Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Reel Life: The Movie Thread
The BUST Lounge > Forums > Media Whores
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51
bunnyb
Volver , The History Boys and Capote were definite movie highlights this year and I also watched Melinda and Melinda on dvd and loved it (although I know many of you didn't) and When the Wind Blows left a lasting impression.

Dogma is fantastic and I can't believe I omitted it from my top ten comedies!
sybarite
I hesitate to say this because it goes against my cynicism towards Hollywood movies, but this year was a particularly good one for films, mainstream and indie. Some of my favourite films from this year were:
The Queen, The Prestige, The Departed, Syriana (released later in Europe I think), Good Night and Good Luck (ditto), an excellent indie Scottish film called Red Road, Tsotsi, from the South African novel, Little Fish, a hard-bitten Aussie film about a dysfunctional family starring Cate Blanchett, and United 93.

Looking forward to Babel and the sequel to Elizabeth with Cate again for next year...
nickclick
crazy, Moonstruck is a wonderful movie! not only because my family is NY Italians.... i bought opera tickets for my parents for xmas, and i know when they open them the first thing my mom is gonna bring up is the scene when Cher and Nicholas Cage go to the Met.

Do you love him, Loretta?
Aw, ma, I love him awful.
Oh, God, that's too bad.

the movies that really stick out in my memory from this year are The Departed and finally seeing North Country.
WasabiNinja
OMG! They are making a sequel to Elizabeth? I can't wait for that.

ChaChaHeels, I wholeheartedly agree. It is infinitely better to watch a film that is going to make your mind do super aerial flips and shit. Freaks rule the school. (I'll be thinking of you later while I watch Female Trouble)

And can I just say that The Aristocrats was a colossal piece of shit and the joke was so stupid. And also it's really really bad when the best part of a movie is a scene with Bob Saget.

I don't do Woody Allen since the whole Soon Yi thing. Homewreckers stuff turns me off.

The Best of the Year:

Little Miss Sunshine
The Queen
Volver
The History Boys
Favela Rising

*I think 2006 was The year of Documentaries. I coulnd't get enough of them.

sybarite
Oooh, I forgot about Little Miss Sunshine. I laughed myself stupid during that.

Wasabininja, it's called The Golden Age and has a fab cast including my boyfriend Clive Owen as Raleigh.
chachaheels
Why, Female Trouble and I go way, way back. It's where I got my "name"! Enjoy, enjoy, enjoy, but save the eating for later, especially if you're a first time viewer.

The new David Lynch film--I'll be thinking of you when I watch that one, WasabiN.

Okay, I gotta admit to a big love for Moonstruck, too: it was filmed in Toronto, on St. Clair Ave; Cher buys her evening dress for the Met date at a store I bought my prom dress in, many, many years ago; and the store Cher's "aunt and uncle" own is still there, though it looks nothing at all like it did when they used it for the film. For years, all the merchants on that street had photos where they posed with Cher, with extended family members and customers all surrounding a very happy and gracious looking star.

It's a very familiar story, with nothing really original or new; but the cast worked so well together (Cher and Olympia Dukakis really did look like mother and daughter) and the writing was really good.
anna k
I never saw Moonstruck, but I liked Cher in the movie clips, and felt for her in Mask. Cher is Armenian-French, and Olympia is Greek, but they could both pass for Italian in that film, much like my Italian Catholic grandma passes for Jewish.
WasabiNinja
Dearest ChaChaHeels, I am no Female Trouble Virgin. I'll be tuggin' at my taffy as if it were an umbilicord artery...with a hot toddy of course. And "I wouldn't suck your dick if I were suffocating and there was oxygen in your balls". God, love that movie.

Sybarite, Um...How can I break this to you gently? Clive Owen is my fucking boyfriend and you better keep your lips off that sumptuous face or I'll come to your area code and make female trouble m'kay? I jest of course. But I love him. I can't think of many actors that I want to hump so desperately but he is on the top of my list. Perhaps it is because he is so off limits, I dunno but he makes my panties go all viscous. Sorry if I just went TMI on you, but the guy does something to me. On a side note, thank you for enlightening me. I had no idea such a tour de force was in the works.

Now for my worst of 2006:

A History of Violence - I didn't understand the hoopla at all.
Failure To Launch
The Island
Marie Antoinette - though I do love Sofia Coppola, she didn't really do this story justice.
Turistas- Oddly enough I have a freind who sort of stars in this film. I guess that is the one and only reason I would ever subject myself to this kind of idiocy.

chachaheels
You have my respect, WasabiNinja (and as a special bonus, I will not ever fight you for the Clive Owen access). And thanks for reminding me of the wealth of possible screen names Female Trouble makes available to viewers. Have you noticed how much less civilized the world has become because we no longer have Divine? I have.

wombat
Hah! I knew that, chachaheels! Very cool reference! I suppose "I'm the most beautiful!!" would be too long for a screen name.

We just Netflixed Hairspray so we could listen to the commentary and figure out what song they play in the black kids' gymnasium... turns out it's an old Ike and Tina Turner tune. It is so great.

Moonstruck was, in a way, a traditional romance, but it had enough weird elements:"You lost your arm on purpose because you were like a racoon in a trap!!" to be cool. Also, genuinely sweet.

"When the moon hits your eye like a big pizza pie, That's amoré!"
ginger_kitty
Chacha, no it's not the Madden, Archangel. It's a British film I think, it' pretty new.

My top five:

The Departed
Thumbsucker
Transamerica
Layer Cake
An Inconvient Truth

Worst Five:

The Superman Movie
Last Days (that story about Kurt Cobain's last few days)
Brown Bunny
Didn't they make a sequel to Basic Instinct? I didn't see that but it's my list.
I'll Sleep When I am Dead
girltrouble
wow i have american films on my list... whoooooo! ok... maybe one.

top 5 movies i've seen in '06
*bright future*
3iron
save the green planet
(sympathy for)lady vengance
last life in the universe
inconvient truth

ok, inconvienent truth is six, but it was almost there...
and yay! running on karma is out on dvd!

i just saw chumscrubber... i looooooved it! has anyone else seen it?
chachaheels
Which Ike and Tina song, Wombat? I've heard John Waters talk about how the music he chose for that movie all came from 1962, purposely; the year was significant to the music and politics. Whenever I think about the Hairspray musical that's being staged now all over the place, I wonder how any of Waters' ideas translated without the score of the film. I love that movie to death (I have a video tape of the movie that's as old as the film is, and it's been played so often the video quality has deteriorated!).

Anyway, I have loads of ironing to do...and my diet pills are wearing off!
sybarite
See, I hate to insist, but Clive is mine. I'm stroking his hair right this second as we lie by the fire, trading opinions on films of the year.

I'm ambivalent about the prospect of a new David Lynch movie after the crowd pleasing antics of Mulholland Drive. I loved The Straight Story but apparently it was too straight for the diehard fans who just wanted more weirdness.

I am glad An Inconvenient Truth was made and distributed so widely, but as a film I thought it was somewhat dumbed down. Props to Gore and his team though to get to so many people.
chachaheels
The Straight Story was about the man who travels on his rider mower to see his brother? I thought it was plenty weird enough. That scene where the woman passes him on his journey in her speeding car, followed by the accident with the deer? Lynch was written all over it. Sometimes what seems banal is actually bubbling over with darkness.

I haven't heard about the newer Archangel. Was it just released? Tell me more!
designermedusa
My favorite film of the year was Half Nelson.
ginger_kitty
chacha, Here is a link to the movie Archangel, I hate to say to much an ruin in it.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/drama/archangel/daniel_craig.shtml

Sybarite, I agree with what you're saying about an Inconvenient Truth. But I think they just tried to explain it as simply as possible so everyone that sees it will understand.

I liked Straight Story, too. I admire Lynch's work even the really out there stuff, but sometimes his extremes leave me only liking his work when I am in a certain mood.
chachaheels
Archangel seems like a really interesting film--starring Daniel Craig! He looks perfect for the part, too, in that photo. Is this a BBC film made for television that we'll only be able to get here on DVD?

If it is, I'll look out for it. Thanks for the link!
anna k
Looking through my LJ, I saw that I had seen a lot of movies. Here's the ones I recorded:

Jackass 2 (in a packed theater with people groaning and yelling at the screen)
Saw III (big squirm factor)
Hair High (animated film about 1950s teenagers)
The Science of Sleep (nice little movie)
The Devil Wears Prada (nice enjoyable movie)
A Prairie Home Companion (enjoyable but not great)
Hostel (ridiculous and stupid)
Turistas (same as Hostel)
Clean (great movie with Maggie Cheung and Nick Nolte)
The Heart is Deceitful Above All Things (messy and weird, but I enjoyed it at the time)
Volver (great movie)
Inland Empire (long and exhausting, but good in some parts)
The Last Atomic Bomb (documentary about Nagasaki survivor, great little movie)
Marie Antoinette (fun and stylish)
The Prestige (cool movie)
girltrouble
oh my god, anna k, i loved clean... i will see anything by maggie cheung. i think she is sooo beautiful.....
ginger_kitty
My hubby dragged me to watch the new Rocky movie. I surprisingly didn't hate it. The story was pretty good but it had a really sad overtone. It reminded me of the first Rocky which I really liked.
bunnyb
Went to see Flushed Away on Christmas Eve and De ja vu on Boxing Day (26th): the former was entertaining and the latter really, really good. I'm a fan of Denzel Washington anyway but he was great in this, it had some funny one-liners and was a good plot (albeit some unexplained parts). There were disturbing parts, however, especially when one part filmed was in a badly hit (by Katrina) part of New Orleans.
anna k
For next year, I'm looking forward to Knocked Up (the new Judd Apatow movie), Black Snake Moan, Spiderman 3, and Grind House.
gogosgirl
me too, anna k, but I also need to see 300, pan's labyrinth, and children of men.
girltrouble
oh god, i soo want to see 300, pan's lab and children of men. i love a great dystopia film. really. i will watch anything with a bleak view of the future, and, strangely enough, i will watch revenge torture films too. i just saw hard candy which i liked. but it reminded me of death and the maiden, and i tiny bit of sympathy for lady vengance.....seems if a woman tracks an asshole down, ties him up and tortures him, i am strangely interested...hmmmm i think it's my domina tendencies...lol
mandolyn
i'm not sure i loved little miss sunshine. toni collette was annoyingly shrill and/or absent, and the sad parts were really sad. it's like it was an unbalanced mix of laughs and tears, if that makes any sense. and normally i appreciate bittersweet flicks. still, several cuts above the dreck, that's for sure, and i hope it wins something.

i watched prime last night, and was unexpectedly, happily surprised. definitely more substance than the usual crap romantic comedy.

and we now own pirates of the carribbean, dead man's chest (mmmmm, johnny depp, mmmmmmm), but it so loses half its appeal on the small screen. i want to see it in the theater again. or maybe we need to look into the cost of one of those megahuge tv's.
girltrouble
i am so excited i am about to pee myself. one of my all time favorite movies is finally about to be released here in the us. something i thought would never happen.

TEARS OF THE BLACK TIGER
which was made in 2000 and bought by miramax immediately and then shelved (something the assholes there like to do), is going to come out on jan 12. i've waited 7 years to see this movie again. i saw it at the seattle film festival, where i was working at the time, and among the staff and the local papers this was THE movie to see that year. there were only i think 4 screenings scheduled before miramax bought it, so while it's done very well all over the world. it's remained unshown her in the us.

it is absolutely like nothing out there. it's a thai film and filmed with eyepoping colors, the sumptuous pinks and greens still stick in my mind some 6 years later. it's a soap opera, western, chop-socky film that is... memorable. i love this movie so much i can't find words to describe it. so here's links:

kfc cinema-- the best view of asian movies

rotten tomatoes

imdb

pollystyrene
I saw Pan's Labyrinth today- it was very good. Sort of a violent version of MirrorMask, with less fantasy stuff.

I'm really looking forward to Perfume: The Story of a Murderer- it comes out at the end of this next week (at least in Chicago- I think it's already playing in other cities.)
anna k
Just saw Dreamgirls:

Eddie was awesome in Steppin' to the Bad Side. I was feeling good for him singing his "I got SOUL!" number 'till it fell apart.

I forgot that Fatima Robinson did the choreography. I like her a lot, she seems incredibly talented and cool. She also appeared as one of the girl group singers in the group the Dreamettes went on after.

Anika Noni Rose was great, the audience cracked up hard as she was rhapsodizing about her relationship with Jimmy Early in the dressing room.

Jennifer Hudson got on my nerves when singing her big song. It was just too much screaming and overwrought, all over the place. I get her pain and anger, it just got annoying to listen to.

The farewell concert reminded me of A Diva's Christmas Carol from VH1.

Beyonce and Jamie Foxx were fine.
sybarite
Perfume is good; sumptuous and visceral. It's pretty demanding though; it's over 2 hours and demands more than the usual amount of suspension of disbelief. The director (Run Lola Run's Tom Twyker) does an effective job of immersing you into the world of 18th century French muckiness though.

I know what you mean about Little Miss Sunshine, Mando. I actually though Toni Collette's role was the weakest by far; all she did was react to everyone else around her, and I love Toni Collette.

Um, I thought the guy Uma falls for in Prime was quite cute, actually...
WasabiNinja
Whoa! Watched Hard Candy last night and it was awesome. Thanks to the BUSTie who recommended that gem!

Saw Domino and though it wasn't all that and a bag of chips. That man Edgar Ramirez was fucking hot!

I sat alone and watched The Family Stone during my little holiday hangover. I liked it but it made me weepy.

I curled up with my little one and watched Barnyard and The Ant Bully. I recommend both as films you can enjoy with your children. As opposed to those particular films that send you to the other side of the house.
ginger_kitty
Saw Scanner Darkly and really liked it! It was kind of trippy.
chachaheels
I just rented Hard Candy too--and it really, really reminded me of Death and the Maiden. For some reason, however, I got the impression that an awful lot of effort was being put into making you hate that little girl! Much more than I felt towards Sigourney Weaver in the other film (maybe it was because in Hard Candy our maiden seemed to be out to avenge another victim, and Weaver was merely focused on making her torturer admit the truth about what he did to her). These films are similar to the one made by Farrah Fawcett way back in the 80's, where she survives being raped and conquers over her assailant, again, by having him admit what he did publically.

It's interesting to see how that concept has evolved over the three decades--Farrah's triumph means the rapist is completely broken by his victim, and willingly confesses his crime to the police; Sigourney's triumph over her torturer/rapist means her assailant is completely broken in confessing (because his past is exposed to his peers); and Hard Candy's heroine triumphs not just by getting a confession but SPOILER also by taking his own life in a particularly humiliating way.

Almost like there is a progression towards what is considered "just" in each situation SPOILER!!--we go from a naive one, in that justice will be served by the law, to one where it can't be served by the law and has to be delivered vigilante style. That's bothering me a bit, though I have to say the film was really involving.

WasabiN, didn't the bulls with the udders bug you just a little?
girltrouble
i don't know, i thought that justice in hard candy was about right, it wasn't just SPOILER! a humiliating suicide, but also the loss of what he seemed to view as his "true love" --the girl he always pined for."

and i really didn't hate the girl, i thought she was kick ass, i just wondered if she had the right guy or not. but i didn't care how she called herself 'crazy', or that she said she hated goldfrapp. how can you hate goldfrapp?!?

and if you haven't seen (sympathy for) lady vengance, i really can't recommend it highly enough. it's part of the director's revenge trilogy (along with sympathy for mr. vengance, and oldboy), it starts off as a straight ahead revenge flick, but is all about personal redemption, if not for the killer. funny, sad, smart thoughtful, and one of the best movies of '06 if you ask me.

i also neglected another revenge movie before death and the maiden, it was "closetland" with madeline stowe. very good.
chachaheels
I know what you mean about the justice part--I'm just noticing a change in the mindset about what appropriate "justice" would be. There is less faith, shall we say, in things like law, or in things like public moral censure or being ostracized by one's peers. It's as if it's being acknowledged that these criminals will never be truly seen as criminals in our world. And I kinda agree with that--but also have my dispute with that idea too.

SPOILER!!! I thought he'd already "lost" the love of his life, as she'd left him a long, long time ago. The love of his life was summoned to find his suicide and his full confession about the molestation and murder of the missing/killed girl. The fact that our heroine tells him that she's set things up this way humiliates him so deeply that he's completely destroyed--not just by being found out, but because he's found out by the girl he's been obsessed with for years, who could never love him after knowing about what he'd done. So of course he kills himself--he truly has nothing to live for, even if he does get away with the molestation/murder of his victim.

But I'd never say boo about goldfrapp, myself; and when it was going on in the movie, I really got this sense that I was definitely being manipulated to feel so strongly against this girl (and even her contempt with that word! that got to me too). Which bugged me.

I'm going to hunt down those titles you mentioned, Girltrouble.
WasabiNinja
ChaCha, Yes! Bulls with udders was alittle vexing. I had to explain to my five year old that it wasn't an anatomically correct depiction of boy cows. but you can never go wrong with Sam Elliott. Er...with the exception of Roadhouse.

I didn't hate the chick in Hard Candy at all. I also dislike Goldfrapp which isn't a popular opinion among my circles. So, this was girl after my own heart. The more I think about the movie the more I like it.

Finally going to see Volver! I know it won't disapoint.

girltrouble
love this poster:
IPB Image
nnnnGAAAA!
chacha--- i realised when you said that you were looking up some of the movies i listed that even though we are talking about revenge movies, you should BE WARNED "oldboy" is NOT for the faint of heart.

"oldboy" has EXTREMELY disturbing scenes of torture. "mr. vengence", less so and lady vengence is the most subtle-- with much of the violence implied, these are korean revenge movies, and much like their japanese counter parts, they are operatic in scale, jacobian --"the cook, the thief, his wife and her lover"-like over the top tales.

that said, oldboy, with all of its flaws, is one hell of a complex ride and not a film you will forget anytime soon. since you were noting the change in filmic view of revenge, you will love watching all three and seeing how the director's idea of revenge changes from mr. v to ladyv. each film handles the topic differently, and thematically--and retorically, they are resolved in the last. i usually hate the whole trilogy thing, these are fantastic, if violent.

while i am talking about asian movies, i have to mention a few other revenge movies-- mostly cos i can't resist talking about asian films, especially (south) korean films. "samarian girl," while by a different director, would be a good film to see in a similar vein, and if you have a very strong stomach, (ie, oldboy never made you flinch) you probably know "the auditon" so see "the isle" good and slow, but brutal with one of ki-duk's trademark metaphoric conclusions.

while "memories of murder" and "3 iron" don't quite fit in the category, they aren't really larger than life exactly, but there is a strong element of revenge in them. directed by the same guy who did the brutal film "the isle", ki-duk kim's 3 iron is one of my favorite romantic comedies--i don't know what else to call it-- because it's so different. sweet, sad, and lovely, it's not bloody like the rest of the movies ive mentioned, but there is sudden violence, which is all the more shocking because of the rest of the movie's laconic, lazy, slacker tone. but like lady v, there is something beautifly graceful about the film's conclusion. and i love the ending. unexpected, but strangely wonderful. if you know wong kar-wai's "chungking express" this is similar in it's original idea and romantic longing. "memories of murder" is for my money, one of the smartest, most honest serial killer/asian noir/detective pics. based on south korea's first serial killer-- who was never caught-- this is about police impotance, police brutality, and how in real life, there are no simple, neat, clean answers.

i <3 korean films!
great reviews are also at:kfccinema
chan wook-park films
imdb: sympathy for mr. vengence
imdb: oldboy
imdb: (sympathy for) lady vengence
ki-duk kim films
imdb: samarian girl
imdb: 3-iron
imdb: the isle
joon-ho bong
imdb: memories of murder
WasabiNinja
"Try the cock" still gives me the creeps.
chachaheels
"Try the cock" still makes me laugh out loud! I so hated that yuppy criminal bastard, WasabiN.

Girltrouble, I'm going to be busy for a while just clicking your links--but I loves yer posts, ladies!
auralpoison
Champing at the bit for Perfume. CHAMPING.

Watched the Family Stone with a friend over the holidays. My friend complained because he didn't find any of the characters "likeable". All I could think to say was, wow. You've never spent the holidays with your family as adults, huh? He hadn't.
karianne
Oooh, Perfume is finally opening here this weekend. As is Little Children and Children of Men . I see movies in my immediate future!

Favorites of the year: Half Nelson, The Queen, The Prestige.

This weekend I saw Sweetland , which was enjoyable though a bit slow for me. Last night I watched
Lovely and Amazing and really liked it. I really liked Catherine Keener's character, though she wasn't necessarily a very nice person. I thought the girl who played Annie just nailed it.
WasabiNinja
I love Catherine Keener but has she ever played a nice person? Maybe that what appeals me to her so much, she's kind of a bitch but lovable.

I really want to see The Queen in the theater but it is playing at one location at very inconvenient times of the day. Don't mean to be whiny, I just like to see the big Golden Globe, Oscar and Spirit award contenders.
anna k
She's nice in The 40-Year Old Virgin and Box of Moonlight.
WasabiNinja
I never get tired of The 40 year Old Virgin. A true masterpiece.

I Tivo'd Brokeback Mountain so I think I'm going to watch me some hot gay cowboy action while I'm home alone. I know you all envy me. smile.gif
bunnyb
Catherine Keener was fabulous as Harper Lee in Capote.
mandolyn
the family stone could've and should've been a much better movie. it had all the ingredients, but fell short.

i have yet to see the 40 year old virgin. i'm probably the only person in america who hasn't seen it.

and i don't like catherine keener. there. i said it. *ducking rotten tomatoes*

i watched lost in translation again last night. every time i watch it, i fall in love with it a little more. bill murray's subtly is genius. the scene where he's in the tub when his wife calls ... just got me ... made me teary. sniff.
anna k
I just saw a 1961 film called Something Wild, a Method acting-style film starring Carroll Baker. It was good, but long and depressing. A young woman is raped (it's pretty quick but brutal), and after being in shock and having a breakdown, she leaves her parents' home to fend for herself in the Lower East Side, living in a rooming house (Jean Stapleton plays her flirty neighbor, all Edith Bunker squeal) and working in a dime store (Doris Roberts is her co-worker, and sounds the same as today). She tries to commit suicide, but is saved by a lonely mechanic who gets piss-drunk at night and keeps her locked in his apartment so she'll be his wife. It gets very intense and stage-y, with silence and yelling and one-sentence lines. The ending is depressing and sad.
girltrouble
*throws a rotten tomato at mandy*

mandy, i adore you, but catherine keener is god's gift to the world. not loving her is heresy!

i have the hugest crush on CK...i'll see anything she's in. i luuuuuuurve her.*has a baby butta moment*
someday i'll have her baby...

sixelacat
*joins Mando in being a The 40 Year Old Virgin virgin* We'll make t-shirts and have a secret handshake....

although, I DO love Catherine Keener. Or, did. I just saw Friends with Money last week....not so great. I may need to re-watch Being John Malkovich or Death to Smoochy to remember why I love her.....
calpurnia
Apologies for posting relating to old posts.

Re the mumbling Heath in Brokeback Mountain (which sometimes annoyed the hell outa me cos I had to keep rewinding the dvd). Having read the novella, this was really a manifestation of the character and true to the original story and, although annoying, I appreciated the genuineness.

Looking forward to seeing Volver and Babel (and not much else at the moment).

I know this is going way back, but would just like to share my thoughts on Rent. I saw a stage production of this a few years back and agree it makes a better stage show than movie. However, this was a movie I was able to enjoy with my (early) teenage daughters and which encourage much discussion after about HIV/AIDS, homosexuality, drug use and general 'life' issues. Perhaps a little known fact about Rent is that the writer/composer (Jonathon Larson) died of a heart condition just before the show opened off-Broadway in 1996 (he never experienced any of the production's success). Sure, the movie (and the stage show) is dated - it reflects the writers' lives in the late 80s/early 90s - but I kinda appreciate that - I don't necessarily want movies to only relate to the now.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.