to really like, gregg araki. part of the reason i loathed him, was purely non-film, sort of. i was working hospitality for a film festival, and his first movie, the living end was in our selection. he came into town, and was the biggest asshole, like we should all be kissing his feet. as another person on staff said, "he put the "ick" in prick." granted, his film, living end was one of the first openly queer films about aids, but they misogyny in the film, most of it directed at lesbians, made the film odious to me. and, objectively, it was crap. i thought he'd have his one movie and go work in a dairy queen somewhere, and good riddance. but two films later was doom generation, which wasn't exactly good, but had a lot to say, and i could see that he was starting to create his own way of expressing it thru film that wasn't as bombastic-- sort of... and suddenly, he's alright....i've heard good things about the mysterious skin, but

weird.

snow white
i also liked marie antoinette, i like how sophia coppola made 18th century france feels so fresh and modern. most period movies feel so much like a musty smelling book, like something alien to our own time we can't ever relate to the characters as real people (i also loved the most recent movie adaptation of pride and prejudice for the same reason).

i need to see the ten, if only b/c i'm obsessed with the beautiful winona ryder smile.gif
Jaymi
I just watched The Lives of Others and it was fantastic! I definitely recommend it.

I also liked Marie Antoinette - I loved it for the same reasons, snow white, that it was fresh feeling. I felt like I could more easily relate to the characters and what her life was like. I think Coppola did a great job.

Crazyoldcatlady - I'm cracking up about your reaction to Bound. It's so hard to find a quality lesbian flick - most are terrible! and I thought that one was going to be pretty bad. But it did turn out to be good!! i think because the emphasis wasn't necessarily on "oh, I'm gay, however will I deal with it" but more on an actual plot!! Another great lesbian flick that I love (though some of my friends disagree) is When Night Is Falling.
ginger_kitty
I have been wanting to see, Year of the Dog, since I saw a preview quite awhile ago, so I rented it. And it was so disappointing!! It had a lot of potential, but didn't quite work. The ending was just dreadful. So let down...
anarch
Funny you have a filmic parallel in the US in Mamet and his wife!

interesting! Of Mamet's stuff I've only seen The Spanish Prisoner and The Winslow Boy. I enjoyed The Winslow Boy very much, but more, come to think of it, for Jeremy Northam and the dialogue than for Rebecca Pidgeon's acting. Or do you mean Mamet's ex, Lindsey Crouse?

Saw Pan's Labyrinth last week. All the way through I kept wondering when they were going to introduce sexual themes, and then after, I read in the imdb that they changed the title from Labyrinth of the Faun for the American release, because of worries that "fawn/faun" was confusing. Great movie though.
chachaheels
Girl Trouble named Lindsey Crouse and Mamet in her comment on Arsinee Khanjian and Atom Egoyan. Mamet's remarried?

Now I'm confused....Pan is supposed to be the sexiest of the sexual fauns. And yet I don't really remember much sexuality in the story either. Bah.
girltrouble
sigh cha... i do so adore you. i owe you a pm. i owe you a long one and my puter ate it. but yes, i too was disappointed that pan wasn't having baccanals, humping trees, and drinking like a camel. what a rip off!

but yeah, mamet, simply cannot resist casting his wife in movies, he long ago divorced lindsey "more stiff than a manequin" crouse, in favor of the much younger, only slightly more pliable, rebecca "listen! upward inflection is fun!" pidgeon.... but i kid, she is easily 25% better at emoting than her predesessor....

wow... i am feeling super catty today....
tallasacornstalk
My friend and I accidentally (a long story) saw 3:10 to Yuma. I thought it might be bad, but I'd at least have Russell Crowe to ogle for a couple of hours.

Ummmmm....then I saw Russell Crowe. Or at least they say it was Russell Crowe. It might have been Russell Crowe doing his best "Boxcar Willie" impersonation.

What happened to Russell in the 10 years it's been since I last saw a Russell Crowe movie??? As if I didn't feel old enough just celebrating my 34th birthday a few months ago, I now feel like my mom must have felt in the 80s still swooning over Tom Jones.

anarch
Girl Trouble named Lindsey Crouse and Mamet in her comment on Arsinee Khanjian and Atom Egoyan.

Thanks for the correction, chacha. I did read that but by the time I got aruond to posting I'd forgotten, girltrouble, that you were the source of that connection. Apologies to you both.

she is easily 25% better at emoting than her predesessor....

lol

Almost finished The Painted Veil. I never noticed Edward Norton much before but he's wonderfully cutting in this. Gorgeous scenery & love story too.
chachaheels
I keep wanting to rent The Painted Veil...but the story itself is alienating me right now.

I've adored Ed Norton since Fight Club. He's such an "under the radar" kind of actor. He's very private. And because of that he seems to suck all the limelight away from everyone else who's tapdancing faster than God trying to get attention.

Listen! Upward inflection is fun!
GT, there's not a minute of my life I've spent desiring children...but I know I would want to have yours.
Just sayin'.
dolor
Tea Gal! ... of that late August moooooon,

You are SUCH a sweetheart....! "What have I done to deserve this??" To be the object of your LDC-- long distance crush! You set my head & heart a-spinning! Again...

As for my low profile these days,
It's not so much the SO bit but all kinds of stuff that has appeared on my horizon, and kinda eclipsed my filmic adventurings. I'm not watching that much... and nothing real special has sailed in. Nothing has pulled my Chatty Kathy string. Since "soy cuba," that is.

Right now I'm about to watch "Days of Glory" about North Africans in WWII, and "Lives of Others" the German thriller that picked up a recent Acad Award. Seen it? And I've begun the 1938 Marie Antoinette with Norma Shearer.

And then I'm also kinda more dolor again, but now this takes the wind out of my sails a bit. It's also part of why you don't find me here. The seasons are turning, summer is departing... and I just don't like it. I do love fall colors, but going into the November Tunnel can get kinda scary for your Dolor. I'm talking about "Seasonal Affective Disorder" i.e. winter blues. So these current cool and cloudy days can suck out all my spirits sometimes... You're in Seatlle, yes, so cool and cloudy may be mother's milk for you?

Now, do you recall when I was pushing the Time Out Film Guide? It's an encyclopedia, a great resource, something to consult. It's very good on foreign stuff, gets you well out of the USA, and has tons of orientalia, which you might find very useful + fun. You say you don't read, but you would consult such a thing, yes? So the 14th edition, 2006, is being remaindered, and I'd love to ship you a copy, dear GT. (If it's still in stock.) You want? If so, I'll give you an email and you can zap me your postal address.

a presto,
moi
girltrouble
sigh... it's the two-great-loves-of-my-life-that-i-just-so-happened-to-have-never-met, dreamy dolor, and charming cha!

i swear, it's been years since i've had such a wonderous wed-ness-day since my 5th birthday, when my slumber party got snowed in and school got canceled. (did i mention my birthday is in may?)

if i didn't know better i'd say that this is my xmas in july, if this was july. but surely i've never gotten such a sweet gift!

ok, enough of my bluster, i would be delighted to experience this film guide that you'd recommend, dolor. you do know i have designated you my filmic spirit guide, don't you? i will pm you my info forthwith!

as for grey skies being mother's milk for me, far, far from it. i get a horrible, nigh tragic case of the SADs every winter. and the grey here has nearly killed me quite i few times since i moved here. (it's a malicious little imp that likes to lurk around the corners of your vision around these parts, seeping into your windows and squeezing under your doors.) people seem to think seattle is constantly rainy, it's not, it's just the winters are days of grey. the rain, at least is romantic. grey is just dreary. but i know what you mean. i have a love/hate relationship with winter and fall too.

i must admit, when you said days of glory, i thought you meant days of thunder, the craptacular nascar epic staring tom "10 year beard" cruise, and i about lost it. for a brief second, i began to panic. what has become of my dolor? screamed my brain. luckily you quickly put me at ease. my dolor never fails....you are one of the few people who routinely mentions movies that, not only would i want to see, but i have never heard of. dolor, my love...... you, you are pure majic!

i am suddenly hypnotized by the idea of marie antoinette played my norma shearer... i adored her (and everyone else) in the women...

cha has been trying to teach me a tiny smidgen of italian, and even with only two words under my belt, i seem to have insulted not just native speakers, but even people who have no more contact with the country than to have flown over it. but all the same i would like to try just this once:

bacioni, dolor! bacioni!

oh cha, my sister in "N!" i am not sure you remember back when i was butta back in the busty olden days, but you bring out the baby butta in me, and i would be more than happy to have a cool dozen of your rugrats! wink.gif you are nothing short of an absolute marvel to me! XOXO!
anna k
I watched Lords of Dogtown on TV. It was pretty lame, and I saw that a cheesy in-joke was added where Tony Hawk plays an astronaut who tries to get on a skateboard, and immediately slips.
girltrouble
oh yeah, that movie seriously blows. i couldn't watch it. the documentary it was made from, however, dogtown and z boys, is amazing. great music, fantastic editing, sean penn narrates. it's brilliant. it absolutely changed how i skated (now it's less upright and much more like surfing), and rocked my world. i went to see it at a press screening where stacy peralta attended. he was super cool. he talked then (before d&z-b's release) about how studios wanted the rights to make a bio pic based on it. too bad it sucked. the lords of dogtown is like the reader's digest version-- but worse.
dolor
Hi there T-gal,

Not much chattin', I'm feeling too blue... but I'm just popping in to say that I mailed off your order today. It's coming from CT, but they're fast, so you might get it in about 10 days. I also added a copy of James Harvey's "Movie Love in the 50's" Now I don't know if this falls into your "don't read" hole, but it's fine, and you can just dip into it, as you see fit. Very good on Sirk. Also good on how those 50's bland blondes came along, Doris Day & co-- along with 50's sexy moody broody bad boys: Clift, Brando, Dean.

Now watching "Days of Glory..." Not at all right for my broody-mood but it's the only thing in the house. Desperation! What I really should be watching is "In the Mood for Love" &/or 2046! Over a nice bowl of noodles. ...With you!

--ta ta fer na,
D-Gal

PS Yea, I dug Dogtown, the doc. And also enjoyed his other doc about surfin' the big ones. Twas Both stoked... and tubed!
PPS Like your new sexy top and big-do... but is that a blade you're waving?
-- Whoa it just switched on me!
Are we communicating in Real Time??
girltrouble
sorry you're feeling blue, dear d. i got a bad case of the sads too a few days ago. how odd, that my favorite seasons wreak such havoc. i guess i like them more than they like me. hmph. story of my life.

i am so looking forward to your books. if there is one thing that never falls into my "don't read" hole, it's film books. i often say that i don't read, as if it were some sort of hipster pose, but as i've said, if it isn't a subtitle beneath letterbox pictures, then i go simple. i can't make heads or tails of the little dashes and squiggles that make up our language. i do look in envy at people who binge on books only to purge them on friends. i miss the days when i could not sleep without having read a chapter of something or other. but film books, well i feel like a kid with film books. coffee table books moronic pablum or even heavy theory become spellbindingly compelling to me.

i was going to say i wish that i knew what kind of movies cheer you, but it looks like the same ones that cheer me. itmfl/2046... i'm sure you have seen the early wong kar-wei, what haven't you seen?

as for my avi....shhhhhhh! that's a secret!

muy kisses...
eau de trouble.
anarch
A couple days ago, I had to turn Climates off after an hour. It was recommended on another board and hey it won a prize at Cannes so I took it out with high hopes, but aargh. Very unusual for me not to finish watching a film ("Dammit I've already invested this much time into it! Maybe it'll get better!") but I really couldn't stand it.

After reading a few reviews I have to acknowledge that the visual and sound composition were gorgeously done, but I guess I just couldn't stand the male protagonist. I'm so freaking tired of stories of middle-aged men having existential crises and being assholes to their women, being hailed as Great Art.
chachaheels
I hear you, anarch. I don't blame you for turning off the movie early, and I encourage you to cultivate the option whenever it fits the situation. After all, life's too short, and apologies for male characters like that don't make the world any better.

I have to run a whole slew of DVD's back to the store...but I finally saw Shortbus, and on anarch's recommendation, The Painted Veil (because I cannot resist a good Somerset Maugham story). I think I liked that movie for seriously irrelevant reasons and there was a certain amount of hatred I felt for Ed's character. S. Maugham's got a lot of male characters like that in his books and they all sort of poke at my tolerance (as I'm sure he intended them to do for all his readers). I thought Ed definitely "got" the humanity that was written into his character.

And Naomi, of course, was very very good too.

I was surprised there wasn't more music in Shortbus, but I am amazed by how gracefully and respectfully the entire topic was handled. Nothing cheap about it. David Allen Cameron sure does love Sook Yin Lee, though. M. ChaCha was entirely enthused by the fact that she was not in any way musical in that picture.

dolor
Cara Cha-Cha,

Since I do believe that you picked up on my mention of Proust, way back then, in connection with Plots in Drag, I can recommend "Time Regained" (2000), directed by Raul Ruiz. (Whom I'm sorry to say I'm only learning about now.) It's been 20+ years (!) since I read _In Search of Lost Time_ so I've forgotten most of the plot details... but the whole movie is sumptuous, dreamy, very nicely executed, and I hope you can find it. (It's at Netfix.)

Great cast, including both La Deneuve and Chiara Mastroanni, who I supposed is the 'Love child" she had with Marcello.

Also, another one I'd like to suggest to you is _Read my Lips_ a recent French affair which speaks to the empowerment of a woman, and offers a nice compound of thriller and romance.

Next up for me is "the Great St Louis Bank Robbery," a b&w caper from the late 50's, which I hope will offer some nice st. Missouri mise-en-scene. Also, early Steve McQ, tho he's not really my cuppa.

But first, it's time to get out of the house, and go have a stroll. It is the last day of summer, so enjoy it!

ta-ta. yr D-gal
dolor
Ciao T-Gal,

Has your party-pak sailed in? It should be arriving pronto.

At the top of my Wong K-W is his third of the compilation, "Eros" Have you seen it?

Meanwhile, the double sound track of "In the mood" and 2046 seems to have gotten a whole bunch more expensive, at Amazon. How annoying. I need to see both of these, again.

reggae and out,
dolorolosa

PS That tip for "Read my lips" goes to you too.
bunnyb
I went to see Death Proof last night (released here later and separately) and thought it was amazing. I read back through archives and GT you were right: it is SO a feminist movie and a kick ass one at that! I was majorly impressed.
chachaheels
Dolorissima!

Can't thank you enough for the recommendations. I don't have NetFlix here in CDA, but I will harass the local big box DVD setup who aggressively worked to close down my favourite mom/pop/kids DVD store here in my little town, and I will have them source and deliver both Time Regained and Read My Lips. I've actually heard of the first film, and remember reading about Catherine Deneuve and Chiara Mastroianni as part of its cast.

(you know...I met Mastroianni when I was 13. I was on a family trip to Italy, and for some inexplicable reason, we were staying in the Excelsior Hotel in Torino while we visited my uncle and cousins in that city. We were waiting in the hotel's foyer for a cab, because there was a huge downpour outside. Mastroianni was waiting for his ride, too, pacing back and forth in the small glass enclosed room we were in as the rain came down. I remember he smiled at us, made a comment about the rain to me and my brother in English, because I'm sure we were being our loud and impatient selves, and just sort of waited along with us (our taxi came first). He seemed tiny, in a perfect slate grey suit and polished brown shoes, hair just starting to grey. I remember my brother and I were maybe an inch or two shorter than he was, and we were just starting to adolesce! But he was very handsome and beautifully dressed, and seemed comfortable and at ease even around what appeared to be an impatient "American" family with two bratty kids. We had no idea who he was but my parents were thrilled).

Steve McQ is becoming so popular again. I just saw him in the original Thomas Crowne Affair, with Faye Dunaway (oh, that chess game seduction scene must have been replicated a million times in honour of Dunaway). When you put him beside the modern "Macho", he's a little wiry, isn't he? But his macho was all securely between his ears.

GirlTrouble, your Italian is flawless. Your offended pals are just jealous.

Tanti baci to you both!!
faerietails2
I was extremely bored and watched The World According to Garp yesterday. GOD, it's stupid. And the whole time I couldn't stop thinking, "WTF are you trying to say about feminists???"

I also finally saw North by Northwest yesterday (I can't believe I BARELY got around to seeing it). Awesome mis-en-scene, but as for that dialogue...UGH! "I'm a big girl, you know." "Yes, and in all the right places." I was like...could they even SAY that back then?! lol

Meanwhile, in film geek literature news...I finally bought Feminist Auteurs: Reading Women's Films and I can't wait to start it. I've already spotted a bunch of films I must add to my Netflix just from flipping through it.
anna k
I loved Read My Lips. I thought it was such a great little movie.
ginger_kitty
I checked out The Brave One, last week and really liked it. Jodie Foster was amazing. She gave the role a lot of depth and played a really intriguing character dealing with an overwhelming situation.
girltrouble
hey chacha! did you get my last private message to you? it's the one about shoes....(and yes, i'm still blaming you!)

and oh, my yes, goddess dolor, i got the books yesterday, and i am more in love with you than i thought possible. that time out guide is amazing. i always look up obscure movies to judge the measure of film guides, and let me just say, i came away very, very, very impressed. and doubly so with the movie love book. it's premise of the 30's & 40's strong femme fatale morphing into the ultra femme ala monroe into the pretty boys like mongomery clift, well that's just....SUBLIME!

as are you. thank you so very much.
gt
anna k
I enjoyed Into The Wild. It was faithful to the book and I thought that Emile Hirsch resembled my brother, being thin and scruffy-looking. I didn't recognize Zach Galifanakis, he looked a lot older.
faerietails2
ahhhhh! i want to see into the wild! definitely this weekend.

i saw evening this morning (heh). it was like a stupid version of the notebook but with no point.

i also saw dear wendy yesterday. it was alright, i guess. i'm a von trier fan (he wrote it), but in all honesty the bonus-material interview with him and the director was way more fascinating than the movie.
chachaheels
GirlTrouble, I have my doubts about this private messaging program. I have been missing your messages for days now. Did you get my last one? It was ages ago! I never heard back and my own computer is nearing its death...so I haven't been able to write back. M. ChaCha has graciously allowed me the use of his nifty laptop (there was a time when I was his laptop....sigh) but I just can't be as open as I wish to be on it.

I have seen those shoes though, honey. They are delicious. I would have advised you to buy the mary janes and the bottines...of the 3 different styles. Today I pulled out a nice pair of slightly platformed, tall and thick heeled black pumps with a brogue like perforated menswear leather detail because they reminded me so of your favourite shoes, and I wore them with a navy pinstriped pencil skirt. Very 1930's gun moll. Or even the 1940's gun moll that was part of the spoof Cyd Caesar show in the movie My Favourite Year.

Let's try and write to each other again...PM me!
girltrouble
or bonnie n clyde....

my favorite year.... god i love peter o'toole. the stuntman... good movies, although i still haven't seen the movie my friend calls "larry the arab."
i know i know, i should but i think i am waiting to see it on as big a screen as is possible. if it's on tv i turn the channel. i've only seen about a minute of it all total.... some day...

i'll pm you over the weekend. my phone is acting super funky as is my puter. but this weekend things will be better...
chachaheels
Ooooh, the Bonnie and Clyde reference: that's some luxurious flattery there. I'm taking that as a compliment.
chachaheels
i saw evening this morning (heh). it was like a stupid version of the notebook but with no point.

Ha! That is THE bad review of the year.
anarch
Saw the documentaries Jesus Camp and Southern Comfort. Both great. Jesus Camp made me & Mr A think about having kids in self defense. Southern Comfort made us cuddle together and thank cod we have each other. And made us cry too.

The Science of Sleep was....hmmm. Enjoyed the wackiness during the first half, but in the second half I can't say I could root for the guy getting the girl. He struck me as sweet, but waaay too unstable. I much prefer Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind.

Chacha, you're absolutely right that I should get into the habit of turning movies off if they're really not doing anything for me. I do it with toxic people, after all. Life's too short.
girltrouble
QUOTE(chachaheels @ Sep 28 2007, 04:06 AM) *
Ooooh, the Bonnie and Clyde reference: that's some luxurious flattery there. I'm taking that as a compliment.
oh cha, i can do naught but complement you! silly, i adore you! i am guessing you didn't get my pm... grrrr! i'll send you my emails. hopefully that will get thru...

and anarch, southern comfort is heart breaking... but so my favorite transgender movie ever , and one of my fave docs to boot. it's sooooooooo full of unconditional love. i ended up going to southern comfort years after that movie, and you could still feel the love those two had. and there were some amazing people there that made me rethink my ideas of gender. and i thought i had it pretty much figured out... (lol... lord knows i put my time in... wink.gif )
chachaheels
Oh oh.

I got your PM, girltrouble. But this can only mean you didn't get my response PM. It was an epic crammed with references to lusty but morose Celts. I knew I was in trouble when I tried to "save" a copy of the message I was sending as I sent it, and then the damned board signed me out and I had to sign in again and I did and thought I'd sent the letter...

and so now we're faced with the crying shame that is technology, and not much more. I will write again today.

girltrouble
i got it, i just wasn't notified. i had negative messages, but 3 new ones when i went and checked...argh!

lovely letter, you are just stellar, chickie, stellar!
i'll pm you in a bit, i have to do some painting...
anarch
and there were some amazing people there that made me rethink my ideas of gender.

care to share? If not, no biggie. I only ask because I've learned quite a bit from you, and I'm interested in your own path.

I'm an hour into Love Actually. It seems to be a nice, predictable, Christmas-themed romantic comedy. My husband the sap is loving all the opportunities to weep at lovey-dovey moments.
girltrouble
the person i remember most was a kid there who was in jr. high who had transioned, (f2m) and i never would have thought that someone so young should transition, even though i knew my path before elementary school ended. he was there with his mom, and his therapist, and they did a presentation that he was one of the most articulate people i've ever heard talk about gender. he was a riot too. a perfect angel in front of his mom, but on his own, he was a smart ass-- a boy if there was one, a dirty philly accent, and a terrific smirk to match his razor sharp wit.

i wish i had his courage, where-with-all and support when i was that age.

ps, anarch, thanks for the note. much appreciated.
anna k
I watched Out of the Blue, this 1980 film starring Dennis Hopper as a convicted trucker and his tomboy punk teenage daughter. It was dark and sleazy and creepy, but a good little movie.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.