Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Reel Life: The Movie Thread
The BUST Lounge > Forums > Media Whores
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51
bunnyb
I forgot In Bruges was a Martin McDonagh film! Bugger it, I may just have to buy the dvd. The Pillowman is one of my favourite plays and I'm upset that I didn't see it live at the Edinburgh festival this year; also, his oscar winning short Six Shooter was very good.

Why aren't you a fan, syb? A certain Irish queen lecturer that we both know introduced me to McDonagh (and Marina Carr whose work I adore).

I haven't seen any Ken Russell films; I was always put off by his adaptations of D.H. Lawrence, alone.
zoya
quick delurk / drive by to say that I just saw RocknRolla, the new Guy Richie film - LOVED it. Supposedly he's planning on making a series of movies featuring the 'RocknRolla' character (and some of the other characters as well), which I am hugely looking forward to.

I'd like to expound more on the film, but I don't have time! (at work)

*relurks*
sybarite
Said lecturer merely introduced me to Restoration drama... and Rochester's plays. I always felt he enjoyed his subject...

Eh, my reasons for not liking McDonagh are subjective: I've seen two of his plays and heard him lauded to the skies as a great new Irish playwright. To me he just does brooding anger and a weird slapstick. This is in context of my being very over postmodern/neo-naturalistic Irish cultural expression across the board though, so should be read as my jaded two cents!

Lawrence and Russell always seemed like they'd be a seriously overheated, severely soft-focused combo.
girltrouble
bunny-- you wanna hear something funny? i've never seen any of russell's dh laurence films. i sat thru 15 minutes of one of them, and walked out. *shrug* it didn't have any of the frenetic energy that i liked in his films. see syb's comment, and i'd have to agree. i know it's what he's known for, but.....no thanks.

see [i]the devils[/i], or the music lovers. good period pieces, each, and the devils makes me cry every time. it's about a rather....lascivious, womanizing priest who rebels against the catholic church taking over his city and the punishment that he faces for his rebellion. a veeeeeery anti-catholic movie. reed's not a sympathetic character, but i sympathized with him. i think it's what made me start to love more complex, conflicted people in movies. some people demand the lead be likable in films, i tend towards the opposite. you learn nothing when the center of the film is a saint, but if i he is flawed, even unlikable, then you understand a important part of the human condition-- there are few black and white ideas in this life. our choices are muddled, none of us are pure.

and the lair of the white worm is hilarious. it's all phallic symbols.

i also liked lisztomania, savage messiah, gothic, and salome's last dance.

as for russell being an ass, heh. that sounds about right.

ETA:what up with the commercials for max payne the movie that makes it look like constintine jr? the video game was a straight ahead noirsh 1st person shooter. why the penny ante religious bs?
girltrouble
just saw the bank job-- i LOVED IT. pitch perfect heist film. great cinematography, and the score, terrific, particularlly the climax at the train station. it's the bells ringing like an alarm that made it so spectacular. it's rare for me to stop thinking "shot? frame? sound? pacing? color? etc." during a film, and until a beautiful artsy shot from under a car, this film made me forget it and just go with it.

i love a great heist/caper/prison break film. they're just like nothing else.

that seals it for me, i will see anything jason statham is in. even if it's meh, it's a lot of fun, and he does some interesting films. he's awesome
bunnyb
I will check out some Ken Russell movies at some point.

Mmmm, Jason Statham... I have yet to see The Bank Job but want to (the bank robbed is the one I currently work for) and his new prison break fiml, Death Race. I'm a sucker for those type of movies too.

Speaking of which: I have a strong urge to re-watch that 80s classic (IMO!) Tango and Cash after hearing a dance track on the radio which sampled the song playing in the club where Teri Hatcher is dancing. There is nothing like cheesy 80s movies, especially ones with lots of violence and one-lines (it's the "fubar" film biggrin.gif).

zoya, I'm hoping to see RocknRolla this weekend.
chachaheels
I'm so glad you liked it, GirlTrouble! I thought Statham was just so good and I loved the way the tension ramped as the film came to it's climax. I was moved by it! And that just doesn't happen for me during "heist" flicks. Was Statham also in Sexy Beast?
Lilith
I haven't seen the bank job, but I just have to comment every time I see the lovely words "Jason Statham". I adore him.
anna k
I wouldn't reccomend War, that starred Jason Staham and Jet Li. I like both of them, and hoped it would be good, but it wasn't. Just not a tight or together movie, and just looked like a big paycheck for both stars and nothing more.

The Bank Job and In Bruges. Looks like I have some new movies to add to my Netflix queue!
zoya
I'm kinda skeptical of Death Race... it's a remake of Death Race 2000, a 1975 total cult movie which I LOVE - with David Carradine (hell, Debbie Harry is even in it!) It's a great movie that doesn't rely on special effects as much as I'm afraid the 2008 version will - because it couldn't. I'm kinda afraid it will be kind of like the Omega Man / I Am Legend. I thought Omega Man was great, because there just weren't the special effects then. So it had to rely on storyline more - kinda like Death Race 2000 did (even though it's totally over the top)

... something they haven't played up in the trailers for the 2008 version - and I'm wondering if they even include it in the film - is the 'point system' that's in Death Race 2000. Basically there are different points to the drivers for killing people, based on age, gender, and occupation of the people hit. There's one scene in the movie where a bunch of nuns cross the street and they're yelling "10 points for the nuns!!!" or something like that - it's hilarious, in that campy, 70's action film kind of way. I can't imagine in this PC age that they'd do it. But it's part of the sense of humor of the original film, which is part of what I love about it.

anyhoo...
girltrouble
i thought war was meh, but some of statham's films, like the transporter2, crank, war, more than likely, death race, are just popcorn/action movies fun for the stunts, and explosions. although i loved the loopy camera work and editing of crank.

just watched the hbo promo for alan (six feet under, true blood)ball's towelhead. it looks really, really, really good. if you have the hbo, watch it. i can't wait to see it.

i feel the same way zoya about the wicker man, and rollerball. they both had this great political thing completely destroyed by the remakes.

oh and i just got bug and running with scissors from the library...whooo!
zoya
... yeah and the other thing that the big action remakes do is really dumb down the political angle of the stories and beat you over the head with it, and the "moral," whereas in the original versions it's just worked into the storyline and the visuals as a whole - you (god forbid) actually have to THINK about it, and get something from it yourself.
sybarite
The Nicolas Cage remake of The Wicker Man was ludicrous, despite the presence of Ellen Burstyn. I think Neil La Bute's films can be interesting but he should never have been allowed near the Wickerman. Heresy.

Zoya, I am very anti-CGI in general. I just don't buy it, it always looks so fake. The worst (as covered extensively) was when the late lamented Oliver Reed dies during the making of Ridley Scott's Gladiator and they CGI'd him into his unfinished scenes.

Meant to say GT, that Oliver Reed was a fine thing when he was young... alcoholism and all.
dolor
The other day a pal mentioned that some important footage of the original UK Wickerman has been lost. Alas.

As for the remake, I recall that a number of the reviews noted how misogynistic it was.
Filled with scary evil powerful sexy women? Who are then gratifyingly tortured and killed?
[Gratifying to a certain male POV, that is.]
(I didn't see it.)
This being a new variation on La Bute's notorious cynicism and misanthropy.
girltrouble
i'm really annoyed that there is a movie called "nick and norah's [whatever]." the thin man movies aren't just goofy movies with two main characters with names that use alliteration. they are some of the smartest, funniest screwball comedies of the era. nick and norah are the zenith in drunken sophistication, not just some stupid teens making fucking fart jokes.

i hate you, i hate you, i hate you.

and that goes for the stupid remake of the women that i am going to sneak into so i can properly talk shit about it. hmph.

(speaking of which, tcm is going to be showing the original movie, "the women" on the 15th, 8pm eastern)
auralpoison
Oh, I KNOW! I love the Thin Man movies! Nick & Nora Charles were so sophisticated & fun & DRUNK! And little Asta ruled!

Um, I've seen the Wickerman remake. Huh. I don't recall any of the ladies being tortured & killed, one gets punched. The women were pretty much in charge on the island, the men almost never spoke. And they do roast Nic Cage alive, that was pretty cool. The rest of the film is shite, however.
zoya
NOOOOOOOOO!!!! Say it isn't so, that there is some sort of blasphemous Nick and Nora reference in a film out there!! ARGH!! I LOVE the thin man movies! They're so smart and stylish and wickedly funny. And cocktails and smoking galore. All the great stuff that is completely un-PC today.
anna k
I'm glad I'm not the only one who saw the names were a reference to the Thin Man movies. Those movies were great, they were a sexy rich couple who flirted with other people in front of each other and didn't care, called each other "darling" all the time, and had a really cute dog.

Hart to Hart was the 80's update, I'm pretty sure of.

I'm looking forward to watching Alice Doesn't Live Here Anymore. I've seen parts of it, but not the whole thing, and I like those 70's movies and books about single-parent families and latchkey kids and stories about kids growing up fast in a crazy world.
girltrouble
anna-- have you seen bless the beasts and the children? it's really good, and it's from that era where movies were interested in demyth-ifying kids, like it's contemporary, the bad news bears, bless the beasts has kids doing things that are more honest, and the end of the movie always makes me cry. it's about a bunch of misfit kids who are tired of getting beat up and harassed at a summer camp, who decide to run away to find a buffalo. i should warn you, most people don't share my love of karen carpenter's voice, the carpenters do the theme song.

...and you do know alice doesn't live here anymore, was the basis of the tv show, alice, don't you?

the name of the ANNOYING movie using nick and norah is called nick and norah's infinite playlist. here is imdb's synopsis:
It's been three weeks, 2 days, and 23 hours since Tris broke up with Nick. And now here she is at his gig, with a new guy. How could she have moved on so fast??? Nick, in a desperate attempt to show her he's moved on too, turns to the girl next to him and asks her to be his 5 minute girlfriend. This begins the night of Nick, Norah and manhattan. The night of stripping nuns, hotel ice rooms, russian food, psychotically jewish ex boyfriends and lovingly trashy ex girlfriends. It's the night of Julio and Salvatore. The night of holding hands and writing songs and singing in the rain. It's a night they'll never forget. Written by Anonymous

...sterling dry.gif

seems it's taken from a teen book, and the slugs who wrote it were all too happy to trade on the nick and nora name.:

can i put out a hit on them? i'm disgusted.
anna k
I know of the TV show, but think it's funny and odd that a depressing movie was turned into a lighthearted sitcom known for the catchphrase "Kiss my grits!" From what I had seen of the movie, I liked the realism of a mother restarting her life and being unsure, and being irritated with her annoying son.

Thanks for that movie reccomendation. I guess I just like books/movies like that because I grew up in a comfortable two-parent home in suburbia, yet can relate to the loneliness and independence of the kids, as I was a pariah for many years.

Yeah, that know-it-all hipster trash annoys me, of teens and people in their twenties talking in that deadpan sarcastic snotty way that I hate.
vixen_within
Awww I love the Thin Man movies. I didn't notice that connection!
I'm still not going to see it, but hey. Yay, The Thin Man!
anna k
I watched Alice Doesn't Live Here Anymore. I really liked it a lot, it was dire and sad and depressing, and I didn't even feel like the ending would be good, just another disappointment for Alice and her son. I was surprised by the change of Harvey Keital's character, he really did seem like a nice guy before he turned bitter and abusive. I couldn't believe him being 27, he looked 35 to me. He was studly back then, a hot little fucker.

I couldn't stand her son, especially when he was yakking and asking so many questions while she was driving them to Tucson. Kid, your dad just died suddenly, your mom is poor, and she's uprooting her and your life somewhere with no defintite future. I also felt bad for her singing in that danky bar.

And I wasn't looking when Jodie Foster was onscreen, and thought she was a boy at first. Her short haircut didn't help. She really had the tomboy thing down back then.
sybarite
I like Alice Doesn't Live Here Anymore, partly because it's such a departure for Scorsese (although it seems he couldn't help himself in casting Keitel). I like Ellen Burstyn in anything but she's great in this. I loved Foster in it too: she looks like a dirty faced tomboy but talks like a world weary 30-something chainsmoker.

So seventies though--it's even got Kris Kristofferson.
anna k
I really liked Vicky Cristina Barcelona. The film was gorgeous to watch. Great cinematography, with this warmth and heat radiating off the screen, and everybody was lit beautifully, especially Rebecca Hall's wavy long hair and freckles and Javier Bardem's deeply tanned complexion. Penelope Cruz was hilarious and just explosive and fantastic, stealing the movie from everyone and looking gorgeous with her crazy long hair and thick dark eyemakeup, looking dissheveled and pissed in slips and housedresses.

This may be an unpopular opinion, but I don't find Scarlett Johannson particulary beautiful. She's someone who I'm told is beautiful/sexy because she has radiant tits and a deep voice, but she has this air of smugness about her that I don't like, and her character had that in this movie, which bugged. Though I think that was the point, as the narrator was describing her attitude of feeling more European than American, feeling superior and more free and open-minded, and the audience was laughing at that pretension.
girltrouble
saw burn after reading today. i liked it, it's somewhat more subdued than their normal films. it's played in many ways pretty straight. it starts and ends with a satellite zooming in, and later out from the people in the story. it's a fun little device, used in horror movies to some extent, god, or a malevolent spirit, visiting the victims. a symptom of paranoia, to be sure, but the thing it seems to be saying in burn however is, don't look too closely. it's the unifying theme of the movie.

burn is and isn't a coen bros movie, i think of all the movies they've made, it's the one i can most easily see someone else directing. that's not a bad thing, i don't think. but then i worry that it could be a symptom of 'cronenberg-itis'. if you don't know the term it's cos i made it up. but it's when a singular director slowly stops doing the brilliant movies he usually does in favor of good, but comparatively pedestrian films. i hope that's not the case with the coens. i've always loved their cartoonish, loopy movies, that are as much fun in the watching as they are in considering them later. burn is fun, of course, although it has a slow wind up, before the craziness begins in earnest, it's not that same thrill ride, but burn is smart, and strangely funny.
thirtiesgirl
I saw Burn After Reading last night and loved it. Not as much as Fargo (my all time favorite Coens), but I loved hearing audience members at the end of the movie saying "that's it?", "that's the end?", "that was a load of crap," etc. I thought it was hilarious. Dark, but hilarious. Even the music cracked me up, this drum heavy "serious" music, like we were watching a serious movie about espionage, government secrets, etc. Love their twisted sense of humor.
girltrouble
oh i loved the soundtrack too 30's. burn was played like sooo like a normal spy movie, the heavy action movie music, the satellite shot, the computer location captions complete with computer sound effects.

but i loved how it was all about distances. malcovich was an analyst who is fired for looking too closely, much of the action takes place because of people looking where they shouldn't, mcdormand is not seen in a normal shot the first time we see her, but rather in xcu, being marked up for plastic surgery. she and brad pitt work in a gym, which is all about appearances, or looks. there is a lot put on appearances in washington circles.

...and i love the title of the children's book.

i have to say that i do love that the coens are so committed to genre, even if it means playing against it, or underplaying it. that's what makes it fun. my favorite directors are the ones who have a good sense of genre conventions.

and i loved the humor too. the whole thing with the ax ("the new key") or when he kills with it was a shocking riot.

i also meant to talk about the previews that were before burn. two of which almost had me crying. why? because no matter what is going on with our crazy elections, media wise it looks like the left is on the rise. there was the soloist, a movie with jamie fox and rob't downey, about compassionately taking care of the less fortunate, frost/nixon, a biopic about david frost's interview (and almost proscecution) of richard nixon, and finally milk, which is a bio pic of america's 1st openly gay politican, sf mayor harvey milk, played (by the looks of the preview), brilliantly by sean penn. having lived in sf, i can't wait for this, and being queer, it's even more so. i know how much that untold history means to the lgbt community. and the movie looked so positive. so lovely, so... beautiful. people wonder why i love movies so much, it's because they are like taking the coordinates of the country. it shows me exactly where we are on the political, personal, pop and artistic map at any time. it's what's being said, what's being thought, and what people are willing to invest $10s in to share part of a collective dream, and what these things mean...
bunnyb
QUOTE(sybarite @ Sep 13 2008, 03:08 PM) *
I like Ellen Burstyn in anything

syb, I was getting ready to post to ask whether you'd seen her in Into the West with her ex Gabriel Byrne when I realised you wrote Ellen Burstyn and not Ellen Barkin. D'oh.
anna k
I just watched Things Behind the Sun, and feel like crying. It was such an intense film, with some of the best acting I've ever seen. It was so powerful and sad and just got to me. It's about a singer-songwriter who went through a brutal gang rape as a teenager, and has been so numbed by the experience that, while she's a successful performer, drowns herself in alcohol and having sex with strangers, recreating the same trauma in some sick way of turning herself on. This friend of hers who she doesn't remember is now a music journalist, and goes to interview her, but has ulterior motives questioning her about her rape.

I don't know how Kim Dickens did not become a star after this film. She is so real as Sherry, and it's not some bullshit of dressing up a pretty actress to play "white trash," she truly owns this role as deep as her blood. Don Cheadle, who I didn't know was in this movie, just shocked me with how outstanding of an actor that he is. He plays Sherry's manager and former boyfriend, and has such love and devotion to her, I felt shook up in a pivotal scene where he confronts the music writer and just lays into him. That man is a dynamo.

I felt so touched by the film because of the depictions of people's problems with their sexuality, of how uneasy people can have with being reminded of old memories or being turned on by only one thing. The sex scenes in this film were not gratutious, they moved the plot along in describing the characters' problems in their lives and their sexualities, and I was glad that, for how brutal the rape scenes were, that a full shot was never shown of the act in place, as it wouldn't have been appropriate, like someone taking the scene out of context and putting it on a porn site.
sassygrrl
I really like Burn as well. I like that it was a movie about appearances, and it was really fun to watch. I was the only one really laughing out loud, but maybe that's my sense of humor. It was really smart, and very funny. I also loved the ending, but a lot of people around me where "meh" about it. I'm probably dragging Mcgeek to it.

The previews that made me cry a lot: Milk and Frost/Nixon. I can't wait for those!
girltrouble
i know, right? if they showed those previews twice i would have been a weeping mess. i adore sean penn, and the idea of him playing harvey milk never occurred to me, but from the preview, it's going to be one of the movies i am really, really eager to see.

tcm was showing 'the lady is willing.' which i had never seen before-- it's a screwball comedy staring marlena deitrich and fred mcmurray. an odd couple if there ever was one. a cop finds a baby and asks her to hold it while he looks for the parents, and she decides she'd like to keep him and takes him home. when told the only way she can keep the child is to get married, or get lots of money, she decides to marry the pediatric doctor who hates children who gives the kid his check up. hilarity, and love ensues. i liked it a lot. fun, smart and funny dialog. with deitrich wearing some pretty amazing outfits, natch!

dolor
On a Mizoguchi roll... Just saw Sansho the Bailiff, my first. Ugetsu is coming soon. And then I learned that Netflix will be getting 3 more (courtesy of our beloved pals over at Criterion) in October.
Yay!
anna k
I'm looking forward to watching a documentary tonight on Rockets Redglare, a guy who was an actor, bodyguard for Sid Vicious and Basquiat, and all-around downtown NYC guy in the 70's and 80's. He also appeared in Big as the hotel clerk who burps as a greeting. He sounded like he had a really bizarre and interesting life.
girltrouble
hee hee! there was a doc on him? that is so cool. i remember seeing his name in the credits for one of my favorite movies when i started getting into them in earnest--- scorsese's after hours. i would always giggle when he showed up in other movies. like olly stone's talk radio and jarmush's mystery train.

ETA: i don't know if y'all have heard, but there is a new feature on imdb where you can watch lots of movies and tv shows... it's cool, esp. for new filmakers, old tv shows and obscure movies. i'm hoping they really keep up with it.
chachaheels
...and when his name came up in the credits of Down By Law, the entire audience in the theatre I was watching the movie in cheered. Rockets Redglare has a lot of work to his credit!
anna k
I watched the movie last night, and didn't like him. He had a fucked-up youth and hung around with interesting folks (Willem Dafoe describing the downtown artsy cliques back then reminded me of how I've felt recently), but he reminded me of some creepy guy who would start a conversation with me with no interest from me and just ramble on about stuff while heavily breathing and making me uncomfortable. I liked the observations from Jim Jarmusch (especially about listening to homeless people's stories and calling them "real actors") and Steve Buscemi, who seemed like he both admired Rockets' gusto and character and also couldn't stand his selfishness and taking money from people. I loved the part when Jarmusch displayed the signed 10-dollar bill that Rockets had paid back to him, and all his friends were like, "Get out of here! Rockets actually paid someone back?!"

I only remembered him in Big, I didn't remember his parts in Mystery Train and Trees Lounge until the clips were shown. It was cool that he was a part of that artsy downtown scene of the late 70's/early 80's, but seemed like such a lonely, fucked-up mess later in life.
anna k
On Pitchfork, they're playing this great documentary about The Gits, a punk rock band in early 90's Seattle whose rise to success was cut short when their lead singer, a charismatic, fascinating woman named Mia Zapata, was raped and murdered. The film is such a great tribute to her talent, her power, her strength, and when she sings, it just gets under my skin. Her voice reminded me of admiring Hole, Babes in Toyland, and L7 as a preteen, and if the Gits had gotten mainstream (instead of becoming publically known through Mia's murder), they would've been even greater with more influence (Ann Powers even says that she believes Karen O. and Brody Dalle were influenced by Mia without knowing it). It's such a powerful, sad, and memorable film, where Mia just feels so real and honest and funny and raw, and you dread knowing what will happen to her, but her friends created the self-defense organization Home Alive in her memory, and her killer was caught, albeit ten years later.
auralpoison
For me the loss of Cobain wasn't very dramatic, but the loss of Mia really hurt. I remember the day I found out Mia had been murdered. I had to work & I listened to Frenching the Bully over & over again. I'd had to special order it since this podunk burg didn't have it. Still have it. Wish it wasn't in storage because I'd listen to it right now.

Rockets Redglare . . . That's a name I haven't heard in a while. I always think of him in Desperately Seeking Susan as the cabbie that took his sushi home, cooked it, & was surprised it tasted like fish.
girltrouble
i moved to seattle a bit before that. she lived in my hood, and the comet, the bar she left that night was a bar that me and a lot of my friends used to go to. i practically worked across the street. but i never saw the gits, and i never new mia, (which isn't surprizing seattle is an amazingly insular city), but it effected everybody. you still see people wearing their gits shirts around...she's still having a an effect on things thru home alive....
vixen_within
I just saw Ghost Town about a misanthropic dentist in New York who can suddenly "see dead people", I really liked it.

Movies I'm looking forward to:
Australia
Revolutionary Road
Changeling, starring Angela Jolie
Milk, with Sean Penn
I've Loved You For So Long
Blindness , even though Julianne Moore irritates me to no end.
The new James Bond movie
W

edit to add: Mia sounds like a film I'd like to see, but surrounded by other women, not by myself.
vixen_within
Anna K what is the name of the documentary?
auralpoison
The Gits Movie is called The Gits Movie.

The Gits Movie webpage.
thirtiesgirl
Saw Choke today (the new Chuck Palahniuk movie) and loved it. But then I love Sam Rockwell, and I also love stories about screw ups with serious mother issues, since I can really identify with them. It may not be for everyone, though.
girltrouble
ok saw in bruges--

loved it. the bosch stuff was good. but watching it with my film friend he said that they weren't just name checking nickolas roeg, but two of his most famous movies, don't look now and performance were weaved thru if not the template for the film. ralph finnes' charecter was played by mick jagger i think in performance, a boss trying to kill a hit man, and donald sutherland plays a art restorer who goes to venice (instead of bruges) after his boy is killed and people start dying around him. honestly i wouldn't know all of this-- i've seen one nick roeg film, "the man who fell to earth" in highschool, and had no interest in ever seeing anything he's made since, although i might have to amend that now.

there's some pretty good extras on the dvd too. thanks for the recommend, busties. that was really great.

i also just saw the sequel to 28 days later, 28 weeks later? hated it. never mind that the plot had holes you could push whole planets thru, what bugged me other than 1) the plot, 2) the kids 3)the stupid you-should-be-dead-but-you-STILL-aren't, horror villian, and the 4)stupid ending, the thing that bugged me most? too predictable. for me atleast i decided i didn't want to see this movie when i saw the preview in a theater. 5 seconds into it, i whispered to my friend, fuck that shit. why? #2. the kids.

kids in a horror movie: kids come in, so cute and innocent, they do something stupid they aren't supposed to do, everybody dies because of their stupidity.

all from 5 seconds. it's like they weren't even trying.
dolor
Speaking of In Bruges,
but going OT,
when I wanted to access my prior brief comments about this flik, I did a Google search for "dolor" + "In bruges" and came very quickly to my post here.
Does this mean... that the entire Lounge archive can be readily Googled?
(Tho I don't know how far back is the Lounge is archived here.)
Was this already common knowledge?
Things get very frank around here.
kari
Vixen, I can't wait to see Milk!

Yesterday I saw Towelhead. It was good, but very difficult to watch for pretty much the whole movie.
thirtiesgirl
Me, neither. Who'da thunk: Sean Penn as Harvey Milk?! But he really looks the part.

Just futzing about the web this morning, I came across some interesting news. Tim Burton's working on an adaptation of Alice in Wonderland that will be live action and some CGI. Alice is being played by an unknown Australian actress (and from photos, she looks a little older than the young Alice of the book), and of course Johnny Depp's in it as the Mad Hatter. I'm actually a huge Burton fan so I can't wait to see it, but I guess there are some Alice in Wonderland fans out there who are already expressing their disappointment.

Tim's Alice:

octobersky
Awesome thirtiesgirl! Tim Burton + Johnny Depp + Alice in Wonderland = FANTABULOUS!!!!!! Squee!

That's an excellent casting choice on Alice. I completely get the vibe. I wonder if Helena Bonham Carter will play the Red Queen? Wouldn't she be great? Any speculations on the Cheshire Cat's casting?

Yeah I saw that preview for the Milk movie and I almost didn't recognize Sean Penn. Has anyone seen "Burn After Reading?" Just what I would have expected from the Cohen brothers. The dialogue between the CIA agents was priceless. And the chair Clooney's character built - bwhaaa!!!
thirtiesgirl
As far as I can tell from what's online, no other characters besides Alice and the Mad Hatter have been cast. There's a rumor that British actor Matt Lucas (from the show Little Britain) will play Tweedledee/Tweedledum, but that's it as far as I can tell. I don't think Bonham Carter's in the movie from what I've seen. There are photos of her on set, but taking care of their new baby, not in costume. The movie won't be out for another 2 years, which will drive me crazy with impatience.
auralpoison
Sate yourself with another Johnny Depp picture that will be out soon enough: Public Enemies is slated to be out next summer. I love gangster movies, particularly John Dillinger ones. Although it's weird to think of Depp as Dillinger, I'm on board. Plus, even if it sucks, it's going to be full of handsome Hollywood guys in great suits. I posted some pics sometime back of Johnny looking too cool for school.

There are also rumors of Depp being Barnabus in the Dark Shadows movie. How cool is that? Dark Shadows is a guilty pleasure of mine.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.