Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Reel Life: The Movie Thread
The BUST Lounge > Forums > Media Whores
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51
girltrouble
oh god, syb, i was wiggling in my seat when the watchmen trailer came on. that was a fucking great trailer.

NO spoilers in what follows.

as for the dark night, i liked it, but i had some problems with it.

for me dc characters really need to be in that kind of mythic borderland between reality and fantasy. otherwise they don't quite hold up. the bm begins, was a bit stronger because it still stayed in that shadowland, yes, it was a more realistic batman, what with his batmobile, but it was still in an architecturally gothic landscape, and the scarecrow's explanation/psychotropics seemed to add even more unreality to things, think of the shots of batman on the horse, eyes blazing... the batman still inhabited a land of almost eternal darkness, and set against that, he loomed even larger. putting him in a real life chicago even still labeled Gotham, the quintessential Gothic city, batman can't help but look diminished.

if you watch any douglas sirk movies, he does something interesting-- his people are soap opera stock, like comics, usually well off, living in mansions, and they are normally-- in any other film or tv show-- shown in a way that makes them larger than life. but sirk did the exact opposite-- he put them in these mansions, but they seemed swallowed whole by them. they were not, the exact size of life, they were, smaller. the rooms were, like those in orson wells used in kane's san simeon, huge, cavernous, and the people in these cases, flailed, barely treading water. i don't think it was intentional, but i think for me that is what happened in this dark night.

now, i am certainly not saying i didn't enjoy it, but put in this real space, separated from his mythic status, the political questions raised in the film-- terrorism, privacy rights, vigilantism, torture, rendition -- are all the more troubling. granted we are talking about batman, a ubervigilante if there ever was one (eat your heart out bernard getz), but the dark knight tries to have it both ways, it is, (pardon the pun) two-faced, about it. it explicitly seems to be saying it's ok this once, but does things that seem to condone the patriot act. there are comments made that would lead you to believe that the joker is our stand in for bush, but then the vigilante that batman represents is the embodiment of the USA post 9/11.

like my sig used to say, on the whole it could have been crunchier, meatier, like bacon. at least in terms of it's message.

while people talk about how the dark knight is very dark, i can't help but comment about the joker's smile/scar it's actually a reference to a japanese film, ichi the killer you can see the references in ichi's movie poster here. i think i've posted in here about ichi before, and i never take moralistic stands on films (political stands, yes, moral stands, never), but ichi is the exception. it is by far the most brutal, depraved, fucked up, sadistic movie i hope to never see again. it's not the direction, i've seen and liked quite a few of takashi miike's films. this, was a whole 'nother kettle of fish.
girltrouble
so, i know nobody replies to these questions when i ask, but i do so love talking about film (and i seem to be on a writing tear). i was talking with one of my favorite film folks about jack nicholson films, (spurred on by a coffee shop quiz), and we started talking about our fave jn films. so i'm curious which films busties like.

my all time fave is the last detail, his chinatown.

and if i haven't recommended the pledge (in a year or two), i still love it. it's a close to the bone, play-it-straight neo-noir. it does what all great noir films do. there is a scene in noir films where there is almost an 'unreality' to them, where they come unglued from the normal. in the pledge it is when nicholson goes into a turkey farm. there is this great shot where he is talking to someone in a sea of turkeys walking around. i don't know if it translates to the small screen, but in the theatre there was a palpable feeling of vertigo. as if there was no solid place for these people to stand, and the world around them shifted. a great visual metaphor for all that goes on in the film. oh, and ps, it was directed by the fantastic sean penn.
pinkpoodle
Good topic, girltrouble!!

As far as Jack Nicholson, my faves are One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest and The Shining. I also like About Schmidt.

Some of my faves in general (no particular order):
-Pillow Talk (or any other Rock Hudson/Doris Day movie)
-Harold & Maude
-Edward Scissorhands
-Seven Year Itch
-Double Indemnity

and...of course...Dirty Dancing, 'cause I saw it on cable yesterday and it still makes me wanna squee after all these years!! SQUEEEE!!!

ETA- Oh, and GT, I love old film noir stuff. I mentioned Double Indemnity above (with Barbara Stanwyck) and another fave is Gilda with Rita Hayworth. Love that movie!!
anna k
I rented The Salton Sea, but turned it off halfway. It was just too boring.

The Pledge sounds good. I liked About Schmidt and Cuckoo's Nest as well.

The Dark Knight: Did anyone else laugh when the cop said during the chase scene, "I didn't sign up for this!"

It was long, and there was a part that dragged sometime in the second hour, but it picked up again.

The Joker combing his hair back with a knife while trying to impress Rachel was a nice touch.

The movie belonged to Aaron Ekhart and Heath Ledger, for both delivering excellent, layered performances.
jsmith
QUOTE(candycane_girl)
Was anyone else majorly impressed with how they made Two Face look? Everyone else seemed horrified but I was just like "Awesome!!"

Lol. A lot of people in the theater gasped when they saw his face. As someone who just got through with an anatomy course, I looked and mentally named off the exposed muscles. I thought it was neat how they made him look, but I kept thinking things like "With a burn like that, he wouldn't have walked out of the hospital. Infection!" and "if half his lips are gone, he wouldn't be forming his words properly."

Some of the lines in there were so hilarious:
Joker: "I'm gonna make this pencil disappear!" [Slam]
Mob guy: "You think you can come in here, steal our money, and walk away?" Joker: "Yeah.."

Has anyone read Watchmen? I was impressed with the trailer. But that may have been because of the music ("The Beginning is the End is the Beginning") and the particular clips that were shown. The guy with the blotted mask in particular grabbed my attention.
candycane_girl
jsmith, I loved pretty much every scene with the Joker. He was so dark and psychopathic but he had a lot of funny lines as well. I also must admit that the viral marketing campaign for The Dark Knight was really impressive. I can't remember the last time I saw a campaign that got people so excited for a movie.

GT, I loved Jack Nicholson in One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest.
chachaheels
I never realized this until I thought about it today, but I've made a tradition of seeing the Batman films in the theatre, usually when first released. I'm going to be going a little later than usual with this one, but I'm definitely going because I think Aaron Eckert's performances in everything are always top notch. The Nicholson Joker was a man of his time! I think that the first mega-buck franchise of Batman was of the late 80's and that has to have an impact on the way the characters will reflect the time, including the bad characters. As dated as the film seems to be now, I still love it for all its visual references to the other films with morally questionable "heroes", like Citizen Kane and Vertigo.

I also love Jack Nicholson in Chinatown (I can see that film millions of times, I love the way it looks), About Schmidt actually left me in tears, and Antonioni's The Passenger made me realize just how talented Nicholson is (because before that I thought he was overrated).
faerietails
some of my all-time faves:
moulin rouge
there will be blood
talk to her
(and anything else by almodovar, really. he's one of my fave directors.)
the edukators
breaking the waves

speaking of von trier...the five obstructions! god, that is such a film geek doc.
contempt (godard)
funnyface, even though it's horribly sexist
and though i know it's heavy-handed mel gibson, braveheart. i can't help but love it.

as for favorite jack nicholson, hands down, the shining. (actually, that's one of my favorite movies.) that movie scared the living shit out of me when i was a little girl.
the departed
chinatown
as good as it gets
(though more for greg kinnear than jack). although, since doing as good as it gets, he's been stuck in that crazy-old-man role (with the exception of the departed). and he's better than that.
dolor
Usually, I find that Nicholson is doing his cocky grinning schtick... and this just gets in the way. One movie where he set that aside and entered into his character was the grim Ironweed. Thank you, Jack.

All JN fans must groove on over pronto to the "Psych-Out" and "The Trip" double bill, so that you can enjoy him as a pony-tailed hippie guitarist in the swirling psychedelic lights of the summer o' love in the first, and then enjoy his enlightened screenplay in the second. Enlightened, I say, since I'm sure he'd popped a few LSD flavored sugar cubes... in order to write from experience.

GT, what are the other questions that we haven't answered?
girltrouble
well, darling dream dolor, the only question i asked was your fave nicholson movie, but it is happy circomstance that people are listing their fave movies in general. so i suppose that is the second question.

my list of faves would go on entirely too long, and i've long since given up the idea that i would have any less than 100.

oh and thank you, cha cha charming for reminding me of the other jn film i love, and a tie with the last detail: the passenger.
dolor
Well, this isn't my fave movie of all (an unstable focus) but the movie that I've watched more times in my life is.... [bet you'll never guess!] Three Caballeros.

Yup: Walt Disney, 1945.

I just groooove to it on so many levels...

BTW, you have to skip the first two cartoons, the one about the penguin & the flying donkey. Then they (viz., Joe Carioca) ask the Eternal Question: "Have you been to Bahia??"... and I'm on my way...

"THE SKY IS FILLED WITH ROMANTIC!"

Be sure to switch to Spanish when the song "Bahia" comes on, 'cause then it's sung in Portuguese.

Mmmmm, I think it's time to watch it again, soon.
girltrouble
heh. if it's the movies i've seen most in my life (a topic i can answer!) that would be:D.O.A, with edmond obrien, His girl friday, and logan's run.

logan's run has my favorite lines, and the best quotes for us agroaphobics/vampires:

after finally making it outside of the dome city they've lived in their entire lives:
lisa:"what is that big bright thing in the air?"
logan:"i don't know but it's warm. so... this is.... outside..."
lisa:"i HATE OUTSIDE!!!

one of my best friends and i always say this when we close a bar down:
"i guess it's time to leave. time for outside.
(both of us loudly)
i HATE OUTSIDE!!!!
girltrouble
jsmith, yeah. watchmen (the graphic novel) is fantastic. there's a reason that it's got such a reputation. it's the only graphic novel/comic book to win the hugo award for sci-fi/fantasy books in a one time category specifically to point out how good it is.

the 4 main comics/graphic novels that shifted the way comics were perceived in the us in the mid 80's were love and rockets, batman:the dark knight returns, maus, and the watchmen. any of which is fantastic. the only one still continuing is love and rockets, which i adore.

the watchmen was written by alan moore. 3 of his other stories have been filmed:from hell, the league of extraordinary gentlemen, and v for vendetta. don't be suprized if you hear that he hates the movie the watchmen, he always hates the movies of his stories.

you might want to check your library. they'll probably have a copy, might as well read it, since the movie isn't coming out till march of next year.
anna k
Last night, I saw Man on Wire, a documentary about a young Frenchman who walked on a tightrope between the Twin Towers in 1974 (and lived). It was beautiful and awe-inspiring. He was a true artist, with an amazing sense of balance to be up on a high wire 1300 feet in windy weather and not fall to his death. I had seen a video of an old man in Puerto Rico in 1978 who tried to walk on a tightrope between two buildings, and he fell to his death. This man looked like Mikhail Baryshnikov up there, just light, balletic, elegant, and graceful.
bunnyb
The Dark Knight was fantastic; Heath Ledger was amazing as The Joker.

I've also seen Wall.E (very cute and funny) and Hancock (amusing but not as much as I expected) in the cinema over the last few weeks and watched Penelope (again cute), Horton Hears a Who! (I LOVE Seuss!) and Edward Scissorhands (classic Depp and Burton) on flights.

Last night I watched Walk the Line for the first time on dvd and was very impressed by the performances of Phoenix and Witherspoon.

My favourite Jack Nicholson performance (but not film, those would probably be The Shining and The Departed) is in A Few Good Men, which never fails to have an impact on me. It surprises me (looking at imdb.com) how few films Nicholson has done, despite being such a prominent actor.

persimmon_grrrl
hey anna k - i was eyeing that doc, and didn't know if it was yay or nay. now i have at least one good review, so i may check it out. thanks! smile.gif

bunnyb: i was just coming into this blog to ask about reviews for "The Dark Knight," and here's one! i may go see it later this week with a friend, and i'm excited!

has anybody seen any good docs, old or recent, that they highly, highly recommend?
cecilia
I recently saw an interesting documentary about international intellectual property (specifically copyright), called Good Copy, Bad Copy. I especially found the part about the Nigerian film industry interesting. You can actually watch it free on their website:

goodcopybadcopy.net
persimmon_grrrl
thanks, cecilia!

very interesting piece...
anna k
I saw the second part of a three-part film called The Human Condition, a 1950s Japanese film about the occupation of Manchuria during WWII. It was such an intense, gripping film, with great characters, little boredom, good pace, and war scenes that aren't graphic but are still sick and sad to watch. I saw it at Film Forum in NYC, and look forward to seeing the final part next week.
bunnyb
persimmon_grrl, it's cheesy and OTT and typically Batman but it's good fun!

I can't think offhand of any docs (brain much...) I'm sure that there's one about national spelling bees that I intended to check out after recommendations in here but can't remember the title, sorry! there's also the one about bikinis (?) I'm sure... in the last six months... designermedusa recommended it... somebody help a BUSTie out?
doxy
Just watched Before Sunset.
I love that it's my era...and that I waited 8 years for it. But, when it compares greatly with the life I lead I wonder how many more 8 year stints with dating I think I can have.
Awesome sequal, my absolute favourite movies.
girltrouble
southern comfort is a devistating, beautiful documentary about a transgendered conference in georgia, and a transman and a transwoman who find love there. i met some of the people who were in the film a year or two later. of all the movies i've seen about trans movies, it is the deepest, most complex, and heartbreakingly lovely. in my top three trans movies, followed by ma vie en rose, and all about my mother.

i haven't seen it, but it's supposed to be phenominal:born into brothels it was an audience fave a few years back at the seattle film festival, it's about the children of prostitutes in calcutta.

hoop dreams is one of my favorite documentaries from way back. it follows two kids from the ghetto as they go from being highschool basketball stars to hopefully the nba or university. very good.

you can always check out the films of errol morris, interesting quirky documentarian, always interesting, sometimes extremely controversial. thin blue line is haunting, and i still don't know what to make of his film about a holocaust denier.

barbara koppel's shut up an sing is a great documentary on the dixie chicks. it made mr. t want to buy their records and usually she hates when i play country music...

the kid stays in the picture is a film lover's delight of a documentary. it's about a hollywood mover and shaker who produced some of the biggest movies in the 70's and 80's. super funny, warm, and shows off a new, animated style of documentary film making.

dogtown and z boys. one of my all time favorite documentaries ever. but then i'm a longboard skater. that said i don't know anyone who didn't enjoy this movie. done in a slightly punkrock style with sean penn narration, i've watched this thing 6, 7 times, and i can't resist it when they show it on ifc. funny, cool, sad, inspiring, and again, a great documentary style that keeps it interesting. i love dogtown!!! stacy peralta (who is in the film and directed it) did a follow up about surfing too, called 'riding giants' which is good, but not as fresh as dt&z-b.

if you have cable, keep an eye on ifc. they have great documentaries that they keep in rotation. there are a couple on punk rock that are great, the one about the 'z channel' is a great doc about a indy film channel i think in nyc, that if you love film, you have to see. it's just mind blowing. there is under the influence about indy films of the 70's which i love to watch. anytime it's on, i stop what i am doing and watch it. so many great american films. you can also check out their site ifc.com

unforgivable blackness:the rise and fall of jack johnson is a great, great, great documentary not just about a forgotten black boxing icon, but about conditions for black people in america. and if you want to see the roots of people like mohamed ali, here is where you start. makes me cry everytime.

the corperation: interesting political documentary about how and why capitolism is rotting the foundation of this country. lots of information, but easily digestable.

if there's one documentarian i can warn you away from:nick bloomfield. grating, obnoxious, and constantly droning on about himself, i loathe both him AND his films.

if i can think of any more, i'll post 'em but my puter is acting up right now...
persimmon_grrrl
awesome! i'm excited to check these out.
I saw "Born into Brothels"...the jury's still out about my review of the film.

thanks for alla suggestions.

i just saw "Man on Wire" - very engaging, well-edited film. I want to know more about Annie Allix, what she's up to in her life now. I want to know about the quiet love and thoughtfulness, loyalty and obvious deep devotion of Jean-Louis Blondeau. Philippe Petit certainly gives another twist to his diminutive last name, and actually looks like a lion at times, with his high-wire antics, the redness of his hair, and that smile.

Inimitable. Inspiring.
girltrouble
great chaplin marathon on tcm right now. pretty much a retrospective. good stuff!
courtiegirl
Anyone see Usual Suspects? What a twist! Amazing cast; (kevin spacey is my fave) and also Dart (the fourth musketeer on Man in the Iron Mask), the nervous doctor in Benny and June, and Stump (the guy who's not Pauly Shore in Biodome). I give it five stars, easy.
anna k
I had never seen The Usual Suspects, and the ending was spoiled for me during VH1's "I Love the 90's." So now I can't watch it if I know who Keyser Soze is.
persimmon_grrrl
QUOTE(girltrouble @ Aug 2 2008, 09:19 PM) *
great chaplin marathon on tcm right now. pretty much a retrospective. good stuff!

no cable or television. sad.gif

ps: "The Usual Suspects" is masterful. Kevin Spacey is an amazing actor. I had a major crush on him in previous lifetimes.
courtiegirl
HAHA I'm pretty sure I did too in past life-times. but American Beauty is one of my favies.
girltrouble
if you like or haven't seen the usual suspects, you might want to try "apt pupil" about a kid who thinks his neighbor might be a nazi played by ian mckellen. it's based on a stephen king story, and has the same director, brian singer. i introduced him at a film festival years ago. he's a nice guy-- he couldn't watch the film -- too nervous, but he stood looking at the doors the entire time to gage audience reaction.
thirtiesgirl
Anyone seen the new X-Files yet? I was about to go see it today, but the reviews on Rottentomatoes are pretty bad, so I decided against it. Anyone have a different opinion?

I love the Usual Suspects. One of my top 10 favorite movies. If you like the crime noir stuff, three of my favorites from the '70s are Dog Day Afternoon, Klute and Serpico. Totally worth checking out, and Jane Fonda's hair is fabulous in Klute. (I can understand if you hate Jane, but she plays a great character in the movie, and Kiefer Sutherland's dad, Donald Sutherland, plays the title character, a cop.)
pollystyrene
QUOTE(thirtiesgirl @ Aug 3 2008, 08:06 PM) *
Anyone seen the new X-Files yet? I was about to go see it today, but the reviews on Rottentomatoes are pretty bad, so I decided against it. Anyone have a different opinion?

I didn't see it, but LeBoy did and reviewed it on his website, here. **NOTE: There are spoilers in there towards the end, but he warns you.
chachaheels
Oooh, Donald Sutherland. Sex personified. And when he opens his mouth to speak he's a brilliant man. It sounds so shallow, I know, but young men who looked like he did (and does now)--tall, angular, same smart and naughty and playful eyes...well, as soon as I saw them I would plan to make them my boyfriends. When I think back it's like I dated Donald Sutherland in his Dr. Bethune character, in his Klute character, in his Dirty Sexy Money character, in his Dirty Dozen character.

He is good, though, isn't he? As an actor, I mean.
(thank you for indulging me. I needed to get that admission about him off my chest).

thirtiesgirl
Actor... fantasy love-ah... yeah. He's got a great voice, too.
anna k
I saw the last part of The Human Condition yesterday. I have the same to say as before: really an intense film, just absolutetly gripping. Even more depressing and dire than the second half. Watching it, I kept thinking of other films that may have taken ideas from it, like Midnight Express, Saving Private Ryan, and 1960s movies with Steve McQueen and Paul Newman.
dolor
I'm jealous, Anna.... I've been wanting to see the Human Condition trilogy for years and years... It's in my sub-queue at Netflix. i.e. they don't have it and have no idea when they will. Frustrating.

Also, I believe that this trilogy is what put Tatsuya Nakadai on the map. (I first became aware of him in Sword of Doom, as the doomed psychotic samurai.) Right after the HC, he then stars in When a Woman Climbs the Stairs, which is now the first Naruda to be found on DVD over here.

anna k
He was incredible in this film. My brother had told me that a famous Japanese actor had starred in it, so I assumed it was Toshiro Mifune. Not him, but close, as Tatsuya had starred with him in a previous film. He reminded me of Steve McQueen, a rough-looking handsome guy, though Kaji tries more to be the pacifist in this film.
dolor
Formed by watching Yojimbo and Sword of Doom, my image of Nakadai is like... a Japanese Alain Delon. Handsome to the point of being almost feminine, with an interior which is cold, ruthless, possibly psychotic.

On the other hand,
In interview (the one that came with When a Woman Ascends the Stairs?) he was self-deprecating and humorous, talking about the various famous directors he'd worked with.
rubberdollz
QUOTE(thirtiesgirl @ Aug 3 2008, 09:06 PM) *

I love the Usual Suspects. One of my top 10 favorite movies. If you like the crime noir stuff, three of my favorites from the '70s are Dog Day Afternoon, Klute and Serpico. Totally worth checking out, and Jane Fonda's hair is fabulous in Klute. (I can understand if you hate Jane, but she plays a great character in the movie, and Kiefer Sutherland's dad, Donald Sutherland, plays the title character, a cop.)

Ok when I read this and you talked about Jane Fonda I totally thought of Barbarella! hahaa. Has anyone seen that movie? I don't know why but it's super funny but I always enjoy watching it. We had blockbuster.com (like Netflix) for a while and Barbarella was a must see before I cancelled it. Gawd... am I a dork or what?!?!
dolor
Chere Chacha,

-- while wondering when you were dating Donald... I discovered that there are two Bethune movies both (!) of which star your throb: Bethune, make of a Hero (1990) and Bethune 1977. I'd be happy to see either, but neither appear to be available down here in the Yankee south.

I gather than he married a Quebec-er, and summers in the Eastern Townships. In fact, I've toodled through "his" town. If you'd like, I could stalk him on your behalf.

PS Hoping to visit rural Quebec next week-- encore un fois...
chachaheels
If you do stalk on my behalf, I hope you find and enjoy him immensely. His dopplegangers were all lovely. After I married my husband and visited his extended family in Nova Scotia, one of them (his mother, actually) had the nerve to tell me they all went to elementary school and high school with him, then she and her sisters nodded to one another and agreed that Sutherland was always "different", even back then.

And yes, his wife (he calls her the love of his life...see? Romantic and charming) is QuebeƧois and he does supposedly summer there, so happy hunting in such a gorgeous place.

His ex-wife, with whom he had Keifer, was Shirley Douglas. She's not known in the states well, but in Canada, she's the descendant of Tommy Douglas, one of the founders of the NDP. True to the gene, she's a committed activist too, and Sutherland still makes a point of being outspoken about specific issues whenever he gets a chance. (see? smart!)

I looked on the telefilm canada website (www.telefilm.gc.ca)--they may still have the Bethune films available, but their online catalogues only go back as far as 2001--maybe email might produce some information. Such an archetypal Canadian, that Bethune. I have to admit I chose the college at my university because of Sutherland's portrayal of the heroic doctor--and that's lame, I know...but I had no idea who the other colleges were named after, and Sutherland is sexy as hell. So there.
anna k
I really liked The Pineapple Express. I thought it would be so-so, but it was hilarious and just stupid-funny. I was surprised at how funny James Franco could be (he plays the brooding, depressed pretty boy a lot), and just had fun watching it.
kari
Hello movie watchers!

The other night I saw The Diving Bell and the Butterfly. Wow. That man was pretty amazing. It really put things in perspective for me. If he can write an entire book by blinking the letters out one by one, I can do the things that I need to do.

anna k
I watched Paris, Je T'aime last night. I had seen most of it, and had missed the first few shorts, which seemed pretty uneventful. I liked the ones best with Juliette Binoche, Natalie Portman, Gena Rowlands/Ben Gazzara, Rufus Sewell/Emily Mortimer, Nick Nolte/Ludivine Sangier, and the ones with lesser-known people, like a sweet moment between a beautiful classy Muslim girl and a French boy enamoured with her, a middle-aged woman from Denver taking a solo trip to Paris, and a French guy speaking to a young American guy, not knowing he can't speak French and just babbling on about stuff.
persimmon_grrrl
has anybody seen "waking life"?

what'd'ya think? i haven't seen it yet, but someone recommended it to me.
thirtiesgirl
QUOTE(anna k @ Aug 10 2008, 10:52 AM) *
I really liked The Pineapple Express. I thought it would be so-so, but it was hilarious and just stupid-funny. I was surprised at how funny James Franco could be (he plays the brooding, depressed pretty boy a lot), and just had fun watching it.

I shoulda gone to see this yesterday. I couldn't make up my mind, so instead I went to see Vicky Christina Barcelona which was, in a nutshell, STOO-PID. Ok, it had some funny moments (particularly when Penelope Cruz and Javier Bardem got together). But I don't just want some funny moments. I wanted the whole fucking film to be funny, and it just wasn't. Rich Americans and seemingly wealthy Spaniards wandering around Barcelona and blathering on about love and art for 2 hours...snore.
dolor
I love Waking Life. It's one of the 4 movies I actually purchased (knowing that I wouldn't enjoy seeing it repeatedly...)

At first I was intrigued essentially by the animation style (which invovles video, and a battery of animators), but then while watching it the second time, when I came to the point where the main character asks a woman in his dream what it's like being a character in a dream....... I then found the topic quite fascinating. So I decided to buy it.

I should add that it is too long, I find, and works better if you skip about 5 of the segments. So I drop what I take to be the weaker parts. The weakest are 5, 12, 19-- IMHO.

Be sure to see the wild cartoon in the bonus features, can't recall the name. Something like "Candy and drink."
About a rambling fellow buying candy and a slushy at a convenience store. Essential viewing for anyone interested in animation, as well as a hallucinatory breakdown of the visual field.

The episodic & talky style is a continuation of the style of "Slackers." Which you should see if you enjoy WL. Have fun!

PS Wonderful tango music, a la Piazzolla.
snow white
i just came across a trailer for the movie "the secret life of bees" (hate the title, makes me think of how obsessed everyone is w/ the actual secret life of bees and how they 'talk' to eachother and how they directly effect to worlds survival...u know) and it looks like it's gonna be an excellent movie, probably the best of the year (in my opinion). i luv queen latifah and dakota fanny looks like she may just yet beat the curse of the child actor. plus she's turning out to be a pretty cute teen.

on the other hand, as far as 'chick flicks' go, i think the worst of them all is gonna be this movie i keep seeing trailers for called "the women"... there's so many things wrong w/ this movie i don't even want to start. plus i really can't fucking stand eva mendes.
rubberdollz
I recently rented The Darjeeling Limited. I loved it. The whole movie was pretty funny and I love the odd sense of humor it puts out. It definitely was along the same lines as The Royal Tenenbaums and I loved that movie!

Anyone else seen these?
chachaheels
Oh, I love the Royal Tenenbaums and I desperately want to see The Darjeeling. I actually have a copy of that film, but I seem to sit down to watch movies when I'm on the brink of exhaustion. Then I fall asleep within moments because for me the best soporific is a couch in front of a TV, or a comfy seat in a dark movie theatre and a very loud movie. So, I've enjoyed the first few minutes of The Darjeeling, I just don't remember anything else after that.

The thing about those movies that really gets me: there is just so much pain in those characters, but their whole story is comedic. I understand how much of the world despises Gwynneth Paltrow as a celebrity but when I think of her character in The Royal T's I think that is one of the most hilarious female character depictions I've ever seen. What I laugh at is the familiarity of the desperation--the closet full of identical lacoste dresses and loafers, the thick mascara (you can imagine that character thinking to herself: I need more....more....just a little more...more). The frozen expression, like she's a photograph of a sad, pretty girl. The impact of that sadness--and the way it heightens Luke Wilson's character's actions is devastating. You laugh at the characters but they are heart wrenching too.

I like Anderson's particular fixation on details in his films, too. The Indian train used as the set for the Darjeeling; the upper east side Manhattan paraphernalia of the Royal Tenenbaums, everything from the extremely expensive wardrobe "uniforms" each character wears to the bizarre Miguel Calderon paintings in the living room; the "stuck in the 70's cabs, clothing, and cigarette brands, all calculated devices that indicate how frozen these characters are in that one era of their lives they can't move past. I know The Darjeeling has that same shattered starting point... now if I could only find a moment when I'm not feeling sleepy to see it.
rubberdollz
Yes you really need to watch it! I will say from first hand of watching the Darjeeling you need to make some time! Especially if you have seen and like Royal T's, it's great humor but sickness too. Amazing how these brothers get along... but yet they don't. Trapped on a train but hating and loving it all at once.

I love in the Royal T's when Luke Wilson at the end is painted up like an indian and ends up crashing into the steps. The look on his face when it all happens... reminds me that I'm a sick individual since he did end up killing the kids dog!

That is what makes those movies funny... they are sad but comedic all in one. I am not a fan of Gwyneth but watching her in the Royal T's was quite a difference in character for her. I thought she did a great job though.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.