Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Reel Life: The Movie Thread
The BUST Lounge > Forums > Media Whores
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51
hiddenpoet
Auralpoison i never thought i would hear another person agree with me about Juno! even if only a little! i thought it was as boring and empty as an atypical piece of abstract art.

auralpoison
Well, it was just one big fat cliche of a movie. Every hipster-y reference made, every song on the soundtrack, wardrobe, production design, dialogue, etc was just so . . . calculated. It made it feel really false to me.
crazyoldcatlady
ap i was just thinking about that the other day, how juno was overwritten like that. it seemed like it was trying too hard, and that was distracting.
anna k
I like the parts of Juno that were about the adoptive couple, and the nice heart-to-heart she had with her dad about love, but didn't care about Juno herself, and thought she was a snot for cutting Paulie out of her life then getting jealous when he goes out with another girl. Plus, I'm annoyed that Diablo Cody is shamelessly ripping off Ginger Snaps for her new movie.

I watched The Bank Job Friday night, but was really bored. I just didn't care about anything that was happening and shut it off after an hour or so.
anna k
I saw this low-budget horror film called Splinter tonight, it was pretty good and suspenseful. It was about a young average couple who get held hostage by a criminal couple, and they band together when this horrible mutant creature attacks one of them and wreaks havoc. The actors were good and convincing (I only recognized one, Paulo Constanzo from Road Trip and 40 Days and 40 Nights), and I really got into it for the time being. I liked that the characters weren't stock horror characters who do dumb stuff and get killed, they were smart and resourceful and had a lot of innate knowledge, be it explosives or biology. My only gripe is the shaky camera, flickering imagery, and quick cuts to make it exciting, it looked like a big blur to me, and I imagined the scene being shot one shot at a time, no excitement, then speeding it up to make it look crazy and insane.
hiddenpoet
i watched My Kid Could Paint That earlier tonight. i loved how it turned into a documentary about modern art and whether or not it is valid or true to about how the media builds you up just to tear you down, to being about the family and their struggles with sudden fame and sudden disgrace. it was as honest as possible. the film doesn't give any redemption in itself, but you get to make the decision for yourself.

as for me i think that marla's father had more to do with the direction of her paintings than he let anyone know.
kari
hiddenpoet - I watched that documentary a couple of months ago, I found it so interesting. I agree that the father gave some direction, perhaps more than some people think he should have. But where is the line btw direction & encouragement? I remember a scene when Marla said she was done with a painting & her dad said something like "are you sure? you're done?"

Is the process of making art more valuable than the actual end product? Without Marla's story, what merit does her art have? How would it sell if it were portrayed as a collaboration btw Marla & her father?

To me, Marla's agent is even worse than her father. He is a scuz. I felt bad for the mother, it seemed like the agent & the father call the shots.
hiddenpoet
it's hard to say exactly where the line is between direction and encouragement. i doubt the art would sell if it were a collaboration between her father and her as the entire reason why she started selling out exhibits was because the media said she was a prodigy, and that was the attraction.
for me personally all that matters is that the art is thought provoking, aesthetically pleasing or a combination of the two. merit doesn't matter to me. so of course it also doesn't matter to me personally how it got made, just that it exists. (as a side note i really loathe these new artists out there are letting animals starve or menstruating on a canvas. just being repulsive is high art now?)
wasn't the painting where she was done with it and he asks are you sure in the backyard? the backyard painting was later being painted on when the filmmaker revisited the house for the making of the ocean painting film and marla was telling her dad to paint a face on her backyard canvas, then when he said he couldn't he needs to get his own she tells him okay dad go get your own and we'll paint together he remains in the kitchen. what the most fishy thing is to me anyway is that though her father also paints we never see examples of his work outside of a few at a distance piled in front of one another in the basement.
i completely agree with you about the agent. that guy is a perfect example of a fair weather friend. i didn't feel as much sympathy for the mother as much for marla's little brother. there were many times in the film where he was saying things that everyone was ignoring, or having to say dad over and over again until marla points him out to get the attention he needs.

dolor
GirlTrouble (and all other cin-seekers)

You there?

Speaking of noir, as we do, did you see "File on Thelma Jordan," recently on TCM? Definitely a good one... with a remarkably bleak ending. Then by coincidence I watched Anthony Mann's "The Furies," which is a transitional movie, between his initial noir period and his best known series of great Westerns (mostly starring James Stewart, who trades his good-guy image for a more troubled, intense, violent persona.) "The Furies" is noir, western and a melodrama. Quite a mix! A sleeper that's now been given the Criterion treatment. Great noir B&W cinematography... but applied to grand western expanses, as well as interiors.

The big coincidence is that both star Barbara Stanwyck and Wendell Correy. The latter is unusual..... First he seems phlegmatic, then you catch his subtlety.

And then I found that the book I gave you, the Time Out Film Guide (which I hope you're making use of in your exploration of Asian film) has a major bit by director Martel on her "The Holy Girl." It's on p 472, not alphabetical. I stumbled upon it while looking up "Forty Guns," which is Samuel Fuller (another director who did intense noir and intense westerns) & our powerful Barbara S.

-- and now I return to quiet philosophical cogitation,

yr d-gal
roquelaure
i just watched the new trailer for Watchmen.

i think i pee'd my pants a little.

*squeeeee!!!!!*
rubberdollz
Has anyone seen the movie Teeth???? My sister told me to watch it but I haven't gotten to the video store as of yet....
thirtiesgirl
QUOTE(roquelaure @ Nov 14 2008, 06:06 PM) *
i just watched the new trailer for Watchmen.

i think i pee'd my pants a little.

*squeeeee!!!!!*

Me, too. I had to read the graphic novel in college for a sci-fi lit class, and it was the first graphic novel that ever made me want to touch myself. I'd never had that happen with a comic book...erm, graphic novel...before.
vixen_within
I'm excited about Watchmen, too but I've never read the comic. Am I missing out?

Because I'll see ANY dancing movie I'm looking forward to a Wayans brothers' spoof of them that I just saw a preview for (I didn't catch the name of it though). Oh, and Center Stage 2, of course.

I saw Twilight last night...but I'll hold my tongue. Ebert wrote a great review that really says it all. http://rogerebert.suntimes.com/apps/pbcs.d...VIEWS/811199997

ETA: But I saw a really good Vampire movie a couple days before - Let The Right One In got it done.

Edit - Lawd, got the title wrong!
anna k
I really liked In Bruges. I watched it at 6 am because I couldn't sleep all night, and thought it was engrossing and intelligent and darkly funny, it just pulled me in. I enjoyed the relationship between Colin Farrell and Brendan Gleeson's characters, and it had great nighttime cinematography of the city. Colin Farrell is much better in smaller, character-driven roles or playing Irish, he's a much better actor than being in something generic and playing an American. Like Intermission, for example. I had only known Brendan Gleeson from 28 Days Later, and thought he was great in this, more of an unlikely hit man than Farrell's character. I liked the random humor and little asides, more the small things than the big picture.
Carrpet
QUOTE(rubberdollz @ Nov 20 2008, 09:17 PM) *
Has anyone seen the movie Teeth???? My sister told me to watch it but I haven't gotten to the video store as of yet....

Bust did an article about it actually! I ended up seeing it a day or two after it came out on video with my boyfriend. We did a double feature: Teeth and Carrie. The story idea is fantastic, but the general execution of it was poor. It does a really good job of making both sexes feel uncomfortable, but I did feel very empowered at the end.

QUOTE('vixen_within')
I'm excited about Watchmen, too but I've never read the comic. Am I missing out?

Oh, definitely read it. It's really good. I have high hopes for it after seeing the most recent trailer - I'm going to be super bummed if it sucks.

Last thing I watched was Kramer Vs. Kramer in my film class. A bit of tear jerker, especially if you've been a witness to a bitter divorce like I have.
anna k
I watched Ladies and Gentlemen, the Fabulous Stains and enjoyed it. It's a good little-seen movie, and I had thought it had always been avaliable, not only recently put on DVD. It reminded me of Foxes (teen girls living a wild life, early 80's seedy scenes), with Diane Lane as the Jodie Foster seen-it-all tough teen character. I liked it more listening to Diane Lane and Laura Dern's commentary, pointing out the adult scene that their baby selves were involved in, Diane going "That's my daughter" when she's first shown, and then, "That's my daughter's butt." They were both very gabby and self-deprecating, and cute when they cringed at some 80's stuff. Or Diane pointing out the reporter being so gorgeous and still beautiful today and being in awe of her, meanwhile being a stone-cold fox herself since she was a teen.

I had hoped that Sarah Jacobson's making-of special would be added onto the DVD, as she would've had great commentary about it. I was reminded of her when reading an old BUST issue where she wrote about her crush on Kevin Corrigan, playing the "rascally bad boy of her dreams," and thinking, "Ooh, she'd be happy, he played the bad boy in Superbad and American Gangster and . . ." before I remembered she had died.

Teeth was really funny, more of a dark comedy, horror-comedy thing. I saw it in theaters, and the whole audience freaked out at each castration scene, the men screaming in horror and the women laughing at the men screaming. It was such a huge roar and made me feel so warm and happy to be in the thick of it.
kari
Ok, this movie is so old, but I finally saw Elizabeth with Cate Blanchett. She is always so amazing. Wowzers.

I am so ready for the good movie season to start at the theaters. We always do a Christmas break movie blitz. One in particular that I'm waiting on is Milk.
vixen_within
Kari, Elizabeth is on my list of movies with Great Female Characters. It's really solid. Are we due for another list of those in this thread?
My current list of good movies that I'll watch over and over, starring and about (except for the last one) women include :

The Colour Purple
Notes On A Scandal
Their Eyes Were Watching God
(aka Halle Berry redeems herself!)
All About Eve
Thelma & Louise
Alien, Aliens, etc.
tommynomad
Vixen_within, I loved that Ebert review of Twilight. Here's a great follow-up:

[img]http://fc66.deviantart.com/fs37/i/2008/272/f/d/Methinks_Bella_likes_Edward_by_Scargut_the_Gutless.jpg[/img]
thirtiesgirl
For female-centric movies, I'd recommend anything by writer/director Nicole Holofcener. She's only made 3 movies (to my knowledge): Walking & Talking (excellent, dry humor); Lovely & Amazing (very good); and Friends With Money (excellent). Holofcener's style reminds me most of a feminized Woody Allen. She's also written a couple episodes of Gilmore Girls, Sex & the City, and Six Feet Under.

I'm also a fan of writer/director/producer Mary Harron, known most for directing American Psycho in 2000, although it's not directly about women. My favorites include I Shot Andy Warhol, which Harron wrote and directed, about occasional Factory devotee Valerie Solanas who wanted Andy Warhol to produce the screenplay version of her anti-male manifesto "Scum," but after Warhol's constant brush offs, Valerie shot him. And I also enjoyed Harron's take on The Notorious Bettie Page.

More recently, I loved female writer/director Courtney Hunt's movie Frozen River, about two women living in upstate New York, near the Canadian border, who find themselves working together due to economic hardship, smuggling illegal Asian and Pakistani immigrants across the Canadian border. Both are single mothers; one is a young Native American woman with connections to the smugglers' underground on the Indian reservation, and the other is a white woman, left by her degenerate gambler husband, who happens to have a car. The Indian woman needs the car to do her smuggling runs, and the white woman needs the extra cash she makes from the runs to get her kids some christmas presents. Even though they come from different cultural backgrounds, the women find some similarity in their drive for survival and to support their kids. A very powerful movie.

tommynomad
Mina Shum has made some great female-centric movies, too. And they all feature liberal doses of Sandra Oh, who IMO can act circles around any woman in Hollywood.

Double Happiness
Long Life, Prosperity and Happiness
and at least one I can't remember. Check IMDB.
vixen_within
Heh, I saw I Shot Andy Warhol after reading SCUM- I love the actress who played Solanas and followed her around to some other films she did, notably The Addiction where she plays a grad student who's been bitten by a vampire then has to learn to be one. Girls Town too.

The first time I saw Sandra Oh was in Last Night (one of my favourite movies!) - One of those movies that came out in 98/99 about the end of the world. She is so underrated. There are so many women I'd like to see get more roles, and better ones. I think Thandie Newton should have gotten more credit for her role in Crash for instance. She was the heart and emotion of that movie imo & didn't even get nominated.
tommynomad
You're right, vixen_within, Last Night was released the same year as those BIG end-of-the-world movies with Affleck, et. al. I didn't waste my time with those (life is too short to gamble on invariably bad hollywood pap), but saw Last Night 3 times!

Sandra Oh can act better with one eye than most of the people in the industry can with their whole bodies. Paul Giamatti is her male counterpart in that respect, except with him, it's an eyebrow.
thirtiesgirl
Loved seeing both Oh and Giamatti together in Sideways. Excellent movie. Another Giamatti favorite was seeing him as comic book writer Harvey Pekar in American Splendor. It's a celebration of Pekar's screwed up yet artistic, meaningful life.
vixen_within
I think I'm a soft touch, but I was actually moved by Giamatti's character in Sideways, by the end.

I just saw a preview of a Canadian zombie (sort of) movie called Pontypool. It was raving good! It's about a virus that's transmitted through language. I'm looking forward to seeing it again when it gets wide release. When I got there with my free pass, they told us were were part of a "test audience". It was really weird, I noticed people filming us from the corners of the cinema floor during the screening. After the movie they gave us a questionnaire.
humanist77
I think I'm coming in here at the right time-with talk about strong female characters. I just saw The Descent a couple nights ago, and it's been on my mind since then. I did look in the thread's archives to see what others have said about it. Pretty much everyone said that it was a lot better than they expected, which was definitely one of my first reactions as well. I will probably give some spoilers in my review, so be warned : )

When I had seen previews for it in the theatre, they totally marketed it as a dumb horror flick-just some helpless women stuck in a cave with monsters. As I was watching the movie and getting the actual feel for it, I realized that the true nature of the film simply couldn't be expressed in a 2 minute trailer.

After I finished the film it was so much more clear that the horror of the film (specifically, the monsters) were almost insignificant. It can be categorized as a horror movie, but I don't think it's that simple. I think the real intention of the director was to tell a story about these women and their friendships, and more importantly, how it revolved around the story of the most prominent character, Sarah. The movie was FULL of symbolism, and done beautifully. The cave itself, the monsters, her frequent visualizations of her daughter, and of course, The Ending.

I was frustrated too at first, but the more I thought about it, the more sense it made-not just what it meant, but but why the director chose to end it that way. BTW, this is the full ending-the one shown in theatres in the US was different and I don't think was quite as powerful. The full ending took a lot of guts on the director's behalf-something like that is not going to please too many people, hence why it was cut for the US (I guess Europeans are just more intellectually evolved tongue.gif). The short ending was the 'happy' ending-or at least as happy as it could have been. The real ending was what the director really wanted to express. Which is tragic that they had to cut it for the States because so much of the whole movie just leads up to the ending, but in a way that requires a lot of thinking in order to appreciate it. It's not an easy one.

But anyway-the ending: Sarah finally finds an opening and gets out, supposedly. That scene where she's emerging, bloody, from that small hole in the cave is such obvious symbolism-we would like to think that after all she had experienced down there, she was being reborn, overcoming her tragedy earlier in the movie. But when she wakes up in the cave and sees her daughter again, it was clear that by that time, she had lost her mind completely. Yeah, she kicked ass and overcame a lot, but how would she ever have been able to rejoin society after going through something so horrific? Which is why she *chose* to stay down there at that point. All of her friends and loved ones were dead, and all that was left was darkness.

Most American filmgoers like to have everything wrapped up and solved, which is why it would've been hard for us to swallow something like that-did she or didn't she get out? I know we were all rooting for her, but I just don't think that was the point of the ending. So maybe she did actually get out, but she had gone so crazy by then, she started seeing shit (Juno in the car) and *descended* straight into madness. Who knows.

I thought the scene where she gets stuck in the tunnel, and Beth is trying to help her was particularly important. It was still earlier in the cave, before shit started getting really nasty, before Sarah really had to face her demons. Beth tells her 'you've already been through MUCH worse'. Sarah was so helpless until she had to start defending herself, until she found out about her husband and Juno.

The ending reminded me a lot of Thelma and Louise-totally ballsy, shocking, depressing, but ultimately, appropriate and couldn't have been done any other way to fully illustrate the intention of the director. It left me with such a huge, painful lump in my throat that just hasn't been able to come out yet.

I thought the film itself was beautiful-the overhead forest scenes while they were driving, the score, the colors, the mood and pace of the film. I also of course loved in the beginning when she jumps out of the hospital bed and she's running down the hallway, as the lights shut off one by one behind her. It just so perfectly portrayed the beginning of her own Descent.

It's a shame that the movie was so difficult to market as anything but a bland horror film, because there really was so much more. It was a friend of mine who convinced me otherwise-he's a film buff and he spoke so highly of it that I gave it a try. My reaction to him at first was "yeah-right, that movie looked awful!"

I'm only half looking forward to the sequel...I mean, what else can they do? I wonder if it will take place in time before the story of the first one.

And yes, definitely a great, female-centric film. No silly sexual overtones-they didn't start kissing or anything-they were all smart, strong, real women. And I liked that they were all basically unknown actresses. If Angelina were in the movie it just would have been lame.

So-if anyone got a bad impression of The Descent from the previews, then I'd suggest giving it a chance, because if nothing else, it IS also a DAMN good horror movie! It scared the crap out of me!
kari
I like your list of women centric movies, vixen. There are a few on there that I need to see.

Thirties girl, I liked Friends With Money. Jennifer Anniston's character made me crazy! Letting that scum bag dude have part of her house cleaning wages. Ugh. I have not seen the other two by that director, but I would like to.

One actress I really like is Catherine Keener. I like just about everything she does. I especially liked her character in Into the Wild.

I think tomorrow I'm going to see Happy Go Lucky. Anyone seen it?
anna k
humanist, that was a great post about The Descent. That movie was really suspenseful and I felt so still watching it, then saying "Oh God, no" at certain parts.

I saw Let the Right One In last night, and it was incredible. I wrote a whole review of it to submit to a website I've been published on, so I don't want to get into it now, but it was a great film.
kari
Anna, I saw the trailer for Let the Right One In yesterday & it looks so deliciously creepy. Must see it.

So I saw Happy Go Lucky. Do not see it. It's terrible.
sassygrrl
Is Let the Right On In going to get a wide release? I missed it in Georgia, I didn't think it was here yet.

Has anyone seen Milk?

Thanks, kari. It looked like a low rental at best.

I've become addicted to www.spill.com lately. Their Twilight review was very funny.
tommynomad
I haven't seen Milk, but the poster just went up at the nearby Cineplex. The thought of Sean Penn in a role like that has me excied to use these movie passes.

Watched "The Big Swindle" last night. It's a great, gritty heist drama from about 5 years ago. It just predated the golden age (Vengeance trilogy, Scandal) of Korean cinema. Why does hollywood keep making superhero movies instead of writing original thrillrides like this?
thirtiesgirl
QUOTE(kari @ Dec 1 2008, 07:22 AM) *
So I saw Happy Go Lucky. Do not see it. It's terrible.

Aww, I liked it. I thought it was an interesting character study. I was actually prepared not to like it, since I'm such a cynic and easily get sick of "shiny, happy people" at the drop of a hat. But I didn't find Poppy's character to be ingratiating at all. She chose to look at things from a more open-minded perspective. For example, she could have totally carved a new asshole on her angry, pedantic driving instructor when he went off about how to be a good teacher. I mean, she's an elementary school teacher with a degree in the subject, so she *does* know a thing or two about teaching. But instead, she chose to let him rant away because she knew it would be futile to get in a big argument with him. Knowing me, I probably would have gone for the big argument and not changed the guy's opinion on anything. Much like the driving instructor, I can be one of those people who gets unhealthy enjoyment from a good argument, so I thought it was a testament to Poppy's mental and emotional health that she didn't need to engage in that way with him.

I also saw her openness and willingness to try things, from flamenco dancing to a date with a new guy, as a testament to her emotional health. How many times have I pooh-poohed a co-worker's suggestion to try salsa dancing, African dance or whatever, or been too afraid to open myself to the possibility of a new relationship because of all my negative thoughts. I mean, I like my negative thoughts as much as the next happy cynic, but I've discovered over the years that they don't always serve me well.

Even when something negative and scary happened to Poppy, she was able to take it in stride. I mean, it definitely shook her and made her stop and think, but she didn't go on about it for days (like I might have done). It didn't change her life or her outlook. It didn't change who she was.
kari
Sorry thirtiesgirl! I agree that Poppy was a nice person with many good attributes. However, the way she giggled nonstop at everything got on my last nerve. At the doctor's office while getting her back adjusted? Seriously? She drove me batty. I wonder if I would have liked it more if the actress toned it down a bit? She was waaaay over the top, to me. Oh god, the scene where she is on the date with the social worker & they do that bit about her eyes? Kill me now.

The other issue I had was that the movie just seemed disjointed. The most prominent example was the scene with Poppy and the schizophrenic man. I get what the scene was trying to convey, but it was just kind of stuck in there, not connected to anything else. Why was she wandering in that area? I kept waiting for something to happen, to be explained, but it never was.

vixen_within
Excellent review Humanist! About the ending, I am now confused about which version I saw - in it, Sarah escapes the caves, but sees Judo in the car. Did I see the original or the other one?

I saw Let The Right One In before I saw Twilight. It's one of the best vampire movies I've seen in a long time. I'm more of a Lost Boys fan girl, than The Hunger for instance, which required patience with the pacing and its esoteric plotting, but I liked this one a lot. I think it's because the story was loyal to the vampire myth in its details, and loyal to the experience of being bullied, and to what childhood friendships are like.

eta: Kari, Catherine Keener - agreed. For some reason I love the personality she kind of exudes in every one of her roles.
thirtiesgirl
I wish I'd seen Let The Right One In. I went and saw Twilight instead and should have waited for the DVD. For a supposed bunch of high school 'outsiders,' the vampire kids in Twilight were a mighty good looking bunch (by current Hollywood industry standards). I mean, the kid who played Edward Cullen was SO damn emo-looking, I thought for sure he was a member of Panic at the Disco.

For Catherine Keener fans - this weekend I rented a little-known 2007 indie film called An American Crime, starring Keener and Ellen Page (Juno, Hard Candy). I think it's one of those indies that went straight to video. I don't recall seeing any theatrical advertisements for it at all. It's a grim little movie, the true story (based on court documents) of Silvia Likens (Page), a 15 year old girl, who was abused and kept locked in Indiana housewife Gertrude Baniszewski's basement in the early 1960s. Baniszewski had agreed to take in Silvia and her younger sister Jenny for $20 a week when their parents, carnival circuit workers, traveled the carnival circuit for a season. Keener, as Baniszewski, is hardly a likable character...but she's not exactly evil, either. Just a very troubled woman dealing with financial hardship, raising 6 other children as a single mother, and (I'd guess, I believe accurately) a personality disorder. I'd assess Baniszewski as having borderline personality disorder, considering her emotional imbalances and the almost cult-like power she had over her children. The movie doesn't put a label on Baniszewski's behavior, but having studied borderline personality disorder in depth myself, the way she was able to 'divide and conquer' with her children, and got them to believe (because she believed it so completely herself) that Silvia was the "all evil" child, and her sister Jenny was "all good" is a common symptom of borderline disorder. The story is notable because it was the first case of child abuse that really made waves with the American public. The story was so shocking at the time, there were reports and interviews in Time magazine and other well-known news sources. Not a feel-good, uplifting movie, but Keener is absolutely chilling in it.
anna k
I had seen a movie last year called The Girl Next Door based on that story. It was sick and disturbing to watch, and my thoughts were, "This can't be real, this wouldn't really happen," until I read the story. It felt more sensationalized in the movie, but was just as disturbing as the real thing.
kari
Thanks for the Keener film rec, thirties girl! I will check it out.

This weekend I saw The Boy in the Striped Pajamas. I enjoyed it, though it was depressing of course. It's about a little boy who's dad is a higher up military man for Hitler.
anna k
I saw Milk tonight, and it was very good. Strong and sad but life-affirming, as corny as it sounds. Sean Penn was good, but I was more impressed by James Franco (who's grown more as an actor) and Emile Hirsch (who looks like a punk kid to me, but is a fantastic actor, especially with his mannerisms and gestures). I liked the use of real footage with the dramatized action, and the audience groaned when old footage of Anita Bryant appeared onscreen.
bottleblack
Humanist I agree with you about The Descent. Definetely one of the best 'horror' moves i've seen! So incredibly creepy and powerful, and the european ending is much preferred. I think on the dvd you can watch both endings. Personally a movie about getting lost in dark underground claustrophobia-inducing caves would be horror enough for me, but to add creatures into the mix...fuggedaboutit
bunnyb
Spoof Twilight screenplay laugh.gif
faerietails
I was torn between seeing Rachel Getting Married and Milk today; I opted for Rachel Getting Married since it's at greater risk of leaving sooner. I'll see Milk later this week. What I'm really dying to see is Australia, but I know I can watch that later. I'm just trying to take in all my limited release movies before heading back to Texas for a month on Friday. I have soooo much to catch up on now that school is out. (And I'm still dying to see Synecdoche, NY. It left my area before I had a chance to see it.)

Also, I had a face-to-face Julian Schnabel sighting on Wednesday!! My brain just went, "Face?? Purple pajama-like shirt?!! JULIAN SCHNABEL?!!!!!" all within a split second. Our eyes totally met. lol

I also came that close to natasha lyonne, but my brain was too busy processing schnabel and stephen fry, who was across the room.
alluna
So, I have the pleasure of sitting down to a Jim Carey movie this weekend.

Needless to say, I'm not the biggest fan... but there is a review to write. I'm looking forward to an obnoxious hour-and-a-half repeat of 'Liar Liar'. Does anyone have any good expectations of Yes Man? I'm so biased at this point that he may just end up surprising me. Maybe I'm just sour that someone already called dibs on reviewing Spirit.
rubberdollz
My husband and I rented some movies this past weekend and I can honestly say that it was a slightly disappointing weekend.

First - Dark Knight, totally sucked some ass! Christian Bale's voice in that movie was totally irritating and I kept wishing someone would just tell him to shut up.

Second - Hancock. Why oh why is there always a love story involved? Why can't it just be a good action movie without some weird twisted love story being concoted. Lame

Third - Teeth. Ok totally messed up movie with a lot of penises getting bit off! I was cracking up by the end when she learned to control it and then just bit them off when needed. Her character was irritating though because it seemed like she was so naive and dumb. Get out of la la land!
anna k
I thought Joker and Two-Face were the best parts of The Dark Knight, but the rest dragged.

Teeth was hilarious, and I saw it in a packed theater where the guys screamed at every castration scene and the girls were cracking up hard. It was great.

alluna, I've had the same thing happen to me, of reviewing movies for a website and not being into the film, like The Duchess or Married Life. I just give it a shot and a fair review.

I just watched Near Dark, and loved it so much. Such a fantastic film in the vampire-horror genre, and yet so underrated. Great cinematography, a cast that's perfect for their roles, they just look so rough and hard, especailly Lance Henrikson and Bill Paxton and Joshua Miller and Jenette Goldstein, all just right. It was dark and funny and did the vampire genre while not saying the word once, and the bar scene is classic.
ladylustlove
mmm i loved the dark knight.

Ok, three movies i saw recently.

4 christmases was freakin horrible. me n my girl walked out in the middle of it.

Nothing like the holidays was aight. Went to see it b/c it was filmed
in a neighborhood in the chi where i grew up. nothing too spectacular though.
Like alfred molina tho.

Milk was awesome. just a classic good docudrama.

PS for those who like Pride n prejudice, the other boleyn girl, etc. see the Duchess.
Loved it!
ladylustlove
QUOTE(vixen_within @ Nov 22 2008, 01:39 PM) *
ETA: But I saw a really good Vampire movie a couple days before - Let The Right One In got it done.

ooh just added that on my netflix, looks good.

PS anyone interested in The Spirit? I can't wait til that one comes out.
missladyj
I want to see The Spriit for sure

I watched Lost Boys 2 last night . So bad it was good. Corey Feldman was awesome. everyone else sucked. They used a version of the song Cry Little Sister, which of course sucked dick. It was horrible but I like seeing vampires that drink human blood and fuck ( Unlike Edward Cullen , lamest vampire EVAH!!! and no I haven't seen twilight and don't intend to either)
tommynomad
I just got the opportunity to see a few films after flying round-trip to Canada:

The Garbage Warrior was really inspiring. Not the kind of inspiring where you cry a little and tell your friends to see it, but the kind of inspiring where you consider turning your life upside down to follow an idea. Serious heroism.

In Bruges was cute and darkly funny, well-performed, and just lovely. It also taught me never to read about movies before seeing them again, because reviewers are so hyperbolic that no film can live up to the standards they describe.

Juno was the only one Shenomad and I watched together, and we had a great time. The "tell the parents" conversation was a little too contrived, but that was my only real minus in an otherwise fine film.

The Wackness made me laugh--a lot. Ben Kingsley is the greatest living actor, hands-down.
alluna
Poop, I meant to see The Duchess, but I haven't yet. Man, the book is drier than Joan Rivers, so I'm hoping the movie is better.

WHAT is the deal with Will Smith movies??? Hancock was chugging along just fine until the whole freakin movie changed right in the middle. WHY bring in the chick and turn it into a badly contrived love story? Because that's how Will Smith rolls. He should have taken a hint from the Men in Black days and left the lame love stories (ala Hitch -gag, choke-) to the real cheesy professionals like Nicholas Cage (-barf-) Hancock would have been awesome if it was just about his relationship with the people and his Arrested Development P.R. buddy.

Will Smith movies always seem to portray him as a super-good-at-something guy. The movies always rock 2/3 of the way through, then the last 1/3 gets gummed up with some kind of crappy sap that makes you want to roll out of your chair and stick Twizzlers in your eyes. Still, I remain a fan.

Rant complete. Mebbe I'm just sad that I'm about to go look at Jim Carey for an hour and a half. unsure.gif
auralpoison
Will Smith is America's favorite non-threatening black man. Even Denzel gets to be a badass every now & again, but never Will Smith. He's the human equivalent of taupe.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.