Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Reel Life: The Movie Thread
The BUST Lounge > Forums > Media Whores
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51
LoveMyPugs
There are so many movies I watch once and really dislike then I practically force myself to watch them again and they turn out to be favorites.

Examples:

The Cell (I confess I was a little drunk first time I watched this which is probably why I didn't like it the first time)
Shaun of the Dead
The Secretary (I was young and not nearly as sexually aware as I am now)
Cable Guy
Pulp Fiction
Schindler's List (I was too young to understand this the first time I watched it.)
Donnie Darko (Confused the hell out of me first time around)
Heat (Saw this in theater with friends who were more interested in getting up every 5 mintues to go smoke)

Those are just a few I picked off the IMDB top 250 list that the first time I saw them I hated them but then watched them a second time and really liked them.

Maybe I need to give NCFOM another try. I'm not giving Revolver another try. That movie just sucked IMO.
crazyoldcatlady
see, i think you just gotta be in the right mindframe for revolver. i was open for a good mindfuck and i think it delivered.

watched capote over the weekend. meh. it killed the book for me, knowing too much about truman capote's process, real or exaggerated.

on deck: the n9nes with ryan reynolds. yum.
fuzzz_brain
I just recently watched There Will Be Blood.

General conclusion? Daniel Day-Lewis is awesome/crazy.

I'VE ABANDONED MY BOY!

The score was really what made the whole thing for me. A background noise of a chugging train while the characters serenely amble through the countryside on horses is weird and wonderful.
chachaheels
I still haven't seen There Will Be Blood and I'm not sure why, as Daniel Day Lewis is just such a good actor in everything he's done. Throw in the whole shoe thing and he's like a perfect man...so what am I doing, not watching his films?

Tess Harper--yes. And that wrap up scene in the kitchen--a Coen filmic staple, like Hi McDonough and Edwina and the dream which ends that movie--the childless couple aging together, their children and their children's children all gathered around them (strange, too, that the Ellis character--the same actor who played Nathan Arizona in Raising Arizona, gives Tommy Lee Jones counsel about the violence, the reality of his life and work...just as he does in the Nathan Arizona role, telling Hi and Ed about the importance of their love for each other).

Or the last scene in Fargo, where Marge Gunderson tucks herself into bed, pregnant and successful; and she and her husband discuss the sale of his mallard duck painting to the Post Office, to be used on the 2 cent stamp--they prepare to go off into a future with so much hope;

Or even O Brother Where Art Thou, where the odyssey ends just as it does when Homer tells it, with the couple re-united, trust restored, the world restored to order.

Not one of the films above are any less violent than No Country--and they are structured so similarly too. I love the fact that the film's location in time and place are so vital to the thrust of the story--but the story itself is universal enough that it could take place at any time (time immemorial, what Homer talks about, a journey so old no one knows when it started so we always tell it as if we were in the middle of it, right now). Makes me believe that everyone in each of these stories is as fated and as haunted as anyone else: that Anton Chigurh is as irrevocably trapped in his role (he can't even die his way out of it) as each of his victims.

I love Tess Harper's appearance at the end of the film, the fact that she does remind you visually of Tender Mercies, whether it's intended or not. Especially that she isn't present until then, that this aspect of the Sheriff's life is altogether unconsidered until after he retires. She's the only speck of hope in the whole story.
dolor
It's a remarkable coincidence that There will be Blood and No Country, the two best movies of 2007 (by general consent), were both shot in.... Marfa TX!

I'm now hoping to see TWBB ASAP.

["There will be blood" is also the title of the current protracted battle for the Democratic nomination. Alas!]
chachaheels
Well, it's clear Marfa's seen a lot of interesting leading man action over the last couple of years, then, isn't it?

I'm taking myself out to the video store right now for There Will Be Blood. That does it. It's rainy and chilly, my hubby's away on bidness (we are talking about Texas after all) and I want to be warm and quietly entertained (or appalled, shocked, mystified, however the case may be) by Daniel Day Lewis.

faerietails2
QUOTE(chachaheels @ May 2 2008, 02:51 PM) *
I'm taking myself out to the video store right now for There Will Be Blood.

Good choice. I lurves me some Daniel Day-Lewis. smile.gif

TWBB honestly became one of my fave movies of all time on the day I first watched it. I just think it's a masterpiece (and I agree about the score...that's one of my favorite aspects of this movie).

I rented Harsh Times from the library...I just know it's gonna suck. I also got Breach and Once, which are also probably gonna suck. Oh well.

I saw The Orphanage a couple of days ago, and while I thought it was well made and creepy, the ending just pissed me off. I won't go into details, but I will say that I hate how motherhood themes usually play out in horror films.
dolor
"Well, it's clear Marfa's seen a lot of interesting leading man action over the last couple of years, then, isn't it?"

And then... I just confirmed that Giant (1956) was also shot in the Marfa area. Big Country... So we can include James Dean & Rock Hudson in that package. Well if we make it "the last 55 years." Hey, and also Denis Hopper and Sal Mineo. It's my next flic from Netflix.

Hmmmmmmmm,
Is it a coincidence that JD & DH & SM were also all in Rebel w/o a Cause? Were they cast as a trio? Outreach to youth?
LoveMyPugs
Has anyone seen Charlie Wilson's War?
girltrouble
oh cha, you've got me swooning with your reading of no country... it kinda makes me want to see blood simple again-- it's probably going to be the film of theirs that's closest to no country. i'd be curious to see how you'd compare the big lebowski. it's got a very specific time and place too... i think lebowski is underrated. it's such a goofy little gem, even for the coens....
sybarite
I still haven't seen No Country for Old Men.

I thought that There Will Be Blood would have been flawless except for the twenty minutes at the end. I felt the director just wanted to squeeze out one more performative moment from Day-Lewis, when his performance throughout was stunning. The last scene seemed like overkill. I like Day-Lewis in his quieter moments: when he's with his brother and a realisation hits, you see this minute shift in his eyes. Fantastic.

GT, I agree the Coens have a great, tangible feel for location. That's part of what blew me away about Raising Arizona, the first film of theirs I saw. Lebowski showed this seedy but oddly cosy little californian world, complete with bowling alley and random rented apartments, and then the cliff at the end. The Big Lebowski is like Amsterdam: celebrated for all the wrong reasons. I love Jeff Bridges in anything and his voice and delivery was perfect in it.

Pugs, I have: Philip Seymour Hoffman is probably the best thing in it.
roseviolet
I have not seen There Will Be Blood. Nor have I seen No Country for Old Men. I just got the feeling that they might be too much for me lately. I mean, I saw Atonement the other day and cried my eyes out, so I think the other two movies would reach in and shake me up a bit too much. Especially Daniel Day Lewis. He's too good for me to stay unaffected by him.

Faerietails, I really liked Once. It's a nice, quiet little film. Accept it for what it is and you'll enjoy it. Note that I may have liked Once more than some others because it reminded me a lot of my childhood (my mom is a song writer). None of my friends have seen it yet so I can't ask them for comparisons.
vixen_within
I'm thinking of going to see that Harold and Kumar movie...is it bullshit?

girltrouble
just saw the iron mans. soooo fun! i actually like the gwenith, who i usually loathe. there is a secret scene after the credits, in which sam jackson is introduced as nick fury of shield (um.....fuck yeah!!!) who drops the idea of 'the avengers project' (um... 40xfuck yeah!!!!)which, if you aren't into the whole marvel world/mythology will mean nothing, and isn't worth the wait, but if you are, well it's just enough to make you very, very excited. i'm assuming there will be something about the above spoiler in the new hulk movie, and eventually the iron man sequel.

as for harold n kumar, i dunno, i loved the first one, and i am looking forward to getting stoned and seeing this one....
LoveMyPugs
QUOTE(sybarite @ May 3 2008, 10:52 AM) *
I still haven't seen No Country for Old Men.
Pugs, I have: Philip Seymour Hoffman is probably the best thing in it.

sybarite - yes he was fantastic. his whole scene in the office where he tells his boss to go fuck himself then breaks the window was the best. makes me wish I could go back to the bank and tell them the same.
chachaheels
I saw The Big Lebowski when I was living with a roommate who dressed, looked like, and acted like the Jeff Bridges character. Complete with the cheque writing for, like, sixty two cents.

I have had some bad years, it's true.

Anyway, the essence of that film is John Turturro's character, in the stretchy purple uniform and his intimidating ball-prep tactics in the bowling alley. I must give that movie another look, too. Maybe it's time to start the Coen Film Festival. God, do you remember Albert Finney, Gabriel and Marsha Gay Harden in Miller's Crossing?

Dolor: I had no idea Giant was filmed in Marfa. Wow. I secretly love that movie because of everyone's youthful good looks (and the mesquite barbecue scene, during which everyone wants a barf bag). It's amazing that Sal, Jimmy, Rock, Dennis, et al were together and made several movies together...but not really. As someone I know loves to say, when referring to "secret" sexual subtext in Hollywood films from particular eras and Coronation Street, in general: "Code!"

(could someone please explain Splendour in the Grass to me now? Please?)

I can't stand it: Daniel Day Lewis is in his early 50's.
girltrouble
i certainly can't. i'm not the biggest fan of elia kazan because of his whole thing with the black list. on the waterfront yes, spendor, no. but then i'm not a fan of natalie "block of" wood either. she was only barely ok in west side story. and otherwise great film.

dunno, ch, the festival sounds like a great idea. i think the dark side of the coens is under examined. think of barton fink....

god i miss miller's crossing....

so what did you think of jennifer jason leigh's performance in hudsucker proxy?
chachaheels
I thought about Barton Fink when I was trying to "sum it all up" about NCFOM, too. As for the Hudsucker Proxy, I saw that when it came out with a man who was so irritated by JJL's performance he hasn't seen another Coen Bros. film since. But, you know...she did an exceptionally good impersonation of Katherine Hepburn's grating, Central-Park-Swiss-boarding-school-pseudo -english-only-spoken-in-Hollywood shtick. I haven't revisited that film entirely since I first saw it, but that stuck with me clearly. I must go and find it and see it again, I think.

As for the Coen's and "dark", heck, I thought "dark" is what they're all about! But they make us laugh about it, and not in a way that makes you self-conscious about that laughter either. I have a friend who's just beginning to explore film, just purchased a membership card at his local video store (first time ever, and he's in his forties). He hasn't got a huge film memory to draw from, but I'm going to get him to take a (comparatively) unbiased and fresh look at some of the Coen movies, starting with Miller's Crossing and Raising Arizona (from which my husband still quotes liberally. Someone mentioned once that that's a man thing to do: quote from favourite films. Do you agree?).
girltrouble
i know i am in the minority for loving jjl's bryn mawr accent, but then the first movie i was obsessed with was his girl friday, with rosilind russell's hildy whose rapid fire dialog is exactly like hudsucker (it's resemblance is uncanny-- down to some of the characters). and later all of the hepburn/grant screwball comedies.

as for quoting films being masculine or feminine, i think it is a pastime of geeks, no matter the gender. i still get annoyed by anyone quoting rocky horror or monty python. it makes me violent. (highschool post traumatic geek syndrome)
roseviolet
I freakin' loved Hudsucky Proxy. It's one of my favorite movies. It simultaneously makes fun of and honors those Kapra films of the '50s - especially Mr. Deeds Goes To Town. JJL's take on the Jean Arthur-type character was marvelous because she understood the little quirks that made that stereotypical-tough-gal character so great, but she didn't push it too far. It was marvelously cheesy, but it had a heart. I found it aesthetically pleasing, too (costumes, lighting, etc.). Love love love it.
chachaheels
The aesthetic in all Coen films is always note-perfect, but yes, you're right, in some of their movies it's far more pleasing than in others. I remember how beautiful Hudsucker Proxy was too, the costumes and architectural shots especially, they were definitely bent on recreating the specific feel and appearance of that whole Hollywood era. Same with Miller's Crossing, O Brother, and even Raising Arizona (Ed's spotless, meticulously neat appearance, uniform perfectly pressed, even when convulsing with sorrow and tears at the doctor's office; Hi's "swinger" co-worker and his white, crepe soled loafers and pastel apparel).
vixen_within
QUOTE(girltrouble @ May 4 2008, 07:45 PM) *

as for harold n kumar, i dunno, i loved the first one, and i am looking forward to getting stoned and seeing this one....

I went and saw it. Hilarious.

I also saw Run, Fat Boy Run, which is in keeping with my vow to see ANY movie with Thandie Newton in it. I was all prepared to dislike the main character, and I did, but I still found it all very touching by the end. I shed a tear!
girltrouble
i was all excited to see it since my best friend and i had a standing date to go and see it. but she decided to see it without me, which pisses me off. it's a personal pet peeve. i may have many flaws and foibles, and i can be extremely flakey, but if someone asks me to see a movie i will steadfastly NOT see that movie till i go with the person who i had agreed to see it with. naturally it just pisses me off that she didn't call me or anything, she just went to see it. and when i asked her when we were going to see it she said she already had, but she'd see it again.

*grrrrrr!* f-ing forget it!

/rant

sorry had to get it off my chest...
dolor
Hey Girltrouble,

I just gotta nod along, in regard to both Kazan's moral turpitude,
and Natalie's two-fold Wood-ness....
girltrouble
yeah, i've heard interviews were he tried to justify what he'd done, but he showed his self-centered assyness when he basically dismissed any hardship of people (he caused to be) on a black list.

and yeah, i could never understand casting ms wood in anything. and her performance in splendor in the grass was just painfully painful.
dolor
OK, I have to take a break from all my movie-watching... 'cause I'm just tearing-up over Jenna's wedding!! I'm playing "Celebrate!" by Kool and the Gang non-stop, and drinking malt-liquor out of my special Jenna+Henry mug. Those adorable love-birds just set my heart a-spinnin'.
One more mission accomplished, y'all!!
stargazer
i don't know if this makes me lame. and if it does, then so be it. but, i'm really excited for the new indiana jones movie.
bunnyb
star, you and a hell of a lot of other people! I don't care if it's commercial, summer blockbuster lameness - I have to see it! I'm also incredibly excited about Sex and the City: the Movie biggrin.gif.
faerietails2
QUOTE(girltrouble @ May 10 2008, 12:46 AM) *
she decided to see it without me, which pisses me off. it's a personal pet peeve. i may have many flaws and foibles, and i can be extremely flakey, but if someone asks me to see a movie i will steadfastly NOT see that movie till i go with the person who i had agreed to see it with.

Ohhh, you and me both! I HATE when people do that to me. It's the worst!

Saw Iron Man and loved it. I've been fantasizing about RDJ all this week! heh

I caught Philadelphia on tv the other night. I've seen it a million times, and it never fails to make me cry! I'm such a mush.

Also? Star Trek IV (save the whales edition). God, I love that movie! It's sooooo ridiculous. It's the best. (I own it. lol)
anna k
I liked Forgetting Sarah Marshall. It was funny, though a little long in parts.

I'm interested in seeing The Dark Knight and Batman.
octobersky
QUOTE(faerietails2 @ May 11 2008, 01:40 PM) *
Saw Iron Man and loved it. I've been fantasizing about RDJ all this week! heh

Yeah I finally saw Ironman today - yay seeing movies on a Monday!! Just me and four other peeps. But RDJ was the hotness in the movie. I think because he is just such an unlikely hero, smart and a smart ass that it totally worked for me. I have a lady boner for him....
girltrouble
damnit octosky! why did i not choose the name "lady boner" instead of girl trouble?!?

skull n crossbones avi girls unite!
auralpoison
Is anybody besides me just plain weirded out by CGI? I watched Transformers over the weekend (I refuse to pay Michael Bay $10+, so I waited for tv.) & was gobsmacked. It was so creepy. It was all so real, but fake at the same time.

I wonder if Hollywood will eventually create a new virtual movie star. They'd never age or gain weight. They wouldn't complain, they'd be scandal free. They wouldn't be able to succumb to addiction & would never throw a tub of beans at a stalkerazzi.

ETA, I usualy call it a wettie, but "lady boner" is funny as hell. "Do you think you could visit my lady boner with your peestick?"
roseviolet
Just got back from seeing Iron Man. Octi, you and I must be cut from the same cloth, what with our Monday-movie-love and all. wink.gif I really really enjoyed it! Even more than I thought I would. When we walked out of the theater, I told Sheff that I'm so glad RDjr didn't overdose & kill himself back in the Less Than Zero days. That totally would have sucked. It was good to ee Jeff Bridges on screen again. Feels like forever since I've sen a movie with him in it.

The preview ad for The Incredible Hulk left me scratching my head. Edward Norton? Are you fucking kidding me?!? He's a good actor and all (Fight Club is one of my favorite films of all time), but it still feels wrong. Why aren't they using Eric Bana?
girltrouble
they aren't using eric bana, because the new hulk movie is a "reboot" in the same way that batman begins was. the ang lee hulk movie, from the pov of this new movie never happened. no one from that movie will have anything in this movie.
LoveMyPugs
I'm kind of excited to see the new Star Trek that's coming out in 2009!!
chachaheels
Edward Norton has an uncanny ability to make himself completely believable in anything he does.
He seems unlikely in every part he's ever taken--from the Fight Club role to the older brother he played in American History X to the romantic Holden Spence in Woody Allen's musical, Everyone Says I Love You. The criminal in 25th Hour...
He's so versatile, a shape shifter. And always such an underplayed presence, very subtle, never a caricature, never a grotesque. I'm sure he's the one reason I'd go and see The Hulk.

So I'd wait until I saw him in the film to judge his performance--he seems uniquely capable of playing any role and being perfect in it.

Aural, CGI scares the bejeebers out of me, and it always has. Especially with the effects that can be created on characters' faces with it. I cannot handle it. At the same time, I think it fails as a device because the audience is always aware of when it has been employed. It fails at what it's supposed to do, which is create this seamless fantasy. It can't be seamless if the people using it are doing it so that we say, "ooh! Look at the amazing CGI in this film!"
roseviolet
GT, thanks for clearing that up. I know a lot of people didn't like Ang Lee's take on the Hulk, but I didn't know that they objected to it so strongly that they felt the need to do a "reboot" the franchise so soon. Hasn't is only been 4 or 5 years since that came out? I did a bit of poking about on-line and saw that Edward Norton helped write the script for The Incredible Hulk, too. Has he done that on films before?

ChaChaHeels, I'm not judging his performance yet since I haven't seen it. I just thought it was a strange choice back when I thought this was a sequel to the last Hulk film. Now that I know that they're "rebooting" the franchise, I can understand why they might want to go in a different direction, but you gotta admit ... when you think "Hulk", Edward Norton is not exactly the first name that springs to mind.
chachaheels
Rose, about Ed and the Hulk, I completely understand what you're saying--he seems like such a weird choice. But when I think of every other film he's been in, I think "wow, he's a weird choice in that role" initially. After I see him, though, it's hard for me to imagine anyone else in the role.

It's not a quality you can assign to many other actors. He kind of forces you to see him "out of type".

I am wondering why the "re-boot" after Ang Lee's Hulk, though. I've never been interested in seeing it, but I can definitely see why Ang Lee would want to make that film. Is there such homophobia still, ya think, that they'd want to scrap what he started and try again?
girltrouble
homophobia? i don't think there is anything homophobic about it(unless i'm missing something), it just wasn't what fans wanted. hulk came before brokeback, if i'm not mistaken. but i'm not sure the reboot will be it either. this one is more closely modeled on the tv show (no, thank you) which isn't exactly the same as the comeeks.

as for cgi, i don't care for it. it just never looks good. it's always better when it is only sparingly used, like iron man. you need to use puppets, costumes, and a touch of cgi to blend things, but if it's the center of the piece, well, it's going to suck unless you are in an unreal environment like 300 or the upcoming movie, the spirit (which i am so super looking forward to!!!!). but i can't see any way around cgi hulk.
stargazer
i think edward norton is a wise choice. when you think of the character bruce banner, he was a nerdy professor type. not a hunky eric bana type. now, don't get me wrong, i find edward norton attractive. but, he has this great ability to play sexy nerdy.

and yes, he has dipped his hands into writing or making adjustments to scripts and such. he helped out on frida and had a provocative connection with american history x.
octobersky
Really Ed Norton as the Hulk? Interesting, would never thought of that casting choice. I loved him in Fight Club.

Re seeing Jeff Bridges in Ironman, at first I didn't realize it was him and then when I did all I could think of was "the dude abides!!" Made me want a White Russian.....

But yeah lady boners all around for Robert Downey Jr.!!! You know there will be a sequel for Ironman, they totally left that one open - yay!!!

Ooo also saw an extented preview for the new Batman, wow that looks amazing. I could barely believe that it was Heath Ledger playing the Joker. So very excited to see Batman. Plus Christian Bale is the best Batman since Micheal Keaton. Seriously I thought MK was very hot as Batman, not quite RDJ hot but hot.

Yeah I love the term lady boner, moistie works well too though.....
anna k
I wanted to see Primal Fear until I read a spoiler of the ending. It may have been good in 1996, but the ending today sounds like a Law & Order twist.
gtull1
Edward Norton would be a good choice. Sounds perfect to me!

rolleyes.gif
roseviolet
Homophobia? Why would that be an issue, ChaChaHeels? I don't remember there being a homosexual story within that movie. The actors and the director are not gay. Am I missing something?

Back when Hulk came out a couple of years ago, I know the geeks in my life were not entirely thrilled with it. The tone seemed a little too quiet, if that makes sense. And the whole bouncing/jumping thing was pretty ridiculous. Add to that the weird comic-book-style boxes that were used on the screen in some scenes. It was fairly lackluster overall, I admit, but I certainly didn't think it was so bad that it should be completely trashed and ignored.

Then again, I find it kinda odd that the Batman franchise is tackling the Joker again, but at least it's been almost 20 years since that came out ... not just 5.
chachaheels
I can't say why I feel this for certain, but I've always associated Ang Lee's "vision" as being informed by a queer perspective. In my mind the Broke Back Mountain film was his full-budget take on the way to present the classic "hidden" story of homosexual love (and by extension, any love, really) that must be covered up--particularly the way it is always covered up in our culture's official story of male sexuality--to an American audience. Or to an international film audience that has been greatly influenced by American film and film tradition. We're always hiding the truth about male love, in every "macho" construct, every single one of our cultural icons signifying masculinity. From Ancient Greece and Rome all the way up to Cowboys and Indians, Soldiers and Sailors. Every time the word masculine can be applied we simply ignore or gloss over the reality of homosexuality's existence there, and how that sexuality informs everything we claim to honour about the "male" ideals embodied in those icons.

Comic book heroes (and Science Fiction as a genre, in general) are no exceptions. Think about slash/fanfiction and it's massive popularity: think about who writes it, who reads it (mostly women!) and why that appeal is there.

My introduction to Ang Lee was his film The Wedding Banquet, which features a gay couple where one of the couple "marries" a Chinese girl in order to appease both her parents and his own. It's the way he can keep his male lover, get his parents off his back, and help out his female friend too. Many of his films deal with the treatment of homosexual couples in his own society--and the themes recur in films where the characters may not appear to be outwardly homosexual. Most often they are themes around the cost of repression, the cost of "hiding" one's true nature or need or love; also, by extension, the cost to all of us as a society when we force people to hide, to repress themselves, or to keep themselves from the kind of fulfillment needed by any human being who wishes to become fully "self-actualized".

I think this theme is very clear in the Hulk, a character whose true personhood involves this great strength, great sensitivity, and, as a result of repression, a great, destructive fury. When it's held down, he suffers--it's a punishment: when it's unleashed, there's always hell to pay. I get why Ang Lee would choose the script, it fits what he's about.

I do see him attending award ceremonies with a woman known as his wife, and I've always wondered whether she is his wife like the woman and gay man in the Wedding Banquet--or whether or not he simply sees things around those themes because, let's face it, homosexuality is still a big fat taboo in the world, one we're all aware of and feel even if our own sexuality can't be described in those terms. It doesn't make sense to speculate at all, but I do find that his work is very much like other "queer" directors in that he's focusing on these themes as central to all he does.

Now, if you were to showcase such themes using some specific male icons as cowboys, but focus your story on repressed love, and tell it with extremely effective actors who can elicit identification from viewers, great--you get a successful medium for your message. But if you're making a film that investors see as a vehicle for licensed items (Burger King and Taco Bell were giving out Hulk memorabilia, weren't they?), or a simple popcorn-seller to an audience of children and young men...it might not convey the same themes about repression as effectively. So it would be considered a failure, to be replaced by a slightly less cerebral (less queer!) franchise.
anna k
I watched All That Jazz last night, and really liked it. Roy Schneider was fantastic, and I like seeing late 1970s/early 1980s NYC dancers in their leotards and tanks rehearsing dance moves. I got confused with Joe's relationship to the women in his life. One was his ex-wife, one was his ex-girlfriend, one was his daughter, and there were one or two other women who I was confused with. I also didn't recognize Ann Reinking by face, but thought she was great.

I liked The Wedding Banquet. It had a lot to it, and was an interesting and layered movie.
girltrouble
well, i have only seen the ice storm, brokeback and the hulk of ang lee's films, i like how he deals with repression, and from what i read of an interview from him about why he wanted to do the hulk, that is precisely why he directed it. personally i loved his hulk too, i think that the reboot was probably a matter of ego with EN if i had to guess. but that's just me. i can't really see the queer thing (although i'd love to), and the relationship with jennifer connely seemed pretty straight forward. *shrugs* but it would be fun to read someone fleshing out your theory, cha. that'd be kick ass.

as for all that jazz, i ADORE that movie, but then i love bob fosse. lenny, sweet charity, and all the musicals he choreographed-- well he's just the shit. and ATJ is as close to an autobiography, well, yess prease!

...but i have to admit, i remember being freaked out by it seeing it when i was younger..
LoveMyPugs
Saw We Own The Night last night. I was really touched by the final scene when the brothers say that they love one another. It's been on my mind all day.

that's all... continue
anna k
...but i have to admit, i remember being freaked out by it seeing it when i was younger..

Oh definetly. I was surprised by the "Air-otica" scene. I loved the final performance, with the disco and Broadway mixed together, the absolute joy on Roy Schneider's face, and the scenes where he talks to his star actress while she dances and endulates her skinny body all over, and when he has a normal conversation with his daughter while using her as a dance partner to practice a routine.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.